• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraeon

If anyone cares to check this video I made analyzing my own matches, it'd be nice. I know it's Tag 2 and that's not terribly exciting anymore but you know, if as a European I want to play Tekken, the options are what they are.

Fake-Edit: The video is here

GrayFoxPL

Over that by now probably and that's taking into account USD exchange rate.

I also factor in Tekken-net subs or dumb times I try to buy item lotto tickets but those aren't a lot luckily.

Wowzers. That's a shitload of money. More then console "collectible" editions and all the dlc shit of a random AAA game.

I told you guys they won't kill this golden goose until they figure out how to get similar profit from console players.

Waiting for console release date is like watching this seagull just floating in the sky not giving a shit about anything. "When it's gonna land?" LoL, not anytime soon.

lupinko

Wowzers. That's a shitload of money. More then console "collectible" editions and all the dlc shit of a random AAA game.

I told you guys they won't kill this golden goose until they figure out how to get similar profit from console players.

Waiting for console release date is like watching this seagull just floating in the sky not giving a shit about anything. "When it's gonna land?" LoL, not anytime soon.

Yeah, check this out:

I've bought:
Tekken 2 PSX NA
Tekken 3 PSX NA
Tekken 4 PS2 JP
Tekken 5DR PSN NA
Tekken Tag 2 PS3 NA - later sold
Tekken Tag 2 PSN JP

I'd play the games casually at home or at the arcades from Tekken 2-6BR back in Vancouver (I only rented Tekken 1 when I was a lad, but obviously the series got on with Tekken 2 like most fighting games), but eventually I'd always just revert back to Capcom and SNK 2D fighters religiously.

Obviously the tables have turned now, also I'm a lot older and I have access to great competition here in Japan. Which is pretty much why everything changed.

Oh wait so yeah back on topic, that was it when it came to money from me into Namco's pockets, but it's a waterfall when it comes to Tekken 7.

Edit: I just remembered that I bought Tekken 6 twice on PS3, I rebought it after selling it prior. Lol

Sayah

So here's something interesting to think about. Thanks Beckx for the find:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-new-arcade-games-due-to-arcade-slump/.98559

If arcades are really on a slump, will that mean a console port soon?

I think Tekken 7 performed well. It's their other games that are probably not doing so well.
Like Pokken I heard was a total failure in arcades.

Over that by now probably and that's taking into account USD exchange rate.

I also factor in Tekken-net subs or dumb times I try to buy item lotto tickets but those aren't a lot luckily.

WOW!

That's some dedication.

If anyone cares to check this video I made analyzing my own matches, it'd be nice. I know it's Tag 2 and that's not terribly exciting anymore but you know, if as a European I want to play Tekken, the options are what they are.

Fake-Edit: The video is here

I love the TTT1 stage music you have going on.

Yeah, check this out:

I've bought:
Tekken 2 PSX NA
Tekken 3 PSX NA
Tekken 4 PS2 JP
Tekken 5DR PSN NA
Tekken Tag 2 PSN JP

I'd play the games casually at home or at the arcades from Tekken 2-6BR back in Vancouver (I only rented Tekken 1 when I was a lad, but obviously the series got on with Tekken 2 like most fighting games), but eventually I'd always just revert back to Capcom and SNK 2D fighters religiously.

Obviously the tables have turned now, also I'm a lot older and I have access to great competition here in Japan. Which is pretty much why everything changed.

Oh wait so yeah back on topic, that was it when it came to money from me into Namco's pockets, but it's a waterfall when it comes to Tekken 7.

Edit: I just remembered that I bought Tekken 6 twice on PS3, I rebought it after selling it prior. Lol

Well - good to know you've been enjoying the game enough to be spending that type of money on it.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, check this out:

I've bought:
Tekken 2 PSX NA
Tekken 3 PSX NA
Tekken 4 PS2 JP
Tekken 5DR PSN NA
Tekken Tag 2 PSN JP

Nice. I willing to bet you're not the only one.

I bought so many Namco games, disregarding obviously whole Tekken series but everything from Xevious to, Time Crisis series, Ridge Racer series, oldies collections, Ace Combat, Klonoa, random rare games like Libero Grande, etc. shit they published, even crap like that gravity Gears of War ripoff.
I gave them so much money they should treat me like a king today. And they do, but more like Tekken 2 Alcoholic King who was left to drink himself to death in some gutter. ;P

2iyIWeG.gif

Manbig

Very nice commentary. I just watched the Askua/Jun; Anna/Zafina match and it was tense.

I would say the same thing that I've said to NinthPixel, though. Don't repeat every single thing happening on the screen the entire time. It's okay to divert a little - and talk about other things. Or make funny references.

I watched a good portion of it live. The one comment I have is how you managed to maintain the stamina for the entire duration of the tournament. That's impressive! The few times I did help out on commentary for Russell's Toronto events I'm pretty much exhausted within 45 minutes.

Thank you both!

Yeah, it's kinda hard to find things to talk about outside of what's going on in the match when you're rolling solo and you don't really know these players. That's something that I will aim to improve in the long run.

Yes AAK, it was quite exhausting. I think I barely did 10 matches and was still quite winded by the end of it all. It was about 5 or 6 hours though. Hopefully we can move it along quicker next time. Just hard to when these people keep showing up late.

For those of you planning on getting SFV, I made this Laura oki guide that I've been pimping out.

https://youtu.be/DhkhR68Znn8

Manbig

A true gentleman. You happen to be a Bison or Vega player?

I played Bison during the first beta. I don't really like how he is at the moment, so I dropped him for now. He just seems really gimmicky unless he has EX meter to burn so he can approach.

LowParry

I played Bison during the first beta. I don't really like how he is at the moment, so I dropped him for now. He just seems really gimmicky unless he has EX meter to burn so he can approach.

He's way different from Beta 1. Give him a go again. Biggest change was his teleport is now his dash instead of being tied to his V Trigger. I think he's pretty legit.

Sayah

Thank you both!

Yeah, it's kinda hard to find things to talk about outside of what's going on in the match when you're rolling solo and you don't really know these players. That's something that I will aim to improve in the long run.

Yes AAK, it was quite exhausting. I think I barely did 10 matches and was still quite winded by the end of it all. It was about 5 or 6 hours though. Hopefully we can move it along quicker next time. Just hard to when these people keep showing up late.

For those of you planning on getting SFV, I made this Laura oki guide that I've been pimping out.

https://youtu.be/DhkhR68Znn8

Yeah, I can see as a solo commentator, how tough it would be.

Also, that Laura vid is ace. Excellent production values and knowledge.

Manbig

He's way different from Beta 1. Give him a go again. Biggest change was his teleport is now his dash instead of being tied to his V Trigger. I think he's pretty legit.

Let me clarify.

I liked him during beta 1. I don't like what he is right now. The dash is nice, but it's really gimmicky and super easy to react to and keep him out. I liked his old dash a lot better, because it didn't have the teleport animation to give it away so much. He really needs that dash too, because his walk speed is so terrible, that he can't really keep up with footsies. He has hard hitting offense, and great options off of a knock down with EX fireball meaty, and EX fireball does give him damn near free approach in the neutral, but without that stuff, he feels like pure gimmicks that will probably lose out really hard to people who are used to the match up.

At least that's how I see it for now. We'll see how it plays out in the long run.

Yeah, I can see as a solo commentator, how tough it would be.

Also, that Laura vid is ace. Excellent production values and knowledge.

Thanks, dude!

I needed to mess with the audio levels a lot, but I was rushing to get it done before the Gravity Falls finale (which was great btw) so I'll need to be a lot more careful with that next time.

GrayFoxPL

I didn't get to hear as much of the commentary, because I was flipping streams back and forth but it was really solid. That you commented all whats happening in time of action like actual moves, traps, situations etc. I'm always annoyed when commentators don't bother to actually comment and provide information and the best they can do is "That was free." or "What was that? I don't play this character." - lazy.

I would just encourage that you look into getting someone to commentate with you, Manbig. I feel like that is my mistake, I have about a 150 hours of doing solo commentary that I feel very out of element to have a partner.

As far as going the distance, Fingers To Fight is a great place to do it. I never really saw it a great thing that I still have energy in the tank for grand finals after 4-7 hours of streaming, running brackets, commentary, and participating. If I can just get a taste of UltraDavid, Markman, Aris, Rip, etc level commentary I could really be an asset.

Edit: haha, nice share AAK.

AllenShrz

Yeah, check this out:

I've bought:
Tekken 2 PSX NA
Tekken 3 PSX NA
Tekken 4 PS2 JP
Tekken 5DR PSN NA
Tekken Tag 2 PSN JP

This made me do a count of how much have I spent on T7, this is my main card:

IcIv2Kr.jpg

On my second card I have about 400 matches.... So maybe close to 2.5k? Im not sure... I was really thinking of buying the actual cab with online activated (you can buy it just for LAN, is cheaper but whats the point).

So far I bought all Tekkens for ps1 -ps2 and ps3, the T5 PSP ver, WiiU ver of TT2 and 3 versions of TT2 for PS3, one american, one european and one japanse and 3 ps3 that goes with each one. Why? because for online rank battle I could be spending 10 min with no match if Im in Eurpoe with an american version or the same if im in Japan with an Euro version, I learnt that the hard way, and each PS3 is on a different continent.

lupinko

Are these stickers and banapasses only available in Japan or all over Asia? Looks so good.

And lol at that Devil Jin panel.

They should be universal, but for special ones like location test ones, those are exclusive like Valentine Tekken Girls or Mari Shimazaki Kazumi.

But for ones like jbstyle Evo designs or Devil Kazumi, they're common but more than the regular card. You can also use Sega AIME cards with Namco games and vice versa.

You don't have to limit yourself with Tekken, there's also Pokken, idolmaster, Midnight Wangan and etc...

AllenShrz: I didn't know one could still buy a board flat out, if I was baller I would def. lol

lupinko

Aren't the boards region locked?

Probably for netplay, but the banapasses are all universal. And based on the fact that the other countries not called Japan and Korea share the same English Tekken-Net site, I figure that they should be using the same board.

It's also probably the same one that Bamco used in the US location tests and the same one they gave to MarkMan.

For the low price of about 1,350,000 Yen + tax and other fees can be yours.

Ah okay, again by being baller that'd be no sweat.

A cabinet you mean? no

Knee had access to one but not anymore. But I think he still has privileged access within an arcade establishment.

That's right, Knee used to have one via his sponsor I was told, but he switched sponsors or something which led to him losing his private cab.

AllenShrz

Aren't the boards region locked?

I dont know the specifics but I do know that in order for the machine to boot up, it requires to call home and have a valid USB key attached for authentication and maybe decryption, is quite common to use it when you want to lock down a system or a processes.

Fraeon

Cool
Wish our scene was as active. Smash too strong

I don't know about your circumstances but in our case it really just me and two friends of mine looking at the barren scene we hace locally and going to work with a 0 budget. Since then we have at least 2 more people in the crew, and a whole bunch of Finnish players joining for the tourneys creating some buzz.

Melee is the biggest thing in town over here but it's not a game I enjoy playing... Or even watching that much.

I don't know about NinthPixel's circumstances either but I give him mad props for running his show alone.

But really... if we aren't the guys keeping interest in the game outside of Asia then who is?

Numb

I don't know about your circumstances but in our case it really just me and two friends of mine looking at the barren scene we hace locally and going to work with a 0 budget. Since then we have at least 2 more people in the crew, and a whole bunch of Finnish players joining for the tourneys creating some buzz.

Melee is the biggest thing in town over here but it's not a game I enjoy playing... Or even watching that much.

I don't know about NinthPixel's circumstances either but I give him mad props for running his show alone.

But really... if we aren't the guys keeping interest in the game outside of Asia then who is?

There's me and a guy i kidnap sometimes and one dude two towns over
The scene tries to play everything and have a big tourny each month for a different game getting the Smash people to try them.
Literally every single one of them is saying they'll play when T7 drops...for the last 2yrs

sasuke_91

Literally every single one of them is saying they'll play when T7 drops...for the last 2yrs

Same here. TTT2 has been dead for a few years now in Germany and we only get to sneak into smaller tourneys as a side event sometimes or have a meet-up every few months. People say they want to get into Tekken again when 7 drops and host some bigger tournaments for that game, but they've been saying this for 2 years now...

Even I am tired of TTT2 and I used to love this game. Tag combos are starting to annoy me, especially when some characters get huge buffs because of them (Christie/Eddy for example... 100+ dmg combs, no biggie).

I get up at 6am and don't get back till 7.15pm from work, by then im fucking tired so I don't really play anything in the week. Then my ps3 is hooked up to a component lead in my elgato so if I want to switch from ps4 to ps3 i have to turn on my capture computer to then change the output signal which is effort and kills my motivation to play :/ I want to play more with you guys though.

GrayFoxPL

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

I wonder if T7FR suddenly landed in your hands you'd still have excuse not to play.

Get your prioritises straight - 1. Tekken, 2. Life

;P in case someone takes it seriously.

Nuszka

Ok so played a good view games of SF5, and my experience is not so great. Im posting it here as just to let you guys know, every game that i have won i got people disconnecting so i didn't receive any league point or fight money, this is really bad. Right know i could compare SF5 online community to something like cod, its no fun. Thing is if i post it in the OT i will get bashed like crazy lol.

Dereck

Ok so played a good view games of SF5, and my experience is not so great. Im posting it here as just to let you guys know, every game that i have won i got people disconnecting so i didn't receive any league point or fight money, this is really bad. Right know i could compare SF5 online community to something like cod, its no fun. Thing is if i post it in the OT i will get bashed like crazy lol.
I would give it a few months, game has only been out for about 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom