• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Murray had said "thousands of arcade operators" get Tekken machines whereas Street Fighter is "a few hundred." I don't think the profit margins are comparable between the two franchises as far as arcades go. In addition to that, Namco actually uses arcade profits to make content-heavy console games. Capcom games in comparison always end up being barebones in content.

The thing I find most ironic is that Capcom had multiple releases of SFIV that sold rather well and they still needed Sony funding for a sequel. After Smash Bros. Brawl, Street Fighter was pretty much the most successful fighting game franchise last generation. Doesn't make much sense to me. Capcom execs pocketing all that paypah probably.

I'll bet you paper money those are all connected to that last one. Capcom burns money like their name's Nintendo but aint got the profits for it.

And based on your picture(not saying that is the complete case) that Arcade model is doomed to not be the money taker it once was. The idea is as antiquated as putting not putting Frame Data in the game or at least releasi-you get the picture.

Shame on it all you want but the arcade model for Bandai Namco is still very much so worthwhile for the company. There's a whole slew of system additions to Tekken 7 (outside of the gameplay itself mind you :p) that just increase the money they make from the people that already go to the arcades.

• For those who don't know, Tekken-net and the T7 cab is integrated together online but most of the good features of Tekken-net require a 'Tekken-net premium membership' subscription each month which gives you access to the rankings board, team functions, customization, allows you the use of the other custom slots (non premium members can only customize LP button slot for a character) and some other stuff.
  • Then there's the treasure box settings on the main menu which allows you to increase your chances of getting items in game (you need to insert credits to access it) and then when you get to the treasure box screen (that screen where you get to pick between 4 treasure boxes after filling the treasure gauge after matches), you need to insert more credits to actually receive the items. When you go online on Tekken-net to cash in the items (for orbs, tickets, gold etc), you sometimes get customization blueprints for characters you don't actually play so you need to keep trying over and over to get the ones you want. Then of course, once you get the items you want, you have to 'develop' them first with these orbs before you equip them. It's kinda hard to describe but this whole item collection system is kinda reminiscent of free-to-play mobile games. Tekken 7 even has a daily bonus for tapping on with your banapass card and playing on the machine daily.

It's a bit hard to ignore but when you read online Tekken boards on 2ch or Tekkenbbs, you tend to read a few angry posts from players that feel like they get 'swindled' by it. It can be a giant money sink that people can find themselves in. A shame too, because the customizations in the game are still not really good.
  • Then of course, there's the other stuff like the new Training mode of course, 1 credit for 5 minutes then insert another for 7 minutes.
  • And lastly I think is this Special Revenge Match thing that seems kinda.... Dubious by design. After losing a bit in Revenge Matching, you can kinda destroy the purpose of a deathmatch by inserting 2 credits to select Special Revenge Match allowing you to lose again but not get demoted. However, if the player is really self conscious about the rank, in order for them to keep their rank, they have to keep selecting SRM (2 credits at a time) and then win a match so they can leave. If that player can't win a single match? Yeah... -.-

Anyways, as far as I heard, from the recent Famitsu issue with Harada: (there's scans floating around)

http://ikura.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/gamefight/1433315158/44

'Tekken 7 is the best in the series for the amount of income being made. The average playtime of a player on Tekken 7 is the longest ever too.'

Now why give all this up just to appease a few people on Neogaf? hahaha.

And yeah, can't really disagree on the marketing of the game.

Here's a SF character reveal trailer

https://youtu.be/Qd2B9a0y6rw?t=1m13s

and here's Tekken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aNjhVFi9s

:(

Sayah

Shame on it all you want but the arcade model for Bandai Namco is still very much so worthwhile for the company. There's a whole slew of system additions to Tekken 7 (outside of the gameplay itself mind you :p) that just increase the money they make from the people that already go to the arcades.

• For those who don't know, Tekken-net and the T7 cab is integrated together online but most of the good features of Tekken-net require a 'Tekken-net premium membership' subscription each month which gives you access to the rankings board, team functions, customization, allows you the use of the other custom slots (non premium members can only customize LP button slot for a character) and some other stuff.
  • Then there's the treasure box settings on the main menu which allows you to increase your chances of getting items in game (you need to insert credits to access it) and then when you get to the treasure box screen (that screen where you get to pick between 4 treasure boxes after filling the treasure gauge after matches), you need to insert more credits to actually receive the items. When you go online on Tekken-net to cash in the items (for orbs, tickets, gold etc), you sometimes get customization blueprints for characters you don't actually play so you need to keep trying over and over to get the ones you want. Then of course, once you get the items you want, you have to 'develop' them first with these orbs before you equip them. It's kinda hard to describe but this whole item collection system is kinda reminiscent of free-to-play mobile games. Tekken 7 even has a daily bonus for tapping on with your banapass card and playing on the machine daily.

It's a bit hard to ignore but when you read online Tekken boards on 2ch or Tekkenbbs, you tend to read a few angry posts from players that feel like they get 'swindled' by it. It can be a giant money sink that people can find themselves in. A shame too, because the customizations in the game are still not really good.
  • Then of course, there's the other stuff like the new Training mode of course, 1 credit for 5 minutes then insert another for 7 minutes.
  • And lastly I think is this Special Revenge Match thing that seems kinda.... Dubious by design. After losing a bit in Revenge Matching, you can kinda destroy the purpose of a deathmatch by inserting 2 credits to select Special Revenge Match allowing you to lose again but not get demoted. However, if the player is really self conscious about the rank, in order for them to keep their rank, they have to keep selecting SRM (2 credits at a time) and then win a match so they can leave. If that player can't win a single match? Yeah... -.-

Anyways, as far as I heard, from the recent Famitsu issue with Harada: (there's scans floating around)

'Tekken 7 is the best in the series for the amount of income being made. The average playtime of a player on Tekken 7 is the longest ever too.'

and here's Tekken:

Wow. THat is full on Scamco levels right there. They're actually charging for OLD customizations like that and making you pay extra to not get your rank demoted. Wow. Didn't even know about all of that. It was definitely clear people were playing the game for longer times thanks to the revenge match feature but I didn't realize it was actually profiting more than any previous Tekken arcade title. Unless that's just PR from Harada.

But that still doesn't excuse the fact that we could at the very least get a Beta or demo or something for the rest of the world.

I don't have the numbers but I always got the impression that each revision of SF4 sold worse than the previous one.

Each new revision did sell less but each new revision also required far less money to make.

AAK

Now why give all this up just to appease a few people on Neogaf?

What...what am I reading here?

That's simply criminal. Now that I think about it, namco would probably have done the same thing for a console-arcade simultaneous release ripping all of us off the same way. All this time they never were any better than WB games. Plus if they released T7 to the west with the same quality and business practice of the arcade I honestly can't see myself supporting this company.

After reading that I'm beginning to really fear what money laundering scheme Namco will employ for Soul Calibur 6 if they can't swindle arcade gamers.

Thanks for the informative writeup Wonkey.

Sayah

Who needs new players when you can just have old, passionate players spend a good chunk of their income on this game. Knee is literally streaming this game around 4 to 6 hours straight all the time. Wondering now how much money he's spending on this on a daily basis.

AAK

Pretty sure Knee gets to play on free play mode. All the costs are covered by the company that hired him. I'm assuming it's some e-sports broadcasting company.

I'm honestly beginning to question Harada's honesty as well. On one hand he's going on Famitsu lauding the success of T7's arcade release while on twitter emotionally blackmailing his followers claiming Tekken series can end with this one.

Knee is literally streaming this game around 4 to 6 hours straight all the time. Wondering now how much money he's spending on this on a daily basis.

Knee does work for a marketing company called Korea Java. He's playing on free play mode which means he gets to hide how expensive it can be to fully enjoy Tekken 7 haha.

Sayah

Knee does work for a marketing company called Korea Java. He's playing on free play mode which means he gets to hide how expensive it can be to fully enjoy Tekken 7 haha.

Pretty sure Knee gets to play on free play mode. All the costs are covered by the company that hired him. I'm assuming it's some e-sports broadcasting company.

That's weird. What does Korea Java get out of it? It's not like there's millions of viewers and they are getting revenue back from this investment.

DEATH™;169176978 said:
My prediction of TTT2 stock going higher because of T7 is gonna be real yo

Oh, if T7 fails me, I'm just putting gaming to the side. Maybe play a few SP games like Uncharted 4 to get the momentary thrill and move on to do other things. I'm actually already at that point right now, lol.

I've already spent over 1,000 hours into TTT2 and played it to my heart's content. Not gonna spend another 1,000 hours just because I don't have anything better to play.

Given that information bomb from Wonkey. A Tekken 7 home release may never happen, and I think Tekken 7 Arcade is coming to Australia, so Wonkey will soon not care about us. There are players like myself who happily bought buckets of Premium Coins for Tekken Revolution, but I am among a very low percentage so no Tekken 7 ever. Oh well, I guess I will be running Tekken Tag 2 Online tournaments until Sony kills the PS3 server. http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Given that information bomb from Wonkey. A Tekken 7 home release may never happen, and I think Tekken 7 Arcade is coming to Australia, so Wonkey will soon not care about us. There are players like myself who happily bought buckets of Premium Coins for Tekken Revolution, but I am among a very low percentage so no Tekken 7 ever. Oh well, I guess I will be running Tekken Tag 2 Online tournaments until Sony kills the PS3 server. http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/

tumblr_inline_n33jx8kzhc1rbrja2.gif

AAK

Wonkey's information doesn't kill a console release, a console release was pretty much confirmed when Namco licensed Unreal Engine 4 for its portability to multiple consoles.

What Wonkey's insight does say is that Namco will never do a fast arcade to console port ever because of how much money swindling they're capable of from the arcade culture. Expect a long wait for T7 console release. The other thing to look at, is that if Namco doesn't do an arcade release (which probably will happen for SC6) expect a monetization system within the game in order for you to get the complete experience similar or most likely worse than what WB is doing with MKX.

Wonkey's information doesn't kill a console release, a console release was pretty much confirmed when Namco licensed Unreal Engine 4 for its portability to multiple consoles.

What Wonkey's insight does say is that Namco will never do a fast arcade to console port ever because of how much money swindling they're capable of from the arcade culture. Expect a long wait for T7 console release. The other thing to look at, is that if Namco doesn't do an arcade release (which probably will happen for SC6) expect a monetization system within the game in order for you to get the complete experience similar or most likely worse than what WB is doing with MKX.

Damn, this is making me angrier than TEW akumu, and that's mostly an infuriating experience.

No, the reason is that you can hire new people into the company and not have to train them under your proprietary engine. They can come out of game development school and be up to speed on the project. Portability is just a perk of using something that is common.

If we do get a console release Namco may decide to call Other Ocean up to do it. It's over guys, pack it up. We are done.

Wonkey's post reminded me of how many players are playing with just the default costumes in Tekken 7. I was wondering why that was but now that I heard about having to pay extra to customize and for customization options, it makes sense. I sure as hell wouldn't pay extra money a month to have my character customized.

Numb

Wonkey's post reminded me of how many players are playing with just the default costumes in Tekken 7. I was wondering why that was but now that I heard about having to pay extra to customize and for customization options, it makes sense. I sure as hell wouldn't pay extra money a month to have my character customized.

Saw one LC without her garbage default outfit. She had a cat tail but an improvement overall i say.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
AAK, how's Guilty Gear? I'm seriously thinking of buying it like right now on PS Store lol
On second thought, I might wait till I get a PS4 and play it there, still don't know. The only FG experience I have is Tekken and a little of SF. How's GG like as a whole game? (Story, Tutorial etc.)

AAK

Damn, this is making me angrier than TEW akumu, and that's mostly an infuriating experience.

+Respect for doing that mode. I'm just trying Nightmare difficulty and it's pretty hard. Akainu? Bro....

No, the reason is that you can hire new people into the company and not have to train them under your proprietary engine. They can come out of game development school and be up to speed on the project. Portability is just a perk of using something that is common.

If we do get a console release Namco may decide to call Other Ocean up to do it. It's over guys, pack it up. We are done.

Why not both? Easier hires AND easier portability?

Dude a console port is coming. Just watch the latest ATPLive that featured Harada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJOsM4mw4b8

Harada is pretty much confirming T7 will come to console. He just leaves the comment "the money from the arcade sales will make it a better game for the console" when we all know by know it's just business of maximizing profits in probably the most unethical way possible.

Here is MarkMan also pretty much confirming the console release (hinting at some major EVO announcement)

https://youtu.be/tCnUX_TmPFs?t=1m20s

AAK, how's Guilty Gear? I'm seriously thinking of buying it like right now on PS Store lol
On second thought, I might wait till I get a PS4 and play it there, still don't know. The only FG experience I have is Tekken and a little of SF. How's GG like as a whole game? (Story, Tutorial etc.)

I'll be honest, I never was gonna pick up GG despite how unbelievably beautiful it looks & animates because it had that character May that made me say "nope". But then Leo DLC was revealed and I just fell in love with that character design for me to just say "lemme actually try this series" and support this title for making a sequel that recycled nothing from its predecessor.

As for the game itself, I really REALLY like the fact that there is a plethora of mechanics in the game. But mind you a lot of these mechanics are pretty deep and have monumental impacts on the game, especially the roman cancel system. Not just that but there are SF's alpha counters, Soul Calibur''s Guard Impacts, tons of anime game fundamentals that was all A LOT to take in. But the game looked so pretty that it compelled me to kind of grind out a bit more. I'm at a point where I can sort of understand what's happening in the game. But then the next aspect is that there's ALOT of character specific mechanics to digest. But that's where the enjoyment should come in. And not just that, but the combo execution in this game is absolutely brutal. The local players here manage to convert very consistently so I'm assuming it's just a bad habit of getting too used to 3D game combo's. Knowing how to jump cancel and instant air dash cancel to convert combo's is pretty important so yeah I still have a ton of practice to do.

You get to fight a zato player who essentially has to control 2 characters simultaneously and then battle a venom player that is basically setting up snooker balls all of the screen that he can interact with carrying the momentum forward giving so many unpredictable scenario's. The game has so much that is overwhelming to learn it all. But in the end, that is the aspect of the game that's the most endearing to me as well. I love games that give options and control for your character, just like Tekken. Combine that with how varied the characters are I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Only thing I'm currently stuck with is how vortex some of the characters seem like. When I see a Millia doing her ring as okizeme it feels like I'm stuck in defense looking for 50/50's, chipp damage, throws and I'm not sure what do other than keep dealing with their offense. But watching top players on stream they manage to deal with it so I guess it's another thing I have to learn in the matchup.

About the game's ability to welcome newcomers, it has a pretty comprehensive tutorial. It explains all the mechancis, however there is a mission mode in the game that really explains so many situations in the game and trains you how to deal with it. Those I'm finding super hard but are fundamental to learning the game. The one complaint I have with that mode is that I'm unsure if it's character specific scenario's ore general.... and in those scenario's are they very practical in real matches? I don't know enough about the game to make those judgements but the game really does it's best to teach you the ins and outs.

About the story, I actually really didn't like the way it did things. You just sit back and watch basically a 3.5 hour long movie. You can pause anytime throughout and read the backstory which is a nice touch. They didn't put a lot of budget into it IMO especially when you see how insanely good the intro and outro animations are. I guess it's unreasonable to expect that level of detail but I did expect better. However there are a couple cut-scenes that do indeed look beautiful which really makes me wish they put the same effort throughout the entire game. In the end though, you can never beat the way Mortal Kombat does story. Wish they went with that method.

The netcode is also VERY good right now. That is to be expected from all arc system works games. In the end it's a solid game and I recommend it. I'm glad I indulged into it and i probably will play some more to prepare for whenever Revelator comes to console (which can probably be before Tekken 7). GG sequel interests me infinitely more than SFV.

and here's Tekken:

Thanks for the informative write up. That is a reasonable explanation as to why things operate the way they do with the arcade to home port. I had no idea about any of this. It is still disappointing for the plethora of people know do not have arcades or for the individuals waiting for the console version though. As I mentioned in my earlier post was I think they should allow accessibility for people outside of Japan to play it sooner rather than later while they still keep their business model for arcades for Japan intact. Oh well. Maybe we will be surprised later.

Guilty Gear is great. I do recommend it, but it can be very tough to properly learn the mechanics, especially if you are not familiar with 2D fighters or even fighters in general. The tutorial is one of the best I've seen a fighting game and imo it does a respectable job of teaching the basic to advanced fundamentals of the game. The high end, advanced combos in the game are a near insurmountable task for me unfortunately due to lack of time and a little laziness on my behalf. The game is deep, rewardingly deep. GG is more like Street Fighter, but flashier and it looks quite exquisite. Like a 2D anime, but it's three dimensional. I think AAK did a really good job explaining the game in detail. Yeah, I plan on getting back into it soon, but I got a fairly hefty backlog like you wouldn't believe.

Guilty Gear is fun and looks gorgeous. It's a bit too hard for me and i haven't -really- found a character i like playing, so personally i prefer Persona... but GG is really nice.

I'm hoping Revelator comes out sooner rather than later. Jack-o looks like my kinda character.

and I think Tekken 7 Arcade is coming to Australia, so Wonkey will soon not care about us.

Nobody in Australia has gotten word about Tekken 7 being available in the country yet and only Korea and Japan have the game and it's already been out for months. All the other South East Asia countries as well as China haven't got the game too as far as I know. The game is going to take forever to make it down here at this rate, if at all - There's not that many arcades down here anyway.

So I'm just as bitter as everyone else here secretly. :(

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you so much for that super detailed overview. By the way, the intense depth does not scare me one bit XD There are a few characters that peek my interest, Ky, Sol, Sin, Slayer? Faust looks funny. I'll give this a shot.

A friend told me to try this offer since he knew I like Tekken and he was surprised by TTT2's insane depth, he figured I'd like GG.

Besides I really want to get into one good 2D fighter for once. GG Card it is, if I like it (which I think I will) I'll get Revelator on PS4.

As cool as GG's systems are, Baiken was what attracted me to the game in the first place.

I can't bring myself to care about the new game with her still being left out. Sigh.

+Respect for doing that mode. I'm just trying Nightmare difficulty and it's pretty hard. Akainu? Bro....

It's about 10x more rage inducing than playing any fighter online. It's...unfair. The game knows it too.

The T7 arcade situation is pretty depressing, especially coming off console TTT2 which was a lot of bang for your buck.

AAK

Another thing that really hit me after reading Wonkey's post combined with the latest ATP Live episode. Remember when Aris/Rip/Rickstah were basically discussing whether or not Namco is OK with just settling for 2nd place? i'm beginning to think that is the absolute reality.

At this point I'm realizing that Tekken really isn't a series anymore about pushing the boundaries and innovating. I originally had a slight benefit of the doubt towards Namco thinking the situation with their fighting game division wasn't that good and they are cutting corners for the sake of staying alive. But now looking at the real situation It's essentially Namco taking complete advantage of the legacy fans' good will. It's clear now that if they wanted to make an ambitious numbered sequel they could have.

Is Tekken going to become a series where they just keep recycling legacy content and only innovate with F2P-like price gouging schemes? Going forward I dunno if I can recommend such a game spearheaded by a company with such malicious consumer practices.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually kind of disappointed from what T7 loss like right now. To be vague,I did eject a lot more. If we get fight lab levels of tutorial again... There's no way this community is gonna grow. I'm kinda looking elsewhere (just DL'd GG). I'll keep the bandit of the doubt for now but let's be honest, SCVI is gonna destroy T7.

Sayah

Well, they did say that development costs are 4X that of Tekken 5. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering how much more expensive development is in this ultra HD era.

But that doesn't excuse such anti-consumer practices. I don't know how Japanese players are reacting to this but clearly if this model has been successful, they're fine paying exorbitant prices. I guess they want to keep the arcade culture alive no matter what. From what I read somewhere, a lot of Japanese players are also refusing to touch SFV because it didn't come to arcades? Certainly interesting...........

I'm actually kind of disappointed from what T7 loss like right now. To be vague,I did eject a lot more. If we get fight lab levels of tutorial again... There's no way this community is gonna grow. I'm kinda looking elsewhere (just DL'd GG). I'll keep the bandit of the doubt for now but let's be honest, SCVI is gonna destroy T7.

I tried a lot of different fighting games. At the end of the day, nothing really gives me that same satisfaction as Tekken. :/

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
I know exactly how you feel brother. There something about tekken that does distinguish itself from other fighting games (well the older ones). Tekken had that 'cool' vibe to it. As for satisfaction, it's the little things like landing a clean just frame that feels so good. I'm looking at you EWGF. I like their sound design, especially when it comes to hit grunts, it's not OTT, although it seems like it's becoming more and more generic lately. I'm looking at you cyber robot girl with chainsaws... and Lars grunts can get annoying. (UF3)

Sayah

I know exactly how you feel brother. There something about tekken that does distinguish itself from other fighting games (well the offers ones). Tekken had that 'cool' vibe to it. As for satisfaction, it's the little things like landing a clean just frame that feels so good. I'm looking at you EWGF. I like some of their sound design especially when it comes to hit grunts, it's not OTT, although it seems like it's becoming more and more generic lately. I'm looking at you cyber robot girl with chainsaws...

Yeah, that's definitely part of it. Landing certain hits just feels very satisfying in a way you don't get that in other fighting games. And then there's also the incredibly deep gameplay system. It's really rewarding once you get invested in it and not a lot of other fighters are as deep. Even stuff like Virtua FIghter is lacking that "oomph" that you get from Tekken.

AAK

Well, they did say that development costs are 4X that of Tekken 5. And I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering how much more expensive development is in this ultra HD era.

Back to that same argument, that said budget was utilized to make the least ambitious sequel seen in fighting games we've seen in a very long time. How about having fewer characters, more new mechanics, and new systems? You don't need 20-ish characters out the door. You can have spread that budget across fewer characters day 1 like Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 while truly evolving the way Tekken plays and presented the same way Capcom,ArcSys, and NRS went about it (who also had to deal with ultra-HD development costs).

And any company should know, investing in brand new ideas and innovations market your game better helping recover those costs.

But the way it looks now, Namco doesn't seem to care about making money off of wowing the word with the evolution of the series. They'd rather just take the recycling easy route and scalp the arcade community by making them pay even extra for legitimately brand new content on top of the per-game fee. I guess it maximizes profits on their part, but I can't respect it when the other fighting game devs go through the struggle of originating novelties with their new titles. Namco doesn't need the marketing or the money from the west, they're perfectly happy with the current easy model of ripping off the arcade scene.

In the end, Tekken is my favorite fighting game too for what it offers. But unfortunately I see nothing that this newer version satiates about my love of the genre that Tekken Tag 2 doesn't.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried guilty gear, I like it. Getting used to it and I think I can dig this game. I'm trying out several characters but Ky sticks out to me.

What really jumped out at me about this game was the presentation, did Tekken ever have a trial mode? I know they had something like it in T4. The tutorial is really helpful, Roman cancels weren't as hard as I thought it would be. Mission mode is clever too, I have a staple against dive kicks.

AAK, did you ever notice something about Namco games? It always seems like they go for a quantity over quality approach, usually in the form of huge character rosters.
I honestly think TTT2 would've been better with:
-a smaller roster (no clones at all)
-trimmed move lists

This game, like Tekken has a lot of mechanics to learn.

AAK

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the magnum opus of fighting games. It had quantity sure but it beams with quality simultaneously. Aside from the clone nonsense, this is the best Tekken hands down. The movement takes a good delicate balance between the huge steps in DR and neutered backdash in BR. The game balance is pretty unbelievable considering the number of variables tag assault introduces.

The problem is just that Namco is spreading that quality too thin over way too long. Everything has been simply incrementally improved ever since Tekken 5.0. The legacy knowledge carried over making the transition to every new game relatively painless but enough is enough and it's time to move on. I go back to this video a lot but it concisely hits the nail on the head:

https://youtu.be/4h9mmYDFghM

What he says at the 2:45 mark is the crux of the issue. Namco has made an extremely influential and enjoyable period in the Tekken saga with Tekken 5 and its updates leading to Tekken Tag Tournament 2. We can always go back to them whenever we wish to revisit those games to experience this style of gameplay. But alas, it's time to move on.

But on the topic of Namco in general Soul Calibur I don't feel goes quantity over quality either.

AZUMIKE

While the situation is iffy, I'm excited to see what will happen...My list of pros and cons:

PROS
+The game has potential
+ Game looks great (the background environments especially)
+The game can still potentially have a great story mode (*crosses fingers for something on par with T4*)
+ Supers can be hype
+Slow motion can hype
+Legacy skill carries over, and the game still plays like Tekken
+The game still might as well be in beta, so there is room for evolution/growth

CONS
- Hitting characters on their feet during juggles is still a thing
-Not digging power crush system at all (just a weird concept to me)
-Game won't come to console for a looong time
-As it stands now the game seems incomplete, and thus not worth waiting for.
- Besides slow mo, supers, power crush and easier sidestep and wakeup, the game isn't that much different from TTT2.... (can be argued that TTT2 is better because it doesn't have all that stuff).

Sayah

Back to that same argument, that said budget was utilized to make the least ambitious sequel seen in fighting games we've seen in a very long time. How about having fewer characters, more new mechanics, and new systems? You don't need 20-ish characters out the door. You can have spread that budget across fewer characters day 1 like Tekken 3 and Tekken 4 while truly evolving the way Tekken plays and presented the same way Capcom,ArcSys, and NRS went about it (who also had to deal with ultra-HD development costs).

And any company should know, investing in brand new ideas and innovations market your game better helping recover those costs.

But the way it looks now, Namco doesn't seem to care about making money off of wowing the word with the evolution of the series. They'd rather just take the recycling easy route and scalp the arcade community by making them pay even extra for legitimately brand new content on top of the per-game fee. I guess it maximizes profits on their part, but I can't respect it when the other fighting game devs go through the struggle of originating novelties with their new titles. Namco doesn't need the marketing or the money from the west, they're perfectly happy with the current easy model of ripping off the arcade scene.

In the end, Tekken is my favorite fighting game too for what it offers. But unfortunately I see nothing that this newer version satiates about my love of the genre that Tekken Tag 2 doesn't.

Well, let's also consider the fact that Namco isn't as big as WB and doesn't have Sony funding behind its title like Capcom.

I'm not excusing Namco, though. I've already said many times before, Tekken 7 is not at all a drastic evolution from Tekken 6. Power crush moves and rage arts don't do anything to change the core gameplay. However, my main reason for being excited is that #1). It's Tekken, #2). It's 1v1. #3). It's 1080p 60 FPS. If it still fails in capturing my attention, then I'll give gaming a break. That's that.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
I remember that TMM video a while back, I even remember talking to you about it. He makes a really good point, if we really want to go back, we have these awesome games to play.

Perhaps the idea of another time skip in T7 would have been beneficial ala T3. Easy excuse to leave behind some characters and start with a clean slate. I'll keep my eyes open for T7 news, but I'm kind of pessimistic about it. Hence why I wanted to try and take on another FG for a while. I really do love Tekken, it's funny but this game, especially TTT and T4 really conveyed something to me personally back in 2004?

We'll see what Namco can do with an obvious revision and then eventually home release.

This game is like Marvel. 1 more, 1 more, 1 more, 1 more. Then you gotta be that guy who's like. Aight when I get up 3 games I gotta call this quits cause we've been playin for 5 hours but you're gonna keep playin till you go up 3 and be like "I'm out" while the other guy is like "Na Na Na Na, 1 more 1 more"

I suppose the best course is to push hard for a Tekken 7 PC release. From there it can be modded by fans. If it has degenerated in to little more than a cash cow, and Harada wanting to be known for more than Tekken. Fans can take the torch and have no need for Tekken 8.

Anyone know of a good petition website to collect the numbers? Some people tweeted Harada about other games being released and he said something to the tune of needing many thousands of signatures. I think a Tekken 7 PC petition could reach that if a broad enough audience was aware of it. We certainly shouldn't just assume a PC release will happen..

Sayah

I suppose the best course is to push hard for a Tekken 7 PC release. From there it can be modded by fans. If it has degenerated in to little more than a cash cow, and Harada wanting to be known for more than Tekken. Fans can take the torch and have no need for Tekken 8.

Anyone know of a good petition website to collect the numbers? Some people tweeted Harada about other games being released and he said something to the tune of needing many thousands of signatures. I think a Tekken 7 PC petition could reach that if a broad enough audience was aware of it. We certainly shouldn't just assume a PC release will happen..

Petitions often tend to not accomplish anything, unfortunately.
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is the magnum opus of fighting games.

I agree with this statement.

Guess the rumors were true: Tekken 7 really coming to Round 1 arcades in the US.

*sighs* Do I have to not be lazy and make my way out to one now?

:/
Nowhere near me.

There's a Dave & Busters in NYC. Please bring it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom