• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

A rival family would be a really cool idea.

Numb, wanna play a few rounds? I'll play with Doomshine in a few minutes.
If anyone wants to join, feel free. Numb is just usually the fastest to respond :p

Numb

Good games guys.
Seems like your DJ and Kaz team got real good Sasuke.
Doom beating my ass like usual. Same to Fraeon.
GGs

lupinko

I'm getting the hang of both Lili and Drag now at home, but it looks like Lili is developing faster.

I'm thinking about a new joystick, help me decide:

1) VSHG
+ cheap to buy and mod off yahoo auctions
+ it's basically a mini Lindbergh panel
+/- a bit small
- finding small buttons to replace the top buttons without having to dremel the plastic maybe tricky

2) Tekcase
+ good price
+ stylish and very art friendly
+ offers Sega / Namco button layout
+/- a bit small
- while plexiglass is strong, I don't know if it's strong enough to withstand my rage, I wouldn't want to crack it
http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=products&cat=12

3) panzer fight stick 2.0
+ it's really tough metal, I prefer metal over everything
+ Jasen offers art too
+ it's big
+/- price is higher but still worth it
- dunno if I can order, I'd have to ask Jasen if he's taking orders
- currently only vewlix layout
http://www.jasenscustoms.com/panzer-fight-stick-20_p_12.html

AAK

Anybody here that understands Japanese? I think this is the first time Youchi Yonemori has ever publically represented Tekken. I wonder if he said anything worthwhile here:

https://youtu.be/0iNHajpiTiM?t=4m33s

I heard "America" somewhere around 6:54 :p

I'm getting the hang of both Lili and Drag now at home, but it looks like Lili is developing faster.

I'm thinking about a new joystick, help me decide:

1) VSHG
+ cheap to buy and mod off yahoo auctions
+ it's basically a mini Lindbergh panel
+/- a bit small
- finding small buttons to replace the top buttons without having to dremel the plastic maybe tricky

2) Tekcase
+ good price
+ stylish and very art friendly
+ offers Sega / Namco button layout
+/- a bit small
- while plexiglass is strong, I don't know if it's strong enough to withstand my rage, I wouldn't want to crack it
http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/index.cfm?loc=products&cat=12

3) panzer fight stick 2.0
+ it's really tough metal, I prefer metal over everything
+ Jasen offers art too
+ it's big
+/- price is higher but still worth it
- dunno if I can order, I'd have to ask Jasen if he's taking orders
- currently only vewlix layout
http://www.jasenscustoms.com/panzer-fight-stick-20_p_12.html

MarkMan in 5....4....

sasuke_91

Good games guys.
Seems like your DJ and Kaz team got real good Sasuke.
Doom beating my ass like usual. Same to Fraeon.
GGs
Yeah, good games! Great back and forth with either Doomshine or Fraeon dominating sometimes.
I haven't really played DJ/Kaz so frequently. Stuff just seemed to work today^^
Totally forgot how to play Eddy though. That one match where I picked him was embarassing :p

lupinko

I do use a hrap v3 sa currently but I want a stick with only six face buttons, also I do prefer Sega / Namco to Vewlix layout.

It took me about two hours last night but Lili combos are coming to me now, and the feel is getting there with Dragunov. Also took me two hours to adjust because I am kinda sitting tv distance from my Benq monitor rather than sitting up close like the arcade or PC gaming, it did hurt my neck but two hours of play made me oblivious to the pain. Haha, first world arcade problems.

So I am learning both Drag and Lili combos right now but I know certain combos aren't going to carry over due to the changes in bound. With Lili, right now I can land df2 > b2,1 > b > bt1,2 > ff3 > df3 > df3.

I actually did that by screwing up the original combo which was df2 > b2,1 > b > bt1,2 > B! > df3 > ff3 > f, 1, 2.

She's a lot of fun, I like how practicing with tag is convenient because I can practice Lili and Drag together sorta. Lol

Sayah

We need to push for a Laila look alike. Has Tekken ever had this many new fighters introduced at one time? Gigas makes six right? We have Chloe, Josie, Shaheen, Claudio, Kazumi and Gigas. That's got to be a record.

Tekken 3?

I don't really count Gigas or Josie as entirely new anyway.
Besides, having a bunch of new characters does nothing when the designs and personalities are lacking. Tekken 7 isn't nearly as bad with this as SoulCalibur V was but designs like Gigas, Josie, Chloe, Devil Kazumi, etc. still leave a lot to be desired.

Claudio, Katarina, Shaheen, and normal Kazumi are our good designs this time around. Katarina still needs her 3D model fixed, though. She probably has the worst designed default hair in the game.

Dereck

Take a look at the Tekken 3 roster

Jin Kazama
Hwoarang
Forest Law

These are three people who are younger "versions" or alternatives to older characters, I love that shit, and they're all new characters!

Bryan Fury
Ling Xiaoyu
Julia Chang
Ogre
True Ogre
Eddy Gordo

Tekken 3 got me like

ZkMNPf1.png

Dereck

Bob is terrible. He's a Smörgåsbord of a bunch of overpowered and weird moves that he seems to have for no rhyme or reason. He's overpowered and no one likes playing against him.

I don't like the way he looks personally. If they were to bring him back, what I would like to see is a complete overhaul of the character, and maybe some more repercussions for his moves getting blocked. I've noticed lately that whenever I use Bob I feel like I'm cheating, I don't feel this way when I use any other character, but once again, that's just personal opinion.

Sayah

Take a look at the Tekken 3 roster

Jin Kazama
Hwoarang
Forest Law

These are three people who are younger "versions" or alternatives to older characters, I love that shit, and they're all new characters!

Bryan Fury
Ling Xiaoyu
Julia Chang
Ogre
True Ogre
Eddy Gordo

Tekken 3 got me like

ZkMNPf1.png

You forgot Gon and Dr. B.

Yes, Tekken 3 was awesome.....and that's probably also why it's the best selling Tekken game. Tekken 7 won't even come close to replicating that success and part of the reason again is that Namco has let the series stagnate so heavily.

Tekken 3 was a proper time skip, had a bunch of new characters (none of them terribly designed or personified), and didn't have 10 year same-old art style and default costumes for veteran characters.

lupinko

Doesn't Law wear different pants now? And Kaz didn't wear that suit before I don't think. Also Lars has new battle armour.

Although everybody else is still old.

Sayah

DEATH™;185756852 said:
That's the thing though. People playing him means there is something "right" about the character.

People always go after top tier.

There's nothing "right" about that.

How many people used lars in Tekken Tag 2? How many people use him now in Tekken 7? Yeah, okay. :p

Character popularity in competitive settings is usually determined by tiers. It doesn't speak to the actual quality of the character design or personality.

Shun

Since this is basically Tekken Community now...

Which Tekken do you think was Toyama's best work in terms of music composition?

I think my favorite has to be Tekken 5 or 6 regarding that. Tekken 7 ain't bad tho.

I mean I like using Asuka and Julia/Jaycee...

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Doesn't Law wear different pants now? And Kaz didn't wear that suit before I don't think. Also Lars has new battle armour.

Law's pants are just a recolor. If that's what we classify as a new outfit, then I guess everyone got new outfits in Tekken 5 DR.

Sayah

I think my favorite has to be Tekken 5 or 6 regarding that. Tekken 7 ain't bad tho.

I mean I like using Asuka and Julia/Jaycee...
I like all of them but Moonlit Wilderness always wins. :p

These are all awesome.
Tekken 5 (Moonlit Wilderness)
Tekken 6 (Electric Fountain)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Abyss of Time)
Tekken 7 (Jungle Outpost)

Law's pants are just a different color shade, but I have to admit the new yellow looks really awesome.
Kaz and lars are one of the few examples of new designs done right.
But then you have Jin and Jack, which got completely last-minute rushed out the door.

DEATH™;185756852 said:
That's the thing though. People playing him means there is something "right" about the character.

How many people used lars in Tekken Tag 2? How many people use him now in Tekken 7? Yeah, okay. :p

Character popularity in competitive settings is usually determined by tiers. It doesn't speak to the actual quality of the character design or personality.

FmFWyQj.png

I didn't forget them, I just didn't enjoy playing with them at all.

I've seen so many requests for a Gon return but like, why?

They're both the most fun characters in the game, lol.

lupinko

I like Tekken 1-TTT the best, basically Nina's T2 and T3 themes (PlayStation then Arcade), Fiji from T1/2 (arcade and console), Yoshimitsu TTT console, Jin T3 arcade, Hidden characters T3 arcade, King T2 console, Paul T2 console.

For T5 and DR, I like Poolside (vanilla), Moonlit Wilderness, Lili's stage, and for 6 I like Fallen Colony g-mix.

Those stand out for me. I didn't like Tag 2's music that much, I love how Tekken Tunes is an option since I just replaced all the music with music from T1-TTT, I'll add the others when I buy T4-6 music.

The snoop stage is better with real snoop music.

I tried the game with music from outside of tekken, and the snoop stage aside, the non-Tekken music is pretty distracting when I play.

I have the Next Episode in the Snoop stage and it fits perfectly. Yes I know it's really a Dre song but w/e. Lol

Shun

I find it really funny how post 2006/2007, Tekken and iDOLM@STER got a lot of cross influence and cross promo officially from Bannam and outside of work.

Toyama worked on both series for music, Harada really turned around on both series.

From what I have read in famitsu article, it seems like bannam treats it's tenure employees like Harada, Toyama, and Koyama very well.

Sayah

^^
It's...okay...I guess.

I like Tekken 1-TTT the best, basically Nina's T2 and T3 themes (PlayStation then Arcade), Fiji from T1/2 (arcade and console), Yoshimitsu TTT console, Jin T3 arcade, Hidden characters T3 arcade, King T2 console, Paul T2 console.

For T5 and DR, I like Poolside (vanilla), Moonlit Wilderness, Lili's stage, and for 6 I like Fallen Colony g-mix.

Those stand out for me. I didn't like Tag 2's music that much, I love how Tekken Tunes is an option since I just replaced all the music with music from T1-TTT, I'll add the others when I buy T4-6 music.

I tried the game with music from outside of tekken, and the snoop stage aside, the non-Tekken music is pretty distracting when I play.

I have the Next Episode in the Snoop stage and it fits perfectly. Yes I know it's really a Dre song but w/e. Lol

I mostly kept to Tekken music as well.

I bought all the TTT2 DLC. Good decision since I ended up using a lot of the tracks.

Shun

Also Tekken 7 has a pretty well rounded cast so far, 27 characters.

The game was expecting an update around winter right?

DEATH™

Bob is terrible. He's a Smörgåsbord of a bunch of overpowered and weird moves that he seems to have for no rhyme or reason. He's overpowered and no one likes playing against him.

I don't like the way he looks personally. If they were to bring him back, what I would like to see is a complete overhaul of the character, and maybe some more repercussions for his moves getting blocked. I've noticed lately that whenever I use Bob I feel like I'm cheating, I don't feel this way when I use any other character, but once again, that's just personal opinion.

Finally you came to your senses lol.

Bob as a character design is trapped to the same pitfalls of Julia pre-JC. Super good character, but annoying to fight against, super cheap and "bland", much more known for her cheapness competition wise than her actual character. When she got "nerfed" in T6, people stopped using her. Now with Jaycee having a more flashier moves and still matter competitively, there's a lot of people using her, and her "bland" character before can now shine with contrast to her Jaycee persona.

I kinda want to see the same thing with Bob. Dude got potential, the flashiest of his moves was there. Just not make him cheap to use, update and overhaul his apearance and moveset. Dude can get more inspiration from Sammi Hung or even Kung Fu Panda.

That's my frustration about it. Right now, the tekken team makes sure that many new character designs is created to play not only strong, but cheap too, so people will play them. I hate that idea of theirs. Can't they not have confidence that their created chars will still be played if they aren't cheap? Not only that, that mentality buried other chars who took sweat to play and pretty much trampled those efforts because the have to have characters that "cater to the noobs".

MikeMyers

I thought the PSX games had the best music. Much like you I used the Tekken Tunes replace the TTT2 music with music from the PSX games.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I remember seeing that gangster jacket months and months ago. Don't think it's new.

Also Tekken 7 has a pretty well rounded cast so far, 27 characters.

The game was expecting an update around winter right?

It's Capcom's turn :]

Either TTT, T5, or T6. I like and dislike tracks pretty evenly with each game though.

Favorites are

Tekken 2 - The Head Shaker (Yoshimitsu's theme, arranged)
Tekken Tag Tournament - Lei, Ogre (both arranged)
Tekken 5 - Those Who Go to Heaven (Dragon's Nest), Formless Like Water (Waterfall)
Tekken 6 - Electric Fountain, Mishima Zaibatsu Central Tower (Nancy theme)

Didn't dig too much from Tekken Tag 2, and from what I've heard, the music in Tekken 7 sounds as phoned-in as the rest of the game.

Looking at them all, Tekken Tag Tournament 1 (home version) definitely has my favorite music. So many good tracks. A lot of it weird sounding as hell, but it all came together.

Tekken 5:DR has the most memorable sound track to me. Poolside, Moonlit Wilderness, Ice Castle, Dragon's Nest, Twist and Scream, Pink Pop, Estrada de Estrela, and so on. You could literally pick any song from Tekken 5 + DR and they are a winner.

kdash7

Help me out here guys.. I want to know if Solo mode was allowed in EVO tourney matches or not? TTT2 was available in EVO 2013 and 2014 I believe. If you can give me a source where it is officially states that Solo mode was allowed / not allowed in EVO, that would be awesome!!

Doomshine

Help me out here guys.. I want to know if Solo mode was allowed in EVO tourney matches or not? TTT2 was available in EVO 2013 and 2014 I believe. If you can give me a source where it is officially states that Solo mode was allowed / not allowed in EVO, that would be awesome!!
It was banned in 2013 at least: http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...en-tournament-streamed-live-on-july-12th.html

EDIT: in 2014 as well http://cyberfanatix.com/forums/inde...PHPSESSID=ttlbq6t54psl81o27qalcis3q3#msg65846

Pretty sure it was mostly banned for spectator reasons though, like SFxT being 2v2 only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom