• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

I'll download it, slow internet means it won't finish until tomorrow morning, so I'll have to wait to try it out.

Would be cool to play with some fellow GAFFers :)

Is there a time limit to play it like Tekken Revolution?

Sayah

I'll download it, slow internet means it won't finish until tomorrow morning, so I'll have to wait to try it out.

Would be cool to play with some fellow GAFFers :)

Is there a time limit to play it like Tekken Revolution?

Tomorrow morning? Dayum. What type of internet are you using? Mines downloaded in 20 to 30 minutes.

Also, when I opened up the game, it said all characters are free for like a week or two or something?

Was reading reviews on steam and you can apparently unlock all the characters permanently through in-game currency, though, so that's good.

And there's no limit to playing as far as I'm aware. It also looks pretty good for a F2P game.

AAK

By morning I mean in around 2 hours. It is DSL... but network has been really shoddy today. It is the Canadian Independence Day holiday and all.

Anyone else here played Rise of Incarnates?
Just played a single game and won by mashing, lol.

Way back in the alpha I put a few hours into it. Enjoyable, but the long wait from that point kinda made me forget about the game. And the Gundam monsters are scary good.

sasuke_91

My attempt to study in this heat with no water failed miserably. And it's not getting any better until next week.

I wanted to sit down and learn Feng/Dragunov. I still haven't done that. Are there any good tutorials out there or should I rely on RIP's Morning B&B?

AAK

Rise of Incarnates seems fun... but man I can't enjoy it on my PC. It felt like it was running at around 15 fps :(

I noticed there was a customization system as well. Says you have to spend "IP" Was too lazy to do research, are IP's only obtainable through real life currency or can you get it through in game grinding?

Sayah

Rise of Incarnates seems fun... but man I can't enjoy it on my PC. It felt like it was running at around 15 fps :(

I noticed there was a customization system as well. Says you have to spend "IP" Was too lazy to do research, are IP's only obtainable through real life currency or can you get it through in game grinding?

Just lower your resolution if it's not playing well. I'm playing on 720p since my laptop apparently can't handle 1080p despite having played some other recent games just fine in 1080 (DmC, Batman).

And I did unlock some customization item today. The game really is fun. I've experimented with a few of the characters and have found Terrence/Ares to be the most fun so far.

I always go for agility and Lillith seems to be the most agile character in the game but her moveset makes no sense to me. lol.

Sayah

Nice Kazumi fanart

CIrBxP8UcAAwlvT.jpg:large

AAK

Thanks for the advice on Roi, didn't know where I could go to change the resolution. I'll look into it thanks. Tried and mashed with a bunch of characters. Ra seems the most appealing to me because of the 3 different attack styles. But Lilith's Command Dash was the only one where I felt like I was legitimately playing and getting legitimate custom combo's LOL.

And that Kazumi artwork was featured in that 20th Anniversary stream that had Naps, AK, and all those Japanese players. It's still pretty sick, that artist does some amazing work.

Also to those who don't know, there is an Italian tournament going on right now

http://www.twitch.tv/tekkenmilano

There is the female double King player who just 3-0's Harry Potter and is in Winner's Finals. Japan's tissuemon is there too and is already in the Loser's bracket!

Sayah

Thanks for the advice on Roi, didn't know where I could go to change the resolution. I'll look into it thanks. Tried and mashed with a bunch of characters. Ra seems the most appealing to me because of the 3 different attack styles. But Lilith's Command Dash was the only one where I felt like I was legitimately playing and getting legitimate custom combo's LOL.

And that Kazumi artwork was featured in that 20th Anniversary stream that had Naps, AK, and all those Japanese players. It's still pretty sick, that artist does some amazing work.

Also to those who don't know, there is an Italian tournament going on right now

http://www.twitch.tv/tekkenmilano

There is the female double King player who just 3-0's Harry Potter and is in Winner's Finals. Japan's tissuemon is there too and is already in the Loser's bracket!

At the top right of the menu, there should be a settings button right alongside with the game exit button.

AAK

Yo that Tissuemon vs Harry Potter match was beautiful.

RIP Marduk and Raven... I'm really gonna miss those characters :'(

Sayah

Also, for Rise of Incarnates, I would highly suggest installing input mapper and playing this with a dualshock 4. Keyboard/mouse controls were so awkward.

AAK

And Vanex won again 3-0! waiting in Grand Finals.

I couldn't get my DS4 to work for some reason. I plugged it into the PC and saw windows install the drivers for it, but the game never registered it. Instead I downloaded a 3rd party DS3 driver and that ended up working fine. I thought the DS4 was natively supposed to work on the PC, Guess I have to download Input Mapper to work.

But I think I'll stick with the DS3, I've heard so many horror stories of the DS4 build quality that I'll stick to using it as infrequently as possible LOL.

Sayah

Yeah, the DS4 build quality isn't all that great. I dropped it once and the L2 key now crackles every time I use it.

AAK

^^^ Shoot, I dropped my DS4 accidentally the first day I got it. Better be careful from now on.

Damn, that Vanex girl is beast. That Ogre player could take out Tissuemon, Devil Kazuya, and was helpless against her.

Sayah

This Mak_nificent person is cracking me up with comments after JDCR lost.

"water and cookie hype"

lol

"JDCR about to complain about the dinner they gave him"

AAK

Wow, what a catastrophe. I wonder if the TV suits are gonna notice the embarrassment of these crashes and boot Tekken Crash completely.

Sayah

I just tuned in. What have I missed?

Tekken 7 crashing twice while running on live television on a program called Tekken Crash. :lol

Wow, what a catastrophe. I wonder if the TV suits are gonna notice the embarrassment of these crashes and boot Tekken Crash completely.

There's an update coming Tuesday that should be fixing these issues.

And hopefully Only Practice can finally get to play Nina. It's funny everyone gravitated away from Lars as soon as he got nerfed.

AAK

I can definitely feel it from watching this high level gameplay. The only player that actually managed to SS anything with confidence was JDCR. Everyone else is playing quite a linear game.

Also, beware of a Shaheen explosion. According to Laugh there are around 22 Shaheen players registered in this tournament.

Sayah

I can definitely feel it from watching this high level gameplay. The only player that actually managed to SS anything with confidence was JDCR. Everyone else is playing quite a linear game.

Also, beware of a Shaheen explosion. According to Laugh there are around 22 Shaheen players registered in this tournament.

I wanted to see more Kat play. Oh well.

AAK

I have to say, the lack of supermodels strutting their stuff around lets me focus way more on the action. I hope they keep it that way and don't bring them for the actual premier of the tournament during EVO weekend.

Manbig

After watching this Tekken Crash stream for a while, I'm going to once again call everyone out on their "no oki" bullshit. People are taking huge hits on the ground left and right. Even small low pokes hit hard as hell on grounded opponents.

AAK

I don't think anyone ever claimed there's gonna be "no oki". It was the fact that oki is dumbed down where there is a fewer pool of moves you need to use to make the optimal oki damage. Before if there was a quick getup you'd do a different move to maximize (i.e. getting a float) for oki wheras if they did a backroll you'd go for a deep backroll catch. Now, to maximize the damage the on both you'd follow the same principle since everything hits as a low grounded hit now that there's no backroll catches or refloats.

EDIT: I guess it's wrong of me to speak for everybody. "I" did not mean to ever imply there was no oki. If I ever said oki was gone or something it was with the implication that it's dumbed down, not gone completely.

lupinko

So any of you going to Evo and enter TK7, just practice Jack.

Oh right, fuck Jack.

Edit: Still grinding away with Kat, @ 6th Level now with the record of 174-294.

I've been busy lately so I haven't been able to practice other characters yet.

I can change Kat's custom hair color now.

AAK

Claudio is looking crazy strong from the match videos. His f+3 is a safe, low crush, homing, mid, kick that does at least 30-3-5 damage which also wall splats. And worst of all, it becomes a screw attack move if he hits it while you're airborne. His b+1 also looks unbelievably annoying. If people discover even more with him he could be right there with Shaheen at the top.

But one thing is for sure though, Namco needs to desperately include unique screw attack animations depending on the orientation of the opponent during a juggle. While watching Tekken Crash I saw Claudio's b+1 hit on CH a bunch of times. This leaves the opponent in a crumple stun state but 90 degrees to Claudio in a T-bone shape. When the Claudio player did a Screw attack like f+3 the tailspin animation looked so retarded. The tail spin animation logically is supposed to send the opponent in the trajectory to where there head is pointing. But since the attack is coming from a 90 degree angle it's supposed to push them away from Claudio and the game can't decide making one of the jankiest looking juggle animations I've ever seen.

I was already really annoyed with what the screw attack animation looked like when the opponent was backturned, but the sideturned version is now past the tipping point. But in the end, I probably care more about this than Namco themselves...

I can change Kat's custom hair color now.

... and seeing things like this makes it even more obvious what Namco's main priority is right now :/

Claudio is looking crazy strong from the match videos. His f+3 is a safe, low crush, homing, mid, kick that does at least 30-3-5 damage which also wall splats. And worst of all, it becomes a screw attack move if he hits it while you're airborne. His b+1 also looks unbelievably annoying. If people discover even more with him he could be right there with Shaheen at the top.

But one thing is for sure though, Namco needs to desperately include unique screw attack animations depending on the orientation of the opponent during a juggle. While watching Tekken Crash I saw Claudio's b+1 hit on CH a bunch of times. This leaves the opponent in a crumple stun state but 90 degrees to Claudio in a T-bone shape. When the Claudio player did a Screw attack like f+3 the tailspin animation looked so retarded. The tail spin animation logically is supposed to send the opponent in the trajectory to where there head is pointing. But since the attack is coming from a 90 degree angle it's supposed to push them away from Claudio and the game can't decide making one of the jankiest looking juggle animations I've ever seen.

I was already really annoyed with what the screw attack animation looked like when the opponent was backturned, but the sideturned version is now past the tipping point. But in the end, I probably care more about this than Namco themselves...

... and seeing things like this makes it even more obvious what Namco's main priority is right now :/

Welcome to 4 months ago when I was talking about that shit lol.

Claudio's flaws are well documented now. He's not top tier. Just don't duck. His lows are not good and he has no throw game. Claudio needs to hit you with like 15 d/b+3s(his most damaging low that's launch punishable) to be able to take a round. Patients beats Claudio and knowing how and when to push your advantage. He also has no in close game. i15 d/f+1 that's -2 on block, b+3 is i13 but it's -5 on block.

f+3 and b+1 a great moves no doubt but they are also both i18 to hit and -9 on block. It's your opponents mix up on block. f+3 on hit doesn't leave you in a good position for mix ups and b+1's KD is not amazing for oki. They have their flaws as moves. If they weren't safe they'd be pretty useless moves in neutral.

He's very similar to Bruce(except Bruce has better lows). Hence why I started picking up Bruce. I personally think Claudio is pretty much perfect right now in terms of balance. He has just the right amount of strengths and weaknesses. He excels at range 1.5 to 2 where very few characters who aren't Mishimas can claim to be strong.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Man I love Steve's animations. If I get back into boxing, I hope I can fight as clean.
I know, I know, it's motion capture. A guy can dream right? Same goes for Jin's Kyokushin

One of the big takeaways from Tekken Crash prelims for me was how fast this game is right now in terms of match speed. Again feels a lot like DR. Lots of sub 30 second rounds.

lupinko

Korean players cannot resist his good looks! Remember he got banned from Saudi Arabia for that reason!

Not really, I think I just finally reached that level. A lot of customization is locked behind leveling and/or behind the paywall membership.

AAK

Not really, I think I just finally reached that level. A lot of customization is locked behind leveling and/or behind the paywall membership.

After Wonkey's revelatory post my main issue is the way Namco is using human psychological gambling tendencies to profit at the expense of holding back content the series was known for away from the consumers.

Here is a great video by Gamespot about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79dWuqXe5o

You can easily draw the parallels between how Activision handled Destiny's expansions and the way Namco is handling TTT2 in regards to its customization system. Of coarse Namco isn't as evil since customization doesn't overwhelmingly factor into the core gameplay. But that video opened my eyes now how Namco pretty much intentionally gimped the aesthetic and customs of this game to psychologically trick our brains to accepting whatever bone they throw at us the same way Destiny is intentionally being so sparse with their content.

lupinko

After Wonkey's revelatory post my main issue is the way Namco is using human psychological gambling tendencies to profit at the expense of holding back content the series was known for away from the consumers.

Here is a great video by Gamespot about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79dWuqXe5o

You can easily draw the parallels between how Activision handled Destiny's expansions and the way Namco is handling TTT2 in regards to its customization system. Of coarse Namco isn't as evil since customization doesn't overwhelmingly factor into the core gameplay. But that video opened my eyes now how Namco pretty much intentionally gimped the aesthetic and customs of this game to psychologically trick our brains to accepting whatever bone they throw at us the same way Destiny is intentionally being so sparse with their content.

No you're right, it's exactly that, like the netplay 10 win limit or how items are locked behind random ass lottery tickets which themselves are random to get in the first place.

If this was an older game, I'd have a ton of Kat customs now, but what do I actually have? A lot of pairs of pants for male characters. :/

At least I got the shirt and puffy ski jacket for Kat.

That aside, the game is fun though, and the Banapass is on Sega's network so I can use it for Xrd or DOA or random anime games if I wanted. Same goes with gundam and Wangan.

Sayah

No you're right, it's exactly that, like the netplay 10 win limit or how items are locked behind random ass lottery tickets which themselves are random to get in the first place.

If this was an older game, I'd have a ton of Kat customs now, but what do I actually have? A lot of pairs of pants for male characters. :/

At least I got the shirt and puffy ski jacket for Kat.

That aside, the game is fun though, and the Banapass is on Sega's network so I can use it for Xrd or DOA or random anime games if I wanted. Same goes with gundam and Wangan.

Good to know you're at least having fun with the game.
Let us know your impressions once you get to play the big update that's coming today.

Doomshine

I'm bored so I'm going to make a crazy prediction just so I can say I called it if it happens: T7 PC version is announced and it's coming to early access on Steam soon.

What are your ridiculous predictions?

AAK

Everything I I've been hammering Namco to include this whole thread looks like a ridiculous impossibility to me.

But my spirit is all but broken to predict any of them to come true. Don't wanna set myself up for another disappointment.

EDIT: Someone Wonkey retweeted mentioned that the info can be expected around 10-11 PM EST. So basically 7-8 hours from now.

AZUMIKE

Ridiculous prediction: Tekken 7: AR. Console release date announcement. Coming early next year. Jun also confirmed as primary protagonist.

Sayah

I'm bored so I'm going to make a crazy prediction just so I can say I called it if it happens: T7 PC version is announced and it's coming to early access on Steam soon.

What are your ridiculous predictions?
This would be so good if true. Would give evo competitors a chance to actually play the game.

I have a feeling it's not going to be be super big news. I'm betting it is another announcement of something that is like kinda good but poorly executed. My feeling is a Tekken Pro Tour thing like Capcom but poorly executed. Like they'll be like "This year starting in September around the world Tekken 7: Pro Tour" with the game not even out on consoles and they will be like "Come to events like SummerJam and compete and earn points" but it's on the arcade boards and that is it. With a "Final in Japan in December" or some shit. Something that is like "Oh that's cool...except we DON'T HAVE THE FUCKING GAME" So we send over 3 Americans to get butt slammed by Japan and Korea.

That's what I'm expecting. Something like that. Namco has a history of doing dumb shit like that. Remember the like $40,000 they gave away at ComiCon a few years ago for Tag 2 when it wasn't out in the US. "Come compete in 16 man a Tag 2 tournaments for big money!" It was a joke.

Sayah

Looks like there won't be a day to practice T7 like originally planned. RIP non-japanese.

Well, a lot of the American players that maybe have a shot of getting into top 8 actually got a chance to play the game in previous tournaments. Hoping that helps but it's nothing compared to the 3 or 4 months Japanese/Korean players have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom