• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

I don't know what's more frustrating, that fact that lost two promotion matches to laggy Mishimas+Bruce or the fact that I am forced to drive the crappy car to school today.

Oh well, at least Anna's a destroyer now.
What's your goal with ranked, exactly?

I'm asking because, it can't be skill. Let me explain.

Over the years, I've noticed you've been playing ranked non-stop, you've been consistently increasing ranks since the game came out. I quit ranked officially last year. Whenever I play you, you seem better, but I also get better by playing player matches. So I really don't think that you're skill level is increasing substantially by playing ranked so much. I only tell you about my perception, you can explain to me the real reason because I'm ignorant to why you do so.

I can't stand ranked, I got tired of coming in here and saying "well, got demoted twice today", then the next week "almost got Brawler yesterday", then the next week, "got promoted back to Brawler", it gets troublesome really quickly. Player matches have zero consequences, you can find lag free matches depending on who you know, and the ranked thing is not involved, so I'm not nervous or anxious during the match.

I met Setnomessej last year, and the guy has been more than generous with his time. I don't consider him an amazing player, however he's better than me, that's about all I need. I have been able to play people like KOR, WayGamble, and PrincessLing just from him inviting me to his private lobbies.

GrayFoxPL

@GrayFoxPL: Thanks for the advice. I practiced Asuka some time ago. I know how to sidestep some of her strings, I know some of her frame data, but I just can't fight her. It's weird. It's like I forget everything I learned about her and just wait for her f2 or her counter grab. I have to go into practice mode some days and just learn everyone's characters.

My offense is garbage. I can't put pressure on my opponent. My backdash is okay, so I tend to overuse it. I don't use enough lows and rarely use throws (if I use them at all). I always fight the same way regardless of the character I fight against. My playstyle works pretty well against Mishimas, but I already know I'm fucked when someone uses Law, Eddy, Nina or Lei.
My defense is also pretty weak. I used to be able to block lows when my random ducking was still a thing, but now I get hit by every low there is in the game. When my opponent is aggressive with lows, I'm too afraid to attack and wait for the low to launch him, but I don't have the reflexes for that. I also lack character knowledge, so I don't even know what my opponent can do.

I'll try to punish your raw tags. And I also have to try and anticipate tag crash. It's a really easy way for an extra launch.
The thing with Jin's 1,2,3... I'm too afraid to anticipate anything, so I just wait for you to finish the string. I'm an idiot. That Steve setup is pretty cool though. I have to try that out.
I think I'll have to change my whole playstyle. Just throw out the things I usually do and strengthen the fundamentals.

Nah, nah, nah you are too hard on yourself. Your movement is great. Great backdash. Your defense is way better then mine at least. You can duck mid high strings I'd never even attempt like Kaz's df1,2 or Steve's f+2,1. Before I can think about doing anything the string is over. I just jab before anything happens and hope maybe it's a trade at least, lol. On a good day I block a hellsweep once.

You have crazy execution especially with Mishimas like Jin, Kaz, consistent electrics and on my eye you're already wavedashing with them. Same with Hwo and Steve and you get consistent 100+ damage combos.

I hit you off your sidesteps because I constantly tap forward or back and that makes character realign with opponent. It's not really on purpose but because of Mishimas. Every tap forward is a potential crouch dash move but it doesn't have to be. The buffer window after f,n, is pretty huge (I think Kaz has the longest but after ff,n, instead). You can tap forward "Let it go" wait for quite a while and react with what opponent is doing with either d,df move or anything else. So I'm just tapping.

Maybe sidewalk destroys this?

I never really got into sidewalking but I think I should. I forget it exist. I watched one Korean or Japanese Jun player basically sidewalking everyone and hitting her 2,1,4,3(I think) string in the side or on the back. No need for juggles, lol.

You gotta believe in yourself more Sasuke. If you are aggressive +mixing up I can rarely stop you. Like that day when I asked myself: "Am I playing the same guy?!".

Once you back off you give me time to think of stuff like: " Now I'm gonna try to hit him with 2 lows and attempt a mid" "Then 2 lows, mid, low and launcher".

One last thing: attempt every move your character has even the bad ones. It's because you know this move is bad and your opponent(presumably) knows that it's bad so you'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever do it.

Then you do it.

"He did it? Wtf?! Why?"

Like once per two, three, four matches attempt a bad move. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. :D

Example: You never do the last hit of Leo's ff+4,3,4 when first 2 are blocked because it's so bad right? I never seen you do it and I know for 100% you'll never finish it so I just attack after ff4,3 and don't think anything will stop me. Ever.

Same principle with Kazuya's strings. You whack opponent countless times with df+3 and do other stuff after that. Then beside that you start doing df+3,2 sometimes, preferably delayed, and other stuff after it. Then finally this one time you really need it do delayed df3,2,1 and get huge damage and free launch chance. After that opponent will have no idea what to expect. "df3,2,1 is launch punishable! This guy is crazy. *Ragequit"

If you want we can do practice matches instead of usual stuff. Could be fun and beneficial for us both!

I can even do OnlineAsuka*TM and spam b+3(on of my top 10 most hated moves in tag2), f+2 and reversals on frame disadvantage. :D

And once again believe in yourself more.

Btw the reason I won against your Xiaoyu lately is because I monotonously practiced Jin and DJ lately and figured out d+3+4 for both them will launch Xiaoyu anytime she's crouching, in phoenix or backturned and I think crushes her lows at the same time. And if first hit misses the second is still full launch. That move is -19 for Jin and -15 for DJ but against her it's priceless.

I don't know what's more frustrating, that fact that lost two promotion matches to laggy Mishimas+Bruce or the fact that I am forced to drive the crappy car to school today.

Oh well, at least Anna's a destroyer now.

On the other hand what amazing was seeing you reversing deathfist with Anna at 2 bar connection as a final move of our final match :D.

I was like:

ibFS7yfOYEq2n.gif

iZ0LWWUSqI2Xw.gif

Awesome stuff sir. :D

Manbig

I'm asking because, it can't be skill. Let me explain.

Over the years, I've noticed you've been playing ranked non-stop, you've been consistently increasing ranks since the game came out. I quit ranked officially last year. Whenever I play you, you seem better, but I also get better by playing player matches. So I really don't think that you're skill level is increasing substantially by playing ranked so much. I only tell you about my perception, you can explain to me the real reason because I'm ignorant to why you do so.

I can't stand ranked, I got tired of coming in here and saying "well, got demoted twice today", then the next week "almost got Brawler yesterday", then the next week, "got promoted back to Brawler", it gets troublesome really quickly. Player matches have zero consequences, you can find lag free matches depending on who you know, and the ranked thing is not involved, so I'm not nervous or anxious during the match.

I met Setnomessej last year, and the guy has been more than generous with his time. I don't consider him an amazing player, however he's better than me, that's about all I need. I have been able to play people like KOR, WayGamble, and PrincessLing just from him inviting me to his private lobbies.

Not speaking for Tera here, but as much as I shit on ranked, there is a reason to play through it.

The few good players that do play the game online either hang out in ranked, or play their own private matches. Very rarely are these people approachable and willing to give you the time to join in on their private player matches. If offline is not an option for you, you can try to work your way up the ranks to get to play those players more often.

Having said all of that, you will have to put up with the way people play ranked to get to these people. What I mean by that is you're gonna have to work your way through every offline and online gimmick in the book, because what you are going to see most of the time are just gimmicks and set ups designed to easily win one or two matches to people that are ignorant to them. Due to the nature of online, you'll be able to eliminate the offline gimmicks through practice. Those online only gimmicks though... that's just something you're going to have to deal with a whole other way. Typically, that does involve making you play the game in a way that you should not get used to, but that's just the way that it goes now.

Just to inject my opinion. I always play ranked.

I don't play for the ranking or the level or whatever and don't care if I get demoted or whatever. Though I do like that it's tracked and whatever results happened get measured for something.

I just like playing a variety of people (and play styles) in a short amount of time. It's a crapshoot. Gimmicks and weirdness everywhere. I like it. I do the same in SF.

I don't have any top players on my friends to invite anyways. And I am on super late at night or other weird times.

GrayFoxPL

Just to inject my opinion. I always play ranked.

I don't play for the ranking or the level or whatever and don't care if I get demoted or whatever. Though I do like that it's tracked and whatever results happened get measured for something.

I just like playing a variety of people (and play styles) in a short amount of time. It's a crapshoot. Gimmicks and weirdness everywhere. I like it. I do the same in SF.

I don't have any top players on my friends to invite anyways. And I am on super late at night or other weird times.

Yeah, I'm similar.

And peeps in ranked want to win. To the point of being shitheads, kicking in lag switch, rage quitting or whatever. But on the other hand in player matches people randomly give up, stop playing, trolling, "I don't care" etc. making it feel pointless, weightless. But that's randoms.

Playing player with ppl you know feels good.

sasuke_91

Thanks for the encouragement, GrayFoxPL. I think what I do on P2 side is actually a wavedash. It's not fast, but it still looks like one :p
I should probably switch sides now, but that wouldn't be very smart. Left side is still my stronger side. I can play on both sides and this is a huge advantage against players who can only play on one side. That's why I'll stay on left side. This advantage might be gone with T7, but that's another story.

Using more moves... that's definitely something I have to do. Once I learn that a move is bad on block I rarely use it. Many people run into Leo's delayed f+2,2 or df+1+2,2. I just rarely use those moves, even against scrubs.
When I build up momentum I can afford to use a few bad moves. I just have to learn to put on that pressure.

Practice matches would be great. Do you have a headset?
I always thought Jin's d+3+4 was -16. -19 sounds really bad. There are a few moves that can launch Xiaoyu when she's in AOP. I have to be more careful with it.

I have mixed feelings about ranked. I don't think I've ever played a decent Hwoarang, Xiaoyu or Asuka/Jun on my ranks. Losing against people like that is the most frustrating feeling I know in this game. I want to know how far I can get though. I don't feel like Berserker is my limit. I have made it that far with Xiaoyu twice already and I'm better with Hwo.
Playing against so many players and constantly winning is very hard though. Especially since ranked has changed so much over time. I still meet spammers on ranks like 10th Dan, but I've also met very good players on those ranks. I rarely meet players that I'd say were unreachable for me. I mostly lose because of my own stupidity. My goal for now is to become a Warrior and I was on the verge of becoming one more than once.

My ranked escapades were suppose to be humorous, didn't think it would spark such discussion.

I don't really have much luck with player matches, it takes too long to find a room and it takes even longer to actually play a match if it is full. Ranked gives me that instant gratification.

I guess it does tell me what characters I don't know how to play against, but yeah there isn't much value in it other than raising your e-peen.

On the other hand what amazing was seeing you reversing deathfist with Anna at 2 bar connection as a final move of our final match :D.

I was like:
Awesome stuff sir. :D
I think the lag is what probably made me reverse that deathfist in the first place. But thanks, playing Asuka is really making me explore reversals with other characters.

AAK

My goal when I play is to just be solid and have fun. Ranked is just the medium i choose to play by because of the convenience and likelihood I'll fight someone at a certain skill level. BS will happen but just recognize it and move on.

Rank is pretty meaningless in the long run.

Sayah

Congrats on 2nd place AAK. :)

Also doesn't seem like I'll be participating this week in your tournament either ninthpixel. Just got a bunch of stuff handed to me that I need to do for school. Besides classes (thank you great professors for making assignments due on 1st day of class), I've got to look at thesis related stuff.

Sayah

Totally out of the blue. I hope there's some event in the east coast that has Tekken 7. I NEED it. Not sure if I can go to EVO. So far away.

AAK

I doubt anybody's surprised but I definitely would have rather have had another TTT2 tournament... but T7 is better than no 3D game at all!

MarkMan saved the day again.

Sayah

I doubt anybody's surprised but I definitely would have rather have had another TTT2 tournament... but T7 is better than no 3D game at all!

Trust me, you would much rather have Tekken 7.

TTT2 had the lowest entries last year and this year would have likely been much worse. Tekken 7 will help rejuvenate a lot of interest in the franchise and (hopefully) bring in a respectable number of entrants.

I'm really looking forward to trying the game out and I just really hope there's a way it will be featured in NYC or New Jersey somewhere.

AAK

The main thing is how nobody will even bother trying to play any of the new characters because they're just going to go in really hard with their previous game's mains to try and win.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is still early for North Americans, the players here are still leveling up and the game they could have shown if TTT2 was there would have been better than that 3 hour Tekken 7 gameplay will provide.

But worst of all, since Tekken 7 will be 4-5 months old, everyone there will pretty much be trying to emulate all the stuff they're watching people in the Korean/Japanese streams/vids.

But I'm still happy.

Only thing I'm unhappy about is that KI got into the roster but yet games like Skullgirls, UNIEL, and DOA5LR don't get in despite having equal or more entrants and continuously getting support from their companies too.

LowParry

Wait, T7 at EVO? That'd...goddamn awesome but how? Console release or just people going in raw with an arcade cab? Still, so good.

I'm more hype about MKX than T7. T7 is not going to be fun to watch. Westerners won't know what the hell they're doing and try to do the old stuff just like AAK said. The Koreans and JP will have a huge advantage. I've never liked the idea of having a tourney so soon after release. People haven't figured out all the "technology" as Aris likes to joke about. The experience will just be watered down honestly. I realize TTT2 is already pushing up daisies, but T7 so soon after release (pre-release even, for us) is just gonna be messy and possibly scrubby, if anything.

I didn't like it when they did this with TTT1 - arcade nationals, and I don't like it here. I even remember going to the TTT1 arcade regionals and people were scratching their heads because the roster wasn't even complete with the time release characters. (We still had both Ogres and a few others waiting, like... WTF).

If the alternative is no Tekken at EVO, fine. Give the fans what they want and their money's worth, I say. The world won't end because 1 single EVO is all 2D formats. Quality over quantity IMO. If there's no hype, or the timing is bad ... well, who's fault is that anyway? If the Namco Tekken team wasn't so busy with 500 million projects maybe they could focus on putting out something worthy AND in a timely fashion for a major like EVO. This just smacks of half-assery, honestly.

Numb

I'm more hype about MKX than T7. T7 is not going to be fun to watch. Westerners won't know what the hell they're doing and try to do the old stuff just like AAK said. The Koreans and JP will have a huge advantage. I've never liked the idea of having a tourney so soon after release. People haven't figured out all the "technology" as Aris likes to joke about. The experience will just be watered down honestly. I realize TTT2 is already pushing up daisies, but T7 so soon after release (pre-release even, for us) is just gonna be messy and possibly scrubby, if anything.

I didn't like it when they did this with TTT1 - arcade nationals, and I don't like it here. I even remember going to the TTT1 arcade regionals and people were scratching their heads because the roster wasn't even complete with the time release characters. (We still had both Ogres and a few others waiting, like... WTF).

If the alternative is no Tekken at EVO, fine. Give the fans what they want and their money's worth, I say. The world won't end because 1 single EVO is all 2D formats. Quality over quantity IMO. If there's no hype, or the timing is bad ... well, who's fault is that anyway? If the Namco Tekken team wasn't so busy with 500 million projects maybe they could focus on putting out something worthy AND in a timely fashion for a major like EVO. This just smacks of half-assery, honestly.
I am also really hyped for MKX. The fact that each character has three different modes is interesting to me and am curious to see how important it will play in strategies. My hype for tekken 7 is high as well but i already feel like i know how to play that game like i always have and that the learning of the new systems will go by really quickly. I always wanted to egt a Tekken game that would take me months to completely grasp everything new but it seems like Tekken 7 might not be the one. But i do hope i am proven wrong.Getting used to playing one character again might need a little getting used though.

GrayFoxPL

Thanks for the encouragement, GrayFoxPL. I think what I do on P2 side is actually a wavedash. It's not fast, but it still looks like one :p
I should probably switch sides now, but that wouldn't be very smart. Left side is still my stronger side. I can play on both sides and this is a huge advantage against players who can only play on one side. That's why I'll stay on left side. This advantage might be gone with T7, but that's another story.

Using more moves... that's definitely something I have to do. Once I learn that a move is bad on block I rarely use it. Many people run into Leo's delayed f+2,2 or df+1+2,2. I just rarely use those moves, even against scrubs.
When I build up momentum I can afford to use a few bad moves. I just have to learn to put on that pressure.

Practice matches would be great. Do you have a headset?
I always thought Jin's d+3+4 was -16. -19 sounds really bad. There are a few moves that can launch Xiaoyu when she's in AOP. I have to be more careful with it.

I have mixed feelings about ranked. I don't think I've ever played a decent Hwoarang, Xiaoyu or Asuka/Jun on my ranks. Losing against people like that is the most frustrating feeling I know in this game. I want to know how far I can get though. I don't feel like Berserker is my limit. I have made it that far with Xiaoyu twice already and I'm better with Hwo.
Playing against so many players and constantly winning is very hard though. Especially since ranked has changed so much over time. I still meet spammers on ranks like 10th Dan, but I've also met very good players on those ranks. I rarely meet players that I'd say were unreachable for me. I mostly lose because of my own stupidity. My goal for now is to become a Warrior and I was on the verge of becoming one more than once.

Oh yeah explore those options with Leo, you got way better with him. You used to drop his combos now you convert that b+2,1+2 almost every time. When wall is not far I know I'm dead. Oh and as a Leo don't be afraid of Asuka at all. Destroy her with b+1 or f+4 into ws 3,1,2 or ws 1,4,1, f+1+2. If someone is counter happy they will have to forget it is an option for them and last rounds you can fight normally.

Pretty sure Asuka can't counter air moves that look "weird" like Xiao uf+3+4, her California roll 3+4 too likely. Her every low counts in this fight. Same with Lee, abusing lows and uf+4. Hitting 2,2,3 or 1,2,2,3, f+1+2, 3 may be enough sometimes too because of the elbow. Jin has a hard time, because b+3 now instead of f+4 and I keep forgetting not to use f+4 against Asuka. Also abusing his lows, but they are slow. Steve has even worse but quick 1,2,1 4_3 into PKB is decent then in PKB df+2 is an elbow and lows.
Hwo's not to happy either but he has some good lows.

And yeah, natural combos against Asuka or else she mashes reversal during hit and it's done.

Ppl are like "'chicken Asukas counters" but that's only if you purposely chicken eg. after electric because you exactly know it'll get reversed. Chickening every move you do would be some autistic levels of patience and devotion.

But yeah chickening Asuka is the biggest insult for them. Psychologically you won the fight.

I don't think I used headset since PS2 days, but if I'll find any it'll be cool to talk and train at the same time.

My ranked escapades were suppose to be humorous, didn't think it would spark such discussion.

I don't really have much luck with player matches, it takes too long to find a room and it takes even longer to actually play a match if it is full. Ranked gives me that instant gratification.

I guess it does tell me what characters I don't know how to play against, but yeah there isn't much value in it other than raising your e-peen.

I think the lag is what probably made me reverse that deathfist in the first place. But thanks, playing Asuka is really making me explore reversals with other characters.

You got some great countering skills with Anna.

Btw I wish we'd get new reversal animations. Like Devil Jin should have simple "back off" counters like brutally kicking opponent away instantly. Nothing fancy. They could use existing animations. Him having Kazama Style counters always looked out of place for me.

Paul should have new ones too.

What, T7 at Evo. Is this real life

Wow. Tekken 7 and MKX. That Evo will be hype! When's do?

ATP:
From the recent EVO announcement twitch stream, Markman joined into the show to announce that Bandai Namco is working on getting TEKKEN 7 arcade cabinets at EVO 2015 and the cabs will feature pad ports so players can use their own choice of controller for the tournament. Full compatibility with every kind of device however is not guaranteed so be aware of that should you decide to bring an obscure kind of controller. Tekken 7 joins the lineup alongside Ultra Street Fighter 4, Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, Guilty Gear Xrd, Persona 4 Arena, Super Smash WiiU and Melee, Mortal Kombat X & Killer Instinct.

Noice!

The main thing is how nobody will even bother trying to play any of the new characters because they're just going to go in really hard with their previous game's mains to try and win.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is still early for North Americans, the players here are still leveling up and the game they could have shown if TTT2 was there would have been better than that 3 hour Tekken 7 gameplay will provide.

But worst of all, since Tekken 7 will be 4-5 months old, everyone there will pretty much be trying to emulate all the stuff they're watching people in the Korean/Japanese streams/vids.

But I'm still happy.

Only thing I'm unhappy about is that KI got into the roster but yet games like Skullgirls, UNIEL, and DOA5LR don't get in despite having equal or more entrants and continuously getting support from their companies too.

Guys, guys, don't fret about "new", "unknown", "Japanese/Korean advantage". What prestige will have the first international Tekken Tournament? Who cares if eg NIN will destroy everyone with Claudio when most players didn't even figure that character out?

I doubt even NIN/Winner would put any meaning behind it.

We can talk about real competition much later. Evo? Evo will be fun, crazy shit will happen. For laughs.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if eg. Mr.NAPS would won the tourney with Bryan doing 80% of what he ever done. Because we don't know what new stuff will be in in "release" arcade version of T7. If it still be 90% of copy paste like in the loctests I don't see why veterans could not take Evo doing what they always did.

But I think we'll see a lot of new characters. People will spent 2 weeks with eg. Catalina and "Heheh I got some hillarious tech I'll show on Evo." New characters will always have that "unknown shit" advantage. People will use it.

I'm telling you guys, if next month T7 doesn't suck balls(like Korean build) Evo T7 will be a lot fun to watch.

I can only imagine all the funny comments.

Edit: If not, then MKX is gonna be huge deal. Super hyped for MK action as well.

I do not play rank not because I do not want too. I personally can not conquer the stress of it. I know I could easily surpass Conqueror with my Xiao/Steve. The trouble is the stress of it all. Offline majors are less weight on my shoulders than a ranked matched. The only reason I have gotten as high as I have is like others. That desire to play people that would not give you the time of day otherwise. However, I feel as several Koreans have been interviewed to be similarly that rank has not been good to Tekken. It really does separate the community.

And I believe the high ranking players are just as if not more hurt as low ranking. As my friend has said (PSN: LuisMinjarez87 ), "weak players are harder to beat than strong players". You can shrug it off like I did the day he said it, but he has a point. A strong player has a reason for their play that can be understood and dissected. A weak player can have no reason at all for doing what they do, and can care less about your elaborate strategies. If you aren't careful, you can be the mind reading super computer that overloads in the presence of a complete air-head. This is why I think online gets hated on a little too much. Latency is an issue for sure, but online just forces us to play such "air-heads". The little number in the corner just gives us false encouragement. "I wouldn't fall for that if it was offline!" You say? Okay...

GrayFoxPL

I do not play rank not because I do not want too. I personally can not conquer the stress of it. I know I could easily surpass Conqueror with my Xiao/Steve. The trouble is the stress of it all. Offline majors are less weight on my shoulders than a ranked matched. The only reason I have gotten as high as I have is like others. That desire to play people that would not give you the time of day otherwise. However, I feel as several Koreans have been interviewed to be similarly that rank has not been good to Tekken. It really does separate the community.

And I believe the high ranking players are just as if not more hurt as low ranking. As my friend has said (PSN: LuisMinjarez87 ), "weak players are harder to beat than strong players". You can shrug it off like I did the day he said it, but he has a point. A strong player has a reason for their play that can be understood and dissected. A weak player can have no reason at all for doing what they do, and can care less about your elaborate strategies. If you aren't careful, you can be the mind reading super computer that overloads in the presence of a complete air-head. This is why I think online gets hated on a little too much. Latency is an issue for sure, but online just forces us to play such "air-heads". The little number in the corner just gives us false encouragement. "I wouldn't fall for that if it was offline!" You say? Okay...

Haha I know this very well.

I can put up a fight against some serious great players then next lose totally to someone who spams 3 moves because I'm in this zone, mindset where I expect super smart play and setups!

Haha this is hilarious if you look at it from the side later.

That's why I'm working on two playstyles:eek:ne for totally scrubby play, maximum cheese and other for serious players so I can stand a chance.

Exalted on the KiT stream did make a good point about all that, he said "Lei is easy to beat if you don't understand him. But once you are aware of all of his mind games, he becomes hard to beat". I find this 100% true vs all gimmick/setup/confusing characters. This ties in to what you guys are saying too, I guess. YOLO style can overpower or override strategy, because there's no respect for it. Who cares if you are -13 if you mash a hopekick and still crush that incoming low / mid mixup. In my limited experience, you have to fight YOLO with more YOLO, aka fire with fire, but you have to temper it just a tad. You only have to adapt to whatever they're doing then +1 it.

This is why I've always struggled competitively too, because you're only as good as your competition. If everyone you play is a scrub/noob/etc and they don't care about getting better, you aren't going to learn much or level up. This is why I miss my old Tekken crew in my area. The OG days of offline gatherings and small tourneys. People who were serious at improving pushed everyone else's boundaries, and vice versa. It's also why I traveled to just about every local I could in my state, because at some point my crew topped off or stopped playing. Other crews had a fresh way of playing a character that I hadn't seen before, etc.

Here's to hoping a simplified T7 will put some fire back in the offline scene here.

sasuke_91

@GrayFoxPL: I think the problem with Asuka was that I never knew what she can counter. "Lows and throws" was my strategy against her. This might become a little easier now.
Talking would be cool. My English is horrible, but I hope you'll be able to understand me :p

Tekken 7 at EVO is some good news. I hope people will get super hyped and a console release will not be that far away. It would be cool if after the finals Harada was like "We hope you're hyped for Tekken 7, because next month it'll come to consoles". *me screaming like a school girl*

In Ranked there's this guy I always meet when I hit the lower ranks. He had over 25.000 matches yet never made it past Brawler. He was a Berserker once, but that's probably a long time ago when ranking up was easier.
He plays Forest Law and Julia (or was it Michelle?) and he just doesn't learn. He always uses the same moves (d+2,3, b+3,4, db+4) and gets launched for it. And he still has a 50% win rate. I've never seen anyone being as consistently bad as him, which makes me more mad than it should :D

Numb

I usually never played ranked. The last i remember playing it was the second week after Tag 2 came out. It seemed easier than Tekken 6 ranked and it felt boring so i just stopped cos i thought no one was playing it.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
When dealing with Asuka I:
-Make use of knees and elbows. (These can't be reversed and are ideal during tight frame moments).
-Chicken only certain moves that I know they'll attempt to reverse.
E.G. Devil Jin b,f2>1>2 string is delay-able, opponent will attempt to reverse the last hit, easily buffer f2+4 into the last two input and continue the pressure, I would do laser scraper again or something just to mess with them.

Also, have a response for when you DO chicken (throw_go low_attempt an electric/launch_continue pressure), people don't expect to be chickened, take advantage.

If all else fails...Lars UF3 *cough* (or equivalent).
P.S. Is there going to be another online tourney?

Dereck

I'll keep this brief, when we used to play years ago, you used to be hard, now, you don't seem to be at all. Not because you've gotten worse, but I think it's because that I play so many player matches, with good players, that when I come back and play a lot of the people here, the matches are easier, the setups are easier to predict, the reversals are predictable, the pressure a lot of you used to have over me is nearly non-existent now. AAK can own me up with Steve because Steve is just a weakness that I have, but besides that guy, AAK isn't kicking my ass anymore. Thanks for explaining why you play ranked, I guess my point is, player matches are good too. You have to know good players, good players know other good players, player matches are like crack to me in Tekken.

sasuke_91

I usually never played ranked. The last i remember playing it was the second week after Tag 2 came out. It seemed easier than Tekken 6 ranked and it felt boring so i just stopped cos i thought no one was playing it.

Ranking has changed a lot. I remember when I bought the game I made it to Master with nearly 100% win rate. Today Brawlers are able to do max damage combos, I've seen Fighters who had very decent wavedash. It definitely has become a lot harder. I think you'd be able to make it to Yellow ranks with no problems. You have that aggressive playstyle that I lack. Even if you say your defense is weak, this won't be an issue.
I remember your profile saying that you were a Berserker once.

When dealing with Asuka I:
-Make use of knees and elbows. (These can't be reversed and are ideal during tight frame moments).
-Chicken only certain moves that I know they'll attempt to reverse.
E.G. Devil Jin b,f2>1>2 string is delay-able, opponent will attempt to reverse the last hit, easily buffer f2+4 into the last two input and continue the pressure, I would do laser scraper again or something just to mess with them.

Also, have a response for when you DO chicken (throw_go low_attempt an electric/launch_continue pressure), people don't expect to be chickened, take advantage.

If all else fails...Lars UF3 *cough* (or equivalent).
P.S. Is there going to be another online tourney?
As GrayFoxPL said, Leo is a character I should use against Asuka players. Leo has a lot of shoulders, knees and elbows that can't be reversed.
Many Asuka players reverse after having a low blocked. I could try a WS+1/WS+3 on purpose to just chicken my out and make them lose composure.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Numb

Ranking has changed a lot. I remember when I bought the game I made it to Master with nearly 100% win rate. Today Brawlers are able to do max damage combos, I've seen Fighters who had very decent wavedash. It definitely has become a lot harder. I think you'd be able to make it to Yellow ranks with no problems. You have that aggressive playstyle that I lack. Even if you say your defense is weak, this won't be an issue.
I remember your profile saying that you were a Berserker once.

I made it to berserker pretty quickly and just stopped afterwards with ranked all together since i got there super easily but in Tekken 6 i barely held on to Rogue. If Ranked has improved since then i might give it a go and see how far i can get with my dumb Mokujin/Jinpachi team.

Manbig

I'll keep this brief, when we used to play years ago, you used to be hard, now, you don't seem to be at all. Not because you've gotten worse, but I think it's because that I play so many player matches, with good players, that when I come back and play a lot of the people here, the matches are easier, the setups are easier to predict, the reversals are predictable, the pressure a lot of you used to have over me is nearly non-existent now. AAK can own me up with Steve because Steve is just a weakness that I have, but besides that guy, AAK isn't kicking my ass anymore. Thanks for explaining why you play ranked, I guess my point is, player matches are good too. You have to know good players, good players know other good players, player matches are like crack to me in Tekken.

While you have certainly improved leaps and bounds, the last time that we fought, you weren't able to handle Marduk level 1 gimmicks like 1,2,f1 abuse. That is exactly the kind of thing that you have to learn to deal with when playing ranked, so there is value there, so long as you approach it with the correct mindset.

Dereck

While you have certainly improved leaps and bounds, the last time that we fought, you weren't able to handle Marduk level 1 gimmicks like 1,2,f1 abuse. That is exactly the kind of thing that you have to learn to deal with when playing ranked, so there is value there, so long as you approach it with the correct mindset.
You're right about that, I would like to play you again, however you seem busy whenever you're online.

Manbig

You're right about that, I would like to play you again, however you seem busy whenever you're online.

That's not exactly the case. Just that I have notifications turned off and don't check my messages very often. The last few times you tried to hit me up, I got back to you a few minutes later and you were already gone. If you wanna set a time here to meet up, and I'm available, I'm down to play some.

Manbig

GGs Bout and Sasuke.

I purposely avoided using the gimmicks in the earlier matches and then brought them out in the last match that we had Bout. Did you notice the difference? If you can't throw break, you are pretty much forced to challenge Marduk after the jabs with hard guesses.

- If you think 1,2,f1 is coming out, you duck the last hit and launch. You will not be able to sidestep the last hit, and it is about +4 on block, so if I keep my frames tight, you won't be beating out my follow ups unless you SS them.

- If you think 1,2, VTS f1 is coming out, you SS and launch. The second hit of VTS f1,2 comes out too slow to stop you from your SS into launch. Of course, you can also just block punish it, but I believe it's variable between -12 ~ -13 depending on range. I also tend to only do f1 more often rather than finishing the string, so you'll get rewarded higher for SS launching the f1 rather than waiting for the second hit to come out.

- If you think 1,2, VTS d1+2 is coming out, you block and punish. It has semi consistent tracking, so SS it is not that great of an option. It's also like -100 since blocking the first hit pushes you back and the follow up mid has like zero range. You can punish Marduk with whatever the hell you want when you block this thing.

Hit up training mode and get used to punishing these things. Make me work for it harder and I'll be forced to adapt by changing up timings, but try not to just let me get away with it for free. Same advice goes for you, Sasuke.

Seen it brought up, so another reminder going up. Yes, the online tournament is still on.

Fingers To Fight TTT2 Online Tournament

Free Entry

When
January 22nd, 2015, 9:00PM Eastern Time
Intended to run every Thursday before ATP Live.

Where
PlayStation 3 Tekken Tag Tournament 2
http://www.twitch.tv/fingerstofight
I'll post the Challonge signups and bracket the day of the tournament.

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games
Solo & Tag Allowed
16 Player Cap (subject to change)

Rules
Restricted to North America
Latency is mutual and will just be tolerated. Lag switches are banned.
In the event of disconnect. Game and round score will be continued upon restart. Three retries will be attempted if disconnect continues. If the players simply cannot connect to each other. The last resort will be a FT3 Rock,Paper,Scissors in the Stream Chat.

1st Place Prize
$10 PSN Gift Card (code will be sent to the winner's PSN inbox)

With the announcement of Tekken 7's global tour and EVO tournament. I am curious if I should just run Solo. Whether that be TTT2 Solo or TR Solo. In my eyes, Tag died last night. What do you guys think? Oh, and don't worry about coins, tickets and stats if Tekken Revolution is the game decided. There will be no stats and I'll host premium rooms.

AAK

Tekken Revolution tournaments would indeed be a good idea.. it'll be the medium with which people will train for EVO.

But I'll always prefer TTT2. TR is too boring for me.

sasuke_91

GGs boutdown and Manny. We got a pretty solid connection (between 3 and 4 bars), much like with Sayah. Surprised me a lot.
I have to practice Marduk a lot. Much like I have to practice... every single character that I don't play myself... Thanks for the advice.

And good games GrayFoxPL. Thanks for the practice session. The timing for the jabs against Jin's 1,2,3 is very very strict. It's very helpful at the wall though. When I play Lee or Leo I'll probably get a wall splat.
That FT3 was great. When you almost won 3 rounds straight I just went full "nope" and fought for my life. We should do this more often. That was a lot of fun :D

GrayFoxPL

Wow my console kept freezing on boot and I thought it was done but managed to boot it in that emergency mode and rebuild the hard drive. Phew.

Good games Sasuke. Today was different and fun. Like you see Asuka is not that scary and relies more on "my move will beat yours" then some kind of amazing offense. You can outmaneuver her and you did. Hardest thing is limit the usual strikes and abuse lows, shoulders etc. but you did good. Your Steve surprised me how well he beat Asuka. Setups with jabs into 3,2 or 4,1 and Albatros 3+4 F PKB df+2 were perfect against her. Hwo can low poke her well with ss4 looking the best. Leo took care of her rather clean, though his pokes felt rather easy to counter, so yeah when you used more elbows etc. she became useless hehe. Xiao seemed to have most trouble and uf3+4 shockingly can be countered when up close. Like the first kick is something normal, huh. Very strange. But at least from distance it seemed to beat all Asuka's general options. I tried counters, hopkicks, b+3, f+2 etc. Bounds in air and wallsplats so at least your Xiao has this and lows to fight Asuka.

Wowzwers that 1,2,3 is harder to deal then I thought(T7 nerf incoming). Very difficult to even jab, I don't know how few people sidestepped it and electric me in the face. Cyborgs or something.

But did you notice after training how much better you did in actual match? In our first fight you stopped the setup 4-5 times and it cost Jin a lot of health in effect.
Then you started your own ways of destroying that setup, blocking 123 then sidestep and b+1 boom with Steve and Jin loses half of health. After that you used different moves after sidestep, ch sweeps etc I think also Steve's ws 1+2. Super effective.

Btw I noticed you used jabs into flicker into ws+1+2 - that shit was so good man! It's also very surprising when I got used to seeing Steve, his usual moves etc. but that cancel into ws+1+2 comes so unexpected it's hard to react.

So you're making a comeback and again started to be aggressive and I'm losing round after round. My DJ flying doesn't pay off anymore and costs me matches. You don't realize that in these last rounds you destroyed even more 1,2,3 then before. I did the input many times but before Jin pulled it off he got ch by your aggressive sweeps, ducking and crouch dash moves, ws+1+2 or Xiao's sidestep sweep, haha.

Seems this is the best way to deal with it. But it's also logical. 1,2,3 is two highs and a mid that isn't instant so before it actually hits a crouching opponent it takes something close to 40 frames so any move that puts character in crouching and avoids highs is likely to win every time. I seriously run up to you and inputed 1,2,3 and before 1,2 animation was over jin was flying because you did ss+3 with Xiao at the same time, hahah. I'm telling you I was almost laughing at end of the match because you were destroying so many 123s and probably didn't see them. :D.

Edit: And that AOP on reaction making it whiff totally. Unexpected tech :D.

And yeah FT3 was mad fun, we must do it again! Maybe even FT5.

sasuke_91

Yeah Asuka's counter kind of becomes useless when you know how to deal with it. The only times it should hit is when I'm a little off with my punish. If you hit her at the very end of the animation she won't do a counter either. I also launched her when I hit her a bit off-axis with Steve's PKB u+2.
AOP evading Jin's 1,2,3 completely surprised me a lot. Xiao does that small sidestep when she goes into AOP which makes Jin's 3 whiff. I tried to hit you with AOP uf+3,3 ff+1+2,1+2, but it whiffed because of the angle. Should have gone with AOP uf+3,1 instead.
Did you notice that I couldn't block a single d+3+4 of either Jin or DJin? Got hit everytime :D

GrayFoxPL

Yeah Asuka's counter kind of becomes useless when you know how to deal with it. The only times it should hit is when I'm a little off with my punish. If you hit her at the very end of the animation she won't do a counter either. I also launched her when I hit her a bit off-axis with Steve's PKB u+2.
AOP evading Jin's 1,2,3 completely surprised me a lot. Xiao does that small sidestep when she goes into AOP which makes Jin's 3 whiff. I tried to hit you with AOP uf+3,3 ff+1+2,1+2, but it whiffed because of the angle. Should have gone with AOP uf+3,1 instead.
Did you notice that I couldn't block a single d+3+4 of either Jin or DJin? Got hit everytime :D

Oh yeah I didn't think of it. Maybe sidestepping and hitting countering asuka allows for all moves to get in? Wow, that would be awesome.

Yeah the only quirk about her is guessing whenever opponent will be holding counter for short or long. If it's short you just wait a second and can launch her even if her hands are still in the stance but if someone keeps holding it that attempt will be countered.

I remember Aop uf+3,3 hit me after you avoided 1,2,3. The rest whiffed? Btw felt really like Jin was stuck in place for a long time after you duck with AOP, quite big frame advantage for her.

Oh yeah d+3+4 can be crazy, I just abuse it now until I get a painful lesson. But if you aren't used to launch punishing this, then just fire any good ff move since it'll likely punish even at a distance. Generally ff moves give decent damage and oki.

Gambit61

Trust me, you would much rather have Tekken 7.

TTT2 had the lowest entries last year and this year would have likely been much worse. Tekken 7 will help rejuvenate a lot of interest in the franchise and (hopefully) bring in a respectable number of entrants.

I'm really looking forward to trying the game out and I just really hope there's a way it will be featured in NYC or New Jersey somewhere.

That would be cool. I live not that far north of NYC.

Numb

oBuheCx.jpg

Replace the center with playing TTT2 online
I played ranked today for the first time in a while and it was weird. My second match i faced a lag-switcher and i lost two ranking opportunities to solo players which i now despise. There were a couple who had played over 20 000 matches but were grandmasters instead of much higher ranks too. Coming off from playing player matches since launch, what i feel now is a hole in my chest i need to fill with ranks only to lose to solo players.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Seen it brought up, so another reminder going up. Yes, the online tournament is still on.

Fingers To Fight TTT2 Online Tournament

Free Entry

When
January 22nd, 2015, 9:00PM Eastern Time
Intended to run every Thursday before ATP Live.

Where
PlayStation 3 Tekken Tag Tournament 2
http://www.twitch.tv/fingerstofight
I'll post the Challonge signups and bracket the day of the tournament.

Format
Single Elimination
3/5 Rounds
2/3 Games
Solo & Tag Allowed
16 Player Cap (subject to change)

Rules
Restricted to North America
Latency is mutual and will just be tolerated. Lag switches are banned.
In the event of disconnect. Game and round score will be continued upon restart. Three retries will be attempted if disconnect continues. If the players simply cannot connect to each other. The last resort will be a FT3 Rock,Paper,Scissors in the Stream Chat.

1st Place Prize
$10 PSN Gift Card (code will be sent to the winner's PSN inbox)

With the announcement of Tekken 7's global tour and EVO tournament. I am curious if I should just run Solo. Whether that be TTT2 Solo or TR Solo. In my eyes, Tag died last night. What do you guys think? Oh, and don't worry about coins, tickets and stats if Tekken Revolution is the game decided. There will be no stats and I'll host premium rooms.

How do I sign up? Keep tag. I'll wait until T7 then go solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom