• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

TekkenGAF? He doesn't care about us now that he has his Yo-gi-ohs. Proabably wanted the ban to spend more time on it. I bet he is singing the theme song right now :)

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Haven't been in here for awhile, just wanted to offer my condolences for Sayah. Here's hoping he's not gone for too long.

I think it really depends what one construes as "fair". Quite honestly I saw some conversations in the thread degenerate pretty quickly. Whether we're talking about Tekken or ISIS, courtesy is needed on forums, especially GAF lol.

His rebuttal isn't any more scathing than most "call outs". He just called out the wrong guy, sadly.

Uh ok, interesting to see what you think of the costume on Katarina, but I personally think the idolmaster costumes on eight of the nine female characters (too bad for Leo) look fantastic and are a pretty neat premium that is only a limited available option (this campaign ends on the 19th). I say that too as someone who doesn't give a shit about idolmaster, yet Harada ended up winning me over on this Tekken x idolmaster collaboration.

Hahaha, no don't get me wrong, I don't mind the costumes. It's just that particular picture you took. Her head looks super tiny, her body massive, the hair ugly and shoddily modeled and the idolmaster get-up unflattering (on her). Looks good on the usual suspects, though, as expected.

I can already see Namco showing the first footage of Nina in TK7 while Sayah is temp banned... the irony.
Of course I hope he'll be back in time for her reveal.
Or do I...

lol of course I do. We'd be missing out on some quality Nina discussion and analysis with him not being present for the imminent reveal.

lupinko

Hahaha, no don't get me wrong, I don't mind the costumes. It's just that particular picture you took. Her head looks super tiny, her body massive, the hair ugly and shoddily modeled and the idolmaster get-up unflattering (on her). Looks good on the usual suspects, though, as expected.

I can already see Namco showing the first footage of Nina in TK7 while Sayah is temp banned... the irony.
Of course I hope he'll be back in time for her reveal.
Or do I...

lol of course I do. We'd be missing out on some quality Nina discussion and analysis with him not being present for the imminent reveal.

Fair enough, it's hard to take screenshots when I'm trying to play so unfortunately the angles aren't that great. :/

Sucks that Sayah got banned.

And to Sayah, I agree about Katarina and the im@s costumes, but it really does look good on her ingame regardless. It's probably my favorite now, unless I get something better. The ranger and bikini getups are nice too.

Fair enough, it's hard to take screenshots when I'm trying to play so unfortunately the angles aren't that great. :/

Sucks that Sayah got banned.

And to Sayah, I agree about Katarina and the im@s costumes, but it really does look good on her ingame regardless. It's probably my favorite now, unless I get something better. The ranger and bikini getups are nice too.

Only on that one. Your steady supply of screenshots is MUCH appreciated!!!!

av2k

Damn, Sayah has earned points in my book. Wish I was that brave, I respect that he didn't censor or flinch in the face of someone who could ban him, made the other side look childish. Fight the machine!

AZUMIKE

So after getting bodied in the SFV beta, I realized yet again how fighting games require patience and dedication...

However, at this point in my life, I'm not too concerned about learning the ins and outs of SFV. I didn't play SFIII or SFIV all that much, and I'm not inclined to dedicate myself to this upcoming title.

Tekken is different story. I grew up playing Tekken, and I've invested a bit more in the series. So, I'm pondering whether to just stick to Tekken when it comes to fighters. TekkenGAF, do you mainly stick to Tekken or do you branch out to other fighters? If you branch out, how do you think it relates to your ability to play Tekken?

P.S- Here's what PR Balrog says on the matter:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...cusses-dangerous-spreading-yourself-too-thin/

lupinko

So for the summer promo I got a free premium costume.

4h1R3UA.png

The RNG hates me, and it won't give me Chloe for idolmaster, but I did get over 4
million gold and orbs, so I have like over 8 million gold right now.

I'll try again tomorrow morning for Chloe but if I don't get it then whatever. It's not bad because the idolmaster costumes when resold are 750,000G a piece, so they're the most premium currently.

So after getting bodied in the SFV beta, I realized yet again how fighting games require patience and dedication...

However, at this point in my life, I'm not too concerned about learning the ins and outs of SFV. I didn't play SFIII or SFIV all that much, and I'm not inclined to dedicate myself to this upcoming title.

Tekken is different story. I grew up playing Tekken, and I've invested a bit more in the series. So, I'm pondering whether to just stick to Tekken when it comes to fighters. TekkenGAF, do you mainly stick to Tekken or do you branch out to other fighters? If you branch out, how do you think it relates to your ability to play Tekken?

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...cusses-dangerous-spreading-yourself-too-thin/
I do branch out to KOF and the other 3D games, and I want to get into SFV in future.

Footsies are a pretty universal concept when it comes to fighters. So the movement options I learned in Tekken can relate to KOF and vice versa. Sure, the movement options are completely different, but my goal is the same, I think.

I branch out because Tekken and KOF have a aesthetic that appeals to me. SF much less so but it nice to have a lot of comp sometimes.

Just stick to what you like overall, video games are suppose to be fun, right?

AAK

Fighting games do indeed take time and dedication, but that's what's fun about them. I love the learning aspect. So yes, I'm still playing Virtua Fighter 5 and Soul Calibur V along with Tekken. Haven't touched Dead or Alive 5 in a while though. I also am playing Guilty Gear Xrd for fun with people offline when I get asked to but I don't actively practice it.

KOF13 is one game I really regret not getting into. Even though I bought it day 1, I always felt daunted by its execution... Whenever I do go back and touch the game it just feels so good. But the netcode also detracted from it :(

There is KOF2002UM I got on steam as well.... but man that game has EVEN HARDER execution than KOF13... I can barely do any combo's in that game. But good lord does it still feel good. Ramon and Blue Mary are such slick characters! I think I should give some of my SCV and VF5 time to that game.

But regardless, right now is a bit of a bad time to play and learn other FG's since I'm momentarily entranced on the MGS5 hype train lol.

EDIT: Lupinko, If I were you I would just continue saving up until Tekken 7 BR comes out and hope for some legit costumes by then..... but going by Namco's business practices recently I wouldn't be surprised if they restarted everything not carrying your data forward forcing you to start grinding for cash again.

lupinko

I hope not, wait did costumes from Tag 2 vanilla carry over to Unlimited?

I just want the Chloe outfit just to complete the set really. Lol

And it would make me play Chloe, ok not really, she'd have to get in line behind Kat, Shaheen, Lili, Kazumi, Feng, Devil Jin, Dragunov, Leo, Josie, Asuka, Xiaoyu, okay basically anyone who I have customs for.

Eh I might not care in the morning, I'm going to pass out now.

The best thing is you can resell the unequipped costumes for gold too. So all those idolmaster costumes I kept are worth a lot. I just need stupid orbs tho.

Edit: There is a cheaper way of playing Tekken 7, at one of the Taito arcades from 0900-1400 during the week, you can have unlimited play for 1 hour on just ¥500. I'm just going to start doing that now.

Tekken 7 (and fighting games in general) is ¥100 per play, unless it's a top tier arcade with old games, at Playland F1R, old games go from 2-3 plays depending on the game for ¥100.

I get fun practice on Vampire Savior as a result when I'm not grinding T7. Also whenever they have it on, I troll Japanese players in SS3 since apparently the broken BS I know they didn't know about. But that game is awful gameplay wise. But it's the best looking SS game though and the OST, specially the AST is amazing.

http://youtu.be/SWD9Nrhb4Yk

TekkenGAF, do you mainly stick to Tekken or do you branch out to other fighters? If you branch out, how do you think it relates to your ability to play Tekken?

I play everything under the sun for at least a little bit. Getting a whole new cast to mess with, finding a bunch of dirty little tricks, trying to settle on a main, those are the most fun times i've had with fighting games. There are some games i've come to dislike a lot so i kinda dropped them, and there's games where i just couldn't find enough people to play so those get dropped too.

But i like variety. There's always something that pisses me off about game A or game B, and then i just switch for a little bit. I feel like i learn different stuff in every game that i can take along to other games.

Tekken so far has been the one i return to most though, by far. SC5 second, Blazblue or Persona third.

Perhaps i'll be more motivated to stick with one game only if i ever start attending tourneys, but for online-warrior-only me this is fine.

Deps

TekkenGAF, do you mainly stick to Tekken or do you branch out to other fighters? If you branch out, how do you think it relates to your ability to play Tekken?

I always try to play at least 2 different fighting games, right now I'm mainly playing Xrd and Ultra, but I usually dabble in everything as long as I like the general feel of a game. I like any game that feels relatively fun to move around in and allows for strong space control.

Playing multiple games helps me out a lot, especially at adapting, which is possibly the most important fighting game skill to have. I understand Pr Rogs point, but I think its only true if you're trying to be the best at multiple games. If you have 1 main game which you play the most and keep up with all of the tech, and sidegames you play for fun, I think it can only help you play better.

Numb

Treat Tekken like the thing i do and everything else as branches. Play everything that comes out. For fun though including Tekken. I only play for fun and those earlier weeks are crucial to that since you don't have to get all this info that comes with time. This way i suck at everything equally tho. Only got decent at Tekken from the time i put in lol.

No Arcana heart tho.

Gambit61

I played UMVC3 and SF4 for a few years until Tag 2 got released. Now I just play Tag 2 and occasionally Xrd/Third Strike. I think the only skill I carry between these games is execution, but then again Tekken isn't too bad with that. Third Strike and Xrd are much closer in that aspect I think. Doesn't help that I'm a masochist and only play characters I think look cool no matter how hard they are to use (Q/Elena/Necro/Hugo in 3S and Venom/Potemkin/Axl in Xrd).

Edit: Oh and RIP Sayah. Hopefully him and GrayfoxPL return not too long from now.

AZUMIKE

Fighting games do indeed take time and dedication, but that's what's fun about them.

The analogy that fighting games are like chess resonates with me. Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken, Gundam VS, and others all have their own unique rulesets to be followed. Each game has its own complexities to how it plays. My point is that because these games are complex (i.e they are NOT Divekick), each one requires its own share of time and dedication to learn , compete, and enjoy. While similar rules may apply from ChessSF to ChessTekken, each game still operates in its own universes.

I mean, just look at all the chess variants! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chess_variants

The idea of focusing my energy on one fighting game seems to interest me.This does not mean I'm against playing other games lol, but it does mean I won't rush to buy every fighting game under the sun. There are reasons for this: 1) games are expensive, 2) I won't be spending time deeply learning each fighting game I happen to like, and 3) I want to focus on the game/s I like the most.

Manbig

I understand Pr Rogs point, but I think its only true if you're trying to be the best at multiple games. If you have 1 main game which you play the most and keep up with all of the tech, and sidegames you play for fun, I think it can only help you play better.

PR Rog pretty much said that himself when he added the later tweet about playing other games for fun. I'm pretty sure he's saying the same thing there.

lupinko

Ok me having zero sleep staying up awake in coffee and tea didn't help, I tried for Chloe idol master again and failed, now I have 12.7 million gold.

As much as I want Katarina bikini I'm not going to bother with that random crap.

So TekkenGAF, help me come up with zany colors for various characters!

I got 12.7 million gold so eh.

Manbig

What did Sayah get banned for? Is he being a pervert again?

He had a back and forth with a mod, which I'm pretty sure that they were fine with. It's where he called that mod out by saying that he/she should stick to doing their job at the end of one of his posts that things didn't turn out so well for him.

sasuke_91

What did Sayah get banned for? Is he being a pervert again?
What do you mean? :p
Check his post history if you want to know more.

I think I'm the only one who only plays one game. I only play Tekken and nothing else. Last time I played Soul Calibur was on the PS2 and I was just mashing buttons the whole time (with Kilik and Maxi). I play MK9 with a friend sometimes, but I don't really like it and won't buy the game myself. I bought BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend once and really wanted to get into the game, but Online is dead and I don't really see a reason if I have nobody to play with.
Tekken still has the highest amount of players Online. It's getting less though. It's also the only one I ever entered a tournament for, even if they were small ones (side-events at a bigger tournament, 3D fighters are dead in Germany).

Fraeon

I forgot to tell people but we moved our tournament day to Tuesday since Wednesday was overlapping with a bunch of people and their offline events.

So the last Biiruken was yesterday... But if you're still interested in seeing the level Finland is in (online at least), here's a playlist. The winners final is stuck in some rendering limbo but should also be up at some point.

I also kind of feel guilty about posting here and talking about our biweekly every time so there you go. I

AZUMIKE

Tekken still has the highest amount of players Online. It's getting less though.

Yeah, I've been a bit surprised how active it is. Also, its been a while since I've played TekkenGAF (I mostly play locally with fellas around me), but I'd love to get some matches in.

Pachimari

So much silence around this title. I'm not even hyped about Tekken 7 at all anymore, though it'll surely come back when the new update lands.

But WHEN Namco? When!? :(

I forgot to tell people but we moved our tournament day to Tuesday since Wednesday was overlapping with a bunch of people and their offline events.

So the last Biiruken was yesterday... But if you're still interested in seeing the level Finland is in (online at least), here's a playlist. The winners final is stuck in some rendering limbo but should also be up at some point.

I also kind of feel guilty about posting here and talking about our biweekly every time so there you go. I
Don't worry about it. I run Fingers To Fight online weeklies in America. As accessible as online is, growing an online tournament is no easy feat. I try to make mention of Biiruken on social media when I catch it live.

I would love to get into another fighting game as deep as I have Tekken, but it just hasn't happened.

Manbig

That's actually a fairly common thing with crush moves. It's just much more noticeable thanks to the slow motion effect. Claudio's Genocide Cutter probably just has early crush frames.

Having said all of that, yes it looks like absolute shit and they should probably change it so it at least has a proper visual representation.

sasuke_91

Tekken's usual suspects got their hands on Pokken in a tournament.
I missed it. What did they say about the game? Did they like it? I read earlier that it's coming to Wii U after all.

Good games Doomshine. That session was quite long. I was pretty tired at the end^^
Yoshimitsu is putting quite a lot of pressure on me. He gets a lot of damage out of counter hits and seems to have a lot of lows. I still try to block his unblockable low...
That draw though. I don't remember ever getting a Double K.O. in the final round. That match was really cool. I'll have to search for it tommorow and save it :D

Then that shit is busted.

Nothing is busted about it. Claudio just doesn't jump very high when he does Genocide Cutter. If that played out at normal speed you wouldn't bat an eye at the situation. It's like you're complaining that lows should clip the lower hanging leg of every hopkick which is silly.

It isn't even possible for Kazuya to be at enough frame advantage to not be hopkicked out of a d/b+4 attempt. D/b+4 is I believe 21 frames to hit. Meaning Kazuya would need to be at +13 to be able to stuff the hopkick before it went airborne.

Manbig

It's like you're complaining that lows should clip the lower hanging leg of every hopkick which is silly.

No.

I'm saying that it looks butt fucking ugly when lows go through the leg like that due to crush frames. They should animate the moves to make them actually look airborne when the frames dictate it so people can see less shit like what happened in that video.

No.

I'm saying that it looks butt fucking ugly when lows go through the leg like that due to crush frames. They should animate the moves to make them actually look airborne when the frames dictate it so people can see less shit like what happened in that video.

That is a waste of time & resources & would severly limit the different types of animations you could use. Do you also have a problem in 2D games when characters magically move through fireballs & attacks because of strike & projectile invincibility?

Also Manny you seem to miss the point of the video in general. Which is simply that Claudio players hopkick a lot. Nothing more, nothing less. Clipping will always be in video games, so I suggest you try to get over this minor annoyance you have with it.

sasuke_91

Thank you.

Also Manny you seem to miss the point of the video in general. Which is simply that Claudio players hopkick a lot. Nothing more, nothing less. Clipping will always be in video games, so I suggest you try to get over this minor annoyance you have with it.

I must say though that I wouldn't notice (or mind) the clipping and unclean animations if it weren't for the slow-mo scenes. They make stuff like that stand out a lot.

Manbig

That is a waste of time & resources & would severly limit the different types of animations you could use. Do you also have a problem in 2D games when characters magically move through fireballs & attacks because of strike & projectile invincibility?

No I don't have a problem with that because it's a dragon punch in a 2D game, not a hopkick in a 3D game. They're not the same thing. Hopkicks beat lows because you are considered airborne. When you see stuff like that happen, it just looks ugly as sin. I'm not the first person to make this claim either.

It looks stupid as hell, and they should change it. Hardly a gamebreaker like my other issues with Tekken though. Just one of the many annoyances.

Also, I don't know where you get that taktak was saying that. If that were the case, he would have shared some sort of compilation video of Claudio hopkicks or something. He obviously chose this one specific instance, and I don't think it's a very big secret why.

AAK

Mark my words:

The day Tekken will revamp all the animations to prevent the instances that ruin the presentation from the taktak clip, removal of the carnival of stupid customs, giving respect back to its characters, fix the incessent clipping, create a proper animation transition system to prevent abrupt teleportations, etc. will be the day Tekken can regain its popularity from a decade ago.

This is what made Tekken 3 head and shoulders beyond anything else in the industry and why it sold the 8.3 million copies it did. It's presentation crushed everything else in the market. Right now, even RPG's like Final Fantasy have battles with presentation that is more visually appealing than Tekken 7. Complete opposite where no game could look as good in motion during the era of Tekken 3 - 5. Until Namco realizes this we're stuck looking at those instances. Even with the crap netcode and various poor game design choices in MKX, their presentation alone made them the best selling game of this year so far. If Tekken tries again like it did with Tekken 3, they can do the same.

EDIT: I'm not saying MKX's animation system is better than Tekken's, but one presentation element that they nailed is giving respect to their cast while revamping everything from MK9 to make the public salivate it.

EDIT2: And yes when I see that hitbox clipping nonsense in Street Fighter it disgusts me.... and might even be one of those aspects that make me so disinterested in trying that series. But I never expected a developer like Dimps who are not talent power houses like Namco to be capable of doing so. The Tekken team was once upon a time the best in the world, I'm sure they have the talent to accomplish it... if they tried.

Numb

Mark my words:

The day Tekken will revamp all the animations to prevent the instances that ruin the presentation from the taktak clip, removal of the carnival of stupid customs, giving respect back to its characters, fix the incessent clipping, create a proper animation transition system to prevent abrupt teleportations, etc. will be the day Tekken can regain its popularity from a decade ago.
I get the feeling we will get 2 of these things at best.
Harada you...

lupinko

I decided I'm going to take up a bunch of characters. I noticed many Japanese players can play a handful of characters.

I brought my Kat back up to 6th rank. Now at 233-382.

Deciding if Shaheen or Dragunov should get the training pants.

I think I didn't give Flying Wonkey my right tekken net info.

Edit: went with dragunov, anyone got any other ideas for colors? So far I went with red pants, the in game pic is bad sorry.

http://i.imgur.com/GC47vsY.png
http://i.imgur.com/Vt0WbUE.png

http://i.imgur.com/NwwXkkQ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom