• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you want something to talk about:

http://i.minus.com/ixuenZW1xEuwB.gif

That is all a natural combo. With the debugger guaranteed. It's mid, and it's safe. And it can also wall splat making his wall pressure game worse than ever before.

At least someone will have to get nerfed for Tekken 7 BR.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it's hit confirmable too.

Gotta be CH NC not a NC. It used to be a full fledged launcher and lead to about 80% in BR. That's back when FC d/b+1 was +9. So you got hit by this 12 frame low that was safe on block and if you pressed anything you were losing 80%.

AAK

I don't mind some characters being stronger than others... but at least make those characters difficult to use so that I can respect their utility like Mishima's. But this kind of balance along with Shaheen terrorizing really ticks me off. It's back to the Bob situation in TTT2/T6.

Oh well, it's Namco being Namco and I can only hope thing get fixed for T7:BR.

Anyways, some fanart that kinda made me chuckle:
51135955_p0.jpg

Sayah

If it's CH, then it's a little more tolerable but still..........dat health bar...plus the other stuff.

I don't mind some characters being stronger than others... but at least make those characters difficult to use so that I can respect their utility like Mishima's. But this kind of balance along with Shaheen terrorizing really ticks me off. It's back to the Bob situation in TTT2/T6.

Oh well, it's Namco being Namco and I can only hope thing get fixed for T7:BR.

Anyways, some fanart that kinda made me chuckle:

I think Harada said in an interview that if they want a character to be used more by players, they just do these sort of buffs. And it works because people generally like to gravitate towards the easy execution top tiers. I wonder how many people would have actually used Bob if he wasn't so good in T6:BR.

If it's CH, then it's a little more tolerable but still..........dat health bar...plus the other stuff.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it even if it is a NC. They move is super slow and needs to be done from FC. Has no tracking, and really no way to set it up. It's just a punisher.

And the f+2 thing is actually something Jack kinda needed since his nerfs in Tag 2.

BTW: Sayah I saw what went down in FGW. I got a chuckle out of it. Thanks for standing up for me.

Sayah

I personally don't see anything wrong with it even if it is a NC. They move is super slow and needs to be done from FC. Has no tracking, and really no way to set it up. It's just a punisher.

And the f+2 thing is actually something Jack kinda needed since his nerfs in Tag 2.

I don't use Jack all that much but as a non-CH natural combo, this would definitely be very deadly and a problem. AAK mentioned it's hit confirmable.

A three string natural combo with a follow-up that takes over half of the lifebar? Yeah, no.

BTW: Sayah I saw what went down in FGW. I got a chuckle out of it. Thanks for standing up for me.

Oh, no problem.

I don't know the history between some of the people there (Karsticles, Panda) and you but I often see your name come up in FGW discussions when I sometimes skim through posts there. It's like they're saying one thing but the way you're often brought up randomly into discussions makes me think they want you posting there.

Whatever you did, you sure left an impression, though. :p

I don't know the history between some of the people there (Karsticles, Panda) and you but I often see your name come up in FGW discussions when I sometimes skim through posts there. It's like they're saying one thing but the way you're often brought up randomly into discussions makes me think they want you posting there.

Whatever you did, you sure left an impression, though. :p

To be honest have no fucking clue, I don't know who those guys are. I was on GAF for maybe what like 2 months before I got banned. How the hell did I leave such an impact that they still talk about me even now? I would get shit all the time in random Twitch chats about how I was banned from GAF members. I feel like Bison. "The day I graced FGW was the most important day of their lives but for me it was Tuesday."

Sayah

Yeah, I don't get how such very strong reactions are elicited over an anonymous internet forum member. I would expect that sort of emotional response over something more serious like getting cyberbullied but I highly doubt that's the case with you. Which, in turn, makes me think it's all exaggerated and they want you posting, lol.

AAK

One more thing to consider, because his best move is FC d/b+1 and the best weaon against it is to low crush it. Now with the FC d/f+1,2,f+2 option, if that string floats someone hopkicking then the f+2 ender does a screw attack giving the Jack player a full combo.

It's pretty dumb I have to be honest there. Normally I'd care more... But at this point I'm completely weathered & jaded with every decision regarding this game. Not surprised at this point.

DEATH™;170539394 said:
There's the key phrase... Just wait for half a month after it's out and people will drop it like people usually do...

BR had over 600 and was the second biggest game at EVO in 2010. Don't be so hasty. That's 458 players with their shitty marketing. Dude Guilty Gear just got nearly 1000. Are you really telling me Tekken 7 can't get there too?

DEATH™

BR had over 600 and was the second biggest game at EVO in 2010. Don't be so hasty. That's 458 players with their shitty marketing. Dude Guilty Gear just got nearly 1000. Are you really telling me Tekken 7 can't get there too?

You have to consider the fact that some people want to try it out and some people think that since many people are actually trying this game for the first time (not Tekken overall but T7), their gimmicks would work more than it should, making them feel like they got a better chance of going far in the tourney.

What I'm saying is, wait until the game is actually released in homes.They will quickly change their mind with a healthy dosage of shaheen hopkicks.

DEATH™;170539853 said:
You have to consider the fact that some people want to try it out and some people think that since many people are actually trying this game for the first time (not Tekken overall but T7), their gimmicks would work more than it should, making them feel like they got a better chance of going far in the tourney.

What I'm saying is, wait until the game is actually released in homes.They will quickly change their mind with a healthy dosage of shaheen hopkicks.

So 458 people who may have had anywhere from 0 to 10 total matches of Tekken 7 experience ever payed to enter a tournament and are planning on gimmick out each other on the way to a Top 8 and that's why they entered?

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

AAK

I think it'd wise to keep the expectations of Tekken 7's popularity in check. It's not a sequel in the same manner of MKX, SFV, or GGXrd where every character was redone and people can enter the game with a blank slate and feel invited to the series. Gauge how popular Tekken 6 was, and expect the size of the community to be in that same spectrum.

Just like how Tekken 6 had to compete with SF4, Tekken 7 will have to compete with SF5 And unless some major overhaul takes place between now and the console release, people are going to be seeing Tekken 7 and immediately be reminded of the exact same animations, outfits, and customizations they've been seeing since 2009.

EDIT: A more apt equivalence in my opinion for Tekken 6 going to Tekken 7 would be looking at the popularity spike between Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, and then going to Blazblue Chrono Phantasma. There will be a minor spike, but the overall community is still gonna be the same size as it's always been.

I think it'd wise to keep the expectations of Tekken 7's popularity in check. It's not a sequel in the same manner of MKX, SFV, or GGXrd where every character was redone and people can enter the game with a blank slate and feel invited to the series. Gauge how popular Tekken 6 was, and expect the size of the community to be in that same spectrum.

Just like how Tekken 6 had to compete with SF4, Tekken 7 will have to compete with SF5 And unless some major overhaul takes place between now and the console release, people are going to be seeing Tekken 7 and immediately be reminded of the exact same animations, outfits, and customizations they've been seeing since 2009.

Xrd sold like shit and was marketed like shit and has nearly a 1000 players. Tekken 6's community was smaller than Tag 2s. Both EVOs for Tag 2 had tons of Top players not bothering to show up or travel. Remember EVO banned DS3s and it's been hurting Tekken ever since since like 70% of the players play on DS3s. On PS4 people will be playing on DS4s which are not banned as far as I know. Expect a much larger turn out come Tekken 7. I bet you it will be bigger than 2010s Tekken 6. If EVO didn't ban DS3s Tag 2 would have had 600+ in 2013.

I'd also like to take this time to say the Cannons and Wizard a full of shit when it comes to the banning of DS3. They act like it's some gigantic fucking hassle to deal with them. When if someone pushes the home button it's the exact same thing as a pause. You just start the damn thing over again even rounds. But they had to make a big deal about it and ban it. So stupid. Every single other tournament in the entire US allows DS3 except EVO. Made no fucking sense.

DEATH™

So 458 people who may have had anywhere from 0 to 10 total matches of Tekken 7 experience ever payed to enter a tournament and are planning on gimmick out each other on the way to a Top 8 and that's why they entered?

jenniferlawrenceokaythumbup.gif

Not necessarily top 8, but get far enough. Not unlike Tag 2 where you will get totally crushed and discouraged...

Anyway, IIRC PS3 sticks won't work on the t7 machines but it isn't as announced for some reason. Please have markman answer if its finally resolved. I hope people coming in won't have problems coming in. I know I did when I played...

lupinko

From the same match at the wall:

0xvNWa.gif

EDIT:

And if you wanted more buffs, his 10 frame punisher... is now a counter hit launcher:

c6gwnw.gif

Oh yeah, don't forget that this f+2 was punishable in T6 -> TTT2. So now, when in T6 you dad safe magic 4's terrorizing players, now Jack has a 1 frame faster magic 4 that also does hella damage!

Proof that it's safe: (thanks to Wonkey for the gif)

jack7f2spam.gif

I now see where Lupinko's pain is coming from.

Seriously fuck Jack.

Ugh.

What are they thinking? It's like they're trying hard to make it unbalanced. Don't fix what's not broken. I understand pretty much every character got buffs but this is going overboard.

That's fucking Jack sadly.

AAK

Xrd may have sold like crap but the game still got new players.

Anyways, I'm not going to be making a lot of assumptions of what could have been. I have my reservations on how impactful the DS3 ban was. Shouldn't Final Round or CEO then have gotten bigger numbers if the majority of the players were boycotting EVO? EVO still had the biggest turnout for TTT2 outside Japan.

But alas, no point in discussing what could have been. Bottom line is, once Tekken 7 comes out the new generation of players are going to see a game that animates exactly like the previous iteration recycling all the same art but uprezzed to 1080p with 6 new characters and backgrounds. Will that be enough to get new people into the scene? Especially with SFV that probably is already released and MKX that will have its second season of DLC characters? What does Tekken 7 have that Tekken 6 or TTT2 didn't that will compel the masses to play it?

EDIT: Looks like July 7th is gonna be a patch date with some new stages and balance changes:

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/616136776764256256

MarkMan is still hinting that the announcement is gonna big for July 7th. Let's see.

Doomshine

Why is GG getting a pass when the majority of their characters have looked the same since the game they first appeared in? Why would casuals not notice that but recognize specific animations for Tekken?

Xrd may have sold like crap but the game still got new players.
I guess it has that in common with TTT2 then.

Are we really going to say that it means nothing that an unreleased T7 is getting more entrants than the so called magnum opus of the Tekken series? I think you guys are underestimating how much going back to 1v1 means.

AAK

GG pulled off a cel-shaded look that's unparalleled to anything any other developer has managed. I don't see how it's far fetched to say casuals will really notice it. Heck, it's the first fighting game since probably Soul Calibur to ever win the best graphics of the year award by any major publication.

And the 1v1 argument roots back to the fact that TTT2 already had a solo mode for people that didn't want to deal with tag. And even if you want to discredit that, Tekken 6 is also 1v1. Hence like what I'm saying T7 probably will retain the same popularity of that game.

(And Pwetty Gwaphics).

It only takes a few minutes to begin customizing for everything to be ruined:

CI1FJJLWgAAc5Hm.jpg

Let's hope Namco lets people disable customs.

AAK

Are we really going to say that it means nothing that an unreleased T7 is getting more entrants than the so called magnum opus of the Tekken series?

This is my assumption here, but I believe a lot of the EVO pot monsters are entering T7 at EVO because no one has really played the game yet except a select few. They know they can pay $10 and get to experience a new game with other likeminded people who never got to play it either. They're looking at it as a fun mystery game style experience rather than a true competition. To me, the fact that it's unreleased helps its numbers. I can't see T7 having more entrants at next year's EVO (if it's there) unless it gets a major overhaul to what the game looks like now.

Sayah

Let's hope Namco lets people disable customs.
But if you disable customs you will have to see Rucky Chroe in her default outfit. :p

Why is GG getting a pass when the majority of their characters have looked the same since the game they first appeared in? Why would casuals not notice that but recognize specific animations for Tekken?
Well, it's the same for a lot of fighting games other than GG too.

Like Ryu and Chun Li's defaults are just more pixels in SFV.
Kasumi has been wearing the same default costume since DoA1.
At least Tekken has only been doing this since Tekken 5.

I guess the difference is that series like SF and DoA have consistently kept a lot of the defaults since the very beginning. Tekken has been more radical with costume designs and we've seen significant changes from Tekken 1 through to Tekken 5. Now seeing the same Tekken 5 costumes over and over is not something we're used to in the Tekken world?

AAK

30,000 dollars for T7 from Namco....

To put that into perspective, TTT2's global championships only got $10,000 from Namco. Tekken Crash got 7 million Won for the entire team of 3 competitors that comes to around $6,500. And I think Mastercup gets practically nothing because of the anti-gambling laws.

Guess Nobi & Yuu might finally break even on how much they've spent on Tekken :p

Sayah

To put that into perspective, TTT2's global championships only got $10,000 from Namco. Tekken Crash got 7 million Won for the entire team of 3 competitors that comes to around $6,500. And I think Mastercup gets practically nothing because of the anti-gambling laws.

Guess Nobi & Yuu might finally break even on how much they've spent on Tekken :p
Yeah, that is massive investment from Namco.
It really must be doing well in arcades if they're putting in that sort of money.

Plus, the Lili/Eliza T-shirt.

I really want to be at EVO. :(
Think it's too late to register now anyway.

Though, it would have helped boost Tekken 7 numbers if they announced the 30k before registration closed.

AZUMIKE

A mega pot Bonus, with an "big" announcement incoming? Console release date please! lol

On the topic of controllers, I think it will be helpful if DualShock4s get continued support. Tekken definitely has lots of pad exclusive players.

HeelPower

Kinda fucking stupid and senseless when the game hasn't released and nobody has had a good chance to know what they're doing to deserve that amount of $$$

Unless ,ofcourse this is what will happen, some koreojapanese players with a disproportionate advantage at the game come and snatch the prize.

who I am kidding they would've won anyway

Manbig

Kinda late here, but Jack got that f2 CH buff in TR. Assuming that it's the same, it's not a launcher. He only gets one free follow up hit. With the crazy scaling of T7 though, I doubt that the damage difference between following up with a f,f4 or a full walless juggle is all that different.

Sayah

I don't think it's very nice to downplay their generosity like that. $30,000 is no small sum.

Yes, some Japanese or Korean player will likely win but there could be an upset. If you really want to practice for Tekken 7, just play one of the returning characters in Tag 2 and it shouldn't be hard to get bnb combos down.

I watched matches of RIP and Kane playing the game and they were playing it like it's second nature. But I still understand the disadvantage American players are at, especially without any matchup experience against the new characters.

Sayah

Either Kat or Claudio will be my main. Unless Nina reveal turns up the heat. Then they'll be secondaries....probably.

HeelPower

As a Kat player, she doesn't have anything up close. :/

Yeah, that's gonna a fatal flaw of hers ,but then she seems to be able to cover most other ranges really well which ,imo, is good character design.

What's important is they don't nerf mid range otherwise she'll be garbage.

As she is now though,She seems really,really good.Knee kicked ass most times I've seen him play as her.Keep in mind she still has a hopkick and amazing magic 4 from upclose.

Dem fight monies.

Glad Namco is willing to put up some cash for the competitive community, even if it is small compared to others.

Sayah

If the pot is distributed through top 32 or 64 (400~ entrants, why not), there is no reason to complain.

This would probably be more fair.

But in any case, the alternative could be no pot bonus, or worse yet, no Tekken 7 at EVO. This is more like a promotional event and if I had the chance, I would have attended despite knowing there was no shot of winning. And I would get a nice t-shirt out of it. :)

AAK

In Tekken Crash, Shaheen players are banned from customizing him to only have black and white colors.

The reason is most probably because those are the same colors donned by the ISIS fighters.

Sayah

I've seen Shaheen in black custom clothes several times. Never made that connection. Let's not tie those disgusting people with a video game character like that.

Also, your OT is missing all its images. How long has it been minus.com?

Sayah

Minus.com images have been like that for months now. I just happened to see the OT and noticed mostly everything's disappeared. It's better you host your images on another site from now on. Minus has turned into trash. Maybe use Imgur or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom