• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

This is Priority #1.
But I keep doubting it'll happen because stuff like Bryan's gun and giant mallets have an impact on actual gameplay and aren't just a decorative accessory.
That just breaks down the whole thing, I don't have a suggestion to rectify that.

Sayah

That just breaks down the whole thing, I don't have a suggestion to rectify that.

Yeah, if the character has in-game animations where he/she is planting flowers and using wands and shit, there'll be no way to really give us the option to disable customs unless they just get rid of these type of gameplay impacting items.......or only show those items on a character while disabling the rest.

I mean Nobi's custom in yesterday's tournament made me want to barf. Such a hideous combination of colors and items.

Dereck

Maybe online could disable the use of accessories, so then they just become props.

People could make player match lobbies where they could activate or deactivate "accessory use".

Accessories are disabled in rank matches for example.

Doomshine

Oh yes that's new and so fun to watch....Billion times.
To be fair, I don't think a lot of people found seeing a juggle a billion times that fun either. At least the T7 oki is quick and easy to understand.

Floats seem to come into play when people are baiting and punishing the improved spring kicks. When was the last you saw that many spring kicks in high level Tekken?

Sayah

Maybe online could disable the use of accessories, so then they just become props.

People could make player match lobbies where they could activate or deactivate "accessory use".

Accessories are disabled in rank matches for example.

That would work where you have the item attached and can see it on the person but its use is automatically disabled for rank matches.
Please Namco.

Manbig

But on the other hand, I kind of liked how dangerous the okizeme in Tekken is. Tekken 7 kind of neuters it, which is fine I guess but also makes the whole thing seem more turn-based than it should i.e. "I got my combo, so now's your turn". The sidestep nerf kind of works to that end as well.

I agree with the sidestep nerf giving it that feeling, but I strongly disagree with the oki changes doing that. Especially when we constantly see odd angle set ups where people land Kaz/DJ b4 5 times in a row on oki.

DEATH™;188951849 said:
But the concept of having a all in oki option that was risky but rewards with greater damage should still be there (King df43 can get launched for example). T7 do not have that, and that iswhat makes tekken oki awesome.

That is a fair point.

The only things that I can really say to that are that people still need to figure some things out in training mode. Also, that doesn't necessarily have to exist when the whole point of oki is that the attacker has the strong advantage. Lastly, not every character has access to a fast grounded hitting mid for oki. Dragunov, for example, only really has f,f4, which is very slow, so you might go for something like b1+2 on oki, which Nobi actually did use once or twice. When a character has to use those sorts of options, they'll still be susceptible to wake up lows, namely FDFT low for juggle starter. So it's still an option, just one you will see a lot less often. Personally, I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. The person on the defensive should have options and be rewarded for guessing right. I just really don't feel that the reward should be as great as a juggle.

My suggestion to relay to the Tekken team might help deal with the various complaints some people have about player designed outfits. I don't care too much one way or the other, but when the console version comes out, allow a us to disable the online opponent's custom costume if we want.

This way, people have the option to force either default outfits *or* their own custom character designs on who they are fighting. Of course you would still allow the player to view their own "glorious" creations on themselves, so overall there won't be too much for certain types of gamers to fuss about when it comes to male bikini designs holding purple balloons while wearing waffle hats.

Add my vote in for this change too please. I lose count of the amount of times people see me play Tekken, whether it's at my place when a friend or relative comes through, or even on the damn train when I'm playing ghost battle on my Vita/PSP, people have asked me about the dumb ass looking customizations. It just makes the game look so crappy for viewers.

GrayFoxPL

To be fair, I don't think a lot of people found seeing a juggle a billion times that fun either. At least the T7 is quick and easy to understand.

Floats seem to come into play when people are baiting and punishing the improved spring kicks. When was the last you saw that many spring kicks in high level Tekken?

You couldn't float 100% of the time. It was actually a success not formality.

I hate the spring kicks, always have. Looks like 3rd grade animation from something like Toshinden 3. They should delete it and start again not make it even more mandatory.

I loved when in Tekken 2 Lei first had the d+3+4 Chinese getup, great animation. Later it was made different, Feng got new one too. They are not perfect but infinitely better then: "Oh look he's flying feet towards without any momentum at all!"

GrayFoxPL

Nice work at the tourney with Aris. I really enjoyed the show, and the new trailer looks fantastic.

My suggestion to relay to the Tekken team might help deal with the various complaints some people have about player designed outfits. I don't care too much one way or the other, but when the console version comes out, allow a us to disable the online opponent's custom costume if we want.

This way, people have the option to force either default outfits *or* their own custom character designs on who they are fighting. Of course you would still allow the player to view their own "glorious" creations on themselves, so overall there won't be too much for certain types of gamers to fuss about when it comes to male bikini designs holding purple balloons while wearing waffle hats.

Count me in, but like others pointed out earlier items that do something withing gameplay can't be "cut out" for another player.

But yeah, as long as I can avoid Help Me Paul outfits I'm in.

Manbig

"Standardized" - I hate that word. You can exchange it with "dull". If refloat attempts worked 100% of the time it would be a broken mechanic. The point is working for the reward for making them happen. And it was awesome, exciting part of the game that it's gone.

T7 has new dumb looking yoga wakeup animations from every postion that turn character to face opponent really quickly making backturned wakeup setups almost impossible. I say almost because the dumb hopping over opponent into crouch jab is back in full force, and that's really poor and stupid looking exchange for all oki options that were established before.

I rather have bt setups from earlier on FUFA or FDFT opponent that doesn't get up like a mummy.

I said it before, T7 oki may impress a VF player at most. Doesn't impress me. Not only Tekken 7 oki doesn't really anything you couldn't do before, but earlier you could do it better and do more to harras opponent. I don't give a shit for crybabies who couldn't bother to learn to get up properly.

Unless someone gets really hot when Devil Jin does the amazing uf+4 dash forward b+4 "oki" in T7. Oh yes that's new and so fun to watch....Billion times. Now Kaz can do it too with FC df+3+4 into b+4 - amazing looking shit, someone give them a medal.

Really this is the shit people take over float setups that utilize effort and skill?

Not too far off from what you saw in the older games honestly. Like I said, you didn't see floats very often in tournament play. It only seen a lot when people would go online for scrub busting. Then you'd get stupid shit like this happening. There is zero reason to fall for that float, because Dragunov doesn't have a dangerous option to catch you for teching. The only reason you would fall for that is because of either pure ignorance to simple reset mechanics, or your controller is broken.

What you would see in a high level match is the opponent teching and then Dragunov going for more straight forward options, like a dash up into b1+2, or d2. You know, pretty much exactly what we see now in Tekken 7.

The only time the floats were a lot more of a threat, were in specific set ups, like off if Drag's 1+2 command grab. Yes, that kind of thing is gone, but I, and I'd wager most people, have zero problem with that stuff being gone, and claiming that kind of thing being gone is somehow 'neutered oki" is ridiculous hyperbole.

Fact is, people still have options, people still have work to do to figure out more options, and there's an expansion coming out that might change this stuff even further, so this whining about "BAWWWWW ZERO OKI!" that continues on to this day from some of you is even more ridiculous sounding than it was when these changes were first announced. It's like you can only speak in black and white overblown statements and cannot accept a middle ground of any sort. It's still Tekken style oki people.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Haven't been in here for awhile. Announcement was hype as fuck and I'm glad more people are willing to check out T7 when it comes out.

Now, time to watch the stream I missed yesterday. ;_;

I agree with the rest of the thread on this, it's evident that the customization isn't going to change.

Please consider allowing people to disable custom outfits in any aspect of the game, arcade mode, ghost battle, time attack, team battle, survival mode, online, just so people won't have to look at it. It's a good way to please both crowds.

cc2travmhgsikrm2qlqk.jpg

I'm with Boutdown. We can have the best of both worlds and everyone wins. I'm getting up to speed on all this new news. I'll post my thoughts after I digest this megaton.

sasuke_91

I'm meeting with Harada and Michael in a few days to talk about the future. Post some stuff and I'll relay what I can.

Night all. Hope you enjoyed the day.

Trailer was hype!

Just 2 questions:
- How many SF characters are planned in T7 and what does that mean for Tekken x Street Fighter?
- And also the thing with the costumes. Are there going to be options added? More unique costumes in the future?

I don't even know if you'll get a proper answer (or any answer at all) for questions like these.

566BF9BC3C6E11002C

Look at the threads at the bottom of her shawl skirt thing. I mean damn.

Cloth physics in the trailer were amazing and I mean... just look at her left leg!

GrayFoxPL

"Like I said, you didn't see floats very often in tournament play. "

If it happened very often it wouldn't be very exciting or interesting now would it?
Like everything in life. What happens very often is guaranteed whacking every grounded opponent with b+4 by kaz, dj, shaheen, katarina and God knows who else. And if that's fun, then from my side - fuck that shit.

Besides by using the phrase: "(not)very often" you admit it happens often enough to matter.

I never said ZERO OKI, stop putting that in my mouth because it's annoying. I keep saying it's shit oki compared to earlier but you can't seem to handle that and bizarrely read as: "T7 has no oki" - what the fuck is this?

"BAWWWWW ZERO OKI!" that continues on to this day from some of you "
- and this is not black and white overblown statement you're accusing others off? Stop making shit up.

"I'd wager most people, have zero problem with that stuff being gone, and claiming that kind of thing being gone is somehow 'neutered oki" is ridiculous hyperbole."

I'd wager for no one other then myself. If you are so sure then ask everyone if they have zero problem with stuff being gone. My opinion is my own and I don't shove it as universal truth.

Besides You very well know what I mean when I say T7 doesn't have oki options Tekken had before. And You also know I'm bitching about options Tekken 7 is missing not that has no option at all. Ironically you're hyper-bolling about shit I'm saying, really.

It's just all this is the argument play where you annoy me and I annoy you in return. Let's annoy ourselves to death like Mishimas.

Yes people have options in T7, I'm saying they don't have all the options they had before. For me that's shit. If that's somehow hyperbole, black and white overblown statement, then fine. I'm not changing my mind because people don't like it.

Yes, T7:FR might change everything so why you stick current argument to that future upgrade? Like "oki whining" of current playable T7 somehow transfers to a future T7:FR that neither You nor I know nothing about gameplay wise yet. It could be a new game as far as I know.

If they "un-dull" oki, more power to me. :D

Dereck

Another thing that I did not pick up before people in the stream mentioned it:

Tekken 7 is re-using character artwork from Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and I think people find a problem with this because for example, Law's art is using a costume that isn't even in the game.

Some people also did not seem to like how the character art at the loading screen won't match each other. Example, Katarina using the 3D render and the other guy using a drawing.

Numb

Guess who got 1st place in his tourny? Me!
win.png

Yeah baby
1302123272941201222.gif

All these Smash players trying to steal my prize
5I5s8.png
.(Not gonna give up those gamestop credits
mjcry1.png
easy ) And some killers outta nowhere making me lose my first match and freaking me out
whoo.png
. But beat their ass later. Today was a good day for Tekken.

GrayFoxPL

Another thing that I did not pick up before people in the stream mentioned it:

Tekken 7 is re-using character artwork from Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and I think people find a problem with this because for example, Law's art is using a costume that isn't even in the game.

Some people also did not seem to like how the character art at the loading screen won't match each other. Example, Katarina using the 3D render and the other guy using a drawing.

The artwork in Tag2 often didn't match Tag2. Haha.

Like Kaz has long coat in art and you can't customize him like that at all. Bunch of others too.

I don't know why they did it. Maybe more customs were planned but they dropped it.

GrayFoxPL

win.png

Yeah baby
1302123272941201222.gif

5I5s8.png
mjcry1.png
easy ) And some killers outta nowhere making me lose my first match and freaking me out
whoo.png

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Congrats!

xsVPXkf.gif

What opponent did you destroy in the final battle?

Numb

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Congrats!

xsVPXkf.gif

What opponent did you destroy in the final battle?

Dude i sent to losers came back and got lucky since the dude he elimanated was new and i didn't know how to fight him.
There was no reset.
I used Mokujin and Jinpachi all the way cos i'm crazy like that ;_;

Dereck

The artwork in Tag2 often didn't match Tag2. Haha.

Like Kaz has long coat in art and you can't customize him like that at all. Bunch of others too.

I don't know why they did it. Maybe more customs were planned but they dropped it.
I guess this kind of thing is a little messy. The drawings used in the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 loading screens, sometimes had little bits of white around the edges of them. In 720P that kind of stuff is easy to notice.

GrayFoxPL

Dude i sent to losers came back and got lucky since the dude he elimanated was new and i didn't know how to fight him.
There was no reset.
I used Mokujin and Jinpachi all the way cos i'm crazy like that ;_;

No, no I know who you used, haha. Who you were fighting against, the characters. Someone give you trouble?

Don't tell me you murdered everyone from the go?

FBI is reading this now.

AAK

I'm meeting with Harada and Michael in a few days to talk about the future. Post some stuff and I'll relay what I can.

Night all. Hope you enjoyed the day.

I'll try to be as constructive as I can:

1. Tell them a HUGE thank you for finally showcasing brand new designs for theTekken characters that have well crafted balance between glamour and dignity while still maintaining the individualistic demeanor of that said character. Thank you SO MUCH for not making the characters clothed as random wizards or anime armor with no context.

2. Tekken 7 vanilla has some really bad loading times and many mid match stutters. Hopefully this can be rectified in the future. The frontrunner of all the fighting games out now is by far Dead or Alive which has pretty good loading times and even has instant loads when you rematch in a different stage along with different outfits. That should be the benchmark to strive for.

3. For the console version please give everyone an option of doing a rematch with a new stage on random select rather than repeatedly going back to the character select screen to simply change the stage even after wanting the same character. For the people who play the game offline as much as us it would save sooooo much time.

4. Echoing the disabling of troll customs on the system I'm using or better yet have a "custom ban" feature on everyone's option settings where they can block only certain customs and colors that are obtusely obnoxious while the rest can display no problem.

5. All that's left is the final touches in the presentation in regards to the animation during combat. There needs to be more fluent in-between animation transitions in the current build particularly for the new wake-up/okizeme gameplay. Currently if someone is getting hit while doing the new backroll or quick get up they teleport to a grounded state which breaks the immersion and ruins the presentation. Something that transitions would look so much better. Same thing with the new flip-over property with a lot of moves like DJin/Kaz's b+4, Paul's d/b+2 that still flips over even when the opponent is downed which doesn't really make a lot of sense. AND THE BIGGEST offence is the screw attack tail spin animation on backturned opponents that also looks pretty ugly from a rigid body perspective. Just those minor things that nudge away at the game's presentation.

Thanks again and that trailer was one of best marketing efforts I've seen in fighting games yet. Showing all those new things finally made Tekken marketable again to the public.

Numb

No, no I know who you used, haha. Who you were fighting against, the characters. Someone give you trouble?

Don't tell me you murdered everyone from the go?

FBI is reading this now.

There is this Kings player that beat me my first match and freaked me. Very good movement and spacing and plays the opposite of me but my shenanigans are my most powerful tools. They should have banned Mokujin lol
Then there is the grandfinals guys with Drag and Leo. Very dangerous and poke heavy and finally one of the new guys rocking Jins and doing crazy combos in electrics. He seemed good but never had the chance.

Also Mark you done good brother
LOOKING FORWARD FOR THE FUTURE!

AAK

win.png

Yeah baby
1302123272941201222.gif

5I5s8.png
mjcry1.png
whoo.png

gL5aKqN.gif

Dereck

Allow us the ability to pause, rewind, and fast forward in replays as well please.

Also allow us the option to "not" save replays.

win.png

Yeah baby
1302123272941201222.gif

5I5s8.png
mjcry1.png
whoo.png
McTsTuR.gif

Numb

The satsu no hado gave me all the strength i needed...and that big ass burger i took there lol
I ain't lying. I would like Rugal to be in more than Akuma. Shin Rugal maybe

GrayFoxPL

I'll try to be as constructive as I can:

1. Tell them a HUGE thank you for finally showcasing brand new designs for theTekken characters that have well crafted balance between glamour and dignity while still maintaining the individualistic demeanor of that said character. Thank you SO MUCH for not making the characters clothed as random wizards or anime armor with no context.

2. Tekken 7 vanilla has some really bad loading times and many mid match stutters. Hopefully this can be rectified in the future. The frontrunner of all the fighting games out now is by far Dead or Alive which has pretty good loading times and even has instant loads when you rematch in a different stage along with different outfits. That should be the benchmark to strive for.

3. For the console version please give everyone an option of doing a rematch with a new stage on random select rather than repeatedly going back to the character select screen to simply change the stage even after wanting the same character. For the people who play the game offline as much as us it would save sooooo much time.

4. Echoing the disabling of troll customs on the system I'm using or better yet have a "custom ban" feature on everyone's option settings where they can block only certain customs and colors that are obtusely obnoxious while the rest can display no problem.

5. All that's left is the final touches in the presentation in regards to the animation during combat. There needs to be more fluent in-between animation transitions in the current build particularly for the new wake-up/okizeme gameplay. Currently if someone is getting hit while doing the new backroll or quick get up they teleport to a grounded state which breaks the immersion and ruins the presentation. Something that transitions would look so much better. Same thing with the new flip-over property with a lot of moves like DJin/Kaz's b+4, Paul's d/b+2 that still flips over even when the opponent is downed which doesn't really make a lot of sense. AND THE BIGGEST offence is the screw attack tail spin animation on backturned opponents that also looks pretty ugly from a rigid body perspective. Just those minor things that nudge away at the game's presentation.

Thanks again and that trailer was one of best marketing efforts I've seen in fighting games yet. Showing all those new things finally made Tekken marketable again to the public.

Sound stuff, I sign in on this too.

The bolded part wording made me giggle. Dat dignity.

lXttJIp.gif

There is this Kings player that beat me my first match and freaked me. Very good movement and spacing and plays the opposite of me but my shenanigans are my most powerful tools. They should have banned Mokujin lol
Then there is the grandfinals guys with Drag and Leo. Very dangerous and poke heavy and finally one of the new guys rocking Jins and doing crazy combos in electrics. He seemed good but never had the chance.

Also Mark you done good brother
LOOKING FORWARD FOR THE FUTURE!

2kt8MY8.gif

Noice job!

AAK

So, here are the answers to the competition:

1) Will the T7:?R footage show any re-animated moves for the current cast or any added cast member? (1 point)

None - None of the moves shown were re-animated

2) How many new characters (not in T7 vanilla) will be shown in the T7:?R footage? (2 points)

1 New character

3) Based on your answer for Question 2, who are new characters? Give the name if it's a returning character, just say brand new character if it's that. (1 point for each correct answer)

Brand New Character

4) Will there be any new mechanics shown in the T7:?R footage? (1 point)
Bonus: Guess the number of new mechanics. (2 points)

No new mechanics shown :(

5) Will the T7:?R footage show any new wake-up options not in T7? (1 point)

No new wakeup options shown

6) Will there be a unique BT Tail-Spin animation in the T7:?R footage? (1 point)

None attempted

7) How many legacy characters (including the ones added in T7:?R from your Question 2 answer and the current T7 roster) will have brand new default outfits? (2 points)
Bonus: Specify which characters. (1 point for each correct answer)

6 Characters :D - Xiaoyu, Bryan, Leo, Dragunov, Asuka, and Lili :D

8) Are the customs shown in the T7:?R trailer/footage brand new customs, or more recycled customs from TTT2? (1 point)
EDIT: If there are none, say "none".

No customs shown

9) *JackPot Question* Who will win the last chance qualifier tournament happening right before the tournament? (6 points) (Not happening)

10) How many Supers will Land in the top 8 of the tournament? (2 points)

I counted 7

11) Will a female contestant place higher than everyone entering the tournament from EU/US? (1 point)

Nope, neither the female or the US/EU players made it past the round robin, so they were technically equally.

12) From the Top 8, how many are going to be from Japan, how many will be from Korea, and how many from anywhere else? (2 points)

5 - Japan, 3 - Korea

13) *JackPot Question* Who will win TKOIF2015? (6 points)

Nobi won!

When I tallied the results, it was:

4 Points: Numb, Sayah, Mike Myers
6 Points: Famicom, Squirrel Soup
10 Points: Tera, Sasuke
11 Points: GrayFox!

Congrats Gray, you win! I'll PM your Euro PSN code soon!

Considering how gloriously the T7:FR reveal delivered, this little competition was hella worth it!

sasuke_91

win.png

Yeah baby
1302123272941201222.gif

5I5s8.png
mjcry1.png
whoo.png

Yoooo congrats man! I always knew your playstyle would help in a tournament environment :D

AAK, weren't projectiles basically new gameplay mechanics in Tekken 7?
GrayFox, congrats on winning! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom