• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

Listening to MMurray whenever I tuned in basically confirms that the current presentation of Tekken is here to stay.

I don't know what else there is I can do anymore to get this changed.

My console purchase of this game sort of depends on them changing the custom system as it currently stands. It's not like the developers can't see what's in front of them: i.e. abomination custom creations that completely muck up the game's presentation. It's not like they don't know that they're recycling 95% of their customs from TTT2, an older game that ran an inferior customization system compared to an even earlier entry (Tekken 6).

If I still end up buying the game with all the customs in tact as they currently are, I'll just be a very disgruntled customer and my commitment for this franchise will be notched down several levels.

AAK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

Because we'd rather have Ganguros in the game rather than any person who is African American.

http://www.twitch.tv/tekken/v/27019116?t=5m58s

Guys, guys, guys.

There are two black people in the Dead or Alive series.

The only black woman in Dead or Alive, (who is light skinned by the way), got the lowest amount of votes to be in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. We know this, dark skinned people aren't that attractive to Japanese people.

Hmmmmm, it's hard being a black fighting game fan.

AhlijlO.gif

Like, is it something we did? Holy shit man. Is there something I can do? Do I need to pull a Google images link of "black person"?

I guess there's nothing I can do except look like an idiot complaining about "waaaaah, no black people", over and over in a vacuum.

I remember sometime last night MMurray did make a sarcastic comment about the internet claiming he hates blacks.... so it's safe to say someone at Namco is aware. But they're clearly aware of the parody of a customization system they have going as well from his comments yet Namco seems content. Dunno if awareness makes a difference anymore.

Sayah

I remember sometime last night MMurray did make a sarcastic comment about the internet claiming he hates blacks.... so it's safe to say someone at Namco is aware. But they're clearly aware of the parody of a customization system they have going as well from his comments yet Namco seems content. Dunno if awareness makes a difference anymore.

I think they're aware but don't care to update it because Namco's already apparently made a bunch of money from Tekken 7 Arcade edition.

There was an old Harada tweet that mentioned Tekken 7 is the most successful Tekken game in the arcades ever. Not sure how much truth there is to that statement but I bet switching to online matches and adding in that revenge match feature certainly helped.

Plus, they have 935 people entered for MasterCup. All those matches going on must cover the expense of hosting the tournament and then some.

If the console version is similarly successful, I don't know how much they'll actually change their perspective for Tekken 8. We'll probably keep getting more Lucky Chloe-type of characters and terrible customs.

GrayFoxPL

We can apparently change skin tones in the game?

ofDIWW2.png

Is this the sun tan that was a while ago or something different?

I'm gonna make black Kazuya and white Bruce.

Wait.

:(

Ggs Doomshine. Sorry I had to go so early. Still I get caught in Wang's ch setups. No idea what to expect.

Sayah

Is this the sun tan that was a while ago or something different?

I'm gonna make black Kazuya and white Bruce.

Wait.

:(

It's not the Lili suntan. They confirmed via stream that you can change skin tones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

Because we'd rather have Ganguros in the game rather than any person who is African American.

Guys, guys, guys.

There are two black people in the Dead or Alive series.

The only black woman in Dead or Alive, (who is light skinned by the way), got the lowest amount of votes to be in Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. We know this, dark skinned people aren't that attractive to Japanese people.

Hmmmmm, it's hard being a black fighting game fan.

AhlijlO.gif

Like, is it something we did? Holy shit man. Is there something I can do? Do I need to pull a Google images link of "black person"?

I guess there's nothing I can do except look like an idiot complaining about "waaaaah, no black people", over and over in a vacuum.

I think you're overreacting here. Many games gives you the option of changing skin tones. It doesn't imply that they'd rather have Ganguros instead of a legitimate black character.

I personally think changing skin tones is a good option to have as long as we don't get rainbow colors.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah skin tones were as early as SFA and KOF series.

I'm just joking there's no black characters to change their skintone.

Of course this feature still wont make any characters black, more like make Japanese into Thai-like.

Sayah

We just had a major Tekken only tournament hit 20,000 concurrent viewers & you guys are bitching about customizations STILL. Seriously you guys

Because they ruin the look of the game COMPLETELY.

If they can fix customs, I'll be happy with the game despite not liking a lot of the new default designs and wishing there were some revolutionary mechanics.

I had been really positive about Tekken 7 even after Lucky Chloe got revealed. But then the ugly customs started pouring in from Asia and my optimism slowly turned into pessimism. I was under the impression that Tag 2 customs were just a temporary placeholder. But that doesn't seem to be the case and the console version will most likely have the same customs recycled over.

It's a legitimate issue to bitch about. No past Tekken game has unashamedly recycled customs to this extent.

AAK

We just had a major Tekken only tournament hit 20,000 concurrent viewers & you guys are bitching about customizations STILL. Seriously you guys

And how many of them do you think just laughed and ridiculed at the aesthetic? How many of those people are actually from North America/Europe where the series is in otaku-waifu-fighter levels of relevance rather than other people from Asia where access to arcades is still a possibility?

Yeah the English stream did indeed have 9-10k viewers in its peak times... but think about the impression they walk away with? Even then... in the grand scheme of things that number is paltry and near irrelevant. There were BY FAR more people who watched the EVO finals and thankfully people walked away with a more positive impression because it wasn't plagued with the obnoxious presentation the game is currently suffering.

EDIT:

Just so I don't sound completely negative, the Nobi slow-mo match ends were a joy to see and could have potentially won people over. But man oh man... the aesthetic was butt ugly with those neon colors and carnival of stupid attires.

No one cares & niether do I. People have been making their characters look dumb for 12 years, stop using it as a strawman for your waining interest in the series. Quit bitching or quit Tekken. Go play Street Fighter V or NRS games.

Sayah

lol ZTS......no game is immune to criticism and as fans we are allowed to criticize to our heart's content. It's not like we're trolling. THese are legitimate complaints.

This is a good example of how customs and character modeling need to be fixed.
CBF87czUgAAIEj5.jpg

Even when people aren't trying to troll with rainbow color combinations, Tag 2 customs look completely out of place. I guess an equivalent to this would be having a game like DriveClub on PS4 or Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 with beautiful environments but then the actual customizable car models and parts are borrowed from some old PS2 game. Do you think car gaming enthusiasts are going to be happy with that sort of presentation?

At this point, I think I'm just waiting for Dead or Alive 6 to show true 3D fighting game aesthetics.

LowParry

No one cares & niether do I. People have been making their characters look dumb for 12 years, stop using it as a strawman for your waining interest in the series. Quit bitching or quit Tekken. Go play Street Fighter V or NRS games.

I was about to come in to state how much of a blast I had watching Tekken last night but then....yeah. We're at the phase where we're not even close to a console release and people are just itchy to get their hands on the game. Maybe people are just looking for an excuse to hate the game and forget it but hey, you'll come back when the game comes to a console. Then more bitching. We'll come full circle in the madness that's called Tekken and we'll do it all over again with T8 or reboot.

At this point, I think I'm just waiting for Dead or Alive 6 to show true 3D fighting game aesthetics.

We're already getting that with Xtreme 3 ya?

Sayah

You also forget that there is no set precedent for recycling customs to this extent in the Tekken universe in the past 12 years. This is the first time where over 90% of customs are completely recycled from a past entry.

So no..........there should be more bitching, not less and people shouldn't be expected to take whatever's fed down their throat and be happy with it.

At this point, I actually am on the verge of spitting out what Namco's shoving down my throat and quitting the franchise altogether. Those days aren't that far.

We're already getting that with Xtreme 3 ya?

That's not a fighting game.

GrayFoxPL

I don't believe anyone who says retarded customs don't ruin the match quality for them. It's like watching Raid and main characters would suddenly fight in bunny, doll and clown costumes.

If someone wants to act like a clown, sure he can. I don't want to watch clowns and many matches in this mastercup are unwatchable despite undeniable skills of players.

I don't care for your quadruple electrics if what I'm seeing on screen makes me puke rainbows.

I know people are doing this for annoyance factor. Some players can't stand bright colors fucking their eyes. To up their winning possibility even by 0.0001% some fuckers will do anything.

I saw myself in that Korean show, girl player had Xiaoyu in frilly bright red dress with this new sparky red aura and huge red chainsaw on the back. The red was matched in tone to all items. Together it mashed so bad you couldn't see shit what Xiaoyu was doing. Just red shit moving about.

So yeah, people doing it as a "strategy" can go fuck themselves. You're just annoying scum.

Now if every match looked that clean and exciting as this. Tekken 7 would much more fun to watch.

Here player only put a baseball cap on josie and you can even argue it's an improvement over original hairstyle.

But most important you can see everything clearly and enjoy the match.

Fuck the clowns.

lupinko

MarkMan, I just wanted to say how awesome Mastercup was, and good job on the English stream with you, Spooky, Michael Murray and Jackller. I haven't had hype for a tourney like since B5 Marvel 2 or SBO 07 KOF98.

I wish I was good enough to enter a tourney like that, and that environment hype alone reignites a passion in fighting games that I thought I had lost with age.

Edit: I don't see any options to change skin tones unless it's unlocked at a later level, the only one was the suntan ticket that was only promotional in the summer, and it can only be used for female characters. Iirc

0ZSa3RU.png

I am not so sure Dead or Alive is a customization system we want Tekken to follow. Also, my apologizes for not watching any MasterCup. I am far too weary to watch any more Tekken. I'll keep playing Tag 2 and hope for Tekken 7 on PC; that way if I just can't agree with Tekken 7 in a certain aspect I will go in and change my copy my darn self.

Sayah

0ZSa3RU.png

I am not so sure Dead or Alive is a customization system we want Tekken to follow. Also, my apologizes for not watching any MasterCup. I am far too weary to watch any more Tekken. I'll keep playing Tag 2 and hope for Tekken 7 on PC; that way if I just can't agree with Tekken 7 in a certain aspect I will go in and change my copy my darn self.

I'm selfish.
I would be completely fine with this if it meant removing the Tag 2 customization system. You have to remember these are not characters or stages. These costumes are not fundamental for playing the game.

Even if most people end up sticking with the defaults, it would mean solid presentation and beautiful visuals unhampered by clown attires.

I am not so sure Dead or Alive is a customization system we want Tekken to follow.

IMHO, the only thing that Tekken and the other fighting games must follow from DoA 5 is trying to make a free version available that accompanies the complete version. Other than that, there's absolutely nothing positive and worthwhile that could be learned from that series, especially when it comes to character design and costumes.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm selfish.
I would be completely fine with this if it meant removing the Tag 2 customization system. You have to remember these are not characters or stages. These costumes are not fundamental for playing the game.

Even if most people end up sticking with the defaults, it would mean solid presentation and beautiful visuals unhampered by clown attires.

DoA's overpriced system still brings plenty of questionable attires into the game.

Creaking

All right, hoping for some good things in two-ish weeks. If the PS4's PS2 emulation turns out to be as good as it sounds, TTT1-T5 will be awesome to have.

The idea of getting new black characters both excites me and makes me wary. It's exciting because, yeah, the game could really use some, but I'm wary that we'll be getting another Josie, where the new character seems to be formed from an old character. I mean, the game already has 7 new characters.

Also, I guess this means either Eddy, Raven, or Bruce are confirmed to be returning.

Pachimari

- The possibility of Eliza, Kunimitsu and Mokujin been in the game
- There will be black characters in Tekken 7 (Both returning and new ones)

I wonder by who they got this information from at the MasterCup 8?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
MarkMan, I just wanted to say how awesome Mastercup was, and good job on the English stream with you, Spooky, Michael Murray and Jackller. I haven't had hype for a tourney like since B5 Marvel 2 or SBO 07 KOF98.

I wish I was good enough to enter a tourney like that, and that environment hype alone reignites a passion in fighting games that I thought I had lost with age.

Edit: I don't see any options to change skin tones unless it's unlocked at a later level, the only one was the suntan ticket that was only promotional in the summer, and it can only be used for female characters. Iirc

That's what it was (the tan).

Also, glad you enjoyed the stream. Next time come out and enjoy with us!

Good job on the stream, Markman! Was a great watch. I really like your commentary.

Lots of respect for doing something that long. Was what, 15-16 hours i think? Seems tough. >.o

I don't believe anyone who says retarded customs don't ruin the match quality for them.

You'd be surprised how many people don't give a fuck about customs.

Mastercup was fun though. Really enjoy watching T7 when you decide not to give a fuck about the game and focus on other stuff until something like Mastercup comes around.

Sayah

DoA's overpriced system still brings plenty of questionable attires into the game.

The attires are questionable because some of the females looks underage and Team Ninja is doing their darndest to sexualize every female as much as they can.

You're missing the point as to why I'm preferring a DLC costume model over a TTT2 recycled customs model.

Creaking

The attires are questionable because some of the females looks underage and Team Ninja is doing their darndest to sexualize every female as much as they can.

You're missing the point as to why I'm preferring a DLC costume model over a TTT2 recycled customs model.

I mean in a clownish way too. Look at some of the paid Halloween costumes.

Creaking

Maybe I don't fully understand your definition of clownish, but does none of this fit the criteria?

Mind you, these are just some random Halloween costumes. I figured that'd be a good place to start, but I don't really feel like looking through every overpriced costume pack the game has on hand.

Sayah

Maybe I don't fully understand your definition of clownish, but does none of this fit the criteria?

Mind you, these are just some random Halloween costumes. I figured that'd be a good place to start, but I don't really feel like looking through every overpriced costume pack the game has on hand.

Yeah, most if not all of this actually looks pretty fine.

+No super bright, blinding, close to neon colors. Check.
+No extremely ugly rainbow color combinations for clothing. Check.
+Well textured clothing that isn't heavily recycled assets from a previous entry. Check. Check.
+No extremely silly accessories that look stupid or altogether inhibit the fighting action (e.g. balloons, giant mallet, ice cream cones, fish, etc.). Check. Check. Check. Check.

Dereck

+Well textured clothing that isn't heavily recycled assets from a previous entry. Check. Check.
+No extremely silly accessories that look stupid or altogether inhibit the fighting action (e.g. balloons, giant mallet, ice cream cones, fish, etc.). Check. Check. Check. Check.

AAK

Yeah, most if not all of this actually looks pretty fine.

h7SZitX.gif

lupinko

That's what it was (the tan).

Also, glad you enjoyed the stream. Next time come out and enjoy with us!

I hope so for next year, I'm still trying to level up. Haha

My Kat is getting better and I'm practicing Lili and Dragunov in Tag 2.

I should also use Bruce to get a hang of Josie's inputs as I have her complete battle suit and idolmaster outfits.

Unrelated:

Disregard my PM about the logo design haha, I went mad with power there, though for tekken custom stick it would be better used.

I'm definitely going custom (probably try panzer fight stick over tek plexi) although I'm still on the fence for PCBs, since I'd prefer direct compatibility with PS4, which I'm not picking up until SF5.

On topic for customs: the silly customs are fine, if you don't want to use them then don't use them!

Also remember those players actually pay for those arcade items (sorta).

No different from goofy hats in TF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom