• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Damn, even someone like me cares more about Tekken 7 than ATP Live crew :p They couldn't even be bothered to read Wonkey's work and discuss how this changes the game haha. But yeah... I guess I can't blame them for not being compelled enough to care.

CSX

so does all this sidestep changes explain why i was getting destroyed by lili players when i played T7 at houston...
Outside of the fact that I havent played in forever so i didn't react to db4s on time lol

Sayah

Played some Bloodborne and then TTT2 ranked after a long while. I'm thinking my interest in games is gradually waning.

Personally, I am for the sidestep changes. Yes, it does not directly effect beginners, but beginners watch the experts. It is just as if not more important that a beginner watch an expert and think to themselves, "I can do that".

Numb

Jack with the Tron lights. The reveals are done pretty frequently so alot of guys can be shown at this pace. They need to remember to include new guys inbetween tho.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Jack with the Tron lights. The reveals are done pretty frequently so alot of guys can be shown at this pace. They need to remember to include new guys inbetween tho.

7 new characters (counting Kazumi) is plenty enough. If the rest are just going to be new, misshapen skins wearing the bones of old favorites, then I don't want them.

Look at that. That cookie is half eaten. You aren't going to get another one until it's finished; I won't have you wasting these perfectly good cookies. I don't care if it tastes bad, put something on it to make it taste better. Well if you don't like that flavor then why did you get it in the first place? Wha-? You'd eat the cookie if it was red and yellow and blue and had tubes all over it and did magic flips and was from Switzerland? Hmm. No. Finish your damn cookie.

Numb

Gigas and Josie less so than the rest. But there are alot of new characters on the whole as you said. It feels like they will be adding more characters and i was hoping it would not be exclusive to returning characters only. I got no issues with returners but new guys are exciting. They can do whatever if they include Jinpachi and Mokujin and i wouldn't care.

Pachimari

I don't think we'll get any more new characters besides Kazumi.

The rest will be returning character and I'm fine with that. We just need Nina, Lei, JayCee and probably Lee.

Personally I want Miguel and Zafina to come back, just for their uniqueness.

PS: Also just broke up with my girlfriend. I'm devastated and need to punch somebody.

And, Jinpachi should stay far away from Tekken.

Numb

The rest will be returning character and I'm fine with that. We just need Nina, Lei, JayCee and probably Lee.

PS: Also just broke up with my girlfriend. I'm devastated and need to punch somebody.

Zafina needs to return. I always liked her. But i always felt like i played her wrong all the time.
You can punch me in Tekken if you want. I want to punch you too for dissing my boy Pachi.

Dereck

I could make a comment on how Jack-7 looks, but then by default I would have to make a comment on two iterations of Jack looking identical. Did Jack-5, and 6 just get firmware updates?

Jack-7 looks different, yeah, but like Law, it looks like he was created as a customization. I can't wait to see Tekken 7 players give Jack-7 blonde hair through customization.

Degen

I could make a comment on how Jack-7 looks, but then by default I would have to make a comment on two iterations of Jack looking identical. Did Jack-5, and 6 just get firmware updates?

Jack-7 looks different, yeah, but like Law, it looks like he was created as a customization. I can't wait to see Tekken 7 players give Jack-7 blonde hair through customization.
Yup, Jack-7 looks like a joke customization of 6

He's still gonna dominate this game since he probably won't have to do the b3,2 into ff1 juggle if there's no Bound

Consistently linking that combo was difficult. Jack should not have anything difficult.

Dereck

Eddy Gordo is totally black.
ThinApprehensiveBillygoat.gif

lupinko

I got Tag 2, anyone have any bnb combos, juggles and stuff to punish with for Leo and Feng?

And with this playing as her, I think I'll continue to use Asuka going forward. Kat is definitely my main in 7 though.

And I'm so used to Revo/7 faces, Asuka looks so jarring now in Tag 2. Lol

Manbig

None of those characters are black people, so, I think you're on the right track.

I totally cracked up at that and I feel bad now. :(

Yup, Jack-7 looks like a joke customization of 6

He's still gonna dominate this game since he probably won't have to do the b3,2 into ff1 juggle if there's no Bound

Consistently linking that combo was difficult. Jack should not have anything difficult.

If he does dominate, it will be more than likely because of the sidestep changes than anything else. Jack was never one to care much about sidestepping before because he's a wide character, but he sure as hell cared about keeping space with the absurd range on his stuff.

AAK

In Toronto, Tournament starts tomorrow. I just saw Reno, BloodHawk, Exalted, and another NYC guy named OniJin at the reception. BloodHawk is like 6'4". Damn. I also fight OFDP second round lol. Kinda wishing I went through Manny's Marduk Bootcamp like last time :p

Time to do some research for tomorrow :)

I got Tag 2, anyone have any bnb combos, juggles and stuff to punish with for Leo and Feng?

And with this playing as her, I think I'll continue to use Asuka going forward. Kat is definitely my main in 7 though.

And I'm so used to Revo/7 faces, Asuka looks so jarring now in Tag 2. Lol

You can watch videos of Yuu's Feng/Leo.teams on Youtube.

DEATH™

Just some random 2 cents on the issue of SS nerf.

This SS nerf makes it easier to engage and not worry about getting launched aside crush moves. This plus the overall beefed up standing game for all characters makes the game waaaay more reliant on BDC. Backwalk IMO is totally useless in this game. It's waay too slow to actually make space and the better standing game make it easier to break defense wise.

When I played the game, since I cannot use my stick, I relied on backdash/forwarddash plus King SS 2+4 and that alone made me feel that I went farther than I should, even when I am not clearly playing to compete (I'm more focused on testing the game/character).

When I played, I had fun, not because of the game itself, but my character is fun (It's King after all :p ). It helped too that I use alot of SS 2+4 to compensate for the SS nerf. And the overall buffs on King at that time makes me giddy. But still looking at the long term when everything settles down I kinda felt like not everybody will like this game. Not because those guys can't adapt, but because the game is too straightforward/cookie cutter/almost too one-dimensiona for a Tekken game.

This is speculation on my part, but the direction of the game is focused alot on that standing game/engagement, and if a character has advantage outside of that, they have to either get tweaked or not come in this game. I'm talking about the likes of capos and lei, who has grounded stances that is made to "neutralize" that standing game and make you use select tools to deal with that grounded stance. Aside from Xiaoyu (which is a exception since she's too popular), and to an extent, Yoshi, there is none that fits that bill so far.

Some will find this good, some will find this bad.

Either way, I don't see TTT2 going away anytime soon, whether you like the game or not. T7 is clearly made to attract new players, and the changes will piss some people off to a point of comparing it to T4. We'll see if this could trickle down to sales.

I heard a rumor that Jinpachi is coming back and sorry to hear about your break up. Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a return of Zafina and Miguel, especially since both of them had very distinctive fighting styles. Zafina looked really unique and exotic also and I think Tekken 7 could use a female that with that appearance.

Jack 7 looks like what I expected him to look like. Similar to the previous iterations and very massive.

Also, if Julia does actually return, I think she will be returning in her Jaycee form or something rather similar for some reason. I wouldn't mind an option to see good ol' traditional Native American Julia and luchador Julia with the press of a button, but I doubt we will see that. Unknown fun fact: Michelle was my first main in Tekken, Tekken 2 and Julia was my main in the first few months of Tekken 3 before I switched to Nina, so I always liked her and Julia so I am hoping she comes back in a blaze of glory.

I think Nina will be somewhat "smaller" and more softer looking in Tekken 7 as well as a little easier to comprehend mentally from a gameplay perspective. I think they might even reintroduce or modify/tweak her face from Tekken Revolution for Tekken 7.

DEATH™;164155441 said:
Just some random 2 cents on the issue of SS nerf.

This SS nerf makes it easier to engage and not worry about getting launched aside crush moves. This plus the overall beefed up standing game for all characters makes the game waaaay more reliant on BDC. Backwalk IMO is totally useless in this game. It's waay too slow to actually make space and the better standing game make it easier to break defense wise.

When I played the game, since I cannot use my stick, I relied on backdash/forwarddash plus King SS 2+4 and that alone made me feel that I went farther than I should, even when I am not clearly playing to compete (I'm more focused on testing the game/character).

When I played, I had fun, not because of the game itself, but my character is fun (It's King after all :p ). It helped too that I use alot of SS 2+4 to compensate for the SS nerf. And the overall buffs on King at that time makes me giddy. But still looking at the long term when everything settles down I kinda felt like not everybody will like this game. Not because those guys can't adapt, but because the game is too straightforward/cookie cutter/almost too one-dimensiona for a Tekken game.

This is speculation on my part, but the direction of the game is focused alot on that standing game/engagement, and if a character has advantage outside of that, they have to either get tweaked or not come in this game. I'm talking about the likes of capos and lei, who has grounded stances that is made to "neutralize" that standing game and make you use select tools to deal with that grounded stance. Aside from Xiaoyu (which is a exception since she's too popular), and to an extent, Yoshi, there is none that fits that bill so far.

Some will find this good, some will find this bad.

Either way, I don't see TTT2 going away anytime soon, whether you like the game or not. T7 is clearly made to attract new players, and the changes will piss some people off to a point of comparing it to T4. We'll see if this could trickle down to sales.

While people are gonna play, I don't think its gonna piss people off that much to where people are having Side tournaments for it. I do think its probably gonna sell terribly relatively to the rest of the series because well namco and the lack of seeming like a new game.

Degen

If they want new players, all they have to do is add a bunch of single-player content, add a non-fighting mode or two like Tekken Ball, and advertise that stuff until everyone knows about it.

As far as gameplay, just show off the supers and some of the cool combos you can do. The other gameplay changes are great for beginners but they obviously aren't very marketable.

The character roster is on the right track. Make it a popularity contest and then find superficial ways to make the less-liked ones more appealing. Consolidating and combining movesets is a lot easier to stomach than flat-out not including a certain character.

If they focus on the fighting itself, then yeah, people are gonna say it looks the same; that's the burden when you can't make 100+ new animations per character in every sequel (and you mistakenly think Tekken 4's change in tone was one of its problems).

Yoshimitsu thread shows how much of a mistake it is not to have new costumes for everyone. Look how much traction that thread has gotten compared to other reveals.

If every character got a redesign like Yoshi, man, shit would be so hype. Character reveals would be immense.

I've been trying to say this for years. Sales are so important to them and all they come up with is new ways to keep a combo going. Way to attract the non-competitive crowd.

Old school Tekken fans aren't like old school SF fans. We need more than just gameplay tweaks. (SF-come-Tekken fans not withstanding)

DEATH™

While people are gonna play, I don't think its gonna piss people off that much to where people are having Side tournaments for it. I do think its probably gonna sell terribly relatively to the rest of the series because well namco and the lack of seeming like a new game.

Dude, Icege and co. are already planning side tournaments for Tag 2 in future tournaments. And that's out of love of that game alone. Whatever dissatisfaction T7 has will just be icing on the cake.

Deps

DEATH™;164185135 said:
Dude, Icege and co. are already planning side tournaments for Tag 2 in future tournaments. And that's out of love of that game alone. Whatever dissatisfaction T7 has will just be icing on the cake.

Nowadays, people play the new shiny games, even if the're worse. T7 will have to be completely unplayable trash for TTT2 side tournaments to get any decent numbers.

Manbig

In Toronto, Tournament starts tomorrow. I just saw Reno, BloodHawk, Exalted, and another NYC guy named OniJin at the reception. BloodHawk is like 6'4". Damn. I also fight OFDP second round lol. Kinda wishing I went through Manny's Marduk Bootcamp like last time :p

Time to do some research for tomorrow :)

You can watch videos of Yuu's Feng/Leo.teams on Youtube.

I'm still here. Let me know what you want from me.

AAK

Came 9th Place.

Lost to OFdP 3-1 but then I got beaten by Reno in Losers Final 3-0 of the pool to reach top 8. I could have done better but I dropped game winning combo's at least twice which would have given me at least a game.

Tournament was a lot of fun though and got to spectate a lot of cool matches. Gonna miss this game :(

Dereck

Came 9th Place.

Lost to OFdP 3-1 but then I got beaten by Reno in Losers Final 3-0 of the pool to reach top 8. I could have done better but I dropped game winning combo's at least twice which would have given me at least a game.

Tournament was a lot of fun though and got to spectate a lot of cool matches. Gonna miss this game :(
Good job

Manbig

Came 9th Place.

Why didn't you hit me up earlier if you wanted more Marduk practice? ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom