• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

http://www.twitch.tv/tkjdcr

Was watching JDCR stream some online matches and he died doing a backroll on wakeup.

"AAhhhhh I'm stupid I'm thinking of T7. In T7 any situation you backroll it's safe and you just do it, in TTT2 you die"

Was laughing pretty hard haha.

Yo AAK can you do me a favor?

The game right now is an incomplete buggy mess.

A lot of stage issues and character specific nonsense that is constantly getting patched. Just recently they found Claudio's hitbox go under mids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcErU__k2VY

Can you not do this sort of hyperbole outside of TekkenGAF? Tekken 7 has had MAYBE 4 glitches that don't happen very often. It's hardly a "buggy mess" but when you say shit like this outside of Tekken GAF people start to actually believe it. They don't know and they get the impression it's like USFIV PS4. Claudio ducks under 1 mid at one specific range after 1 patch but you made it seem like Claudio just ducks under a whole bunch of mids all the time. Please relax with that shit or you are going to create a negativity around the game for the casual gaffer.

I have a real problem with this. Aris did the exact same thing before the launch of Tag 2 which is why I was very much not a fan of him for awhile. He just went around complaining about the game and told people not to play it. Hurting the games appeal. Said it takes 2 Tekkens for anyone to get good at Tekken. That clearly is not true with the huge influx of young bloods into the community with Tag 2 and there could have been even more. Aris seems to have learned from his past mistakes.

I'm not telling you not to express your opinions about the game but I'm asking you politely to tone down the hyperbole and negativity outside of this thread if you could. I want the Tekken community to grow and I want people to give this game a shot. If they hear a Tekken play trashing it out of context they might go "Oh well fuck that I'm not gonna waste my time" AGAIN and that's what I'm trying to avoid with Tekken 7.

AAK

I could have also mentioned about all the stage bugs that happened throughout and the Tekken 7 cabs randomly crashing in various instances that were thankfully patched.

But I stand by the statement that Tekken 7 is incomplete. I'm super mad at Namco releasing the game the way it is.

And it is a mess. You can't get away with blocking 10-win streaks and making the game as laggy as it is (judging by the comments of people that played it) when online is the base infrastructure.

In the end, I made my comments so people would stop expecting a console release anytime soon because the game NEEDS work. And lastly, the game is pretty much the same as it was in Tekken 6 with minor tweaks. If people didn't get into the game then, they won't join the game now. I think it'd be smart to expect the community to be the same size as it is now. What really is there in the new game that would compel people to play T7 that wasn't in T6? The best thing you can do is just try to get people to play the game in your current scene with the game you have now that's TTT2.

The best bet to hope for an influx of new players is Tekken X Street Fighter whenever that releases.

MikeMyers

Does anyone know where I can find sales for the series? Also, this maybe a stupid dumb question, but does SFXT factor in Tekken overall franchise sales? I think I read it at around 45 million somehwere.

I could have also mentioned about all the stage bugs that happened throughout and the Tekken 7 cabs randomly crashing in various instances that were thankfully patched.

But I stand by the statement that Tekken 7 is incomplete. I'm super mad at Namco releasing the game the way it is.

And it is a mess. You can't get away with blocking 10-win streaks and making the game as laggy as it is when online is the base infrastructure.

In the end, I made my comments so people would stop expecting a console release anytime soon because the game NEEDS work. And lastly, the game is pretty much the same as it was in Tekken 6 with minor tweaks. If people didn't get into the game then, they won't join the game now. I think it'd be smart to expect the community to be the same size as it is now. What really is there in the new game that would compel people to play T7 that wasn't in T6? The best thing you can do is just try to get people to play the game in your current scene with the game you have now that's TTT2.

The best bet to hope for an influx of new players is Tekken X Street Fighter whenever that releases.

So no. Okay gotcha. I'm not going to argue with you because I think you're a cool dude but know I don't agree with almost everything you just said.

sasuke_91

And lastly, the game is pretty much the same as it was in Tekken 6 with minor tweaks. If people didn't get into the game then, they won't join the game now. I think it'd be smart to expect the community to be the same size as it is now. What really is there in the new game that would compel people to play T7 that wasn't in T6? The best thing you can do is just try to get people to play the game in your current scene with the game you have now that's TTT2.
The game being current gen and looking pretty damn good will be enough to attract new players. PS4 still sells extremely well, so a new Tekken for the best selling console will sell, won't it?

AAK

@Zero

There's no harm in having discussion, and you're free to voice your opinion too. I don't mind at all.

@Sasuke

Sure, but isn't that the same situation as Tekken 6? T6 was a brand new game and the first Tekken on the new hardware at the time which was the PS3/360. Hence I'm seeing the same result as T6.

The game being current gen and looking pretty damn good will be enough to attract new players. PS4 still sells extremely well, so a new Tekken for the best selling console will sell, won't it?

It all depends on marketing and word of mouth. If Tekken 7 comes out and with some bomb marketing and the console version has everything Tag 2 has PLUS tons of extra single player content and a good story mode, its really has a chance. It needs a marketing switch though.

Yo AAK can you do me a favor?

I'm glad someone finally said it. I'm in this camp. Like, way to go scaring people off giving Tekken a shot when it's already up against SF5. That's great.

If 'shitty online' and 'has some hitbox bugs' is enough to call it an incomplete buggy mess, then basically every fighting game is an incomplete buggy mess. And that's nonsense.

I don't want to argue with AAK either, but jeez. The unending hate campaign is pretty galling.

AAK

I'm not campaigning anything, it's a reasoning I gave someone in a Tekken thread to convince them to not expect a console release at all. If I wanted to actually campaign I'd be all over TZ, KTA, or even making my own articles on ATP. But I guess you guys are right that it is beginning to sound very preachy which is kinda childish of me. So I'll be careful how I voice things in the future.

I'm not campaigning anything, it's a reasoning I gave someone in a Tekken thread to convince them to not expect a console release at all. If I wanted to actually campaign I'd be all over TZ, KTA, or even making my own articles on ATP. But I guess you guys are right that it is beginning to sound very preachy which is kinda childish of me. So I'll be careful how I voice things in the future.

Thank you. Personally i would have thought Bamco would want to get T7 console out there fairly quickly this time, but it's starting to smell like it's going to take a while and we're getting (a possibly hastily made) SC6 in the interim --- much like last time.

So kudos on the spot on prediction.

MikeMyers

I'm glad someone finally said it. I'm in this camp. Like, way to go scaring people off giving Tekken a shot when it's already up against SF5. That's great.

If 'shitty online' and 'has some hitbox bugs' is enough to call it an incomplete buggy mess, then basically every fighting game is an incomplete buggy mess. And that's nonsense.

I don't want to argue with AAK either, but jeez. The unending hate campaign is pretty galling.

I think Sony is producing SF5, so it'd probably have better marketing than T7. :/

sasuke_91

@Sasuke

Sure, but isn't that the same situation as Tekken 6? T6 was a brand new game and the first Tekken on the new hardware at the time which was the PS3/360. Hence I'm seeing the same result as T6.

The PS3 didn't sell well at all at that time and Tekken has never been on an Xbox console before (the game still sells best one the PlayStation). I might be wrong though and it is indeed a similar situation.

It all depends on marketing and word of mouth. If Tekken 7 comes out and with some bomb marketing and the console version has everything Tag 2 has PLUS tons of extra single player content and a good story mode, its really has a chance. It needs a marketing switch though.

That's what it comes down to at the end of the day. I really hope Bamco can handle this.

I'm glad someone finally said it.

I'm glad it was said in a respectful manner this time. The last person that complained about AAK's negativity was really rude.
I can't say I disagree with AAK. I try to stay a little more positive and make the best of it though.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's cause the company sucks at 3D in general. It wont look like the concept art. It's going to look like Dracula X Chronicles. If you're okay with that, then cool but I don't trust them to produce anything of quality visually and I feel like a lot are.

This isn't the best place for it, but it started here, so...

Mqp8yqT.gif

That kind of looks like the concept art. And the Kickstarter still isn't even done; this is just the first playable build.

LowParry

The PS3 didn't sell well at all at that time and Tekken has never been on an Xbox console before (the game still sells best one the PlayStation). I might be wrong though and it is indeed a similar situation.

If you recall T6's history it was down to $20 in what, less than 2 months of release or something? T7 will cook in the arcades for a while. I expect T7 as a 2017 release. Unless someone knows numbers back when T6 started to today's number in arcades. Maybe 2016 but I think that's a far reach.

This isn't the best place for it, but it started here, so...

Mqp8yqT.gif

That kind of looks like the concept art. And the Kickstarter still isn't even done; this is just the first playable build.

Looks stiff like I expected it too. Keep bringing me updates though. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong about 2.5D but that is like a perfect example of everything I don't like.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Looks stiff like I expected it too. Keep bringing me updates though. I would be more than happy to be proven wrong about 2.5D but that is like a perfect example of everything I don't like.

Well dude, it's the first working prototype after like two weeks of work. The game has almost two years of scheduled development time ahead of it.

sasuke_91

I thought the PS3 was selling fine by 2009? Since that was around the time they made the silm model and cut the price.

I'm not entirely sure anynmore. I thought the PS3 didn't start to sell that well until 2010...

If you recall T6's history it was down to $20 in what, less than 2 months of release or something? T7 will cook in the arcades for a while. I expect T7 as a 2017 release. Unless someone knows numbers back when T6 started to today's number in arcades. Maybe 2016 but I think that's a far reach.

That would be 2 years from Official arcade release to console release. That's insane. I don't know about you guys, but I can't call a game competitive if Korean and Japanese players can play the game 2 years before it even sees the light of day anywhere else. Of course US/EU players will never win any major tournaments like that.

Good games GrayFoxPL. The person we played with was the one who kicked me out of the tournament^^

AAK

I'm pretty sure it's gonna get delayed to fall-holiday 2016.

Capcom only mentioned that they wanted a release before the fiscal year which ends at the beginning of April and it's intentionally vague IMO. It's not a solid release date which makes me anticipate an obvious delay.

Worry about Tekken 7's arcade update that Harada's claiming before even thinking about console release LOL.

Numb

It might be crazy to delay it to after EVO next year.
Tekken 7 console release seems like some sort of unheard thing to Harada and crew and i can understand that. But they don't have to do absolutely nothing during E3 season/EVO. Say utleast anything.

AAK

Hmmm, yeah, you're right. Capcom does take EVO pretty seriously so maybe they'll rush the game out before June/July then.

But about Namco... it's just business. If Namco even utters the word "console" they'll have the arcade operators breathing fire down their necks. And they're the guys who drop truckloads of money on Namco's doorstep daily.

Numb

Devs have started releasing fighting games at the start of the year between feb-may to prepare for all the fighting tournaments. Not Tekken though. Not Tekken.

Sayah

Well, KI and Skullgirls just don't have the funding to be making so many characters at once. I guess it's the same case with SFV. And probably the reason why we have time release with Tekken 7.

This Mega HD era is kind of scary in that sense.

AAK

As long as SFV doesn't have any copy and paste characters I think 16 characters is a fair amount. GGXrd is a game where every character had to be made from scratch had 15 with 2 being DLC. Even Tekken 3 only started with 10 characters before finishing with 18 after Time release. Tekken 4 also started with 10 characters and ended with 19 after time release.

But yeah, if SFV is just gonna copy and paste the characters from SFIV then yeah, garbage effort from their part.

I'm getting dejavu with this whole SFV, Tekken 7 thing. It is exactly like it was back in 2008/2009. Tekken 6 the original arcade version came out in late 2007, SFIV arcade came out late summer 2008, late 2008 BR got it's arcade release. SFIV released on consoles in March of 2009, and Tekken 6: BR finally hit consoles in November 2009.

It feels like literally the exact same thing is happening again.

AAK some animations are already copy and past in SFV. Just look at Bison's jump FP. Exact same crappy 4 frames of animation into him freezing in place like a statue for 1 second. There really is no excuse for that shit anymore but people will claim ascetics instead of laziness. This is Capcom and DIMPS. They are going to maximum profitability. I don't expect much from SFV but nothing will stop people from gobbling on its schlong. Not the lack of characters, stages, reused animations, bad gameplay mechanics, no updated character designs, nothing. I wanna barf when I go into a damn SFV thread.

Sayah

wtf ZTS? lol
Game is looking really GREAT. Even way better than before.

I guess you could try making an argument that you don't like the clay-model mannequin-type aesthetic of the characters but that still can't discount the vast level of graphical difference between SFIV and SFV. Even before these new images surfaced, I always thought the game looked really amazing. Will be interesting to see how much further they can take UE4.

I'm not even a big fan of SF gameplay and only play it for casual fun but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Have it pre-ordered so I can get access to the beta. :)

Edit: The expressions on character faces when getting hit is amazing. Loving all the detail.

aQwxdt3.jpg

Sayah

I don't know if it would be apt to say but the backgrounds look like a painting come to life and the character models look like sculptures come to life. It's a very beautiful combination.

wtf ZTS? lol
Game is looking really GREAT. Even way better than before.

I guess you could try making an argument that you don't like the clay-model mannequin-type aesthetic of the characters but that still can't discount the vast level of graphical difference between SFIV and SFV. Even before these new images surfaced, I always thought the game looked really amazing. Will be interesting to see how much further they can take UE4.

I'm not even a big fan of SF gameplay and only play it for casual fun but I'm really looking forward to playing this. Have it pre-ordered so I can get access to the beta. :)

Edit: The expressions on character faces when getting hit is amazing. Loving all the detail.

aQwxdt3.jpg

Those expression have been on characters faces since the PS2 era. SFIV always looked like a PS2 game. The game is ugly. Outside of the pretty much CG prerendered super start ups the game looks bad compared to ever single next gen game I've seen. The texturing, modeling, details, animation. It's all blah. Look at Nash' and Chun Li's hair. And people were talking shit about Tekken 7's hair.

I really have no idea how you can say that looks good. Outside of the lighting the models could easily have been done on last gen hardware.

LowParry

I swear to god people are blind. How can anybody think SFV looks good graphically? God it looks so BAD. Just look at this picture.

http://imgur.com/a/QYti4#4

Look at Bison's hand? It looks like it came out of Half-Life 1

http://imgur.com/a/QYti4#14

I believe you're following a trend that started with SF4. "OMG is looks so baaaaad" statements. Let the game cook for a while. I mean hell, we're getting all sorts of E3 goodies with the game at E3. Tekken 7 first impressions were pretty meh too. Game is shaping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom