• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7: Story mode subplots, new stage and kid Kazuya

That stage with Little Kazuya looks like the Nightmare Frontier from Bloodborne.

88117991.jpg

(couldn't find a screenshot of the more mountainous parts)

Loved the atmosphere in that area.

T7 is looking better each gaming convention.

Mokujin

Kid Kaz is awesome, new stage gorgeous.

Still waiting for Julia and Anna though!!

Edit: And that new Heihachi story costume is classy as hell!

"...story mode of Tekken 7 will be pretty substantial."

Nice. Namco finally doing what SNK had been doing all throughout the 90s, what NetherRealm Studios has been doing since MK9, and what Capcom... well, refuses to do with Street Fighter.

As someone who enjoys single player modes in fighting games, this is music to my ears.

he has to be thrown down a mountain first

As for the design, meh, i liked anime young Kazuya better

latest

What the...? I know GAFers can have weird opinions sometimes, but dude, that anime kid Kazuya is fucking hideous. Glad Namco took a different route for the game. The kid Kazuya in the OP is much better than whatever the hell this abomination is.

EDIT: all that eyebrow action... Reminds me of that dude Bogdan (the Romanian laundromat owner) from Breaking Bad, LOL.

Hyun Sai

Heihachi throws Kazuya off a cliff when he's like 5-10 years old. He survives because he makes a pact with the Devil -- the Devil gene in him awakes.

Then you know the rest -- Kazuya throws Heihachi off a cliff in Tekken.

Well, Kazuya is a pussy. Ryuken threw Raoh and Toki off a cliff when they were child, and Raoh climbed it carrying his brother.

None of them complained.

Rajang

Good stuff, and it's not like this a series first. Previous games, T4 being the biggest example, have had a lot of story as well.

kid looks ready to be thrown into a volcano

LOL

Thrown down a cliff

Kid Kaz is awesome, new stage gorgeous.

Still waiting for Julia and Anna though!!

Edit: And that new Heihachi story costume is classy as hell!

Not Mokujin? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

latest

Javin98

Banned
This game is sounding better and better with each convention. I haven't been seriously into fighting games for a long time, so hopefully Tekken 7 will be the one. Story mode sounds very promising. Great! Love me some Tekken lore.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

This explains the survey they sent out a while ago, it kept asking a lot of questions about how much you value the storyline in Tekken games.

Shredderi

I love old Tekken music.

Yeah this is something I don't like about the new tekken. Older titles had much more personality to their music. I generally feel that for fighting games the music should be more rock oriented than techno/electro oriented. Rock and metal is just more hardhitting and fits the genre better.

It's been over a decade since I've been this excited for a Tekken game. Every bit of new info makes it look better and better.

Can't wait.

Neoxon

Gotta hand it to Namco, they're putting in work. I guess they want to end the Mishima arc with a bang.

Also, the new stage looks gorgeous.

farisr

Thanks to Flying Wonkey, we now know, that the story mode of Tekken 7 will be pretty substantial.

In fact, story mode will include hours of gameplay, and retell older stories from the Tekken lore. In fact, you'll get a Kazuya Mishima while he were a kid, a young Heihachi, and not only that, but also special costumes for this mode.
Cool, I haven't played a Tekken game since 3. Well played a bit of Tekken Tag, but not too long. Was wondering what I'd have to do to keep up with the story, but from the sounds of things, all essential plot details may be present in this game if they've decided to retell some stuff.

fernoca

"...story mode of Tekken 7 will be pretty substantial."

Nice. Namco finally doing what SNK had been doing all throughout the 90s, what NetherRealm Studios has been doing since MK9, and what Capcom... well, refuses to do with Street Fighter.

As someone who enjoys single player modes in fighting games, this is music to my ears.
MK current story modes started with MKvsDCU in 2008 and go back all the way to 2002 with Deadly Alliance, when they started adding this modes because of the jump from arcades to consoles.

I've been joking that DOA6 is going to add kid versions of Kasumi and Ayane, so it's funny to see a kid version of Kazuya actually make it into Tekken

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Damn the move to Unreal has this game looking frikken amazing.

But the chromatic abberation needs to be toned down.
Hopefully its an option.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
YES, I actually love the story in Tekken despite it being off the walls crazy at times. Great news.

Is the right side of the rear most pillar on the right where I should be looking then? That looks kinda weird

Look closely at edges of bright objects. You'll see an orange 'shadow' to the left and a blue 'shadow' to the right of it. That's CA and it really screws with IQ.

Zoomed in examples

screenshot2016-08-17ausuy3.png

screenshot2016-08-17a78upv.png

screenshot2016-08-17apburv.png

People can get pretty sensitive to this as it makes them feel like the entire image is out of focus, worsening eye strain for a hobby that already puts you at substantial risk for it.

Ivan 3414

Yeah this is something I don't like about the new tekken. Older titles had much more personality to their music. I generally feel that for fighting games the music should be more rock oriented than techno/electro oriented. Rock and metal is just more hardhitting and fits the genre better.

Tekken music has pretty much always been based in an electronic-style of music though. I can't think of any fighting game that's primarily rock or metal based except if you count WWE. Haven't played any ArcSys games though.

Tekken music has pretty much always been based in an electronic-style of music though. I can't think of any fighting game that's primarily rock or metal based except if you count WWE. Haven't played any ArcSys games though.

To expand on this, Namco has been more than willing to let their composers try radically different things in their flagship titles and I love them for that. Tekken really doesn't need its musical identity to be tied to any genre.

Top Bottom