• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

So Julia is next week?
Yeah. I forgot all about Kazumi for a moment. JayCee could be the next one.

PS: Updated the roster.

zUcX0Zw.png
DbzqJv9.png
xUY00zV.png
dhLogQB.png
415smJq.png
e9hmT3f.png
n2XW4Br.png
I2yQGpl.png
JIPXBb1.png
eRQdaZP.png

9aZkmtS.png
kajECUu.png
Y4rFjEH.png
Qt9BCpQ.png
BIkQH2k.png
UjeUVpX.png
kd2FyXQ.png
zq7CLxn.png
Nhqkmgn.png
hYAOykD.png

HHGkFMe.png
7wlSMB5.png
EYpdEfJ.png
yNy6jWY.png
Y1HehGc.png
eq3d0zM.png
IkaHIpK.png

I wonder if we will have 31-33 characters overall, looking at that character select screen. Which would mean 4-6 more time release characters, three of which are highly likely JayCee, Lei and Nina.

I hope, that Eliza, Miguel and Zafina are in. And I for one also wishes Christie will be in.

Numb

I hope, that Eliza, Miguel and Zafina are in. And I for one also wishes Christie will be in.

Eliza might be stuck in the revolution. Hope that is not the case. I am one of those guys that did not grind 20000 twilight points to unlock her so she is basically a brand new chaacter to me. Hope someone Harada listens to talks to him or twitts him.

AAK

The core design is so good. What's wrong with a female traditional karate practitioner? All this supernatural excess baggage is running it for me :( Keep all that stuff to the single player boss mode.

I guess I'm also very surprised at how well received the tigers and teleports are by the public. I suppose I am a very small minority that wants Tekken to go back to celebrating martial arts.

sasuke_91

The core design is so good. What's wrong with a female traditional karate practitioner? All this supernatural excess baggage is running it for me :(

I guess I'm also very surprised at how well received the tigers and teleports are by the public. I suppose I am a very small minority that wants Tekken to go back to celebrating martial arts.

People just like the Tiger because of Tiger Uppercut :p
And it seems like the fact that she is fully clothed, very pretty and has a nice seiyuu also pleases the FG community.

I like her. She seems to play like a Mishima, but with a tiger. And I also like the fact that the game looks better and better everytime I see it^^

Almost all the rage arts look only 'okay' to me to be honest, so this one is above average in that respect. The air combo looks pretty cool.

I like Yoshimitsu's though. Claudio's is good too with the spirit arrow or whatever.

Good grief

Besides the coloring, the above is a good example of why hands & torsos being merged is a baaaad idea.

Hands and torsos are seriously still merged? They couldn't be like Tekken 6? Wtf

Also, can you give Marshall Law his moustache? Still can't believe that you couldn't in TTT2.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Hands and torsos are seriously still merged? They couldn't be like Tekken 6? Wtf

Also, can you give Marshall Law his moustache? Still can't believe that you couldn't in TTT2.

Currently, yeah. Right now I'm hoping that some kind of big-style update happens that improves the customization.

And not that I know of, no. At least not yet. Which sucks, the facial hair options in 6 were really cool.

AAK

Currently, yeah. Right now I'm hoping that some kind of big-style update happens that improves the customization.

An update can't fix something like that. They made the design decision to have the TTT2 customization system and optimized the memory to handle everything else (characters, backgrounds, stats, etc). Freeing up memory to re-do the customization system would involve altering everything else in the game which won't happen
unless there's some kind of DR/BR re-release

Creaking

An update can't fix something like that. They made the design decision to have the TTT2 customization system and optimized the memory to handle everything else (characters, backgrounds, stats, etc). Freeing up memory to re-do the customization system would involve altering everything else in the game which won't happen unless there's some kind of DR/BR re-release.

That's what I mean by big-style update.

The core design is so good. What's wrong with a female traditional karate practitioner? All this supernatural excess baggage is running it for me :( Keep all that stuff to the single player boss mode.

Honestly seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Creaking

I do want to point out that Kazumi was a less divisive reveal than the likes of, say, Lucky Chloe, despite having wacky magical tiger attacks. The key thing, I believe, is that Kazumi is presented as someone who is capable of fighting these martial arts experts. She's got a magical tiger, but it's used as a force of power, rather than a joke or something cute. Her demeanor is reserved and serious, which, while not necessary to have a good fighting game character, is a long ways away from treating the fight like it's bumper cars at the fair. She also isn't a teenaged otaku pop-star dancer who has no business laying a single hit on trained martial artists.

Anyway, I guess I'm just trying to say that the old "Tekken is wacky" defense was stupid, and that there is a correlation between the good wacky of Kazumi's tiger and her approval and the bad wacky of that other thing I don't want to talk about anymore, and her... divisive reception.

HeelPower

I honestly still think that's not gonna happen. If they were gonna do a BR style re-release it will be balance patches and for the love of god some new animations.

They definitely will do a revised version.Happened with TTT2U and T6BR.

This one of major benefits of Namco's arcade model anyway,and harada himself stated as such.Not reaping that balance/polish reward through player feedback would be a waste.

hate the arcade model though.It drains the life out of the game before it even releases.

AAK

Honestly seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Yeah I suppose this is the balance that clicks with most people. I personally want them to do away with the wackiness completely.

They definitely will do a revised version.Happened with TTT2U and T6BR.

This one of major benefits of Namco's arcade model anyway,and harada himself stated as such.Not reaping that balance/polish reward through player feedback would be a waste.

hate the arcade model though.It drains the life out of the game before it even releases.

I'm not talking about the game getting a BR style release. I too am leaning more towards that reality with a console version of that version for sometime in 2017. The post I made was saying that when a BR release happens they're not going to revamp the customization system to bring it back to Tekken 6's fidelity.

Numb

Good games Grayfox. I see being away from Gaf turned you into a killer. Took me a while to get used to that Lei who came out of nowhere.

Yeah I suppose this is the balance that clicks with most people. I personally want them to do away with the wackiness completely.

Ever thought about giving VF a spin? It's a good game and seems to align better conceptually with what you want. Tekken kinda has been bears and robots and devils from the start so..

I really hope we'll get console T7 this year. The wait is bad enough already.

sasuke_91

Ever thought about giving VF a spin? It's a good game and seems to align better conceptually with what you want. Tekken kinda has been bears and robots and devils from the start so..

I really hope we'll get console T7 this year. The wait is bad enough already.
AAK already plays VF^^
I don't see T7 coming anytime before 2016 :/

FFM Rumble is pretty packed. We played some casuals for a few hours yesterday, tommorow will be our small tournament.
I saw FAB (some Japanese SF or GG player, not sure) yesterday and people where circling around him while he was giving them a lesson :p

AAK

I LOVE Virtua Fighter. I play it every week with GAF's own Essay. I enjoy Tekken's gameplay more but hot damn is that game so good.

AAK already plays VF^^
I don't see T7 coming anytime before 2016 :/

FFM Rumble is pretty packed. We played some casuals for a few hours yesterday, tommorow will be our small tournament.
I saw FAB (some Japanese SF or GG player, not sure) yesterday and people where circling around him while he was giving them a lesson :p

Yo cool! Enjoy Lagless Tekken man ;)

sasuke_91

Yo cool! Enjoy Lagless Tekken man ;)
Thanks bro. Playing Offline makes you realize what a lie Online is. My execution is sooo much better, punishing is easier and guaranteed hits are actually guaranteed^^
It seems like Ice_Beam is not attending though. This only increases the possibility of me winning :p

Heh, I actually like the tiger and think it's unique. I think they went this route due to more modern gamers preferring more flashiness over realism. For example, gamers love Marvel or 2D fighters in general because they typically have more emphasis on style over realism. Honestly, it does not matter to me generally. I like the over the top style of a Lars and a more realistic style(?) of a Pai from Virtua Fighter. I think Tekken blends them quite well. I can understand where you are coming from though when the game went from Bruce Lee or Jet Li to some characters going full blown Dragon Ball Z style.

AAK

Unfortunately, there's no stream for side-events. Only for main events and Killer Instinct.

That tournament is pretty big for USF IV players, because it's part of the Capcom Pro Tour. 3D fighters are dead here in Germany :(

Interesting, BTW is Ryan Hart there? That man has such a good Kazuya. Do try to play him if he's entering TTT2.

There was a time where I played VF and I thought it was better than Tekken. I played VF all the time with the players in Upstate but at the end of the day it just wasn't as good or as satisfying as playing Tekken.

Yo boutdown how did you get your name switched?

I still have the game installed if you want to try some matches, I doubt I remember much of how to actually play though lol.

Agh! You tempt me when i'd more or less finally decided to stop playing everything under the sun and try to really step it up in one game =D

(But we can play a little some time, sure~ )

sasuke_91

Interesting, BTW is Ryan Hart there? That man has such a good Kazuya. Do try to play him if he's entering TTT2.
Only one of the MadCatz guys is there, I think. Tokido. He might enter Tekken if we ask him.

http://rumble.hardedge.org/entrants/
These are the people that signed up for a tournament. Those who are not signed up for a specific tournament are either playing Tekken or maybe MKX or something that is not listed as a main event. No big names there :(
There are some German players who wanted to attend,but they didn't make it. And honestly, it's not worth it to travel 400km+ for a side event...

Degen

I love her character design, fighting style, stance and the tiger, but her RageArt compared to all that is disappointing.

Rage art left me feeling the same. They should have added some tiger combos in there.

Kazumi seems pretty cool. Yet another lame rage art though.
Remember the old 2D fighters whose Supers each looked like two or three regular moves strung together?

like how Ken's super was basically two Shoryukens, or Cammy's was literally a Cannon Drill followed by the anti-air

well

just measure T7 by pre-1995 standards

it's totally reasonable

Numb

Remember the old 2D fighters whose Supers each looked like two or three regular moves strung together?

like how Ken's super was basically two Shoryukens, or Cammy's was literally a Cannon Drill followed by the anti-air

well

it's totally reasonable

Lol.
Maybe if we keep in mind that this is the first time Tekken is doing this then it could be reasonable aswell.

well

it's totally reasonable

What do you mean pre 1995 standards? Capcom still does that and they even did it in 3rd Strike. What? You didn't notice that Ken's SAIII is just a bunch of HK and MK into a Tatsu. All the same animations just strung together.

AAK

well

it's totally reasonable

Okay I chuckled pretty hard here.

Sayah

well

it's totally reasonable

lol, stop trolling Degen.

SF still does that. Just command list moves turned into ultras.

Ryu --> Hadouken
Sakura --> Hadouken
Ken --> Tatsu
Chun-Li --> Lightning kicks
Cammy --> Gyro drive
Guile --> also his projectile attack whatever that's called
etc.
etc.

Except they look cooler somehow.

HeelPower

I'm not talking about the game getting a BR style release. I too am leaning more towards that reality with a console version of that version for sometime in 2017. The post I made was saying that when a BR release happens they're not going to revamp the customization system to bring it back to Tekken 6's fidelity.

ahh sorry for misunderstanding.

Holycrap though..you're predicting 2017 release date ? That would kill the game :0

AAK

Well maybe 2016 then, just making an educated guess after looking at their history.

It took 13 months for consoles to get Tekken DR
It took 22 months for consoles to get Tekken 6 (10 months if you only look at BR)
It took 12 months for consoles to get Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (6 months if you only look at TTT2 unlimited)

Tekken DR came out exactly 12 months after Tekken 5.0
Tekken BR also came out exactly 12 months after Tekken 6.0
TTT2 unlimited however came out only 6 months after TTT2 Vanilla

A big difference is that unlimited had no extra characters or stages and was simply a balance patch. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Tekken 7 BR release will have extra characters/stages
or am I expecting too much from Namco here
. But looking at this pattern, Tekken 7 came out in March 2015, if a BR style re-release will happen, the pattern shows it's going to be a one year thing so March 2016. After that, taking the average of how long it took for DR and BR to come to cnsoles: 13 and 10, that comes to 11.5 months. That adds up to February 2017 for a console release of Tekken 7 going by the pattern.

Maybe Namco will speed up the time from re-release to console to make the 2016 date, or maybe the T7 BR won't have any new characters and is simply a balance/system patch coming even quicker than T5DR/T6BR, but who knows. All I hope for, is that the game is much much more when we get to play it... but that is just setting myself up for disaster whenever I set expectations for this game.... AT LEAST the load times Namco.....

EDIT:

Just found out CC streams.

Creaking

You do have to consider that we got home versions of both Tekken 5 and Tekken DR. The same can't be said of Vanilla 6 or Tag 2.

I think development circumstances have been too different to reasonably expect a pattern to repeat.

Sayah

Well maybe 2016 then, just making an educated guess after looking at their history.

It took 13 months for consoles to get Tekken DR
It took 22 months for consoles to get Tekken 6 (10 months if you only look at BR)
It took 12 months for consoles to get Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (6 months if you only look at TTT2 unlimited)

Tekken DR came out exactly 12 months after Tekken 5.0
Tekken BR also came out exactly 12 months after Tekken 6.0
TTT2 unlimited however came out only 6 months after TTT2 Vanilla

A big difference is that unlimited had no extra characters or stages and was simply a balance patch. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Tekken 7 BR release will have extra characters/stages
or am I expecting too much from Namco here
. But looking at this pattern, Tekken 7 came out in March 2015, if a BR style re-release will happen, the pattern shows it's going to be a one year thing so March 2016. After that, taking the average of how long it took for DR and BR to come to cnsoles: 13 and 10, that comes to 11.5 months. That adds up to February 2017 for a console release of Tekken 7 going by the pattern.

Maybe Namco will speed up the time from re-release to console to make the 2016 date, or maybe the T7 BR won't have any new characters and is simply a balance/system patch coming even quicker than T5DR/T6BR, but who knows. All I hope for, is that the game is much much more when we get to play it... but that is just setting myself up for disaster whenever I set expectations for this game.... AT LEAST the load times Namco.....

EDIT:

Just found out CC streams.

I think you're looking too deeply into this. lol.
Tekken 5 DR console was not some hotly anticipated title. And why not include Tekken 5 vanilla in your average, which possibly had the quickest arcade to console conversion.

I'm not so sure T7 will be getting a "second version". Big part of the reason they're using the arcade system they have now is to introduce updates easy and seamless. There's nothing stopping them from continually iterating on this build forever. IIRC the latest patch added a new stage. I expect things to continue on like this. It's possible the game may have quite a bit more content six months from now than it does today, but the name won't change.

Well, unless business wanes and they just decide to slap a subtitle on it to spark more interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom