• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

AndyD

aka andydumi

nan0

Hello! I'm trying to fix a webcam on a laptop for someone...

It's an Acer Aspire 5534 (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit) with an integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam.

The webcam is not appearing on the Device Manager at all. There is not even an "Imaging Device" or "Unknown" section in there, nor any problems found.

I've tried all the drivers off Acer's support page (liteon, Chicony, Suyin) for the camera, and they all give me, "No video capture device was detected on your system.".

The only thing my Google-fu-ing could come up with is that the webcam has probably become disconnected inside the thing.

Would like some feedback if it's not too much to ask, please!

Could the webcam be disabled via key combination, hardware switch or BIOS?

Could the webcam be disabled via key combination, hardware switch or BIOS?

I looked all over for a button on the laptop and didn't find one. I can't check the BIOS since I already gave the laptop back. Didn't think of that...

Thanks for the reply though!

fawaz

Banned
how would you watch season 2 when it doesnt release till the 19th? does xbox have some kind of deal with HBO? We pre-ordered it from wal-mart and got to watch epi 1 early but have to wait for the rest of the season.

I didn't know it still hadn't been released at the time. The gist of it is there was a glitch where you could watch it early by searching for season 2 on the dashboard and choosing the episode you wanted to watch then clicking on the xbox video app from the options (the other two options were hbo go and some fiber company).

The problem was you would have to pay for the whole season to watch each episode. This is because if you access the second season from the xbox video app, it would appear as if it hadn't released yet.

After some googling, it appears like I am the only one who discovered this useless glitch (unless money isn't an issue). I haven't tried it on other shows, so it might work on them too.

Ashhong

Here's fine too lol. You go there, and they'll be strong arming you into getting a brand new IVB system or waiting for a Haswell machine.

That 4870 is still a very viable card for low res, single monitor gaming; you should overclock the s.o.b using Ati Tray Tools

ATI Tray Tools from Guru 3D

A very nice app that over and underclocks your card to whatever speeds/voltages you want it to be at, including profile support for multiple user scenarios and FPS overlay support. I use it to squeeze abit more life out of my 4 year old heavily abused laptop 4670 card lol. The last update was in November 2011 but for our outdated cards it suits us just fine.

As for that intel E7400, since we're talking pre i5/i7 architecture before Intel locked out FSB/base freq overclocking in the Non K cards (2500K/2600K for example), you should be good to with simple FSB overclocking in the BIOS as the mulitpliers are locked in the non Extreme, mainstream versions of the processors. Your BIOS should have the details, you should be good to go to 3 - 3.5 GHz depending on your cooling system (aftermarket or stock Intel cooler?)

Hey thanks for the advice, sorry I'm replying so late. I finally went into my BIOS today and did some tweaking, and it came out to 4ghz. Going by various threads on the internet this seems pretty damn high, and I'm running Prime95 right now and it seems to be ok. FSB is at 400 with a multiplier of 10, core voltage at 1.360. I am running an aftermarket cooler with that Arctic Silver stuff, though I forgot the brand now.

My CPU temp isnt going above 57F right now, though it is a cold day. As long as my comp doesnt crash am I good to go? 4.0GHZ seems so high...

edit: experiencing some screen tearing / twitching of some sort in League of Legends..due to my OC? Haven't even gotten to OC my GPU yet.

Hey thanks for the advice, sorry I'm replying so late. I finally went into my BIOS today and did some tweaking, and it came out to 4ghz. Going by various threads on the internet this seems pretty damn high, and I'm running Prime95 right now and it seems to be ok. FSB is at 400 with a multiplier of 10, core voltage at 1.360. I am running an aftermarket cooler with that Arctic Silver stuff, though I forgot the brand now.

My CPU temp isnt going above 57F right now, though it is a cold day. As long as my comp doesnt crash am I good to go? 4.0GHZ seems so high...

edit: experiencing some screen tearing / twitching of some sort in League of Legends..due to my OC? Haven't even gotten to OC my GPU yet.

4 GHz is brilliant for a Core 2 chip, I'm amazed you could POST successfully and get into Windows, but then again you are using an aftermarket cooler.

I recommend you use 2 instances of Prime95 (one for each core) for at least 6 hours if you want to be absolutely sure of your system stability. Other hardcore OCers would recommend at least 12 - 24 hours for 100% certainty.

If you want a much more rigorous test that will expose the underlying instabilities of your system caused by an excessive overclock in just minutes instead of hours, you should use LinX, which is a Linpack based CPU Stability Tester and benchmark.

This software is designed to be even more thorough than Prime95, your system will definitely BSOD within minutes if your OC is not 100% stable, just a heads up.

As to the screen tearing in LoL, are you using Vsync? The twitching could be due to other things though.

Try out LinX and also the ATI Tray Tools app I linked to in my previous post for your graphics card.

So has anyone experienced a nvlddmkm crash ? My computer along with two of my friends all have the same graphics card and we keep running into this error it causes artifacts and display kernel recoveries

So has anyone experienced a nvlddmkm crash ? My computer along with two of my friends all have the same graphics card and we keep running into this error it causes artifacts and display kernel recoveries

Sounds like your typical NVIDIA driver crash. Are you using the latest drivers for your NVIDIA card? What is the model of your card and in which instance do you encounter those crashes?

Sounds like your typical NVIDIA driver crash. Are you using the latest drivers for your NVIDIA card? What is the model of your card and in which instance do you encounter those crashes?

I have the gigabyte 560ti and I had the latest drivers but right now I went back to the ones from last year before all this started happening. Its been going on randomly off and on. Not once has it ever crashed during a gaming session which is odd. I did see something on there forum about turning off a file in windows 7 that is linked to cause this but I do not know the repercussions since they say its against windows agreement.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Super dumb network question, haven't been able to google a direct answer.

Bought a new house.

Downstairs has a cable/internet connection in the living room wall I'm using with a splitter for TV/Wireless internet.

Upstairs I have my desktop computer, and another cable outlet in the wall. Can I just buy another modem and Ethernet it directly into my desktop? Would there be any reasons not to do this?

Was thinking about putting the internet router upstairs but the reception on my router isn't great through the 2nd story floor.

Ashhong

4 GHz is brilliant for a Core 2 chip, I'm amazed you could POST successfully and get into Windows, but then again you are using an aftermarket cooler.

I recommend you use 2 instances of Prime95 (one for each core) for at least 6 hours if you want to be absolutely sure of your system stability. Other hardcore OCers would recommend at least 12 - 24 hours for 100% certainty.

If you want a much more rigorous test that will expose the underlying instabilities of your system caused by an excessive overclock in just minutes instead of hours, you should use LinX, which is a Linpack based CPU Stability Tester and benchmark.

This software is designed to be even more thorough than Prime95, your system will definitely BSOD within minutes if your OC is not 100% stable, just a heads up.

As to the screen tearing in LoL, are you using Vsync? The twitching could be due to other things though.

Try out LinX and also the ATI Tray Tools app I linked to in my previous post for your graphics card.

My LoL stopped tearing last night after I set my GPU to the default clocks of 750/1800 instead of 500/1800. For some reason the ATI Overdrive wasn't working right. It wouldn't activate the high performance mode when I wanted.

I also ran Intel Burn Test last night with no errors.

Running LinX right now and no BSOD but it did stop after 7 minutes with an error, but no details about that error. Is it ok since it didn't BSOD?

Edit: damn, ati tray tools crashes my computer everytime I set the profile to load at launch. I'm not even overlocking it! Not sure why it keeps crashing..

8byte

Banned
Google Chrome constantly crashes my display driver (AMD). Anyone know why this happens? No other browser or program does it. Very annoying.

Hardware acceleration turned off in the other browsers? Could be a flash player issue as well. My drivers constantly crash and I have been suffering this for almost a year but thats some of the suggestions I have came across

My LoL stopped tearing last night after I set my GPU to the default clocks of 750/1800 instead of 500/1800. For some reason the ATI Overdrive wasn't working right. It wouldn't activate the high performance mode when I wanted.

I also ran Intel Burn Test last night with no errors.

Running LinX right now and no BSOD but it did stop after 7 minutes with an error, but no details about that error. Is it ok since it didn't BSOD?

Edit: damn, ati tray tools crashes my computer everytime I set the profile to load at launch. I'm not even overlocking it! Not sure why it keeps crashing..

As long as your PC remains operational throughout the duration of the test, the OC should be okay.

Hmm... does the PC crash when you just ask the program to auto load at launch without setting up a profile (monitoring mode)? The program allows for setting up custom voltages for your card even for the default clocks and it may have defaulted to one that is not supported by your card.

Another important question that I should've asked from the beginning, which drivers are you currently using for your 4870 card?

For your reference, drivers after 11.12 for the 4xxx series do not have the necessary files (atipdlxx.dll) included in the driver package to support 3rd party overclocking tools like ATI Tray Tools. This usually manifests itself with an error when the application is started up.

I'm still sticking to 11.11a with 12.11 cap 2 as the 12.xx series reduces the overall performance of my 4670 card. YMMV, of course.

I have the gigabyte 560ti and I had the latest drivers but right now I went back to the ones from last year before all this started happening. Its been going on randomly off and on. Not once has it ever crashed during a gaming session which is odd. I did see something on there forum about turning off a file in windows 7 that is linked to cause this but I do not know the repercussions since they say its against windows agreement.

Hmm.. this is the first I've heard of this. This'd be troublesome to diagnose as typically problems would arise when the card is stressed, not when idling on the desktop. Does hardware accelerated video playback work properly?

Ashhong

As long as your PC remains operational throughout the duration of the test, the OC should be okay.

Hmm... does the PC crash when you just ask the program to auto load at launch without setting up a profile (monitoring mode)? The program allows for setting up custom voltages for your card even for the default clocks and it may have defaulted to one that is not supported by your card.

Another important question that I should've asked from the beginning, which drivers are you currently using for your 4870 card?

For your reference, drivers after 11.12 for the 4xxx series do not have the necessary files (atipdlxx.dll) included in the driver package to support 3rd party overclocking tools like ATI Tray Tools. This usually manifests itself with an error when the application is started up.

I'm still sticking to 11.11a with 12.11 cap 2 as the 12.xx series reduces the overall performance of my 4670 card. YMMV, of course.

I setup the profile to simply be the default clock speed of 750 since I felt like my GPU wasn't entering high performance mode by itself, then save it and press load at system startup, and it crashes. I also tried changing profiles to the 750 from the system tray icon and it crashes. Anyway, I simply uninstalled it and checked the Catalyst Overdrive again and it seems to work with LoL now.

I have driver: 8.970.100.3000 from 7/3/2012...seems like I am way behind? Can you link me to the best performing driver for my card? Much appreciated :)

I setup the profile to simply be the default clock speed of 750 since I felt like my GPU wasn't entering high performance mode by itself, then save it and press load at system startup, and it crashes. I also tried changing profiles to the 750 from the system tray icon and it crashes. Anyway, I simply uninstalled it and checked the Catalyst Overdrive again and it seems to work with LoL now.

I have driver: 8.970.100.3000 from 7/3/2012...seems like I am way behind? Can you link me to the best performing driver for my card? Much appreciated :)

You're already using the latest supported 12.6 Legacy driver for the 4xxx series; If compatibility is important with you, stick with it, for it is the latest. I'm sticking with the older 11.11a performance release as i've tested the 12 series of drivers and found them to have on average 5 - 10% lower FPS for games and benchmarks for my card. And when you're on the edge with a really low end card like mine, every bit counts.

Also, install this cap from AMD for your card if you haven't already, it's not just for Crossfire solutions but for us single card users as well. It improves performance with the newest games and 3d applications; install it and reboot your computer after, it's application is automatic.

AMD 12.11 Cap 2

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-tdr-errors-display-driver-nvlddmkm-stopped-/

This is where I found that information

How would I test hardware acceleration? Is there a setting in MPC I was using VLC . The thing that is so weird about this is like I said two of my friends have this same card and it does the exact same thing which is why we all think it has to be software related

Sorry If I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was, do you get those issues while watching videos on your computer too? (mkv,avi, etc)

Just trying to narrow it down. Thanks for the forum link by the way, I've just read it, and have you followed all the troubleshooting steps offered in the post?

Ashhong

You're already using the latest supported 12.6 Legacy driver for the 4xxx series; If compatibility is important with you, stick with it, for it is the latest. I'm sticking with the older 11.11a performance release as i've tested the 12 series of drivers and found them to have on average 5 - 10% lower FPS for games and benchmarks for my card. And when you're on the edge with a really low end card like mine, every bit counts.

Also, install this cap from AMD for your card if you haven't already, it's not just for Crossfire solutions but for us single card users as well. It improves performance with the newest games and 3d applications; install it and reboot your computer after, it's application is automatic.

AMD 12.11 Cap 2

Nope, I don't really care about compatibility, whatever gives me the best performance is what I want. Installing the 11.11a and Cap program. I always felt like my computer wasn't handling games as well as it should, hopefully these and my OC will make it better. Thanks!

No issues watching videos. I have tried most of the troubleshooting I under clocked the gpu to the nvidia specifications but I still have issues.

accx

Nope, I don't really care about compatibility, whatever gives me the best performance is what I want. Installing the 11.11a and Cap program. I always felt like my computer wasn't handling games as well as it should, hopefully these and my OC will make it better. Thanks!

If you're still experiencing screen tearing i would consider switching to d3doverrider. ATT/radeonpro seems to be hit or miss for me while d3doverrider always apply vsync properly.

And getting a E7400 to 4ghz seems crazy, but the chip is known for it's overclockability (is that even a word).
I have my E8500 @ 4,2ghz stable atm though.

No issues watching videos. I have tried most of the troubleshooting I under clocked the gpu to the nvidia specifications but I still have issues.

The forum link provided state what causes the issues, and how to proceed. I would consider going through the checklist provided.

Its likely it could just be something simple as driver issues (not properly cleaned out before installing new ones). Most people state that you won't have to do this but i still consider it mandatory because you never know.
But it could also be hardware related, in which case the real troubleshooting begins.

I tried all those troubleshooting except the ram clocks and such stuff like that im not sure how to do since all my hardware is running on stock clock. As I said above two other friends all have the same card but different ram psu and mobos. I know my issues didn't start until the drivers right before or after dishonored came out.

accx

I tried all those troubleshooting except the ram clocks and such stuff like that im not sure how to do since all my hardware is running on stock clock. As I said above two other friends all have the same card but different ram psu and mobos. I know my issues didn't start until the drivers right before or after dishonored came out.

Well, your friends could still experiencing the same problems but the cause might be different.
Introducing them as variables just causes headache. Have you tried reverting to drivers before dishonored was released? As stated in the link you provided you should clean them out using driver sweeper, preferably in safe mode.

Download the earlier driver from that time, uninstall the driver you have now with add/remove programs, reboot into safe mode and clean it out using driver sweeper and proceed to reboot into normal mode again and install the earlier driver. Since the issue happens sporadically you'll probably have to do some trial and error with different drivers.
From experience (though this is on ATI cards) it's often been that old driver files haven't been cleaned out properly which causes this. But again, it's trial and error. And time consuming.
If the problem would happen every time you run a game i would consider hardware fault first but since it happens at normal use it's likely software related.

In the link they also mention realtek audio drivers. I would suggest removing them in the same fashion as i described above and wouldn't bother installing them unless you need the audio manager that's included. Windows standard HD audio driver works fine for pretty much anything.
Realtek audio drivers have been known to cause massive headache with other software (look up realtek audio drivers and punkbuster for example).

EDIT:
I would suggest taking notes which drivers you've tried just for ease of mind. If you do find one that is stable it's always good to know which one it is next time the issue would appear when updating to a newer one.

I'll continue to try things out. Is it possible to read like a dump file of the crash to maybe see more into detail of software relations? I have some of them event logged and saved on my pc

Vyer

Pulling my hair out here. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and googling all over the place, but I can't find an answer.

When watching streaming video or playing certain games the sound goes in and out constantly. The video is fine. My connection is fine. It doesn't hit every game (Kingdoms of Amalur is especially troublesome) but Netflix and Twitch it's like listening to a rap record from Wal-Mart. Half the words are missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

You ever find a solution here Wandering?

Bought a new house.

Downstairs has a cable/internet connection in the living room wall I'm using with a splitter for TV/Wireless internet.

Upstairs I have my desktop computer, and another cable outlet in the wall. Can I just buy another modem and Ethernet it directly into my desktop? Would there be any reasons not to do this?

Was thinking about putting the internet router upstairs but the reception on my router isn't great through the 2nd story floor.

Only if your provider has set up two separate lines into your house, I believe.

accx

Pulling my hair out here. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and googling all over the place, but I can't find an answer.

When watching streaming video or playing certain games the sound goes in and out constantly. The video is fine. My connection is fine. It doesn't hit every game (Kingdoms of Amalur is especially troublesome) but Netflix and Twitch it's like listening to a rap record from Wal-Mart. Half the words are missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Since another user quoted you, what sound card are you using? As i mentioned earlier, Realtek Drivers are notoriously fubared.

Bought a new house.

You could buy something like an access point and link the wifi signal to it in order to share internet for other floors. I would imagine this would be the easiest way to go.
I have never set this up myself so i can't point you to the right direction but your ISP might have a solution or another user could probably give better insight. You will lose some performance but i believe it's negligible.

I'll continue to try things out. Is it possible to read like a dump file of the crash to maybe see more into detail of software relations? I have some of them event logged and saved on my pc

Yes, although they're cryptic. Unless someone has extensive knowledge (i don't) reading dump files here, i'd take it to a forum that specialize in that (i think i've seen some).
You can fiddle around in Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer.
All your dumps and errors should be logged there.

EDIT:
For peace of mind, you could always set up a memtest before leaving for work or under night, just to check that this isn't a culprit. It's highly unlikely since like i said, it's probably software related.

Ashhong

Bought a new house.

No you have to pay for a second line for a 2nd modem to work. You can setup a wireless access points using DD-WRT routers (easiest imo, I do it all the time) or you can buy a Powerline modem I think it's called. Basically it sends the internet signal through your power line and you use these wall outlets to connect to your internet. I heard they work pretty well.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I asked this over on the Gaming side but didn't get a response so I'll ask this here:

Is there any way to get 5.1 from the toslink out of my Gigabyte G1 Sniper motherboard? I can only seem to get stereo.

NB: My a/v amp is having massive issues with HDMI hence why I'm using the optical connection.

Thanks.

Duriii

How can I fix this?

http://min.us/lbnpZOX5w3yFPF

This is what I get in my thumbnails from Speed Dials 2 extention for Chrome. Same thing is happening while saving page screenshot in Web Page Screenshot addon. I can't even install Google's Screencapture for some reason. Couple days ago everything worked fine...

Plus, that menu under RMB started looking differently. I don't recall installing or reinstalling any addons, so I don't know where else to look for solution. Thanks for any help.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You ever find a solution here Wandering?

Since another user quoted you, what sound card are you using? As i mentioned earlier, Realtek Drivers are notoriously fubared.

I have not. I'm not using a proprietary sound card, rather just the onboard sound from a AMD motherboard. I used, then uninstalled the Realtek Drivers.

Edit: To expand, I've removed, reinstalled and updated drivers multiple times. I seem to recall a program that totally removed old drivers, but I can't remember what it was called and couldn't find anything that didn't seem malwarey

Fayte19

Neo Member
Ok gaf, I need some help. I currently work as a repair tech for a non profit organization called computers for schools. This organization accepts donations of computers and related equipment from businesses, branches of government, etc, and recycles/refurbishes them for use in the public school system.

The machine I'm working on right now is a Dell Optiplex 745 that was donated from the government. The house of commons, to be specific. I know this because the BIOS splash screen says "House of Commons" above the Dell logo and try as I might I CANNOT find an option to change or delete that in the BIOS settings. I've even tried flashing/updating the BIOS and still no go.

Does anyone have any idea of how to change that?

Fayte19

Neo Member
Kind of. The process that link describes seems really involved for what seems like something so simple. I've had this kind of thing happen with other machines. They were from some provincial utility board or something and had the name of the user in the BIOS screen, the only different thing is those were HP machines and had an option in the BIOS settings to change or remove that label/text.

I was kind of hoping someone might know of an option I'm not seeing or know of a utility from Dell or something.

Thanks very much for the help.

accx

Thanks. Will do when I have time this week. If it is a broken fan, any idea how much a replacement fan costs? Shouldn't be too much, right?

Wouldn't be more than 20 bucks (incl. shipping) when using ebay.
The temps for the CPU is dangerously hot as well.

I have not. I'm not using a proprietary sound card, rather just the onboard sound from a AMD motherboard. I used, then uninstalled the Realtek Drivers.

Edit: To expand, I've removed, reinstalled and updated drivers multiple times. I seem to recall a program that totally removed old drivers, but I can't remember what it was called and couldn't find anything that didn't seem malwarey

You're probably looking for driver sweeper.
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Install driver sweeper first. Remove drivers regulary from add/remove programs. Reboot into safe mode, run driver sweeper and check realtek, remove everything, reboot into normal mode.

Kind of. The process that link describes seems really involved for what seems like something so simple. I've had this kind of thing happen with other machines. They were from some provincial utility board or something and had the name of the user in the BIOS screen, the only different thing is those were HP machines and had an option in the BIOS settings to change or remove that label/text.

I was kind of hoping someone might know of an option I'm not seeing or know of a utility from Dell or something.

Thanks very much for the help.

If you get into BIOS settings there should be an option to turn off logo. It might not be available on certain prebuilt machines though.
I can't reboot atm but i think it should be under advanced bios settings or something like that. Like the second or third option at the first screen.
To get into BIOS settings you should hit the DEL key. It can vary if it's a prebuilt machine. F2 or F12 are common.

I've got a really frustrating one here...

Had my old PSU die on me (not really sure what went wrong, couldn't get it to turn on my PSU tester, let alone run proper checks on it). Replaced it with a new one which seemed to have very high review scores (XFX Pro Black Edition 750W) and now I'm having a problem with standby on the machine.

I used to use standby all the time, but for some reason with this new PSU the machine goes nuts when it comes out of standby. All of the fans go into overdrive and the machine crashes requiring that it's turned off and on again. Same has happened when turning the machine on, though it's maybe 1 in 6 times so far.

I'm assuming that a PSU is just a PSU so doesn't require any software or driver changes right? It's connected to the motherboard via the usual 24 pin connector and a four pin PCIE style one. Could this new PSU be faulty too?

Vyer

Is there anything tagged in Device Manager, even with the drivers reinstalled? Sometimes those drivers actually have more than one component needed. Possibly chipset drivers for the MB along with the audio drivers?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Is there anything tagged in Device Manager, even with the drivers reinstalled? Sometimes those drivers actually have more than one component needed. Possibly chipset drivers for the MB along with the audio drivers?

I'm away from my desktop ATM, but I don't believe so. I'm going to try that diver sweeper and report back.

Y'all helping is really appreciated.

Denali

Turned on my LCD TV last night only to be greeted with what sounded like a small explosion coming from the speakers, and a bright flash from the screen before all went black; including the standby light.

Any hope of salvaging here? I'm going to break it apart and take a look around just out of curiosity, just wondering if the is the standard way that LCDs say goodbye, or if this was caused by something else (power surge)?

Ermc_G6

Terrible touch pad problem:

Just picked up a new Asus laptop, and have enjoyed everything about it aside from the touchpad.

It is way too sensitive and too close to the keyboard. When typing my wrist frequently brushes up against it and causes all sorts of trouble.

I would be content to just disable the touch and use my wireless mouse, but pressing the fn+ f9 combination does nothing. I've tried going into hardware settings and disabling it from there, but it seems that the device is working, but recognized.

I like this computer, but I might have to get rid of it if I can't sort this out,

please help mighty tech-gaf!

Ok, here's the problem:

This PC won't play games

Dell Inspiron 570
Win7 64 Bit
AMD Athlon II
ATI Radeon HD 4200

Now, if I try to run a game...virtually any game...I either get a CTD or a message box saying something like "no 3D graphics enabled".

I just ran DXDiag out of curiosity.

Direct Draw - disabled
Direct3d - disabled
AGP Texture Acceleration -Not available

BUT: if I run 64Bit DxDiag, all those options become available.

Help??

Ogni-XR21

I got myself a NAS, now I can access my music with my PS3. Now even if I make playlists with relative source information the playlists are empty if not directly placed in the folder the songs are in. Also, if the playlists are in the specific folder the order is messed up and not what the playlist is made out to be.

I'm pulling my hair here and don't know what's causing the problems...

Ok, here's the problem:

This PC won't play games

Dell Inspiron 570
Win7 64 Bit
AMD Athlon II
ATI Radeon HD 4200

Now, if I try to run a game...virtually any game...I either get a CTD or a message box saying something like "no 3D graphics enabled".

I just ran DXDiag out of curiosity.

Direct Draw - disabled
Direct3d - disabled
AGP Texture Acceleration -Not available

BUT: if I run 64Bit DxDiag, all those options become available.

Help??

Run through this checklist and report back:-

1. Ensure the latest drivers are installed for your card. You've listed an ATI Radeon HD 4200 which is on legacy support right now, so the last stable ones are as follows. (grab the 64 bit version)

AMD Catalyst 13.1 Legacy Download

2. Ensure that your DirectX is up to date.

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

3. Once you've done the above, head to Device Manager (Start, type in Device Manager, press enter), and in the app, click on Display Adapters to list out your graphics card. Double click on it and make sure there are no issues listed (or an exclamation mark (!) next to it). Head to the driver tab and make sure that the correct details are filled out (Driver Provider, Driver Date, and Version)

4. Just to ensure that your Windows installation isn't to blame, open an administrator command prompt (start,type in cmd, right click on the cmd.exe that appears and run as administrator), and in the command prompt, and type in:-

sfc /scannow

Wait for 10 - 20 minutes while Windows checks itself for any violations.

5. Try running the game again.

My nephew was asking me earlier about a way to disable shortcuts like Alt+Tab in games and I didn't really have a good answer for him. I was able to write an autohotkey script that detects if the steam overlay .exe is running and disables Alt+Tab and the Windows key if it is, but I know that there are some multiplayer games whose cheat detection will kick you for using autohotkey. I was wondering if anyone had a better suggestion that would work in all games, preferably without requiring manual intervention.

I have a networking question. My bedroom does not get a good wifi signal from the router that is located in the basement and I can't move the router, however my bedroom does have a direct wired line to the router which is how my desktop is hooked up. My question is is there something cheap and easy to configure that I could connect to a switch in my bedroom to send out its own wifi signal for my iPad and iPhone to be able to connect to?

I have a networking question. My bedroom does not get a good wifi signal from the router that is located in the basement and I can't move the router, however my bedroom does have a direct wired line to the router which is how my desktop is hooked up. My question is is there something cheap and easy to configure that I could connect to a switch in my bedroom to send out its own wifi signal for my iPad and iPhone to be able to connect to?
You can hook up a Wireless Access Point or another wireless router to the wired connection frpm your router.

If you go with a second router, all you have to do is disable the DHCP server on it and change its IP address to be within the range of your main router. So say your current router has an IP of 192.168.0.1, you'd set the second one to 192.168.0.5 for example. Only thing to watch out for is that you'd want to set its IP to something outside of the range of your main router's DHCP server, but other than that, that's pretty much all that there is to it.

Top Bottom