• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Just saw the SFV screens. Backgrounds in Tekken 7 are way better. But man do the character models of SFV look way more impressive than T7.

Will wait to see how it animates. If everything is recycled from SFIV then it'll be the same disappointment that is T7. Personally SF's gameplay isn't for me, but I want to give it a fair shot. But the more characters from the SF2 series they announce the less interested I'll be. The more brand new characters
That aren't pandering trolly BS
the more intrigued I'll be.

. But man do the character models of SFV look way more impressive than T7.

How? Models clearly have worse texture, less polygons, lack of detail, fewer points of articulation. Everyone looks like a fucking plastic action figure. You can't give Tekken shit for its hair and then turn around and say SF's character models look great when their character's hair looks like a chunk of plastic.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/NC44601Alg.jpg

Ken and C. Viper Confirmed.

Come on man. Look at this Tekken 7 Jin model

http://cdn3.dual shockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Tekken7-2.jpg?5f8928 (remove the space between Dual and shockers the URL is getting censored for some reason)

Now look at Bison and Chun Li in the ACTUAL gameplay, not the prerendered supers and start ups.

http://imgur.com/a/QYti4#4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfrSKt5b-50

Trailer. Does look like a few reused animations. Perfect example, look when M. Bison does jump HP into c. MP scissors. That shit is identical to SF4. Also it's so fucking weird how the normal gameplay animations lack key frames but when someone body does like a throw or a super it looks better cause they took the time to do some decent animating. Just doesn't flow visually.

Like I said before, I'm not impressed and I'm not excited for this game. My hype couldn't be lower. I'm probably going to end up playing it casually like I do ever fighting game that gets played here in Upstate but I'll wait for someone to give me a copy of the game. Don't feel like buying it at all. Might preorder to play the beta then cancel though just to see how it feels.

AAK

You have to hold Tekken 7 to the same standard, when you look at the screens in gameplay it doesn't look as good as the intro's/win-poses:

tekken7-kazuya-vs-lucky-chloe-screenshot-mokujin-lifebar.png

T7 could have at least copied SF in the super aspect where they try to make them look extra good:

Tekken7610.jpg

Regardless, I'm not saying T7 looks bad, it looks solid, especially the backgrounds. But from the screens they've shown today SFV has that new game feel to it that makes it seem a lot more impressive where as T7 to me is just another incremental update to T6.

I can't tell what is or what isn't new from the trailer since I really ddin't play SFIV all that much but the hit animations look really good and brand new. It looks like they're trying to aboloish one of my biggest pet peeves which is clipping. Seeing Chun Li's stagger and stuns hit in conjunction with Ryu's fist looks really cool. i guess it is too early to see if it's a system wide change where everyone has these unique hit animations based on their character models or if it's canned for the entire cast. But again, at least it's something new.

You have to hold Tekken 7 to the same standard, when you look at the screens in gameplay it doesn't look as good as the intro's/win-poses:

tekken7-kazuya-vs-lucky-chloe-screenshot-mokujin-lifebar.png

T7 could have at least copied SF in the super aspect where they try to make them look extra good:

Tekken7610.jpg

Regardless, I'm not saying T7 looks bad, it looks solid, especially the backgrounds. But from the screens they've shown today SFV has that new game feel to it that makes it seem a lot more impressive where as T7 to me is just another incremental update to T6.

I can't tell what is or what isn't new from the trailer since I really ddin't play SFIV all that much but the hit animations look really good and brand new. It looks like they're trying to aboloish one of my biggest pet peeves which is clipping. Seeing Chun Li's stagger and stuns hit in conjunction with Ryu's fist looks really cool. i guess it is too early to see if it's a system wide change where everyone has these unique hit animations based on their character models or if it's canned for the entire cast. But again, at least it's something new.

There is no bullshop lighting and added effects with Tekken 7's intros. The characters are the characters. Tekken 7 looks way better than SFV so does Mortal Kombat X. From what I've seen watching a bunch of the new gameplay from SFV, the animations about half and half. Half old shit, half new shit. Which is fine. Good Animation ages well regardless. Snow White is still a masterpiece of animation and its quality is way better than any cartoon you see on TV today. If the animation is good and works, there really isn't a need to update it just for the sake of updating it.

Hold up though. Before I go away for the day. This is the shit I'm talking about with marketing though.

Where are Tekken 7's carefully chosen pictures to release that make the game look amazing graphically? Where are Tekken 7's quality produced trailers? It's all about the marketing. AAK is like "Holy Shit SFV" did you see the dub step and the water effects?" Boom marketing 101. "What do you mean it's the same animation? Didn't you see the flame on the end of his hand?" Sick!

AAK

Kind of goes hand in hand with what I've been saying about how the game should be able to do the marketing for you. The game itself should look a certain way so that when you see it you want to play it. People are getting hyped just by simply watching gameplay footage of the game without the trailer editing. A trailer can do a good job of introducing the characters and teasing what the future holds, but the actual game itself should also stimulate the audience in a certain way as well. Just seeing new things occur during core neutral gameplay can do marvels to market the game to the public. The TTT2 customs aren't helping either.

Chun Li's tumor legs always looked pretty disgusting to me

AZUMIKE

Both SFV and T7 seem to be easier to pick up. I'm excited for both games.

SFV is being marketed brilliantly though. The game is looks like a legit upgrade, and the attention to detail in the presentation is remarkable. Character models look amazing.

T7, while very exciting, needs to be demonstrated as such. Tekken has great core gameplay mechanics that don't need tweaking. T7 has done a great job maintaining the gamplay while tweaking it for newcomers. That said, the attention to detail in animation has room for improvement. In other words, T7 animations seem very similar to TTT2 ones, whereas SFV animations look a world above USFIV ones.

Also: Stages, Default Character Costumes, and Music haven't exactly been groundbreaking. Effort towards making those things stand out can help out games betterment.

Kind of goes hand in hand with what I've been saying about how the game should be able to do the marketing for you. The game itself should look a certain way so that when you see it you want to play it. People are getting hyped just by simply watching gameplay footage of the game without the trailer editing. A trailer can do a good job of introducing the characters and teasing what the future holds, but the actual game itself should also stimulate the audience in a certain way as well. Just seeing new things occur during core neutral gameplay can do marvels to market the game to the public. The TTT2 customs aren't helping either.

Chun Li's tumor legs always looked pretty disgusting to me

There is nothing exciting about any gameplay footage I've see from SFV. It looks like SFIV but a bit slower. There is nothing in the gameplay that makes you go OMG! Tekken 7's slow mo at the end of rounds is 10x cooler than anything I've see from SFV.

T7, while very exciting, needs to be demonstrated as such. Tekken has great core gameplay mechanics that don't need tweaking. T7 has done a great job maintaining the gamplay while tweaking it for newcomers. That said, the attention to detail in animation has room for improvement. In other words, T7 animations seem very similar to TTT2 ones, whereas SFV animations look a world above USFIV ones.

Completely unfair standard because SFIVs animations are animated 1/2 of what Tekken's are to begin with. Tekken's animations have been fully animated 60fps forever. They're done through modified motion capture where they motion capture a human being at 60fps then modify it afterwards, adding or removing frames to change the speed, making characters move in ways people normally wouldn't. Your basically criticizing Tekken and other 3D fighters for being so far ahead of the game. There is not much else they can do.

SF and other 2.5D games for some reason don't want to go fully animated 60fps so they do either 15fps, 24fps or 30fps. They do it to make it feel like old 2D sprites which were you know animated at those frame rates. Please do not confuse the FPS the game refreshes at which is 60 and the amount of animated frames per second which is far less for these 2D fighters.

Tekken 7 is just an another incremental update to Tekken 6?
JUgOiSR.png

Rose tinted glasses are OP in the gaming community. Such an early SFV release date given what we have seen so far has me worried. It will almost surely come out of the oven half baked. But at this point one has to wonder which is worse? Half baked with much patching down the road, or totally burnt like Tekken 7 will be if it ever comes home.

AAK

Let me explain my incremental update comment, I mean take any character in Tekken 6... say Lars. You have you general gameplan at staying at a certain range and poking with d/f+1's, 1,2 jabs, b+1's, d/f+2's and then you eventually make a correct read that leads into an arc blast or go yolo with a lightning screw, rinse and repeat. Extreme oversimplification but that's besides the point. Moving onto T7 that core gameplan with Lars hasn't changed. There isn't a mechanic change within the game that promotes you to try new things with that character. The power crush and rage arts from what we've seen in Korean/Japanese vids have very little utility. It's just a balance act which makes me feel like T7 is just the incremental update to T6 rather than a full blown sequel. His animations are 95% intact and his strategies remain intact.

I just saw this video of SFV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQpgsXSoKo

After watching that, even if SFV recycled all the animations from SFIV,the game will still play completely differently since a certain mechanic is gone and replaced with a very unique action for every character. This changes the way every character will play in a fundamental way. It's a massive tool that gives everyone so much room for discovery. That discovery is something that's really missing in Tekken 7 for anyone that's been playing T6/TTT2. even the non-mechanic changes to SFV appear more dramatic than T7's changes to SS & Oki.

AAK

Let me explain my incremental update comment, I mean take any character in Tekken 6... say Lars. You have you general gameplan at staying at a certain range and poking with d/f+1's, 1,2 jabs, b+1's, d/f+2's and then you eventually make a correct read that leads into an arc blast or go yolo with a lightning screw, rinse and repeat. Extreme oversimplification but that's besides the point. Moving onto T7 that core gameplan with Lars hasn't changed. There isn't a mechanic change within the game that promotes you to try new things with that character. The power crush and rage arts from what we've seen in Korean/Japanese vids have very little utility. It's just a balance act which makes me feel like T7 is just the incremental update to T6 rather than a full blown sequel. His animations are 95% intact and his strategies remain intact.

I just saw this video of SFV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEQpgsXSoKo

After watching that, even if SFV recycled all the animations from SFIV,the game will still play completely differently since a certain mechanic is gone and replaced with a very unique action for every character. This changes the way every character will play in a fundamental way. It's a massive tool that gives everyone so much room for discovery. That discovery is something that's really missing in Tekken 7 for anyone that's been playing T6/TTT2. even the non-mechanic changes to SFV appear more dramatic than T7's changes to SS & Oki.

Ryu hasn't changed the way he's played ever AAK. He always been a zoning footsie character. Never a rush down one. I don't see your argument. Guile has never been offensive, Bison's always been offensive. Chun Li has always poked with strong normals. Yun has always rushed down.

These characters aren't changing. They are staying exactly the same but the rules change slightly and whatever character works the best within the new set of rules ends up top tier. That's the Street Fighter formula.

Lars is Lars in Tekken 7 but he has to re think how he approaches things. His massive damage is gone. He only can get damage near the wall. His wall game has changed, b+1+2 no longer wall splats, he doesn't have any strong CH tools anymore. His lows have all been significantly nerfed since BR, he has to take a lot of risks to open you up. He changed from a meduim risk, high reward character, to a high risk medium reward character.

The changes happen in Tekken they are just harder to notice because there isn't big as fucking bar and a gigantic flash when something happens.

I can speak from personal experience with my character Lee. The way he's played has changed drastically over pretty much every version of the game. Closest to each other being Tag 2 Lee and Tekken 6 Lee but that character has drastically changed. So when you say stuff like this it really confuses me.

JUgOiSR.png

Rose tinted glasses are OP in the gaming community. Such an early SFV release date given what we have seen so far has me worried. It will almost surely come out of the oven half baked. But at this point one has to wonder which is worse? Half baked with much patching down the road, or totally burnt like Tekken 7 will be if it ever comes home.

Tekken 6 still looks good. Hard to believe that game was released in 2007.

AAK

Those are balance changes you mentioned for Lars, none of those are new mechanics are tools that change the way he's played. Yes Ryu is still a zoning character, but now he has new tools with which to zone. Bison now has a reflect projectile that is a completely brand new tool that he can use in so many matchups.

Tekken 7 doesn't give its cast new tools which other games's sequels do. The new tools that are there (armor/supers) are pretty much useless outside casual play.

EDIT: Just to mention so I don't look completely biased against the series: the tag button in TTT2 and the variance you can make off of tag assault is a huge mechanic that made TTT2 feel like an incredible sequel to T6.

Those are balance changes you mentioned for Lars, none of those are new mechanics are tools that change the way he's played. Yes Ryu is still a zoning character, but now he has new tools with which to zone. Bison now has a reflect projectile that is a completely brand new tool that he can use in so many matchups.

Tekken 7 doesn't give its cast new tools which other games's sequels do. The new tools that are there (armor/supers) are pretty much useless outside casual play.

EDIT: Just to mention so I don't look completely biased against the series: the tag button in TTT2 and the variance you can make off of tag assault is a huge mechanic that made TTT2 feel like an incredible sequel to T6.

There are bunch of mechanic changes in the game dude come on. You think the removal of bound doesn't change Lars? The fact that fb+21 now is a full launcher because of the mechanic change doesn't change match ups and make him a way better wiff punisher?

Let's do a few more. You don't think the fact Kazuya no longer has a standing mid launcher is a significant change to the way he plays? Or Devil Jin's Hellsweep tripping? Or Ling's BT throws being broken by either button? These don't change the characters and how they approach all their match ups? How about when they gave Marduk d/b+2? Or when they gave Feng f+34? Julia ff+3? When they gave Bruce b+2!! It happens all the time dude. It has happened forever.

Also the lack of a way to deal with fireballs for Bison was a broken part of his design. You are congratulating Capcom for finally fixing what should have never been a problem. Guile vs. Bison was 8-2 Guile because of that very reason.

AAK

The T6 bound property in T7 is just a new launcher property, not a new mechanic. It's a launcher that leaves the opponent in a particular position for you to begin your juggle. Just like how there's the crumple stun with stuff like Kazuya's CH d/f+2 or a launcher like Lars's CH d/b+4. Yes it's a big buff on the f,b+2,1 but in the end it's just that. It's a balance change. It's not a new mechanic to me.

The addition of a Sidestep and a tech-roll in Tekken 3 is a new mechanic. The tag button in TTT series is a new mechanic. The introduction of the wall/wall-push in Tekken 4 is a new mechanic. Tekken 7 did add something new with the armor properties and supers, but we can see the paltry affect these mechanics have on the neutral game.

Rheon

JUgOiSR.png

This doesn't really help the 'T7 is not an incremental update argument'. If anything, based on these screenshots, one would think T6 was the better looking game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
JUgOiSR.png

Honestly, there are still aspects to Tekken 6's graphics that I prefer to Tekken 7. I don't like how everything looks smoothed over in Tekken 7, especially with the character models. It makes the graphics look sterile. Look at LC's leggings and boots. They look like they're made of plastic.

lupinko

Honestly, there are still aspects to Tekken 6's graphics that I prefer to Tekken 7. I don't like how everything looks smoothed over in Tekken 7, especially with the character models. It makes the graphics look sterile. Look at LC's leggings and boots. They look like they're made of plastic.

That's the Unreal Engine in effect for the plastic look and awful hair.

Sayah

Street Fighter requires less work than Tekken. Tekken got significantly larger arenas, significantly more animations, and significantly greater quantity of mechanics. For that reason, it is moot to try to compare the two franchises like they're on equal footing. They're completely different on almost every level so comparing anything whether it's animations, graphics, mechanics, or whatever else makes absolutely no sense.

With that said, I would say ZTS that just like how you suggested AAK to stop trash talking Tekken 7, you should probably do the same for SFV.

They're both new entries in the longest running fighting game franchises and I want them both to do well. The healthier this genre is the better for me because most other genres don't interest me. I'm looking forward to SFV even though I have casual interest in the franchise. Development costs seem to be much higher now than they ever were before and I am just going to appreciate what I am getting instead of getting frustrated over what I'm not getting. It's better than having nothing.

Just my 2¢.

This kinda spiraled out of control so reader beware.

I just don't like the hypocrisy Sayah that's all. The game is whatever. It'll be fun I'm sure since it's the first version of a SF game AKA it's going to be broken as fuck. This scene just doesn't need more SF fuccbois that don't want to play anything but SF, suck it's dick, and shit on every other fighting game. That's what I get in every SF thread. Game is immune to criticism and it shouldn't be.

This is not the kind of FGC I want to be in. I'm so sick of this era of the FGC where your game is just second fiddle to the next SF update no matter the quality of it. There is no respect for anything. You guys will never understand what the FGC used to be like before 2009, I miss it so much.

Just look at FGCW. Everything that's not SF is just a joke to be made fun of. Tekken players have jobs HAHAAH, Marvel is DEAD so funny, Anime wiafus pillows, fuck Anime hehehe, Mortal Kombat, patches, bad animations hilarious. The same stupid played out jokes that aren't funny.

Dude I was talking with Mark about this while he was streaming Tekken 7 I'm having Deja Vu. Terrible terrible Deja Vu. It's 2009 all over again I'm about to watch another Tekken game never have a fucking chance to gain the support it needs to help the community grow because SFV is going to suck up all of the players. It's going to be everyone's secondary game AGAIN. No one is going to even give Tekken 7 a shot just like they never gave Tekken 6 a shot.

I don't want that again but it feels like a unshakable destiny. Tekken 7 doesn't even have a chance and neither does anything else. I can't wait another 3 year for another Tekken to try and break through. If Tekken 7 fails to reinvigorate community I'm done. I can't be in a community where the most boring game is the one everyone wants to play and put on a pedestal. I would literally rather play any other fighting game besides Street Fighter(excluding 3S).

A shame really but I feel like it's the case.

Tekken (7 in particular) now more then ever, needs your support. Fresh new start despite some grumpy old players. Just have to hope for an amazing package for consoles when it finally gets here.

Sayah

This kinda spiraled out of control so reader beware.

I just don't like the hypocrisy Sayah that's all. The game is whatever. It'll be fun I'm sure since it's the first version of a SF game AKA it's going to be broken as fuck. This scene just doesn't need more SF fuccbois that don't want to play anything but SF, suck it's dick, and shit on every other fighting game. That's what I get in every SF thread. Game is immune to criticism and it shouldn't be.

This is not the kind of FGC I want to be in. I'm so sick of this era of the FGC where your game is just second fiddle to the next SF update no matter the quality of it. There is no respect for anything. You guys will never understand what the FGC used to be like before 2009, I miss it so much.

Just look at FGCW. Everything that's not SF is just a joke to be made fun of. Tekken players have jobs HAHAAH, Marvel is DEAD so funny, Anime wiafus pillows, fuck Anime hehehe, Mortal Kombat, patches, bad animations hilarious. The same stupid played out jokes that aren't funny.

Dude I was talking with Mark about this while he was streaming Tekken 7 I'm having Deja Vu. Terrible terrible Deja Vu. It's 2009 all over again I'm about to watch another Tekken game never have a fucking chance to gain the support it needs to help the community grow because SFV is going to suck up all of the players. It's going to be everyone's secondary game AGAIN. No one is going to even give Tekken 7 a shot just like they never gave Tekken 6 a shot.

I don't want that again but it feels like a unshakable destiny. Tekken 7 doesn't even have a chance and neither does anything else. I can't wait another 3 year for another Tekken to try and break through. If Tekken 7 fails to reinvigorate community I'm done. I can't be in a community where the most boring game is the one everyone wants to play and put on a pedestal. I would literally rather play any other fighting game besides Street Fighter(excluding 3S).

Well, that's just how it is. Tekken had its time in the sun and isn't going to stay the "leader" forever. I don't see it getting back to the top or becoming more popular than SFV especially since I've never seen so much hate for an upcoming Tekken game before. Tekken 1 through to TTT2 were pretty hyped before release (I would think?). Even if Tekken 4 ended up having issues or some people didn't like bound in Tekken 6, those games still had a lot of anticipation behind them before release. Tekken 7 seems to be the first game in the franchise to have a lot of contempt behind it instead.

Also, to your point, it's unfortunately very true that there are people that will shit on non-Capcom fighting games regardless. I've seen enough of it on this site and elsewhere. But, at the same time, there are also a lot of people supporting a more inclusive community and are trying to provide greater integration for other franchises. Just stay positive and have fun. :)

I'm not much invested into the FGC. I don't attend tournaments like you do so maybe I don't understand the issues as well as you do but I think worrying about this is non-essential in the long run anyway. As long as you have a steady stream of players to fight against and Tekken continues to be successful enough to get future entries, you'll be fine. It doesn't need to be at the top. Eventually, Street Fighter fatigue might also settle in and some other franchise might become the best new thing. It's just a cycle.

If Tekken does go down the gutter, then find other things to like. :p I'll probably just be even less invested in gaming if that happens and move on to do more important, real life stuff, lol.

A shame really but I feel like it's the case.

Tekken (7 in particular) now more then ever, needs your support. Fresh new start despite some grumpy old players. Just have to hope for an amazing package for consoles when it finally gets here.

I think if this game completely flops, it is the end for this franchise. They are ending the Mishima saga anyway. Won't need to make any other title just to "finalize" the story. But at the same time, I don't think anyone should be "pity buying" this game whenever it does release.

HeelPower

So T7 pretty much skipping E3 or at least no big info dump to be expected.

ywvUxc6.png

Anyway,game is probably seriously far off from release.One reason could be avoiding SFV's release hype which,let's face it,would probably completely destroy T7's already weak anticipation.

But then that would mean spending two+years in the arcade and completely draining the game's life by the time it actually releases.

Sayah

Capcom really bummed me out last generation. I probably wouldn't even give SF5 the time of day, really.

They really did screw over a lot of people last gen. but I'm still excited for SFV. It's just looking too good to pass up. Unless they mess up like they did with SFXTK or repeat some other DLC/micro-transaction bullshit that is so common in this industry now, I will probably get SFV day one.

MKX has scratched that FG itch for the time being that I wasn't getting with TTT2 OR SCV back when I played them. T7 isn't looking too hot and I have no faith in SCVI so I might be jumping ship to SFV myself.

AZUMIKE

So T7 pretty much skipping E3 or at least no big info dump to be expected.

ywvUxc6.png

Sometimes I feel like this hurts Tekken's marketing. T7 is one of the tournament games this year...people will be watching...why not announce something hype? The game needs more presentation in the states. The character reveal trailers have only done so much.

As Wonkey stated, Tekken 7 requires an amazing package on console, which Bandai Namco is known to deliver. That incoming package just needs smart marketing.

I assume they'll have some announcements at EVO.

Some fool on Tekken Rev just called me 'braindead' .... after he lost 3-0 to my Kunimitsu gimmicks. Gyuk gyuk. =3

(And ggs Grayfox, not sure if you're reading. That was close~ )

AAK

If Tekken does go down the gutter, then find other things to like. :p I'll probably just be even less invested in gaming if that happens and move on to do more important, real life stuff, lol.

This probably is the smartest post I've read in a while LOL. I care too damn much right now about this videogame. If Namco stays on its current path and destroys this series then maybe it will relinquish this fixation I have on videogames and let me move on to other passions in life.

MKX has scratched that FG itch for the time being that I wasn't getting with TTT2 OR SCV back when I played them. T7 isn't looking too hot and I have no faith in SCVI so I might be jumping ship to SFV myself.

Out of curiousity, What makes you feel SFV will cater to you more than SC6? When you compare their previous forays into the genre: SFxT and SCV... I think SCV faired better. Why do you feel DIMPS can bounce back with SFV and not SC6?

sasuke_91

Some fool on Tekken Rev just called me 'braindead' .... after he lost 3-0 to my Kunimitsu gimmicks. Gyuk gyuk. =3

(And ggs Grayfox, not sure if you're reading. That was close~ )

Receiving hate mails is the most satisfying thing after you win.

And yeah GrayFoxPL is reading the thread. I'll play him in a minute, so if anyone wants to join, feel free :)

Welp now that a Tales game will be on PC, I don't think Namco has any other international brands left without a PC version, except Calibur and Tekken.

Harada pls.

AAK

T7 is one thing but Tag 2?

Guys, Namco didn't even bother porting the console Tag 2 to arcades! And you expect them to move it to their most hated console that's the PC?

Out of curiousity, What makes you feel SFV will cater to you more than SC6? When you compare their previous forays into the genre: SFxT and SCV... I think SCV faired better. Why do you feel DIMPS can bounce back with SFV and not SC6?

Well for one I'm just interested in playing SFV. Probably won't last long though. Namco patched SCV once and it ruined the game for me. They killed the movement and made characters like Viola straight up broken and then dropped support after a few cosmetic DLC dropped.

Then we get SCII online.....and the online straight up sucks. How do you go from SCV and TTT2 online and go to that?

Then Lost Swords and "Soul Calibur players care more about the story" line of thinking and they aren't exactly wrong. Its all about customization and guest characters. Like literally people did not buy SCIIonline because Link wasn't in it....like really? Even then Namco cut development time for SCV to cut out the more Story driven parts of game so people would bother to pick it up.

Namco just lost my good will on that side of things.

Numb

Good games to everyone. That was a nice and long session. Fun indeed with many different players too. Had a streak going but then lost and never won again. Damn. Maybe i'll try to hold on harder the next time i get a streak like that.

sasuke_91

Guys that was the coolest session I ever had :D

Good games SquirrelSoup. Your Jun is getting better everytime I fight her. Keep it up!
Good games Doomshine. As patient as ever. That Taunt Jet Upper you pulled out sometimes was freakin' cool!
Good games Numb! The moment I leave you get a 10-win streak. If it weren't for Doom we'd probably still try to beat you :p
Good games GrayFoxPL. That stuff you did with Raven today was so cool. Beating us all up just like that. Also, those shredders and death fists... no mercy from you :D
You won't read this, but good games CloudSyler. Very solid Jin/Lee player. Patient, nice execution and good character knowledge. She's even better Offline!

HeelPower

Sometimes I feel like this hurts Tekken's marketing. T7 is one of the tournament games this year...people will be watching...why not announce something hype? The game needs more presentation in the states. The character reveal trailers have only done so much.

As Wonkey stated, Tekken 7 requires an amazing package on console, which Bandai Namco is know to deliver. That incoming package just needs smart marketing.

So far T7's marketing is just shit.

They really need to stop acting like Tekken 7 is some niche game "not suited" for E3 reveals and actual mainstream hype.

If T7 sells terrible(and it likely will) I have no one to blame but their marketing.

EVO appearance is cool ,but its not enough to actually promote the game to the general public.

They really need to stop acting like Tekken 7 is some niche game "not suited" for E3 reveals and actual mainstream hype.

If T7 sells terrible(and it likely will) I have no one to blame but their marketing.

EVO appearance is cool ,but its not enough to actually promote the game to the general public.

I heard from someone who used to work at Namco at StrongStyle that pretty much Namco looks at the marketing in segments. Like "This is the arcade marketing. Nothing but arcade marketing. We are not marketing to console yet" and they only focus on that until it's done then no more arcade marketing. Then they go "Ok now it's console Marketing, only focus on the console marketing" and then once that's done it's "Ok now onto the next title. No marketing, no support for that title it's out" They seem very narrow minded and not aware of the global marketing aspect.

HeelPower

I heard from someone who used to work at Namco at StrongStyle that pretty much Namco looks at the marketing in segments. Like "This is the arcade marketing. Nothing but arcade marketing. We are not marketing to console yet" and they only focus on that until it's done then no more arcade marketing. Then they go "Ok now it's console Marketing, only focus on the console marketing" and then once that's done it's "Ok now onto the next title. No marketing, no support for that title it's out" They seem very narrow minded and not aware of the global marketing aspect.

I used to think that is a good explanation ,but then why are they showing the game off only to the FGC scene((in the west) and not anywhere else ?

I doubt they can keep the steam going once EVO is over.They need to capitalize on whatever the tourney generates ,but they also need to look outside the niche FGC market for sales.

A nice meaty trailer at Sony's E3 conference would seem like a good idea.

Sayah

Yeah, maybe in 1995, this approach would have worked but it's a terrible way of marketing in today's day and age. You can't release a game in one country and not expect the rest of the world to know about it.

Funny thing is, they have sort of marketed the game in North America with an EVO reveal and with subsequent availability of the game in North American tournaments. Yet they still continue to keep the majority of the new info, new trailers, etc. limited exclusively to Japan/South Korea.

From Namco's perspective, I guess announcing an E3 presence would also require them to announce console release and they probably don't want to do that while the arcade version is just freshly off the ground.

This probably is the smartest post I've read in a while LOL. I care too damn much right now about this videogame. If Namco stays on its current path and destroys this series then maybe it will relinquish this fixation I have on videogames and let me move on to other passions in life.

Yeah, across all Tekken titles, I've literally spent thousands of hours playing. I often imagine what else I could have done with that time like learning computer programming or doing something more productive.

AZUMIKE

Yes, this is Tekken we're talking about. A monumental title that has gotten increasingly niche since T6.

I think part of the problem is that Bandai Namco simply isn't ready to present Tekken 7 to the mainstream audience. At this juncture, they'd rather keep the game in the arcades. When they've made enough revisions to the game (and presumably enough money in the arcade ), then they'll look to make it for console. That is when the "real" marketing will begin, as was stated before. The issue is that releasing something like Tekken 7 ZR takes a considerable amount of time.

Tekken has suffered a bit of a drought. It was nice that Tekken 7 was announced last year, but it seems like its still a long way off from console. Its as if T7 is in beta right now. Street Fighter V, which was also announced last year, is coming to console in March IIRC. Not to mention the U.S media have now played SFV. Have they played T7? Not yet, cause no one has any idea when the console version will drop.

With all the blockbusters lined up for 2016, Bandai Namco really has to convince the public to look out for T7, in spite of all the competition (video games in general, not just fighting games). A hype announcement at E3 or EVO could definitely help.

AAK

You can do all the marketing in the world for a videogame, but if the core game isn't something the public wants, then it won't lead anywhere.

There is no marketing because there really isn't anything to market other than new characters like Kazumi, Katarina, Claudio, Shaheen, etc. They need to fix and add to the game to show the world and saying "Hey you might have skipped out on Tekken these past few years, but look at ****, *****, and **** mechanics that we added to bring you back in." Right now all they can market is "We took out tag mode, wakeup options, and step guarding... Please buy our game". Not gonna work. Let's just see what ever T7:BR brings to the table and hope it's something they can market.

Sayah

You can do all the marketing in the world for a videogame, but if the core game isn't something the public wants, then it won't lead anywhere.

There is no marketing because there really isn't anything to market other than new characters like Kazumi, Katarina, Claudio, Shaheen, etc. They need to fix and add to the game to show the world and saying "Hey you might have skipped out on Tekken these past few years, but look at ****, *****, and **** mechanics that we added to bring you back in." Right now all they can market is "We took out tag mode, wakeup options, and step guarding... Please buy our game". Not gonna work. Let's just see what ever T7:BR brings to the table and hope it's something they can market.

I don't think casual players even care for new mechanics. There's a lot of great ways to build hype behind a title. Showcase that slow mo, them powerful hits, those sparks, etc. Combine these gifs and make a trailer or something for E3.

Tekken-7-gif-6.gif

tumblr_noxy66mzuz1scncwdo2_r1_500.gif

At this point in time, Namco can't even upload good quality videos on their Youtube and they are compressing terribly. In contrast, you have an everyday player like Kane showing some actual quality on his channel. Even when Namco decided to reveal this game, it was all on 240p Niconico mess and stayed that way for awhile. That's not good marketing for your game at all.

HeelPower

Like many JP franchises,Tekken experienced a decline with its latest entry.

BUT Tekken is still one of the most recognizable and iconic franchises in gaming.

This is the start of a new Generation ,and its a good thing that the PS4 has good momentum(PS is the home of Tekken)

Its a golden opportunity to grab everyone's attention back to Tekken.

HARADA please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom