• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeMyers

To me, music plays a big role in what makes a game replayable.

I still think T2 sountrack was best. You know shit was going down when you got to those final boss stages.

AAK

In Tekken 2 one of the fondest memories I have was witnessing this track with the industrial backdrop in its 90's era pre-rendered goodness:

latest

The sort of atmosphere evoked was beyond anything any other game I played at the time. The best way i can describe was like being in an epic martial arts flick with a Ghost in the Shell cyber-punk setting. Man Namco's sound team were geniuses.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Don't think anything is going to beat 5's opening for me. Hell, that's what got me to buy the game after having skipped Tekken 4.

Sayah

Tekken 5 truly is the greatest opening Tekken has ever had.
I also liked Tekken 5 DR.
To me, TTT2's excessive use of dubstep depreciated from the better tracks in the game unfortunately. TTT2's credits song of Night Falls followed by the Landscape Under the Ghost remix is one of the most memorable tracks to me too...

But I honestly get headaches in the purple stage to the point it leaves a sour taste.

For me, Tekken 3 wins just because of the most consistent series of highs. Tekken 2, TTT1, and T5 all have tracks that reach and sometimes excel in the greatness but their overall soundtrack don't reach the near untouchable status Tekken 3 invokes when I listen to it.

I have to greatly disagree here. TTT2 did a pretty damn great homage to past Tekken games by including remixes for Eternal Paradise (Tekken 2), Hall of Judgment (Tekken 3), Piano Intro (TTT1), Sakura Schoolyard (TTT1), Arena (Tekken 4), Moonlit Wilderness (Tekken 5), Snow Castle (Tekken 5 DR), and Abyss of Time (clearly inspired by Electric Fountain from Tekken 6).

It had some of the best menu themes a Tekken game or any game for that matter has ever had, including the main menu (Dawn of the Beat), character select menu (Aim to win), customization menu (Your Sunset), and online menu (Battle Cry) themes.

Even the dubstep-py stages were great imo (Fountain, Tropical Rainforest, Boat, and Purple Goo).

Top that off with stuff like Tulip Festival and Landscape Under the Moon and you've got an all-around stellar soundtrack.

I also enjoyed Strategic Space, Dusk after Dawn, and the Saudi Arabia stage tracks.

Edit: Plus, thanks to the Namco-organized contest, we had some amazing fan remixes as well that were featured.

AAK

Don't get me wrong, I still think TTT2's soundtrack is fantastic. But it doesn't resonate with me to the extent to reach the levels of Tekken 3 and TTT1 and I must say, Purple Goo is 2 thumbs down for me :p.

As for intro's... the main thing I look for is seeing as many characters as possible given some platform to shine and look cool. In that sense, Tekken 2 and especially Tekken 5.0 obviously win. Tekken 3 still technically showed all the characters sans the time-release unlockable characters to keep the mystery of unlocking in a pre-internet era. But yeah, Tekken 5.0 showing Hwoarang and Steve sparring, Law using his nunchucks, Lei flexing his forearms, Raven being a boss, Feng embracing the dark-side, it was all too perfect.
Learn from this Namco! Give your cast some respect to make them look cool again!

But when it comes to building hype, I think the arcade Tekken Bloodline Rebellion intro does that equally as good as T5.0. Shame the console version got a significantly weaker opening.

Sayah

Tekken Intro Ranking

Tekken 5 - Intro 1

It's the fine details that matter. Kazuya's punch gutting through all of Jack's screws and machinery........makes you say wow. Kazuya then grabbing Heihachi by his bald head and shoving him towards the Jacks. The Jacks one after the other pile on and commit suicide to get rid of Heihachi. Then you have a mysterious new character providing intel and ripping a Jack open in half.

This is all such fine, unexpected imagery. It makes people not interested in the game or storyline to be interested. I remember when Tekken 5 released, a lot of people I knew that had no interest in Tekken back then still ended up buying it. Plus, the rather fast transition from arcade to console helped as well I'm sure.

Tekken 5 - Intro 2

Again, such an amazing secondary trailer to detail the rest of the cast outside of Mishimas. The image of Feng is particularly great here. To see a brand new character first fist practicing in a container of lava, then punching his master through a tree, and then looking on as rain pours down him......that is all just so badass (sorry for the cliche).
Then, you have other fine details as well, including Anna blowing a kiss and launching a bazooka, Marduk and King going at it in the ring, etc.

Tekken 5 DR

Another example of introducing new characters in trailers in the most badass ways.
Just seeing Lili breaking apart the car door and looking on as the car explodes leaving one of her kidnappers likely dead and then Dragunov ordering a tank strike and then zooming in to watch his victims burn.......that all sure leaves an impression.

Then you have stuff like Yoshimitsu slicing his sword through water or the close-up of Feng's three-chain kick attack against Lei.

Really phenomenal imagery.

Comparison to Tekken 6 BR
In contrast, Tekken 6 sort of didn't make that same impression for new characters. You have Zafina looking through a door, Miguel raging over his sister, Leo at a grave, and Bob fighting some burglars. It doesn't make me care much about the characters.

Comparison to Tekken 7
While the arcade intro is cool, I really again don't know how Tekken 7 is going to accomplish having the same type of successful imagery that they had in Tekken 5 and DR.

With characters looking and acting like Chloe, Josie, and Gigas, it's hard to have anyone take them seriously.

AAK

I think you mean "intro's" instead of "trailers" :p

My highlight of the Tekken 5.0 intro:

36D8xsg.gif

After the Tekken 4 rivalry seeing its continuation into the ring, and with each exchange having a neutral result (headlock --> overhead press slam -> 619 -> crescent kick blocking a double axe handle). That was just too sick!

It's also worth mentioning how King had so many new animations in T5 that made everything come together. He got so many new multi-throws, the jaguar step, the re-animated tombstone, re-animated giant swing, the missionary costume.

MikeMyers

I remember back in the day, my cousins and I used to imitate the Tekken 1 opening where Kazuya blew out a candle with his fist. Our parents werent too happy with that when they found out, lol.

latest

Excellent taste AAK

That Tekken 7 intro is nice. If they can capture that same intensity with the entire cast it could top Tekken 5. Tekken 7 intro

Here is one of the best martial arts mashups on the web. It's my personal favorite. Here: martial arts montage That Tekken 7 intro already has similar energy. They just need to skip all the drama and go from dynamic choreographed close up to close up. Tekken 5 intro had that Hong Kong cinema energy.

Tekken 7 intro is great so far.

Sayah

I think you mean "intro's" instead of "trailers" :p

My highlight of the Tekken 5.0 intro:

36D8xsg.gif

After the Tekken 4 rivalry seeing its continuation into the ring, and with each exchange having a neutral result (headlock --> overhead press slam -> 619 -> crescent kick blocking a double axe handle). That was just too sick!

It's also worth mentioning how King had so many new animations in T5 that made everything come together. He got so many new multi-throws, the jaguar step, the re-animated tombstone, re-animated giant swing, the missionary costume.

Yes, I meant intros. >_>
It's late night and I'm trying to get other work done.
latest

Excellent taste AAK

That Tekken 7 intro is nice. If they can capture that same intensity with the entire cast it could top Tekken 5. Tekken 7 intro

Here is one of the best martial arts mashups on the web. It's my personal favorite. Here: martial arts montage That Tekken 7 intro already has similar energy. They just need to skip all the drama and go from dynamic choreographed close up to close up. Tekken 5 intro had that Hong Kong cinema energy.

Tekken 7 intro is great so far.

Tekken 7 arcade intro is pretty great.
Just hope we get a good console one as well.

tumblr_n8q3jb0u7k1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

I would've prefered Briareos over Gigas. If Gigas turns out to be Marduk that could be interesting on the story front. I don't think Tekken Team could do something that inspired. We will see.

latest

GrayFoxPL

tumblr_n8q3jb0u7k1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

I would've prefered Briareos over Gigas. If Gigas turns out to be Marduk that could be interesting on the story front. I don't think Tekken Team could do something that inspired. We will see.

Briareos is a cool character. Would've fit in Tekken since he knows martial arts.
If guest characters are a go then I'd vote for him.

0JxpnNB.gif

eboIvHa.gif

ffzPD7G.gif

But that would make too much sense, we'll probably get some idolmaster piece of shit.

Gigas is likely Marduk and I can bet it's Dr. Abel's work, he likes those human-cyborg experiments. Bosconovitch is a freak too but he prefers dead daughter lookalikes and hentai tentacle monsters :p

Ggs guys. Sorry had to go, family wanted to watch news.

I hit Sasuke with:

08bt9lF.gif

That was my goal for the day.

All is good in the world.

Josie doesn't have chickens, what an inferior character. ;P

GrayFoxPL

I bet you like Duck King too.
dk-wn2.gif
pduck4.gif
duckking-rb-stance2.gif

i do too

Duck King owns. Definitely Bruce's chick is a homage to DK. Chick characters unite!

I don't mind tiny items like these. It's those huge obnoxious ones that cover half a character or shitty clothes in neon colors that get me.

Tiny chick is always cool by me.

sasuke_91

Ggs guys. Sorry had to go, family wanted to watch news.

I hit Sasuke with:

08bt9lF.gif

That was my goal for the day.

All is good in the world.

Josie doesn't have chickens, what an inferior character. ;P

I will announce it here and now, next time we play, I'll hit you with a Dempsey Roll... at the wall. I'll go full Ippo on you ;p

Good games. Bruce and Paul give me a hard time (especially Paul).

Good games, Sasuke, Grayfox.

Dang, i needed some time to warm up today ;/

Good games. You finally used different throws.

Remember not to mash any buttons after an EWGF/EWHF. I always get a wall splat with Jin like that.

So why don't we have a Tekken anime when Bandai Namco actually has an anime production studio?

Tekken had two anime, the 90s OVA and the CG movie. They both sucked. I don't think anyone is really asking for more. Besides, BV are moreso in distribution and finances. They don't actually "make" the stuff on the discs, but they'll put their money in the production committee pot to get things done, then promote and distribute the discs.

GrayFoxPL

Tekken had two anime, the 90s OVA and the CG movie. They both sucked. I don't think anyone is really asking for more. Besides, BV are moreso in distribution and finances. They don't actually "make" the stuff on the discs, but they'll put their money in the production committee pot to get things done, then promote and distribute the discs.

Incompetence is what always amazes me. First they gave a go for low budget anime with barely any fighting then picked someone who thought main characters for a movie should be Xiaoyu and Alisa? I won't even comment on the retarded script.

I don't blame the creators of these flicks. No, I blame the incompetent moron who picked those people and green lighted their projects.

Tekken had two anime, the 90s OVA and the CG movie. They both sucked.

Screenplay by:
42332.jpg

Such great pedigree too. SMH

The film still was worse than the John Foo live action film. I hate to bring this up, but I need to get this off my chest... again. Let's stop and look at how bad Tekken BV was. What amazes me is the pedigree of the guy who wrote the screenplay. I guess you should never get a casual to write the screenplay. Ling is the central protagonist of the film, (which I like actually) but is rendered completely useless and not utilized in the climax of the film. The film requires that you have a ton of knowledge already about the characters and lore even to understand the relationships in any way that's remotely coherent. You can't ask that much of your audience. We spend so much time with Shin Kamiya just so he can have a pointless death. The first and second act are very grounded the third act jumps the shark into fantasy/science fiction. I would've liked some consistency. A giant Mokujin?

I respect what Tekken Team tried to do by hiring such an esteemed writer. I guess you don't hire such a talented artist and then tie his hands creatively, but someone on the Tekken Team should have said this is just nonsensical.

lupinko

Another panel for another character that I don't play.

48TmNg0.png

At least I got judo pants that I can develop to go with Shaheen's BJJ gi.

I like to see Joey Ansah make a Tekken live action promo.

"I'm also annoyed by it because they made the story... they dumbed it down and made it this very tacky, cartoony, almost spoof. See, I don't get why games series do that. You probably know Tekken did the same thing, right? I'm a Paul Phoenix fan. In Tekken 1 and 2, his story was badass and he was a serious character and by Tekken 5 and 6, he's a fucking joke.

Law is now more concerned about his goddamn restaurant and it's like, what the hell happened to kind of this dark anime? All these things started off as kind of a Fist of the North Star sensibilities and they've ended up as this kind of comedy slapstick almost pastiche of itself."
-Joey Ansah

DEATH™

Just kept up with this thread...

Murray, please don't turn Marduk to Gigas story wise... That would be super lame. It will kill off the King/AK/Marduk storyline, make duk into full mindless muscle and destroy the whole character in general.

I mean, no one would forget he wore a lame gimp suit... That gimmick kills wrestling careers...

Oh my lord that live action Tekken movie.
tumblr_li8869jsXi1qae5u4o1_500.gif

Screenplay by:
1b4ff37.jpg

Mr. Alan B. McElroy has notable screenplay credits. I'd never imagine the guy who wrote the Spawn movie would write a terrible live action Tekken film. To his credit the film that he wrote does at least have a coherent three act structure. His film suffers from character bloat and zero character development. I'd never assign a old guy to pen a script if he wasn't a die hard fan. I felt like I died and went to hell.

SIPVZNnEkZehi.gif

His Spawn movie was decent. It just needed to axe John Leguizamo

GrayFoxPL

Pray you'll never see, even accidentally, the sequel: Kazuya's Revenge.

It's not a bad Tekken movie, it's one of the worst movies ever produced.

Don't let anyone's curiosity make them watch it. There's nothing bad that's good. It's just extremely dull, awfully written and produced pos and has exactly nothing to do with Tekken storyline.

I feel so bad for Kane Kosugi, he has the worst agent ever. Such skilled martial artist gets in the shitiest movies.

I can only give props to Gary Daniels brief fight as Bryan. He's such a cool sincere guy. And he's the only guy who actually looked into his character fighting style and tried to fight similarly.

But other then that first movie is a masterpiece compared to this.

Pray you'll never see, even accidentally, the sequel: Kazuya's Revenge.

It's not a bad Tekken movie, it's one of the worst movies ever produced.

Don't let anyone's curiosity make them watch it. There's nothing bad that's good. It's just extremely dull, awfully written and produced pos and has exactly nothing to do with Tekken storyline.

I feel so bad for Kane Kosugi, he has the worst agent ever. Such skilled martial artist gets in the shitiest movies.

I can only give props to Gary Daniels brief fight as Bryan. He's such a cool sincere guy. And he's the only guy who actually looked into his character fighting style and tried to fight similarly.

But other then that first movie is a masterpiece compared to this.

I haven't seen this movie yet. The trailer left me with no desire to ever watch it. Does anyone know who's responsible for sells licensing rights to Crystal Sky? Selling licensing rights must be profitable for Namco to allow this damage to their IP. If Ant-man can have a successful film you would think Tekken would be a blockbuster by now. This is just embarrassing. Why do I live in a dimension where there is a successful Ant-man movie and not a Tekken film? If you would've have asked me whether Ant-man would bomb I would have bet money on it. Marvel has established a powerful brand. I wish video games could do something similar.

Kazuya should be a superhero of sorts. He could easily carry his own movie. If only someone had an idea to apply a comic book movie treatment to this character. The Tekken franchise is ripe for proper development. Marvel is now turning its C level comics into successful films, all the while Tekken is an absolute joke.

NEedFxZJheo9hk_2_b.jpg

They are direct to video for a reason lol

And Tekken movies don't....deserve the budget.

And Antman being C-List despite being a core avenger....ok lol

They are direct to video for a reason lol

And Tekken movies don't....deserve the budget.

And Antman being C-List despite being a core avenger....ok lol

I agree in there current state Tekken movies don't deserve pocket lint. Before the Ant-man movie Ant-man wasn't a real known commodity. This is the first time I've heard Ant-man was a billion dollar franchise. LOL

I agree in there current state Tekken movies don't deserve pocket lint. Before the Ant-man movie Ant-man wasn't a real known commodity. This is the first time I've heard Ant-man was a billion dollar franchise. LOL

I don't think the earlier states of Tekken movies deserved that much either.

and Antman got a movie because he was an avenger. He would've been rolled out with in Phase one but they pushed his movie back because they couldn't finalize a script. Its not about the money its about Antman's place in the Marvel universe which is pretty big regardless if he's popular or not.

Sayah

I'm asking for an actual 25-ish episode long anime that's reaaaalllly well done. Like Fullmetal Alchemist well done.

Not a movie.

The whole Tekken concept is very very amazing. It's a tournament where the best of the best fighters from around the world come to fight and there's prize money for the winner. Each fighter has their own motivation and reason for being there.

Then, you also have the fight between two corporations (mishima zaibatsu and G-corp).

It could be a great anime. Just need the right talent to convey the story in the most awesome, non-corny way.

MikeMyers

Honestly the 90s OVA wasnt too bad. Just needed about 30 more minutes of development.

I always thought the VF anime was well done. Kinda funny since Virtua Fighter doesn't really emphasize much on its story.

Sayah

Honestly the 90s OVA wasnt too bad. Just needed about 30 more minutes of development.

I always thought the VF anime was well done. Kinda funny since Virtua Fighter doesn't really emphasize much on its story.

I also enjoyed the OVA despite what people say about it.
The first time I watched Blood Vengeance, I thought I liked it because of the awesome action scenes. Then, I gave it a second watch and realized how bad it was. Mostly due to Alisa being a central but terrible character. People want to laugh at Shin Kamiya but Alisa was even worse.

Creaking

It's funny, but it feels like that whole movie derailed Alisa's entire relationship with Lars (no big loss) and turned her into another one of Xiaoyu's kawaii school dayz friends. Just look at their ending videos from Tekken Tag 2 and tell me they don't look like deleted scenes from Blood Vengeance.

Sayah

It's funny, but it feels like that whole movie derailed Alisa's entire relationship with Lars (no big loss) and turned her into another one of Xiaoyu's kawaii school dayz friends. Just look at their ending videos from Tekken Tag 2 and tell me they don't look like deleted scenes from Blood Vengeance.

Just watched Alisa's TTT2 ending.

This is actually my first time watching it.........and it's really bad.

But despite that, it's not literally a deleted scene from BV.......the CG quality is different and the models looks different......unless your post is implying the ending is conveying similar Alisa corny-ness as the BV movie did.

Still waiting on our Terminator Alisa, Namco......................................

Dereck

What is the reason behind them not making another Tekken movie with the BV engine, except about other Tekken characters instead.

Creaking

What is the reason behind them not making another Tekken movie with the BV engine, except about other Tekken characters instead.

Maybe the returns on Blood Vengeance weren't so good.

Just watched Alisa's TTT2 ending.

This is actually my first time watching it.........and it's really bad.

But despite that, it's not literally a deleted scene from BV.......the CG quality is different and the models looks different......unless your post is implying the ending is conveying similar Alisa corny-ness as the BV movie did.

Still waiting on our Terminator Alisa, Namco......................................

Yeah, I know they aren't literally deleted scenes, I'm just saying they may as well be. Watching Alisa/Xiaoyu/Panda/Miharu's endings, you'd never know that they were from a fighting game.

GrayFoxPL

TTT2 endings vary so much in quality.

Bryan's, Nina's, Kings are top tier.

Steve's and Leo's include story bits despite game being non canon.

Paul's, girls, ect. Oh boy, what a shit.

Numb

We all know who has the best ending tho.
tumblr_mco8qlQXk31qb647mo1_500.gif

Walking in and styling heihachi like that.

Heck he is the best thing about the intro too.
Gatdamn look at this man.
tumblr_m6ks49nIib1rnbk4so1_500.gif

i might be biased when it comes to Jinpachi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom