• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

@GrayFoxPL: So a monitor instead of a TV is no option I guess?
I always read that anything below 50ms of input lag is good for competitive gaming. 50ms sounds a bit high compared to the monitor ranking AAK posted earlier. I can't recommend anything, sorry :/

TheManMainSWE? Never ran into him. If you met him in ranking, that means he's a green rank which means that he's not really good, doesn't it? I don't think that's him since he always called himself "TheMainManSWE".

@Doomshine: How long have you been inactive?

Numb

Harada is involved in yet another game. It seems as though Tekken X Street fighter will not be released in my lifetime.

Numb

Does this make it the 6th or 7th game he is involved in since the Tekken X Street fighter announcement? Tekken tag 2 and maybe Smash and Pokken fighters coming out earlier i can understand but why that mobile Tekken game or Summer lesson?

GrayFoxPL

@GrayFoxPL: So a monitor instead of a TV is no option I guess?
I always read that anything below 50ms of input lag is good for competitive gaming. 50ms sounds a bit high compared to the monitor ranking AAK posted earlier. I can't recommend anything, sorry :/

TheManMainSWE? Never ran into him. If you met him in ranking, that means he's a green rank which means that he's not really good, doesn't it? I don't think that's him since he always called himself "TheMainManSWE".

Nah no monitor, but I wanted something with max 30 ms with all postprocessing off.

Harada is involved in yet another game. It seems as though Tekken X Street fighter will not be released in my lifetime.

Harada has more important things to do then keeping a promise made 4-5 years ago. F2P>TxSF

TxSF is an embarrassment now. It's good that people keep bothering him about it at every meeting. It's a shame people keep bringing up and that is his own doing. I know he doesn't want to make this game and the only thing that keeps it in Harada's hands is the Tekken name. He's like a schoolboy who doesn't want to do the homework.

This game would be done years ago if handed by different director. There aren't any? Give it to SoulCalibur guy. Anyone. Anyone who gives a shit. Even a little. Because we noticed who clearly doesn't give a shit anymore.

I mean fuck, they made or are making like 8 or more games and TxSF is like Chernobyl Zone - Do not touch!

VOA_Markosian_-_Chernobyl02.jpg

AAK

Doesn't matter if they made TxSF in 3 years of 10 years... The game won't work. The systems are way too different for a cross-over. Either they make a game that's nothing like Tekken or Street Fighter... or it's just gonna be another Tekken game with SF characters playing nothing like SF.

GrayFoxPL

Doesn't matter if they made TxSF in 3 years of 10 years... The game won't work. The systems are way too different for a cross-over. Either they make a game that's nothing like Tekken or Street Fighter... or it's just gonna be another Tekken game with SF characters playing nothing like SF.

Yeah, Harada's concept to merge SF jump ins with tekken's 3d movement is deemed a failure.
This game could work on many ways if stuck to one style and concept.

Yes, like you said, make a Tekken game with SF characters.

- Take widely liked T5DR as a base. Make SF characters that work like new Tekken characters, 4 limb buttons, strings, juggles. Keep "legacy" moves, there are only like 4 per character. Let Ryu&Ken throw fireballs, they could be sidestepped like projectiles in tekken but fast enough in close to mid range to be viable enough but the main gameplay is still close range fighting as ever.

How realistically hard would that be to make? Did even die hard SF fans ever not expect TKxSF to be a Tekken game?

Did we thought SFxTK from Ono would not be a Street Fighter game? Honestly.

That's just one idea. Not good? Fine, make a new fighting game, new gameplay, new rules but with characters of both games. People will understand. You don't have to make Frankestein monster where SF characters will be jumping all over screen on 2d plane and Tekken characters will be sidesteping those jump ins.

Jesus stick to something, anything.

I imagine there are tons of pointless TKxSF concepts on paper at Harada's office. And that "Finished Base" is consist of: "There are 2 characters facing each other engaged in a fight." Whoo we have a base of a game.

Sayah

I think the reason TKXSF is being delayed is for that very reason that it is difficult to adapt SF into a 3D environment. It is not only because of the issue of jumping but also due to the command list sizes. SF characters don't have nearly enough moves as Tekken characters and they can't just random animations to the characters. Otherwise Ryu might not feel like Ryu. Alternatively it is easier to severely cut down on commands and take only a few essential moves like SFXTK did.

It is pretty clear that Tekken 7 is testing the waters for some of the "street fighter like features." I wouldn't be surprised if rage arts and power moves were things they had initially considered for TKXSF especially since it is so similar to focus attacks and supers.

I'm imagining TKXSF can be successful if the devs treat it like a new IP and only take/borrow the utmost essential stuff from both Tekken and SF (as far as gameplay is concerned). That way Tekken fans will not be like "where did all of Kazuyas moves go" if they cut down or SF fans won't be like "what are all these other moves" if they substantially enhance commands for SF characters so they can match the Tekken characters.

AAK

If it is just gonna be a random fighting game with no relation to the source material I honestly ask why bother? I'd 10x much rather they make a brand new IP then where they can really take risks and plan something incredibly new and fresh with no restrictions.

If it's just gonna be Tekken 8 with half the cast being SF characters... Screw that. Street Fighters characters other than the Alpha exclusive/3rd strike/some of SF4 are boring characters. I don't want that at all and I'd want that scrapped immediately. Just give me Tekken 8 with half the cast being a brand new generation like Tekken 3 (which is what I hoped for Tekken 7).

Numb

What if they made the street fighter characters just in 3D like Street fighter EX? It is easier to put Tekken characters in a street fighter game but fireballs would be useless with sidestepping and forget about jump ins. At this point i am more curious to see just how a game like that will function in the first place. But it seems like harada himself is wondering the same thing. How the hell are they gonna invent 60-100+ move for every SF character and make it viable and not broken or completely useless.
Just make the SF characters in 3D cut the movelist of everybody in half and then get rid of fireballs. that is the only thing that could even remotely function at this point.

AAK

Just make the SF characters in 3D cut the movelist of everybody in half and then get rid of fireballs. that is the only thing that could even remotely function at this point.

Or cancel the project and use those funds to fulfill my desire for a brand new 3D fighting game IP like what happened to RE4 --> DMC1!

Whatever comes of this cursed project I'll play... but man oh man I can't wait to see what logic & steps they took to make oil and water converge.

Numb

Or cancel the project and use those funds to fulfill my desire for a brand new 3D fighting game IP like what happened to RE4 --> DMC1!

Whatever comes of this cursed project I'll play... but man oh man I can't wait to see what logic & steps they took to make oil and water converge.

What about that Rise of incarnates game?. I enjoyed Anarchy reigns alot and arena brawlers are not bad especially if they are involved with the Gundam extreme vs crew. It seems as though we will be getting dozens of projects and new fighting games we never heard of before we ever see a glimpse of TXSF. And there is no way they will cancel it and even if they do they will probably deny doing so.

GrayFoxPL

I think the reason TKXSF is being delayed is for that very reason that it is difficult to adapt SF into a 3D environment. It is not only because of the issue of jumping but also due to the command list sizes. SF characters don't have nearly enough moves as Tekken characters and they can't just random animations to the characters. Otherwise Ryu might not feel like Ryu. Alternatively it is easier to severely cut down on commands and take only a few essential moves like SFXTK did.

It is pretty clear that Tekken 7 is testing the waters for some of the "street fighter like features." I wouldn't be surprised if rage arts and power moves were things they had initially considered for TKXSF especially since it is so similar to focus attacks and supers.

I'm imagining TKXSF can be successful if the devs treat it like a new IP and only take/borrow the utmost essential stuff from both Tekken and SF (as far as gameplay is concerned). That way Tekken fans will not be like "where did all of Kazuyas moves go" if they cut down or SF fans won't be like "what are all these other moves" if they substantially enhance commands for SF characters so they can match the Tekken characters.

What do you mean Ryu might not feel like Ryu? Adding new moves wouldn't destroy the feel of character. As long as designer knows what his doing and wont add Lili like animations to Ryu's karate style, it'll be fine. Besides SF5 is already changing tons of animations and moves and I think they know what they're doing.

Btw did Ono's designers care for Tekken characters? Raven has nothing to do with Tekken Raven and Jin shoots orbs from his fists.

Seriously worrying about 100% ideal SF characters or any concepts of SF game should be the last thing taken under consideration. The last thing.

I don't see any problem with SF characters having actual movelist as long as tekken characters. I don't think SF players are brain dead and would complain: "Uhh I have more then 6 standing and 6 crouching moves?! Wtf!", knowing they are playing Tekken game.

This is Tekken cross Street Fighter. It's self explanatory.

GrayFoxPL

What about that Rise of incarnates game?. I enjoyed Anarchy reigns alot and arena brawlers are not bad especially if they are involved with the Gundam extreme vs crew. It seems as though we will be getting dozens of projects and new fighting games we never heard of before we ever see a glimpse of TXSF. And there is no way they will cancel it and even if they do they will probably deny doing so.

No, please.

I only liked Virtual On and Power Stone of 3D Arena brawlers, because they had nothing to do with anything, other IP's, games.

AAK

You can't bring up Street Fighter x Tekken. That game failed completely. If TxSF brings SF characters into the Tekken universe the same way SFxT brought the Tekken characters it will fail too.

As far as RoI is concerned... as long as Canada has as bad of an internet service as it is now... I won't invest too much time into it. There needs to be a local versus mode.

Numb

You can't bring up Street Fighter x Tekken. That game failed completely. If TxSF brings SF characters into the Tekken universe the same way SFxT brought the Tekken characters it will fail too.

As far as RoI is concerned... as long as Canada has as bad of an internet service as it is now... I won't invest too much time into it. There needs to be a local versus mode.

The investment is low since it is free to play. I will atleast try the thing and see where that goes.

GrayFoxPL

Street Fighter x Tekken failed because it did too much. The core gameplay that was SF4 was fine. Everything was ruined by adding constant and obnoxious tagging in and out and it's combos. If that game would stick closer to SF4 basic 1-1 gameplay it what would be played today instead of Ultra. You could say it would be "just" SF4.

But:

a) with better cast of characters

b) game actually respected and played competitively everywhere

That's why I think Tekken x Street Fighter should stick to Tekken as close as possible. Preferably to Tekken that is universally liked like T5DR that isn't complicated or hard to get into like Tag2 but not dumbed down like Revolution.

Win-Win.

I seriously want to see insanely flashy Ken in Tekken style with tons of badass moves, crazy kick combos, mixups and flaming shoryuken punishes.

That's all I ask.

AAK

I'm not saying it failed as a fighting game. That can be subjective. I think SFxT is actually way better than SF4. I'm saying the integration of Tekken characters in SF4 failed.

I can't name a single Tekken player that transitioned nicely into SFxT. For that reason alone it failed as a cross over game as compared to something like Capcom vs SNK, something that both Capcom and KOF players can indulge in.

If Tekken x Street Fighter is going to be another game that only people who like Tekken play, it's failed.

GrayFoxPL

Kazuya, Nina and King were pretty faithful. Law too. Hei and Jin had most of their good shit apart few retardations like orb balls. But I must say f,b,f+p Median Line Destruction is insanely satisfying to do. So is canceling moves like Shun Masatsu(That move looks even better then in Tekken) b+mp,lp into electric. This is what I love in that game, canceling moves. I could cancel stuff into electric whole day without boredom, sick looking stuff.

But yeah, I know what you mean, the rest are freaks. But I think this kind of thing not necessarily would happen in reverse scenario. Characters could be treated with more respect.
I recon adding more moves wouldn't work against it unlike totally removing moves and adding in their place other ones. I mean too big moveset of SF characters is not an issue in here like it was in SFxTK regarding Tekken characters.

AAK

Simply pasting moves that look similar is not my definition of faithful. I can't play Kazuya in Tekken 6 and then jump into SFxT and pretend like I have any idea what this character is about. Double so with King and Nina.

If I played Hibiki in Last Blade 2 or Yamazaki in KOF98 and then I jumped onto something like CvS2 I can still have some bearing on what the character is capable of and what they do despite it being a Capcom game and not an SNK one. You can't say the same about anything in SFxT. And the same thing will most likely true for the SF characters in TxSF. If it can't do that, it's failed in being a good cross-over game.

Doomshine

I had him on my friendslist since DRO, but there was a period in T6 that I just stopped playing cause I got tired of the shitty online and declined all his invites.

As for TxSF... I see people talking about delays, but didn't Harada say fairly early that the game would not come out until after T7?

Numb

Simply pasting moves that look similar is not my definition of faithful. I can't play Kazuya in Tekken 6 and then jump into SFxT and pretend like I have any idea what this character is about. Double so with King and Nina.

If I played Hibiki in Last Blade 2 or Yamazaki in KOF98 and then I jumped onto something like CvS2 I can still have some bearing on what the character is capable of and what they do despite it being a Capcom game and not an SNK one. You can't say the same about anything in SFxT. And the same thing will most likely true for the SF characters in TxSF. If it can't do that, it's failed in being a good cross-over game.

Going from 2D to 2D with a limited movelist compared to Tekken is much easier than going from 2D to 3D and an insane movement system with 100+ movelist. Will Street fighter players be able to grasp the movement and how important it is seems just as crucial as it feeling the same game as they are used to.

AAK

I'm not disagreeing with you... hence I think this crossover at this point in time is a dumb idea. Namco please go make a new 3D fighting game IP instead.

GrayFoxPL

I meant animation and moveset wise. They couldn't play like in Tekken because it was not a Tekken game. You knew it couldn't.

This mash of 2 insanely different games is probably what Harada is trying to do in 5 years.
The result is big nothing.

But we know those 2 games don't fit at all together. They have just nothing in common beside being fighting games in most basic meaning of the term.

That's why SFxTK didn't pretend to be a Tekken game, because they sanely taken for a fact they wouldn't be able to implement "alien" 3D Tekken like it is. Then why on earth should TKxSF pretend to be Street Fighter?

I mean for decades names like Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat or Virtua Fighter vs Tekken had taken place in countless conversations because of logic, similarities, etc.

But who on Earth, I'm literally asking if there ever was a person on Planet Earth who fired up a conversation by asking: "Guys? Guys? What about Street Fighter vs Tekken? Huh? Guys? .....Guys?"

itYfVkffBRKV.gif

ipei8pK7P3oiT.gif

I mean the connection these games have is based on literary nothing. It's just a random business idea between two companies and the point is to make money, not sense. :D

This randomness of the collaboration is what makes me laugh since the beginning.:D

AAK

If the SF characters will just play like Tekken characters and nothing like the SF system then don't call it TxSF. Call it Tekken 8 with guest SF characters in the game the same way DOA5 had guest VF characters.

sasuke_91

I mean the connection these games have is based on literary nothing. It's just a random business idea between two companies and the point is to make money, not sense. :D
And here you have the reason for that game to either happen or not happen. If it makes money, people are going to follow that... brillant idea.

Tekken x Street Fighter sounded like a cool idea at first and I was sure it would be a Tag game again, but at this point of time I don't even really care anymore especially since Tekken 7 is right around the... who am I kidding, we'll have to wait a long long time before we can play that game. Or at least it'll feel like a very long time.

I had him on my friendslist since DRO, but there was a period in T6 that I just stopped playing cause I got tired of the shitty online and declined all his invites.
Ever thought of adding him again?^^
I'd love to see you play against him.

GrayFoxPL

If the SF characters will just play like Tekken characters and nothing like the SF system then don't call it TxSF. Call it Tekken 8 with guest SF characters in the game the same way DOA5 had guest VF characters.

SFxTK didn't have Tekken systems and it wasn't called Street Fighter 5.

Between those 2 games basically all you can do is import characters.

But unlike DOA5 they couldn't just copy-paste them, they would be brand new "SF characters" done Tekken style.

Numb

I lost hope for TXSF at the beginning of last year . Right now unless i see actual gameplay i will not believe it exists.

GrayFoxPL

I lost hope for TXSF at the beginning of last year . Right now unless i see actual gameplay i will not believe it exists.

20th Anniversary was the last time I really, really hoped to see TxSF. I was almost sure. Trailer, pre alpha gameplay, anything. After that it's nothing. An ugly joke on us, nothing more.

Fingers To Fight TTT2 Online Tournament

When
January 15th, 2015, 9:00PM Eastern Time

Where
http://www.twitch.tv/fingerstofight
Challonge Bracket (I think I will build it around an hour before. I don't want entries now that will be totally MIA by tournament time)

Rules
Restricted to North America
Latency is mutual and will just be tolerated. Lag switches however are banned.
In the event of disconnect. Game and round score will be continued upon restart. Three retries will be attempted if disconnect continues. If no resolve, the match will be continued off stream. If the players simply cannot connect to each other. The last resort will be a FT3 Rock,Paper,Scissors in the Stream Chat.

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games

1st Place Prize
$10 PSN Gift Card (code will be sent to the winner's PSN inbox)

It is still early, so let me know what you all think. I do not mind if you invite others, but I would like my fellow Tekken Gaf to get the headstart in this. Other places to me are far too infested with trolls and haters to have fertile ground to grow this seed. People who want to commentate can also let me know here or on PSN - NinthPixel. We can work out a Skype or something similar.

I don't mind if you are terrible at commentating (I admit I am no good yet), all I require is you be yourself (don't do some sort of announcer voice acting, just be YOU). I also want this to be a place to grow new commentators. So no requests for Aris to save the day. We need more Aris level commentators.

Curse words are fine to me, the only form of speech I can't tolerate are words for God used without deep respect (OMG!). If you can't keep God out of your muddy vibrations, then I will get someone else. You can call me a religious fanatic if you like, but that rule is a lot easier to follow than no cursing at all.

Umm... am I missing anything?

AAK

SFxTK didn't have Tekken systems and it wasn't called Street Fighter 5.

I honestly should have been called SF5 with the system being nothing like Tekken.

When

Where
Challonge Bracket (I think I will build it around an hour before. I don't want entries now that will be totally MIA by tournament time)

Rules
In the event of disconnect. Game and round score will be continued upon restart. Three retries will be attempted if disconnect continues. If no resolve, the match will be continued off stream. If the players simply cannot connect to each other. The last resort will be a FT3 Rock,Paper,Scissors in the Stream Chat.

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games

1st Place Prize

It is still early, so let me know what you all think. I do not mind if you invite others, but I would like my fellow Tekken Gaf to get the headstart in this. Other places to me are far too infested with trolls and haters to have fertile ground to grow this seed. People who want to commentate can also let me know here or on PSN - NinthPixel. We can work out a Skype or something similar.

I don't mind if you are terrible at commentating (I admit I am no good yet), all I require is you be yourself (don't do some sort of announcer voice acting, just be YOU). I also want this to be a place to grow new commentators. So no requests for Aris to save the day. We need more Aris level commentators.

Curse words are fine to me, the only form of speech I can't tolerate are words for God used without deep respect (OMG!). If you can't keep God out of your muddy vibrations, then I will get someone else. You can call me a religious fanatic if you like, but that rule is a lot easier to follow than no cursing at all.

Good luck! I won't get home until 11-12 PM EST so It'll be too late for me. Also, how about trying to post this in the FGW thread here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969641

I also made a post about a lot of people on GAF that don't frequent this thread but still play Tekken:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146686883&postcount=507

Spread the word to whoever you wish. Preferred to link back to the post above so if updates are made, no one is in the dark. It isn't likely to grab huge numbers, but I hope to get the tournament over well before ATP Live (Tourney starts 2 hours before in case you are wondering).

GrayFoxPL

I honestly should have been called SF5 with the system being nothing like Tekken.

I disagree but I get it. :)

Seriously if TKxSF actually existed in a form that at least Ken and Guile would be playable, then on Harada's place I would actually put them in Tekken 7 as bonus secret characters just to see people in shock and test the waters for actual TKxSF at the same time.

Imagine people's shock in T7 next month. People play Arcade mode to see the boss. After Stage 7: "Here Comes a New Challenger!" Guile/Ken appears.

Gamers in Japanese arcades fall flat in shock like spiders after Raid. :D

DEATH™

When

Where

Rules

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games

1st Place Prize

Posted this on Tekken Sac... Hopefully, Tray and Kevs can play on this tourney...

Just got my new monitor. There definitely is a distinct difference in timing when it comes to matches. I feel like I win trades more if the matches aren't too laggy, and I can break some throws online too. If there is lag, I have tendency to lose stand offs more. Combos feel more consistent as well.

Overall I am pretty happy with it.

AAK

Death, this is a GAF closed tournament:

It is still early, so let me know what you all think. I do not mind if you invite others, but I would like my fellow Tekken Gaf to get the headstart in this. Other places to me are far too infested with trolls and haters to have fertile ground to grow this seed.

Just got my new monitor. There definitely is a distinct difference in timing when it comes to matches. I feel like I win trades more if the matches aren't too laggy, and I can break some throws online too. If there is lag, I have tendency to lose stand offs more. Combos feel more consistent as well.
S
Overall I am pretty happy with it.

Good to hear :)

Sayah

I read AAK's and Sayah's interviews in FGC. I don't visit that thread very often, so I didn't read them until now. Great interviews guys. That tournament match was great, AAK. You made him panic like hell :D

Thanks a lot.

When

Where

Rules

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games

1st Place Prize

Awwwwwww.... It's on Thursday. :(

I guess I can't join.

Maybe I'll try to bring my PS3 for next weeks tournament but my apartment's internet is crappy comcast since verizon doesn't want to offer fios where I am.

What do you mean Ryu might not feel like Ryu? Adding new moves wouldn't destroy the feel of character. As long as designer knows what his doing and wont add Lili like animations to Ryu's karate style, it'll be fine. Besides SF5 is already changing tons of animations and moves and I think they know what they're doing.

Btw did Ono's designers care for Tekken characters? Raven has nothing to do with Tekken Raven and Jin shoots orbs from his fists.

Seriously worrying about 100% ideal SF characters or any concepts of SF game should be the last thing taken under consideration. The last thing.

I don't see any problem with SF characters having actual movelist as long as tekken characters. I don't think SF players are brain dead and would complain: "Uhh I have more then 6 standing and 6 crouching moves?! Wtf!", knowing they are playing Tekken game.

This is Tekken cross Street Fighter. It's self explanatory.

Ryu wouldn't feel like Ryu because you're bloating his playstyle with like 70+ moves just so he can match up with the Tekken cast. What other different animations would you even give him?

In contrast, Raven and Steve were given projectiles in SFXTK but their core animations remained very reminiscent of their main Tekken moves.

If it is just gonna be a random fighting game with no relation to the source material I honestly ask why bother? I'd 10x much rather they make a brand new IP then where they can really take risks and plan something incredibly new and fresh with no restrictions.

If it's just gonna be Tekken 8 with half the cast being SF characters... Screw that. Street Fighters characters other than the Alpha exclusive/3rd strike/some of SF4 are boring characters. I don't want that at all and I'd want that scrapped immediately. Just give me Tekken 8 with half the cast being a brand new generation like Tekken 3 (which is what I hoped for Tekken 7).

Why bother? haha.

Namco has full rights to use Street Fighter characters. SF is a multi-million selling franchise that's still very popular today (i.e. revived from the dead). There is no way Namco is going to waste that potential moneeyyyyzz they could be earning.

I would like to enter the tournament if it's possible but I'm not that good >_<. Can I just use one character or do I have to use two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom