• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

Kurokuro is now streaming his tournament in Japan:

http://www.twitch.tv/kurokuro9696japan

Sidenote... I started playing MGS4 earlier today. Good God this game.... it's unbelivable how much detail is in everything. I struggle to think how MGS5 can possibly top this.

BTW Sasuke you NEED to watch the cutscenes of MGS1-3 before playing this game. Only 1 hour into it there's like 5 major plot points mentioned that mandates you to have seen those games. Also going with hard mode... definitely needs a lot of patience.

Okay, you convinced me. I'll watch the cutscenes :D
You wouldn't insist on it so much if it weren't so important^^

I miss Tekken 6. :(

People can hate on scenario campaign all they want but the core gameplay is some of the best experience I've ever had with this franchise.

It's the last game I remember playing where I would go up to or over 50 matches played in a local session. Nothing else has sparked local play like that for me again.....yet.

I hated Tekken 6.

Things I said back then:
"Juggling is too easy. In Tekken 5, juggling required skill. In Tekken 6, everyone can just push buttons"
"Juggles take too much life"
"Jin is the best character because he attacks out of his defense" (stuff like b2,1 and b1)
"Dragon Tail is unfair because you get a combo out of it"
"Online is full if spammers" (this is true though :p)
"Tekken 5 was faster" (what?)

This all came from a casual player, so I might not be the only one who said stuff like this, even if most of it is not true. I still wonder how I even started playing TTT2 without complaining about this stuff :p

I hated Tekken 6.

Things I said back then:
"Juggling is too easy. In Tekken 5, juggling required skill. In Tekken 6, everyone can just push buttons"
"Jin is the best character because he attacks out of his defense" (stuff like b2,1 and b1)

This all came from a casual player, so I might not be the only one who said stuff like this, even if most of it is not true. I still wonder how I even started playing TTT2 without complaining about this stuff :p

You stopped being a scrub lol

Sayah

Okay, you convinced me. I'll watch the cutscenes :D
You wouldn't insist on it so much if it weren't so important^^

I hated Tekken 6.

Things I said back then:

If you played Tekken 6 as a casual, then those complaints seem common. But now that you're playing TTT2 and loving it, I doubt you would have the same complaints about Tekken 6 if you went back to it.

All the casual market was like "this bound stuff is annoying." "I keep getting juggled when I roll back." "What is going on?"

Though, the online for Tekken 6 was pretty ish so can't disagree with that.

Watching Kurokuro Cup for a few hours now, sure looks like Katarina got the short end of the visuals compared to the rest of the cast. Keep her sunglasses on, she looks crazy when you can see her eyes. Her hair is also easily the worst looking in the game, especially with hats on.

Chloe has a weird mouse-like face too, but it's only really noticable if you change her hair.

Yeah, they really didn't do much with Katarina. Take the sun glasses off and you can notice. Her hair is definitely the worst out of any character in the game. And it clips so much at certain points.

But they are updating over time so I'm assuming it'll be fixed by console release. Chloe's hair also clipped a lot before but they fixed it.

I am happy to be mentioned in a positive light, sasuke_91 & Sayah. Although, I really do not feel strong in Tekken Tag 2. Reason being that I have never found a secondary to Xiaoyu. With Dragunov, Feng, Ganryu, Heihachi, Jin, King, Lars, Leo, Marduk, Nina, Raven, Steve, Yoshimitsu, and more being characters I could see myself playing, none ever stuck like Xiaoyu has. I still would like to break my mold of only being a Xiaoyu player even as Tekken 7 approaches, but the struggle is so real.

After saying that, Fingers To Fight Tekken Tag 2 Online Tournament 22 is in 5 hours (6PM Eastern/3PM Pacific). My support continues, even though I am such a noob at this still, lol. http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/

Well, the HDMI output on my PS3 is borked, so I can't play Tekken anymore on my monitor. It doesn't support component cables.

Trying to find a local store that can get it fixed.

Sayah

I am happy to be mentioned in a positive light, sasuke_91 & Sayah. Although, I really do not feel strong in Tekken Tag 2. Reason being that I have never found a secondary to Xiaoyu. With Dragunov, Feng, Ganryu, Heihachi, Jin, King, Lars, Leo, Marduk, Nina, Raven, Steve, Yoshimitsu, and more being characters I could see myself playing, none ever stuck like Xiaoyu has. I still would like to break my mold of only being a Xiaoyu player even as Tekken 7 approaches, but the struggle is so real.

After saying that, Fingers To Fight Tekken Tag 2 Online Tournament 22 is in 5 hours (6PM Eastern/3PM Pacific). My support continues, even though I am such a noob at this still, lol. http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/

You should just stick with Miharu then.
Also, thank you for all the support you've given this game.

You're on Tournament #22 so that means you've already given out $220 PSN dollars out to people. Awesome.

Also, I've registered for today's tournament.
So Knee won KuroKuroCup?

Nice.

Well, the HDMI output on my PS3 is borked, so I can't play Tekken anymore on my monitor. It doesn't support component cables.

Trying to find a local store that can get it fixed.
If getting it fixed is too expensive, you can try this method ONLY if you have a VGA input and headphone insertion option on your monitor.

Buy these three things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Component-R...o-HD-TV-LCD-/111730881898?hash=item1a03adf56a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Blue-VG...432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3f1d5940

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-1-8-S...dio-Y-Cable-/400720055445?hash=item5d4cc6cc95

sasuke_91

You stopped being a scrub lol

I was at the same level when I started playing TTT2, but I guess the fact that the matchmaking in Ranked was much better made my experience a lot less frustrating. And Ranking was the only thing I knew back then.
You can't imagine how I felt the day I came here and played GrayFoxPL for the first time. The way he moved and his combos were something I haven't really seen before. Completely blew my mind.

If you played Tekken 6 as a casual, then those complaints seem common. But now that you're playing TTT2 and loving it, I doubt you would have the same complaints about Tekken 6 if you went back to it.

All the casual market was like "this bound stuff is annoying." "I keep getting juggled when I roll back." "What is going on?"

Though, the online for Tekken 6 was pretty ish so can't disagree with that.

I went back to Tekken 6 (I mentioned it in this thread a few times) and love that game. Online is not that bad if you play with the right people, but it's a lot worse than TTT2 of course.

I saw you play on stream a few times and really, really liked your Xiaoyu.
As for a partner for Xiaoyu, I have yet to see a character who fits better than Leo or Lei. Two very strong teams.
We never played against each other, but the video about that chess match you posted back then really openened my eyes and made me realize what my biggest flaw was. Thank you for that.

You should just stick with Miharu then.

If getting it fixed is too expensive, you can try this method ONLY if you have a VGA input and headphone insertion option on your monitor.

Buy these three things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Component-R...o-HD-TV-LCD-/111730881898?hash=item1a03adf56a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Blue-VG...432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3f1d5940

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-1-8-S...dio-Y-Cable-/400720055445?hash=item5d4cc6cc95
Oh, this is useful. Thanks Sayah. I assume you used to have this setup yourself?

Sayah

Oh, this is useful. Thanks Sayah. I assume you used to have this setup yourself?

Yeah, I used this method before. My monitor didn't have an HDMI so I did what I could.
If there's any issues in setting it up, let me know but it should work fine.

Edit: Two other things.

1. You probably already know but switching from HDMI to Component will require you to hold power button on PS3 until it beeps and then it'll reset to recognize the component cable. Then you can switch to 720p from the display settings. That's the highest resolution you'll get with component. I think all PS3 games run on 720p anyways.

2. Certain games may have distortion in audio at certain points. I had this issue with 3rd Strike Online. You can fix this easily by going to the in-game settings and lowering the volume until the distortion is not noticeable. But most games I played didn't have this sound distortion issue.

Yeah, I used this method before. My monitor didn't have an HDMI so I did what I could.
If there's any issues in setting it up, let me know but it should work fine.

Edit: Two other things.

1. You probably already know but switching from HDMI to Component will require you to hold power button on PS3 until it beeps and then it'll reset to recognize the component cable. Then you can switch to 720p from the display settings. That's the highest resolution you'll get with component. I think all PS3 games run on 720p anyways.

2. Certain games may have distortion in audio at certain points. I had this issue with 3rd Strike Online. You can fix this easily by going to the in-game settings and lowering the volume until the distortion is not noticeable. But most games I played didn't have this sound distortion issue.

I mostly play recent-ish games on the PS3 (from 2007), so I should be okay. I don't really care about resolution much, since you can count number of 1080p games on one hand anyways. Thanks again Sayah, you're a temporary life saver. Just bought everything.

Sayah

Thanks for the tourney 9P.

It was fun but it'll be hard for me to join again. It started around 6:30 and lasted until 11:30? Yeah, I got way too much other stuff going on. haha. We'll see. Maybe I"ll be able to join again some other week at some point in the future.

I also need to learn the Ganryu matchup. Getting destroyed by his low launcher. I don'ot even know the proper punish for that.

Gambit61

I think that was the first time I was rooting for a Lili player lol. Chloe has some crazy damage off normal looking attacks.

Kurokuro is now streaming his tournament in Japan:

http://www.twitch.tv/kurokuro9696japan

Sidenote... I started playing MGS4 earlier today. Good God this game.... it's unbelivable how much detail is in everything. I struggle to think how MGS5 can possibly top this.

BTW Sasuke you NEED to watch the cutscenes of MGS1-3 before playing this game. Only 1 hour into it there's like 5 major plot points mentioned that mandates you to have seen those games. Also going with hard mode... definitely needs a lot of patience.

The detail was pretty great even though it's the weakest (though still great) MGS game imo, I rekon (and hope) MGS 5 will be superior.

On Tekken, Is there still no credible word on T7's release date for consoles? I know it'll likely be in 2016 but still.

Sayah

Ganryu's d/b+2 is -21, so you can punish him with your strongest launcher.

LOL
Thanks

On Tekken, Is there still no credible word on T7's release date for consoles? I know it'll likely be in 2016 but still.

They're gonna try to make as much as possible from arcades first.
And the game is definitely making them lots of money right now from the looks of it. Partly thanks to their new anti-consumer practices.

Good games, Sasuke. I picked up Zafina this week. I really like her! (Another character that's not gonna make it into T7, whee )

My stupid cat jumped on me that second to last game, haha. Guess he thought it was time for his midnight snack.

sasuke_91

Good games SquirrelSoup! You abused that low-mid launcher a lot and I didn't know the proper punish. Very clever :D
Your Zafina is already really good. You use her low pokes really well and her solo damage is pretty high compared to other female characters. Her running 3 even tracks to her right if I'm not mistaken o.o
One advice against Jin: Don't push buttons after an EWHF. You will eat a d/f+1,4 and a wall splat if you're at the wall ;)
I met the guy who was with us personally once. He plays pretty well, but he falls for a lot of gimmicks^^

I'm gonna rant a little now, so bear with me: I played with two German guys once and we wrote in the chat a lot. I invited Doomshine after some time and those guys immediately switched from German to talking only English. I appreciate that. It's how things should be. CloudSyler also does that whenever we're with a person who doesn't speak our language.
This guy today though didn't do that. He greeted me in German and only talked German until he left. He even said something about SquirrelSoup in a language he doesn't understand. That's rude!
Okay, maybe he doesn't speak English. But, you see, my English isn't perfect either. Everyone can tell that I'm not a native English speaker. In school, we learn enough English to communicate with other people and you won't get through school if you don't speak a single word. But if you really don't speak a word of English, at least refrain from talking about another person who doesn't speak your launguage!
Okay, my rant is over >_>

The db4, 2 is -13 i think. It's NCC too, so seems pretty amazing to me with that range and the highcrushing.

I can understand German pretty decently actually ^.^ Just don't speak it so well. I live pretty close to the border so was exposed to German a lot while growing up.

The guy seemed pretty sour with his complaining about online spamming. I think that's what he said at least.

sasuke_91

I knew I wasn't off with my punish. I thought it would be at least -14, so I tried those all the time.

Yeah, he said that playing decent players has made it hard for him to adjust to Online spammers.

CSX

Finished watched Tekken Crash. 200Won using charge to bait his opponent to be aggressive to land a rage art was sick nasty !

And love that guy with his phone screen saying "200Won is GOD" lol

m0t0k1

Thanks for the matches GrayFox. Your combo's are great. I always have trouble online dealing with Kazuya and Steves. But yours are way above what i played before. I still don't seem to pull of tag combos on PS3 I can do some combos only out of some hard to hit Alisa moves like b,3,4 and stuff but still need to get used to that dpad and learn some new combos.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFoxPL. Pair play with my brother was a lot of fun, although it's really hard to not work against each other. Combos weren't easy either. "Wait, what filler was I supposed to use?" was an often asked question :D

@Doomshine: When did you start playing Yoshimitsu? I always try to think of using a hopkick when you use that unblockable low launcher with his sword, but I end up blocking low and get launched.
By the way, it would have been great if you were able to play against the guy I invited yesterday. He has the craziest execution I've ever seen and playing against him is really fun.

@ZTS: I'd like to bring up the little discussion we had in the other thread about Steve's position change grab. I still think that it is useful, either for wall pressure when someone wants to turtle his way out (free 1,1,2) or as a mixup when you're diagonally or with your back at the wall (punches into sway). A lot of Steve players I know use it in certain situations, so why do you think it's useless?

Doomshine

@Doomshine: When did you start playing Yoshimitsu? I always try to think of using a hopkick when you use that unblockable low launcher with his sword, but I end up blocking low and get launched.
By the way, it would have been great if you were able to play against the guy I invited yesterday. He has the craziest execution I've ever seen and playing against him is really fun.
A few days ago, I played him in DR too. Yeah, sorry, I was actually about to log off when you invited me, but I figured I would test out my Yoshi before I go.

sasuke_91

DEATH™;175078722 said:
steve wallpush when steve's back at the wall (SWY 1+2~b) = free qcf1 + wallsplat combo.

It also works when you push him 90° to the wall. If your opponent's back is at the wall, 1,1,2 is the only free combo you get.

With a proper setup, Steve can get 100+ damage combo's with that position change grab.

With the proper distance, you can backdash and get another 3,1,1 into a wallsplat before you bound him at the wall. Hwo/Steve definitely get 100+ damage out of that.

A few days ago, I played him in DR too. Yeah, sorry, I was actually about to log off when you invited me, but I figured I would test out my Yoshi before I go.

A few days ago... If that's the case he'll probably be scarier than your Ogre/Law team next time we play :/

AAK

Steve's guaranteed qcf+1 works from any orientation not just 180 or 90 degrees. Just needs the right distance. It's just easier with the 180/90 degree position changes.

Also, another episode of Bubsy's beginner tutorial series was uploaded. This is really fundamental to Tekken's defense and I recommend everyone to check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUnENV5FV_w

But alas it might not work in T7 but it's not like we can test it.

I dunno why you guys like the position change throw so much. If you guys think that throw is so great I wonder what you think of shit like modified volcano throw & wanning moon.

AAK

Volcano throw is one of the best tools in the game, almost too good. I would be OK with it if it was as easy to break as Marduk's f,f+1+2 or Law's f,f+3+4, but it doesn't have that lenient throw window. He gets guaranteed 100+ damage regardless of the stage.

EDIT: it's Jack's d/f,d/f+2+4

Volcano throw is one of the best tools in the game, almost too good. I would be OK with it if it was as easy to break as Marduk's f,f+1+2 or Law's f,f+3+4, but it doesn't have that lenient throw window. He gets guaranteed 100+ damage regardless of the stage.

That the one where he throws you up in the air, right?

DEATH™

I dunno why you guys like the position change throw so much. If you guys think that throw is so great I wonder what you think of shit like modified volcano throw & wanning moon.

You are comparing apples and oranges here though. I mean waning moon is a core foundation threat that defines characters while steve push is something that isn't as well on its own but with combinations of other tools steve has becomes a threat. It's like comparing Lebron over Ray Allen. Yeah compare them side by side and Lebron is better but you cannot say Ray Allen isn't great at what he does...

DEATH™;175117125 said:
You are comparing apples and oranges here though. I mean waning moon is a core foundation threat that defines characters while steve push is something that isn't as well on its own but with combinations of other tools steve has becomes a threat. It's like comparing Lebron over Ray Allen. Yeah compare them side by side and Lebron is better but you cannot say Ray Allen isn't great at what he does...

I don't watch the NBA, your analogy is lost on me. Push is mediocre imo. It needs correct spacing to do what dozen+ other throws can do from any range at the wall. I can't recall the last time a Steve hit me with push into a guaranteed qcf+1. Probably never happened to me once in the entire time I've been playing Tag 2.

Whelp, RFD is running Tekken this year but solo is still banned for reasons unknown. There goes my motivation to attend. <.<

Guess i'll just be waiting for T7 tourneys and try to keep improving by playing online.

Dereck

I've admittedly been a little bitter about people who throw (a lot), and that was because I've never been a big thrower myself, and because I could not break them that well.

Nowadays I've learned a few things, King players that I've played are rarely trying to do chain throws, what King players are usually focusing on are Giant Swings, and that means that I usually focus on breaking 1 throws against them. It's probably a shitty strategy, but it's a much better one than thinking (hopefully he won't throw me), of course he will, and if he doesn't, he's throwing away a clear advantage.

Against the wall, people like to do command throws, they want the wall splat, so when I'm against the wall, I'm just waiting for the opponent to grab me, and when I say wait, I don't mean I'm just standing there, I mean that I'm blocking, trying to sidestep away from the wall, and if they manage to land a grab, sometimes it's gonna be 1+2.

People I've played against aren't that clever with their grab patterns, some people just want to get past your defense, and they're kind of hasty and eager, so they'll throw out a 1 throw usually because it requires the least amount of thinking. If someone is riding your dick, basically giving you mouth to mouth CPR while standing up, they're probably gonna grab you, especially if you're defense is solid. Throws can be inconvenient but they become less inconvenient if you can react to them. I don't always break throws, but I always react to them, the moment I get thrown, I'm mashing either 1+2, or one of those buttons.

Gambit61

Is this damage off a solo combo? I still gotta get the timing down on running under the oponent after the throw. The followup starts with b3,2 right?

Oh and Dereck was my King one of those annoying ones? I noticed you didn't like throws the last time we played and tried not to throw too much lol. I've been trying to get used to poking more with King.

sasuke_91, you are welcome. Here are some more material to continue learning.
My personal playlist of videos related to improvement in Tekken and games in general - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAYYe_GHgX6D-QOh_2en5FC9HkGPS7v01
A very fascinating article that primary deals with designing competitive games, but you can take so much from it as a competitor - http://www.sirlin.net/articles/solvability
Another article that answers some questions the solve one leaves, http://gamedesignadvance.com/?p=2346

I almost in a way never want to become a top player, because I enjoy the surprise I get from the learning process. That said, Fingers To Fight Tekken Tag 2 Online Tournament 22 has been uploaded to Youtube. - https://youtu.be/f1XBX62AI94?list=PLAYYe_GHgX6CCAjC3TuQHajY2Kj1zH1jO

Also, Fingers To Fight Tekken Tag 2 Online Tournament 23 signups have been posted. - http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/f2f23
I have to work this Saturday, so the tournament will be on August 22nd. A little sad that I haven't been able to run every week without a hitch, but it really is one man behind the curtain. I need far more growth both personal and brand before I can ever hope to get help in this. But the players alone make it worth the effort. Thanks for the support. Oh, and forgive me for taking so long with the tournament, Sayah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom