• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

Boutdown, how did your tourney go?
The guy that I really wanted to play didn't go because he didn't have enough money. The guy I'm referring to is Heartless (the King player), Heartless and Killacam are the best Tekken players in my state, but they live in Farmington, they occasionally travel from there down here to Albuquerque to compete.

Killacam came, the guy I beat last year in Winners Finals, I lost to him this time.

We fought in Grand Finals, I was in Losers, I reset the bracket, I beat him 4 matches to 0 with Bob/Armor King, he won 2 and I won 5 matches, so it got down to the final round. I ducked a grab and did a potentially tournament winning combo with Armor King/Bob, at the end of the combo, I did Bob's crouch dash 2, he hit the wall, and I then did d3+4 with Bob, and it would have killed him, but it barely missed.

It was great, three things that crossed my mind.

• 1. I don't have a team anymore, I'm not good with any character anymore, more like OK with a bunch. I switched teams frequently. I started out with Law/Bob, and that didn't get anything done at all. I don't know how to play with Law or Bob anymore. Then I switched to Law/Bryan, Lee/Miguel, even Armor King/Bob, nothing seemed to work.

• 2. Online skill does not translate at all to offline. The only thing that translated to offline was my throw breaking skills. I consistently broke throws, that's a good thing.

• 3. Competing takes the fun out of the game. It's good that I competed again, because it made me realize that I don't actually like competing. *wink wink
  • 4. After Killacam won the tournament, he told me something, this is very important. "You were punishing everything I did, I ran out of things to do." That's some cool shit, right?

Another thing, I got to fight Brawlpro this weekend. Yeah, he is THE best player I've faced in Tekken, ever. That guy is something else. Adding to that, he complemented me in a stream after we fought, cool guy.

Another thing, over the weekend I got recruited to this Tekken team, other members in this team are Princeless Ling, Cuddle Core, James, and I'm not on the website yet.

Which is silly because at this point in time I'm pretty much the least enthusiastic about Tekken Tag 2 than I've ever been. Thanks for asking.

sasuke_91

That sounds fun~ How did you do?

It was great. We aren't too many people, but most of them are better than me. We want to do more sessions from now on and have our own Whatsapp-group where we discuss stuff or do Online-sessions now and then.

We fought in Grand Finals, I was in Losers, I reset the bracket, I beat him 4 matches to 0 with Bob/Armor King, he won 2 and I won 5 matches, so it got down to the final round. I ducked a grab and did a potentially tournament winning combo with Armor King/Bob, at the end of the combo, I did Bob's crouch dash 2, he hit the wall, and I then did d3+4 with Bob, and it would have killed him, but it barely missed.

Tekken trolled you... but you got 2nd place again, right? Dude, that's pretty amazing! Congrats! :D

2. Online skill does not translate at all to offline. The only thing that translated to offline was my throw breaking skills. I consistently broke throws, that's a good thing.

This! So much! I manage to break every Giant Swing Offline, but stuff that I use frequently without any worries Online gets stepped, ducked and punished. Especially with Xiaoyu :p

3. Competing takes the fun out of the game. It's good that I competed again, because it made me realize that I don't actually like competing. *wink wink

Competitive Tekken is like Ranking for me. Too frustrating and nerve-wrecking...

4. After Killacam won the tournament, he told me something, this is very important. "You were punishing everything I did, I ran out of things to do." That's some cool shit, right?

Way to go! That sure as hell is some cool shit! :D

Another thing, over the weekend I got recruited to this Tekken team, other members in this team are Princeless Ling, Cuddle Core, James, and I'm not on the website yet.

Which is silly because at this point in time I'm pretty much the least enthusiastic about Tekken Tag 2 than I've ever been. Thanks for asking.
So you're a member there now?
3 years of TTT2 is a lot and with no information as to when T7 is going to get a release, I understand your loss of enthusiasm.

I also have the game for 2 years now. Time sure flies.

Which reminds me... I'm also an active GAF-member for almost 2 years! o_O

Sayah

Congrats on 2nd place boutdown.

I am kind of bored with competitive Tekken myself right now. I'm more invested in Yugioh, lol. Yugioh is allowing for a lot of creativity and fun as far as deck building goes so I'm gonna just be playing that for some time now with some Tekken here and there added in.

Numb

Congrats Bout.
Congrats on 2nd place boutdown.

I am kind of bored with competitive Tekken myself right now. I'm more invested in Yugioh, lol. Yugioh is allowing for a lot of creativity and fun as far as deck building goes so I'm gonna just be playing that for some time now with some Tekken here and there added in.
I do play Tekken online still and with the meetings with the buds.
Also picked up DOA last week and having a blast. The counter holds are a bitch tho and can't wrap my mind around them clearly.

Sayah

Congrats Bout.
I do play Tekken online still and with the meetings with the buds.
Also picked up DOA last week and having a blast. The counter holds are a bitch tho and can't wrap my mind around them clearly.
DoA is very fun but I didn't invest myself much into the series. Tekken just clicked with me more.

And the other thing is time. I don't really feel like playing games after a long day of work. Probably gonna start spending more time at the gym and stuff instead of video games. Priorities seem to be rapidly shifting. I'm growing old. T_T

Numb

DoA is very fun but I didn't invest myself much into the series. Tekken just clicked with me more.

And the other thing is time. I don't really feel like playing games after a long day of work. Probably gonna start spending more time at the gym and stuff instead of video games. Priorities seem to be rapidly shifting. I'm growing old. T_T

Tekken is my main jam but i make it a point to play every other fighter if i can help it. Even played that Battle Fantasia one and Chaos Code when it had no online. Evil looking robot maid was my girl. Only one i haven't touched at all is Arcana. Will do one day tho since that Shigure looking girl Kamui is in.
I played so little this entire year less than any other. I just don't feel like it.

Sayah

Tekken is my main jam but i make it a point to play every other fighter if i can help it. Even played that Battle Fantasia one and Chaos Code when it had no online. Evil looking robot maid was my girl. Only one i haven't touched at all is Arcana. Will do one day tho since that Shigure looking girl Kamui is in.
I played so little this entire year less than any other. I just don't feel like it.

I am the same way. I'll try any fighting game.

Bout, your avatars get creepier to look at each time.

Good stuff with the tournament. I am glad you're getting some notoriety. Honestly, I would compete just to gain some notoriety, but more importantly meet some cool people. I am sure that's the reason why most attend tournaments these days.

I haven't touched Tekken online much, myself. I'd rather play offline, but since I can't, I am just basking in the Gospel that is Dark Souls. I have seen the truth.

Numb

I haven't touched Tekken online much, myself. I'd rather play offline, but since I can't, I am just basking in the Gospel that is Dark Souls. I have seen the truth.
Offline is awesome but hard to do often. Was there yesterday and we even played bloody DR. Fun times.
DS1 is amazing. DS2 is not bad either but not as good.

sasuke_91

YES!

Dark Souls is the best. Definitely the defining single player experience for me last gen.
I still have to play Dark Souls.
I'm still playing Disgaea D2 (such a great game if you're into SRPGS) and will hop into MGS4 again after that (after watching all cutscenes). I played Demon's Souls though.

And Sayah, please don't say that you're old... You're as old as me :p
But well... I only leave the house to study in the library or meet friends. I might have too much time...

Sayah

I still have to play Dark Souls.
I'm still playing Disgaea D2 (such a great game if you're into SRPGS) and will hop into MGS4 again after that (after watching all cutscenes). I played Demon's Souls though.

And Sayah, please don't say that you're old... You're as old as me :p
But well... I only leave the house to study in the library or meet friends. I might have too much time...

You're missing out big time if you haven't played Dark Souls. I hope there will be an HD remaster of the game in the future to fix framerate issues and the like. The world is intelligently designed and beautifully interconnected. The bosses are greatly diversified and many of them require creative, critical, on-the-spot thinking, even as you learn more about them from constant trial-and-error. The NPC characters are equally well-developed and very immersive. The locales and enemy designs are very phenomenal. The game doesn't capture the horror-theme as well as Demon's Souls did in Tower of Latria but it still can produces feelings of anxiety as to what's coming next. It's a really big game with many worlds and a lot to do. The feeling of accomplishment once you get past boss battles like Ornstein & Smough is unmatched.

In comparison, Dark Souls II was kind of a let down. Still a great game but not as good as the first. It had mostly humanoid bosses and a completely terrible world map with awkward placement of bonfires. It also relied maybe too heavily on enemy ambushes to work on the difficulty angle.

Now waiting for Dark Souls III and hoping for the best. It's sad that it's the last title in the series but sometimes it's better to let things end while they're still good instead of letting them become trash overtime. I'm sure From Software will continue to explore the Souls formula through other avenues (e.g. Bloodborne).

sasuke_91

You're missing out big time if you haven't played Dark Souls. I hope there will be an HD remaster of the game in the future to fix framerate issues and the like. The world is intelligently designed and beautifully interconnected. The bosses are greatly diversified and many of them require creative, critical, on-the-spot thinking, even as you learn more about them from constant trial-and-error. The NPC characters are equally well-developed and very immersive. The locales and enemy designs are very phenomenal. The game doesn't capture the horror-theme as well as Demon's Souls did in Tower of Latria but it still can produces feelings of anxiety as to what's coming next. It's a really big game with many worlds and a lot to do. The feeling of accomplishment once you get past boss battles like Ornstein & Smough is unmatched.

In comparison, Dark Souls II was kind of a let down. Still a great game but not as good as the first. It had mostly humanoid bosses and a completely terrible world map with awkward placement of bonfires. It also relied maybe too heavily on enemy ambushes to work on the difficulty angle.

Now waiting for Dark Souls III and hoping for the best. It's sad that it's the last title in the series but sometimes it's better to let things end while they're still good instead of letting them become trash overtime. I'm sure From Software will continue to explore the Souls formula through other avenues (e.g. Bloodborne).

I definitely want to play it soon. Just haven't done so until now :p
And yeah, Demon's Souls was a similar experience for me. Playing Disgaea first might have been a mistake, because I'll definitely need 100h+ to really complete it. I should stop playing so much Tekken. Now that I lost interest in ranking I'll only play if someone's Online that I want to play with.

Bloodborne is one of the first games I intend to play when I get a PS4 (should be happening in a few weeks). The PS4 has become too good of a console to miss out on it anymore.

Sayah

I definitely want to play it soon. Just haven't done so until now :p
And yeah, Demon's Souls was a similar experience for me. Playing Disgaea first might have been a mistake, because I'll definitely need 100h+ to really complete it. I should stop playing so much Tekken. Now that I lost interest in ranking I'll only play if someone's Online that I want to play with.

Bloodborne is one of the first games I intend to play when I get a PS4 (should be happening in a few weeks). The PS4 has become too good of a console to miss out on it anymore.

Bloodborne is really great and exhilarating as well. I prefer the Souls games over Bloodborne though.

Sayah

DS2 is the best game in the series

DS1 second

Big Gap

Bloodborne

Gap

Demon's Souls

What in the........

This is the correct ranking everyone.

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2

I already explained why Dark Souls 2 is worst ranked. Not to mention the significant hit it took with graphics. I don't know if the HD remaster improved things significantly but this is based off the PS3 version of DSII.

It's still a better game than 95% of the other stuff out there but I would rank it as the worst Souls game.

@Numb

I personally rank DaS above DeS but there are some that think otherwise.

Numb

What in the........

This is the correct ranking everyone.

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2

I already explained why Dark Souls 2 is worst ranked. Not to mention the significant hit it took with graphics. I don't know if the HD remaster improved things significantly but this is based off the PS3 version of DSII.

It's still a better game than 95% of the other stuff out there but I would rank it as the worst Souls game.

@Numb

I personally rank DaS above DeS but there are some that think otherwise.

Guessed about that.
DS2 is still the lowest..srry ZTS

Guessed about that.
DS2 is still the lowest..srry ZTS

Best online features, best gameplay. Trying to say DS2 is not the best DS is like saying Tekken 3 is better than Tekken 6. You can have nostalgic justification all you want but DS2 is the best game.

Bloodborne is a complete downgrade from Dark Souls 2 in everyway & Demon's is just a mediocre game.

You can think DS is better than DS2 but DS2 is light years better than DeS & BB.

Numb

Best online features, best gameplay. Trying to say DS2 is not the best DS is like saying Tekken 3 is better than Tekken 6. You can have nostalgic justification all you want but DS2 is the best game.

Bloodborne is a complete downgrade from Dark Souls 2 in everyway & Demon's is just a mediocre game.

You can think DS is better than DS2 but DS2 is light years better than DeS & BB.

It ain't nostalgia since i played them back to back. Gameplay would ofcourse improve since its a sequel but everything other than that..no
The story is worse,the entire structure of areas and maps are worse,bosses are just dude after huge dude in armour with a big ass sword mostly. Don't play the online aspect so i wouldn't know. Enjoyed BB more since it was something fresh from the all those knights.
Burnout of playing back to back might have soured me tho.

Sayah

How are you completely ignoring the terrible aspects of DS2?

-I don't care about online
-Severe graphical downgrade
-Terrible world design/map with very awkward placement of bonfires
-NPCs not as fun or interesting as DeS or DaS1
-Mostly humanoid bosses that were just not as fun as the previous games
-Over reliance on enemy ambushes as a difficulty-increasing strategy
-Hitboxes

Just to give a sample, this is Dark Souls 1:
The+smoothest+of+all+gifs+_d97ff8_5483977.gif

This is Dark Souls 2:
GrossGaseousAntarcticgiantpetrel.gif

I also can't believe you called DeS mediocre. :/

Sayah

That's not the only example btw. I've had these issues when playing through DS2 and there are other gifs to demonstrate this.

It's not that I hate it. I love DS2 and enjoyed playing it regardless. I just consider it the worst Souls game, which is still a good thing to be at this point in time. lol.

Edit: Other example.
ThriftyRightAmericanriverotter.gif

Also, this is funny.

Dark+souls+3+s+gameplay+arises_2181b6_5576158.gif

sasuke_91

Calling Demon's Souls mediocre o.o
I heard a lot of different opinions on how people rank the 4 games. Having so many different opinions and ranking orders to me just proves how great those games are.
I'll play DS1 soon and DS2 when I get a PS4. A friend of mine has the game and would lend it to me.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can get top 8 consistently in major tournaments. I've been to three tournaments, and all of them were small.

I perform the way that I do in tournaments because I am still extremely inexperienced.
I totally agree. I get extremely nervous in whatever it is that involves people watching me. I was at 2 really small tournaments and there weren't many people watching, but I still got too nervous. You know that feeling when you know you're gonna lose but you want to put some pressure on your opponent at least? That's when I fuck up :p

Do you intend to attend more tournaments from now on? From what you've posted, your experience doesn't seem too bad, but your loss of enthusiasm and the tense tournament atmosphere make me curious.

av2k

Never played a souls game but watching it on twitch is pretty entertaining and intimidating. Don't think I have the time to sink into a notoriously difficult game like that.

Numb

Never played a souls game but watching it on twitch is pretty entertaining and intimidating. Don't think I have the time to sink into a notoriously difficult game like that.

Patience is your ally. Just never attack when the enemy is doing anything at all and you'll be fine.

Sayah

lmao

ADjxMM5.png

My picture caused quite a stir on Kor's Tekken Academy. Some agreeing, others calling me bad names for daring to do such a thing. If you need a source, here you are:
https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/645532947177574401

I like SFV so I will support it. :p

People like to overstate the difficulty sometimes. It's more trial-and-error. You die once. You go back into the same area and avoid the mistake you made the first time. Along the way, you open up shortcuts and just learn as you go.

Yes, there are some bosses that are very difficult but the accomplishment of overcoming them is equally satisfying.

All this Souls talk is now making me re-re-install Steam so I can play it.

Manbig

While I agree that the difficulty of the Souls series is pretty overstated, it doesn't change the part where it's a very time consuming game to play. If that really is a deal breaker for you Av, then you might want to avoid it.

If you are REALLY curious though, consider grabbing Dark Souls 1 on steam during one of the many sales. It'll be like $5, which I see as a totally reasonable amount of money to spend on a game that might end up dropping quickly if it doesn't meet your requirements.

Sayah

Around 50 hours is standard for beating a Souls game. If you only like quick, exhilarating 10 hour campaigns, then maybe that's long.

I don't notice time fly by when playing Souls games. It's not time consuming in a negative sense. Once it clicks, you get very involved in the game and actually want it to keep going and not end.

AAK

Just popping back into this thread to wish everyone here a happy Eid Al-Adha Mubarak.

Been trying to post less and less here because of my negative attitude. I'm still infinitely livid @ Namco for nearly everything they're projecting onto this series I once held so beloved. But I'm also at a fault for projecting my standards and expectations on everyone else. Sorry to all for being the catalyst that turned this OT into the state it's in now. Gonna try to say nothing about T7 here until a console announcement happens.

Just popping back into this thread to wish everyone here a happy Eid Al-Adha Mubarak.

Been trying to post less and less here because of my negative attitude. I'm still infinitely livid @ Namco for nearly everything they're projecting onto this series I once held so beloved. But I'm also at a fault for projecting my standards and expectations on everyone else. Sorry to all for being the catalyst that turned this OT into the state it's in now. Gonna try to say nothing about T7 here until a console announcement happens.

You have been very pessimistic but with everything considered I don't blame you.
The excitement wasn't there compared to previous titles to begin with this is just making it worse.

Sayah

Eid Mubarak

Don't worry about T7. You're not the only one with negative perceptions here. I like the game but I also have my qualms with it.

There are very legitimate complaints and I wish people just conveyed them more constructively instead of the general "boo hoo, this game is ish, I'm not buying it, f*** you Harada, bring back X character."

And the devs also get very defensive in supporting their game. I mean they have to be consciously aware that they're recycling so much (animations, Tag 2 customization, returning costumes from the last 10 years, and the like) and have put forward an abysmal effort at creating new designs. If you look at SFV, the characters look extremely refined and well-developed. Tekken 7 new characters are looking half-baked and rushed. You look at SFV Ultras and they are legitimately hype-inducing and good. You look at most rage arts for Tekken 7 and it's just a boring mish mash of command list moves. Like how do you not use Kazumi's tiger in her rage art? It's like the most common sense thing to do.

Manbig

Unless Facebook is bullshitting me, it's apparently AAK's birthday!

Happy birthday brother! Don't get too crazy celebrating.

Eid Mubarak

Don't worry about T7. You're not the only one with negative perceptions here. I like the game but I also have my qualms with it.

There are very legitimate complaints and I wish people just conveyed them more constructively instead of the general "boo hoo, this game is ish, I'm not buying it, f*** you Harada, bring back X character."

And the devs also get very defensive in supporting their game. I mean they have to be consciously aware that they're recycling so much (animations, Tag 2 customization, returning costumes from the last 10 years, and the like) and have put forward an abysmal effort at creating new designs. If you look at SFV, the characters look extremely refined and well-developed. Tekken 7 new characters are looking half-baked and rushed. You look at SFV Ultras and they are legitimately hype-inducing and good. You look at most rage arts for Tekken 7 and it's just a boring mish mash of command list moves. Like how do you not use Kazumi's tiger in her rage art? It's like the most common sense thing to do.

I managed to get my hands on it and agree there is a lot of copy and pasting but still good fun.
The rage arts are very disappointing though it's pretty uninspired.

The slow mo is hype though.

Happy bday AAK.

AAK

You know... it's been like 8 days since I got to touch MGSV... I'd love to get some game time on that again /foreveralone :p

But real talk I'm gonna be scrambling to get this program I have to write on frickin COBOL that's due on Friday at 11 AM. I thought I could finish today but my brain just isn't functioning and it's causing me to procrastinate by F5ing GAF.

But since tomorrow is also Eid, I will definitely try to make some time to meet with some friends that do some family/friend gathers that come with this holiday. /onlySingleDudeLeftInGroupOfFriends

You know... it's been like 8 days since I got to touch MGSV... I'd love to get some game time on that again /foreveralone :p

But real talk I'm gonna be scrambling to get this program I have to write on frickin COBOL that's due on Friday at 11 AM. I thought I could finish today but my brain just isn't functioning and it's causing me to procrastinate by F5ing GAF.

But since tomorrow is also Eid, I will definitely try to make some time to meet with some friends that do some family/friend gathers that come with this holiday. /onlySingleDudeLeftInGroupOfFriends

Good luck with that program and sounds lowkey but nice.

I am pretty similar when it comes to my birthdays just give me a cake leave me alone lol.

lupinko

I learned a new (well to me anyway) more damaging combo with Kat over the weekend.

Basically this variation either off her hop kick (uf+4,4) or her sweep (db+4) instead of doing either df+1 or b+1, you can actually use ff+4 instead but it's not guaranteed since it has to be timed right. It can lead into df+1, d+1, ub+4, which does more damage than my bnb of either uf444, df1, 1,2, f4, 4 or the sweep variation. You can also extend the combo with different variations of what I'm doing from what I've seen other Japanese used but I haven't caught onto that yet.

sasuke_91

Eid Mubarak everyone :)
And AAK Eid Milad Said :D

And I agree that your negativity is justified. You just go overboard sometimes, but that's understandable (to me at least).
I don't even watch anything related to T7 anymore. It's just not really fun. Tekken Crash is cool, but I can't remember when the last time was that I was able to catch the stream...

Numb

Eid Mubarak to all and a happy birthday to AAK.
Not saying anything till the console release is a great idea then Harada and company say stupid stuff like that and it gets real hard ot stay silent.
Will be going easy on it tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom