• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've said this shit before but they better bring back Marshall's moustache
NJDxSnm.jpg

it looks like the customization is really bad right now. they need to AT LEAST bring it to Tekken 6 levels. was Tekken 6 customization bad with the vanilla arcade release too? i wasn't paying much attention to the game at the time.

sasuke_91

Kazumi's movelist is pretty short. I guess it's even shorter than Kazuya's?

It would be nice to know what costumization was like in the vanilla Tekken 6 version. It may even make people stop complaining about the lack of options.

Good games Numb. A very fun session. When you first came here you completely destroyed me, but the more often we play against each other, the more you become the Gaffer I have the most even and exciting matches with. If you just played a little safer... :p

Numb

Kazumi's movelist is pretty short. I guess it's even shorter than Kazuya's?

It would be nice to know what costumization was like in the vanilla Tekken 6 version. It may even make people stop complaining about the lack of options.

Good games Numb. A very fun session. When you first came here you completely destroyed me, but the more often we play against each other, the more you become the Gaffer I have the most even and exciting matches with. If you just played a little safer... :p

Just cross your fingers and hope the customization improves for console. I only ever wish that we got the same level of customization as Soul calibur.

Good games man. The more you get used to me the harder i have to work to win. I hate fighting Hworang but i like fighting yours since you give me breathing room that i never see from Hwo players. I think we have the opposite playing styles where you are safe and calculating and i am daring and risky and thus have crazy matches that way. I try to play safe sometimes but i will never open you up like that. You are so so patient that you never attack when the round begins and so i gotta take risky tactics like Bob buttstomps to make you think i will be doing the sweep or anything else and lots of unblockables.

sasuke_91

Just cross your fingers and hope the customization improves for console. I only ever wish that we got the same level of customization as Soul calibur.

Good games man. The more you get used to me the harder i have to work to win. I hate fighting Hworang but i like fighting yours since you give me breathing room that i never see from Hwo players. I think we have the opposite playing styles where you are safe and calculating and i am daring and risky and thus have crazy matches that way. I try to play safe sometimes but i will never open you up like that. You are so so patient that you never attack when the round begins and so i gotta take risky tactics like Bob buttstomps to make you think i will be doing the sweep or anything else and lots of unblockables.
I think that's it. Trying to read you and guessing right is extremely satisfying. My throw breaking is really bad, but I anticipated Law's/Bob's throw launcher in the right situations and was able to break it. Felt great. And punishing with a launcher is also way more satisfying than launching you in the open :p
You seem to use more homing moves now, I guess. Sidestepping was a little harder today.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
was Tekken 6 customization bad with the vanilla arcade release too? i wasn't paying much attention to the game at the time.
It would be nice to know what customization was like in the vanilla Tekken 6 version. It may even make people stop complaining about the lack of options.

There were fewer options on the whole, but the options themselves were more detailed. Hands and feet were separate from torsos and legs, and face accessories like hair, makeup, masks, etc. were still a thing. The options were much more unique to each character as well. The only shared customizations were glasses, 6 headgear bits, 3 waist bits, and 1 flag that was carried on the back.
Examples:

Those are all pre Bloodline Rebellion. I believe BR just added more customizations overall and the create-a-hairdo feature.

AAK

was Tekken 6 customization bad with the vanilla arcade release too? i wasn't paying much attention to the game at the time.

Imagine the customization system of Tekken 6 on console. Now take away one or two of the options from each of the and that is how vanilla Tekken 6 was. The robust system for customizing individual hands, arms,feet was all built into the games framework.

Numb

I think that's it. Trying to read you and guessing right is extremely satisfying. My throw breaking is really bad, but I anticipated Law's/Bob's throw launcher in the right situations and was able to break it. Felt great. And punishing with a launcher is also way more satisfying than launching you in the open :p
You seem to use more homing moves now, I guess. Sidestepping was a little harder today.

Your throw breaking was on point and freaked me out at first. I just get lucky with breaking no matter how hard i concentrate or practice. I threw some random homing moves to stop your sidestepping since i'd rather attack than wait and see the side steps.

Wish Kazumi inherited more of Jinpachi's moves. Would pick his u+4 and also stomp, df1+2 would be perfect but Devil Kazuya stole it. My hype for Tekken 7 got higher since seeing her in action and i do hope the short movelist doesn't limit her options too much. Can't wait to use her. On the other hand everyone you use is in except Lee which makes me jealous.

There were fewer options on the whole, but the options themselves were more detailed. Hands and feet were separate from torsos and legs, and face accessories like hair, makeup, masks, etc. were still a thing. The options were much more unique to each character as well. The only shared customizations were glasses, 6 headgear bits, 3 waist bits, and 1 flag that was carried on the back.
Examples:

Those are all pre Bloodline Rebellion. I believe BR just added more customizations overall and the create-a-hairdo feature.

Imagine the customization system of Tekken 6 on console. Now take away one or two of the options from each of the and that is how vanilla Tekken 6 was. The robust system for customizing individual hands, arms,feet was all built into the games framework.

sigh. guess that I'll just accept that Tekken 7 will probably have a crappy customization system now to avoid further disappointment.

Creaking

sigh. guess that I'll just accept that Tekken 7 will probably have a crappy customization system now to avoid further disappointment.

Alas, feature progression after years of still not being as good as Tekken 6 is apparently too much to ask for.

And lets not forget that Tekken 6 also had proper alts on top of that.

Finally got around to reading that Knee stream chat log.

ExAce123: Help_me why is heihachi so unpopular?
Help_me: because he is too old
Help_me: you dont know asian player's trendency
Help_me: asian always select handsome or pretty character

RIP

Just so I'm clear, T7 arcade doesn't have character ending cinematics right? I assume that since we haven't seen any by now. Did Tag arcade have them?

A while back Harada promised that the story would be "very dark", but we haven't seen any indication of that so far.

Sayah

No, there aren't any CG endings.
Tekken Tag 2 arcade also didn't have them.
That stuff will show up during console release.

Creaking

Where did you get those from? Do you have a version for Jin and Lars?

I used the googles, searching "Tekken 6 customization -character name-" Took some scrolling, but they showed up. I remember some sites used to have all of them, but now you kind of have to search around. I don't know what they're from originally.

Lars wouldn't have one, since he wasn't introduced until Bloodline Rebellion.

Here's Jin

edit: This guy's photobucket seems to have most of them.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you, loved his T6 Parka variation. It looked like an evolution of his T4 one. Also loved Lars' Puffy Jacket and Gauntlets, T7 custom please be good T.T

Creaking

Thank you, loved his T6 Parka variation. It looked like an evolution of his T4 one. Also loved Lars' Puffy Jacket and Gauntlets, T7 custom please be good T.T

Maybe if we think, and wish, and hope, and pray, it might come true.

Or maybe if we complain to Harada until he threatens to remove customization entirely from the western versions of the game regardless of who was complaining.

Sayah

Maybe if we think, and wish, and hope, and pray, it might come true.

Or maybe if we complain to Harada until he threatens to remove customization entirely from the western versions of the game regardless of who was complaining.

I'll just link you to my old post.

Read the second "Presentation" section.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165226683&postcount=5297

The problem is the reuse of old Tag 2 customs, which look jarring in a new game. If they remove those and keep the "newly developed" stuff, the customizations can be really good quality.

Creaking

I'll just link you to my old post.

Read the second "Presentation" section.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=165226683&postcount=5297

The problem is the reuse of old Tag 2 customs, which look jarring in a new game. If they remove those and keep the "newly developed" stuff, the customizations can be really good quality.

I disagree. I actually don't mind reused stuff. In fact, I really wish they would reuse more stuff, namely customizations from Tekken 6. To me, most of the new Tekken 7 customizations look either generic (and I'm not talking about the reused generics from Tag 2) or awful, but perhaps I haven't seen all of them (is there anyone out there trying to keep track of them?)

By far my biggest gripe is that gloves and footwear are still merged with torsos and legs respectively. The explanation for Tag 2 is that they had to load 4 characters onto the screen at once, and so they couldn't do costumes that were made of so many individual parts. But now Tekken 7 is here, running on more powerful hardware and rendering only two characters, so I'm wondering what the heck gives.

What's worse is that now we're getting "customizations" that are just full body costumes. I don't mind doing new costumes through customization, but why can't they do them in parts? I don't think it's a matter of quality (ie, the argument that these new costumes would look pieced together if they were made up of multiple segmented parts). Tekken 6's default and alternate costumes were able to be segmented through customization, and they looked fine. Why can't they do that here?

I wouldn't mind the generic customizations if the system was still detailed and specialized "for-this-character-only" customs were there as well, but they're a near non-presence; it's 90% generic. Again, it was understandable in Tekken Tag 2, since they had nearly 60 characters to deal with, but now the roster is only 27, less than 3/4ths of Tekken 6's roster, yet I'm mostly seeing generic reused stuff from Tag 2, which was in turn reused from Tekken 6.

It's a confused regression, and I wish folks would raise more of a stink about it.

...But of course it is only an extra feature.

edit:

lmao, how have I never seen these before?

edit edit:

In case there was any doubt, Harada pretty much confirms that Tekken 7 will get a Dark Resurrection/Bloodline Rebellion/Unlimited update.

Sayah

I wouldn't exactly call these generic customs. They are pretty high fidelity and may as well be secondary defaults.

CF0tG1mUsAA3NJe.jpg

CBCWmw5UwAAItKq.jpg:large

But anywho, I'm not going to have a long drawn out argument over this.

Creaking

I wouldn't exactly call these generic customs. They are pretty high fidelity and may as well be secondary defaults.

CF0tG1mUsAA3NJe.jpg

CBCWmw5UwAAItKq.jpg:large

No, not generic (although I swear Lili's had some kind of costume that was similar to that before...), but I'd hardly call them customs. You can change the colors and put a hat on, but otherwise they're just one big costume, only without the luxury of being able to mix and match with other parts as you can with the default costumes.

MikeMyers

He got a six month ban over something he said.

Damn.

Because I am sick and have nothing better to do, I actually wrote an outline for a T1/T2 hybrid story.

PART 1:
Yoshimitsu vs. Ganyru
Nina Williams vs. Anna Williams
Marshall Law vs. Wang Jinrei
Kazuya Mishima vs Lee Chaolan
Paul Phoenix vs Kuma
Jack vs. P-Jack
King vs Armor King
Michelle vs. Kunimitsu
Armor King vs. Michelle
Kazuya Mishima vs. Paul Phoenix
Kazuya Mishima vs. Heihachi Mishima

PART 2:
Roger vs. Paul Phoenix
Bawk Do San vs. Marshall Law
Kuma vs. Jun Kazama
P-Jack vs. Jack-2
Ganryu vs. King
Bruce Irven vs. Lei Wulong
Lei Wulong vs. King
Jun Kazama vs. Wang Jinrei
Jun Kazama vs. Devil Kazuya
Heihachi Mishima vs. Kazuya Mishima

The 2nd part has mostly changes. In order to let the player choose everyone at one point, I let the antagonists be the playable ones of 2 (fits with the darker tone). Paul is Kazuya's only threat (in this version, no one knows Heihachi is alive til the end), and Roger/Alex ambush him. Paul beats them but arrives at the tourney too late to compete. Jun beats Kazuya, but is too drawn to him to finish him off, and once she departs, a surprise return of Heihachi defeats Kazuya to take the thrown back.

EDIT: Just realized I forgot Armor King and Michelle in T2....uh, they got killed off in-between tournaments. Yeah >.>

lupinko

I tried out Kazumi tonight, pretty interesting but she barely has moves. Pretty early but she's not like the Mishima men or the ones of the Mexican variety.

I like her gimmick dash it's pretty cool, and she does have a step cancel.

Her tiger attacks are lol.

I tried to combo multiple WGFs but to no avail.

I think I'll play her too, much better than Asuka "Poke" Kazama at least.

I tried out Kazumi tonight, pretty interesting but she barely has moves. Pretty early but she's not like the Mishima men or the ones of the Mexican variety.

I like her gimmick dash it's pretty cool, and she does have a step cancel.

Sweet. About her fly, does it lowcrush well? Is the stuff out of it fast enough that it's a decent mixup, or do you get hopkicked all day or whatever?

lupinko

Sweet. About her fly, does it lowcrush well? Is the stuff out of it fast enough that it's a decent mixup, or do you get hopkicked all day or whatever?

It has multiple variations like the overhead kick which launches/bounds/whatever. I was very tired coming from judo so I actually can't remember it all. I played like three games of Kazumi two in training and one in local mode to get a feel for her.

I like the character but I kinda wanted her to have more Mishima stuff like you know hellsweeps? Lol

I forget if the boss version has this issue but if she's hit during the tiger attacks, the tiger will not connect iirc.

sasuke_91

Soo... GrayFoxPL noticed that the tiger on Heihachi's back is probably supposed to be Kazumi's pet tiger. Nice catch.

Good games Numb and GrayFoxPL. Numb with some crazy comebacks. I win 2 fights and you run over me like a bulldozer. Very nice :p

Ice_Beam uploaded some of our matches from FFM Rumble. This was me against Cloud_Syler, but he confused me with SSJ_Luffy, another Hwo/Steve player. Our first match also isn't included. It was probably already deleted from his PS3.
My spacing sucked hard, and for some reason I dropped Steve's combos everytime. She played really well though. Jin's 2,4 hurts like hell, and the FC jabs gave me a hard time^^

Numb

Soo... GrayFoxPL noticed that the tiger on Heihachi's back is probably supposed to be Kazumi's pet tiger. Nice catch.

Good games Numb and GrayFoxPL. Numb with some crazy comebacks. I win 2 fights and you run over me like a bulldozer. Very nice :p

Ice_Beam uploaded some of our matches from FFM Rumble. This was me against Cloud_Syler, but he confused me with SSJ_Luffy, another Hwo/Steve player. Our first match also isn't included. It was probably already deleted from his PS3.
My spacing sucked hard, and for some reason I dropped Steve's combos everytime. She played really well though. Jin's 2,4 hurts like hell, and the FC jabs gave me a hard time^^

Good games guys. I was surprised with the comebacks too.
Facing Gray's Baek after starring at it for so long was crazy and hard to fight.

You are right. I have never seen you drop so many combos and wiff as many JFSRs that always get me.
I bet you could have done better than 5th place if you were in your normal operating mode.

AAK

I saw the match Sasuke!

Couple things:

-You were ALWAYS sidestepping right when you were on 1P and sidestepping left on 2P. You should vary your movement a bit more. Your opponents will notice it and always go for moves that will track to that direction. And since you were on 1P for the majority of the match, you were stepping in Jin's strong direction :p

-I think you always did Hwoarang's b+3 after blocking Jin's f,f+2 or Lee f,f+3. It managed to work in this match but it's pretty hard read to commit to. That move is launch punishable so be careful

-You begin a lot of your offense from a little too far away. You are using moves like u/f+3+4 and other things to close the distance and catch her moving towards you. That move is jab punishable so it is very risky in an offline environment especially against Jin. But I believe Cloud noticed that and was always waiting and whiff punishing when you went for such moves. Instead try to safely approach and poke with safer moves and adapt by her reactions and use that knowledge throughout the match.

-But overall good job. If you had secured your combo's things could have been difficult. But your gameplay was a bit YOLO. Remember steve has a bunch of tools you should utilize like d+2,1 DCK cancel, delayed flicker pressure, foot stomp, wall push, and the punch parry. You gotta use them alll being a steve player. But main thing to work on is how you begin your offense IMO.

sasuke_91

You are right. I have never seen you drop so many combos and wiff as many JFSRs that always get me.
I bet you could have done better than 5th place if you were in your normal operating mode.

If I played like yesterday, I could have done better :p
I think that Cloud_Syler deserved 4th place though. She did a really good job at the tourney. She won some matches that I didn't really think she would be able to win.

I saw the match Sasuke!

Couple things:

-You were ALWAYS sidestepping right when you were on 1P and sidestepping left on 2P. You should vary your movement a bit more. Your opponents will notice it and always go for moves that will track to that direction. And since you were on 1P for the majority of the match, you were stepping in Jin's strong direction :p

It's easier for me to do a sidestep by tapping up, because I sometimes end up crouching when I tap down^^
Sidestepping in the right direction still confuses me sometimes. I always step into the wrong direction. I have to work on that.

-I think you always did Hwoarang's b+3 after blocking Jin's f,f+2 or Lee f,f+3. It managed to work in this match but it's pretty hard read to commit to. That move is launch punishable so be careful

She stopped blocking for a moment after f,f+2, so I used that opportunity and launched her. I even called her out on it after the third time, so you don't see me do it after some time.
How does Jin punish Hwo's b+3? d+3+4 would be impossible, his hopkick also doesn't reach. Lee can launch him pretty easily though.

-You begin a lot of your offense from a little too far away. You are using moves like u/f+3+4 and other things to close the distance and catch her moving towards you. That move is jab punishable so it is very risky in an offline environment especially against Jin. But I believe Cloud noticed that and was always waiting and whiff punishing when you went for such moves. Instead try to safely approach and poke with safer moves and adapt by her reactions and use that knowledge throughout the match.

That's one of my biggest flaws when it comes to my gameplay and something I have to seriously work on. I'm not able to properly close space and whiff too many moves. I rely on my opponent walking into my attacks and start shooting JFSRs from range 1 or 2... With Steve I always do the uf+1 jump-in, which seems to work for me :p

-But overall good job. If you had secured your combo's things could have been difficult. But your gameplay was a bit YOLO. Remember steve has a bunch of tools you should utilize like d+2,1 DCK cancel, delayed flicker pressure, foot stomp, wall push, and the punch parry. You gotta use them alll being a steve player. But main thing to work on is how you begin your offense IMO.

Thanks for the advice, AAK. It is much appreciated. It's always cool to have people analyze your matches and give advice to improve your gameplay :)

d+2,1 DCK is a move I should use way more often. Overall, I rely a bit too much on my execution and neglect the basics like poking and spacing. Someone once told me I should be "more than JFSR" and I guess he was right.

AAK

No problem, I can watch TTT2 matches all day, love this game. And Bryan's jet upper can punish b+3, Jin's can-can's should reach easily. If not, the easy mode punish is d/f+1,4 or 1+2 which will also work.

JDCR playing Gigas:

http://www.twitch.tv/tkjdcr

EDIT:

- 1,2 is -15
- d+3,2 is a l,m string. Only -10
- JDCR says he feels like True Ogre in TTT2 (because of how big he is, you have to play the similar defensive style)
- d/b+2 is -15. Is the same move the Marduk had with qcf+2
- JDCR thinks Gigas is easier to play than Marduk, but Marduk is way better
- He says f,f+2 is -12 but to me it looks safe. (THe move that looks like Marduk's d/b+2)

Sayah

Went through Feng and Steve's command list yesterday.

Steve is gonna take time to learn. Much complicated. Too many stances, lol. Peakaboo stance looks so cool.

Feng, on the other hand, is like the perfect character for a beginner. He's got solid mids and lows, excellent tracking moves, good launchers, and seems pretty easy to learn and pickup. You can just take 20 to 30 of his most essential moves and start using him.

Never paid much attention to either of these characters before. Only know how to fight against them.

Sayah

DEATH™;166333100 said:
Sayah, I have a challenge for you.

Over the course of watching Ippo, try to recognize which moves does Steve have...

I already watched 30 episodes. Wasn't paying attention to the particular move names.

I just know general terms like hook, jab, uppercut, peakboo stance, etc.

But anyway, I think I will work on a Feng/Steve team. Should make for an exciting new learning process. After going through his command list, I can't believe there were so many Steve high attacks I could have been ducking.

sasuke_91

I already watched 30 episodes. Wasn't paying attention to the particular move names.

But anyway, I think I will work on a Feng/Steve team. Should make for an exciting new learning process. After going through his command list, I can't believe there were so many Steve high attacks I could have been ducking.

The move doesn't appear so early on. You will know it when you see it :p

You ducked his most important ones already, didn't you? I wouldn't go overboard with ducking against Steve. Backdashing is probably the better solution. f+2,1 for example is mid/high, but there's also an alternative mid/mid version that launches on counterhit. And that's how most of his strings work that got a high in them. You either cancel them into a stance or get some nasty mind games with them^^

DEATH™

DUDE, you went to Rookie Tournament arc and not even mention or recognize Steve b+3+4?

Sayah

Any particular secret to doing Steve's gattling gun or do I have to press 1,2 really fast repeatedly and hope it comes out?

The move doesn't appear so early on. You will know it when you see it :p

You ducked his most important ones already, didn't you? I wouldn't go overboard with ducking against Steve. Backdashing is probably the better solution. f+2,1 for example is mid/high, but there's also an alternative mid/mid version that launches on counterhit. And that's how most of his strings work that got a high in them. You either cancel them into a stance or get some nasty mind games with them^^

Yeah, you're right. A lot of his highs can be turned into mid.

DEATH™;166339912 said:
DUDE, you went to Rookie Tournament arc and not even mention or recognize Steve b+3+4?

Oh yeah, flicker stance. I was only looking at move notations and not really at move names when I went through the command list earlier.

sasuke_91

Any particular secret to doing Steve's gattling gun or do I have to press 1,2 really fast repeatedly and hope it comes out?
I always forget... do you play pad or stick? I play pad and I play claw style. My only problem is inputting DCK 1+2. After that I just mash 1,2 repeatedly, which works almost everytime.

Sayah

This Aris tutorial was posted before in FGW. Pretty nice strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

I have to disagree with him, though, that all characters in Tekken are the same archetype. Just learning Steve right now is a completely different experience. And the way you have to understand this character and use him is not the conventional Tekken formula. Same with others characters with their own unique stances (like Lei, Hwoarang, etc.). You have to put in specialized experience in learning these characters. Or even characters like Yoshimitsu that have like a flurry of unblockables and tricks.

Sayah

I always forget... do you play pad or stick? I play pad and I play claw style. My only problem is inputting DCK 1+2. After that I just mash 1,2 repeatedly, which works almost everytime.

I play pad.
I tried playing stick but I sucked at it. It was like trying to play Tekken with analog sticks on a controller. Everything was coming out wrong, lol.

I can easily get DCK 1+2 but the repeated mashing of 1,2 is where I have problem.

At least it's easy to get Steve's just frame attacks to work.

sasuke_91

I play pad.
I tried playing stick but I sucked at it. It was like trying to play Tekken with analog sticks on a controller. Everything was coming out wrong, lol.

I can easily get DCK 1+2 but the repeated mashing of 1,2 is where I have problem.

At least it's easy to get Steve's just frame attacks to work.
I tried holding a stick once and using your whole hand and wrist to move was really weird and seemed tiring :p

Steve's Gatling Gun is only really important if you want to max out wall damage. I haven't seen anyone use it for anything else really.
We can do some Steve practice matches sometimes if you want ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom