• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

All this anime talk and no one mentions Princess Mononoke? Is Miyazki already forgotten? :( Another recommendation from me is Sword of the Stranger.

@Lupinko I always tell this to everyone, play whoever you feel looks the funnest and connects with you from an aesthetic point too. In the end that's what will motivate you to keep playing. But if you want to know who I think it's the easiest I'd say go with Lars, Dragunov, or Lili. Hwoarang is on the complete other end of the spectrum lol. Can't comment on Shaheen or Brosie yet.

If you are pre ordering games and have Amazon Prime, make sure you pre order there. They have 20% off on a lot of upcoming games for pre orders and slightly after launch.

Meanwhile in Canada:

1d845d52d3.jpg

Numb

Playing that random card lol
That's just games tho. You should see what hardware costs and see your wallet running away

AAK

We're getting there :(

All of our telecom and ISP companies make their investments in US dollars so our phone and Internet bills are rapidly skyrocketing simultaneously. (Yes, all of them are colluding to hike their prices simultaneously to prevent any competition)... Really sucks.

All this anime talk and no one mentions Princess Mononoke? Is Miyazki already forgotten? :( Another recommendation from me is Sword of the Stranger.

@Lupinko I always tell this to everyone, play whoever you feel looks the funnest and connects with you from an aesthetic point too. In the end that's what will motivate you to keep playing. But if you want to know who I think it's the easiest I'd say go with Lars, Dragunov, or Lili. Hwoarang is on the complete other end of the spectrum lol. Can't comment on Shaheen or Brosie yet.

Meanwhile in Canada:

1d845d52d3.jpg
Ouch! I guess Canada isn't so great as everyone says it is.

AAK

Canada is still awesome... It's just that our previous prime minister put all the eggs on the oil & gas natural resource. And with the oil prices crashing the way they did the following happened to the Canadian dollar value:

1139d171ed.png

Sayah

Code Geass
Steins;Gate
Clannad After Story

These are animes that I could have watched in one go.

Sports animes are also something that is really easy to binge watch, like Hajime no Ippo, Haikyuu or Ping Pong.
I also like animes where you don't watch many episodes but actually try to absorb every single one, like Mushishi or Katanagatari.

Let's see, from your list.

Code Geass - watched and didn't like. Though, I've heard R2 is better so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Steins;Gate - watched it and liked it (after 8 or so episodes of "meh")

Clannad After Story - Haven't watched

Hajime no Ippo - Watched like 30 or episodes and then stalled.

Haikyuu - haven't watched

Ping Pong - haven't watched

Mushishi - haven't watched

Katanagatari - haven't watched

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
Zankyou no Terror
Hunter x Hunter 2011
One Outs
Monster
Attack on Titan
No game no life

They gave me the same hype and addiction

FMA: Brotherhood - watched it and loved it

Zankyou no Terror - haven't watched

Hunter x Hunter 2011 - one of the most overrated things I have ever seen. Only Kurapika's arc was interesting. The rest of the anime is a boring "meh."

One Outs - watched.....and it was okay

Monster - watched it and loved it

Attack on Titan - watched it, waiting on new episodes

No game no life - haven't watched

I loved Monster, to a point, but if you've seen that, Madoka is short and sweet too, and if you're seen that, Shin Sekai Yori is different and mysterious, but if you're seen that already, I watched Aku no Hana recently and enjoyed that.

I loved Monster and haven't watched any of the other ones you've listed. Will have to add to my list.
I'm getting better at the game now, by taking up Kazumi, it's certainly helped my Kat.

There is a lot more consistency now in my play, also not playing when fatigued or hungover helps too.

I'm 7th Dan now with Kat and 5th Dan with Kazumi, the 8th Dan and up are really hard, fuck.

I'm messing around with Shaheen in practice mode and local mode just trying to get the basics down in addition to overall feel.

Basically I'm wondering who take up next, I'll play all these characters eventually yeah but it's between:

Shaheen
+ really safe and stupid good
+ he has a ten gallon hat! And some other cool customs
- practice is only at the arcade

Lili
+ also really good
+ she has lots of customs I gave her
+ can practice at home
- don't find myself ever playing Tag 2 at home
- learning curve not as easy as Kazumi or Shaheen

Dragunov
+ very good as well
+ he's got customs too
+ can practice at home
- don't find myself ever playing Tag 2 at home
- learning curve not as easy or as quick as Kazumi or Shaheen

Josie
+ she's like Bruce!
+ I got cool customs like turning her into Alpha Chun, kinda
+ can practice Bruce at home!
- probably not going to play at home
- she's sorta like Bruce and not exactly
- learning curve not simple like Kazumi or Shaheen

There's also Hwoarang and Lars, but I don't think I have the Tekken technical play yet for the former and Lars is weaker in 7, but the issue with Lars for me is that I get lost in his movements as I find it really confusing, at least when fighting him. I also have customs for both too.

As AAK said, go with whoever you find most fun.

Princess Mononoke another anime (movie) I find overrated.

AAK

Real Menace weighs in on his experience with T7 from the TKOIF qualifier.

That's interesting. I had that exact same thing to say about Monster. I actually felt like Monster was one of the biggest wastes of time for me. It has some of the slowest pacing I've ever had to endure. I walked away really unhappy with it.

My top 10 Anime would be:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the WInd
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
5. Death Note
6. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
7. Grave of the Fireflies
8. Steamboy
9. Sword of the Stranger
10. One Punch Man

But I have to give a special shoutout to these series: Trigun, Serei No Moribito, 12 Kingdoms, and Attack on Titan. Those series hold a special place for me because they are the only Shonen-style anime series I've ever seen that doesn't fetishize their female cast and treats the presence of women with respect rather than mere objects for fan service.

This thread also reminds me to see Mushishi. Man that anime was good with a superb dub from the few episodes I saw. I really want to finish it but I have long since unsubscribed from netflix.

Sayah

Real Menace weighs in on his experience with T7 from the TKOIF qualifier.

That's interesting. I had that exact same thing to say about Monster. I actually felt like Monster was one of the biggest wastes of time for me. It has some of the slowest pacing I've ever had to endure. I walked away really unhappy with it.

My top 10 Anime would be:

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the WInd
2. Princess Mononoke
3. Avatar: The Last Airbender
4. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
5. Death Note
6. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
7. Grave of the Fireflies
8. Steamboy
9. Sword of the Stranger
10. One Punch Man

But I have to give a special shoutout to these series: Trigun, Serei No Moribito, 12 Kingdoms, and Attack on Titan. Those series hold a special place for me because they are the only Shonen-style anime series I've ever seen that doesn't fetishize their female cast and treats the presence of women with respect rather than mere objects for fan service.

This thread also reminds me to see Mushishi. Man that anime was good with a superb dub from the few episodes I saw. I really want to finish it but I have long since unsubscribed from netflix.

Have you watched the entirety of Monster? I remember it being boring/okay for the first 10-15 episodes but then it picks up.

Based on impressions from others, I went into Grave of the Fireflies thinking I would be crying a lot - but I didn't shed a single tear. The story is sad of course, but it's not something that moved me that much. The only thing that's actually made me shed tears like a baby was Taare Zameen Par.

Anyway, this would be my anime top 10.

1. Death Note
2. Monster
3. Samurai 7
4. FMA: Brotherhood
5. FMA (original)
6. Black Lagoon
7. Claymore
8. Attack on Titan
9. Soul Eater
10. Now and Then, Here and There

AAK

I saw all of Monster. The pacing never picked up IMO. Every episode had so many inconsequential characters that just blabbered on and on about their life history dragging the pace every episode. By the end of it I just didn't care anymore. The show had no business being 70+ episodes long. Could have easily fit it all in 25-30 episodes with proper editing. Or better yet it should have been a feature film.

I didn't cry at all in Grave of the Fireflies, I was just shocked more than anything. I already knew what was gonna happen since the whole intro of the movie was "This is how I died" but it was still pretty brutal seeing a couple of children suffer the way that movie showed with no hope.

I saw Taare Zameen Par, but with Indonesian subtitles. Was really good.

sasuke_91

@lupinko: The only con for Shaheen you list is that you can't play the character at home, yet you say that you probably won't play at home anyway.
I aggree with AAK and Sayah though, play whoever you like the most.

Sword of the Stranger is one of the greatest pieces of animation Madhouse has ever created. I love that movie.
Have you watched Wolf Children? One of my favourite movies ever.
Miyazaki Movies are great. I have to watch the newer ones (Kaguya-hime no Monogatari for example).
My favourite Ghibli movie is Howl's Moving Castle by the way.

Code Geass - watched and didn't like. Though, I've heard R2 is better so maybe I'll give it a shot.

I always knew it. Opinions CAN be wrong :p
Just kidding. Ghibli movies are a part of my childhood, I can't hate a single one of them.

If you didn't like Code Geass I don't think you'll like R2. The second season is full of ass-pulls which lead to an amazing ending though. I didn't mind them, but many people do.

AAK said:

Mushishi and Spice and Wolf are the two animes that I only watch with german subs instead of english.
Spice and Wolf because it's full of terms that I don't understand (business english).
Mushishi because the subs by a german sub-group were amazing and they showed an explanation at the end of every single episode because it's full of japanese mythology and culture that I didn't know.

Based on impressions from others, I went into Grave of the Fireflies thinking I would be crying a lot - but I didn't shed a single tear. The story is sad of course, but it's not something that moved me that much.

I didn't cry either, but it was really hard to watch. That lump in my throat during the scene in the cave when the girl offers her brother a "rice ball"... I died a little inside.

I aggree with AAK by the way. Monster's pacing is terrible. Still have to finish the series though.

AAK

I haven't seen Wolf's Children... I've actually never heard of it lol. But the fact that you used it in the same sentence as Sword of the Stranger means it has my attention! It wouldn't be related to Wolf's Rain would it? :p

As for the most impressive animation I've ever seen, it has to be Steamboy. The voice over for the main character is just atrocious and it has sections that really drag... But boy oh boy was that final sequence some of the most jaw dropping feats in cinema. Sword of the Stranger also reaches that realm of incredulous wonder with its final fight.

Although I could also be looking at Steamboy through rose tinted glasses since Steamboy was the first anime I ever saw while I was on the aeroplane arriving into Canada for the first time. Some nostalgia could be impairing my judgement. But straight after I discovered the Miyazaki movies. I don't think any film has really gripped me like the ones I mentioned in my top 10 aside from maybe The Raid 2.

Wolf Children has nothing to do with Wolf's Rain, but it is still a spectacular film!

Sasuke, Sword of the stranger is by bones not Madhouse. But from what i have seen It may well have some of the most finely animated fight scene's in anime.

Something I would have to recommend to everyone is Kaiji, and this goes doubly to you Sayah since this shoe holds a tight grip on you and doesn't let go.

Some personal Recommendations would Moribito as I said in a Previous post as well as Maria the Virgin Witch for some low fantasy goodness. Fate/Zero of course as well for some amazingly deceptive characters. Noragami is an underrated Bones show everyone should watch. Oh and, of course, Parasite this show is one of my absolute favourites and I don't want to spoil anything about it.

I will leave my hummingbird if anyone wants to add me

ajb1888

Banned
Pretty much just use my index, middle, and ring fingers to push the stick towards the right, and my thumb and index fingers to push the stick towards the left.

Been a couple days, and I'm in love with this thing.
Have had tons of Tekken fun mashing buttons with friends, but I'm actually learning and practicing things now haha. Mostly Tag2

Sayah

#OscarsTekkenSoWhite

I saw all of Monster. The pacing never picked up IMO. Every episode had so many inconsequential characters that just blabbered on and on about their life history dragging the pace every episode. By the end of it I just didn't care anymore. The show had no business being 70+ episodes long. Could have easily fit it all in 25-30 episodes with proper editing. Or better yet it should have been a feature film.

I didn't cry at all in Grave of the Fireflies, I was just shocked more than anything. I already knew what was gonna happen since the whole intro of the movie was "This is how I died" but it was still pretty brutal seeing a couple of children suffer the way that movie showed with no hope.

I saw Taare Zameen Par, but with Indonesian subtitles. Was really good.

Are you from Indonesia?

And I wasn't that upset with Monster's pacing as I was with the cliffhanger ending. But I love the anime - the characters are amazing and well-developed.

Already watched all of One Punch Man. It was really enjoyable.

I'll wait till One Punch Man is dubbed......if ever.

Can't stand subtitles. I want to focus on the action, not on reading.

Numb

Namco are smart
They got their pulse on it
Just gotta wait for the FR characters to drop for console ;_;
We'll get Deejay and Elena and Hakan and Dudley to fight Steve

Sayah

CZP8DQEU8AA-QsT.jpg

lol

I feel very disgusted when I think of the decades of systematic discrimination against black people. Although the civil rights movement accomplished a lot, there is still such a long way to go. It's even more disheartening when I'm reading news stories of black people being falsely convicted of crimes and then being exonerated 20 years later because new evidence suggests they were innocent all along. Being very familiar with South Asian culture, I'm also very disgruntled with the rampant cultural support for whiter skin - and it makes my stomach turn to see even celebrities supporting skin whitening products.

I also remember coming across the anonymous confessions thread in off-topic and one of the posters (a high school teacher) confessed that he changed the answers to a black student's final exam to fail him so he couldn't graduate with a diploma. I can only imagine how many similar instances exist of people getting screwed over because of their skin color.

Just got to hope for a better future where people don't do sleazy things like these.

Numb

That weather is everyday here
Nothing new
Also don't go into the anonymous confessions threads unless you wanna have a bad time

sasuke_91

Sasuke, Sword of the stranger is by bones not Madhouse. But from what i have seen It may well have some of the most finely animated fight scene's in anime.
Oh shit you're right. I don't know how I came to think it was Madhouse, it's nothing like Madhouse's animations.

Don't have Hummingbird, just a list on MyAnimeList.

My top 5 would be:

Code Geass R2
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Mushishi
Clannad After Story
Steins;Gate

Racism is the most idiotic thing the human race has ever come up with. I don't even understand how skin color has any influence at all.
I don't think I want to see that thread in OT...

Rajang

Harada on Akuma.

“That was a reveal we’d been cooking up for some time. I’d conveyed the idea to Mr. Ono around four years ago, and we’d been working on it slowly. We actually had Akuma’s silhouette appear in the opening movie of Tekken 7. But, it was hard to make sure his identity wasn’t leaked.”

“if I were to have Akuma in a serious fight, a battle that Tekken and Street Fighter fans want to see, then I thought “I can’t have it happen in a spinoff.” For Street Fighter and Tekken to truly face off, I needed the appropriate structure, and because there’s a lot of focus and attention paid to Tekken’s story, I wanted to incorporate it there”

I’m sure there will be people out there who see Akuma getting involved in Tekken’s story and think, “Why would you do that?” but for me, Street Fighter is the root of all fighting games, and I think having a point of connection to that is wonderful. I don’t think the shock of seeing Akuma in Tekken is something you experience often. We didn’t want Akuma to simply be a “guest character.” He should be a full-fledged “enemy.” In the same way that every character in Tekken has a burden to bear, we wanted Akuma have some sort of absolute reason to fight. That’s why I wanted to show Akuma’s cool side, the parts that you wouldn’t be able to show off in Street Fighter. The development team, we’re all fans of the original, so we made it with the feelings of “this is what would if we tried to seriously make something in the world of Street Fighter

sourcegaming

It's from a very big interview with Harada and Ono in Famitsu, theres alot more cool info in the link I provided.

GrayFoxPL

Harada on Akuma.

It's from a very big interview with Harada and Ono in Famitsu, theres alot more cool info in the link I provided.

Interesting.

3 things I picked up from this interview.

1. Akuma is not a resource taken from TxSF. I'm telling you this fucking game doesn't exist, again. Aaaarh!

2. Harada cares more about SF story then Tekken.

3. Those guys should get a room and enjoy the bromance, lol.

Dereck

I'm unable to care about any interview with Harada when I know that no release date is involved.

Dude could say Tekken Tunes is coming, World Tekken Federation is coming, new characters are coming, Tekken 3 stages and costumes are coming, Gunjack is coming and I wouldn't give a dick because none of those things are release dates.

Numb

FR arcade on march and release for console announced at E3 or EVO(Fall)
Guessing. Then Tekken also skips this year and releases early next.....

Dereck

So, if I ever want a chance to play Tekken 7, I'm gonna have to fork up some money that I would rather spend on my car to travel somewhere. I'm not even talking about going overseas, I'm talking about traveling to another state. That's not free brethrens.

So if anyone is wondering, "why does GAF complain so much", it's simple, it's because some people can't play. I live in the desert, Tekken 7 isn't down here, that's not within my control. Some people in this thread have played Tekken 7 numerous times, that's awesome.

Give a little leeway for the players of the NFT league.

No Fucking Tekken 7, put me on the field coach.

Dereck

I'm trying to gif stuff from the Tag 2 pools from KiT and the archives are still blocked. These are gonna be blocked until they vanish I bet.

Pachimari

I'll still sticking to my "Spring 2017" release of the console version.

Weren't we supposed to get news sometime in January-February, and then FR would get its play testing in March?

sasuke_91

I still don't know why they wouldn't let us play a T7 beta on PS4. For a week every few months like Capcom does with SFV. Arcade operators can't complain since European and American players can't play on arcades anyway. And we won't bitch about release dates as much as we do right now.

Is it that hard to understand that 99% of the Tekken community is bitching because they have to watch Koreans play the game for 2 years before they get their hands on it? Is a beta not possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom