• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATH™

I can buy younger looking older women, but I don't know if I can buy a 41 year old Michelle looking younger than her 20 year old daughter.

Blame the Wrestler Tan... Fair Skin makes everyone look younger (of course not including the wrinkles in equation). That's 1 reason asians want their skin light.

AAK

Also I gotta say, now having seen T7 in person and a few feet from the TTT2 casual station, T7 is visually miles ahead. It's also one of the most colorful games in the room, up there with Xrd. Very impressed.

Yo you're @ combo breaker? NICE! Did you enter? Didn't see your name on the Challonge bracket. How did you enjoy trying out T7 (if you got to play it)?

The only time I had attended a tournament, I left as soon as my matches finished. lol.

DEATH™;164872017 said:
Same with me... Just one day of Strongstyle and I'm Tekkened out lol. Such a big contrast over home where I have a hard time finding time playing lol

Woah... man you guys are so different. When I go to a tournament I need to salivate every second of my time to play offline Tekken with other players. Before the tournament I make sure to buy a ton of fruits and vegetables to take with me to the venue to eat throughout the day so I don't have to make time to leave the venue and eat out and come back. That way I can play as many casual matches as I can with a variety of players. And after in the dated hours of the day we search for the hotel rooms with the most Tekken players and bring our setups there. I go into insomnia mode and to play until we pass out!

And then trying play matches with the VF crew doesn't help my cause :p

I guess the whole being at tournaments thing depends on your personality. I just want to be there hang out and have a good time. If I'm not playing matches, I'm watching matches, or placing side bets, talking shit with friends. Just all around trying to have a great time.

I hope for more mature females in Tekken 7, but at this point I am so sick of the hate. I want to enjoy Tekken 7 before all the displeased people kill the franchise. Harada tweeted out that future installments are not guaranteed. So, to me that means, if you are going to complain, you need to do I would like to do. Which is to go ahead and pay for my copy of Tekken 7, so that money can go back in to even be used to help. Heck, I will buy 5 or 6 copies if it makes up for all the crying.

Anyways, offline tournaments reignite my love for Tekken. I only wish I could attend more.

Sayah

Woah... man you guys are so different. When I go to a tournament I need to salivate every second of my time to play offline Tekken with other players. Before the tournament I make sure to buy a ton of fruits and vegetables to take with me to the venue to eat throughout the day so I don't have to make time to leave the venue and eat out and come back. That way I can play as many casual matches as I can with a variety of players. And after in the dated hours of the day we search for the hotel rooms with the most Tekken players and bring our setups there. I go into insomnia mode and to play until we pass out!

And then trying play matches with the VF crew doesn't help my cause :p

I had played a few matches with KOR before the tournament began. It was fun but I'm not much of a social guy.

Good games, Sayah, Doomshine.

Got pretty beat up there. By the both of you. Owww. T.T

GGs.

Your Kuni and Jun are good. Your Bruce could use work.

AAK

Harada tweeted out that future installments are not guaranteed.

About this statement: whatever outcome happens to the series, it's entirely their fault for it.

If they're not even going to attempt to make a proper sequel to their flagship title the same way that Netherrealm and Capcom are trying, there is no one to blame but themselves. If they listened to all the crying and complaining there would be so much more exceitement from everyone. Even when I went to Toryuken there is very little enthusiasm from almost anyone about the future title. I can't fault them since it's just plain obvious when they look at a game like TTT2 and then look at a game like T7 wondering what's the draw.

I'm still going to buy Tekken 7 and support the game, but there's only so much 1 person can do.... or let alone what guys like Aris, Rip, MarkMan, yourself, and the other pillars of the community can do to promote the game. In the end, the game itself needs to compel people to play it just like how MKX did. We all know Namco are capable and have the money for it, and MKX shows there's still a huge market for it. Ball is essentially in their court and it looks like they're fumbling pretty badly. A miracle needs to happen between now and the console release.

MikeMyers

A miracle needs to happen between now and the console release.

For the console release, I would honestly ditch the title. The name "Tekken 7" just reeks of stagnant franchise. Just use a subtitle instead, like Dark Resurrection for PSP.

There needs to be a ton of content for casuals to explore and not get bored fast. Like I suggested yesterday:

Story Mode (like MK's)
Arcade Mode
Vs.
Team Battle
Time Attack
Survivor
Practice
Theater
Tekken Ball
Tekken Force (with co-op)
Tekken Tunes
Customization
Options

The biggest change we need is an aesthetic change like we got from 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3, 3 -> 4, etc. to make the game look new, but since the game is already out in Arcades. Can't do much about that now though. :(

For the console release, I would honestly ditch the title. The name "Tekken 7" just reeks of stagnant franchise. Just use a subtitle instead, like Dark Resurrection for PSP.

There needs to be a ton of content for casuals to explore and not get bored fast. Like I suggested yesterday:

Story Mode (like MK's)
Arcade Mode
Vs.
Team Battle
Time Attack
Survivor
Practice
Theater
Tekken Ball
Tekken Force (with co-op)
Tekken Tunes
Customization
Options

The biggest change we need is an aesthetic change like we got from 1 -> 2, 2 -> 3, 3 -> 4, etc. to make the game look new, but since the game is already out in Arcades. Can't do much about that now though. :(

I actually think a name change could be detrimental for Tekken 7. In fact, casual gamers probably wouldn't even know what it is unless they do some rather extensive research or happen to recognize the characters or artstyle. I think Tekken is still a very recognizable franchise worldwide even to some casuals. We have literally dozens of COD, Assassin Creed, Madden, etc titles that mostly to my knowledge garner attention and sales on name recognition, so I think Tekken 7 might fare admirably well especially if Namco properly and aggressively market the game and add some great, exciting content for the console release. An aesthetic change would be nice also, but well as you said, probably too late for that.

I hope for more mature females in Tekken 7, but at this point I am so sick of the hate. I want to enjoy Tekken 7 before all the displeased people kill the franchise. Harada tweeted out that future installments are not guaranteed. So, to me that means, if you are going to complain, you need to do I would like to do. Which is to go ahead and pay for my copy of Tekken 7, so that money can go back in to even be used to help. Heck, I will buy 5 or 6 copies if it makes up for all the crying.

Not necessarily a complaint, just an observation mostly with Japanese games seemingly excluding mature women so I cannot single out Tekken 7 as this trend is extremely common in most traditional games nowadays. Yeah, I will definitely be getting Tekken 7 on day 1 just like all of the other Tekken games to continue to support the franchise. I'm honestly happy we are getting a Tekken 7 and the series is still relevant and has some presence in a world full of shooters.

Good games guys. I'm glad i was able to give some decent-ish opposition. Unexpectedly it seems like my Jun is starting to get fairly threatening. I like it.
SquirrelSoup, I think you really underestimate yourself.
I think today was just one of my good days. After the straight beatings i got yesterday i don't want to be too optimistic, ha ha. But thank you~

---
On another note, i was wondering. What do we know about Kazumi's moveset so far? If she turns out to be playable, what kinda character are we looking at? Mishima? Does she have an electric? Is she like Angel? Anyone have any idea?

sasuke_91

Good games Numb, SquirrelSoup and GrayFoxPL.
Numb, I guess my only way of beating you is hoping for you to get a character you can't play and try to concentrate on punishing your Jinpachi. And I should never, ever use highs. A hopkick now and then is also an option.
SquirrelSoup, I think you really underestimate yourself. You know what you're doing and you have a solid Jun. Your actions never feel random, some of those sidesteps were really good and your combos are very damaging. You play solo, yet most of your combos ended at the wall. You used f+2 very well as a whiff punisher. You should be a little more careful with it out in the open or it can easily get you killed. I mostly won because of my characters. It's easy to be aggressive and cheap with them :p
GrayFooox, you can't reply but it was cool to be playing you again. As soon as the rust wears off you'll destroy me again. Be a little more careful with that deathfist when fighting Hwoarang. The range for b+3 is ridiculous^^ I finally managed to punish Snake Edge with a delayed hopkick o/

Dereck

If a person buys a product, that person is telling the content creator "this product is OK, keep making more of this". I don't see why one would need to purchase Tekken 7 if one is not happy with the product. That's a pretty simple philosophy right?

Numb

Good games guys. Squirrel with a crazy Jun i never knew he had. You could team her up with Kunimitsu or Bruce and have a good team right there. Sad that none of them are in Tekken 7 though.
You just weren't feeling it today Sasuke. We are usually even. I like like wallplats alot so i will always try to bait you.You could hopkick me but your main team lacks them.
Gray with the shredders. They always get me even when i know they are coming. Even said he was gonna use them but i still couldn't stop them.

AZUMIKE

sasuke_91 playing Tekken 6????

And Boutdown those two invites were received. Both times I was playing solo grudge matches with a friend! :D

Wonder when Tekken 7 will drop on console...

sasuke_91

sasuke_91 playing Tekken 6????
We can play Tag 2 if you want?

Anyone wants to join?

Edit: Oh, you were Offline already.
By the way, I should open 6 player lobbies instead opening a new one everytime someone wants to join. Happened twice earlier with SquirrelSoup and Numb. So unnecessary^^

Yo you're @ combo breaker? NICE! Did you enter? Didn't see your name on the Challonge bracket. How did you enjoy trying out T7 (if you got to play it)?

I did not enter, after some internal debate. Just didn't feel compelled to compete for this game, and I've been slacking all year so I don't feel as solid as I was (meager as those skills may have been). Only got my hands on T7 a couple of games, and really didn't learn much. Couple guys there were really running over everyone. I really just need T7 all to myself for several hours to just fiddle.

Got to meet Aris and others though, so all in all I had fun.

Degen

I like Tekken Revolution a lot but it disconnects so much after Round 1 that there's no point in playing it :/

It isn't nearly this bad in TTT2 online, or really anything else I've played online. I don't get it

If a person buys a product, that person is telling the content creator "this product is OK, keep making more of this". I don't see why one would need to purchase Tekken 7 if one is not happy with the product. That's a pretty simple philosophy right?
It's basic logic

You don't purchase something in hopes that more support is the key to changing it for the better, as if the lack of future improvements would have been your fault

sounds like a bad relationship

Like, let's hope the developer bothers to interpret each individual customer's intentions, and doesn't just say, "oh, so this is all we need to do and they're satisfied"

Sayah

We can play Tag 2 if you want?

Anyone wants to join?

Edit: Oh, you were Offline already.
By the way, I should open 6 player lobbies instead opening a new one everytime someone wants to join. Happened twice earlier with SquirrelSoup and Numb. So unnecessary^^

I always make five private slots when I make lobbies.

Because they might be losing a series they grew up with. ...But does Tekken brand loyalty actually matter to most people now? There's plenty of other fighters to play now...

Sayah

Because they might be losing a series they grew up with. ...But does Tekken brand loyalty actually matter to most people now? There's plenty of other fighters to play now...

If you like 3D fighters, your choices are pretty limited. Probably because they're more expensive to make in the HD era. Virtua Fighter is dead in the water. SoulCalibur future is uncertain. Though, Project Soul keeps teasing fans. DoA6 is a stronger possibility but it still might take awhile before we see it on consoles considering a remastered DoA5 just released. And there's no new 3D fighting game IP I can envision in the foreseeable future. I don't see any other company wanting to invest in this subgenre. Hell, even on the 2D side, Capcom required Sony funding to get SFV developed. Mortal Kombat seems to be the only "healthy" series with an actual future but I unfortunately can't enjoy its clunky-ness.

And besides that, Tekken has more depth than most other fighters, which makes playing it especially more enjoyable (at least for me).

Dereck

Because they might be losing a series they grew up with. ...But does Tekken brand loyalty actually matter to most people now?
To me brand loyalty doesn't mean much anymore. I have to spend my own money on video games. If I feel a game is not good enough for me to buy, I won't buy it, regardless of how much I like the brand.

Is Tekken 7 really so bad to have Tekken fans leaving it on store shelves? When just about every other game is out there is out to suck customers dry with shady at best business practices. The Tekken Project is one of the few behind a major franchise who still respects it's customers.

Even if the first appearance of Tekken 7 did not get updated to the degree it has now (have you forgotten how much T7 has improved?). I would support Tekken on the basis of supporting honest business. Just look at all the copies of Street Fighter IV and DLC you bought. Can you seriously tell me you didn't get robbed? If you need help, just watch this video, https://youtu.be/I3-3SIeX2yE

Is Tekken 7 really so bad to have Tekken fans leaving it on store shelves? When just about every other game is out there is out to suck customers dry with shady at best business practices. The Tekken Project is one of the few behind a major franchise who still respects it's customers.

Even if the first appearance of Tekken 7 did not get updated to the degree it has now (have you forgotten how much T7 has improved?). I would support Tekken on the basis of supporting honest business. Just look at all the copies of Street Fighter IV and DLC you bought. Can you seriously tell me you didn't get robbed? If you need help, just watch this video, https://youtu.be/I3-3SIeX2yE

Like I said in my video, everything gameplay wise is fine, its just not gonna do well enough to promote confidence in the future of the series. Not enough paint.

Sayah

It's part of the reason I continue supporting this series. I buy it once and I get everything. But unfortunately, I don't see this trend continuing in the future.

It's also part of the reason I can't agree with boutdown when he says:

If a person buys a product, that person is telling the content creator "this product is OK, keep making more of this".

You should tell that to the millions of people that keep buying games filled with shitty microtransactions (i.e. Ass Creed Unity/Dead Space 3/etc.) or pre-order exclusive material (e.g. Goro in MKX) or botched releases (e.g. DoA5 or MKX PC versions).

By buying these products, nobody is telling the developers/publishers "what you're doing is okay. Add more micro-transactions and pre-order bonuses and give me more botched releases."

People just want new experiences and are willing to pay to get them even if they are supporting anti-consumer practices in the long run.

Dereck

By buying these products, nobody is telling the developers/publishers "what you're doing is okay. Add more micro-transactions and pre-order bonuses and give me more botched releases."
EDIT: microtransactions and pre-order bonues are optional.

I'm talking about the game itself.

There are other fighters to play, but imo none of them are like Tekken. 3D fighters are definitely a rarity now with no signs of resurrection. DOA5 is by far the closest competition to Tekken and realistically it reminds me more of Virtua Fighter. Unfortunately, it seems like 3D fighters are drastically losing ground and popularity to 2D fighters which aren't exactly igniting the sales charts themselves. Fighters are just becoming niche again and by the time Tekken 7 comes out, I have no idea where their status will be in the industry.

Tekken 7 is trying to appeal more to the finicky mainstream gamers and I am not sure if that is enough considering they probably never had interest in fighters in the first place. Even if Tekken 7 was undeniably the best of the franchise and it was impeccable in practically all categories, I am not sure if that is enough to revitalize the genre or to generate millions of sales when most casuals seem like they are not interested in the majority of fighters anyway. That is why I generally want to try to support as many quality fighters as I can to try to at least keep the genre alive despite their imperfections or issues.

Dereck

I don't understand why you brought that up to begin with. That's besides the point I was making.

I don't think there is much to what I was saying. A product is released for a certain price, I don't like this, so I won't buy it. That's it.

lupinko

Look as long as Harada is in charge Tekken is fine, and you won't be nickeled and dimed like say WB. I actually thought DLC for Tag 2 was fantastic, important stuff was FREE and optional stuff (1-6 Music and Endings) was for pay.

Actually even stuff that wasn't important like swimsuits were free, whereas Capcom and Team Ninja just go bananas on microtransactions.

Also it's not for another year anyway for console and unlike SF5 it'll be on Xbone too.

There's a lot for them to improve on from now and release.

And being part 7 isn't really an issue, look at Final Fantasy or sports games or whatever heavily sequeled game.
Good games guys. I'm glad i was able to give some decent-ish opposition. Unexpectedly it seems like my Jun is starting to get fairly threatening. I like it.

I think today was just one of my good days. After the straight beatings i got yesterday i don't want to be too optimistic, ha ha. But thank you~

---
On another note, i was wondering. What do we know about Kazumi's moveset so far? If she turns out to be playable, what kinda character are we looking at? Mishima? Does she have an electric? Is she like Angel? Anyone have any idea?

It's been awhile since I played against her but she's sorta like her kid, grandkid and husband but with random tiger assist.

Sayah

I don't understand why you brought that up to begin with. That's besides the point I was making.

I don't think there is much to what I was saying. A product is released for a certain price, I don't like this, so I won't buy it. That's it.

You were saying that if a person buys a game, they are telling the developers that they are okay with it. I simply said that's not the case. I didn't make some off-tangent comment.

AAK

Common man, let's be honest now. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was the one time Namco was nice. After that Namco have been devilishly evil.

- Soul Calibur Lost Swords is RIDICULOUS with $90 characters,
- Tekken Revolution is a VASTLY inferior F2P model to something like DOA5 which gives you complete practice mode and unlimited online once you buy the character.
- Tekken 7 is the worst offender. They are limiting people to only having 10 win streaks before forcing players to pay more, that is scummier than anything I would have ever thought Namco would go for. This is before looking at how incomplete T7 is along with having the series history's worst load times.

As bad as MKX is with their DLC practices, Namco is physically stopping you from playing games even from winning. That's unforgivable. Despite that I'm still buying Tekken 7 because I enjoy it's overall gameplay more than anything else in the market. Again, all the backlash received by the community is entirely Namco's fault the way they are handling the game. Instead of our plight to the community to support the title, we should by telling Namco to make the game the community wants.

Real Talk...MKX is the closest you're gonna get to a Tekken game if you're looking for another fighter. All you're missing is sidesteps. DLC be damned play it.....or not lol

These companies are tryna make money so paid DLC, pre-orders etc. is pretty much a given from this point on and its a practice that you're either gonna accept begrudgingly, peacefully, or not buy the game at all.

And honestly the Arcade Release is doing more damage to the image of the game than we think it is. That's coloring the negative expectations and since it pretty much is an incomplete game, its getting people heated.

Sayah

Common man, let's be honest now. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was the one time Namco was nice. After that Namco have been devilishly evil.

- Soul Calibur Lost Swords is RIDICULOUS with $90 characters,
- Tekken Revolution is a VASTLY inferior F2P model to something like DOA5 which gives you complete practice mode and unlimited online once you buy the character.
- Tekken 7 is the worst offender. They are limiting people to only having 10 win streaks before forcing players to pay more, that is scummier than anything I would have ever thought Namco would go for. This is before looking at how incomplete T7 is along with having the series history's worst load times.

As bad as MKX is with their DLC practices, Namco is physically stopping you from playing games even from winning. That's unforgivable. Despite that I'm still buying Tekken 7 because I enjoy it's overall gameplay more than anything else in the market. Again, all the backlash received by the community is entirely Namco's fault the way they are handling the game. Instead of our plight to the community to support the title, we should by telling Namco to make the game the community wants.

You are making false comparisons between F2P titles, $60 retail releases, and arcade versions. These are all completely different business models and shouldn't be interchangeably compared.

You can buy TTT2 and SCV when they go on sale for $5 on PSN or Xbox Marketplace. Both of these games are superior to their F2P counterparts in pretty much every way. So if a person is spending $90 on a Lost Swords character when they have much cheaper and better alternatives available to buy ENTIRE games for a fraction of the cost, then that's their own fault.

AAK

I thought we were comparing companies.

Regardless, Harada has already said that Tekken 7 will have DLC unlike TTT2. So if people are not going to support MK, Street Fighter, and DOA for nickel/diming everyone w/ costumes and characters expect to carry that over to Tekken 7.

Regardless, Harada has already said that Tekken 7 will have DLC unlike TTT2. So if people are not going to support MK, Street Fighter, and DOA for nickel/diming everyone w/ costumes and characters expect to carry that over to Tekken 7.

And Tekken doesn't need people walking out them because of DLC. MK and SF can work with that due to large audiences.

Sayah

If you wanna talk about companies, there's a reason Namco is called Scamco. From what I recall, Namco released half of a One Piece game as a full title and the other half as another full title. And they also re-released the same Dragon Ball game as a "new title."

I think Ninth Pixel was specifically referring to Tekken and how it has sustained a pretty consumer friendly model. I already know that that model won't last long and I personally don't have a problem with buying extra DLC costumes. It's characters where things get iffy. If Harada goes back on his word to never charge for characters, then I will probably not support this franchise anymore. Or at best, maybe buy it used.

AAK

I'm OK with DLC characters as long as they are made post release and not locked on the disc behind a paywall like Goro/SFxT.

Sayah

I'm OK with DLC characters as long as they are made post release and not locked on the disc behind a paywall.

I'm generally okay with that too.

Except in the case of Tekken, Harada specifically made a promise that he would rather quit the company than charge for characters because they are like "pieces of chess" that shouldn't be sold separately. So charging for them, regardless of how it's done, would essentially equate to breaking a promise with your fanbase. And I can't respect that.

AAK

Harada in the end is just one employee at Namco, if Namco wants character DLC then there will be character DLC. Nothing he can say or do to stop it.

Sayah

Harada in the end is just one employee at Namco, if Namco wants character DLC then there will be character DLC. Nothing he can say or do to stop it.

He is an employee but he has massive sway within the company. I'm sure even TTT2 would have had character DLC if it weren't for Harada.

Right now, he's leading:

1). Pokken Tournament: Huge partnership with the Pokemon company.
2). Summer Lesson: One of the pivotal titles for Sony's VR technology.
3). Project Treasure: One of the only Wii U third party exclusives in development.
4). Tekken 7: Namco's best-selling franchise. I think it's topped Pac-Man now.

Losing Harada right now would be even worse than Team Ninja losing Itagaki or Konami losing Kojima. Harada right now is literally leading development on multiple important titles for Namco. So as I said, he got massive sway.

He is an employee but he has massive sway within the company. I'm sure even TTT2 would have had character DLC if it weren't for Harada.

Right now, he's leading:

1). Pokken Tournament: Huge partnership with the Pokemon company.
2). Summer Lesson: One of the pivotal titles for Sony's VR technology.
3). Project Treasure: One of the only Wii U third party exclusives in development.
4). Tekken 7: Namco's best-selling franchise. I think it's topped Pac-Man now.

Losing Harada right now would be even worse than Team Ninja losing Itagaki orKonami losing Kojima because Harada right now is literally working on multiple important titles for Namco. So as I said, he got massive sway.

Definitely not the same dude....

AAK

I remember when Shinji Mikami made the infamous statement that he'd cut off his own head if Resident Evil 4 ever went to a console other than Gamecube. Capcom didn't give a damn about their star employee's dignity and proceeded to port RE4 onto anything with a transistor inside. He had an identical position to Harada at Capcom where he was the executive producer of their most talented studio (at the time). I learned my lesson there, corporations are too strong :p

AAK really hit the nail on the head. If Namco wants it to be it will be doesn't matter what Harada says.
He has pull but I feel like there was a compromise when it came to TTT2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom