• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Well, this has been a fun E3 so far. I have never played FFVII or any of the Shenume games and think the Last Guardian looks kind of rough but it's nice to see so much excitement and I'm happy that other people are happy. :)

Nintendo gonna have a hard time topping this Sony conference.

idolmaster-harada.jpg

Harada probably wants to just do other stuff sometimes. He's been on the same franchise for 20 years now/

It's hard to stop when your waifu wants you back.

CHHwZZTVIAAXnCS.png

AAK

I know I'll never play FF7 since I can't enjoy turn based games, i know I'll never play Shenmue 3 because I prefer focused games rather than games that try to do everything. But Horizon was my favorite thing revealed this E3. I'm a huge sucker for a Post Apocalyptic action adventure. Mirror's Edge 2 also looked really sick, but Horizon was the game that made me hype the most.

I'm avoiding anything with MGSV because I already know I'm going to play it. Not gonna spoil myself.

EDIT:

Not sure what it'll be but, Gamespot has a presentation tomorrow at 3:20 EST for an unannounced Namco game. Most signs point to Dark Souls 3, but maybe we can hope for an SC6?

AAK

I gave the game chance. I put in like 3 hours into it back in 99 before I had enough and closed it. I put in a lot more time to FF8 because the art style was infinitely more appealing. But even that game I had to put down because I couldn't take the taking turns aspect anymore.

I gave the game chance. I put in like 3 hours into it back in 99 before I had enough and closed it. I put in a lot more time to FF8 because the art style was infinitely more appealing. But even that game I had to put down because I couldn't take the taking turns aspect anymore.

Did you even Midgar? Bruh.

AAK

I skipped out on ff9 and ffx because it had the same core gameplay aspect of the others... BUT I found FFXII for $10 back in 2011. I decided to try it out and I actually manged to finish it. The abiliity to move and do everything in real time with no enemy battle transitions made the turn based gameplay soooo much more bearable. FFXII is the only game in the series I could tolerate enough to finish the story.

Skipped the FFXIII series because of all the warnings from everyone. Was super excited for Versus after seeing this trailer. But that action oriented vision looks long gone. Don't see myself playing the neutered FFXV until it goes cheap.

EDIT: to get back on topic. Brosie's ws+2,1crushes some mids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJDMEQV_LPc&feature=youtu.be&t=26m32s

But I suppose it's another situation of Tekken hitboxes.

Doomshine

Had the opposite response, FF7 was the first game I marathoned, 10 hour sessions were not uncommon for me back then.

Been watching some Gigas matches and it seems the best combo in terms of damage from his hammerfist launcher is the bodysplash into Marduk getup punch, rather than a normal tailspin combo.

EDIT: to get back on topic. Brosie's ws+2,1crushes some mids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJDMEQV_LPc&feature=youtu.be&t=26m32s

But I suppose it's another situation of Tekken hitboxes.
EDIT: I've had b+2 crushed a bunch of times TTT2, I think it's just one of those moves susceptible to that.

Sayah

I agree with you all. Horizon is definitely the most interesting for me from this E3. Though, I really wish I had Xbox One to be hyped for the new Tomb Raider and surprisingly Gears of War 4. I didn't care for Gears as an IP before but the demo of the new game really showed some great atmosphere. Not sure if I'll get an Xbone down the line now. If they announce Tales of Vesperia in their BC catalog, I might just have to bite.

I know I'll never play FF7 since I can't enjoy turn based games, i know I'll never play Shenmue 3 because I prefer focused games rather than games that try to do everything. But Horizon was my favorite thing revealed this E3. I'm a huge sucker for a Post Apocalyptic action adventure. Mirror's Edge 2 also looked really sick, but Horizon was the game that made me hype the most.

I'm avoiding anything with MGSV because I already know I'm going to play it. Not gonna spoil myself.

EDIT:

Not sure what it'll be but, Gamespot has a presentation tomorrow at 3:20 EST for an unannounced Namco game. Most signs point to Dark Souls 3, but maybe we can hope for an SC6?

Maybe you should try Valkyria Chronicles. It's cheap on Steam and also on PS3. It has real-time combat and is really amazing fun. A lot of great strategy, team building, and excellent narrative.

EDIT:

Dark Souls 3 already announced at Microsoft conference. I have hope for SCVI now. :) :) :) :) :)

You kids and your never playing FFVII.

I was more a N64 guy back then and the PlayStation machine was all about Tekken 3.

Sayah

AAK

I agree with you all. Horizon is definitely the most interesting for me from this E3. Though, I really wish I had Xbox One to be hyped for the new Tomb Raider and surprisingly Gears of War 4. I didn't care for Gears as an IP before but the demo of the new game really showed some great atmosphere. Not sure if I'll get an Xbone down the line now. If they announce Tales of Vesperia in their BC catalog, I might just have to bite.

TR will come to PS4 later on. One of the games I'm just gonna wait for the GOTY edition for along with Batman Arkham Knight.

Dark Souls 3 already announced at Microsoft conference. I have hope for SCVI now. :) :) :) :) :)

The list was made before DS3 was announced at the MS conference. They never updated it... and looking at the effort Namco put into advertising DS3 at e3, it's most probably going to be DS3. There is no other time slot for Namco to place DS3 assuming SC6 is supposed to be there. Hence it's over.

All the E3 reveals will be done by the end of today. After that there will no longer be any reveals, just companies demoing their games to the press. So if no SC6 announcement by today don't expect it all this e3.

Sayah

The list was made before DS3 was announced at the MS conference. They never updated it... and looking at the effort Namco put into advertising DS3 at e3, it's most probably going to be DS3. There is no other time slot for Namco to place DS3 assuming SC6 is supposed to be there. Hence it's over.

All the E3 reveals will be done by the end of today. After that there will no longer be any reveals, just companies demoing their games to the press. So if no SC6 announcement by today don't expect it all this e3.

Don't speak so soon. You might end up being wrong. :p

AAK

Another thing to consider is that Harada has no part in the Soul Calibur series anymore. If there ever was someone to come to E3 to demo it, it would be Hoshino. From the pictures floating around E3, Hoshino is no where to be found. It would make sense if he accompanied M.Murray and Harada but he's never to be found in any of the pictures. Anyways, The final day of Press conferences is over. The dream is dead :(

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Another thing to consider is that Harada has no part in the Soul Calibur series anymore. If there ever was someone to come to E3 to demo it, it would be Hoshino. From the pictures floating around E3, Hoshino is no where to be found. It would make sense if he accompanied M.Murray and Harada but he's never to be found in any of the pictures. Anyways, The final day of Press conferences is over. The dream is dead :(

This is incorrect. Harada was in charge of the section that had the Soul team. There has been some structure changes; but Harada has a huge influence on Soul still.

sasuke_91

Maan, The Last Guardian Re-Reveal, Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy VII Full Remake... that was one amazing E3 O.O
Kingdom Hearts 3 Gameplay also looked amazing (although Sora looks weird and I'm kind of sceptical about that Flow Motion System).

My little brother has become a pretty good Tekken player. I haven't touched Online in a few days and only played with him. Offline Tekken at home, nothing better than that :D

AAK

This is incorrect. Harada was in charge of the section that had the Soul team. There has been some structure changes; but Harada has a huge influence on Soul still.

My bad, thanks for the correction. The way Harada worded his tweets about SC this past year it sounded like he has nothing to do with it anymore.

Slowmo can get pretty hype sometimes but it never happens enough.

KkD15a.gif

It's always hype.

I'm totally convinced we are gonna get a Tekken 7:CR now. No announcement at all at E3 means we are getting a traditional arcade update in the late fall/winter and the console version will be out Fall 2016. Just like Tekken 6.

And I predict just like with Tekken 6's release, the hype for Tekken 7 will be deflated by the announcement of a "Season 2" for SFV that will be released in March of 2017. It's literally going to be the exact same thing as Tekken 6 and SFIV all over again.

I think Namco should really consider simultaneous arcade release and console release. This model they have been going with since Tekken 6 has not worked well every time but they keep going with it. They are worried about pissing off arcade operators but in my opinion that's an easy fix. Just give the arcades shit that the console doesn't and you can unlock shit for your console version only buy playing in the arcades. You know link the two through TekkenNet.

I really think something like that needs to happen because I think they are hurting their console sales and worldwide appeal by delaying the game so much. When SFV drops it will be like boom brand new hot off the presses, when MK drops the same thing, when Tekken 7 drops on console, everyone's already seen that shit, it's old news. We've been watching people play it for 2 years.

It's such a bad look for the game. It feels old before it's even released. It's part of the reason anime games struggle so much out here in the west too. Like look at the potential top games at EVO next year, SFV, MKX, SSB4, SSBM, UMVC3. None of those games have arcade releases that dragged on forever without a release on console. In fact they are all console exclusive.

There just has to be another way to keep Asian arcade operators happy while simultaneously releasing the game on console. If not it's just gonna be the same old shit forever.

Numb

I am hyped for both of them equally now.SFV won me over in the past 3 days of gameplay where it took Tekken 7 months. It's not that i wasn't hyped for it but it just felt more of the same. The new characters is where most of my hype for it came from and Kazumi was the tipping point that got me into full gear. What ZTS said also put things into perspective. Tekken is going to spend months in arcade while we twiddle our thumbs so i will not rush myself even though i care the most now than i did before. It will be a waste of time and energy and namco doesn't care either which way. I'll play which ever one comes first.

sasuke_91

I don't even care when Tekken 7 releases anymore. I had high hopes for a console release soon after the Official arcade release. I don't care about arcade owners being pissed, we don't have arcades in the west. Now it seems like we won't see the game until Winter 2016 or even Spring 2017. By then the hype will be non-existent on my part and maybe I'll have found my love for SF V (never played Street Fighter except for SF II on the SNES).

I think Namco should really consider simultaneous arcade release and console release. This model they have been going with since Tekken 6 has not worked well every time but they keep going with it. They are worried about pissing off arcade operators but in my opinion that's an easy fix. Just give the arcades shit that the console doesn't and you can unlock shit for your console version only buy playing in the arcades. You know link the two through TekkenNet.

I really think something like that needs to happen because I think they are hurting their console sales and worldwide appeal by delaying the game so much. When SFV drops it will be like boom brand new hot off the presses, when MK drops the same thing, when Tekken 7 drops on console, everyone's already seen that shit, it's old news. We've been watching people play it for 2 years.

It's such a bad look for the game. It feels old before it's even released. It's part of the reason anime games struggle so much out here in the west too. Like look at the potential top games at EVO next year, SFV, MKX, SSB4, SSBM, UMVC3. None of those games have arcade releases that dragged on forever without a release on console. In fact they are all console exclusive.

There just has to be another way to keep Asian arcade operators happy while simultaneously releasing the game on console. If not it's just gonna be the same old shit forever.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it also. What is the harm in doing a simultaneous release or even something like a 6 month time frame for the Western console market when arcades are practically nonexistent compared to Japan at least to my observation? I doubt THAT many Japanese gamers would import to the point where it will tamper with arcade profits. Someone correct if I am wrong though. Just release at home in Japan later to keep the arcade owners happy or whatever since they at least have access to the game in Japan. I really think the extensive and unnecessary delays could be detrimental to the console version sales as well and everyone seeing the game online, characters, combos, playing in the arcade consistently, etc imo really makes you feel like you seen it all before it even released.

lupinko

I concur with the poor presentation of the game when it comes to media.

For example in all media shots, photos or video, SFV is spectacular.

Tekken 7 doesn't really shine when it comes to footage. I know the game does look fantastic but unlike everybody else I get to play the game in person from time to time.

Degen

So Gigas should basically just not try to sidestep anything huh

That's good because I never sidestep anything with anyone in TTT2

I think Harada has said in the past the arcade version basically funds the home version though.

Like they make enough bank off the arcade version to add in all the story mode and costume stuff and whatnot so the home version doesn't launch barebones.

But i dunno. The wait is totally killing my hype for sure. And not even SC6? Bleh.

sasuke_91

So Gigas should basically just not try to sidestep anything huh

That's good because I never sidestep anything with anyone in TTT2

You should try to do that though. It's interesting how many moves in this game have bad tracking. Just look at Nobi's SS guide for example to see what side you should be focusing on for each character.

joeblow

If Namco hyped up a console release early, let alone actually release T7 early at home, their arcade sales would dry up in Asia. That is still a huge source of revenue for them, which is why they don't even mention it for retail.

Westerners like us are greatly affected negatively because we don't at least have the option of playing at the arcade before the "complete" version DR/BR style is released, but Namco's chosen business model doesn't allow it.

Right now, nothing official specifically addresses the home version for these reasons. You can only hype the arcade release in countries that won't ever see it so much before there is nothing else to say. Namco's real attempt to market T7 out west won't begin until they announce it for consoles with the expansion built in, which won't happen until the arcade release has a decent run.

Considering Street Fight does well in Arcades only a month or two before the console version comes out. I'm calling bullshit on Namco. The model sucks.

sasuke_91

@AAK: GrayFoxPL asked me to post this GIF in response to your video.
ibq17DG29WikD6.gif

Sidesteps don't seem to be that horrible.

Good games Doomshine. You pulled off some crazy stuff with Jin today. And some of those combos just blew my mind!
I have one question. After Jin's CH f+4 you cancel the stance into crouch dash und do a b+3. I just can't do that for whatever reason. The input would be f+4,df~B,b+3 wouldn't it? Any tricks or advice?
The person I was playing with was some guy I met in BlazBlue and he asked me if I wanted to play some Tekken matches. He did some interesting stuff sometimes, but he's obviously not a Tekken player. The second one is a German player who was also at the tournament in Frankfurt. A good player who knows a lot about the game.

AAK

Maybe Kazumi's standing 4 has that extremely linear property but I can't say since she's a new character and I can't comment on her moves... Hwoarang's RFS d/f+4 has always been extremely easy to step, even when you are at negative frames.

If it's a balance change on Hwoarang giving that move the ability to track to his right I have no idea what's Namco's logic in balancing. Hwoarang now has an unseeable knockdown low and a safe mid launcher that tracks from RFS? I'd like to think it still has to do with the SS nerf but you never know when it comes to Namco's T7 decisions.

Doomshine

Good games Doomshine. You pulled off some crazy stuff with Jin today. And some of those combos just blew my mind!
I have one question. After Jin's CH f+4 you cancel the stance into crouch dash und do a b+3. I just can't do that for whatever reason. The input would be f+4,df~B,b+3 wouldn't it? Any tricks or advice?
The person I was playing with was some guy I met in BlazBlue and he asked me if I wanted to play some Tekken matches. He did some interesting stuff sometimes, but he's obviously not a Tekken player. The second one is a German player who was also at the tournament in Frankfurt. A good player who knows a lot about the game.

GGs. I used to do the "lazy" CH f+4 combo with cds+1 but it always bothered me so I decided to just sit down and practice it. The easiest way for me is to hold df after f+4 and then hold b as soon as the cancel happens. Once I learned the timing for the cancel it became much easier.

I recognized the name of the second guy but I'm not sure from where. It's possible that I've played him before in DRO or T6.

sasuke_91

Maybe Kazumi's standing 4 has that extremely linear property but I can't say since she's a new character and I can't comment on her moves... Hwoarang's RFS d/f+4 has always been extremely easy to step, even when you are at negative frames.

If it's a balance change on Hwoarang giving that move the ability to track to his right I have no idea what's Namco's logic in balancing. Hwoarang now has an unseeable knockdown low and a safe mid launcher that tracks from RFS? I'd like to think it still has to do with the SS nerf but you never know when it comes to Namco's T7 decisions.

Maybe the move tracks better and was made unsafe now, you never know. But yeah, RFS df+4 is extremely easy to step, even after d+3,4.

GGs. I used to do the "lazy" CH f+4 combo with cds+1 but it always bothered me so I decided to just sit down and practice it. The easiest way for me is to hold df after f+4 and then hold b as soon as the cancel happens. Once I learned the timing for the cancel it became much easier.

I recognized the name of the second guy but I'm not sure from where. It's possible that I've played him before in DRO or T6.

It also bothers me that I can't do max damage combos with Jin or Lee. I want to learn a few good combos at least. Learning to do b+3 after CH f+4 would be a good start :p

Yeah, Funky_Button might be a T5/6 player. He has been playing this game way longer than me I guess, because his knowledge is pretty remarkable.
You always run into players you know from somewhere. I know a lot of players from player matches, World Arena and a German Tekken forum. Well, I know them, but I don't know how many know me :p

AAK

After d+3,4? No man, in TTT2 if your opponent does anything other than block after d+3,4 on hit, RFS d/f+4 will hit for a free launcher.

If Namco hyped up a console release early, let alone actually release T7 early at home, their arcade sales would dry up in Asia. That is still a huge source of revenue for them, which is why they don't even mention it for retail.

Westerners like us are greatly affected negatively because we don't at least have the option of playing at the arcade before the "complete" version DR/BR style is released, but Namco's chosen business model doesn't allow it.

Right now, nothing official specifically addresses the home version for these reasons. You can only hype the arcade release in countries that won't ever see it so much before there is nothing else to say. Namco's real attempt to market T7 out west won't begin until they announce it for consoles with the expansion built in, which won't happen until the arcade release has a decent run.

There is no proof of this and I can't logically see how that would work. Japanese players are saying they wont play SFV if there is no arcade release. Look at every single fighter that doesn't have an arcade release, Japanese players aren't top dogs in it. Japanese players ONLY want to play in an arcade.

Again if the console version is different, then there is still a reason to go to the arcade and play as well. It's could be as simple as they both update with balance changes and characters but the console update is always 1 month behind the arcade one. More customizations in the arcade, customizations costs less gold in the arcade. Special events for the arcade like they have for Tekken Revolution. "Play in the arcade this week and win 25 matches and unlock this sweet item" or you'll buy it on console for $3.99 at a later date.

This is exactly how old Capcom games ended up dying out. Console sales of games like 3S and CVS2 were trash. So they stopped making them. If Tekken sells under 2 million on consoles this time it will be a disaster.

Man the one thing I really don't like about Tekken 7 is that sidestep change. They need to make SS more evasive if they are going to take away your ability to block out of it.

joeblow

There is no proof of this and I can't logically see how that would work. Japanese players are saying they wont play SFV if there is no arcade release. Look at every single fighter that doesn't have an arcade release, Japanese players aren't top dogs in it. Japanese players ONLY want to play in an arcade.

Again if the console version is different, then there is still a reason to go to the arcade and play as well. It's could be as simple as they both update with balance changes and characters but the console update is always 1 month behind the arcade one. More customizations in the arcade, customizations costs less gold in the arcade. Special events for the arcade like they have for Tekken Revolution. "Play in the arcade this week and win 25 matches and unlock this sweet item" or you'll buy it on console for $3.99 at a later date.

This is exactly how old Capcom games ended up dying out. Console sales of games like 3S and CVS2 were trash. So they stopped making them. If Tekken sells under 2 million on consoles this time it will be a disaster.
It's not the players as much as it is the arcade owners that would be the issue. They use arcade money to fund the final home release, so it is an important issue. This was pointed out several times in past releases; I'm not just making it up.

Also, I'm not even saying it is the best strategy. Just relaying what is pretty much old news about why they do it.

It's not the players as much as it is the arcade owners that would be the issue. They use arcade money to fund the final home release, so it is an important issue. This was pointed out several times in past releases; I'm not just making it up.

Also, I'm not even saying it is the best strategy. Just relaying what is pretty much old news about why they do it.

That sounds really silly to do...

Sayah

Considering Street Fight does well in Arcades only a month or two before the console version comes out. I'm calling bullshit on Namco. The model sucks.

I think Murray had said "thousands of arcade operators" get Tekken machines whereas Street Fighter is "a few hundred." I don't think the profit margins are comparable between the two franchises as far as arcades go. In addition to that, Namco actually uses arcade profits to make content-heavy console games. Capcom games in comparison always end up being barebones in content.

The thing I find most ironic is that Capcom had multiple releases of SFIV that sold rather well and they still needed Sony funding for a sequel. After Smash Bros. Brawl, Street Fighter was pretty much the most successful fighting game franchise last generation. Doesn't make much sense to me. Capcom execs pocketing all that paypah probably.

Anyway, if this becomes more commonplace, then Namco will really have to reconsider.

CHirk_HW8AAk9FA.jpg

I used to be a fan of the arcade model since it ensured an end quality product but that was before betas and F2P versions of games became so common. Now, there is no reason why people worldwide can't have access to the game even if it's very limited compared to the arcade version and even if it has a lot of bugs like the weird Tekken 7 glitches being discovered all the time. It would make the wait much easier. But Namco would rather prefer to completely ignore the worldwide audience. Bringing it to competitive fighting game tournaments is appealing to a very small niche that contributes little to your sales. If you can have a playable build at these tournaments, why not have one at E3? Don't announce it for consoles. Just show the arcade version so gaming journalists can cover it. The marketing for this game is just.......so terrible.

It's an increasingly globalized world now that many many people are connected to the internet. You can't expect to release something in one part of the world and expect everyone else to just pretend like it doesn't exist. There is severe need for evolution and abandonment of this old approach. Even what little Tekken 7 we have is thanks to MarkMan or otherwise there would be zero presence of this game in North America. And even then, only a limited number of people at a limited number of events have access. It's not like I can walk to my local best buy and try out a demo or something.

Sayah

Never thought I'd see the day but this mainline Tekken may very well sell way under 2 million. Seeing too much hate behind this game. Some of it is very understandable. Dev team seems to have put more effort into Summer Lesson than they did on this game. :lol
j/k

It looks beautiful but all the beautiful is kind of blemished with unbelievably terrible choices for some of the new character designs (Chloe, Devil Kazumi, Gigas) along with TTT2 custom accessories being ever present and returning characters returning in the same clothes from 10 years ago. The DISGUSTING levels of sexuzalizaiton also doesn't help. There was a point in time when Tekken didn't have to stoop this low to sell itself.

I'm having phases with this game where I'm going from being really excited and looking forward to it and just happy that we're getting a Tekken 7 to being absolutely tired of a lot of the stuff going on with this game's development.

Never thought I'd see the day but this mainline Tekken may very well sell way under 2 million. Seeing too much hate behind this game. Some of it is very understandable. Dev team seems to have put more effort into Summer Lesson than they did on this game. :lol
j/k

It looks beautiful but all the beautiful is kind of blemished with unbelievably terrible choices for some of the new character designs (Chloe, Devil Kazumi, Gigas) along with TTT2 custom accessories being ever present and returning characters returning in the same clothes from 10 years ago. The DISGUSTING levels of sexuzalizaiton also doesn't help. There was a point in time when Tekken didn't have to stoop this low to sell itself.

I'm having phases with this game where I'm going from being really excited and looking forward to it and just happy that we're getting a Tekken 7 to being absolutely tired of a lot of the stuff going on with this game's development.

Have you seen SFV? Tekken 7 has nothing on that. Tekken doesn't parade around a character in a thong as their default costume, have their butt jiggle and have all of their taunt, win poses, and supers pan around her ass. I'm ass man but like that shit with Cammy in SFV is the kind of shit you don't want your girlfriend seeing you play or you're gonna get shit.

Sayah

Have you seen SFV? Tekken 7 has nothing on that. Tekken doesn't parade around a character in a thong as their default costume, have their butt jiggle and have all of their taunt, win poses, and supers pan around her ass. I'm ass man but like that shit with Cammy in SFV is the kind of shit you don't want your girlfriend seeing you play or you're gonna get shit.

Oh, I know. SF isn't doing any better in that regard. DoA has always been about this. SoulCalibur as well. But I'm talking about Tekken, which maintained dignity before at least.

Tekken 7 especially is literally making me bipolar, lol. One of the only franchises (along with Smash Bros. and Souls) left in gaming that I'm actually attached to very deeply. Maybe it should just die out so I can be free. :p

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
This makes me think about a dream game from the Tekken and Soul team.
EDIT: Before anyone says it, no Rise of the incarnates does not count.

Also one of things I loved about old tekken is it's female character designs were actually respectable (for the most part), Jun, Xiaoyu. When I saw Alisa a in T6... don't get me started on T7's Kat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom