• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Sasuke has everything to destroy ranked players. He has the skill set. He just respects opponents too much. Doesn't pressure every time he has the chance. Like backdashes when opponent's at the wall instead of pin him up with every dirty mixup there is. Too often Sasuke gives space and time to figure out strategy against him. That's why when we play I point out to him that he's better when he's aggressive, when he limits opponent's options by pressuring and don't gives freedom to just eg. fire up a 25 frame guard breaking plus frames move. I just want to make my buddy more mean of a fighting machine, hehe. Safety of the trigger.

This is too true. He just needs to be on them all the time. I have to go to him everytime we fight and his gameplay is to react to what i do instead of coming up in my face and mixing me up especially with Hwoarang because i know none of his gimmicks. I sometimes wonder if you are practicing backdashes on me. Be relentless but not to my degree which is the polar opposite of your playstyle.

Numb

I can never remember strings of attack and which buttons to press.

If you try to remember the entire movelist of a character it will be impossible. Just remember a couple of strings and move up from there. Since Tekken is limb based, you can press the butttons for each limb without knowing what move will come out and still get a string.
Like dragunov press 4,4 and two right kicks come out or Lili press 3,2,3 and a left kick a right punch and another left kick come out i believe. That is why tekken is good for mashing especially when the execution for strings are not super strict with the timing like other fighters.

Pachimari

Yeah I know all of that, but I don't want to be a button-masher heh. :)

Anyway, I gotta practice the basics first and get used to that arcade stick.

Numb

Yeah I know all of that, but I don't want to be a button-masher heh. :)

Anyway, I gotta practice the basics first and get used to that arcade stick.

Indeed. Tekken with ts huge movelist per character is good for button mashing for Mokujin users like myslf but it is definately not the answer. As with any fighting game you improve by playing and getting used to the flow of the game. Soon you will be doing strings on autopilot.
Who do you use?

Numb

Usually Marshall Law or Bruce Irvin but I'm gonna change my main to someone else, who is also in Tekken 7.

Law is a good pick right now and he has a clone too so you already have a team right there.
Bruce is not yet confirmed for Tekken 7 though. When Tekken 7 is released i also intend to get a new main since Jinpachi and Marrduk seem to not be in it. But i seem to have a problem deciding who. I wanna play Bryan because i have never played him before but trying to learn him in a decent way is hard for me. All i keep doing is snake edge all the time and a random orbital. I tried to do taunt into jet upper one time and just gave up. I hope you have an easier time finding a new main

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'd recommend Feng. He relies on strong fundamentals, has good all round tools, and is in Tekken 7.

In addition he's a fucking baller

sasuke_91

This is too true. He just needs to be on them all the time. I have to go to him everytime we fight and his gameplay is to react to what i do instead of coming up in my face and mixing me up especially with Hwoarang because i know none of his gimmicks. I sometimes wonder if you are practicing backdashes on me. Be relentless but not to my degree which is the polar opposite of your playstyle.

Haha, my backdashing seems to be a little extreme against you. The thing is, you're really good with those frame-traps and teleporting, so I'm afraid to go into close combat with you. I just stay in mid-range and try to get you with a JFSR or b+3 when you try to go in. You already figured me out though, so I should change that strategy...
That relentlessness got you to Berserker again real quick :D And thank you for the advice.

I will have trouble getting good at Tekken if I have a very bad memory right? Right? :(

You don't have to have a good memory. Which moves should be used in certain situations comes from experience. The only thing you have to remember is your characters' punishers. Even combos are done just by muscle memory. If you get it once, you'll get it everytime. If you want to play sometimes, add me -> UchihaSasuke_91

Oh yeah, Manbig. I just noticed. Warrior-Pugilist is usually referred to as yellow ranks. Red is Genbu-Suzaku^^

Manbig

Oh yeah, Manbig. I just noticed. Warrior-Pugilist is usually referred to as yellow ranks. Red is Genbu-Suzaku^^

I know. These yellow ranks aren't that hard to get through. I've played less than 200 ranked matches the whole time I've had this game.

Hwoarang's Super: (Just like everyone else except King, it's a bunch of older moves stringed together with the same animations since T6)

https://dl3.volafile.io/get/H8_uPgUrwCIFC/ra.mp4

Still, looks awesome. I'm so excited for Nina's super.
I'm glad Tekken finally managed to implement some cinematic touches. Makes the game so much more visually interesting and should have a huge positive effect with the casual crowd (like me).

AAK

Still, looks awesome. I'm so excited for Nina's super.
I'm glad Tekken finally managed to implement some cinematic touches. Makes the game so much more visually interesting and should have a huge positive effect with the casual crowd (like me).

I disagree, just looking at a bunch of canned animations, especially one that you have acccess to in the neutral game, is no where near as cool as doing the combo yourself. If the cast got something extremely unique like a Mortal Kombat X-Ray that has extremely distinct animations on both the person executing the super, and the person getting hit it would make much more sense and I'd really like that. If Namco's just going to copy paste the same animations I already have at least let me do the inputs.

If anyone has played Last Blade 2, They should have just gone that route with what SNK did with their Speed Desperation Move Chains... they used pre-existing animations from the neutral game but in a super "cut-scene like" presentation but I still had control and you could also modify which move came out in that super.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm saying this but.... Dead or Alive's implementation of supers is significantly better than Namco's:
With Dead or Alive you had choice between the Supers. You could either do a canned animation from a charge up... or you could do a very damaging class 1 launcher and do your own custom combo that... when properly optimized it will guarantee more damage than the canned animation version. But if you really did want to do the Canned animation version, the attacks were quick and not as obnoxious. And to top it all off, every stage had contex sensitive area's where you could do a super on those Area's and get one last hit after the super is done... this gave the player way more options and uses for everything. But I do have to remember Namco is doing everything in their power to dumb the game down as much as they can so I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Numb

Haha, my backdashing seems to be a little extreme against you. The thing is, you're really good with those frame-traps and teleporting, so I'm afraid to go into close combat with you. I just stay in mid-range and try to get you with a JFSR or b+3 when you try to go in. You already figured me out though, so I should change that strategy...
That relentlessness got you to Berserker again real quick :D And thank you for the advice.
no problem man. I started playig ranked again and it was quite the experience. It seems like every single match i am much more desperate than when i play player matches and my opponents are much different than what i am generally used to. I got to berserker and stopped but i wanna continue and see how far i get but it seems as though berserker fits me well.

@Grayfox GGS man. That was definately the longest session i have been in. I think it was atleast 4hrs or almost 5 i think. Those shredders got me every single time and you even ended the session with them to boot. And everytime you used Baek i never won even once. Even the simplest gimmicks can be my downfall.

Dereck

I think I caught the AAK bug guys, seriously though, I'm starting to dislike the fact that I am liking this game less the more I think about it and look at it, for reasons already stated.

AAK

I wouldn't say "I don't like the game".

Come 2016 when there will be DOALR, MKX, USF4, and GGXrd being the other big games in the market I still will be gaming more on Tekken 7 than the other games just because I enjoy Tekken's core design the most.

I'm venting because what I'm seeing just looks like such wasted opportunities. You have the development team that made such incredible advancements and pioneered the Tekken series to what we see in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Now here we are in the next big step for the series with millions and millions of dollars being poured into it and I can't believe their design or art choices...

It's like being in an audience where you're about to witness the most famous contemporary poet give a show and then he/she just goes on stage and says, "the cat sat on the mat"... and walks off. I can't help but be disappointed.

EDIT: I should stress that this effect is pretty isolated towards me considering how much time I've put into the game. Reading through the FGW thread people are relatively upbeat about the game... even people who used to openly bash Tekken are giving the Tekken 7 footage praise. I guess they can't watch the footage in the perspective as I do comparing it to Tekken Tag 2 and Tekken Revolution.

Pachimari

You don't have to have a good memory. Which moves should be used in certain situations comes from experience. The only thing you have to remember is your characters' punishers. Even combos are done just by muscle memory. If you get it once, you'll get it everytime. If you want to play sometimes, add me -> UchihaSasuke_91

I will add you. :)

sasuke_91

I know. These yellow ranks aren't that hard to get through. I've played less than 200 ranked matches the whole time I've had this game.

I'll see if I can get to yellow first^^
I'm not that good though, seriously. I'm already struggling against spammers.

It's like being in an audience where you're about to witness the most famous contemporary poet give a show and then he/she just goes on stage and says, "the cat sat on the mat"... and walks off. I can't help but be disappointed.
That... that was beautiful :')
I get your point though. And I agree.

GrayFoxPL

I will have trouble getting good at Tekken if I have a very bad memory right? Right? :(

I have very bad memory and still play multiple characters. Of course I tend to totally mix up who my tag partner is mid combo and eg. I input 1,2,4 as Paul because in previous fight I used Jin. Totally messed up combos. XD But if you stick longer to fewer characters memory gets better.

Hwoarang's Super: (Just like everyone else except King, it's a bunch of older moves stringed together with the same animations since T6)

https://dl3.volafile.io/get/H8_uPgUrwCIFC/ra.mp4

Sadly so far Tekken 7 suffers from Copypastim Totalis. I hope Final March release will cure it somewhat.

I disagree, just looking at a bunch of canned animations, especially one that you have acccess to in the neutral game, is no where near as cool as doing the combo yourself. If the cast got something extremely unique like a Mortal Kombat X-Ray that has extremely distinct animations on both the person executing the super, and the person getting hit it would make much more sense and I'd really like that. If Namco's just going to copy paste the same animations I already have at least let me do the inputs.

If anyone has played Last Blade 2, They should have just gone that route with what SNK did with their Speed Desperation Move Chains... they used pre-existing animations from the neutral game but in a super "cut-scene like" presentation but I still had control and you could also modify which move came out in that super.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm saying this but.... Dead or Alive's implementation of supers is significantly better than Namco's:
With Dead or Alive you had choice between the Supers. You could either do a canned animation from a charge up... or you could do a very damaging class 1 launcher and do your own custom combo that... when properly optimized it will guarantee more damage than the canned animation version. But if you really did want to do the Canned animation version, the attacks were quick and not as obnoxious. And to top it all off, every stage had contex sensitive area's where you could do a super on those Area's and get one last hit after the super is done... this gave the player way more options and uses for everything. But I do have to remember Namco is doing everything in their power to dumb the game down as much as they can so I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Dead or Alive Power Blows are better in the sense you actually have to put honest skill to land them. Either by critical burst or heavy mix up. They are also interruptible, no armor nonsense. They have manually controlled charge time and canceling. They start at half health. They are short.

Let's be honest Rage Art is tool that literally awards losing. Game just tells you "You got your ass kicked. Here, have a bazooka." and "Fire it up, you have nothing to lose anyway at this point."

But let's also be fair AAK. You forgot they added ability to cancel RageArt into own combo. We already know Paul and Law can do it and I suspect every RageArt that has a "bounce" can be canceled. Maybe characters without bounce have different cancels or abilities. Kazuya exchanges his RageArt for Devil Kazuya. Maybe Leo can eg. get new stance or super Ki Charge where he can block.

So it's not so bad as canned animation and that's it.

I expect we'll rarely see generic full animation RageArt in serious matches. I think players will figure out stronger combos where RageArt will be only a launcher.

no problem man. I started playig ranked again and it was quite the experience. It seems like every single match i am much more desperate than when i play player matches and my opponents are much different than what i am generally used to. I got to berserker and stopped but i wanna continue and see how far i get but it seems as though berserker fits me well.

@Grayfox GGS man. That was definately the longest session i have been in. I think it was atleast 4hrs or almost 5 i think. Those shredders got me every single time and you even ended the session with them to boot. And everytime you used Baek i never won even once. Even the simplest gimmicks can be my downfall.

Good games man. Yeah, haha I also didn't play that long with one person. I got slaughtered at first but the longer we played the better I started to understand what is going on, so at the end I didn't suck as bad as last time. I still am confused on Jinpachis fist/hand attacks. Some look similar and I mix up which I can punish and which are safe. I need to go to lab with him and figure this stuff out with help of frame data. Also those stomps are too good, lol.
Nah, you beat my Baek few times. I didn't play him for a long time, I need to remind myself of his more advanced tricks. He is very unsafe generally.

Btw I usually don't have a problem with Alisa and Lili but yours are deadly. Also I couldn't beat your Laws. Definitely go ranked with those characters apart of your mains. You'll go very far. I'm still shocked you play so many characters at that high level. It's totally uncommon.

AAK

What exactly does Law's Rage Art cancel accomplish? All he does is his SS+2,1,2 into Legend Kick... it's not even a launcher.

If there is more to the Rage Art than shown then I take my comments back... but right now, Namco hasn't given me any reason to think otherwise.

GrayFoxPL

What exactly does Law's Rage Art cancel accomplish? All he does is his SS+2,1,2 into Legend Kick... it's not even a launcher.

If there is more to the Rage Art than shown then I take my comments back... but right now, Namco hasn't given me any reason to think otherwise.

I don't know maybe it cancels at stun portion so it's still like a launcher. That way Leo could cancel too and have a manual combo.

Numb

Yeah you need to learn jinpachi to beat his setups that are actually simpler than they seem. Not only is he easy to learn but fun aswell. No matter the situation i will always stomp you with him since it is my fav move of his next to his u+4 knee that also gives you a stomp.

I like laws alot but i have not played them since Tekken 6. Anytime i play a new fighting game i just pick the Bruce Lee character if i have no clue who to pick so Forest law was my first Tekken character back in Tekken 3.
If you were rusty with Baek when we were playing then you can definately destroy me with him if you were in the zone.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah you need to learn jinpachi to beat his setups that are actually simpler than they seem. Not only is he easy to learn but fun aswell. No matter the situation i will always stomp you with him since it is my fav move of his next to his u+4 knee that also gives you a stomp.

I like laws alot but i have not played them since Tekken 6. Anytime i play a new fighting game i just pick the Bruce Lee character if i have no clue who to pick so Forest law was my first Tekken character back in Tekken 3.
If you were rusty with Baek when we were playing then you can definately destroy me with him if you were in the zone.

Yeah I want to learn Pachi someday just to land that sick air throw combo, lol. Best looking air throw eva.

Bruce Lee strong in every fighting game.

Btw Baek has death or almost death combo. But it needs to be timed to catch a linear move that goes forward like a fff kick. It's SSR~B+3~U 3,4,4,4 ws 2,1 Bound, filler, ff+4,3
Hits in the back, unblockable. Generally it kills. I forgot about it, lol.

Numb

Yeah I want to learn Pachi someday just to land that sick air throw combo, lol. Best looking air throw eva.

Bruce Lee strong in every fighting game.

Btw Baek has death or almost death combo. But it needs to be timed to catch a linear move that goes forward like a fff kick. It's SSR~B+3~U 3,4,4,4 ws 2,1 Bound, filler, ff+4,3
Hits in the back, unblockable. Generally it kills. I forgot about it, lol.
I love that pizza flip air throw but it seems to never be viable in any situation so anything else does more damage or wall carries.
I wish he had a death combo too. I would spam that at every opportunity.

GrayFoxPL

Other thing : AAK posted on ATP Knee's direct feed stream of T7. The quality is superb but I can't get it to run more then few seconds.

Will this be available somewhere else? Youtube or download? This is 2 hours of direct feed hd footage of Knee gameplay. I don't want to miss out! :(

AAK

Yeah, it is designed for Korean internet so you need insanely fast internet to watch. Wonkey's twitter posted the mp4 of Hwoarang's Super originally from Knee's stream. I guess you guys should keep a lookout on his twitter if he updates it with anything else interesting from the stream:

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, it is designed for Korean internet so you need insanely fast internet to watch. Wonkey's twitter posted the mp4 of Hwoarang's Super originally from Knee's stream. I guess you guys should keep a lookout on his twitter if he updates it with anything else interesting from the stream:

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey

Damn. I hope he doesn't have an excluzive deal with that site and he'll upload it on his yt channel.

If not I hope some good Korean will download and upload the file for us poor westerners.

Edit: I just sent him a msg on youtube. Hope he won't block me.

AAK

When it comes to presentation... MKX is killing it. The new pre-fight staredowns before the character intro's in the recent stream was just too good:

EMlaD8v.webm

Also, looks like Saint is convinced that T7 will have to be a lot more different than the Location Test. He also said that 7/10 people at the Location Test were not satisfied with T7.

Man, Namco... what the heck are you guys doing? First the EVO CG Trailer, and then the misleading promises at Comic-con, and then pathetic Niconico video at the Location Tests... and then followed by Lucky Chloe, and now with nothing to show and 3 weeks till the Japanese release. Get it together!

AAK

How does this work?

7IQkgzb.gif

It's a Steve unique thing.

Steve will automatically sway back Bryan's punch-parry Mach punch follow up. If you play Bryan and you fight Steve, never do the Punch Parry - mach punch... because Steve gets a free automatic 40 damage launcher. Always go for the gut punch.

And it really is automatic, no button needs to happen from the Steve player. It comes out automatically.

Steve is one of the only characters in Tekken's roster who's extremely unique... having all the kick buttons become sways and weaves. Really hope Shaheen at least brings something unique to the table again.

DEATH™

Memorizing moves isn't the immediate answer, putting those knowledge into practice is. Instead of memorizing, go find someone who will play you while spamming that said moves and punish it. You'll be able to easily ingrain the right punishes on your muscle memory.

You should be fine. Just learn the basic fundamentals, punishing, pick up and learn a few moves and combos, learn when to and when to not use certain moves and eventually it will become second nature for you. Of course you can expand on your knowledge and go from there with experimentation. If you can find a human opponent, that would also help tremendously. I never really had that luxury, but you obviously can try things on them that online opponents won't allow. Honestly, it's about muscle memory, at least for me in most fighters including Tekken. Someone asked me a long time how to do Nina's 10 hit combo out of all things. I couldn't really tell him in full detail for some reason, but I was able to do it on the controller without even thinking about it.

GrayFoxPL

It's a Steve unique thing.

Steve will automatically sway back Bryan's punch-parry Mach punch follow up. If you play Bryan and you fight Steve, never do the Punch Parry - mach punch... because Steve gets a free automatic 40 damage launcher. Always go for the gut punch.

And it really is automatic, no button needs to happen from the Steve player. It comes out automatically.

Steve is one of the only characters in Tekken's roster who's extremely unique... having all the kick buttons become sways and weaves. Really hope Shaheen at least brings something unique to the table again.

It's not automatic, it never was. You gotta hold back during punch parry for Steve to sway back. Reason it comes out so often is Steve players holding back 90% of the time during moves to get into flicker.

Btw it sucks that Steve is totally free to Law's punch parry.

I agree about Steve uniqueness, that's why I love playing him. I'd love more characters created by similar princible. Now "unique"=L.Chloe.

sasuke_91

How does this work?

7IQkgzb.gif
As AAK and GrayFoxPL already stated, Steve's the only one who can evade that attack. He can launch his opponent after that by pressing 2. Deals a ton of damage.

When I first saw Steve in T4 I thought he was the weirdest character ever. Kicks being replaced by sways seemed dumb to me. I would have never imagined that he would become one of my favourite characters.
And oh wow, uf+1 works like wonders against Anna-players. I never go into close combat with Anna or Nina, so I just space out and close in with uf+1. If it hits I'll pin her down with Steve's mixups.

King's giant swing is a 1 throw, but if I miss the throw break there's still a way to reduce the damage, but how? One way would be Tag crash, but I don't know what to press if my second character doesn't have rage. 2?

Doomshine

King's giant swing is a 1 throw, but if I miss the throw break there's still a way to reduce the damage, but how? One way would be Tag crash, but I don't know what to press if my second character doesn't have rage. 2?

It's just like a tech roll, so 1 or 2. I usually just mash 1 and 2.

Very happy everyone filled a 16 man bracket, even if there were several DQ's. Looking to push it to a 32 man bracket for next week, but will need to find a different time to insure that it doesn't overlap ATP Live. So I am all ears to suggestions, even for a day change if need be. Will also be returning to Challonge for the brackets. Sorry again for the XFire Test.

Fingers To Fight Tag 2 Online Tournament 4
Full Results
1st. RockStarr93
2nd. LuisMinjarez87
3rd. Mak_nificent
3rd. Setnomessej
4th. ivinyl
4th. hq32ol
4th. Masang
4th. Devil_Vakarian
5th. SonicZangetsu
5th. StarFromHK