• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Just came across this art. Wow!

CFieLV8UkAEyCoV.jpg

Manbig

Man they grow up so fast. One day they're ignoring their panda obsessed school crush. The next day they are sitting on a throne of tentacle-like devil penises.

Numb

Man they grow up so fast. One day they're ignoring their panda obsessed school crush. The next day they are sitting on a throne of tentacle-like devil penises.

Tekken is always reaching new levels of weird. Nothing surprises me anymore.

HeelPower

What is one feature you guys think is essential for T7 ?

I really hope to god they add framedata in practice mode. PLEASE

If you really want to help out the player,give us TOOLS.

lupinko

So I was playing Tekken 7 last night and in online mode the game froze twice and the second time it crashed and had to reboot. Luckily I wasn't playing a human opponent at the time (but I was on a win streak). I talked to the arcade operator about it, he explained how it would still record the data and gave me a replacement credit to play again.

If it wasn't for the great arcade service I would be fuming.

Edit: When I played later at a Taito Station, that arcade changed the parts to awful Hori garbage, ugh.

Pachimari

Tekken 7 will be updated to ver. G13 on June 4, adding a new stage.
"Build your team" functionality is also being added this month.

Also, Wonkey says the character reveal schedule could be like this, but of course it's not accurate, just an educated guess:

Character releases were 2 a fortnight with a single break week after each fornight so next would be

19th May
2nd June
9th June

AAK

I echo your concerns. But judging by the attitude Namco's showing, I don't see them addressing these issues anytime soon if ever. I simply have the mentality now to just deal with it and gather as much fun as I can from it. But I have to be aware now that the series time being the pioneer and industry leader are long gone and probably never coming back.

- Paul went from someone that wanted to be taken seriously, but still staying true to himself, to an idiot raving about beating up on aliens.

This just reminded me... when making a list for this thread, I remembered Paul's Tekken 4 ending.

This tune playing in the background always gave me goosebumps. So subtle yet so powerful. Indeed... Such a good thing Namco had going with Tekken 4's presentation.

I always feel like developers approach the story for fighting games all wrong. The inherent problem from an inside the box perspective is that there are too many character and trying to make them all work in the story is impossible so a lot of them need to become incredibly 1 dimensional.

However I look at it differently. Fighting games because there are so many character can allow you to have multiple stories instead of just one. The solution I would have is to take small groups of characters and take the time really develop and evolve characters within their own unique narrative arcs instead of trying to shoe horn them into a large more expansive one.

They're kinda done something like this in Tekken around the Tekken 4+5 era and there are some remanence of it in the story today but in an unchanging never evolving 1 dimensional way(AK/Marduk/King,Yoshi/Bryan).

Wouldn't that be nice though. Multiple small more involved stories than one big scenario campaign where everyone is just playing second fiddle to the Mishimas? That's how I'd approach it.

Sayah

Tekken has a really unique concept going for it and can make the story really exciting if they uniquely develop each character. I agree with ZTS. Having an overarching Mishima-centered theme and trying to fit other characters into this theme makes them kind of one-dimensional.

Each person has his/her own motivations for entering the tournament. They need to develop greater background story for this and provide actual outcomes in relation to each story instead of having an ending movie where every character wins by defeating the final boss.

Think of it like a good, well-written, suspenseful, and action-filled anime or TV show. You have two corporations (Mishima Zaibatsu and G Corp) with vested interests in the tournament and certain fighters representing these two corporations while other fighters have their own reason for being there. And now they are in a tournament-like setting where they must defeat all their opponents.

It's a great concept but it's just not implemented to its full potential.

I'd love to see a 'corporation mode' or whatever, kinda like Dynasty Warriors empires games where several corporations vie for map control and you decide territories by doing fightsies.

You could maybe gain equips and ranks and stats and stuff by playing.

Could even make it persistent online as that seems popular nowadays.

Yeah, just copy MK.

Sayah

I'd love to see a 'corporation mode' or whatever, kinda like Dynasty Warriors empires games where several corporations vie for map control and you decide territories by doing fightsies.

Yeah, just copy MK.

That's a neat concept. Except I also want the story for characters that have other motivations outside of the corporate world fleshed out more greatly. I mean I wouldn't want the whole story to be Smackdown vs. Raw (i.e. Mishima Zaibatsu vs. G. Corp).

sasuke_91

Yeah, just copy MK.
So Devil Within a bit more fleshed out?

By the way, my connection with you guys from the US goes from pretty good to unplayable
Pretty good (mostly 4 bars)-> Sayah, ZTS, Manny (some lag spikes though)
Noticable lag, but still well playable (mostly 3 bars)-> Famicom, Tera, Chrome_Wolf, UltWarrior1, AAK
Acceptable (2-3 bars) -> Boutdown (feels like playing in a tub full of pudding?^^), sometimes AAK
Unplayable -> Death (although it's been a while since we last tried)

Sayah

So Devil Within a bit more fleshed out?

By the way, my connection with you guys from the US goes from pretty good to unplayable
Pretty good (mostly 4 bars)-> Sayah, ZTS, Manny (some lag spikes though)
Noticable lag, but still well playable (mostly 3 bars)-> Famicom, Tera, Chrome_Wolf, UltWarrior1, AAK
Acceptable (2-3 bars) -> Boutdown (feels like playing in a tub full of pudding?^^), sometimes AAK
Unplayable -> Death (although it's been a while since we last tried)

That's because I got dat Verizon Fios. :p

Also, I'm up for playing right now if you are.

DEATH™

I wonder who the biggest jobber in Tekken is.

Lee?

Shin.

Died after a Heihachi Argentina Backbreaker

Wooo I don't think I am built for FGC events lol. Only played a litte bit of T7 and TTT2 casuals and I am fucking tired!

Same with me... Just one day of Strongstyle and I'm Tekkened out lol. Such a big contrast over home where I have a hard time finding time playing lol

Sayah

Wooo I don't think I am built for FGC events lol. Only played a litte bit of T7 and TTT2 casuals and I am fucking tired!

The only time I had attended a tournament, I left as soon as my matches finished. lol.

Anywho, I finally beat Slam. Dude is like a robot predicting everything. I just had to play super super patiently and I don't like playing like that.

http://www.twitch.tv/slam6/b/661739904?t=2h33m34s

He beat me two times before that match. It's somewhere in the same video but I won't link my embarrassing defeats. >_>

The match wasn't laggy but his stream is. I can make a cleaner upload if any of you want. I only bothered to check Twitch since his PSN ID has his Twitch ID in it.

Also I gotta say, now having seen T7 in person and a few feet from the TTT2 casual station, T7 is visually miles ahead. It's also one of the most colorful games in the room, up there with Xrd. Very impressed.

Manbig

Just watched the movelist rundown for Jack 7. Is his only "new" move the changed animation in the second hit of 1+2, 1+2? If so, that's pretty fucking weak.

CSX

Just watched the movelist rundown for Jack 7. Is his only "new" move the changed animation in the second hit of 1+2, 1+2? If so, that's pretty fucking weak.

The worst offender is Dragunov. I dont think he has any new moves period and if he does, no one is using them at all.

MikeMyers

This just reminded me... when making a list for this thread, I remembered Paul's Tekken 4 ending. Before I was a Mishima fanboy.

This tune playing in the background always gave me goosebumps. So subtle yet so powerful. Indeed... Such a good thing Namco had going with Tekken 4's presentation.
Tekken 4 was the game that sold me on Paul.

step 1: copy mortal kombat.

there is no step 2.
What I like about the MK games is that they pack content. If I was in charge of Tekken 7's home release, I'd include:

Story Mode (like MK's)
Arcade Mode
Vs.
Team Battle
Time Attack
Survivor
Practice
Theater
Tekken Ball
Tekken Force (with co-op)
Tekken Tunes
Options

DEATH™;164872017 said:
Shin.

Died after a Heihachi Argentina Backbreaker
So much of a jobber I had to google him to remember who he was.

Everyone who I thought would defend Lili, did, why take the bait?
J59r6Te.png

You gotta balance the character roster brehs.

There are too many characters under the age of 25 in Tekken 7.[
/QUOTE]

And she hasn't been in a canon game since Tekken 2(her only canon game). Anna and Nina were like 27(47) or something but that was too old so they got ride of them in Tekken 7. Zafina she looked kinda mature, she had to go.

Tekken has strict rules now:

1.) No females over 21
2.) Females must pander to a moe demographic
3.) No redheads allowed. :(

As much as I love and cherish them, this is an unfortunate tradition in Japanese games were females over 21 are frowned upon because they are considered, antiquated and decrepit. You think fighters are bad, just look at some JRPG's for more examples. Yeah, I want more mature females also and it's pretty ironic that I think the females in DOA5 right now are looking or appearing to be more mature then the females in Tekken 7. Maybe that will change with the final roster?

I thought it was basically confirmed that Nina is back in Tekken 7? I'm pretty sure she will return because she is a staple of the series much like the Mishamas or Yoshimitsu. I do not want Nina's much younger sister or daughter either. I want the original blonde assassin with Anna
please
. I have feeling Nina is going to look, perturbingly young though. Sadly, I have strong feeling Zafina is gone for the obvious reasons.

Dereck

As much as I love and cherish them, this is an unfortunate tradition in Japanese games were females over 21 are frowned upon because they are considered, antiquated and decrepit. You think fighters are bad, just look at some JRPG's for more examples.
It probably wasn't your intention, but I would love some kind of data/statistics on this if anyone can find them. I'm not looking for proof, I'm looking for a deeper view into the consumers of Japan.

DEATH™

KOF's Vanessa is around 30s... And a mom to boot. Which you can consider MILF.

Older chicks doesn't have to be wrinkly. In reality, many females age well, especially fit people, which is not a far fetched thing considerig FG females fights/exercises for a living. So The likes of Jun, Michelle and Kuni's faces isn't really that far fetched.

The question is if Namco will try to ditch them in the future.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
DEATH™;164902554 said:
KOF's Vanessa is around 30s... And a mom to boot. Which you can consider MILF.

Older chicks doesn't have to be wrinkly. In reality, many females age well, especially fit people, which is not a far fetched thing considerig FG females fights/exercises for a living. So The likes of Jun, Michelle and Kuni's faces isn't really that far fetched.

The question is if Namco will try to ditch them in the future.

I can buy younger looking older women, but I don't know if I can buy a 41 year old Michelle looking younger than her 20 year old daughter.

Dereck

The "they are really in shape and work out a bunch" argument is used a little too much and is also thrown out of the window when some women are supposed to be over the age of 40.

I feel like they just intentionally make females look younger. Kazuya obviously is ripped and is always in shape but the guy does not look a year under 40. The same cannot be said for Jun.

It is easy to tell that Hwoarang is in his 20s and Kazuya is in his 40s.

No female character in Tekken looks over 30, if I'm using Tag 2 or Tekken 7 is a reference. That to me, is an issue in regards to diversity if one cares about that.

Pachimari

Add Shin Kamiya to the roster and it'll be a very nice roster indeed.

I hope they won't make Nina look young though, which I have had a feeling they'll do.

Dereck

Since Nina is physically in her 20s you can expect her to look young in Tekken 7. The Cryogenic sleep thing in her storyline is the perfect excuse for Namco to keep her young, which is stupid to me. Throw any potential of an older female character in Tekken brehs, when your oldest female characters are supposed to be in their 20s throughout the entire series.

And when they deliberately stop doing major time skips it keeps the characters in a creative box they can't get out of. It keeps characters unexciting. Maybe the reason why so many characters have the same costume is because Tekken 7 takes two months in time after Tekken 6 or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom