• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

Ranked battles are good for training against people doing unexpected/random/shenanigans/yolo stuff i feel. Aaaand that happens to be what i'm worst against so i do think it's a pretty good use of my time. Definitely not always having fun though <.<
That's my biggest issue with Xiaoyu. I don't know how to make use of her BT mixup against people who mash buttons.

Manbig

You should go back and read the Lucky Chloe reveal thread.

That is still the primary reason that I will not buy the game unless Marduk is in it. The part where it seems like she's not even a very popularly used character only adds salt to that wound, because then it just seems like she's a complete waste of a character slot.

Numb

That is still the primary reason that I will not buy the game unless Marduk is in it. The part where it seems like she's not even a very popularly used character only adds salt to that wound, because then it just seems like she's a complete waste of a character slot.

Marduk is in tho...in a sense.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Marduk is in tho...in a sense.

David-Bowie-Feels-Your-Pain-In-Wince-Reaction-Gif.gif

I really don't care who told Bloodhawk what I posted about him here but man do I think it's amusing that his counter argument is to imply I'm a racist. I don't think anything else ever needs to be said on the matter of his character again.

Sayah

Good luck to boutdown. Hope you win.

Is it being streamed anywhere?

Yeah.........Marduk's not happening.
Especially after that Gigas reveal.

You've probably already spent over $60 just playing the game at D&B. :p
Namco got what they wanted.

I really don't care who told Bloodhawk what I posted about him here but man do I think it's amusing that his counter argument is to imply I'm a racist. I don't think anything else ever needs to be said on the matter of his character again.

There's a lot of people lurking this thread.

Not my place to give any advice but I will say that there's no time for these type of grudges/disagreements.

If you dislike someone, just lose contact with them and avoid them. That's what I would do. lol.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Asking in here because I'm not sure where the Tekken 7 thread is.

Does anyone know if Hwoarang can block during his Flamingo stances now? That flaw was the reason why I switched to Baek as my main and since Baek is gone, I could perhaps be just as good with my Hwoarang as I was with Baek.

Manbig

Yeah.........Marduk's not happening.
Especially after that Gigas reveal.

You've probably already spent over $60 just playing the game at D&B. :p
Namco got what they wanted.

Actually, I've only spent $20 on a D&B card that still has quite a few credits on it. :D

Hey, I've spent so much damn time with this series that I have to at least try out the dumb game!

Does anyone know if Hwoarang can block during his Flamingo stances now? That flaw was the reason why I switched to Baek as my main and since Baek is gone, I could perhaps be just as good with my Hwoarang as I was with Baek.

He would most likely be OP as hell if he could block during it. The whole point of the stance is that you have incredibly strong offensive options out of it, but you have to commit to that offense due to the lack of defensive options.

What I can tell you is that he does seem to realign a few hits into certain strings versus opponents that try to sidewalk to his back.

Good luck Bout!

Sayah

Actually, I've only spent $20 on a D&B card that still has quite a few credits on it. :D

Hey, I've spent so much damn time with this series that I have to at least try out the dumb game!

Only that much? Dayum. I've spent more. Though, I don't have an exact count.

They hated the character not the game.

Yeah, re-read it.

People were pretty much refusing to buy Tekken 7 because of Lucky Chloe and others were quitting the franchise. The hate for the character extended to the full game because a lot of people didn't want to face her or deal with her.

You can say the same thing about a lot of characters in Tekken, including Marduk.

That's true. Plus being a popular character doesn't mean it's a good character. Look at Lars, Bob, and the like. A lot of people don't like them or their designs but they're popular thanks to their A-tier status.

If Chloe got some major buffs, people would be running after her too. But based on the tier lists I've seen, she's like B-tier right now.

Yeah, re-read it.

People were pretty much refusing to buy Tekken 7 because of Lucky Chloe and others were quitting the franchise. The hate for the character extended to the full game because a lot of people didn't want to face her or deal with her.

Eh doesn't count in my book. There's always a character folks hate irrationally (or a feature or a voice actor change or etc.) that people says makes them want to quit. They are usually the first ones to buy the game on release day too. More than likely they'll enjoy the game too.

It's been some years since I last sat down and properly played Tekken, but why don't you think it's not OP for Baek to be able to block during Flamingo?

Baek can't block during his FLA either. He can Punch Parry and Low Parry out of it but that's it.

Manbig

You can say the same thing about a lot of characters in Tekken, including Marduk.

So you piss of the existing fanbase of the character by removing them and adding one that you knew was going to antagonize certain fanbases, and ended up being just as, if not more unpopular anyway? I mean, Harada himself was talking like he knew that Lucky Chloe was going to cause some sort of backlash. Doesn't seem very wise to me.

sasuke_91

Boutdown was at a tourney? Was it streamed anywhere?

As Manbig said, Hwo would be OP if he was able to block in his Flamingo stance.
The trick is not to stay in that stance for too long. You normally start your offense with some attack or string that will get into Flamingo and try to lock your opponent down with his offense after that.

Sayah

Eh doesn't count in my book. There's always a character folks hate irrationally (or a feature or a voice actor change or etc.) that people says makes them want to quit. They are usually the first ones to buy the game on release day too. More than likely they'll enjoy the game too.

lol

You're saying with so much certainty that people are going to buy it regardless of their hate and them saying otherwise.
And besides Lucky Chloe isn't the only reason some people are hating on Tekken 7. A lot of people are also unimpressed by:

1. The rage arts and wish for more revolutionary mechanics.
2. Recycled customization from TTT2.
3. Same returning costumes being used for the last 10 years.
4. Other new character designs besides Chloe.

There's more than one reason. Tekken 7 is definitely getting a lot of hate. There's no denying that.

But despite all the aforementioned issues, I still love the game.

Sayah

Harada said Tekken 7 update is delayed cause they don't want to mess with Capcom's release of SFV. Expect 2017.

So lame. What does a Tekken 7 arcade update have to do with a SFV console release? It's completely different markets that likely won't be competing against each other. Even if they are competing, why are they the ones giving space to Capcom? Tekken 7 got revealed a year before SFV.

My interest for this game will be at zero by 2017 and I won't bother buying it. Release it in 2016 or I'm also out and will just fulfill whatever enjoyment I can get by visiting D&B while the game is still there. I'm not gonna tolerate a wait like Tekken 6 again.

Unless they completely reinvent the wheel and they turn Tekken 7 into something completely different from what it is right now (new mechanics, new costumes, new customs, new everything), yeah no thanks. Let's keep the majority of our fans in the world waiting two years while we cater fully to a niche audience in Japan. I'm all for the arcade model because it refines the game and fixes bug but not if the wait is 2+ years. TTT2 timing was perfect. Only took about a year to translate from arcade to console, even with the Unlimited update.

Harada said Tekken 7 update is delayed cause they don't want to mess with Capcom's release of SFV. Expect 2017.

So they -want- everyone to get into SF5 instead? Well uh, okay then. I'm switching to PS4 for my fighting game needs early next year i think, and i guess i'll be playing SF5, Xrd R and nothing from Namco. ;/

As an aside, i'm glad i'm not one of the people who let a game be ruined for them by one character. Fat slob Birdie might be the most disgusting character design i've ever seen but i'm not about to drop a game over it.

I think it's bullshit as well. Since when did Capcom ever give a fuck when Namco released a game? Feels like Namco is in an abusive relstionship with Capcom. Ono crashes Tekken panels says to order SFV, Harada helps market SFxT, Harada delays his games, & what has Ono or Capcom ever done for Namco & Harada?

Pachimari

I can't stop being pissed at Harada and co. Most often, his answers makes no sense, then SFxTK happened and now he delays the Tekken 7 update to respect the release of Street Fighter V. Right now, I don't even care about Tekken 7, which is weird, since I have been here since Tekken 2, but I'll be back when it eventually releases. ^_^

Dereck

I want to make a thread about this, I'm very close to, but I need a more concrete source. It's on Flying Wonkey's Twitter. Did Harada say this during the Tokyo Game Show? Help me out, please.

Sayah

I think it's bullshit as well. Since when did Capcom ever give a fuck when Namco released a game? Feels like Namco is in an abusive relstionship with Capcom. Ono crashes Tekken panels says to order SFV, Harada helps market SFxT, Harada delays his games, & what has Ono or Capcom ever done for Namco & Harada?
Let's even forget about spacing out different fighting games. What I'd like to know is how Harada is linking a SFV console release (non-arcade title) to an arcade update for Tekken 7 and is waiting to release said update PAST Spring 2016 (according to Wonkey's Twitter). Yeah, f*** right off with that. We'll be getting this game in 2017 on consoles and I'm not buying it if that's the case. Fall 2016 is the latest I'll accept.

I used to be very supportive of the arcade model and thought Tekken 6 release time was a one-time thing. All the other Tekken games besides Tekken 6 released in reasonable time frames to my knowledge. But now it seems like they want to make 2-year model their go-to strategy. Keep milking arcades till it runs dry and then release it on consoles to 95% of your remaining fans 2 years later. Nope. Not supporting that.

Let's even forget about spacing out different fighting games. What I'd like to know is how Harada is linking a SFV console release (non-arcade title) to an arcade update for Tekken 7 and is waiting to release said update PAST Spring 2016 (according to Wonkey's Twitter). Yeah, f*** right off with that. We'll be getting this game in 2017 on consoles and I'm not buying it if that's the case. Fall 2016 is the latest I'll accept.

I used to be very supportive of the arcade model and thought Tekken 6 release time was a one-time thing. All the other Tekken games besides Tekken 6 released in reasonable time frames to my knowledge. But now it seems like they want to make 2-year model their go-to strategy. Keep milking arcades till it runs dry and then release it on consoles to 95% of your remaining fans 2 years later. Nope. Not supporting that.

And many others will feel the same.

This is a bad strategy that wont pay off in the end. I hope Tekken 7 will sell as much as TTT2.

Dereck

Sayah, you're much better at this than me, can you help a brother out. I'm trying to make a thread about "the comment", I have no idea what the thread title should be or how the OP should pan out.

Manbig

So they -want- everyone to get into SF5 instead? Well uh, okay then. I'm switching to PS4 for my fighting game needs early next year i think, and i guess i'll be playing SF5, Xrd R and nothing from Namco. ;/

As an aside, i'm glad i'm not one of the people who let a game be ruined for them by one character. Fat slob Birdie might be the most disgusting character design i've ever seen but i'm not about to drop a game over it.

Really? I think Birdie is the "fat slob" stereotype done right. Certainly much better than Rufus and Bob.

Dereck

Thanks Purifico and ZTS, waiting for a secondary source, the only source I have is Flying Wonkey, and in his Tweet he did not say when or where Harada said this. I tweeted him asking when he said this, he hasn't replied.

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/645533562213498880

Considering that video games news outlets lurk GAF and copy threads from it for their own traffic, I want to make sure that if that happens that there is an actual source.

Thanks Purifico and ZTS, waiting for a secondary source, the only source I have is Flying Wonkey, and in his Tweet he did not say when or where Harada said this. I tweeted him asking when he said this, he hasn't replied.

Considering that video games news outlets lurk GAF and copy threads from it for their own traffic, I want to make sure that if that happens that there is an actual source.

Makes sense. I hope Harada didn't really say that.

Sayah

Sayah, you're much better at this than me, can you help a brother out. I'm trying to make a thread about "the comment", I have no idea what the thread title should be or how the OP should pan out.

Well, it's based off of Wonkey's posts. But yeah, I agree that there should be a direct source.

I really hope it's a translation error but Wonkey is usually on top of these things.

And many others will feel the same.

This is a bad strategy that wont pay off in the end. I hope Tekken 7 will sell as much as TTT2.

It's not definitely not going to pay off. The franchise fanbase has been declining severely since Tekken 6 and I think it's only going to get worse at this rate.

Really? I think Birdie is the "fat slob" stereotype done right. Certainly much better than Rufus and Bob.

I don't like those two either, though i mind Bob a bit less since he has some dignity at least.

I think what makes me hate Birdie so much is how his animations are all so disgusting with the ass scratching and booger flicking. That and perhaps the fact that he wasn't like this before. Rufus and SF5 Birdie are like really tasteless jokes constantly being shoved in your face. Ugh.

Creaking

Honestly, I never understood the hate for Bob by comparison to his counterparts. Bob's worst crimes are being fat and defying gravity while doing so. He's not a slob and he's not obnoxious. He takes himself seriously, which, despite everything else, allows players to take him seriously to some degree as well.

I guess he had some silly food-based customizations, like the hamburger on his head, or the giant utensils, chef's hat. And then there's was all the stuff with the stars and stripes in Tekken 6 (SUBTLE), but all of those things are fairly minor.

Then again, I don't actually dislike Bob. Then again, I don't really watch tournaments either.

Numb

Bob is cool. Unlike the fat stereotype fighter being nasty fat with food and showing their gut most of the time he is not at all like that. Never crossed my mind. Hated because he is good and on tournaments alot. I think there was a top 8 where half were Bob or something.

Sorry I'm late, the source of the quote (the stuff in Japanese) is a transcription of what Harada said on a live stream on Famitsu's Tokyo Game Show booth. I took it from 2ch since I missed out on watching it live. Tried replying to myself with the tweets. I guess Twitter formatting is hard haha. Took the picture from here.

So you piss of the existing fanbase of the character by removing them and adding one that you knew was going to antagonize certain fanbases, and ended up being just as, if not more unpopular anyway? I mean, Harada himself was talking like he knew that Lucky Chloe was going to cause some sort of backlash. Doesn't seem very wise to me.

There's a clear indication that the developer want to appeal to the people that like playing cute waifu material more than anything else EVEN more than ever. I mean, look at the promotional costumes that happened for T7, bikini and idol-master wears get the money out of the weeaboos. That is something that worked pretty well for DoA5 and probably why a series like DoA even exist nowadays.

Harada was taking advantage of the backlash that happened after the Lucky Chloe reveal for PR, including his tweets about her being Asia “exclusive”. I actually imagined that replacing Bruce with an uninspired crybaby pair of tits would cause quite the stir, but maybe not a lot of people cared for him.

DEATH™

There's a clear indication that the developer want to appeal to the people that like playing cute waifu material more than anything else EVEN more than ever. I mean, look at the promotional costumes that happened for T7, bikini and idol-master wears get the money out of the weeaboos. That is something that worked pretty well for DoA5 and probably why a series like DoA even exist nowadays.

Harada was taking advantage of the backlash that happened after the Lucky Chloe reveal for PR, including his tweets about her being Asia “exclusive”. I actually imagined that replacing Bruce with an uninspired crybaby pair of tits would cause quite the stir, but maybe not a lot of people cared for him.

It was because she was the 2nd Filipino char in a fighting game (next to Talim). The character was meant to please a demographic, just like Shaheen.

Honestly, as a Filipino, I'm a bit insulted not because of the design or the character itself, but the Tekken Team not even putting up an effort on the movelist.I get it, they gotta pander, Filipinos are under-represented, but please don't half-ass it. She could've been a Arnis + Silat practitioner but no...

I would've honestly just let Bruce be in and let them take time developing the character instead of this... At this point she's gonna reach Julia-levels (pre-Jaycee) levels of character blandness/shallowness...

Pachimari

Honestly, as a half-Filipino, I would also prefer, that they kept Bruce Irvin in, and gave Josie Rizal a unique fighting style, instead of it just being a copy-paste job.

Creaking

Yeah, I feel the same way. Aside from some exceptions (like the bonus characters in Tekken Tag 2), I'm of the mind that if a new character is going to be a half-baked remix of an old character, they ought to just bring back the old character. I'm not interested in any more new characters in Tekken 7 if they're going to be done like Josie.

It's that they don't want to lose sales to SFV, not the other way around. Plus I feel that Dark Souls, Summer Lesson, and Pokken are bigger priorities for Bamco at this point. Hell, I don't even think Tekken is the top priority for the Tekken team.

sasuke_91

I don't like the "buy 4 Street Fighter IV versions for the full roster" way of release, but I would still prefer that over Bamco's "wait 2 years until we have milked the arcades". Street Fighter 5 was announced a year ago and people were already able to play the Beta. I'm sick of waiting and I will think twice before buying T7 if it doesn't come out until 2017. I refuse to pay full price for a game that's been out for 2 years already.

On another note, I had my first Offline session (aside from the 2 tourneys) yesterday with some people that a few of you know already. GrayFox, Doom and Squirrel know CloudSyler already. Ice_Beam should also be pretty well-known. It was a lot of fun and Online is nothing compared to that :D

Boutdown, how did your tourney go?

On another note, I had my first Offline session (aside from the 2 tourneys) yesterday with some people that a few of you know already. GrayFox, Doom and Squirrel know CloudSyler already. Ice_Beam should also be pretty well-known. It was a lot of fun and Online is nothing compared to that :D

That sounds fun~ How did you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom