• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going online and finding nothing but customized fighters can be a buzz kill. A characters default uniform is very much a part of their personality. Hair length and hair color is also a big part of a characters personality. It is very off putting as a series veteran and to see no one plays with the classic default looks anymore. Some of the outfits that some people display and use online completely takes me out of the frame of mind to play the game. I don't want to buy this game to go online and play dress up. I don't desire it, nor will I use it, but I will have to tolerate it.

This is where I was at in 2012 on this whole customizations issue in the OG Tekken thread. Since then I have softened my position. I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or not. Sorta like having to adjust to living at a nudist colony. My new normal is to eat butt naked at the dinner table.

GrayFoxPL

Don't count on a new black character after all. That was just a guess. Don't know how much from that post can be taken for truth.

Looks like graphics are still being worked on.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/668967826498031616

Of course that zaibatsu info is just speculation. I don't remember Murray confirming anything. Speaking with Markman they literally went through that topic into character variety talk.

I don't understand this pseudo philosophical eyewash every time this topic hits Harada or Murray.

There are facts:

Fact 1: There are no black characters in T7.

Fact 2: They didn't blink an eye to put 5 members of Mishima family before anyone else.

Priorities.

However they want to spin it, it doesn't change.

I believe they'll eventually put black characters in but I'm not too sure if it's because of their original plan or people like us bitching.

I hope they are working on the graphics, seems like the build still can't handle motion blur. Wonder if someone asked about it they'll bullshit with something like: "We took it out because fans didn't like it".

Maybe they switch back the rest of the sparks too once they optimize the engine.

Numb

qA4r1sF.jpg

Jesus KOF14

Doomshine

I was suspicious of that list lol, thats why I asked. Plus there weren't any time-stamps to source that list.

The rest of the list is more or less true, it just depends on how much you read into what they said. They obviously can't confirm shit so don't set your expectations too high.

Harada also said "I hope so" when asked about a PC version, but again, doesn't really confirm anything.

sasuke_91

Wow, Cyber Caesar and that Nyuudisto Biichi!
I don't even know why a pic was necessary...

Wanted to play some T6 today but had no one to play with, so I jumped into Ranking. I don't know why, but I felt like I played the same person over and over again on a different skill level. Everyone played the same! And they played so weird... Poking the shit out of me and abusing the same low when nothing else worked. It was even worse than TTT2 Ranking.
The worst thing is... I lost quite a lot...
I feel like I don't play T6 the way it's meant to be played. I'm significantly worse at this game than I am at TTT2.

600px-CallofDutyLogo.svg.png

Tekken does compare favorably to other games in its genre. But what about outside its genre?

I remember back in my day fighting games ruled the market. The best looking game was without a doubt a fighting game, it pushed graphics technology, it had the most buzz and magazine covers.

Tekken has been the most consistent in its production values over the past twenty years. Think about SNK and their terrible track record. I've been down about Tekken ever since Tekken 6. In my opinion Tekken 6 was the first Tekken to take a nose dive in quality. This was for several reasons; a poor port, bad netcode, too many terrible customizations, a lukewarm reception to the bound systems coupled with juggles and a mediocre game story.

In all honesty I do not think Tekken 6 had a worst story compared to the prior Tekkens. In 2009 the bar was lifted across all genres and Tekken no longer could pass muster. I think we look back on older Tekkens with a type of childhood wonder and nostalgia that casts them in a slightly better light. When Tekken is good story-wise, it's good, but when it's bad, it's down right offensive. Gamers are learning the value of well told stories in coherent game universes. I wouldn't mind if a little more energy was invested in these areas.

An interesting quote that I found on IGN in reference to a completely different genre. The first person shooter:

"Not having the context of a fleshed-out, meaningful game universe can render the most mechanically solid games meaningless." Link

Key word meaningful

This is in regards to the newly released Titanfall and Star Wars Battlefront games without a campaign. I think there is much that can be learnt from the first person shooter business content model. I do think Tekken can capture a few of these listed below.

1. high production values
2. large marketing budgets
3. a flashy single player campaign
4. buzz worthy voice actors/ A-list talent
5. high profile writing talent

600px-CallofDutyLogo.svg.png

Tekken does compare favorably to other games in its genre. But what about outside it's genre?

Tekken has been the most consistent in its production values over the past twenty years. Think about SNK and their terrible track record. I've been down about Tekken ever since Tekken 6. In my opinion Tekken 6 was the first Tekken to take a nose dive in quality. This was for several reasons; a poor port, bad netcode, too many terrible customizations, a lukewarm reception to the bound systems coupled with juggles and a mediocre game story.

In all honesty I do not think Tekken 6 had a worst story compared to the prior Tekkens. In 2009 the bar was lifted across all genres and Tekken no longer could pass muster. I think we look back on older Tekkens with a type of childhood wonder and nostalgia that casts them in a slightly better light. When Tekken is good story-wise, it's good, but when it's bad, it's down right offensive. Gamers are learning the value of well told stories in coherent game universes. I wouldn't mind if a little more energy was invested in these areas.

An interesting quote that I found on IGN in reference to a completely different genre. The first person shooter:

"Not having the context of a fleshed-out, meaningful game universe can render the most mechanically solid games meaningless." Link

Key word meaningful

This is in regards to the newly released Titanfall and Star Wars Battlefront games without a campaign. I think there is much that can be learnt from the first person shooter business content model. I do think Tekken can capture a few of these listed below.

1.high production values
2. large marketing budgets
3. a flashy single player campaign
4. buzz worthy voice actors/ A-list talent
5. high profile writing talent

So pretty much Mortal Kombat?

i dont anyone is really looking for tekken to do those numbers.

MikeMyers

Speaking of MK. I found this Ed Boon quote today where he talks about Tekken and Virtua Fighter:

Out of our competitors, my favorite fighting series is Tekken. When I pick up [a new Tekken game] and play as Hwoarang or Jin Kazama, I feel like my character gained a few new moves but overall retained the same strategy. Prettier graphics, but the same basic gameplay. It's the same thing with Virtua Fighter -- I feel like I've played them all before. Coincidentally, their sales aren't nearly as big as they were back in the days of Tekken 3. I think that's something all fighting games, especially ones with multiple sequels, need to do: add something dramatically different.

Source

Dereck

Out of our competitors, my favorite fighting series is Tekken. When I pick up [a new Tekken game] and play as Hwoarang or Jin Kazama, I feel like my character gained a few new moves but overall retained the same strategy. Prettier graphics, but the same basic gameplay. It's the same thing with Virtua Fighter -- I feel like I've played them all before. Coincidentally, their sales aren't nearly as big as they were back in the days of Tekken 3. I think that's something all fighting games, especially ones with multiple sequels, need to do: add something dramatically different.
5f8svDx.gif

Speaking of MK. I found this Ed Boon quote today where he talks about Tekken and Virtua Fighter:

That's something to think about. MK1-3 were pretty much the same with 3 being the perfection of that system pretty much. 4 was an outlier. More like the 2D games than the 3D ones but you can see elements of both. MKDA-Armageddon were pretty much alike. I'm almost willing to say MKvsDC is with MK9 and MKX in a way but it could be the Outlier that MK4 was as well.

So they do a good job of mixing things up and being iterative in their own little way. Barring the actual quality of the game mind you because that's not important.

Sayah

Source

He can talk because his game is the most successful traditional fighting game series in the market currently. It managed to sell 5 million copies in the span of six months.

Don't think Tekken will ever do numbers like that again. They are clearly trying to appeal to a certain market with new characters like Lucky Chloe and Josie. Let's see how far that takes them.

People want me to shut up about customizations and character designs. But I'd rather not see a mechanically superior game series become increasingly irrelevant because it couldn't focus on its presentation more seriously.

lupinko

You know if Tekken 7 was radically different from previous games (or the series in general especially with the death of arcades in the west), that skill gap between the west and Korea/Japan would be massive and probably too hard to overcome.

Top players like Kane or MrNaps can still hold their own in Tekken 7 (Kurokuro mentioned that Kane beat him this past summer while in Japan for holiday and iirc he also spoke highly of MrNaps on stream) even with the game having a massive gap between releases.

You can use Tag 2 and maybe even Revolution to get a feel for returning characters. That's a benefit compared to other games, most notably Guilty Gear.

Tekken is still a strong arcade game, not only because it brings in mad money, but Bamco is still an amusement company. They have vested interest in getting people to game centers.

MikeMyers

Yeah I don't think Tekken 7 will sell 5 million, even if its released on PS4/Xbone/NX/Steam.

The VF games haven't really sold as well on consoles since the Saturn days. No idea how the series does in arcades these days.

Sayah

You know if Tekken 7 was radically different from previous games (or the series in general especially with the death of arcades in the west), that skill gap between the west and Korea/Japan would be massive and probably too hard to overcome.

Top players like Kane or MrNaps can still hold their own in Tekken 7 (Kurokuro mentioned that Kane beat him this past summer while in Japan for holiday and iirc he also spoke highly of MrNaps on stream) even with the game having a massive gap between releases.

You can use Tag 2 and maybe even Revolution to get a feel for returning characters. That's a benefit compared to other games, most notably Guilty Gear.

Tekken is still a strong arcade game, not only because it brings in mad money, but Bamco is still an amusement company. They have vested interest in getting people to game centers.

It doesn't have to be radically different. Tag 2 wasn't radically different but it still introduced tag assault, which opened up nearly endless new learning opportunities for the characters. I spent way too much time in Practice mode with Tag 2 as a result.

I'm personally craving a Tekken 4-styled game that has an extremely serious focus on presentation and isn't afraid of experimenting a bit. I don't see the large benefit in keeping 0.00001% of American fans competitive with Japan.

I also understand why there's a focus on the arcade version and actually was a fan of the arcade model until recently. I thought the Tekken 6 2-year timeline was a one hit wonder and we wouldn't have to wait that long again. Outside of Tekken 6 (and soon Tekken 7), I don't think any Tekken has made 90%+ of its fans wait close to 2 years before getting their hands on the game.

I'd rather not see a mechanically superior game series become increasingly irrelevant because it couldn't focus on its presentation more seriously.

Well said Sayah. Tekken can surpass other games on the story front too. Tekken has a better story if you exclude the dry comedy. Tekken is best when it's fairly grounded and mildly mature. I'd like to see the Tekken Team put a writing team together and produce a decent mature story. It would be nice if they could produce a story related marketing video doc. TTT2 did a good job with Leo and Steve, their plot threads could be maturely expanded upon. Tekken is a well established Japanese brand. People have come to expect nonsensical folly from Tekken on the story front. Tekken could fulfill a lot of empty promises with the occasional death or major revelation. My only fear is the last time Tekken team tried they produced Blood Vengeance. When it comes to story they need to keep the focus centered on action and martial arts and let everything else become tertiary.

It doesn't have to be radically different. Tag 2 wasn't radically different but it still introduced tag assault, which opened up nearly endless new learning opportunities for the characters. I spent way too much time in Practice mode with Tag 2 as a result.

Well if that's the case and we'll see with future updates and characters what's the difference between TTT2 and T7 when it comes to system changes. Besides actually using a mechanic(Tag) to a more proportionate extent that had never been done before in series.

And people want you and others to shut up about customizations because we get it.....you don't like them and its been burned into this thread plenty of times already. Like ZTS said its gone from a legit complaint to a strawman aspect about the series to cover up the fact that you're losing interest in the the game.

Sayah

Well if that's the case and we'll see with future updates and characters what's the difference between TTT2 and T7 when it comes to system changes. Besides actually using a mechanic(Tag) to a more proportionate extent that had never been done before in series.

And people want you and others to shut up about customizations because we get it.....you don't like them and its been burned into this thread plenty of times already. Like ZTS said its gone from a legit complaint to a strawman aspect about the series to cover up the fact that you're losing interest in the the game.

lol, it's not a cover up for losing interest in the series. Let's assume things, why don't we.

FYI, I had been playing Tekken 7 at Dave & Busters when it was available there and was legitimately upset when it got removed. The US arcade versions didn't have any of the customization nonsense so I enjoyed the game despite not being used to the joystick control system. If you go back several pages, you can read my initial impressions of the game as well, which were fervently positive. But as the customs started pouring out of Asia and Namco started recycling more and more of past items instead of putting in a lot of new customs, my opinion towards the game also turned increasingly negative.

Tekken 7 is interesting in that it's simultaneously very hype and anti-hype. Since its been confirmed that we have Tekken Project devs reading forums, I can only hope it helps to harp on the anti-hype elements so they can be fixed.

Well said Sayah. Tekken can surpass other games on the story front too. Tekken has a better story if you exclude the dry comedy. Tekken is best when it's fairly grounded and mildly mature. I'd like to see the Tekken Team put a writing team together and produce a decent mature story. It would be nice if they could produce a story related marketing video doc. TTT2 did a good job with Leo and Steve, their plot threads could be maturely expanded upon. Tekken is a well established Japanese brand. People have come to expect nonsensical folly from Tekken on the story front. Tekken could fulfill a lot of empty promises with the occasional death or major revelation. My only fear is the last time Tekken team tried they produced Blood Vengeance. When it comes to story they need to keep the focus centered on action and martial arts and let everything else become tertiary.

100% agreed.

sasuke_91

Because T6 is a better game...huehuehue(half-joking here)

But serious you do know that the game is laggier than TTT2?
Yeah it is. But I have the same problem Offline. The ground game is way more important in T6 than in TTT2, but I'm not someone who pokes his opponent to death. The only character I seriously rely on mix ups with is Steve. He's the only one I can play as good as in TTT2 :p

I'm also a bit tired of the costumization arguments. Koreans were always known for their ugly costumes, nothing new. I've seen way too many great costumes in TTT2 to hate that system though. Overall, I've seen more great than ugly costumes in that game.

AAK

Certain series can afford to be radically different. MK can. SF in some ways can. Soul Calibur can. Tekken and VF not so much.

I'm sorry... I can't understand this statement anyway I look at it. What exactly is so special about Tekken and VF that exempt themselves from trying to implement new gameplay paradigms? Even during Tekken's prime from the Tekken 3 - Tekken 5 era, the other videogames that were in the same league of popularity in their respective genres like Metal Gear Solid & Resident Evil all evolved in countless ways leading to today to maintain their dominance. Hell, Tekken 5 sold more than RECV/MGS3. All those companies made huge strides with RE4, MGS4 to become the bigger juggernauts they are today. And it also says something how Mortal Kombat is now more popular than it has ever been in its history, and the same thing with SFV since probably SF2.

And the customization complaints is just one aspect of a whole bigger picture. Tekken 7 recycles way too damned much compared to any other entry in the series. Even if the entire movesets were recycled, the additions to the movelist is also minimal compared to previous entries. Looking at King for example, every Tekken game he got some kind of new grapple, with T3 he got the ground grapples + d/f+1+2 chain throw, in T4 he got the SW, Rock Bottom, In T5 he got air throws, jaguar step chain throws, In T6 he got the Wall Choke Toss, F5 to Press Slam, etc. In T7 I can't think of one new grab he got. At the very least he got one of the Tekken 2 animations redone (the f,f,n,2 CH Throw Transition)... but still a far cry from something like T5 or T6 where so many more moves got re-animated The same applies to so many other characters compared to what we expected from a Tekken sequel of the previous generation.

I'm sorry I keep harping on about it... but I can't help but voice it more and more when I can't hear anyone at Namco acknowledge this anywhere. I would shut up if Namco says the series isn't worth investing that much anymore since that would make it clear to me they're not trying to compete with the other companies anymore.

To me that's not a valid excuse for stagnating the series. There are so many other avenues Namco can sell Tekken to the west since Arcades are dead here. There are plenty of other business models to explore that allow Namco to sell Tekken to arcades AND give the west a platform to play the game too.

lol, it's not a cover up for losing interest in the series. Let's assume things, why don't we.

FYI, I had been playing Tekken 7 at Dave & Busters when it was available there and was legitimately upset when it got removed. The US arcade versions didn't have any of the customization nonsense so I enjoyed the game despite not being used to the joystick control system. If you go back several pages, you can read my initial impressions of the game as well, which were fervently positive. But as the customs started pouring out of Asia and Namco started recycling more and more of past items instead of putting in a lot of new customs, my opinion towards the game also turned increasingly negative.

Tekken 7 is interesting in that it's simultaneously very hype and anti-hype. Since its been confirmed that we have Tekken Project devs reading forums, I can only hope it helps to harp on the anti-hype elements so they can be fixed.

I was mostly speaking in general because I actually know you like the game, should've made that clear, its still annoying though.

I'm sorry... I can't understand this statement anyway I look at it. What exactly is so special about Tekken and VF that exempt themselves from being trying to implement new gameplay paradigms? Even during Tekken's prime from the Tekken 3 - Tekken 5 era, the other videogames that were in the same league of popularity in their respective genres like Metal Gear Solid & Resident Evil all evolved in countless ways leading to today to maintain their dominance. Hell, Tekken 5 sold more than RECV/MGS3. All those companies made huge strides with RE4, MGS4 to become the bigger juggernauts they are today. And it also says something how Mortal Kombat is now more popular than it has ever been in its history, and the same thing with SFV since probably SF2.

And the customization complaints is just one aspect of a whole bigger picture. Tekken 7 recycles way too damned much compared to any other entry in the series. Even if the entire movesets were recycled, the additions to the movelist is also minimized compared to previous entries. Looking at King for example, every Tekken game he got some kind of new grapple, with T3 he got the ground grapples + d/f+1+2 chain throw, in T4 he got the SW, Rock Bottom, In T5 he got air throws, jaguar step chain throws, In T6 he got the Wall Choke Toss, F5 to Press Slam, etc. In T7 I can't think of one new grab he got. At the very least he got one of the Tekken 2 animations redone (the f,f,n,2 CH Throw Transition). The same applies to so many other characters compared to what we expected from a Tekken sequel of the previous generation.

I'm sorry I keep harping on about it... but I can't help but voice it more and more when I can't hear anyone at Namco acknowledge this anywhere.

To me that's not a valid excuse for stagnating the series. There are so many other avenues Namco can sell Tekken to the west since Arcades are dead here. There are plenty of other business models to explore that allow Namco to sell Tekken to arcades AND give the west a platform to play the game too.

My point was that the iterative nature of the series is a boon to its potential success in the future. RE4 is an exception rather than the rule because RE4 is just a masterpiece and it still has mad backlash from Old School RE fans. VF and Tekken aren't exempt rather they'd likely be punished for it mainly due to waning popularity. This is especially so in VF's case. When it comes to recycling of stuff..dude Namco has been recycling its stuff from Tekken and Soul Calibur for YEEAAAARRRS and its like you just caught on or you've seen the wizard behind the curtain. Nightmare has/used to havve hellsweep, Yoshi pulls some of his shit from Soul Calibur, Hwang and Yun-Seong pull from Hwoarang and Hwoarang get's stuff right back. Does it seem more blatant? Yeah. Is it lazy? Yeah. Will Namco stop doing it because its a time and cost reducing method? No.

AAK

I'm not against the concept of recycling. Sometimes it makes sense. Shaheen recycling Xiba's cartwheel and Tira's surf slide or Kunimitsu recycling Natsu's air throw is fine because it's subtle.

Josie recylcing a complete super, obnoxiously nonsensical customizations with PS2 era texture-work/physics, and so many of the Tekken 2 animations carrying forward into this 8th generations of consoles? That's where the line has to be drawn. Tekken series indeed has always recycled stuff, but there was enough new with each new iteration to see the appeal of a new game whether it was all the new throw break animations in T5, or the new stances and movesets people got in T6, etc. The point being that T7 is a significantly smaller increment to any of the other Tekken sequels when the series was in dire need of an overhaul after 3 mainline games that didn't stray all that far off one another.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Okay NeoGAF. I know you guys (some) are always quick to rule whenever I say exciting times are ahead.

I mean it. I'm more excited for TEKKEN than ever. MASTERCUP 8 was a great experience and you have no idea how excited I am for the TEKKEN 7 Global Finals on Dec. 12th. <3

GrayFoxPL

New Zealand will take it all.

Can't feel excited about T7 at all. Big things need to happen. Or good things need to happen. Something needs to happen.

If either proper 3d movement, rich oki/floats, new movesets aren't a go again, T7 will still be a snoozfest to watch for me. The bizarre stiffness, shitty oki and and sluggy cement boots movement I just can't swallow.

Should I mention bringing "not-installed" load times and Laaaaaag experience to arcades?

Or make another Beardzuya. :p

New Zealand will take it all.

Can't feel excited about T7 at all. Big things need to happen. Or good things need to happen. Something needs to happen.

If either proper 3d movement, rich oki/floats, new movesets aren't a go again, T7 will still be a snoozfest to watch for me. The bizarre stiffness, shitty oki and and sluggy cement boots movement I just can't swallow.

Should I mention bringing "not-installed" load times and Laaaaaag experience to arcades?

Or make another Beardzuya. :p

Thank you for this well though post that we haven't heard before.

Anyways Tekken finals are gonna be fun.

Okay NeoGAF. I know you guys (some) are always quick to rule whenever I say exciting times are ahead.

I mean it. I'm more excited for TEKKEN than ever. MASTERCUP 8 was a great experience and you have no idea how excited I am for the TEKKEN 7 Global Finals on Dec. 12th. <3

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

The next couple weekends are gonna be sick, with Dreamhack, then PSX and then T7 globals the week after.

AZUMIKE

Lets go!

Dereck

That's cool.

I can't tell if you're hinting at something , or if you're really just so excited to see another tournament of the same old Tekken 7, I'm gonna guess the latter.

Yeah.
Maybe the "boring" Koreans will win again and you can say how improperly they play Tekken 7 with their Tekken 6 style.
osetmdP.gif

Sayah

Cautiously optimistic.

You're welcome.

Yeah.
Maybe the "boring" Koreans will win again and you can say how improperly they play Tekken 7 with their Tekken 6 style.

Spoiler tagged for folks who didn't watch mastercup 8.

Yes because 3v3 round robin format just exemplifies that right?

Still find Korean play boring but it doesn't mean they haven't learned what's worked since evo. We'll see though.

Let me get the gaf hookup for a worlds ticket ;)

But yea, Mc8 was fun to match. Looking forward to everything.

sasuke_91

Good to hear :)
I still have to watch Mastercup. I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy watching T7 matches until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom