• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

DEATH™;165228774 said:
You gotta add the Capcom FG hype that made stream monsters hostile to games that isn't SF4 or Marvel, as one of the reasons.

Seriously, for Tag 2 to even do well over all kinds of circumstances thrown at it speaks alot about the game.

I am trying not to give credence to stream monsters. lol.

I am well aware that non-Capcom fighting games got shat on a lot before, even here on neogaf but I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things. The competitive fighting game community is a very small minority chunk out of the millions that these games sell.

Wasn't MKX also being dissed because it had more entrants than SFIV at some recent tourney? But, as I said, in the macro, I don't think these petty things like that matter much for Netherrealm. The game already is the fastest selling MK ever.

AAK

Yeah, in the end we'll have the same discussion about presentation, but I definitely do want to chime in on the discovery aspect. The video you linked only showcased combo's. Sure, the combo structure may be different and there will be some room to discover ways of optimizing damage. BUT discovery should extend from combo's to the neutral game simultaneously. MK brought everyone brand new moves and with them came brand new frame data. In Tekken 7, the core gamestyle of every character is identical. The same neutral strategies apply to the cast that we've been doing since Tekken 6. The key moves each character receives should have been spiced up considerably more to bring about new playstyles and new things to learn from the game. I don't think it's an outlandish thing to expect from a numbered sequel.

And I know I won't hate Tekken 7. I enjoyed T6, TTT2, and even TR for whatever they offered. T7 is still the same thing. And the movement nerfs won't affect me because I'm not at JDCR or Nobi's level of play. I'm just expressing the absolute wasted opportunity Namco had which so many other companies like NRS and Capcom capitalized on.

TTT2 is so good, and I can always go back to that if I want to play the same traditional era of Tekken... It's nigh time the series has a new chapter in the saga to experience.

Sayah

Well, you kind of will hate Tekken 7 if you face a lot of Chloe's online. :p
(including mines except not in that atrocious costume..........you can hate me all you want but I'm with Justin Wong on this one. Chloe's playstyle looks really really fun........and her win taunts are just salt on wounds....."see you next time.... baaaiiiiiiii..")

And they've changed properties and frame data for some moves. Though, I guess you're trying to say that the encounters will still be the same (i.e. everyone still has the same main pokes, puniers, etc.). At least you got a completely reanimated Bruce. :)

AAK

tumblr_mr5qmgz16d1s106oqo1_500.gif

I kind of agree T7 could use a shinier coat of paint (could still happen! Though i think it looks really good right now tbh), more of a focus on story (probably won't happen) and more new movesets or changes (probably won't happen either).

That said, it's not like those other devs are doing things perfectly either. MKX still has awful and region locked online, and the DLC practices are the pits. Those alone are keeping me from playing right there. And half the versions are garbagola. SFV reputedly will launch with 16 characters or so, and you know.. Ryu is still just as Ryu as he's always been. cr.mk fireball DP same old same old. They -could- switch it up with new characters and good online and no horrible DLC but since it's Capcom i'm not holding my breath. If the next announced characters are like, Ken and Akuma and Zangief or something that'd kill my hype stone dead. Arcsys games don't even get proper launches over here in Europe. 6 months late full price digital only, if they show up at all.

Yeah, there's a bunch of things Bamco could take from these other games. But i feel like there's too much of a focus on the negatives, since the reverse is also true. Color and costume customization? You pay for that in most other games if you get it at all. This many new characters, this roster size? Some games get that. A lot don't. No constant customer fleecing with DLC and/or constant new versions? We'll see.

And they've been fecking great about bringing the game out for community events and getting it at EVO.

Guess i'm saying i don't agree with the 'NRS (and/or Capcom or whoever) are doing great while Bamco is messing up' narrative.

Sayah

I kind of agree T7 could use a shinier coat of paint (could still happen! Though i think it looks really good right now tbh), more of a focus on story (probably won't happen) and more new movesets or changes (probably won't happen either).

That said, it's not like those other devs are doing things perfectly either. MKX still has awful and region locked online, and the DLC practices are the pits. Those alone are keeping me from playing right there. And half the versions are garbagola. SFV reputedly will launch with 16 characters or so, and you know.. Ryu is still just as Ryu as he's always been. cr.mk fireball DP same old same old. They -could- switch it up with new characters and good online and no horrible DLC but since it's Capcom i'm not holding my breath. If the next announced characters are like, Ken and Akuma and Zangief or something that'd kill my hype stone dead. Arcsys games don't even get proper launches over here in Europe. 6 months late full price digital only, if they show up at all.

Yeah, there's a bunch of things Bamco could take from these other games. But i feel like there's too much of a focus on the negatives, since the reverse is also true. Color and costume customization? You pay for that in most other games if you get it at all. This many new characters, this roster size? Some games get that. A lot don't. No constant customer fleecing with DLC and/or constant new versions? We'll see.

And they've been fecking great about bringing the game out for community events and getting it at EVO.

Guess i'm saying i don't agree with the 'NRS (and/or Capcom or whoever) are doing great while Bamco is messing up' narrative.

Well, the story will get more focus during console release. I just don't want another scenario campaign.

Poor VF.

Maybe the series would have caught on in America had it not been exclusive to unpopular systems like the Sega 32x, Sega Saturn, and Sega Dreamcast for the first three entries.

I think it has more to do with VF5FS just being an update to VF5 and not an actual new sequel.

I do think you're forgetting two extremely important things that MK absolutely destroyed Tekken 7 in: presentation and discovery. Every character got brand new outfits, new moves all across the board, not a single grab, super/x-ray, or fatality recycled from the previous game taking advantage of all the new technology the game offered. And secondly, MKX gave everyone so much room to explore and discover strategies which is one of the most enjoyable aspects of fighting games in general. It is incredibly refreshing to experience a brand new game where legacy skills don't apply.

Those aren't exactly true. There are plenty of carry overs from MK9 and your legacy skills do transfer once you get used to stamina and thing tighter execution necessary.

AAK

I guess a more appropriate term was legacy knowledge rather than legacy skills. You're right about the pressure and juggle system being very similar to MK9 but the actual implementation of it is completely different in MKX while T7's implementation of pressure, punishers, etc. is identical to T6/TTT2/TR.

I guess a more appropriate term was legacy knowledge rather than legacy skills. You're right about the pressure and juggle system being very similar to MK9 but the actual implementation of it is completely different in MKX while T7's implementation of pressure, punishers, etc. is identical to T6/TTT2/TR.

Its not even that different either. I can still use everything I learned in MK9 in MKX. The pressure and everything feels the same but the execution is tighter so everything feels a bit different until you get used to that. If anything the characters are different enough to make the game feel that way. Its not completely different, it just feels different.

AAK

By implementation I meant how you punish and carry things out. For example with MK9 Liu Kang you'd always punish with b+3,2,1 as your juggle starter. Now, that string is completely gone and instead you have to learn new strings and the optimal combo's/setups that can follow that combo starter. The same thing applies to every character in the game so re-learning a lot of those things makes the game feel so fresh.

By implementation I meant how you punish and carry things out. For example with MK9 Liu Kang you'd always punish with b+3,2,1 as your juggle starter. Now, that string is completely gone and instead you have to learn new strings and the optimal combo's/setups that can follow that combo starter. The same thing applies to every character in the game so re-learning a lot of those things makes the game feel so fresh.

OK I see what you mean..that's pretty much every game but....oh...

MMaRsu

Hi guys whats up yall. After loving this on ps3 I have purchased the game second hand only to find that Scamco still has that online pass bullshit up.

Id love to play online but is there still an active community? The pass cost me 10 euros if I decide to buy it.

Fraeon

Plenty of people are still playing the game. There was a whole bunch of people world arena and a whole other bunch of people on ranked. I just came from a 2-3 hour session of the game, so...

The player count only gets sparse at higher ranks (orange and up). There's also quite a few Euros on this thread playing the game (including me). I don't think getting matches will be an issue.

Fraeon

It had some pretty obvious input lag IIRC.

I don't know, I just enjoyed the movie where you have a guy angsting about how he's immortal and then he's dead after Heihachi powerbombs him in 2 seconds flat.

lupinko

Good grief

Yeah I'm still waiting to unlock that Ranger outfit of hers (the top half is what you quoted).

I've unlocked this as the only female only clothing thus far.

oo9c4Mh.png

Since I took up Asuka now I don't know if this should go to Kat, Asuka or Leo. Lol

A bunch of the male clothes Leo can also wear.

Edit: I shouldn't have tried to develop the men's track pants. But if I put in more effort into Leo at home with Tag 2, should be less of a grind at the arcade in 7.

Pachimari

Nice! Again, what is ws?

We should really add some of the basics to the OP. Or maybe even remake it, now that all of the images are gone?

Nice! Again, what is ws?

We should really add some of the basics to the OP. Or maybe even remake it, now that all of the images are gone?

While standing. It's when you rise from a crouch and press the button. Also called 'while rising' sometimes but since wr can conflict with 'while running' it's ws.

sasuke_91

Hi guys whats up yall. After loving this on ps3 I have purchased the game second hand only to find that Scamco still has that online pass bullshit up.

Id love to play online but is there still an active community? The pass cost me 10 euros if I decide to buy it.

PS3 is always busy and Europe has the most active community. I'm from Germany, if you want to play, just add me -> UchihaSasuke_91

Hi,

We're going to be running another Finnish online biweekly in about 2 hours.

http://www.twitch.tv/biiruken

We got a bit over 10 participants again.

Nice. I'll make sure to watch some of it if I make it home in time.
And sorry for not responding yesterday. I didn't see your message and it was too late when I did.

While standing. It's when you rise from a crouch and press the button. Also called 'while rising' sometimes but since wr can conflict with 'while running' it's ws.

I always say "while standing up" because while standing sounds weird and confused me when I first learned the notation :p

It seems like the newest FGW thread has the FFM Rumble tournament listed in its list for events. It's starting on Friday.

Numb

Lots of people from EU here. Add me and we can play when you are up for it. PSN ID imtherealkratos.

Fraeon

I've been playing TTT2 a lot more lately and with my main team. Pretty much every day this week I've spent at least an hour or so either in practice or online (still need to find out safe hard to crush frame traps against players that are just about hitting buttons).

But at any rate, if anyone's interested, just hit me up on PSN. I'm Fraelynn over there.

Also uploaded the grand finals set from yesterday for those who missed the tournament and are interested where the Finnish level of Tekken is at.

Dunno but he's totally coming. I really can't see him and Nina not making it into the game. I've come to terms wit the idea that Lee wont be back though it makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom