• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

Namco has full rights to use Street Fighter characters. SF is a multi-million selling franchise that's still very popular today (i.e. revived from the dead). There is no way Namco is going to waste that potential moneeyyyyzz they could be earning.

SF may be stronger in the US... but world wide I think the Tekken brand has equal popularity to SF. And just because there is a crossover doesn't mean that there is a ton of money to be made just as we saw in the SFxT sales. :p

But maybe you are right... and the best case scenario is that TxSF does indeed become some brand new style game where SF style jump-ins, 3 frame jabs, full-screen attacks, and large projectile game manages to work with Tekken's 3D movement intensive, frame heavy combat bringing something fighting games have never seen. I personally would rather they have made a brand new IP in that scenario. That way they won't be restricting themselves to the game design dogmas set by the two franchises embracing further creativity for the best result.

Fingers To Fight TTT2 Online Tournament

When
January 15th, 2015, 9:00PM Eastern Time

Where
http://www.twitch.tv/fingerstofight
Challonge Bracket (I think I will build it around an hour before. I don't want entries now that will be totally MIA by tournament time)

Rules
Restricted to North America
Latency is mutual and will just be tolerated. Lag switches however are banned.
In the event of disconnect. Game and round score will be continued upon restart. Three retries will be attempted if disconnect continues. If no resolve, the match will be continued off stream. If the players simply cannot connect to each other. The last resort will be a FT3 Rock,Paper,Scissors in the Stream Chat.

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games

1st Place Prize
$10 PSN Gift Card (code will be sent to the winner's PSN inbox)

It is still early, so let me know what you all think. I do not mind if you invite others, but I would like my fellow Tekken Gaf to get the headstart in this. Other places to me are far too infested with trolls and haters to have fertile ground to grow this seed. People who want to commentate can also let me know here or on PSN - NinthPixel. We can work out a Skype or something similar.

I don't mind if you are terrible at commentating (I admit I am no good yet), all I require is you be yourself (don't do some sort of announcer voice acting, just be YOU). I also want this to be a place to grow new commentators. So no requests for Aris to save the day. We need more Aris level commentators.

Curse words are fine to me, the only form of speech I can't tolerate are words for God used without deep respect (OMG!). If you can't keep God out of your muddy vibrations, then I will get someone else. You can call me a religious fanatic if you like, but that rule is a lot easier to follow than no cursing at all.

Umm... am I missing anything?

I definitely wouldn't mind participating in the tournament even though I haven't played in the forever, but unfortunately I do not get home on weeknights until 11pm-12am Eastern time typically. I am assuming the tournament will be over by the time I get home. :/ Also, I hope my PS3 can still read my TTT2 disc. It reads it randomly and getting it to read sometimes is like playing Russian Roulette. I am so tempted to enter my brother in the tournament to play for me, but he probably forgot how to play after all of this time and might get obliterated in front of everyone and tarnish my name on Twitch TV forever lol(not that I am much better). Maybe I can do something in the future though.

Pachimari

Okay, I want to watch some films with nice fighting choreograph, which one are recommended besides The Raid, Ong Bak and Crouching Tiger?

Dereck

I'm not disagreeing with you... hence I think this crossover at this point in time is a dumb idea. Namco please go make a new 3D fighting game IP instead.
Unfortunately, for both parties involved, the idea was destined to fail from the start when they thought making a crossover fighter that involved a 2D fighter and a 3D fighter would be a good idea.

Degen

Unfortunately, for both parties involved, the idea was destined to fail from the start when they thought making a crossover fighter that involved a 2D fighter and a 3D fighter would be a good idea.
SFxT was a great idea that was executed poorly

Gems and that terrible art style didn't represent either series

Death
I suppose they can enter unless we somehow manage 32 man or something. It's single elimination, so it should be a quick tournament. And that's how I want to keep it. I lose interest in watching Alex Valle's online tournaments because they take too long.

I am also okay with other people. NeoGaf has already got the headstart in knowing it's happening. We probably just need somebody to challenge P.Ling though, haha. I am not too far from his level, but I'd like to just focus on running things until I get comfortable enough with the setup to be able to also compete.

Bugs Bunny
I hope you can enter. Although, an idea I also thought about for the future is a beginner tournament and expert tournament. Every board game and sport I know of has a sort minor league and major league event, but video games seem to want to throw everyone into one. I wouldn't lock anyone out of the major event, but definitely squeezing my brain to think of how to lock out people from the minor event.

Challonge Bracket

http://challonge.com/67s9xthn

Challonge Sign Up

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ikhG78Yzce

Capped at 16 players as by my calculations is the limit to insure we are done before ATP Live.

x Misogi

hey,

I'm trying to learn this game (i know i'm a little late). Do you guys have any resources where i can learn about synergy/strategies?

Also, is there any glaring problems in trying to play Kazuya/Steve? Thanks!

Numb

hey,

I'm trying to learn this game (i know i'm a little late). Do you guys have any resources where i can learn about synergy/strategies?

Go to level up your game on youtube. They have a good tutorial that covers alot of the systems and strategies in the game.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtpT4ejbGwk

Kazuya and Steve are pretty advanced so be prepared. I would recommend picking up an easier character like Paul or Feng to get the feel for the game first.

Sayah

hey,

Although Numbatisa is right that Kazuya and Steve require more work to learn, I would still suggest you go with this team. Play the characters that MOST suit your playstyle preference and the ones you have the most fun with. I started T6 with Nina and she's indisputably one of the hardest characters to learn but learning such a character for me was also extremely rewarding and fun. I had given Tekken a long break after Tekken 5 and forgotten everything by the time I came back with Tekken 6. Still loved playing Nina every step of the way.

SF may be stronger in the US... but world wide I think the Tekken brand has equal popularity to SF. And just because there is a crossover doesn't mean that there is a ton of money to be made just as we saw in the SFxT sales. :p

But maybe you are right... and the best case scenario is that TxSF does indeed become some brand new style game where SF style jump-ins, 3 frame jabs, full-screen attacks, and large projectile game manages to work with Tekken's 3D movement intensive, frame heavy combat bringing something fighting games have never seen. I personally would rather they have made a brand new IP in that scenario. That way they won't be restricting themselves to the game design dogmas set by the two franchises embracing further creativity for the best result.

SFXTK failed for its own reasons. It could have been very big and a legitimate replacement for SFIV but Capcom screwed the game in many ways.

GrayFoxPL

hey,

I play that team amongst others. Very strong team.

No problems unless you want to go for most difficult executions of combos but that's not necessary.

Thanks for the support, let me know what you think and what I can improve. Sorry you couldn't participate, Bugs. See you next week!

Sayah

How am I JUST learning of this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75C_7RjfCh8

Wow.

The CG art characters look interesting. Interested in seeing what this will be.

How Harada and Bandai Namco are announcing and working on all these games, I don't know. They just finished Smash Bros. on both 3DS and Wii U and are now ongoing work on Pokken, Tekken 7, Rise of Incarnates, new Gundam, new Dragonball, new Naruto, Tales of Zestiria, Summer Lesson, TKXSF, whatever else. I hope these are all quality titles because the quantity sure is a lot and I hope there's enough development time and resources put into these games.

The concern over Namco's output seems a bit overblown. It sure as hell beats the alternative. I'd rather them do what they do instead of hoping for a new game one day like Capcom, Sega, Konami, etc.

Harada is like the Miyamoto of the company, they just trot him out there because he instills confidence.

Sayah

It was revealed yesterday

I know, which is why I was late. I thought I had already read up on all the news from Nintendo's Direct.

The concern over Namco's output seems a bit overblown. It sure as hell beats the alternative. I'd rather them do what they do instead of hoping for a new game one day like Capcom, Sega, Konami, etc.

Harada is like the Miyamoto of the company, they just trot him out there because he instills confidence.

I suppose. Having more games is always good. Just concerned about quality when there's so many of them from a single director/producer (i.e. Harada) and from a single company.

Manbig

Man work screwed me up today. I passed out after watching Aris stream Metal Gear Solid for a few minutes and just woke up now.

sasuke_91

So, how did it go yesterday? Who played? Who won?

Damn, as soon as TMM uploaded yesterday's stream people started talking shit about my Jin. No wavedash, terrible spacing, no use of d4, db4 or standing 4. No grabs or hellsweeps, whiffing moves from far away. I guess they're right though.
And just to clarify, I did not streamsnipe him. I was already playing ranked before I ran into him. If I wanted to streamsnipe him I would have gone with Hwo/Steve. So much hate...

GrayFoxPL

So, how did it go yesterday? Who played? Who won?

Damn, as soon as TMM uploaded yesterday's stream people started talking shit about my Jin. No wavedash, terrible spacing, no use of d4, db4 or standing 4. No grabs or hellsweeps, whiffing moves from far away. I guess they're right though.
And just to clarify, I did not streamsnipe him. I was already playing ranked before I ran into him. If I wanted to streamsnipe him I would have gone with Hwo/Steve. So much hate...

He's an ass I've noticed.

sasuke_91

He's an ass I've noticed.
I don't really dislike him. Matches against him are always pretty fun.
He can sound quite arrogant and he's not as important as he thinks he is. He accused me of streamsniping him because I "usually play Hwoarang". Uhmm no, I try not to play Hwoarang when I'm playing terrible. And these last two weeks were the very definition of "terrible". I switch to Xiaoyu/Leo or Jin/Violet until I'm confident enough to go for Warrior with Hwoarang again. He didn't insult me though. He actually calls me a decent player.

What annoys me are those comments. I shouldn't take that shit to heart too much. Haters gonna hate >_>
I'M AMAZING!

Results from the Fingers to Fight TTT2 tournament last night.

1st: Tech_Romancer
2nd: _devastator_
3rd: MikeBreezy92
3rd: Jo_Jo_X
5th: BugsBunny

Rewatched a little bit of the stream last night and noticed my voice wasn't loud and clear enough. Wasn't notified it was a problem in the chat, but I will fix it for next time. Also had problems getting started as several problems came into play. However, I am glad because they really gave me experience and provoked thought in how to address them properly.

See you guys and gals next Thursday for Fingers to Fight Tournament 3, Journey to the 8th Man!
January 22, 2015, 9:00PM Eastern Time

I never closed it to NeoGaf. I am just not sure where to promote it. If I say, bring it to Aris' attention. He may emotionally try to kill it just because the WNF wounds are fresh. Even though to me, Cali is just feeling what the rest of America has felt for a while now. No arcades or venue to play at pretty much makes online the only place to play. I tried the whole local scene thing and venue's give you nasty looks. Almost like someone came before me and really ruined the management's view on video game players.

I am open to suggestions on where to promote the next event. There is not a Tekken Zaibatsu like the days of old to reach the masses. In some ways that is good, because I really don't want to be trolled out of existence. However, it leaves me thinking hard about what to do next.

Edit: Tech_Romancer is one of the locals here in my area. I suppose in some ways he is my student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom