• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Yeah, thanks for the matches and especially tips that I can try to incorporate in my playstyle.

I need to adjust my combo in practice though.
What was it you said I should use GrayFox for my combo?

My tools so far:

Combo
df+2 (launcher), 1,2,4 then f+1 (bound), d+3,4 (juggle), db+2,1,4 (end)
But I need to change the 1,2,4, f+1 to something else GrayFox suggested in the game.

Normal attacks
d+3, 4
1, 2, 4

And then I need to use more lows, grabs and pokes. I think I'm progressing with grabs, movement and combos.

Good games, guys. I was getting pretty sad at the bodying i got from Grayfox but then i won one at last. Yay!

speedwagon, it'd be good to go into training mode with that Angel at least. She needs at least some combos. All the rest seems good, but you need some kinda conversion so people don't just disrespect you all the time.

Madridista, i don't know what those combos are, but if you want somewhere beginner easy mode to start with Bruce:

For combos:
df+2 or uf+4 (launcher), then
f+4,3,4 (goes into muay thai stance), then
f+1 (the bound), then
uf+3+4 (consistent finish)

You'll want a better ender later on probably, but try that.

As to pokes and stuff:
From mid range try using b+2 and 3,2 or 3,3. These are your spacing tools, you can use them to interrupt folks trying to get closer to you.
The only low you need is d+4, since it is amazing. Use it to sneak damage in and to get people to duck, so you can hit them with your big mids like your launchers.

Pachimari

Madridista, i don't know what those combos are, but if you want somewhere beginner easy mode to start with Bruce:

For combos:
df+2 or uf+4 (launcher), then
f+4,3,4 (goes into muay thai stance), then
f+1 (the bound), then
uf+3+4 (consistent finish)

You'll want a better ender later on probably, but try that.

As to pokes and stuff:
From mid range try using b+2 and 3,2 or 3,3. These are your spacing tools, you can use them to interrupt folks trying to get closer to you.
The only low you need is d+4, since it is amazing. Use it to sneak damage in and to get people to duck, so you can hit them with your big mids like your launchers.
I'm gonna see if I can nail these in Practice as well. Thank you for your feedback.

Can you elaborate on this? thanks, though

If you don't even do big chunks of damage if you land the risky launchers, folks won't be scared to duck your stuff and launch you or to press buttons all the time or to get right up in your grill and pressure you.

You can only start imposing your own game once people start giving you room. Besides, you 'paid' for that launcher by taking a risk so you have to make sure you get your money's worth. (I'd totally advise focusing on combo consistency over completely max damage though. )

At least that's how i see it.

If you don't even do big chunks of damage if you land the risky launchers, folks won't be scared to duck your stuff and launch you or to press buttons all the time or to get right up in your grill and pressure you.

You can only start imposing your own game once people start giving you room. Besides, you 'paid' for that launcher by taking a risk so you have to make sure you get your money's worth. (I'd totally advise focusing on combo consistency over completely max damage though. )

At least that's how i see it.

yea ok I get you now.

Gambit61

Thought this was pretty cool by Kodee in GF:
(direct link looks better)

https://gfycat.com/JovialImpishBarb
JovialImpishBarb.gif

Dereck

Well he is a good player. He's a child genius, and he trains with one of the best in the country. He just has a long way to go to prove himself as a true top player. Like I've said before, dude has no clutch. It doesn't matter how smart he is, or how knowledgeable he is at the game. If he can't execute any of that stuff in high pressure situations, then he might as well be that shitty ass online Ogre player that everyone was jizzing their pants over.
Right.

I think people buy too much into the idea of "young person who's really good at something" idea.

I was on the Speedkicks train like a year ago until I saw over and over again how he never really performed that well in tournaments. People give people like AK, Genkids, Princess Ling too much credit, all good players, all very young, but that's kind of where it ends sometimes.

AO is the only young player that I've seen that's shown how consistently good he is in tournament.

The allure of the really young dude being good is lost as well considering a lot of these new players like Runitblack and Cuddle Core are considerably young as well.

Another guy who fits that category is Anakin, dude was super young when he started out and he had the performance against Koreans to match in Tekken 6. I don't know much past the extent of that though.

1 minute until the stream starts and Tekken gets delayed or the internet doesn't work.

You are to blame for this.

think people buy too much into the idea of "young person who's really good at something" idea.

I was on the Speedkicks train like a year ago until I saw over and over again how he never really performed that well in tournaments. People give people like AK, Genkids, Princess Ling too much credit, all good players, all very young, but that's kind of where it ends sometimes.

People just want the young kids to win because it means a healthy future for the scene if they stick around. This happens with every game.

Dereck

Fortunately for America, Ling is that guy with Tekken 7. Even though not a lot of America has gotten their hands on the game, the guy has proven to be consistent.

Manbig

People just want the young kids to win because it means a healthy future for the scene if they stick around. This happens with every game.

I admit to totally being a hater on this concept. They're obviously all very good players. I just hate the fawning that goes on over unproven people. Especially when it gets into their heads, which seems like almost what happened to Speedkicks with his stupid "tournament results don't determine top 5 in America" mentality.

GrayFoxPL

Good games guys. Thanks for playing early.

Madridista you mixed up the combos I gave you.

Few things.

Mid launcher means it hits opponent middle so he can't crouch under it.
I noticed you hit 1,2,4 too early so the kick misses.

I tested the easiest and most reliable Bruce combos for you.

Launch witch df+2 or uf+4 btw generally it'll be "luckier" for to launch witch uf+4 - it crushes lows meaning if opponent tries something like a sweep or crouching punch you'll "win" with uf+4 and launch them.(generally)

so df+2 or uf+4
then 2,4, f+1 bound - (it's the shorter version of 1,2,4, f+1)
(d+3,4, f+1 bound should work too)

after bound hit b+4,3,4(triple knees)
or
db+2,1,4

You don't have to dash in or do any other movement. Everything will hit with you just standing there.
It's the easiest I could find that hit 100% of the time.

Use the combo SquirrelSoup told you too. Unless you find it to miss too much.

Speedwagon, you lunched with Angel so many times for win it was ridiculous, but you didn't combo right.
Don't mash df+1,2 after launch, it does nothing.
With Angel after launch:
b+4,1 df+1+2
or
db+2, 2, df+1+2
or easy mode when confused or lag 1,2, df+1+2

For harder combos you can do things like:
windgodfist launch=
b+4,1, f+1, ff+3,4
or
series of jabs then ff+3,4 fast
ewgf, 1, df+1+2

after electric launch you can use uf+1+2(up laser) instead of another electric for same results.

Depending on how many hits you did before bound you can go for different enders. Less hit's before bound = more hits for ender after bound possible.

after bound
f,d,df+1,UF - hard
ff+3,4 - spikes but needs to be fast
dash in db+4,3 - my choice
df+3,2,2
f+2,1,4
f+3(angel stance) 2,1
f,d,df+4,3 - low damage
f+3+4

When opponent stays on the ground don't go for hellsweep it doesn't do damage and only pushes them back.
Dash in and db+4,3 if they twitch both kicks will hit.
or if they aren't patient, fire up fast ff+3,4 - bounds them again if they twitch.
4~3
or d+1+2 laser is not bad too.

some basic notes.
3 is a 14 frame safe high kick with good range that crumple stuns on counter hit. Use ff+3,4 for fast bound after ch.
You can annoy people to death with db+4,3 unless they block low a lot.
You can mixup crouch dash 4,3 with crouch dash 3(mid kick with good pushback) so they don't know how to block.
You can do db+1,2 B+1+2 to go smoothly into charging and scare the shit out of some people.
db+2 pops up in combos
WS 1,4 is an easy hit confirm and one of my favorite moves.
f+2,1,4 does solid damage but it may mean death for angel if blocked. Great after bound at the wall.
b+1,1+2 damaging 12 frame punisher but -15.
f+3, 1+2 super easy laser throw with solid damage. Abuse it.
ff+3,4 may have bad frame data but it'a deceiving, I won my most fights thanks to this move alone. It low crushes. It has great range, bizzare animation so people don't react on it in time. On normal hit it spikes them down right under angel's feet for great oki. It's super fast bound in juggles. It kills jumpers. It bounds rollers. It is -15 but it forces crouch and most ws launchers are at 16, besides that on some distances quick ws launches can also whiff Angel. If someone is super good punisher, Angel will die but I still love this move.

Moves with frame advantage on block.
uf+3
f+4
full charge b+1+2
f+3, 4
Electric f,d,df+2
Running 3

Use them to score counter hits.

I admit to totally being a hater on this concept. They're obviously all very good players. I just hate the fawning that goes on over unproven people. Especially when it gets into their heads, which seems like almost what happened to Speedkicks with his stupid "tournament results don't determine top 5 in America" mentality.

Oh SK obviously has an ego. When Rip was getting on him in his stream chat you could clearly see it. RunItBlack did too which is why he drops in and out when he doesn't do well.

I had bouts of it this year myself since I'm relatively new to the fgc. Went 1-2 in Tekken and dropped the game. Went 0-2 in MKX at a local and just said fuck fighting games. Now some of that was personal issues getting into something I love but a majority of that was straight up ego.

sasuke_91

Good games earlier guys.

Madridista, you were really aggressive with the grabs in one match, that was pretty good. You were a little too obvious sometimes (like starting the round with a 1 grab), but very good anyway. As Squirrel said, d+4 is a great low, abuse it.
Hate mails are a good sign by the way :p

Speedwagon, that one match was really bitter. There were a lot of opportunities you could have taken to win the match, but you didn't.
By the way, when I keep blocking those df+1's, don't be afraid to throw in a d+2 occasionally instead of completing the string.

Squirrel, I haven't been hit by so many f+2's in a long time xD

GrayFoxPL, it's been a while since we last played. Good games!

I'm Online now if Nuszka or anyone else wants to play.

Pachimari

Would you guys like Tekken 7 to have a DLC plan like the one Street Fighter V got? Like 6 characters for a season.

To be honest, the DLC campaign for Tag 2 was piss poor.

PS: Thanks for the feedback GrayFox, SquirrelSoup and Sasuke. I'm gonna try slowly implement all of those tips tomorrow. Very interesting. There's actually a lot to work on and I love it.

The whole thing is starting to click for me and that motivates me. I have started to see how Tekken can be played without button mashing. I'm super happy I did my first good combo since the days of Tekken 2. It have only taken me more than a decade but it's just in time for Josie, so I'm cool with it heh.

Would you guys like Tekken 7 to have a DLC plan like the one Street Fighter V got? Like 6 characters for a season.

To be honest, the DLC campaign for Tag 2 was piss poor.

Well Namco doesn't really do DLC after a few months. The character DLC we had were just on-disk unlocks that were luckily for free.

I don't mind cosmetic DLC and I don't think I would mind character DLC as long as it doesn't expand the roster too much past whatever FR decides to have.

Sayah

I just wanna see Nina/Anna already. Get these location tests going......and maybe send out some machines to USA as well. >_>
(with dualshock 4 support)

Fraeon

I'm just arriving her to pimp some Finnish Tekken. I wasn't there this time and wasn't streaming it but I was asked to restream it on Youtube Gaming.

I especially recommend some Kelmi matches. He's never at our online tourneys and he's arguably the best one of the whole Joensuu crew.

I've been taking a bit of a break from online Tekken. I have played some offline games (I was told my defence has gone way up and I'm far scarier at the wall that I used to be). Also I've done some practice mode for Nina, though, really want a blonde bombshell team. She's one of the few characters I hadn't done any looking into so far. My only issue is that the way I do BDC on my stick is royally screwing me over with Nina. Now that I am practising Nina, I really hope she is in FR.

I'll be doing more online Tekken once we get Biiruken rolling again but till then I'm enjoying some single player games for a change.

Thanks for the tips guys! I felt so bad about those games because I didn't practise in the week. I won't make that mistake again! I played super lousy, but I will put in the time this week and be prepped for next weekend.

Sayah

I disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJheP5S2BPU

EDIT: about Voldo, he also has a move that does that same spin hit animation, but Algol's is the one Claudio received.
Reusing animations from SoulCalibur is not really a big deal since the animations still look fine and don't muck up the game in anyway. And it's only a small chunk of animations. The rest is just a matter of moves being re-assigned from past Tekken characters to new Tekken characters. Customizations on the other hand.............

It's a good thing, in fact, that SoulCalibur exists. Even TTT2's good netcode was based on the success with SCV, and if I was Namco, I would also be capitalizing on having two premier fighting game franchises and seeing how concepts and content could be cross-utilized to reduce costs and increase revenue. But again, customizations are where I have a problem here. Presentation is absolutely important. Having a small chunk of animations from another game isn't going to hinder presentation in any significant way. But having a wide assortment of recycled customs that everyone uses is definitely going to have a large-scale impact on presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom