• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

sasuke_91, you are welcome. Here are some more material to continue learning.
My personal playlist of videos related to improvement in Tekken and games in general - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAYYe_GHgX6D-QOh_2en5FC9HkGPS7v01
A very fascinating article that primary deals with designing competitive games, but you can take so much from it as a competitor - http://www.sirlin.net/articles/solvability
Another article that answers some questions the solve one leaves, http://gamedesignadvance.com/?p=2346

I almost in a way never want to become a top player, because I enjoy the surprise I get from the learning process. That said, Fingers To Fight Tekken Tag 2 Online Tournament 22 has been uploaded to Youtube. - https://youtu.be/f1XBX62AI94?list=PLAYYe_GHgX6CCAjC3TuQHajY2Kj1zH1jO

Also, Fingers To Fight Tekken Tag 2 Online Tournament 23 signups have been posted. - http://fingerstofight.challonge.com/f2f23
I have to work this Saturday, so the tournament will be on August 22nd. A little sad that I haven't been able to run every week without a hitch, but it really is one man behind the curtain. I need far more growth both personal and brand before I can ever hope to get help in this. But the players alone make it worth the effort. Thanks for the support. Oh, and forgive me for taking so long with the tournament, Sayah.

It's not your fault the tournament ran so long man.
That's just how it is.
If you could do some matches off-stream, that might speed things up. Of course, you have to rely on the honesty of people then.

In the last tournament, two guys were already going at each other and demanding a rematch because of lag. So I don't know how good or bad it will be for you to do some matches off-stream to make it run faster but you can maybe give it a try once?

As superb as that setup looks. I am happy that Tekken 7 almost completely removes it. Why? You know you have a harsh trap in your game when the lesson to avoid it is never really fulfilled by anyone. Backrolling is understood to be bad in almost every scenario, but it is the unconsciously default wake-up in Tekken. The game always feels like it cheated you, because as a knowledged player you never choose backroll, it chooses you. Backroll is a punishment for unconsciously holding guard after you were hit. Which sounds fine in theory, but not a single player has shown to never fall for what should be a rookie mistake.

DEATH™

As superb as that setup looks. I am happy that Tekken 7 almost completely removes it. Why? You know you have a harsh trap in your game when the lesson to avoid it is never really fulfilled by anyone. Backrolling is understood to be bad in almost every scenario, but it is the unconsciously default wake-up in Tekken. The game always feels like it cheated you, because as a knowledged player you never choose backroll, it chooses you. Backroll is a punishment for unconsciously holding guard after you were hit. Which sounds fine in theory, but not a single player has shown to never fall for what should be a rookie mistake.

The problem isn't the setup, the problem is backrolling input having the most intuitive input out there compared to other wakeup options (hence the backroll chooses you). Look, do you see people in T7 uses toe kick alot despite how good it is right now?

P.S. Bout that setup was so fine...

sasuke_91

Nowadays I've learned a few things, King players that I've played are rarely trying to do chain throws, what King players are usually focusing on are Giant Swings, and that means that I usually focus on breaking 1 throws against them. It's probably a shitty strategy, but it's a much better one than thinking (hopefully he won't throw me), of course he will, and if he doesn't, he's throwing away a clear advantage.

Against the wall, people like to do command throws, they want the wall splat, so when I'm against the wall, I'm just waiting for the opponent to grab me, and when I say wait, I don't mean I'm just standing there, I mean that I'm blocking, trying to sidestep away from the wall, and if they manage to land a grab, sometimes it's gonna be 1+2.

People I've played against aren't that clever with their grab patterns, some people just want to get past your defense, and they're kind of hasty and eager, so they'll throw out a 1 throw usually because it requires the least amount of thinking. If someone is riding your dick, basically giving you mouth to mouth CPR while standing up, they're probably gonna grab you, especially if you're defense is solid. Throws can be inconvenient but they become less inconvenient if you can react to them. I don't always break throws, but I always react to them, the moment I get thrown, I'm mashing either 1+2, or one of those buttons.

This is exactly how I do it, too. People I play against often go for 2 throws for whatever reason, so I'm always prepared to break a 2 throw. Seeing which hand comes first and break the throw accordingly? You gotta be kidding me :p

vs. Drum-EFX and JustFrameNope

S E T U P B O Y Z

Gettin' REKT by blue ranks, if you're not familiar with Nope, he streams, you can check out his archive here where he DMs The Game.

First 5 matches, you won 3 times against Drum-EFX and lost twice against JFN. I don't know what "getting REKT" means for you :p
That setup was really cool by the way. I guess everyone falls for those resets once in a while.

ggs Sasuke, Grayfox, Doomshine. Man, i got mauled by everyone today. ^.^;

GGs guys. Sorry I had to close the lobby so suddenly, I really had to go.
Your Zafina has improved! I still think you should play Tag though. Playing solo in this game seems so weird for me.

By the way, I almost got Ling promoted to Warrior earlier. Of course I had to lose that fight and 4 after that, so promo is far away again :/

lupinko

So you guys probably already know that they brought swimsuits to tekken 7. And you now have the option of buying those in addition to the special costumes, but like idol master, shit is still randomized.

Dereck

So you guys probably already know that they brought swimsuits to tekken 7. And you now have the option of buying those in addition to the special costumes, but like idol master, shit is still randomized.
You deserve a free copy of T7 whenever it comes out for all of this money you've been spending on the arcade version.

Numb

Never even thought of a Dark Soul(s) Calibur with DS bosses as guests till ATP podcast brought it up. Sounds like a great idea that could boost the next SC game alot if done. But this is Namco tho. Will be lucky if we even get regular SC with a weird and unwanted guest like usual. Star Wars was cool.

Sayah

Never even thought of a Dark Soul(s) Calibur with DS bosses as guests till ATP podcast brought it up. Sounds like a great idea that could boost the next SC game alot if done. But this is Namco tho. Will be lucky if we even get regular SC with a weird and unwanted guest like usual. Star Wars was cool.

I talked about this a while ago.

A Dark Souls Calibur would be a dream come true.

Numb

I talked about this a while ago.

A Dark Souls Calibur would be a dream come true.

Lol i didn't remember that and that i posted in it. I was thinking Bayo before i even saw my post. I don't know why i want Bayo in everything but i do.
Still waiting for Wonder Red and Bayo in Smash.

There are so many Dark souls characters that could be in it is super exciting. Any of the human sized bosses and even some of the NPCs like the black knights and whatnot. Ofcourse the Sony side would have some BB stuff too.
Do it Namco you bastards.

I've liked the recent ones in 4 and 5.

This seems like a no brainer for souls characters , so they won't do it. I have wanted it for a while.

I still want Guts or D as guest characters, or for them to make a full star wars fighting game.

Numb

I've liked the recent ones in 4 and 5.

This seems like a no brainer for souls characters , so they won't do it. I have wanted it for a while.

I still want Guts or D as guest characters, or for them to make a full star wars fighting game.

4243405-brofist.gif

They made Raf look like D that i wondered why Oh why they didnt just put him in.
And i could make Sieg look like Guts alittle but i would have them so much.

Not a fan of AssCreed so that guest just bummed me out and i got tired of Kratos in fighting games even though he fit in SC more than the others with his weapons.
Link i never got to play.

4243405-brofist.gif

They made Raf look like D that i wondered why Oh why they didnt just put him in.
And i could make Sieg look like Guts alittle but i would have them so much.

Not a fan of AssCreed so that guest just bummed me out and i got tired of Kratos in fighting games even though he fit in SC more than the others with his weapons.
Link i never got to play.

Yea, Raf is getting close in tone of looks. But i think they could do cool stuff with his long sword and the symbiotic hand. Plus D just looks cooler, heh.

I know Sieg has the big sword already, but Guts could be more aggressive i think with his design. And i wish Sieg had a default knights armor outfit that was more detailed with full headgear. Just more damn knightly.

It would be cool if they pulled somebody from sam shodown as well, especially since snk getting the new owners.

I havr been watching alot of wuxia movies lately and there is tons they can pull from there as well.

Numb

Dang there could still be time. I just thought it was a matter of time before Guts would be involved. I don't know where to watch the movies but ive been reading a bunch of wuxia and xianxia chinese mangas and wouldnt mind some stuff from there.

Where should i check the movies? Wanna watch em and if you could recommend some.

lupinko

You deserve a free copy of T7 whenever it comes out for all of this money you've been spending on the arcade version.

Thanks! We should get Harada to do this for me, let's go TekkenGAF! :D

TRdmiGY.png

Uaf9Vmr.png

Im@s
s5Kyw8z.png

u86O2tG.png

nKS8rRT.png

I just need Chloe now, I did get three doubles but I sold those for a ton of gold.

Sayah

Thank god they've been prioritizing the most important, fan-requested customizations. I don't know who could have lived with a Tekken that didn't have ice-cream cone wielding fighters.

hahahahaha
They're doing a lot of things wrong with this game. But once you play it, it's all forgotten. It's just very fun to play and land hits.

But they definitely better provide the option for us to only view online opponent characters in the default, non-customized costumes. Tekken 6 didn't have this problem and I never would have thought about requesting such a feature for Tekken 6.

But Tekken 7 is completely basing its customization system off of Tekken Tag 2, which has extremely silly items with option to turn them into bright, flashing colors that hurt my eyes.

I gave that to Lili.

Are you using Lili now?

lupinko

Are you using Lili now?

I will be soon. Any strats or good players I should shadow?

9Yyoyiul.jpg

87Ir4VTl.jpg

It was worth it. I just need LC to complete the set.

I got the ice cream via the summer promo and the DJ custom via random lotto ticket.

Lol my character playing decisions are motivated by my customs. :/

Dang there could still be time. I just thought it was a matter of time before Guts would be involved. I don't know where to watch the movies but ive been reading a bunch of wuxia and xianxia chinese mangas and wouldnt mind some stuff from there.

Where should i check the movies? Wanna watch em and if you could recommend some.

I've recenty watched Brotherhood of Blades, the new stephen chow journey to the west, Kundo: Age of Rampant (which I don't think is really Wuxia and is Korean I think, but still cool). All Netflix.

There's the good older known stuff, Crouching Tiger (one of my favorite movies of all time), Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Seven Swords, Reign of assassins.

I haven't watched all I have wanted and I have missed some classics. I am trying to get through this list. http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/20-essential-films-for-an-introduction-to-the-wuxia-genre/

I would watch the Sword of the Stranger anime as well. And I still watch Ninja Scroll and Rurouni Kenshin like once a year, haha.

And this sounds weird, but I wouldn't mind a standard fantasy (LoTR) pretty boy, smug asshole elf in the game.

lupinko

http://www.coolweirdo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/kill-it-with-fire.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Uh ok, interesting to see what you think of the costume on Katarina, but I personally think the idolmaster costumes on eight of the nine female characters (too bad for Leo) look fantastic and are a pretty neat premium that is only a limited available option (this campaign ends on the 19th). I say that too as someone who doesn't give a shit about idolmaster, yet Harada ended up winning me over on this Tekken x idolmaster collaboration.

Sayah

Uh ok, interesting to see what you think of the costume on Katarina, but I personally think the idolmaster costumes on eight of the nine female characters (too bad for Leo) look fantastic and are a pretty neat premium that is only a limited available option (this campaign ends on the 19th). I say that too as someone who doesn't give a shit about idolmaster, yet Harada ended up winning me over on this Tekken x idolmaster collaboration.

I think Katarina has this more "mature, kick-ass female" personality and the "cute idolmaster" stuff maybe doesn't suit her? But on the other characters, it looks nice.

Either way, the costume isn't that bad either that you have to kill it with fire. :p

I will be soon. Any strats or good players I should shadow?

It was worth it. I just need LC to complete the set.

I got the ice cream via the summer promo and the DJ custom via random lotto ticket.

Lol my character playing decisions are motivated by my customs. :/

Kane is the only good Lili player I know but I'm sure there's others.

Numb

I've recenty watched Brotherhood of Blades, the new stephen chow journey to the west, Kundo: Age of Rampant (which I don't think is really Wuxia and is Korean I think, but still cool). All Netflix.

There's the good older known stuff, Crouching Tiger (one of my favorite movies of all time), Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Seven Swords, Reign of assassins.

I haven't watched all I have wanted and I have missed some classics. I am trying to get through this list. http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/20-essential-films-for-an-introduction-to-the-wuxia-genre/

I would watch the Sword of the Stranger anime as well. And I still watch Ninja Scroll and Rurouni Kenshin like once a year, haha.

And this sounds weird, but I wouldn't mind a standard fantasy (LoTR) pretty boy, smug asshole elf in the game.

Thx. Watched more of those i thought. Will the list out.

Dereck

Warning: lots of gifs.

We're back to solo Tekken, and the combos seem the same when it comes to length. You could do a combo similar to this in Tekken 6, not the same combo, but a similar one that includes a bound/wall carry, into a wall combo. Tekken outsiders usually say they quit Tekken when Tekken 6 came out because the combos were too long, well, they were really long in Tag 2, and now, they aren't shorter, they're just back into the same vein of Tekken 6.

TRPi84f.gif

vcz49ou.gif
To me, this kind of combo is the absolute most I'm willing to tolerate in a solo game, in Tag 2, the excuse was that there were combos that involved two people. The wall breaks/floor breaks/and balcony breaks were cool when you got to use them with two people.

GPfVyCe.gif

kxD3kYZ.gif
Now, we're back to a mainline Tekken, and the balcony breaks work similarly. I'm not gonna get into if they're exactly the same as Tag 2 or not, because I don't know but, guys, I think this is just..ugly. It's wack, because the first combo is long already, so if it's gonna break the balcony, why would the character bounce back up into the air like a basketball? To continue the combo, right, but, outside of that reason, it puts more wait time into that combo. This balcony break in particular is short, and because it's short, it's passable I guess, but this is unacceptable to me.

aT7i5Ct.gif
It's cool, yeah, it's creative, yeah. In Tekken I do notice that a lot of the combos are DIY, and that's really cool. I enjoyed that aspect in Tekken. When I see stuff like this, I can't help but think it's a little silly. The opponent got knocked off the balcony, so that creates a minor stage transition, OK. The opponent pops back into the air after hitting the ground, impractical, but it's a game mechanic. Then, the combo continues into the wall, and the guy gets wall splat, and the combo still isn't done, there is more combo to be done if the person wants to. Then, a super? Isn't that a little much? No, like I'm asking, I want you guys to weigh in on this, and try to separate yourself from being a Tekken fan, and try to answer this as an observer of the match.

Warning, I'm not trying to star a Dead or Alive war, I'm just using this as an example. This is cool as shit, it's cinematic, it makes sense. The opponent gets knocked off the "balcony", the other character jumps off after, the opponent takes fall damage, and then she gets up, and then, they continue the match. Pretty short and to the point right? Once again, I'm asking you guys, so feel free to say what you think.

UippKmB.gif

That ruin stage in Tekken 7 is trash, because firstly, it has three floors, with the first two looking dull as hell, nothing creative or aesthetically intriguing about it, it's just a ruin. The first two floors look the same, why are there floors like this in a ruin though?

ia2r1t0.png

I don't know how I feel about floor breaks just yet, but in this stage, they seem arbitrary. They are just there because "more combos and stuff", and that's it. This is ugly too, after a grab brehs? A grab? C'mon son

s8BXhgq.gif

And, look at that, not only did the character bounce back into the air, she's back turned and upside down.

This combo, is pretty long like the combo I posted before, but what makes it longer is the floor break, and it's ugly once again, especially even more so because it happened before the tailspin.

MpMntMp.gif

Thoughts?

I don't really have an opinion on the asthetics of juggling; many people say it's ugly and a turn-off from the game (and similar games like Virtua Fighter), so do whatever you want with that because I don't actually care about it.

As far as the combo length goes, Tekken 7 did kind of address this. What's being seen in these gifs are largely 100% optimal damage combos, maxing out those extra percents of damage with long juggles. What makes T7 different from T6 is you don't need to do these optimal juggles to also deal considerable combo damage. So this does in fact work in the benefit of players who complained about having to learn long juggles to compete, because now you don't. You just get I dunno, 40% damage combo instead of 47%.

It doesn't fix the problem of the newer player being discouraged that they are being juggled to death (seemingly) endlessly by good players, but at the very least now they can get off the ground without much fear of getting re-comboed again. That, and the matches being super quick and not a waste of your time. :)

Sayah

Man, seeing Tekken 7 compared right next to Tekken 6 is showing how much better the character modeling was in Tekken 6.

On-topic: I am honestly fine with the combo length. But it is kind of not visually appealing seeing the character hit the opponents legs/feet throughout the entirety of the combo (for most combos). But I guess that doesn't matter when your gameplay system is soooooo good.

Numb

RIP Sayah. You tried in that thread. Hope the ban ain't long. TekkenGAF getting got.
I usually just avoid ISIS and Islam threads cos i know i'll just feel bad for many reasons.

AZUMIKE

Another day, another member gets not so fairly banned by GAF mods.

I think it really depends what one construes as "fair". Quite honestly I saw some conversations in the thread degenerate pretty quickly. Whether we're talking about Tekken or ISIS, courtesy is needed on forums, especially GAF lol.

sasuke_91

RIP Sayah. You tried in that thread. Hope the ban ain't long. TekkenGAF getting got.
I usually just avoid ISIS and Islam threads cos i know i'll just feel bad for many reasons.
I had some bad experience with discussions on forums about Islam and topics like the caliphate in general way before ISIS was wrecking shit. I try to stay away from discussions like now that more than ever.

That being said, Sayah being banned is unjustified :(

My thoughts on GAF's moderation methods would most likely get me perm'd so I'll refrain from laying into them.

Roxen I know you are reading this buddy. Don't let the ban get to you. Having red in your name on GAF does not make you right or moraly superior. It just means you've spent way too much time on this website.

All of Tekken GAF misses you & I can't wait till you come back. Till then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom