• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Reading the thread in Gaming right now and people are really hyped for Tekken now :D

Yeah I noticed this too. Harada have done well with this update, and my hype is at maximum again.

I still don't like Akuma though ump. If we get more Street Fighter characters, then give me Sean or Poison.

Btw, Ling have never looked better, Bryan looks like a sick mofo and Lili is majestic. Now give us Nina, Lei and Lee.

Shun

Not sure what to say, but i'm hyped.

It looks gorgeous, it has new costumes, Akuma is going to pull in a ton of SF players. Sick.

(Still no console announcement though? Sigh. )

Tekken 7 Fated Retribution isn't even done and hasn't even had location tests yet. A console release isn't even for months if not a year.

Be glad that you are getting this version like past Tekken game updates and not the vanilla mess that it launched as.

I'm cautious as to how many players it will bring in because the gameplay is much different. Learning the game is a new story.

Gundam is extremely popular yet the players do not overlap always into other games.

This will definitely get more people interested, but getting them interested in the gameplay is a different story.

Tekken 7 Fated Retribution isn't even done and hasn't even had location tests yet. A console release isn't even for months if not a year.

Be glad that you are getting this version like past Tekken game updates and not the vanilla mess that it launched as.

I know, and i hate that outdated model. Asia will have been playing it for 2 years when we finally get our hands on it.

It's lovely that we're getting the bestest version, sure. It's -not- great we have to wait so long. Personally, i'd surely have bought console vanilla and then the upgrade two years later. I'd complain about it, but i'd rather complain and play the game than complain and sit here waiting.

Edit: So anyone else think Capcom will add Akuma to SF5 to coincide with T7FR release in 2017?~

Pachimari

It will take place between December 16 and January 13 according to Flying Wonkey.

Z6PRnvt.jpg

I'm in love with this Leo Kliesen! But what's up with the horrible film grain on all of the screenshots.

ZvVDGFn.jpg

sasuke_91

Btw, Ling have never looked better, Bryan looks like a sick mofo and Lili is majestic. Now give us Nina, Lei and Lee.
I agree! Ling looks really good and Lili's dress also looks good on her.
Bryan looks sick! Really suits his character.

The wait is going to be really hard now more than ever :/

Shun

I know, and i hate that outdated model. Asia will have been playing it for 2 years when we finally get our hands on it.

It's lovely that we're getting the bestest version, sure. It's -not- great we have to wait so long. Personally, i'd surely have bought console vanilla and then the upgrade two years later. I'd complain about it, but i'd rather complain and play the game than complain and sit here waiting.

I disagree and I think the current model is fine for what it is. This update stuff costs money and revenue and location test data is extremely useful in balancing a game.

The delay doesn't stop people like Jimmy and Bronson Tran doing relatively well with the game.

I would think there is more backlash with the refresh and less money made.

Anyway that's a different discussion for another time, here's a poster.

CWBGASTU8AAbiLg.jpg:orig

I disagree and I think the current model is fine for what it is. This update stuff costs money and revenue and location test data is extremely useful in balancing a game.
The delay doesn't stop people like Jimmy and Bronson Tran doing relatively well with the game.
I would think there is more backlash with the refresh and less money made.

The EU players sure did great last night. I'm sure there's nothing holding them back =/

I mean i -understand- where they're coming from. Vanilla arcade makes them money to pay for updated/console version. Console version they want the best it can be so it'll make a real splash. I'm sure the update will be better received than vanilla would have been, yeah.

I might do the same in their position.

But it's still a tradeoff, and i don't have to be happy about having to wait so long while Asia can play it. And i'm not.

But it sure does look sick. Despite my complaining, i'm damn pleased about the update. Finally costume upgrades~

Nuszka

They didn't say anything about the costumes, but Claudio and Kat still have their regular outfits.

Think we got a redesign of old characters that didn't get it before, for example Lars got one in vanilla T7 and still looks the same now. Would expect for newcomers to look the same in FR.

sasuke_91

I still think that Tekken: VR would have been a better choice since the game is going to be compatible with Playstation VR :p

Now that a lot of characters got new defaults, I just don't know what that shit about legacy appearance was supposed to mean.

AAK

Bryan just looks so boss. The whole art direction of his new attire is really bringing back to Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 90's aesthetic. Ling Xiaoyu having a proper new variant of her Chinese garb that's properly designed is also very welcoming.

All they gotta do is maintain that aesthetic and graphical detail with whatever customs they're gonna be introducing from here on out and it'll be A-OK.

Akuma and the other SF guys don't do shotokan, they do Anasatsuken, or whatever, made up karate #45.

And if Masu Oyama is one of Ryu's inspirations, then it would be Kyokushin and not Shotokan.

Edit: the game is Fated Retribution, not too far off from my Spousal Retribution.

My main point is that stuff like a Hurricane kick where Akuma is levitating in a stationary way kicking in a circle where the hit animation on Heihachi has him teleporting back and forth behind Akuma isn't a good look in the context of a 3D game. Just something that could at least be mocapped in a certain way or represented in a traditional Karate way.

AZUMIKE

Amazing how one big announcement can adjust the hype meter. Nice work Tekken Team. Keep cooking this title until its prime and ready to be served!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm meeting with Harada and Michael in a few days to talk about the future. Post some stuff and I'll relay what I can.

Night all. Hope you enjoyed the day.

Night_Knight

Unconfirmed Member
Is Akuma the only character coming over from SF? What does this mean for TxSF? Also, when can we expect a console release?
Thanks Markman.

Pachimari

I'm meeting with Harada and Michael in a few days to talk about the future. Post some stuff and I'll relay what I can.

01) Do they plan to incorporate more Street Fighter characters?
02) Is the 35 character roster still ideal now that you're incorporating Street Fighter character/s?
03) Will the fans like Nina's and Lei's reveal?

Ask him how they're going about balancing for fireballs and jump-ins and other streetfightery-isms. Would love to hear any details on that kinda stuff.

DEATH™

01) Do they plan to incorporate more Street Fighter characters?
02) Is the 35 character roster still ideal now that you're incorporating Street Fighter character/s?
03) Will the fans like Nina's and Lei's reveal?

To followup this questions

2. I feel like at this point Tekken can't have a roster lower than T6. Too many chars to leave behind. Mark please let Harada change his mind about less the 40 roster.

3. I really wanna ask how they will incorporate grounded chars like Capos and Lei without the possible matchup problems. Especially with Capos now that they cannot sidestep and the only way they can dodge a fireball was the ground stance, which they would have a hard time closing in.

Anyways, the change in Tekken sidestep turned into a full pledged SF jump now. They made it so its gonna dodge fireballs but completely risky and much more susceptible to antiair, o I mean homing.

Sayah

566BF9BC3C6E11002C

Look at the threads at the bottom of her shawl skirt thing. I mean damn.

Just some feedback and suggestions.

1. The stages look fantastic. I love the new gritty look for the dojo and construction site stages. Please keep the jungle stage colorful though.

2. In vanilla T7, the background music stops every time a rage art connects. I hope that's no longer the case. The music needs to keep running.

3. Can we expect changes to new characters as well? Particularly, we all know Katarina and Devil Kazumi's modeling could be much better. Devil Kazumi's flame wings really do look artificial in vanilla T7. And Katarina's hair........

GrayFoxPL

Hi guys. Woke up half an hour ago. Thought I was gonna die, my weak ass heart can't handle such strain. 24 hours glued to monitor. Crazy stressful, on edge matches. Too much. I can only blame myself though. Moron.

Crazy night that was.

1.Will there be more SF characters in T7:FR?

2.Is TxSF scrapped and incorporated into T7 or T7:FR is a prelude to TxSF?

3.Any new systems for Tekken characters?

To be honest I don't really like Akuma but I'd love to see Ken, Guile and Cody in this.

DEATH™;188946707 said:
To followup this questions

2. I feel like at this point Tekken can't have a roster lower than T6. Too many chars to leave behind. Mark please let Harada change his mind about less the 40 roster.

3. I really wanna ask how they will incorporate grounded chars like Capos and Lei without the possible matchup problems. Especially with Capos now that they cannot sidestep and the only way they can dodge a fireball was the ground stance, which they would have a hard time closing in.

Anyways, the change in Tekken sidestep turned into a full pledged SF jump now. They made it so its gonna dodge fireballs but completely risky and much more susceptible to antiair, o I mean homing.

NOOOOOO

DEATH™

Sorry but, it is what it is. Just look at the T7 thread, they are asking for MIGUEL. Not that Miguel was a bad char, but he definitely wont be in on a 38 char roster especially with SF chars on it.

45+ or bust. In fact I'm being generous with this. Tekken = KOF now roster wise.

Also mark, make TTT2 port as a game mode for T7, kinda like T5 has T1, T2 and T3 on it.

GrayFoxPL

Also, Marky, can we get a spark filter?

I liked seeing more sparks on the screen during the loc tests but they unfortunately toned that down since some people complained.

It wasn't complains, they even said ppl didn't complain. The engine couldn't handle it then. 30fps slowdown and shit. Motion blur probably slows it down too and it's also out. Not like people bitched on motion blur and so it's out.

They are optimizing this shit though, new graphics, models, lightning looks way better now.

They'll probably can crank it up even more given more time and workforce.

CF7z97c.gif

J8sXLLK.gif

Wonder if "Defy your destiny" is aimed at Kaz or just a slogan.

DEATH™;188948747 said:
Sorry but, it is what it is. Just look at the T7 thread, they are asking for MIGUEL. Not that Miguel was a bad char, but he definitely wont be in on a 38 char roster especially with SF chars on it.

45+ or bust. In fact I'm being generous with this. Tekken = KOF now roster wise.

Also mark, make TTT2 port as a game mode for T7, kinda like T5 has T1, T2 and T3 on it.

You do realize you don't have to give the people everything. I think the games need a paired down roster. 30 characters to 35 is fine.

GrayFoxPL

qTbh1hf.gif

Poor Heihachi is barely dodging it.

Wonder if the sidestep nerf was for just this purpose all this time.

Sidestepping fireballs on reaction at mid-close range will probably be very hard/impossible understandably.

DEATH™

You do realize you don't have to give the people everything. I think the games need a paired down roster. 30 characters to 35 is fine.

Even if you dont give them everything, it will still break into 40+ roster... Thats why I'm being generous about it. Do you think the 30+ roster space right now will even have a space for a couple of more tekken staples? And then you gonna add SF chars?

Not gonna happen now man... 45+ minus moku and clones or bust

Manbig

T7 oki is about crappy grouded hit and hop over from DR is nothing to be proud about. Awful "mechanic". Fishing for floats was the actual fun and unpredictable Tekken oki that is gone.

The grounded hits were taking off like a throws worth of damage. The float wasn't something that you saw very often, if at all in high level matches, and usually it was only off of very situational set ups, or just set ups that capitalized on ignorance.

This new standardized form of oki cuts all of the bullshit and gets to the point. You set your shit up, and either it connects, or it doesn't. No more of the stupid ass whiffing fast mids that can float, but also recovery incredibly fast, so the person on the ground is just sitting there waiting for the grounded hit so they can tech. That shit was dumb as hell and needed to go away a long time ago.

Doomshine

We see Akuma doing SF looking things like EX moves, jump-ins and possibly even links... are they exclusive to him?

DEATH™

The grounded hits were taking off like a throws worth of damage. The float wasn't something that you saw very often, if at all in high level matches, and usually it was only off of very situational set ups, or just set ups that capitalized on ignorance.

This new standardized form of oki cuts all of the bullshit and gets to the point. You set your shit up, and either it connects, or it doesn't. No more of the stupid ass whiffing fast mids that can float, but also recovery incredibly fast, so the person on the ground is just sitting there waiting for the grounded hit so they can tech. That shit was dumb as hell and needed to go away a long time ago.

This is the only gripe of me on current oki, like Changs doing elbow all day. The only answer for that is toe kicks which isnt an currently (TTT2 wise) optimal.

But the concept of having a all in oki option that was risky but rewards with greater damage should still be there (King df43 can get launched for example). T7 do not have that, and that iswhat makes tekken oki awesome.

Fraeon

But on the other hand, I kind of liked how dangerous the okizeme in Tekken is. Tekken 7 kind of neuters it, which is fine I guess but also makes the whole thing seem more turn-based than it should i.e. "I got my combo, so now's your turn". The sidestep nerf kind of works to that end as well.

Deps

The update is sick, tell Harader great job. Things I'm hoping for/want to see.

1. Add an option to hide customs in the console version.
2. Buff movement pleeeeease.
3. Release the game sooner rather than later. As sick as this whole announcement is, in 2+ years, most people won't care.
4. And most importantly, keep the roster small. Harada has said he wants T7 to be easier to pick up and for the roster to be <40 characters, which is perfect. If the game comes out in the west with a huge roster, most competitive players won't bother w/T7.

Ruehl

Neo Member

Thank you so much for an awesome stream last night! So excited that the expansion was finally announced. I look forward to seeing the changes made from T7.0 -> T7:FR.

Please ask Harada & Michael when we can all expect this expansion to be updated in arcades and also their plans for the rest of the character roster. Thank you!
*Nina Williams with a new costume is greatly desired!* &#128521;

DEATH™

The update is sick, tell Harader great job. Things I'm hoping for/want to see.

1. Add an option to hide customs in the console version.
2. Buff movement pleeeeease.
3. Release the game sooner rather than later. As sick as this whole announcement is, in 2+ years, most people won't care.
4. And most importantly, keep the roster small. Harada has said he wants T7 to be easier to pick up and for the roster to be <40 characters, which is perfect. If the game comes out in the west with a huge roster, most competitive players won't bother w/T7.

T7 movement cant be buff more than what it is currently. Sidesteps = SF jumps now. We have to commit on the sidestep or get antiaired.

Sayah

Thanks for the gifs grayfox.
It wasn't complains, they even said ppl didn't complain. The engine couldn't handle it then. 30fps slowdown and shit. Motion blur probably slows it down too and it's also out. Not like people bitched on motion blur and so it's out.

They are optimizing this shit though, new graphics, models, lightning looks way better now.

They'll probably can crank it up even more given more time and workforce.

Wonder if "Defy your destiny" is aimed at Kaz or just a slogan.

Makes sense I suppose.

I tried my hand at Photoshop.

giphy.gif

Deps

DEATH™;188953280 said:
T7 movement cant be buff more than what it is currently. Sidesteps = SF jumps now. We have to commit on the sidestep or get antiaired.

Akuma is 1 character, everyone else still functions the same. While I hope his fb is good and viable, keeping sidestep shitty just for 1 character doesn't make sense. There's also a lot of ways they could make Akuma good+have good sidesteps. If his fireball is fast and forces movement, that's still good.

DEATH™

Akuma is 1 character, everyone else still functions the same. While I hope his fb is good and viable, keeping sidestep shitty just for 1 character doesn't make sense. There's also a lot of ways they could make Akuma good+have good sidesteps. If his fireball is fast and forces movement, that's still good.

1. I expect this isnt just 1 char, but a taste of what TxSF is.

2. The problem isnt the fireball being fast, but how akuma recovers after. If regular SS has to be kept and Akuma keeps the slow recovery thats enoughed to be punished with even jabs, fireballs will be useless/too unsafe for risks, regardless of speed of fireball. But if you make it fast enough to recover to atleasta dodging character can still get frame advantage, it recovers way too fast that its waaay to hard to get in if you are bit farther from dash range.

But on the other hand, I kind of liked how dangerous the okizeme in Tekken is. Tekken 7 kind of neuters it, which is fine I guess but also makes the whole thing seem more turn-based than it should i.e. "I got my combo, so now's your turn". The sidestep nerf kind of works to that end as well.

Not really, it just requires you to know your options. Looking at the tournament there were plenty of oki options where it was still the attackers "turn". Oki is still dangerous, just not unnecessarily overt.

joeblow

Nice work at the tourney with Aris. I really enjoyed the show, and the new trailer looks fantastic.

My suggestion to relay to the Tekken team might help deal with the various complaints some people have about player designed outfits. I don't care too much one way or the other, but when the console version comes out, allow a us to disable the online opponent's custom costume if we want.

This way, people have the option to force either default outfits *or* their own custom character designs on who they are fighting. Of course you would still allow the player to view their own "glorious" creations on themselves, so overall there won't be too much for certain types of gamers to fuss about when it comes to male bikini designs holding purple balloons while wearing waffle hats.

GrayFoxPL

"Standardized" - I hate that word. You can exchange it with "dull". If refloat attempts worked 100% of the time it would be a broken mechanic. The point is working for the reward for making them happen. And it was awesome, exciting part of the game that it's gone.

T7 has new dumb looking yoga wakeup animations from every postion that turn character to face opponent really quickly making backturned wakeup setups almost impossible. I say almost because the dumb hopping over opponent into crouch jab is back in full force, and that's really poor and stupid looking exchange for all oki options that were established before.

I rather have bt setups from earlier on FUFA or FDFT opponent that doesn't get up like a mummy.

I said it before, T7 oki may impress a VF player at most. Doesn't impress me. Not only Tekken 7 oki doesn't really anything you couldn't do before, but earlier you could do it better and do more to harras opponent. I don't give a shit for crybabies who couldn't bother to learn to get up properly.

Unless someone gets really hot when Devil Jin does the amazing uf+4 dash forward b+4 "oki" in T7. Oh yes that's new and so fun to watch....Billion times. Now Kaz can do it too with FC df+3+4 into b+4 - amazing looking shit, someone give them a medal.

Really this is the shit people take over float setups that utilize effort and skill?

Dereck

I agree with the rest of the thread on this, it's evident that the customization isn't going to change.

Please consider allowing people to disable custom outfits in any aspect of the game, arcade mode, ghost battle, time attack, team battle, survival mode, online, just so people won't have to look at it. It's a good way to please both crowds.

Sayah

Please consider allowing people to disable custom outfits in any aspect of the game, arcade mode, ghost battle, time attack, team battle, survival mode, online, just so people won't have to look at it. It's a good way to please both crowds.

This is Priority #1.
But I keep doubting it'll happen because stuff like Bryan's gun and giant mallets have an impact on actual gameplay and aren't just a decorative accessory.

Also, we still need an actual black character.
Akuma doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom