• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

*clicks link*

inWmh9rrcyCSb.gif

So I ordered the last Mad Katz K stick that Aris had. Will be my final attempt to convert into a stick player for Tekken. Hope it at least goes somewhat smoothly.

Dang man, you should've waited IMO... I doubt future Tekken games will use the Skullgirls compatibility code to let you use your PS3 sticks.

So I ordered the last Mad Katz K stick that Aris had. Will be my final attempt to convert into a stick player for Tekken. Hope it at least goes somewhat smoothly.

I bought the first one when he put them up around New Years. I have to learn how to backdash cancel all over again, and sometimes the U/F and U/B diagonals don't come out right, but that's all me. Also having to re-learn inputs like f,n,d,d/f and HCF again, and change my buffer timing.

A lot of my other inputs are super clean now though. Like I can dash forwards or backwards into b,f+4 with Ogres/Bruce cleanly. I don't do weird shit like u/f+1 or random hops anymore, and motions like iSW and instant fff+3 are far easier.

So far so good.

AAK

I'll be okay with modding it when/if that time comes.

If you can do that, much respect! I once found the tutorial on how to dual mod a PS3 stick assuming you bought the PCB yourself to work on Xbox. That was waaaay too complicated for me.

Manbig

I don't do weird shit like u/f+1 or random hops anymore,

So far so good.

That right there was my biggest issue next to the whole keeping the stick angled properly on my lap thing.

If you can do that, much respect! I once found the tutorial on how to dual mod a PS3 stick assuming you bought the PCB yourself to work on Xbox. That was waaaay too complicated for me.

If I get into T7, I wouldn't be dual modding. That's a one way trip for me.

Manbig

So on JDCR's stream earlier today, he shared some info about Tekken 7. One thing stuck out to me,

Devil Kazuya's EWGF hits mid, but is -10 on block with no pushback. Also, Kaz can only turn into Devil during rage, so this is actually a pretty big risk.

GrayFoxPL

So on JDCR's stream earlier today, he shared some info about Tekken 7. One thing stuck out to me,

Devil Kazuya's EWGF hits mid, but is -10 on block with no pushback. Also, Kaz can only turn into Devil during rage, so this is actually a pretty big risk.

Nice. EWGF duckers will have a bad time, lol. Hope someone sums up JDCR info.

sasuke_91

That's a pretty big nerf. Is this the first time that EWGF is punishable?

tumblr_inline_mpgu5eub1R1qz4rgp.gif

I don't think this really changes much.

Manbig

Well it gives him a much easier high damage mix up out of crouch dash without the need to cancel it into WS moves.

AND, assuming that they didn't change the frames, it gives him an i13~i14 mid launcher that is only jab punishable.

Well it gives him a much easier high damage mix up out of crouch dash without the need to cancel it into WS moves.

AND, assuming that they didn't change the frames, it gives him an i13~i14 mid launcher that is only jab punishable.

It could be launch punishable & it wouldn't make a difference. At the amount of life left when Rage becomes active, one proper jab punish will kill.

This is old news too. Michael Murry talk about this on the very first Tekken location test stream. There are videos of it & everything.

It all adds to that final, last hit of the round hype.

The slow motion Jean Claude Van Damme end of round final hit effect

Devil Kaz mid EWGF either hitting the mixup for possibly kill damage, or getting blocked for the 10f kill.

That slow motion jab punish tho. So hype. I think they should throw in some Michael Bay splosions to seal the deal.

Oh, and Matrix style spinning camera, just to be sure.

sasuke_91

Oh, and Matrix style spinning camera, just to be sure.
Hell no.

Good games Manbig. I used a different controller today. It has a very soft D-Pad, so my execution was a bit off and a lot of wrong inputs happened. Dropped half of my combos.
As you could see I still haven't practiced those Marduk setups. I should do that before playing against you next time.
I feel like the characters I could pressure you most with were Steve and Leo. I should pair them up next time ;)

Manbig

Hell no.

Good games Manbig. I used a different controller today. It has a very soft D-Pad, so my execution was a bit off and a lot of wrong inputs happened. Dropped half of my combos.
As you could see I still haven't practiced those Marduk setups. I should do that before playing against you next time.
I feel like the characters I could pressure you most with were Steve and Leo. I should pair them up next time ;)

GGs duder. Leo I know next to zero about, so you can feel free to abuse me with that.

Steve, I'm not necessarily afraid of him. If I get hit with something big, it's typically me pressing buttons when I shouldn't. Also, note how I abuse Marduk d4 the most vs Steve and Hwo. That's because they're probably not gonna launch me for it. That is pretty much how I approach that match up.

A few more things to note:

- You started like 95% of your rounds with Hwo with a SSL into either a move or cancel it into a block. I just went low on you nearly every single time and you ate it just about every single time. Outside of a few special situations, Marduk's low pokes are just about impossible to SS around. You have to change up the way that you start your rounds a bit more. You can backdash to bait a whiff and punish it, or even just backdash into a quick duck because none of my quick mids will reach you. AAK does this fairly often and it usually works out pretty well for him.

- You throw out moves from across the screen way too much. You might connect on me when I'm playing sluggish or poorly, but when I'm on point, I will make you hurt for just about every single one of those. Be more careful with that whiff quick recovery move into another launcher stuff. That's online play 101 and players that are better than me WILL murder you for doing too much of that shit. Same goes for that backroll into iWS launcher tactic. Be careful who you do that kind of stuff against.

- Much like you started the round the same way most of the time, you got up the same way most of the time also. You would stay down, side roll, and then get up with whatever. Had my timing been better, or were lag not a factor, you would've taken a ton of damage doing that every time. This I can understand you doing though since you're too unfamiliar with the oki of my characters to know if you would get floated for standing straight up, but at one point you have to change it up so you don't give your opponents a free 20 - 30 (or more for Marduk) damage nearly every single time that you get knocked down.

Those were the glaring things that stuck out to me during our matches. You seem to have a good grasp of a lot of the other stuff. Just wish the connection was better.

sasuke_91

Wow, thanks for the advice.

- You started like 95% of your rounds with Hwo with a SSL into either a move or cancel it into a block. I just went low on you nearly every single time and you ate it just about every single time. Outside of a few special situations, Marduk's low pokes are just about impossible to SS around. You have to change up the way that you start your rounds a bit more. You can backdash to bait a whiff and punish it, or even just backdash into a quick duck because none of my quick mids will reach you. AAK does this fairly often and it usually works out pretty well for him.

I used to backdash all the time, now I sidestep all the time. I should really start the round in different ways sometimes.

- You throw out moves from across the screen way too much. You might connect on me when I'm playing sluggish or poorly, but when I'm on point, I will make you hurt for just about every single one of those. Be more careful with that whiff quick recovery move into another launcher stuff. That's online play 101 and players that are better than me WILL murder you for doing too much of that shit. Same goes for that backroll into iWS launcher tactic. Be careful who you do that kind of stuff against.

I definitely blame ranked for this. People walk into those launchers everytime, so I kind of made it a habit to throw them out mid-range. I try to stop that when I play a decent player, but it's hard to adjust.

- Much like you started the round the same way most of the time, you got up the same way most of the time also. You would stay down, side roll, and then get up with whatever. Had my timing been better, or were lag not a factor, you would've taken a ton of damage doing that every time. This I can understand you doing though since you're too unfamiliar with the oki of my characters to know if you would get floated for standing straight up, but at one point you have to change it up so you don't give your opponents a free 20 - 30 (or more for Marduk) damage nearly every single time that you get knocked down.

Thanks. I'll try to remember this.

The connection felt like something between 3 and 4 bars. You and Sayah are the only US players I get such a good connection with. Of course there was still some noticable lag.

Manbig

Every time I play a long set with someone, if I notice something that I can critique about their play, I always try to go out of my way to share it. Even if I'm on the losing end of the set. It helps everyone improve.

The connection was fluctuating between 2 - 4 bars. I'm quite sure that's why I dropped most of my CH d/b2 Marduk juggles because I was going for the easy can't miss follow up, not the high damage one. Missing that juggle would have got me launched if you weren't using Hwo.

Sayah

Oooooh thanks for posting.

But WTF is going on with Claudio?

And Hwoarangs pose looks like something Lili would pose as.

Rheon

I'm thinking there might actually be some reason behind Octo-Claudio.

You guys know the way we've seen Claudio without the tattoo on his face in some gameplay videos, right? What if the tattooed version of Claudio is like.. an evil/corrupted version of him? Kinda like Tira in SC and how she can switch from happy/sad.

Or you know, it could just be a Namco employee fucking up.

Pachimari

I'm thinking there might actually be some reason behind Octo-Claudio.

You guys know the way we've seen Claudio without the tattoo on his face in some gameplay videos, right? What if the tattooed version of Claudio is like.. an evil/corrupted version of him? Kinda like Tira in SC and how she can switch from happy/sad.

Or you know, it could just be a Namco employee fucking up.

It really does look like a fuck up but FlyingWonkey have been hinting, that he knows something, but he can't reveal it yet.

GrayFoxPL

Hope we get full res soon.

Steve, Paul, Leo, Law, Feng and Kaz look the best and their faces look kinda new.

Lars the worst, really bad junkyard armor, lol.

I hope there aren't double Claudios. ;P

AAK

I'm reposting this from the other thread but Aris's comments about the advertising on ATPLive 2 weeks ago is really spot on IMO. NRS reveals a trailer for MKX and everyone gets hype seeing evolved designs, brand new animations, and well paced cuts. Namco reveals something and it's hardly anything to get excited about. They're doing some of the worst marketing for such a big title I've ever seen. Last cool thing we really got to see was the new post apocalypse and snow stage in the newest trailer. Other than it's things we can see and do in Tekken revolution except the Supers. Even in the topic of supers, the only character that has something that looks like a new animation for it is King.

Now with the character select CG reveal it basically confirmed our fears that everything was gonna be recycled except Kazuya/Lars.

When are they gonna show something that'll get me hyped again :(

Dereck

But I'll already have seen everything outside the story that the game offers from the Arcade vids.
Me too, fortunately for Namco however, Joe Shmoe is not watching taktak Tekken videos weekly. He's probably only seen "one trailer", all of the Joe Shmoes will be exited once the home release wave of trailers and stuff comes out.

GrayFoxPL

But I'll already have seen everything outside the story that the game offers from the Arcade vids.

Still we haven't seen(hopefully) all new moves for old characters. We didn't really see what new characters can really do. We saw nothing of Shaheen. Also we don't know who'll be back in Feb(Jin&Lee).

We don't know who's broken. Someone is bound to.

I just hope they sped up the game. That Korean build seemed so slow and stiff I wished I was watching Tag2 instead.

Sayah

Yeah, the advertising for MKX and Tekken 7 is not very comparable. They have different scenes and audiences they are catering to at the moment. Tekken is only concerned with Japanese/Korean arcade fans at the current point, which is why streams and trailers are all on niconico/Japanese YouTube account.

With that being said, I really would have appreciated new character design.

Evil robot Alisa would have been so cool over the current pink hair "I'm so happy to meet everyone" rainbow and sunshine Alisa.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, the advertising for MKX and Tekken 7 is not very comparable. They have different scenes and audiences they are catering to at the moment. Tekken is only concerned with Japanese/Korean arcade fans at the current point, which is why streams and trailers are all on niconico/Japanese YouTube account.

With that being said, I really would have appreciated new character design.

Evil robot Alisa would have been so cool over the current pink hair "I'm so happy to meet everyone" rainbow and sunshine Alisa.

Yeah. And how many chances they had to redesign Bryan. I mean in T4 ending they literally said he'll have a new body. Lol. He could be a Terminator by now yet he didn't change his pants since T5.

Bruce could be substituted by that kid who looked up on him, with remixed moveset.

Wang could have young apprentice. Remixed moveset.

Richard Williams could enter the ring. I don't care if he's dead.

Lei could have a kung fu daughter.

Paul suddenly hears he has a son in New Zealand who's trying to kill him.

This all could happen still in T7. Though chances are like not getting hit by deathfist, ever.

Pachimari

I at least hope, that after the conclusion of the Mishima saga, that they'll freshen up everything in Tekken 8. At least replace some of the old guard like GrayFox is suggesting, and update stuff really.

They'll probably find a way, to make Tekken 8 about the Mishima saga again anyway.

I just resigned myself to the fact that I am not going to be excited at all for this game until I have it in my hands.

It's sad, TTT2 still feels fresh to me, even now.

GrayFoxPL

I at least hope, that after the conclusion of the Mishima saga, that they'll freshen up everything in Tekken 8. At least replace some of the old guard like GrayFox is suggesting, and update stuff really.

They'll probably find a way, to make Tekken 8 about the Mishima saga again anyway.

Tekken 8 will focus on Kazama saga...

...guest starring The Mishima family :].

At this point I would have to say worrying about T7 is kinda fruitless. Unless you're going to be playing it soon then I could see the point

*says the person planning to go to evo.*

sasuke_91

I'm still hyped for Tekken 7. I hope the story is really cool and T4-like. I'm also hyped just because of a current gen Tekken. More people to play with and hopefully decent netcode.

I'm not going to switch mains. I'll still be playing a lot of Hwoarang. I will learn Shaheen though. I really dig his style. Those clothes, that Sunnah-beard :D
I might be trolling some people with Lucky Chloe too :p

*says the person planning to go to evo.*
Nice!

AAK

Best? REally?

For a while I was convinced that Namco was trying to turn Jin into a homosexual with that outfit along with that "metero-sexual" hair style customization they had for him in Tekken 5. I have NEVER seen a male wear a fur sleaved coat.

Numb

All this new info of Tekken 7 made it seem like it was close to release but it is basically a question mark when i would play this.
My friend could not handle the region lock of P4A and thus boycotted Ultimax. I wonder what would happen if he was a Tekken fan.

It's Fuzzy Jin.

Lucky Chloe singlehandedly destroyed his devil genes with her kawaii bullshit.

His demon headbutt throw f,f1+2 has been replaced. The new throw is called the Shinblade Hug. It's a 10 second grapple for zero damage and is unbreakable, but the opponent can mash any button and their character will yell out "WHO BITCH THIS IS!"

Up next: Hairy Heihachi (arm hair like the Love Charger) and Chaps Kazuya (use your imagination).

Pachimari

Best? REally?

For a while I was convinced that Namco was trying to turn Jin into a homosexual with that outfit along with that "metero-sexual" hair style customization they had for him in Tekken 5. I have NEVER seen a male wear a fur sleaved coat.
Not the best but one of his best.

His best is probably the blue hoodie or his classic pants with a flame but in white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom