• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
And yeah, they do seem to be pushing Lili and Asuka in that tone.

I wish the series would push Lili and Asuka out of the spotlight. They're always getting special attention, yet they're locked in this stupid perpetual anime trope rivalry. It's so old and uninteresting and is actively detracting from any potential either character has had. And... was it ever adequately explained?

I guess they play fine, but dammit, fighting games should try to shoot just a little bit higher, don't you think?

As someone who used to use Tekkennation looking back it was way casual and only a handful were hardcore players who wanted to learn more.
Some of the discussions were pretty useless and very casual which I am using the term lightly. But it's not my place to police others way of playing the game.

I think there can be a place for both imo and side note TZ is pretty fucking horrible.
What I have noticed is the hardcore vs casual culture is just as harmful.

Tekken Nation was so casual it kind of hurts to think about it now. I still miss it just a bit though. I can never get too invested in the hardcore side of the series, and sometimes I feel like chatting it up about the aesthetics, or the characters, or the direction, or even the stupid story of the series. But then there was all that stuff that stretched way beyond what Tekken was and into the deepest darkest pits of fanon and weird isolated forum communities. And Tekken God knows I contributed plenty to digging that dark hole. But I was young and aimless and still fairly new to the internet and... well, how should I have known better?

Yeah the main issue with TN was the fact that it was way too casual and pretty much became a cespool of fanon wank. You really have to be able to mix both groups properly or it just becomes gross. I kinda miss modding that place.

I wish the series would push Lili and Asuka out of the spotlight. They're always getting special attention, yet they're locked in this stupid perpetual anime trope rivalry. It's so old and uninteresting and is actively detracting from any potential either character has had. And... was it ever adequately explained?

I guess they play fine, but dammit, fighting games should try to shoot just a little bit higher, don't you think?

Nope. That shit was randomly invented in Tekken 6 out of nowhere. A French Billionaire Heiress is rivaling with a Japanese school girl from Osaka. Makes no sense.

One of the biggest problems in video games is the fact that they let people who have no experience with script writing design the scenarios for their games. It's an even bigger problem in Japan where instead of hiring the right person to do the job correctly they just give it to the employee who's been there the longest. You talk about anime tropes but that's probably all the person making these plot decisions knows. When you ask a bunch of programers to write a scenario that's what you get.

Tekken 4 for all the garbage in that game had the best story/story mode and I believe that's the only game they hired an actual writer to come in and do the scenario. What have we gotten since? Not much.

Numb

Reason why Tekken 7 is not as hyped is because Lars is not at the top of that tier list. Why is arc blast not +5 on block?
#bufflars

Creaking

Nope. That shit was randomly invented in Tekken 6 out of nowhere. A French Billionaire Heiress is rivaling with a Japanese school girl from Osaka. Makes no sense.

One of the biggest problems in video games is the fact that they let people who have no experience with script writing design the scenarios for their games. It's an even bigger problem in Japan where instead of hiring the right person to do the job correctly they just give it to the employee who's been there the longest. You talk about anime tropes but that's probably all the person making these plot decisions knows. When you ask a bunch of programers to write a scenario that's what you get.

Tekken 4 for all the garbage in that game had the best story/story mode and I believe that's the only game they hired an actual writer to come in and do the scenario. What have we gotten since? Not much.

Wish they'd do that again. If the story was well written and well presented, maybe they could get some special attention or special regard for that like the recent NRS fighters have.

They should have kicked Lili out of Tekken 7 and just replaced her with Sebastian.

tumblr_mc0o6yC4Tn1rqyhp3o1_r1_400.gif

Wish they'd do that again. If the story was well written and well presented, maybe they could get some special attention or special regard for that like the recent NRS fighters have.

It's too late for that now though. They are well into production. The best we can hope for is that they have been paying attention to how much acclaim the NRS games get for their story modes and are trying to do the same thing with Tekken 7...on console.

But as I've said before they are already fucking up by not having any story related to these characters when they are revealed. Claudio, Shaheen, Katarina, Gigas, Josie, Kazumi, WTF do we know about these characters? Nothing. How are casuals supposed to get hype for a character if they know nothing about the characters? Basic world and character building.

People talk about all these "things" holding Tekken back when IRL it's just a matter of marketing. Look at that fuckin Bison trailer. IRL it was completely whatever. Same old Bison, mediocre graphics, same old shit but people are so hype for it. Why? Marketing. I mean Jack 7 was just announced last week and look at the difference in people's reaction and the difference in the trailer.

Pachimari

Lucky Chloe is one of the best though.

And Josie will be numerous uno.

*I'm also drunk right now, but I think my opinion would be the same if I weren't.*

Creaking

I guess I'm happy to see that the series' current direction is catering to someone's tastes.

I'm not really happy though.

sasuke_91

Seems like he was banned for mocking someone with an anime avatar.

Why would one do that?

Law over Kazuya? Wow. Curious what people are seeing in T7 Law.

The fact that 4,3 jails alone will make me hate him.
Maybe Dragon Tail is safe now? :p

Lili is a great character.

Lucky Chloe is one of the best though.
What is wrong with you?

Just kidding. The direction that T7 is heading seems to be the right one for you.

Numb

New Tekken is too bouncy.
I wished they'd go back to Tekken 3 or 5 style combat.

Bouncy? The juggles are long indeed. The damage done before was really high and you could get killed in a few hits. Now moves do less damage and juggles are super long.

gooey

Neo Member
Bouncy? The juggles are long indeed. The damage done before was really high and you could get killed in a few hits. Now moves do less damage and juggles are super long.

I think it's just bounds (or whatever) that really bother me.
I'm more interested in the neutral/spacing game. I feel like Tekken has become more and more about landing those giant combos...

I want to be excited about T7...

Numb

I think it's just bounds (or whatever) that really bother me.
I'm more interested in the neutral/spacing game. I feel like Tekken has become more and more about landing those giant combos...

I want to be excited about T7...

Tekken is way more about the movement and spacing than those juggles to be honest. They are just a result of having done proper spacing ,punishing, conditioning and launching your opponent. People hate the juggles because there is nothing to do but watch yourself get juggled. People need an anime ''burst''
:)

gooey

Neo Member
Tekken is way more about the movement and spacing than those juggles to be honest. They are just a result of having done proper spacing ,punishing, conditioning and launching your opponent. People hate the juggles because there is nothing to do but watch yourself get juggled. People need an anime ''burst''
:)

I suppose it depends on the level you play at. I play fairly casually with friends and most of them would probably look at you funny if you said "Korean backdash". XD

Was just really hoping Tekken 7 was going to change the formula. :/
The super armour stuff does seem kinda cool.

Numb

Tekken 7 replaced the bounds with tailspins so it is still the same thing. You can get longer combos now after a low parry but that seems like the opposote thing you wanted.

gooey

Neo Member
Tekken 7 replaced the bounds with tailspins so it is still the same thing. You can get longer combos now after a low parry but that seems like the opposote thing you wanted.

Yeah. :x
Am I alone in wanting a simpler Tekken? Less moves, less combos, less characters.

Oh well. Hate to complain too much. I'll be getting it regardless. XD

Numb

Yeah. :x
Am I alone in wanting a simpler Tekken? Less moves, less combos, less characters.

Oh well. Hate to complain too much. I'll be getting it regardless. XD

Not alone at all. Not many people are fans of bounds and all these juggles.
i love them alot tho
I am interested in seeing shorter movelists. Removing the fluff is only good.

sasuke_91

Not alone at all. Not many people are fans of bounds and all these juggles.
i love them alot tho
I am interested in seeing shorter movelists. Removing the fluff is only good.
Juggles are cool. Tag combos are great :3

And no, some characters need more moves. 200 moves for Hwoarang. He's not complicated enough as he is :p
Yep, fewer moves are better

AAK

Baby steps, Lili/Asuka stupidity is still in a different stratosphere to LC. The series is far too down the rabbit hole. It's reached a point where MM/Harada themselves say actual martial arts don't transition well into the game and need to go anime to keep things interesting... Which really makes me lose a lot of confidence I have now in the series to make appealing character designs to me.

Thanks!

Yeah there's too many Jack players now, I didn't see character spam like this for Yoshi.

BTW I need to warn you about the punishment video. Jack's f+2 is safe in T7. Not like in TTT2 or T6.

Numb

Juggles are cool. Tag combos are great :3

And no, some characters need more moves. 200 moves for Hwoarang. He's not complicated enough as he is :p
Yep, fewer moves are better

I would prefer fewer moves. Less moves but even more characters. Unique ones tho.
I might be asking for something impossible. There could be four characters in those 200 moves.

Manbig

Happy Birthday BTW Manny! Hope you have a mighty fun day ;)

Thank you kindly, Bro. You've always been cool peoples.

If you want some post tournament Marduk advice, hit me up. I don't know how much use you would have for it at this point, but I do have a few new ideas.

AAK

Will do Manny :) Currently after Toryuken thinking of really learning GGXrd. I was watching the top 8 of that game and it looked incredibly fun.

BTW in the tournament I fought this Filipino dude I've never seen before that played Miguel/True Ogre. I faced him first round and and the second last match before losing my top 8 qualifying match against Reno. Both matches he was up 2-1 and I ended up coming back 3-2 once I figured out how to deal with his Ogre playstyle. The beauty of 3/5 full tournament!

But honestly, my favorite match I played the whole tournament was in VF5FS against a wolf player. I lost 3-0 but every match was last round last hit. It's incredible how well designed that game is where even if you don't practice the game the system is designed to let you actually do what your mind tells your hands to carry out without practicing execution for hours lol.

DOA5 was a blowup lol... only won like 1 or 2 rounds in my first match and that's it haha.

Numb

Will do Manny :) Currently after Toryuken thinking of really learning GGXrd. I was watching the top 8 of that game and it looked incredibly fun.
won like 1 or 2 rounds in my first match and that's it haha.

Xrd was alot of fun. Especially when i played with people my own level and friends like me that don't play anime fighters alot
or any fighters at all.
. Things get real wild when facing good players and crazy for someone who uses Potemkin like me. Been a minute since i last played.

AAK

JDCR is streaming:

http://www.twitch.tv/tkjdcr

Some notes:

- He's basically saying that in TTT2, when you start the match and the opponent does 1,2 you can sidestep that, you can't do that anymore in T7. But he doesn't know if the SS is indeed nerfed or if it is indeed the induced lag on the Korean machine. Since T7's release in Korea he's played nearly 1K games, and he has managed to SS df+1's and such but he's never been able to SS an electric or a hell sweep.

- A month ago there was a 3v3 tournament, he was in a team with Saint and Nin. They won the tournament but he found it super hard because he had no idea how to fight Shaheen and Claudio. Claudio and Shaheen were dominating early on and people complained a LOT. After the nerfs, he thinks Claudio fell quite a bit.

- He thinks American players can reach world class status because of the way the game got dumbed down.

- Top 4 currently according to JDCR is King, Shaheen, Leo, Kazuya

- Weakest character in his opinion so far is LC because no one good has even tried playing her.

- He doesn't recommend T7 at all to anyone in Korea because the game is way too laggy to enjoy. He also finds the Mishima's too boring now to play and is focusing way more on Dragunov.

- He doesn't understand the game yet... he says he plays Heihachi and his opponent is Leo, if he starts the match with a d/f+1 and the opponent starts with d/f+2 he loses and he doesn't know why. He doesn't know if it's the lag or something change with the moves.

Xrd was alot of fun. Especially when i played with people my own level and friends like me that don't play anime fighters alot
or any fighters at all.
. Things get real wild when facing good players and crazy for someone who uses Potemkin like me. Been a minute since i last played.

Yeah but I still can't really play the game yet LOL, there's a bunch of mechanics I still don't know how to use like the Dead Angles, Guard Impacts, Throws, etc.

Creaking

I do honestly have a bit of a grudge against Lili. I kind of see her as the start of the series' strong focus on twee little girls.

Sure they've had Xiaoyu since 3, but she never got nearly as much special promotion as Asuka & Lili do (and the former only got that when the latter showed up). Now it seems like every other female character is a cherub-faced, teenaged, garish, walking anime trope. Maybe two tropes, if they're well written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom