• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Played VF with the megadrive collection and 4 and 5 very casually.
First time i saw 5 on ps3 it blew my mind with how good it looked.
Looking forward to 6.

MikeMyers

Megadrive collection? You mean the 16-bit version of VF2? Oh man, that was something. Gotta try the 32-bit version though.

It'd be like playing Tekken 3 only through the GBA version and not the Arcade/PSX version.

MikeMyers

I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen Tekken on the Vita seeing as the franchise is usually mostly associated with PlayStation.

SFxT doesn't count!

Numb

No wonder every vid of VF 2 and 3 looked way way better.

Tekken 6 on vita is probably my most played game on that system. Been waiting for Revolution and Tag 2 on it since forever.

Very interesting stream by Speedkicks today. Playing ranked on Xbox, and challenging the chat to break down the mentality of his opponents actions/decisions after each match. Assigning points to whoever is closest (based on his own interpretation). It's still going on now, but won't be very helpful archived since all of the discussion is in chat.

Btw if anyone wants a Rising Thunder key I have a couple extra.

Gambit61

Very interesting stream by Speedkicks today. Playing ranked on Xbox, and challenging the chat to break down the mentality of his opponents actions/decisions after each match. Assigning points to whoever is closest (based on his own interpretation). It's still going on now, but won't be very helpful archived since all of the discussion is in chat.

Btw if anyone wants a Rising Thunder key I have a couple extra.

Yeah I was watching, it was pretty cool. I hope he does it again. As for the chat, give this a try. It has worked well for me in adding back chat to VOD/archived twitch footage.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rechat-for-twitch/ipplilmaapjjklilmmaccfemdmhkoacd?hl=en

Not sure if posted, but.....

Tekken Summer Campaign Customizations.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2015/7/28/tekken-7-summer-campaign-now-in-effect.html

tk7_fzknayks.png

tk7_hdkawtg.png

tk7_iknarsgt.png

tk7_ragli.png

Everyone is tan, especially Lili. Looks like they are going after DOA5 and VF5:FS.

Dereck

Yeah I was watching, it was pretty cool. I hope he does it again. As for the chat, give this a try. It has worked well for me in adding back chat to VOD/archived twitch footage.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rechat-for-twitch/ipplilmaapjjklilmmaccfemdmhkoacd?hl=en
Thank you very much Gambit.

This makes missing out on live streams no longer an issue.

It'll get awkward though when I want to type into a chat room that is artificial.

Catch the anakin stream from yesterday

sasuke_91

Not sure if posted, but.....

Tekken Summer Campaign Customizations.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2015/7/28/tekken-7-summer-campaign-now-in-effect.html

Everyone is tan, especially Lili. Looks like they are going after DOA5 and VF5:FS.

This looks like Miharu's outfit in Tag 2. Tekken girls look stupid tanned.

Good games Doomshine, SquirrelSoup and Numb. That was a pretty long session (the longest I had in weeks).
You missed the other player unfortunately, Numb. He was a really good Nina/Anna player. I thought after playing Sayah no Williams player would ever make me rage so hard, but he managed to do so :D
Everything launches...

Numb

Glad i didn't meet him if he was as crazy as Sayah. I can't handle Nina no matter what.
Haven't been playing much and that was a nice long session.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's just a shame Dr. B never got one. I mean, well, he did, but that's not the style I'm talking about.

CSX

I just wanna say Tekken Crash is giving me much joy right now.

Nin and his buddy doing commentary is still hype as fuck even if you dont understand lol

And that final match yesterday between Hankuma and Choksae holy ballllsss

Hey Tekken GAF, this is my first post here but I have been lurking in this topic for a while!

I had a nostalgia wave earlier and wanted to see if anyone else remembers. Way back in the 90s and post-tekken 3, I remember as a kid I used to search for Tekken CG art. One day I stumbled across these Tekken 4 concepts. They were clearly all fake (with hindsight) but they have stayed with me all these years.

The rumoured characters included an Ogre-Jin, a Cyborg undead version of Paul Phoenix, Nialva Gordo (daughter of Eddy and Nina), and I believe there was also a young female Mishima (though the name escapes me).

Don't suppose any fellow old timers can remember all this too?!

Sayah

I'm taking a temporary break from fighting games and focusing on Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Dueslit instead.

If you are or were a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh, I would say this is a pretty good game. The menus are sleek/smooth, presentation is amazing, AI is smart, story campaign nicely goes over the main and spinoff series, no paid DLC for cards you want, automated system works pretty flawlessly, and it's not that difficult to get the type of custom deck you want. I love this game so far and I haven't even started playing online ranking and player matches.

Gonna make sure my deck is perfection before I go online, lol. It's annoying I have to buy PS+ for PS4.

More matches, with blackfyre__

Wow. Game doesn't look this good on my TV screen. lol.

AAK

Hey Tekken GAF, this is my first post here but I have been lurking in this topic for a while!

I had a nostalgia wave earlier and wanted to see if anyone else remembers. Way back in the 90s and post-tekken 3, I remember as a kid I used to search for Tekken CG art. One day I stumbled across these Tekken 4 concepts. They were clearly all fake (with hindsight) but they have stayed with me all these years.

The rumoured characters included an Ogre-Jin, a Cyborg undead version of Paul Phoenix, Nialva Gordo (daughter of Eddy and Nina), and I believe there was also a young female Mishima (though the name escapes me).

Don't suppose any fellow old timers can remember all this too?!

I would have really been a sucker for this stuff but I only started scavenging everything Tekken on the internet around 2004-2005. That sounds even before my time so it doesn't ring a bell.

The best fake in the Tekken community since I started following was Proxicide's masterpieces

Heihachi in T5 before his time release:

heihachi.jpg

Kunimitsu for DR:

T5DR-Kuni.jpg

TTT2:

]
TTT2-vs.jpg

TTT2-gameplay0.jpg
TTT2-gameplayA.jpg

TTT2-RavenTwins-VS.jpg
TTT2-RavenTwins-Begin.jpg
TTT2-RavenTwins-Battle.jpg

TTT2-GreatUnknown-VS.jpg
TTT2-GreatUnknown-Battle.jpg

TTT2-OmegaHei-VS.jpg
TTT2-Scene-Crucified.jpg
TTT2-Scene-Anger.jpg

TTT2-OmegaHei-Begin.jpg
TTT2-OmegaHei-Battle.jpg
TTT2-Scene-GameOver.jpg

3v3 Tekken... if only :'(

Maybe MarkMan or ZTS would know. They precede me by a lot and might have come accross it when Tekken Zaibatsu was the hub for the Tekken community. But yeah man welcome to the Tekken OT, enjoy the company of the fine gentleman in this thread :)

sasuke_91

WHY WOULD XIAOYU GET CRUCIFIED?! D:

Yesterday was my last exam, so I have more time now *yay*
By the way, GrayFoxPL should be back in about 2 months, shouldn't he?

Do you guys also have these phases where you play like shit and you don't even know why? I try to concentrate and fail even harder. I just stopped playing for today because it frustrates me too much.

Here's a little confession: I have never in my life played a Metal Gear Solid game. I always wanted to get into the series, but I didn't do it for some reason. Now that MGS V is right around the corner, I was like "fuck it" and decided to play MGS 4, so I borrowed it from a friend. I had to read up the story before though, so I searched for a recap or something and watched a few videos.
I always knew MGS' story was kind of convoluted and confusing, so I was prepared. The story is amazing though. I fell in love without even playing any of these games and was so hyped to try out MGS 4.
I came to one realization though in the first 15 minutes of the game... You see, I always play games on the hardest or one of the hardest difficulties because it forces you to get good at the game, but I never realized that I sucked this much at stealth games. I can't hide. Killing every single enemy would be too hard though, so I'm kind of stuck at the beginning of the game... Playing the game on Hard might have been a mistake o_O

Numb

I always play the same way i do unless im sleepy.

MGSV gonna the best. The story is crazy but you gotta love the madness.
Playing a stealth game on hard can get annoying sometimes. I always play on normal except Platinum games where i play again on harder modes.

AAK

Oh man Sasuka you're replaying MGS too??

I'm gonna replay MGS4 myself to recap the story. I'll hopefully start this Friday and then eventually start Peace Walker as well. I always wanted to play that game co op with someone but I don't know anybody else LOL.

But a lot of the enjoyment from Metal Gear Solid comes from the presentation and delivery of the cutscenes. Kojima is just a genius when it comes to having those experiences leave an everlasting impression compared to any other series centered on a hand-crafted narrative thus far. There are also so many sequences in games where Kojima tries to involve the player by breaking the fourth wall that just adds to the gripping experience. Unfortunately the pacing does end up taking a lot of hits because of this :(

About the difficulty, there are actually a lot of hints you can get by calling up people using the codec (but not so much in MGS4). By interrogating other guards you can learn some pretty nifty tricks that make the experience so much easier. When I found out that you could blow up the food storages in MGS3 it made the game so much easier since the enemies would be famished and I could lay rotten food traps around to take them out without arousing any suspicion. Another thing I recommend is to practice the CQC techniques in the virtual reality range so that you can execute what you want when you eventually start playing. I try to kill as few guards as possible and just keep them incapacitated and the CQC abilities play a huge role.

I haven't played MGS4 since 2009 but I'll be joining you soon. And stick with Hard Mode, it makes the experience of completing the game that much worth it.

I also pre-ordered MGSV paying the full $75 for it here in Canada... the only time I'm doing it because MGS is one series that I will shell out the money for to experience the whole thing first hand with no spoilers. I'm actually going in blind since I managed to avoid most of the trailers so I can't wait :)

sasuke_91

I always play the same way i do unless im sleepy.

MGSV gonna the best. The story is crazy but you gotta love the madness.
Playing a stealth game on hard can get annoying sometimes. I always play on normal except Platinum games where i play again on harder modes.

I wish that was true for me too. I have a new playstyle everyday. Sometimes I'm aggressive as hell and my opponent can't catch up, sometimes I have some crazy defense and kill Orange and Red ranks and there's days like this where I can't block a single Snake Edge or Dragon Tail and get launched while dashing in :/

MGS' story is crazy, but I love stories like that. I was really surprised when I got to know that Snake in MGS 3 and Peace Walker (Big Boss) is not the same as in the other games (Solid Snake). I always thought you play the same person in every title.

Oh man Sasuka you're replaying MGS too??

I'm gonna replay MGS4 myself to recap the story. I'll hopefully start this Friday and then eventually start Peace Walker as well. I always wanted to play that game co op with someone but I don't know anybody else LOL.

But a lot of the enjoyment from Metal Gear Solid comes from the presentation and delivery of the cutscenes. Kojima is just a genius when it comes to having those experiences leave an everlasting impression compared to any other series centered on a hand-crafted narrative thus far. There are also so many sequences in games where Kojima tries to involve the player by breaking the fourth wall that just adds to the gripping experience. Unfortunately the pacing does end up taking a lot of hits because of this :(

About the difficulty, there are actually a lot of hints you can get by calling up people using the codec (but not so much in MGS4). By interrogating other guards you can learn some pretty nifty tricks that make the experience so much easier. When I found out that you could blow up the food storages in MGS3 it made the game so much easier since the enemies would be famished and I could lay rotten food traps around to take them out without arousing any suspicion. Another thing I recommend is to practice the CQC techniques in the virtual reality range so that you can execute what you want when you eventually start playing. I try to kill as few guards as possible and just keep them incapacitated and the CQC abilities play a huge role.

I haven't played MGS4 since 2009 but I'll be joining you soon. And stick with Hard Mode, it makes the experience of completing the game that much worth it.

I also pre-ordered MGSV paying the full $75 for it here in Canada... the only time I'm doing it because MGS is one series that I will shell out the money for to experience the whole thing first hand with no spoilers. I'm actually going in blind since I managed to avoid most of the trailers so I can't wait :)

"Replaying" would be the wrong word I guess :D

For a moment there, I thought you meant MGS 4 had co op.

I didn't even know about interrogating guards or other techniques in this game. I'll try that out.
As I said, I'm still stuck at the beginning, but I'll try to figure it out and maybe you'll have a new MGS fanboy in this thread after I complete the game :)

AAK

There is just so many things you can do in MGS. And in MGS4 you can instigate battles between the arabs and the PMC's letting the arabs fight and distract the enemies for you. Act 1 in MGS4 is IMO the best single player experience from the PS3 generation. So many cool things you can.

The controls definitely take a long time to get accustomed to. I also died and got caught soooo many times in my first few playthroughs in every MGS game. But once you begin to understand the various mechanics and tools you have at your disposal it becomes much easier. I also forgot you get to use Otacon's robot (I think it was called the MKII) to help you out too within the first hour or so of the game. So even though certain situations can appear to be hopeless without getting caught, you just have a look at your arsenal and a solution will eventually come up. It's one of the reasons playing on Hard is worth it for the MGS series since it forces you to take advantage of the different options the game presents.

sasuke_91

@AAK: I'll definitely stick with hard if you say so. As I said, the hardest difficulties force you to get to know the games's mechanics and make use of everything the game has to offer. Normal difficulty nowadays always has an "easy way" of dealing with certain situations.

AAK

I also recommend you at least watch all the boss fight fights and the corresponding dialogue that went with them to make the most out of Metal Gear Solid 4.

The best thing IMO is to watch the cutscenes. There is a portion of MGS4 that will exponentially amplify your enjoyment of that section if you do ;)

Screw it, I'm gonna modify my avatar to include MGSV within it :p

AAK

^^^
How I feel whenever there is a discussion about Zelda, Silent Hill, Metroid, and all the PS1 JRPG's.

But even then, MGS still has a very special aspect about it where the entirety of the mainline series is under the complete control & vision of one man who had free reigns and a near unlimited budget to fulfill that vision. But after playing this series, it's also evident KojiPro has some of the most talented artists, coders, game designers, and testers in the business.

Really do feel fortunate to be alive in a state of humanity where I got to experience this series as it happened. Might sound like extreme hyperbole but to me MGS is hands down one of the greatest pieces of entertainment media in history.

^^^
How I feel whenever there is a discussion about Zelda, Silent Hill, Metroid, and all the PS1 JRPG's.

But even then, MGS still has a very special aspect about it where the entirety of the mainline series is under the complete control & vision of one man who had free reigns and a near unlimited budget to fulfill that vision. But after playing this series, it's also evident KojiPro has some of the most talented artists, coders, game designers, and testers in the business.

Really do feel fortunate to be alive in a state of humanity where I got to experience this series as it happened. Might sound like extreme hyperbole but to me MGS is hands down one of the greatest pieces of entertainment media in history.

I can't really talk about Nintendo in general myself. Last console I owned from them was the SNES and that was mainly the MK console.

I liked what I've seen of MGS games throughout the years, I just never got into them because I was stuck in my Square JRPG rut through childhood.

Looking to get into it when the Legacy Collection is cheaper.

^^^

200.gif

No hyperbole. More like the legitimate truth. It's great to see another MGS4 fan. I thought I was the only individual on NEOGAF that really loved and enjoyed MGS4. People love to ridicule it for whatever reason, but I agree that it is a bonafide masterpiece that needs to be experienced by everyone who is even remotely into entertainment in any shape or form. When I was first introduced to the Beauty and Beast Unit, I knew we had an instant classic in my hands. I will never forget that adrenaline rush I felt when I fought Laughing Octopus and heard that music. Good times.

sasuke_91

I also recommend you at least watch all the boss fight fights and the corresponding dialogue that went with them to make the most out of Metal Gear Solid 4.

The best thing IMO is to watch the cutscenes. There is a portion of MGS4 that will exponentially amplify your enjoyment of that section if you do ;)

Screw it, I'm gonna modify my avatar to include MGSV within it :p
I wanted to play all MGS games at some point though, so I don't know if that's a good idea.

And damn, sorry AAK, but I reaaally suck at this game :(
Do you remember the part right before you get the MkII? That's where I couldn't move forward anymore. I didn't see the enemy, but the enemy saw me as soon as I moved a limb. At the end I just sprinted through the last part of the level and felt bad for it. Now I got the MkII and am stuck again.
I thought shooters were the only games I'm hopelessly bad at. I went through the CQC techniques before continuing to play, but it doesn't really make a difference because it's meant to be used against one enemy at a time. No idea how to seperate them.
Maybe it'll click for me at some point, but right now this is just too frustrating. I'll continue to play this game, bzt it'll take weeks to complete it xD

AAK

Here is the first gameplay demonstration Kojima demoed to the world. Have a look at it to see the different ways of going about the battlefield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6DAr9YXdf8

But yeah, maybe MGS4 could be overwhelming for a newcomer without the radar from MGS1 & MGS2. Maybe going with normal mode might make it more fun for this version and then go with hard mode for MGSV when you eventually play it.

sasuke_91

That's the part I was stuck at. There were a lot more enemies though and I didn't have the equipment and weapons he was using.
I tried some of the things you could see in the demo already, but it didn't work out the way it did there. Maybe I did somethibg wrong o.o
MkII being able to stun an enemy could come in handy.

Thank you for the video. That was very helpful :)

If anyone wants to play Tekken in ~10 minutes, I'm Online right now.

sasuke_91

Good games Numb, Doomshine and GrayFoxPL.

Too bad your connection was so bad today, Numb. Combos were dropped everytime and you couldn't even reenter the lobby at the end. This happens though, we normally get a very good connection.
GrayFoxPL doing weird stuff with Lars. I hate that guy so much xD Your Paul, Steve and Kazuya were really good though.
Doomshine enters the scene and kills everyone. You're still EU TekkenGAF's best player if you ask me (or Fraeon, I don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom