• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

Throavium

Doomshine said:
Off the top of my head:

No more DSS autoparry (this still true?), 4,3 no longer jails, f+2, 2, 2 no longer a natural combo. d/b+3 -14 on block and less frame advantage on hit e.t.c.
Could you explain the numbers and letters?

TZ's legend doesn't explain everything apparently. :p

Throavium said:
Could you explain the numbers and letters?

Assuming you already know what 1,2,3,4 means (LP,RP,LK,RK).....

I believe jail refers to move that keep you in block stun for the rest of the moves string.

Law's 4,3,4 kicks......

So If you block Law's first 4, your stuck there blocking the following 3 move. Since it no longer jails you can do something after blocking the first 4 and he starts the 3. Like duck under the 3 so you can get a free standing up move (ws) move to hit. Launch in some special cases. :D

Natural combo, moves that flow naturally together for hitconfirms. If you get hit by the first strike the moves that follow hit you too.

Like 1,2 jabs, If the first 1 hits you can get the 2 in there for free damage since the combo is natural. Law's B+2,3,4 move isn't a natural combo since even though you got hit by the first B+2, you can still block the 3 or 4.

If its a number that has a minus in front of it like -12 or minus -13 it means how much of a frame disadvantage you are after they block your move. Generic hop kicks (uf+4) are -12 frames on block so If they block that move, they can punish with moves that are less than 12 frames. Usually jabs.

Since d/b+3 is apparently -14 on block, If your opponent blocks that low any move they have that is 14 frames and under they can hit you with. So d/b+3 is sort of a bit more unsafe to just throw out now.

Haven't touched Tekken in quite a bit though so my memory is a bit hazy but I think thats what they usually meant.

Pachimari

I'm a little bit confused about the Devils. Didn't they announce new designs for Devil Jin and Devil Kazuya? But when I look at TTT2 videos, Jin Devil looks the same as in Tekken 6: BR.

By the way, I'm gonna buy two arcade sticks later and really try to become a hardcore Tekken player, and start playing against others in the Philippines. Having played this series since the first one, I need to start my transition from casual to pro.

Oh, and will Unknown be playable?

I'm a little bit confused about the Devils. Didn't they announce new designs for Devil Jin and Devil Kazuya? But when I look at TTT2 videos, Jin Devil looks the same as in Tekken 6: BR.

Devil Jin and Devil Kazuya are confirmed for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue. (Picture Gran Turismo 5 Prologue but for TTT2)

http://www.tekkenzone.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2453

^^You can see the new designs in the attachments.

No idea If their new designs will be going to TTT2 Arcade (Via customization) or eventual console release though.

Oh and Unknown was playable in the original console TTT so Its a good bet she will be playable in TTT2 console.

So much Tekken is around o_O Btw good luck with the serious business transition. ;)

Throavium

Flying Wonkey said:
TZ's legend doesn't explain everything apparently. :p

Assuming you already know what 1,2,3,4 means (LP,RP,LK,RK).....

I believe jail refers to move that keep you in block stun for the rest of the moves string.

Law's 4,3,4 kicks......

So If you block Law's first 4, your stuck there blocking the following 3 move. Since it no longer jails you can do something after blocking the first 4 and he starts the 3. Like duck under the 3 so you can get a free standing up move (ws) move to hit. Launch in some special cases. :D

Natural combo, moves that flow naturally together for hitconfirms. If you get hit by the first strike the moves that follow hit you too.

Like 1,2 jabs, If the first 1 hits you can get the 2 in there for free damage since the combo is natural. Law's B+2,3,4 move isn't a natural combo since even though you got hit by the first B+2, you can still block the 3 or 4.

If its a number that has a minus in front of it like -12 or minus -13 it means how much of a frame disadvantage you are after they block your move. Generic hop kicks (uf+4) are -12 frames on block so If they block that move, they can punish with moves that are less than 12 frames. Usually jabs.

Since d/b+3 is apparently -14 on block, If your opponent blocks that low any move they have that is 14 frames and under they can hit you with. So d/b+3 is sort of a bit more unsafe to just throw out now.

Haven't touched Tekken in quite a bit though so my memory is a bit hazy but I think thats what they usually meant.
Thanks

Sayah

Gamestop has listed Hybrid's release for Nov. 22 (MUST have special edition). Skyward Sword comes out on Nov. 20 (MUST have special edition). UMvC3 on Nov. 15. Then, there's also Uncharted 3 on Nov. 1. HOW WILL I PAY FOR ALL THIS?

Tizoc

Sayah said:
Gamestop has listed Hybrid's release for Nov. 22 (MUST have special edition). Skyward Sword comes out on Nov. 20 (MUST have special edition). UMvC3 on Nov. 15. Then, there's also Uncharted 3 on Nov. 1. HOW WILL I PAY FOR ALL THIS?
Options:
1- Trade/sell off stuff you don't want/need
2- Sell one of your kidneys?
3- Work in the evenings for a little extra income
4- Don't get Special Editions

Sayah

Tizoc said:
Options:
1- Trade/sell off stuff you don't want/need
2- Sell one of your kidneys?
3- Work in the evenings for a little extra income
4- Don't get Special Editions

Trading stuff usually isn't beneficial as the trade-in-credit is very low at most places.

LOL @ #2

I have to worry about school. Already taking 19 credits. :(

Special Editions are MUST if they include amazing stuff. Wished Namco had gone the Dark Souls route with Hybrid and kept all the pre-order items at the regular $39.99 price. I was also hoping for PS3 themes/avatars rather than PS Home content. Who actually uses PSN Home? I don't even know what people do there.

Throavium

Sayah said:
Gamefly

Sayah

Throavium said:
I wouldn't want to rent any of those games as I plan on playing them for awhile. Unless, you are referring to the trade-in they have in which case I need to be a member anyway (I think?).

weepy

Since the upcoming Wii U is going to have its exclusive Tekken game (likewise with the 3DS) does this mean that Tekken Tag 2 isn't coming to Nintendo consoles?

Sayah

weepy said:
Since the upcoming Wii U is going to have its exclusive Tekken game (likewise with the 3DS) does this mean that Tekken Tag 2 isn't coming to Nintendo consoles?
No one knows yet. It might end up on Wii U as well if it's multiplatform (which it most likely will be). Tekken is no longer exclusively associated with Sony like it used to be. I guess that's a good thing so the franchise can get broader appeal as it is an excellent franchise that Nintendo loyalists should experience. The quality also shouldn't suffice as it does with other multiplatform titles since they built the arcade version first with everything already set and in place. The console versions usually only get some extra modes or patches anyway which shouldn't impact the core experience. Hoping for Tekken Ball and Bowl modes with a typical Force mode. Forget Scenario Campaign.

TreIII

Sayah said:
Hoping for Tekken Ball and Bowl modes with a typical Force mode. Forget Scenario Campaign.

As long as this trend that sees the need for some "serious storytelling" in fighting games persists? Don't bet on it. :lol

But honestly, a StoryMode doesn't HAVE to be such a dreadful component of a fighting game release. The main thing is that it a) should actually be enjoyable to play and even more importantly b) it should NOT be a vehicle that serves to section off content especially pertinent to the main focus of the game (re: legit characters, stages).

As long as nothing is stopping me from going into the game Day 1 and playing as any non boss-level character I want, they can feel free to cram as much content as they want.

Doomshine

I played through scenario campaign once and did some money grinding on the Mokujin stage, that's it.

I feel like a lot of the hate for Scenario Campaign is because people think they have to play it to unlock stuff, which isn't true except for a few head items (I think). If Namco had made this fact clearer it would've saved them and people a lot of headaches.

Sayah

TreIII said:
As long as this trend that sees the need for some "serious storytelling" in fighting games persists? Don't bet on it. :lol

But honestly, a StoryMode doesn't HAVE to be such a dreadful component of a fighting game release. The main thing is that it a) should actually be enjoyable to play and even more importantly b) it should NOT be a vehicle that serves to section off content especially pertinent to the main focus of the game (re: legit characters, stages).

As long as nothing is stopping me from going into the game Day 1 and playing as any non boss-level character I want, they can feel free to cram as much content as they want.

I like good stories but the problem is that mostly all fighting games don't do it so well. To the point that you wish they hadn't done a story mode to begin with and diverted those efforts elsewhere. We already have character openings and endings which are good enough IMO. Where stories are really needed is single player games. I eventually get bored of many SP games if they lack a good story. Like FFXIII. AMAZING battle system yet a good story could have made the game so much better.

On another point, I liked Devil Within from Tekken 5. It had some good gameplay and puzzles. I would like something like that again. Scenario Campaign again? No way. The only reason people played through it all was to get the trophies or to gather fight money.

TreIII

Sayah said:
I like good stories but the problem is that mostly all fighting games don't do it so well. To the point that you wish they hadn't done a story mode to begin with and diverted those efforts elsewhere. We already have character openings and endings which are good enough IMO.

I hear ya.

It's just that, I would think it would be hypocritical of me to hate on the notion of a Story Modes entirely, when I had some good times with the likes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's Story Mode (PSX ver.), pretty much every story-mode equivalent in every Soul game ranging from Edge/Blade to Calibur III, and even the Visual Novel antics that permeate the likes of KOF, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear and etc. Such things like these can be fun diversions and, if done well, can make me "care" more about the characters beyond their frames and hitboxes. :lol

But in any case, that's what they should be: Diversions. As long as they can stay in their lane, I'll be perfectly fine with that.

weepy

Sayah said:
No one knows yet. It might end up on Wii U as well if it's multiplatform (which it most likely will be). Tekken is no longer exclusively associated with Sony like it used to be. I guess that's a good thing so the franchise can get broader appeal as it is an excellent franchise that Nintendo loyalists should experience. The quality also shouldn't suffice as it does with other multiplatform titles since they built the arcade version first with everything already set and in place. The console versions usually only get some extra modes or patches anyway which shouldn't impact the core experience. Hoping for Tekken Ball and Bowl modes with a typical Force mode. Forget Scenario Campaign.

Hope so. I know we know little of the game coming out for the Wii U, but it looked like a Tekken 6 rehash with a few gimmicks thrown in. I pray I'm wrong, but this has happened to the Wii so many times that I kinda expect it with its predecessor.

Sayah

weepy said:
Hope so. I know we know little of the game coming out for the Wii U, but it looked like a Tekken 6 rehash with a few gimmicks thrown in. I pray I'm wrong, but this has happened to the Wii so many times that I kinda expect it with its predecessor.
Worry not. From all the Tekken games I've played, the team is far from being lazy. I'm sure the game will be brimming with new content. Its battle system may be similar to Tekken 6 but Harada indicated a lot of new possibilities in his E3 interview. Watch it here. He talks about screening the practice mode on the Wii U controller which will make things a whole lot more interesting. The stage editor will also be a really nice addition. First time in a "traditional" fighter (as far as I know) that you can actually create your own stages. There is also strong possibilities for mini-games (assuming that since it's a Wii U title). It cannot possibly at all be a simple port of Tekken 6. I very highly doubt that's the case.

Tekken team is working on five different titles (Tekken Wii U, Tekken 3DS, Tekken Tag 2, TekkenXStreet Fighter, Tekken Hybrid). Harada said the team has been working on the series for so long that everyone knows what to do and how to do it. They are on top of everything (this is from a recent twitter post).

Sayah

AAK said:
Step aside Yun, Lili is now the ultimate troll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zen_uQdJ6o
A whole new dimension of gameplay. It will probably get patched, though. Would be really cool to have two characters attacking from left and right.

I also forgot to mention how now you can also splat a person, then unsplat the person, and then resplat the person against the wall for really nice damage.

Sayah

TreIII said:
I hear ya.

It's just that, I would think it would be hypocritical of me to hate on the notion of a Story Modes entirely, when I had some good times with the likes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's Story Mode (PSX ver.), pretty much every story-mode equivalent in every Soul game ranging from Edge/Blade to Calibur III, and even the Visual Novel antics that permeate the likes of KOF, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear and etc. Such things like these can be fun diversions and, if done well, can make me "care" more about the characters beyond their frames and hitboxes. :lol

But in any case, that's what they should be: Diversions. As long as they can stay in their lane, I'll be perfectly fine with that.
Makes sense. They are nice diversions as you said. Tekken 5 did it really well IMO. AMAZING character endings and a rather well-made Devil Within campaign-esque mode.

CPS2

Flying Wonkey said:
Law's B+2,3,4 move isn't a natural combo since even though you got hit by the first B+2, you can still block the 3 or 4.
Doesn't that mean it's not a combo at all then? Wouldn't it make more sense to differentiate a NC by comparing it to a juggle, bound or wall combo?

Combo?

B+2,3,4 is a move string with mix up potential on the 4.

*I'm not entirely sure (I don't play Law :p)* but I believe it is a "NCc": Natural combo only if the first hit was a counter hit, the first B+2 on counter hit guarantees only the following 3. I believe though, The 4 can still be blocked even if B+2 was a counterhit.

I don't have my console with me so you can go try this out for yourself. I believe in practice mode there is a "Stand to Guard" function that you can set the opponent to. It makes the opponent take the first hit and block all following moves.

NC are used to refer to moves that give you guaranteed damage upon successfully landed the initial hit. Same with a Juggle with bounds or wall bounds, you get the launch and you get guaranteed damage on the following. (provide you don't screw it up) So there isn't much to differentiate there.

Blah so much information is required to keep up with this game. :razz:

Sayah said:
eBay has always been good to me.

Also don't get everything near release. Pick up what you will play the most and work your way down. Game prices drop fast as fuck.

Also CheapAssGamer.com is your friend... Has been my best gaming friend for years due to the amount I can game due to all my savings.

Doomshine

CPS2 said:
Doesn't that mean it's not a combo at all then? Wouldn't it make more sense to differentiate a NC by comparing it to a juggle, bound or wall combo?
Like Flying Wonkey said, you differentiate between a natural combo (the following hits are guaranteed on normal hit), natural counter hit combo (speaks for itself), and combo/juggle.

Bound and wall combos are just parts of a juggle. The exception is a low parry combo which doesn't include a bound (or the low parry itself is the bound).

Sayah

RelentlessRolento said:
eBay has always been good to me.

Also don't get everything near release. Pick up what you will play the most and work your way down. Game prices drop fast as fuck.

Also CheapAssGamer.com is your friend... Has been my best gaming friend for years due to the amount I can game due to all my savings.
I also use Ebay and have had a pretty good experience. I don't buy just released games from there, though. The only reason I want to pre-order Skyward Sword and Hybrid is due to the special editions. The weak man inside me can't resist. :/
Also checked out cheapassgamer. Never heard of the site till now. Seems like they show you the bests deals on the web. Thanks! :)

Sayah said:
I also use Ebay and have had a pretty good experience. I don't buy just released games from there, though. The only reason I want to pre-order Skyward Sword and Hybrid is due to the special editions. The weak man inside me can't resist. :/
Also checked out cheapassgamer. Never heard of the site till now. Seems like they show you the bests deals on the web. Thanks! :)
I took it as ebay has been good to him as a seller to afford new games. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sayah

RelentlessRolento said:
Happy B AAK!

Sayah, be sure you look in the "Deals" section of the forums on Cheap Ass, most of the good stuff is burried in there.
Thanks a bunch. Looking through it now.

AAK said:
Thanks again for the wishes guys! I had a RODEO good time ;)
Looks amazing. Happy Birthday, btw. I realize I didn't say it yesterday though I intended to in my post.

Played T6 yesterday (I always sign out because I prefer the character name, not mine, when playing offline modes that aren't arcade simulations - which is the only place customized ai fighters and names should be allowed). Anyway, I felt it looked better than I remember. Could be my new playing position, but it looked great and less lifeless.

Top Bottom