• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeelPower

DEATH™;167606610 said:
It's obvious now that you haven't experience or even payed attention to a high-level or even a mid-high-level tekken match and basing your wishes on a short uninformed experience (probably online). You are wanting a game where you can just go play and brawl, which is fine if you want a type of game like that, but please do consider the things you wish for, because the future of tekken comes from your wishes, not us who loved tekken and play it out of loving loyalty because of the deep aspects it provides...

Honestly,you still didn't understand what I was trying to saying.(I won't explain again)

Second,I've played watched and discussed (both online and offline)Tekken intensely for at least five years,attended tournaments in various countries and I know exactly what I am talking about.

You've no right to take away that away from due to your poor comprehension of my post.I am just as dedicated to this game as you are (probably more so)

I was actually going to say something like this awhile back. The anticipation and vibe for Tekken 7 right now isn't quite where it should be unfortunately, especially when compared to SF5 or MKX and if Tekken 7 stays in the arcades for 2 years again, I doubt that will do it any favors and potentially hurt the series even further. The rumored update can definitely improve and even revitalize the game in a sense, but that could push the game back even further. The reason I say this is because after watching it on Youtube/online, reading about all of the characters, seeing high level and low level gameplay repeatedly for such a elongated period of time, wouldn't the element of surprise and discovery rate be significantly lowered by the time it comes out at home for players who keep up with Tekken on a regular basis? Unless of course they pack the home version with a plethora of noteworthy extras or something to reinvigorate the game. I guess we will have to see.

welp.

Yeah T7 is looking like late 2016 at the earliest.

qBDEDIu.png

Did you not think I was serious with the Bruce? It felt like at the start you thought I was disrespecting you. My Bruce is real. BTW you are hella the best player on GAF still.

Sayah

Oh nah. That best player is you or AAK now. I've fallen behind. :p

I am not a patient person and Tekken just requires patience a lot of the time instead of complete rushdown. And your Bruce is great. No complaints there. But Lee is even more ferocious.

I actually hope MarkMan has read my posts and questions the developers about this. Ask them why a game that's entire premise is based on an Iron Fist tournament has six out of nine of its female characters as either teenage girls (Lili, Askua, Josie, Lucky Chloe, XIaoyu) or a robot that exhibits teenage behavior (Alisa). We're left with Katarina, Leo, and Kazumi, one of which is already looking way younger than what her actual age should have been. Why don't we have an old or fat or black female character? So sad.

I hope he doesn't. If you're looking for 'realism' or whatever you chose the wrong game, man. I've seen some threatening 16 year old kickboxers. True, they don't look like Josie, but i've rarely seen MMA fighters look like Claudio either. Or like Bob. Who'd main some fat old lady character? Like really? Why is that better or more realistic than young fighters for an 'iron fist' tournament as you keep bringing up?

I'd definitely bet on the 16 year olds over the geriatrics to be honest. And over the robots and devils because i've not seen them show up in the dojo.

And if it's variety you truly want, please jockey to have one of Jin/Lars or Kazuya/Heihachi or Shaheen/Claudio removed instead for your fat black lady =D

--
We should play some more, Sayah. The lag was there but it was manageable. And i'm still pissed i was bad enough for you to just troll me the whole time. I want to fix it.

Pachimari

I also think I'm gonna give up on arcade stick. After all this time I don't think it is for me either.

Also Lucky Chloe is a fantastic addition to the roster.

AAK

The best player on GAF is unanimously av2k. He's on a completely different different level. His play feels just as oppressive as when I got to play against KOR and GM.

I actually hope MarkMan has read my posts and questions the developers about this. Ask them why a game that's entire premise is based on an Iron Fist tournament has six out of nine of its female characters as either teenage girls (Lili, Askua, Josie, Lucky Chloe, XIaoyu) or a robot that exhibits teenage behavior (Alisa). We're left with Katarina, Leo, and Kazumi, one of which is already looking way younger than what her actual age should have been. Why don't we have an old or fat or black female character? So sad.

I honestly think it's because of demand, popularity and cultural preferences. Young girls are really popular in Japan/Asia and unfortunately it seems like mature women are not considered desirable for whatever reason. Just look at anime and JRPG's for glaring examples at youth dominance. Seems like this translates to video games also. Sure, there are mature women represented occasionally, but in actuality it is generally populated by really young females in the abundance. I guess it's the same way most Western gamers typically love to play muscular, strong, beefcake, hyper-masculine, steroid-junkie male characters who are ruthless and macho primarily over females, effeminate or smaller men. Catering to the masses I suppose.

HeelPower

btw @AAK I just realized something.

I believe we met once at a really early TT2 tournament @foonzo's in montreal with Rami and co ?

I am really slow ,but I your name just clicked with me.You play Jaycee and Hwo right?(or used to at the time)

AAK

What the heck??? Yes I was there LOL. I recognized most of the people there like Adam, Matthew, Rami, Renato, that anime guy (I think his name was JF) etc. Were you the Julia/Anna player? I occasionally go to Montreal and play at Rami's place where he invites other guys. You should join the Tekken Canada facebook group so you'll know the next time we go there.

AAK

Common, you can't call someone who beat Help Me and (technically beat) Ao (if he didn't drop the game winning combo) in tournament and say they're not that good. And it's not like it was a fraud win with simple characters like Bob/Lars/Jinpachi. He did it with Mishima's that need solid execution.

Common, you can't call someone who beat Help Me and (technically beat) Ao (if he didn't drop the game winning combo) in tournament and say they're not that good. And it's not like it was a fraud win with simple characters like Bob/Lars/Jinpachi. He did it with Mishima's that need solid execution.

He's not that good. Beating a good player once or twice doesn't make you on GM or KORs level. If what you are saying is true SubtL is on GM and KORs level cause he bet HoleMan at EVO in pools. Winning consistently at major tournaments and against top players makes you "that good". By your logic as well "Don Frye" a player who never plays this game in Upstate most be on KOR's level cause he beat him 3-0 in a tournament once with Ogre/Jinpachi. Beating someone in a tournament once ESPECIALLY in Tag 2 doesn't mean that much.

Let me then state. AV is not bad. He's a very good player. He is totally not GM or KOR level. EVO potential winner level. Also Sayah would probably beat him if they played.

AAK

Pretty sure it was EBM who beat Holeman at EVO not Subt-L. And yes EBM is one of the US's best players.

And going by the only win once rule... wouldn't that put Anakin, KOR, and GM also in that same category? Didn't KOR only ever win against the Koreans that first MLG? Didn't GM also only win against Koreans in the second MLG before losing to Holeman? And Anakin only ever beat the Koreans in the final MLG at DC? Only player I can think of that beat Koreans in multiple occasions was Fab beating Rain on multiple occasions and being the only American to advance when they went to Tekken Crash.

EDIT: And let me also say this, when I met KOR in Toronto (you were there too ZTS but not on day 2) He did tell me that AV and him go back and forth when they play. He is also the training partner of both KOR and Crow, 2 EVO champions, which is also a testament to his skill.

Pretty sure it was EBM who beat Holeman at EVO not Subt-L. And yes EBM is one of the US's best players.

And going by the only win once rule... wouldn't that put Anakin, KOR, and GM also in that same category? Didn't KOR only ever win against the Koreans that first MLG? Didn't GM also only win against Koreans in the second MLG before losing to Holeman? And Anakin only ever beat the Koreans in the final MLG at DC? Only player I can think of that beat Koreans in multiple occasions was Fab beating Rain on multiple occasions and being the only American to advance when they went to Tekken Crash.

Dude it was SubtL I was THERE at EVO that year. SubtL walked up to me and told me he beat Holeman. EBM played Bryan in Tekken 6 not Eddy.

Stop strawmaning my arguments. This has nothing to do with "Koreans". But you are making my point for me. Yes those players are NOT on the Koreans level. They beat them once. GM beat Knee ONCE and he beat Nin ONCE and then lost every other time. I beat J13MoonAce form Korea ONCE.

But the level we are talking about is not the level of a Korean we are talking about KOR and GM level which means almost never missed Top 8 at majors and consistently wins major tournaments. AV is not on that level. So stop.. Even beating players ever single time you play them doesn't mean that.

Do you know how many times I've beaten OFDP? So many it's uncountable. But I don't have the level of success he has had in this game. I'm not on his level. He will always get Top 8 when he goes to tournaments. I wont.

Beating players once or twice in tournament does not = you are on their level. End of story. I'm sure when AV comes in here he will say the same thing. AV knows he's not that kind of player.

Let's concentrate on what's way more important though. We need to have a NeoGAF Tekken tournament.

AAK

How consistent art you in beating OFdP, if there is an advantage in win-counts in your favor then you are of equal skill.

If AV can go back and forth between KOR and Crow then it shows in his skill. About top 8 placings and such, if AV traveled as much as those guys did who's to say the amount of placings wouldn't be higher?

And sorry, I was thinking of MLG, not EVO. But EBM definitely did play Eddy in T6.

In the end the comment is of who the best player on GAF is. I still unconditionally think it's AV.

Sayah

I hope he doesn't. If you're looking for 'realism' or whatever you chose the wrong game, man. I've seen some threatening 16 year old kickboxers. True, they don't look like Josie, but i've rarely seen MMA fighters look like Claudio either. Or like Bob. Who'd main some fat old lady character? Like really? Why is that better or more realistic than young fighters for an 'iron fist' tournament as you keep bringing up?

I'd definitely bet on the 16 year olds over the geriatrics to be honest. And over the robots and devils because i've not seen them show up in the dojo.

And if it's variety you truly want, please jockey to have one of Jin/Lars or Kazuya/Heihachi or Shaheen/Claudio removed instead for your fat black lady =D

--
We should play some more, Sayah. The lag was there but it was manageable. And i'm still pissed i was bad enough for you to just troll me the whole time. I want to fix it.
Let me say again, I really don't care about a male-female split. A game could be entirely male and still have an extremely diverse and interesting cast.

I'm not going to tell the Skullgirls development team to make sure they keep Big Band for a sequel because there's not enough males in the cast. "Remove those other female characters instead if they have to." That's not the heart of the issue. What I'm saying is that we have a female cast in Tekken 7 but it's not diverse. That's the issue. If Skullgirls suddenly had four male characters and they all had homogenous personalities and traits, THEN I would ask the Skullgirls team to be more diverse with their cast.

And as I said, I would have entirely the same reaction if Tekken suddenly had six male teenagers. Or six different variations of Shin Kamiya
*shudders

I don't care for characters like Bob either because the design is terrible and not because he's fat. A lot of fat people live healthy and fulfilling lives. Being fat =/= being physically unfit. Look at all the sumo players, for example.

Edit: And yes, I can play more TTT2 matches. My intention is not to disrespect or troll anyone so sorry if you feel that way. I often like to mess around with secondary teams just for fun even though I'm not good with most non-Williams teams.

I honestly think it's because of demand, popularity and preferences. Young girls are really popular in Japan/Asia and unfortunately it seems like mature women are not considered desirable for whatever reason. Just look at anime and JRPG's for glaring examples at youth dominance. Seems like this translates to video games also. Sure, there are mature women represented occasionally, but in actuality it is generally populated by really young females in the abundance. I guess it's the same way most Western gamers typically love to play muscular, strong, beefcake, hyper-masculine, steroid-junkie male characters who are ruthless and macho primarily over females, effeminate or smaller men. Catering to the masses I suppose.

I guess it is just part of the culture. :/

How consistent art you in beating OFdP, if there is an advantage in win-counts in your favor then you are of equal skill.

If AV can go back and forth between KOR and Crow then it shows in his skill. About top 8 placings and such, if AV traveled as much as those guys did who's to say the amount of placings wouldn't be higher?

And sorry, I was thinking of MLG, not EVO. But EBM definitely did play Eddy in T6.

In the end the comment is of who the best player on GAF is. I still unconditionally think it's AV.

That is not how it works AAK. If you know someones tendencies because you play against them all the time it doesn't mean anything in comparison to how good you are to them. There were tales of a Blanka player at Taito Station that Daigo could never ever beat. He would beat Daigo like 10-0 and laugh but he's not a great SF player. He just had Diago's number. Just like FChamp. FChamp isn't a better SF player than Daigo, not by a long shot, but he knows that match up inside and out so he wins it.

Also who's the best player in America right now? Inkognito? I'm 2-0 against InKog in tournaments. Must mean I'm as good as the best player in America. Flawed logic.

Edit: And yes, I can play more TTT2 matches. My intention is not to disrespect or troll anyone so sorry if you feel that way. I often like to mess around with secondary teams just for fun even though I'm not good with most non-Williams teams.

Oh no, don't feel bad. If i can't force you to play in serious mode that's all on me. And i know i need a bunch of work to get gud.

AAK

Trust me ZTS, just play AVKazama. You'll see how good he is. I'll leave it at that.

His PSN is av2k I believe.

Sayah

Didn't av2k post previously saying he doesn't have his PS3 anymore? It was either him or someone else.

Anyway, I never played against av2k and never watched him play either (to my knowledge) so I can't say much on the matter.

Oh no, don't feel bad. If i can't force you to play in serious mode that's all on me. And i know i need a bunch of work to get gud.

Let's play after E3 is over.

I might be watching Money in the Bank tonight.

HeelPower

What the heck??? Yes I was there LOL. I recognized most of the people there like Adam, Matthew, Rami, Renato, that anime guy (I think his name was JF) etc. Were you the Julia/Anna player? I occasionally go to Montreal and play at Rami's place where he invites other guys. You should join the Tekken Canada facebook group so you'll know the next time we go there.

Pretty cool :)

My memory seems to be better than I thought lol.

I used to meet Rami and the others every other week ,but that kinda died down as TT2 got older.

Anyway that should be be really fun once T7 hits.At least I know we'll have good connections when/if we play online and we could potentially meet offline!

AAK

^^^
You should really hit up Rami because it always seems like he's up for games in TTT2. He is also someone who doesn't want TTT2 to die after seeing the lack of innovation in T7. The two guys I know who are the most conrsistent are Rami and Sam in the Montreal scene. I'm sure you can get some local games with them. I definitely will try to make the 3 hour journey to Rami's place for another session sometime but not within these next 5 weeks because of Ramadan.

Just saw this tournament footage from Japan. Paul doing his thing.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
GGS AAK, man I can't wait to go back to 1v1. It may sound silly, but having to remember two sets of publishers gets hectic in tense moments.

The amount of times I respond to -12 with Devil Jin as lead with f2,4 thinking I'm Lars. Vice versa, I accidentally slip up with b1 as Lars thinking I'm Devil Jin.

Yeah, 1v1.

AAK

Brothers... don't hate the game for not using one of it's features....TTT2 has a solo mode you people!!! Use it and Love it!!!!! :D

Trust me ZTS, just play AVKazama. You'll see how good he is. I'll leave it at that.

His PSN is av2k I believe.

I didn't say he wasn't good. I know how good he is. I would be happy to play him but it's not about who's better me or him so I don't think that means anything.

BTW AAK I like you buddy so I don't want to argue with you. Let's put this to rest.

Degen

I'm down for a "solo only" lobby

I took some no-reason vacation days at work so I'm gonna end up bored at home eventually

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
If we are talking about beating Koreans then even I beat them in tournament ;)

Haha, I love how you phrased that X'D BTW thank you for the awesome work you do bro.

Honestly, one of the things I'm hyped for the most in T7 is the reduced roster. Much smaller pool of moves to remember and fight against. It also seems like the move lists are getting shorter for the new characters which might make it easier to fight against.

Also in regards to the screw system, combos might seem even easier now, I actually want to play as multiple characters again (solo of course)
Jin, DJ, Lars, maybe Claudio and Shaheen.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Koreans living in the US do not count as Koreans :p
Just kidding. GAF has a lot of great Tekken players.

^_^ I was talking about real Koreans.

https://youtu.be/jA7l6afir4U?t=8m50s

It was a team tournament (we got 2nd overall) and I went up against Korea's strongest Devil Jin (at the time) during TEKKEN 6.

The following year I beat HoleMan (who was considered one of the best in Korea) in the team tournament as well (but my team lost the series).

You are allowed to go solo in Fingers To Fight Tekken Online Tournaments. It is a shameless plug I know, but no one can say I am not supporting Tekken in this phase between versions. Anyways, to spark up Tekken 7 discussions. I have been thinking of an easy route they could take to change things up.

What hit me is Guard Damage. Why has it been an option in most if not all major releases of Tekken? I am not saying we should activate it and play with it on as it grants guard damage to all attacks. My local arcade scene tried that in Tekken 5 DR and while fun for a while it turned out to be bit too strong for some characters (Bryan's b+1~2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,4 did like 30 damage on block, lol).

However, I bring it up because as cool as slow motion KO's are they are rather rare. What better way to increase them than if certain moves were granted guard damage. An easy way for the Tekken Project to stir interest for both casual and hardcore audiences.

AAK

9p you definitely have been supporting the game for a long time. One suggestion I have is to make closed tournaments to newer players to reward them for levelling up rather than paying Mak/PL each week :p I would participate but I'm busy on Thursday evenings.

About chipp damage, I never liked it to be honest. One thing I wouldn't mind seeing implemented is something akin to Guilty Gear's R.I.S.C. system.

9p you definitely have been supporting the game for a long time. One suggestion I have is to make closed tournaments to newer players to reward them for levelling up rather than paying Mak/PL each week :p I would participate but I'm busy on Thursday evenings.

About chipp damage, I never liked it to be honest. One thing I wouldn't mind seeing implemented is something akin to Guilty Gear's R.I.S.C. system.
Beginner level tournaments are an idea I have definitely thought about. The problem being that figuring out who can participate and who can't is ultimately impossible. Good, because I have moved the tournaments to Saturdays at 6PM Eastern, so no more excuses. http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/

That Guilty Gear system sounds complicated. Given the new spin animation, I wouldn't be against Street Fighter style dizzies. A stamina gauge would also be cool to grant movement fans their wish for a movement heavy Tekken without being stupidly over powered like it has been. I dunno, I really think the Tekken 7 update should have at least one new system mechanic. We have few enough characters now that a major system mechanic can freshen the air.

HeelPower

Why is the TEKKEN Project making garbage like Summer lesson ? For...VR ?

Does that have anything to do with that Team's expertise ?

At least Pokken made tons more sense ,but this a waste of that team's time.

You can see T7 is suffering for it anyway.

^^^
You should really hit up Rami because it always seems like he's up for games in TTT2. He is also someone who doesn't want TTT2 to die after seeing the lack of innovation in T7. The two guys I know who are the most conrsistent are Rami and Sam in the Montreal scene. I'm sure you can get some local games with them. I definitely will try to make the 3 hour journey to Rami's place for another session sometime but not within these next 5 weeks because of Ramadan.

I really hope we can play online once T7 hits.It should be really fun to be an active part of Tekken GAF at launch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom