• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Has anyone else been introduced to the "1,2 and then sidestep", strat that's been going on, on PS3 ranked lately?

Dereck

Not quite.

The strategy I'm describing only works if the opponent likes to press buttons. The strat goes, dash up, press 1,2, and immediately sidestep. If the opponent likes to press buttons, that person will immediately try to attack after the 1,2 string is over, once the opponent attacks, hopkick after sidestep. I've had to just throw out homing moves whenever someone does 1,2 now to counter it.

sasuke_91

Not quite.

The strategy I'm describing only works if the opponent likes to press buttons. The strat goes, dash up, press 1,2, and immediately sidestep. If the opponent likes to press buttons, that person will immediately try to attack after the 1,2 string is over, once the opponent attacks, hopkick after sidestep. I've had to just throw out homing moves whenever someone does 1,2 now to counter it.
I think Aris described that strategy in one of his tutorials once. It was about knowing when to sidestep. He didn't really recommend that strategy or anything though.
I also like to do that when my opponent tends to press buttons. My sidesteps are still kind of random though.

AAK

At cecc2 right now, damn it's looking grim for Tekken at this point in time. No one likes this game enough to travel for it... Don't see many locals either. Dunno if there's gonna be enough people for them to stream it either.

GrayFoxPL

Is it true we'll know the whole cast of Tekken 7 by February? Read a post about it in the other Arcade T7 thread.

Whole cast is only initial cast. They'll be adding characters on the go since they seem to rush it out asap.

At cecc2 right now, damn it's looking grim for Tekken at this point in time. No one likes this game enough to travel for it... Don't see many locals either. Dunno if there's gonna be enough people for them to stream it either.

Tekken 7 will save or bury the series.

I wonder what is their strategy if T7 bombs in arcades.

1. Home versions canceled. End support forever. Tekken is dead.

2 ."Critical Situation" Alternative Build of Tekken 7 gets a green light. Reverts gameplay system to be similar to T6.

3. Tekken 7 is killed off but team goes to make TxSF as a last chance for the series.

Either way it's probable that we'll be playing Tag2 until they end online support.

Whole cast is only initial cast. They'll be adding characters on the go since they seem to rush it out asap.

Tekken 7 will save or bury the series.

I wonder what is their strategy if T7 bombs in arcades.

1. Home versions canceled. End support forever. Tekken is dead.

2 ."Critical Situation" Alternative Build of Tekken 7 gets a green light. Reverts gameplay system to be similar to T6.

3. Tekken 7 is killed off but team goes to make TxSF as a last chance for the series.

Either way it's probable that we'll be playing Tag2 until they end online support.

What? The Japanese love them some Tekken. Doesn't seem likely.

Numb

Dammit man after bodying Naqi i thought you were gonna destroy Noctis.That dual audio really got to me too.
2nd place is good though

Wish i had tournaments here. They had a Smash tournament but with a Tekken tournament on the side and only 3 people joined. One guy had been to Final round and said he fought JDCR but lost so i was expecting to get owned but i beat him 20-2 in casuals. He was ok but very very bad against Jinpachi.

X3Z4CLO.png

I think they upgraded my internet again recently. As a result, I've been toying with streaming again, and/or hosting lobbies since Kadey isn't doing it anymore that I can tell.

What I need are good stream settings advice for El Gato HD and OBS 32 bit. It seems like a constant experiment of tweaking settings :( I recently realized trying to stream TTT2 at 1080p is a waste of time, since the game is native 720p and even with a HDCP stripper the El Gato won't recognize anything higher than 720p for the game anyway.
Thanks YouTube for the heads up.
This happens even when the PS3's resolution is set to 1080p. Any tips? Thanks.

PS, this may just be limited to weekends, since I usually don't get home from work until 1030 pm central time during the week.

Edit--
You mean Kadey?
Yes, thanks.

sasuke_91

I think they upgraded my internet again recently. As a result, I've been toying with streaming again, and/or hosting lobbies since what's her name (sorry, I forgot) isn't doing it anymore.
You mean Kadey?

There were at least 7 devices connected to my router yesterday when I was playing. I think that was the reason for the random lagspikes, Doomshine. Good games though.

X3Z4CLO.png

I think they upgraded my internet again recently. As a result, I've been toying with streaming again, and/or hosting lobbies since Kadey isn't doing it anymore that I can tell.

What I need are good stream settings advice for El Gato HD and OBS 32 bit. It seems like a constant experiment of tweaking settings :( I recently realized trying to stream TTT2 at 1080p is a waste of time, since the game is native 720p and even with a HDCP stripper the El Gato won't recognize anything higher than 720p for the game anyway.
Thanks YouTube for the heads up.
This happens even when the PS3's resolution is set to 1080p. Any tips? Thanks.

PS, this may just be limited to weekends, since I usually don't get home from work until 1030 pm central time during the week.

Edit--
Yes, thanks.

Thing about streaming is, even if you have the pipes to put up some awesome quality stuff, it's still gotta be low enough to let viewers watch comfortably. 1080p is out for this reason, also a lot of games don't even support it so it's a waste. Digging around the internet, pretty much everyone suggests not to go over 3000 bitrate unless you're partnered and get the fancy quality changers (Twitch themselves also recommend 3000 as a maximum). Since we're dealing with Tekken here, 60fps is pretty nice to use also. 30fps will offer a better image quality, but if Raven or Jinpachi get on the screen and start cloning/teleporting they won't flicker like in the game, they'll just straight up disappear lol. The rest of the fancy OBS settings can be left alone. 128kbps audio is good enough.

FWIW in my own testings, the stream doesn't start looking super clean at 720p60 until you hit 5000-6000 bitrate. Nothing will stop you from using that if you want, certainly nothing has stopped Kadey. Archives would be a bitch to watch though.

How in the fuck

This is me

4069088162.png
I have ATT Uverse with the Gigapower plan. It's ATT's answer to Googles fiber optic plan. Austin is a big tech city, so they started their service here about a year ago as a test run. Been improving ever since.

Thing about streaming is, even if you have the pipes to put up some awesome quality stuff, it's still gotta be low enough to let viewers watch comfortably. 1080p is out for this reason, also a lot of games don't even support it so it's a waste. Digging around the internet, pretty much everyone suggests not to go over 3000 bitrate unless you're partnered and get the fancy quality changers (Twitch themselves also recommend 3000 as a maximum). Since we're dealing with Tekken here, 60fps is pretty nice to use also. 30fps will offer a better image quality, but if Raven or Jinpachi get on the screen and start cloning/teleporting they won't flicker like in the game, they'll just straight up disappear lol. The rest of the fancy OBS settings can be left alone. 128kbps audio is good enough.

FWIW in my own testings, the stream doesn't start looking super clean at 720p60 until you hit 5000-6000 bitrate. Nothing will stop you from using that if you want, certainly nothing has stopped Kadey. Archives would be a bitch to watch though.

Thanks for the info. Some questions though... I heard non partners get capped at 30 fps still, is that true? If so, should I even bother with 60? I know you can bypass and watch the source anyway with livestreamer / VLC, but how many people do that? Also, do they cap bitrates too for non partners? I heard super high bitrates can cause problems on mobile phones and tend to eat up data plans. And what does it do to archives exactly?

Thanks.

I have ATT Uverse with the Gigapower plan. It's ATT's answer to Googles fiber optic plan. Austin is a big tech city, so they started their service here about a year ago as a test run. Been improving ever since.

Thanks for the info. Some questions though... I heard non partners get capped at 30 fps still, is that true? If so, should I even bother with 60? I know you can bypass and watch the source anyway with livestreamer / VLC, but how many people do that? Also, do they cap bitrates too for non partners? I heard super high bitrates can cause problems on mobile phones and tend to eat up data plans. And what does it do to archives exactly?

Thanks.

I'm not partnered and have streamed at 60fps just fine. It's worth using if you want to use it. Super high bitrates do cause issues on mobile, and for whatever reason archives are always harder to watch than actual streams on Twitch, higher bitrates just make it even harder. Hence the recommended 3000 bitrate maximum. You can still go higher if that doesn't matter to you, we've all seen Kadey's explosive bitrate streams, heh.

sasuke_91

This is mine:

I still get lagspikes with some Europeans, which is weird.

Good games boutdown. Lag + Snake Edge is a deadly combination D:

Dereck

Our connection makes me feel like I'm fighting in a tub full of yogurt. None of my combos were coming out right, I attacked when I didn't even want to, a got launched when I was blocking, etc. So instead of playing seriously, I just goofed around. If we ever got a 5 bar connection I'm sure that we could have some great matches. The 2 bar connection is unfortunate for the both of us.

I'm not partnered and have streamed at 60fps just fine. It's worth using if you want to use it. Super high bitrates do cause issues on mobile, and for whatever reason archives are always harder to watch than actual streams on Twitch, higher bitrates just make it even harder. Hence the recommended 3000 bitrate maximum. You can still go higher if that doesn't matter to you, we've all seen Kadey's explosive bitrate streams, heh.
Now it makes sense why Kadey never saved her archives. Between the super high bitrate and the 3rd party music(getting muted), there was no incentive to keep broadcasts. It's also why I could never seem to watch her streams on mobile now that I think of it.

Interesting.

sasuke_91

Our connection makes me feel like I'm fighting in a tub full of yogurt. None of my combos were coming out right, I attacked when I didn't even want to, a got launched when I was blocking, etc. So instead of playing seriously, I just goofed around. If we ever got a 5 bar connection I'm sure that we could have some great matches. The 2 bar connection is unfortunate for the both of us.

As soon as you started goofing around you also started getting those win streaks :p
It's very unfortunate. I would love to play you with a decent connection. I would love to play everyone with a decent connection really. I sometimes want to play some of Tekken GAF's US-players since I have some of you on my list but it always feels weird. I always wonder how some situations would have went if we were to play on a 5 bar connection.
I wonder if it'll get better with Tekken 7's netcode.

Speaking of good netcode, today TTT2 told me that it found a 5 bars game for me and then connected me to an Italian dude that I had zero bars with FOR THE WHOLE MATCH!

Bonjourno.

sasuke_91

On a 5 bar connection against Steve, I would easily be on a losing streak.
Steve's CH b1 and PKB mixup are the best thing in this game :p
I just looked it up. The distance between us is pretty extreme. More than 8.500 km. I'm starting to think that 2 bars is actually pretty solid^^

Speaking of good netcode, today TTT2 told me that it found a 5 bars game for me and then connected me to an Italian dude that I had zero bars with FOR THE WHOLE MATCH!

Bonjourno.
A lot of 5 bar connections show up as 0 bars for me. I think it's a bug. Was it that laggy? Where do you live?

GrayFoxPL

Good games Sasuke, Terareflection. I made so many stupid mistakes, I was so mad at myself. At 2 bars lag was passable and playable that was a nice surprise.

Anna still scares me way more then Nina. Nice matches.

sasuke_91

Good games GrayFox and Tera. I get solid 3 bars, definitely playable and not that many lagspikes.
I also made some really stupid mistakes. It's really cold outside and my hands were cold and stiff as hell. The D-Pad of my DS4 also became a lot softer than when I bought it and a lot of wrong inputs were the result. d4 became df4 and crouch dashing became some weird shaking. I have to get used to that.
Asuka has some really strong counterhit launchers. And that counter grab makes me panic. I'll never like her :p

A lot of 5 bar connections show up as 0 bars for me. I think it's a bug. Was it that laggy? Where do you live?

It was laggy and choppy as hell. It happened to me before that ages ago, so it's not that big of a deal. The game does occasionally connects me with people that I have a shitty connection with. e.g. asking for a 4+ bars and then connects me with someone that I have 4 bars with him for 5 seconds and 2/3 bars for the rest of the game.

The way that I think the matchmaking in this game works is it tests the ping between the two players once. Unfortunately, ping can be inconsistent and frequent especially with people that uses wireless connections or have bad internet overall.

T7 needs to have a better matchmaking or at least some sort of flagging system where you can flag people that you had bad experience with.

GrayFoxPL

Good games GrayFox and Tera. I get solid 3 bars, definitely playable and not that many lagspikes.
I also made some really stupid mistakes. It's really cold outside and my hands were cold and stiff as hell. The D-Pad of my DS4 also became a lot softer than when I bought it and a lot of wrong inputs were the result. d4 became df4 and crouch dashing became some weird shaking. I have to get used to that.
Asuka has some really strong counterhit launchers. And that counter grab makes me panic. I'll never like her :p

Yeah I often have to use hairdryer to heat up my hands for Tekken. Better have it in close proximity, lol.

VS Asuka you gotta go remind yourself all lows, knees and elbows, shoulders, heads your character has and play by them. Asuka also doesn't counter few jumping moves. Leo is good against her but some characters are ridiculously underarmed. You saw my video about Kazuya? He literally has 3 hi/mid moves Asuka can't counter and one of them is "amazing" 4~3. At least give him back his elbow launcher to even things out.

You must attack more. I noticed you have tendencies to back dash after blocking something instead of attacking. Even if a move is safe most are still minus and opponent must guess your next attack, low, mid, throw. There are only few moves on a character that are + on block.(Asuka has one - f+3 after 2 spins, lol) .
You must launch me after I raw tag. I have a horrible habit of just holding back after tagging in because I can't for the life of me put it in my head that doing a move while tagging in is faster then blocking. If you won't punish me, I'll never learn. Please punish my raw tags.

My obnoxious 1,2,3 setup with Jin. There are holes. I noticed you side step after full string, it's good but I can adapt by hitting 4 and do it again and again until it hits. Best option people do is sidestep left after blocking 1,2, then 3 whiffs and recovery is long enough for a launcher into full combo. Other option is mashing 10 frame jabs after blocking 1,2 they will counterhit before 3 hits. Lee's 2,2,3 is guaranteed.(Literally mash jabs during blocking animation). If 1,2 hits and 3 is blocked then sidestep is the best option but if I stop you with homing 4 remember it's a high, I'll probably eat Hwo's d+4,4 on ch Ling's sidestep sweep etc if you sidestep and instantly go low(your character is crouching). That way I can't lock you down and situation is reversed. I'll get hit by lows, I eventually try to block them, I get hit by ws mids instead, then I back away entirely any you'll be on the offensive.
Yeah you can always get hit by 1,2,4 instead but honestly if you get hit by 4 in 1,2,4 string it doesn't hurt too much on normal hit and you techroll after it to freedom. But 1,2,4 is a total guess Jin players go for it if opponent has figured out 1,2,3. 1,2,4 will beat jab mashing so watch out, huge damage on ch. But it will not beat other strategy that is block 1,2 and down jab. There's still risk though. 1,2, n, hopkick launches d+1. Still this is also a big guess.

Also as Steve make use of those 1,2,1, best stuff ever. Pressure, instant stance transitions, the works. I saw Japanese dude that constantly did 1,2,1 B~db ws+1+2 so fast it instantly crushed every fast high opponent wanted to get back with. Worked wonders. I tried but I wasn't that fast to cancel flicker into db. It should be so fast the flicker isn't visible and after 1,2,1 Steve is instantly crouching. Very cool stuff though, well worth practicing.

T7 needs to have a better matchmaking or at least some sort of flagging system where you can flag people that you had bad experience with.

The weird thing about this is that TTT2 does have a block system in place, but i'm not sure what it does (I suspect it blocks them from messaging you, or only blocks custom outfits). SCV also has a real blocking system that works, so I don't know what the deal is.

Maybe they're just scared that you'll block all of the people better than you and get free wins.

GrayFoxPL

The weird thing about this is that TTT2 does have a block system in place, but i'm not sure what it does (I suspect it blocks them from messaging you, or only blocks custom outfits). SCV also has a real blocking system that works, so I don't know what the deal is.

Maybe they're just scared that you'll block all of the people better than you and get free wins.

Yeah.
I think it only kinda blocks like it's put further in line but eventually connects you if no one else is there, communication is blocked.

T7 is all arcade connected online so I guess they have tweaked netcode to the max, unless it only works on Japanese Ghost in the Shell level infrastructure.

I wonder if arcade machines in the same building connect the same way online too.

Doomshine

I will always be of the opinion that you should not be able to avoid a match in ranked based on anything other than connection quality and disconnect %, nor should any other information about your opponent be available until the match starts.

The weird thing about this is that TTT2 does have a block system in place, but i'm not sure what it does (I suspect it blocks them from messaging you, or only blocks custom outfits).

I think that is your normal block where you stop receiving PMs from him. iirc, Reepal did block a certain double Ogre player on stream cause he always have a bad connection with him and they still get matched whenever they both go to ranked.

And by flagging I meant that the game will tell something similar to: "This dude have a 5 bars connection with you, but last time you've played him the connection wasn't very good. Do you still want to play him?". Blocking wouldn't be functional and can be unfair for those who are having a bad internet day.

sasuke_91

@GrayFoxPL: Thanks for the advice. I practiced Asuka some time ago. I know how to sidestep some of her strings, I know some of her frame data, but I just can't fight her. It's weird. It's like I forget everything I learned about her and just wait for her f2 or her counter grab. I have to go into practice mode some days and just learn everyone's characters.

My offense is garbage. I can't put pressure on my opponent. My backdash is okay, so I tend to overuse it. I don't use enough lows and rarely use throws (if I use them at all). I always fight the same way regardless of the character I fight against. My playstyle works pretty well against Mishimas, but I already know I'm fucked when someone uses Law, Eddy, Nina or Lei.
My defense is also pretty weak. I used to be able to block lows when my random ducking was still a thing, but now I get hit by every low there is in the game. When my opponent is aggressive with lows, I'm too afraid to attack and wait for the low to launch him, but I don't have the reflexes for that. I also lack character knowledge, so I don't even know what my opponent can do.

I'll try to punish your raw tags. And I also have to try and anticipate tag crash. It's a really easy way for an extra launch.
The thing with Jin's 1,2,3... I'm too afraid to anticipate anything, so I just wait for you to finish the string. I'm an idiot. That Steve setup is pretty cool though. I have to try that out.
I think I'll have to change my whole playstyle. Just throw out the things I usually do and strengthen the fundamentals.

Sasuke
To start, anti-character strategies are good to know. Nothing wrong with the advice GrayFox gave. However, what your saying reveals something deeper. From what you just wrote. Your current gameplan is to let the opponent do what they want to do and you'll hopefully guess right. If that is the case, you are not even playing Tekken at that point. Your opponent is playing Tekken, you are essentially their puppet.

I always think about and link this video that opened my own eyes to this wall (I feel like I leveled up 2 fold after the lesson truly hit me). Even if you do not understand Chess, the lesson is still amazing.
http://youtu.be/Rvzw21_3Hs4

BTW, the online tournament is still on for Thursday. I posted about it on Kor's Tekken Academy, but didn't get a huge response. Somewhat relieved, somewhat disappointed. All in all, I am in it for the long haul.

sasuke_91

Thank you. That video was very interesting and it's amazing how this can be directly transferred to Tekken. Letting your opponent put on the pressure on you and dominating the game is something I should prevent in the future.
I mean... I play characters that are meant to be played aggressively. I'm a Hwoarang-player, so I should start to act like one :p

To be honest though, I'm not really sure how to do this. It's hard enough to remind myself to grab now and then. This is going to be tough.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
It's easy, when you have advantage over your opponent that's your chance to set up.
I like to create space by:
-back dashing
-side stepping

There's always a risk playing any move in the open but you to be the aggressor.
E.g. I'd never do a move like Lars' df1+2 in a tight space, it's too slow, but at mid range it's ideal and gives me advantage. (See where I'm going with this?)

Look at your moves that give you plus frames on block and use them somehow (my Lars example would be to be back dash (create space) then df1+2 to switch advantage over to me).
Now my opponent is playing my game, especially since df1+2 leaves them in FC, closing off a massive pool of their move set. Basically you sealed a lot of their options.

E.g.2 another easy example is the Mishima ewgf, which forces an instant mind game with your opponent, especially at the wall.
E.g.3 Oki, ground game.
Make your opponent actively think about his moves while you're pressuring.

sasuke_91

Thank you. Very helpful advice. People say my backdash is pretty decent. My sidesteps need some work, but I'll figure that out eventually.

Hwoarang has a lot of frame traps and moves that will leave him at + (his flamingo mixup only works because of that).

I have to practice that with some of you guys.

AAK

Do you guys know what the most depressing feeling is?

Playing Offline Tekken against people travelling from all accross the East Coast representing their scenes only to go back and play a little online.

I was playing people only a few hundred kilometers away and It reminded of how many worlds apart the experience is. (sigh) But oh well, the tournament was cool... getting second place and all but the only game where I felt like I really had control in the grand finals was the very last game... still got my butt kicked. I have such bad adaptation skills :( But ah well, I'm gonna go hard on GGXrd for a bit while intermittently playing Tekken to keep my skills fresh.

Also... what the heck is Harada doing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWX-jG8ADuw#t=170

I don't know what's more frustrating, that fact that lost two promotion matches to laggy Mishimas+Bruce or the fact that I am forced to drive the crappy car to school today.

Oh well, at least Anna's a destroyer now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom