• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Street Fighter 5 is already bombing. The casuals I talk to speak of problems like the menu graphics and lifebars not even showing in the game. They can play the game, but it's a mess. People are already reporting used copies of Street Fighter 5 at their local GameStop.

Tekken did keep fighting games alive in the competitive circuit during those "dark ages". However, Street Fighter is a sort of canary in the coal mine to casuals. If it isn't doing so well, then they will look to other genres.

Nuszka

Have to agree with the post above in a way, SF5 is fun but as it was mentioned before again and again... it needs casual acceptance. Its probably the worst reviewed sf in a long time and its just because of the lack of content. Kinda don't want to write about the same stuff over again... But to me as a Tekken player this whole situation might have a negative impact on the release time of my beloved franchise. Lets say Namco takes a lesson from the entire backlash that is going on around now with sf5, end result we might see T7 even further away on consoles then even our worst expectations. Just a random thought.

GrayFoxPL

Ggs Nuszka. Now I know why ppl are bitching on Fang. Most annoying character in fighting game history.

I rather fight against 100 Blankas then 1 Fang, lol.

Oh and pls don't send me msg while in game on ps4, I can't read them anyway.

I'm starting to regret buying SFV. I'm too weak to play capcom 6 button games. Can't find button config that allows me to do all actions like I want. Hands hurt like hell and after session I feel like I worked in coal mine, it's exhausting.

GrayFoxPL

Get that Android app. Nuszka and I always write messages while playing Tekken :p

I don't have a phone.

I rather ppl not send me psn messages when we fight in tekken or other fighting game. I don't have ps button on my pad so every time I have to call someone to push ps button on dual shock.
Ppl get annoyed and pissed off on me.

Dereck

Street Fighter 5 is already bombing. The casuals I talk to speak of problems like the menu graphics and lifebars not even showing in the game. They can play the game, but it's a mess. People are already reporting used copies of Street Fighter 5 at their local GameStop.
They done fucked up.

To add, the casual audience is not aware of the "patch" model. They have no idea that games are coming out nowadays and "adding" stuff later. They buy a game at full price and expect more.

Tekken, please don't do this shit.

GrayFoxPL

Pretty sure Capcom looked at Killer Instinct and said: "Hey they're making this game in pieces and nobody whines, so we can do too, right?"

Wroooooong.

Harada won't make Ono's mistakes. He's an ol' sly fox.

Maybe these a reason T7 Akuma is clearly stated as a SF4 Akuma. Maybe he knew SFV would be mauled by criticism.

Dereck

I don't know for a fact so I won't say this like I do, but I am guessing that with the last two console releases (6 and Tag) for Tekken games, the games have been fairly complete.

I know that the console release of Tekken 7 is going to be packed with content.

I think Capcom's mistake was making the game full price on a disc, they could have gone the KI route but KI released a free digital game where you could buy characters individually.

AAK

SFV sales tanked??? I did not expect this at all. Things aren't looking good for Fighting Games in the landscape. Unless you go full NRS and make a plethora of game modes ALONG with redesigning AND re-animating every character then your game is probably gonna bomb.

But it really makes me rethink how much money the arcades really do bring in to FG's. I'm looking at Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN and that game looks superior to SFV visually, has more characters than SFV, and has way more single player offerings than SFV. I wonder the difference in budget between the two titles and how much the arcade revenue offset that budget for GGXrd compared to SFV.

Rajang

Capcom seemed very focused on catering to casuals, but they made a game that is very unfriendly toward casual players. They want to get alot of casuals to invest but they dont even have a proper way for them to learn the game. Its either a story mode which is piss easy and doesn't teach them anything or jump straight into online mode to get destroyed. There is no single player content to keep them busy untill their monthly updates. Capcom obviously wanted to go the LoL/F2P route, they see SFV as a service by releasing content every month that players can either unlock through grinding or with real money. But they kind of shot themselves in the foot with releasing SFV in its current state, they scared off alot of casuals.

Also one of the reasons that MKX is doing so well I think, is because its the first big next-gen fighter of the generation. Alot of casual gamers buy maybe one fighting game per generation. They did great with marketing the game as well. I think MKX sold over 5 million units already, which is incredible. I dont see SF and TEKKEN reach MKX sales, even combined sales.

Pachimari

I think it's premature to say that Street Fighter V is bombing or will bomb. This is a long term investment by Sony and Capcom will probably get a huge amount of income through the Zenny model.

Not to say that word of mouth can pick up after the patch and add ons.

This is a game by service so they have time to straighten it up. But by no means is it bombing.

PS: Damn I sound like a Street Fighter fan lol but I really do think all this doom and gloom is premature.

SkylineRKR

SFV has potential to be a game with decent legs. It might do fine in the long run. The fundamentals are really good, once content is being added it might be active and sold through good word of mouth and promotions.

Tekken 7 might reap the rewards if Namco is like 'hey, our game is complete as fuck'. Its pretty much the first 3D fighter on Ps4, unless you count DoA 5 cross gen. I think they need to advertise Tekken as something thats accessible. TTT2 was rather intimidating. I think Tekken 7 looks stellar, and Akuma is very well received also. Might be a hit and I hope so.

GrayFoxPL

Sorry for the msg spam , btw whats the option about a party chat on ps4 with you ?

No problem. No party chat for me. Btw I must find the setting to turn off that notification because every 10 minutes there's big ass pop up about someone on party chat.

sasuke_91

No problem. No party chat for me. Btw I must find the setting to turn off that notification because every 10 minutes there's big ass pop up about someone on party chat.
That annoyed me so much when I borrowed a PS4. I'm playing Bloodborne and suddenly "This person you don't even care about is on party chat" pops up. Just leave me alone! :p

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I just talked with someone who have that OPM magazine and all it is, is hints at possible returning modes and the designers talking about where Tekken VR is headed and not headed.

Dang, nothing neat? I suppose if it was serious news, it wouldn't be confined to one magazine.

Should be a notifications menu in settings that lets you toggle which notifications you do and don't want to see.

cordy

Banned
SFV won't fail with the hardcore, casuals I doubt it as well but rest assured it'll hit it's stride years down the line once more characters, modes and extras come to the game. It's probably going to be one of those games that has a good following later on.l

It's just going to be a rough star since Capcom's done a shitty job for casuals with this one.

Now, this doesn't mean Tekken will follow the same path, I don't have any idea how that game's rollout will be.

Sayah

Hypothetical just between me and my fellow Tekken cronies, If Street Fighter 5 bombs which I highly doubt. Will the FGC pretend like fighting games ceased to exist and Tekken didn't own the genre for like a decade and a half? Those Street Fighter fundamentalist can be so damn grating sometime. "SF IV saved the genre". "SFIV was the rebirth of fighting games" All the while I be like.

fbg7riIw7rViE.gif

Yeah, SFIV didn't save the genre or lead to a re-birth. In fact, I think all the 3D fighters sold less copies after SFIV released than they did before SFIV released. Case in point:

SCIV sales > SCV sales
Tekken 5 sales > Tekken 6 sales > Tekken Tag 2 sales

DoA5 was cross platform and I think it still sold less than DoA4, which was Xbox exclusive (*needs to be confirmed as Itagaki rants are not reliable).

Creaking

Yeah, SFIV didn't save the genre or lead to a re-birth. In fact, I think all the 3D fighters sold less copies after SFIV released than they did before SFIV released. Case in point:

SCIV sales > SCV sales
Tekken 5 sales > Tekken 6 sales > Tekken Tag 2 sales

DoA5 was cross platform and I think it still sold less than DoA4, which was Xbox exclusive (*needs to be confirmed as Itagaki rants are not reliable).

You have to consider that SCV, Tekken Tag 2, and Dead or Alive 5 released in one of the busiest years for fighting games (competing with Street Fighter X Tekken and each other. And UMvC3 came out not too long before.)

Plus SCIV had Star Wars guest characters. I mean, come on. You can't compete with that.

Man, that kind of promotion would be ten times better nowadays. Also... Soul Calibur IV is 8 years old. When did that happen?

Sayah

Dayum. SFV with that 2 star rating on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXJFE08/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Based on what may be abysmal sales, I may have to buy SFV if only to support it in this tough climate.

You have to consider that SCV, Tekken Tag 2, and Dead or Alive 5 released in one of the busiest years for fighting games (competing with Street Fighter X Tekken and each other. And UMvC3 came out not too long before.)

Plus SCIV had Star Wars guest characters. I mean, come on. You can't compete with that.

Man, that kind of promotion would be ten times better nowadays. Also... Soul Calibur IV is 8 years old. When did that happen?

I realize there are other factors to consider.

But again, if SFIV was "the rebirth of the genre" and "saved fighting games", then you wouldn't be seeing declining sales, regardless of these factors. When people want to make farfetched, overly broad claims, then yes those claims need to be shot down with these facts.

C'mon guys. MKX made top 10 in NPD 2015, something SF4 never did in its release years. Fighting games are fine. Even if SFV bombs (it won't), there's more than enough games out here now to take and keep peoples attention both casually and competitively.

Rajang

C'mon guys. MKX made top 10 in NPD 2015, something SF4 never did in its release years. Fighting games are fine. Even if SFV bombs (it won't), there's more than enough games out here now to take and keep peoples attention both casually and competitively.

I agree.

SFxT and UMVC3 had similar bad reputations and they both bombed. It's honestly better for SFV to bomb than to succeed. SFV Bombing will ensure that future FG developers wont try to pull the same bullshit.

Sayah

SFxT and UMVC3 had similar bad reputations and they both bombed. It's honestly better for SFV to bomb than to succeed. SFV Bombing will ensure that future FG developers wont try to pull the same bullshit.

Spend money on incomplete games brehs

You're forgetting even getting this game off the ground is thanks to SONY funding.
SFV failing in sales is going to put a potential SFVI title in jeopardy. I'd rather that not be the case.

If Capcom wasn't ready to invest in SFV, I don't see how they would do it for SFVI especially after abysmal sales.

You're forgetting even getting this game off the ground is thanks to SONY funding.
SFV failing in sales is going to put a potential SFVI title in jeopardy. I'd rather that not be the case.

If Capcom wasn't ready to invest in SFV, I don't see how they would do it for SFVI especially after abysmal sales.
You weren't getting SF6 for another 5+ years if the game succeeded anyway. They were going to milk SF5 forever. You might get SF6 sooner actually if SF5 fails.

Sayah

You weren't getting SF6 for another 5 years if the game succeeded anyway. They were going to milk SF5 forever. You might get SF6 sooner actually if SF5 fails.

I'm talking about the health of the franchise when I reference SFVI.
It's fine if SFV is successful and runs for a few years. They're supporting the game post release with free DLC.

But if SFV fails, then the health of the franchise is at jeopardy.

I'm talking about the health of the franchise when I reference SFVI.
It's fine if SFV is successful and runs for a few years. They're supporting the game post release with free DLC.

But if SFV fails, then the health of the franchise is at jeopardy.
You need to win 2000 online matches to earn enough money to unlock a character, a 1000 for a costume. THAT SHIT AIN'T FREE. It costs you and absurd amount of time. I don't think I've even played 3000 ranked matches of Tag 2 in the past 3 years let alone WON, that many. It's a scheme Sayah, that's all it is.

If you do all the single player content you get around 260,000 FM enough for two characters and one costume. The rest HAS to be grinded out online.

Sayah

You need to win 2000 online matches to earn enough money to unlock a character, a 1000 for a costume. THAT SHIT AIN'T FREE. It costs you and absurd amount of time. I don't think I've even played 3000 ranked matches of Tag 2 in the past 3 years let alone WON, that many. It's a scheme Sayah, that's all it is.

If you do all the single player content you get around 260,000 FM enough for two characters and one costume. The rest HAS to be grinded out online.

It seems like there's daily challenges.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ugh-daily-challenges-and-leveling-characters/

But even so, that's Capcom's greedy nature for you.

I'm mainly in it for supporting the franchise, nothing more.
I mean I would buy Tekken 7 tomorrow if it released in similar fashion with similar DLC practices.

It seems like there's daily challenges.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...ugh-daily-challenges-and-leveling-characters/

But even so, that's Capcom's greedy nature for you.

I'm mainly in it for supporting the franchise, nothing more.
I mean I would buy Tekken 7 tomorrow if it released in similar fashion with similar DLC practices.
There are zero signs of these daily challenges and I doubt they will net you more than 1000 FM which is nothing. That's what level ups get you but it's harder and harder to level up the higher you go. No matter how you slice it the alt costumes plus characters costs 1,400,000 FM to earn and you get 50 FM per win and nothing when you lose. A 1000 here or there means nothing. It's not free, you need to win an absurd amount to unlock all the content. Thousands of hours.

Sayah

There are zero signs of these daily challenges and I doubt they will net you more than 1000 FM which is nothing. That's what level ups get you but it's harder and harder to level up the higher you go. No matter how you slice it the alt costumes plus characters costs 1,400,000 FM to earn and you get 50 FM per win and nothing when you lose. A 1000 here or there means nothing. It's not free, you need to win an absurd amount to unlock all the content. Thousands of hours.

Yeah, I get that - and it's nothing new for Capcom if the daily challenges end up getting you next to nothing in in-game currency.

But I would like to support the game for other reasons - and definitely wouldn't wish failure upon it as it still looks like a solid fighting game.

I mainly care about practice mode, Vs. battle, and online battle so the lack of single player content doesn't bother me. What does bother me is shoddy online netcode.

Creaking

Started playing some Tekken again. First Tag 2, then 6. I was playing both solo, but I found myself doing a lot worse with 6, oddly enough. But maybe the AI was set to a higher difficulty.

Tried using Raven rather than any of my usual mains. That back turn can be a pain to manage, but he's cool. I'd bet he'll coming back for Tekken 7 too. The game is in dire need of any dark skinned characters, and I remember him being fairly involved in the Tekken 6 story.

Might get back online eventually. I haven't played Tekken online since upgrading my internet speed last year, so hopefully it'll be more solid. Still wireless unfortunately, but with a really good router.

Sayah

If you have Verizon FIOS, it's fine to be on wireless.

I was running FIOS wireless and getting 4 bars with Sasuke, who is in Germany.
Running wired cable internet now and getting two bars, lol.

Creaking

Nah, I haven't got that.

Tried some Tekken 6 online. Won two matches, then lost three. I've completely forgotten how to deal with Lili's endless cartwheeling. Need to step my Oki up...

Input lag was horrid at anything below 4 bars though so I'm switching to Tag 2.

Ugh, the texture/material quality of clothes is ass in Tag 2... just something about the lighting model... blegh.

SFV has potential to be a game with decent legs. It might do fine in the long run. The fundamentals are really good, once content is being added it might be active and sold through good word of mouth and promotions.

Tekken 7 might reap the rewards if Namco is like 'hey, our game is complete as fuck'. Its pretty much the first 3D fighter on Ps4, unless you count DoA 5 cross gen. I think they need to advertise Tekken as something thats accessible. TTT2 was rather intimidating. I think Tekken 7 looks stellar, and Akuma is very well received also. Might be a hit and I hope so.

I think Tekken 7 can do really well if it comes out in a timely manner. The hype is there and Namco isn't gonna try an e-sports model I don't think.

Yeah, I get that - and it's nothing new for Capcom if the daily challenges end up getting you next to nothing in in-game currency.

But I would like to support the game for other reasons - and definitely wouldn't wish failure upon it as it still looks like a solid fighting game.

I mainly care about practice mode, Vs. battle, and online battle so the lack of single player content doesn't bother me. What does bother me is shoddy online netcode.

Well considering you can "buy" the first DLC character as soon as he comes out, I'm willing to give Capcom Leeway on their model. What people also fail to realize is that you gain more Fight Money by playing Survival than just playing online anyways. I'm 20,000 away from the next DLC character after Alex and all I've done is complete Story Mode, Two of Ken's survival modes and one of Laura's plus the online matches I've won. You also get Fight Money by leveling characters up.

Looking back its very similar to unlocking Characters in the Krpyt in MK:DA and MK:D except without having to guess which character is where you know exactly what you're getting.

lupinko

Oh I had the best match today, I came back down 0-2 to a King player and I had only a sliver of life left while the King had a full bar. It felt so satisfying. I broke that player's 6 game win streak but they came back and broke my Kat's 4 game streak.

Prior to getting games with Kat and Mama Kaz, I tried Paul in practice, playing with his cancellable RA. I guess I can also play Asuka again too.

I'm trying to play them, along with Dragunov and Lili at home now. While they do have some shared inputs, Bruce and Josie's motions are too different for a newcomer to both characters to just transfer Bruce skills to Josie skills.

I'll still try though.

AllenShrz

Just curious, what are your ranks lupinko?

And I can imagine how good that come back must felt, specially if that King was a scummy *only CH safe moves* on a multi-floor stage... huh... the worst.

Pachimari

You can get about 260.000 FN by completing everybody's story and Survival on easy. If you also do Survival on Hard and Hell you can get up to almost 800.000 FM. Plus you get FM for ranking up your characters and online league.

There's more than 7000 Daily Challenges which will give you FM as well.

I'm totally willing to give Capcom leeway on their model. Why all the negativity towards SFV, I don't get it.

GrayFoxPL

You can get about 260.000 FN by completing everybody's story and Survival on easy. If you also do Survival on Hard and Hell you can get up to almost 800.000 FM. Plus you get FM for ranking up your characters and online league.

There's more than 7000 Daily Challenges which will give you FM as well.

I'm totally willing to give Capcom leeway on their model. Why all the negativity towards SFV, I don't get it.

Lol try survival on hard and hell. Game first bores you with easy opponents then suddenly sends out killers to prevent you to get tho money those last few stages.

Feels like a scam.

Pachimari

Lol try survival on hard and hell. Game first bores you with easy opponents then suddenly sends out killers to prevent you to get tho money those last few stages.

Feels like a scam.
I would say the difficulty is unbalanced and quite frankly broken on those difficulties. My point were just that it is possible to earn a lot of FM now already.

AAK

The sort of realization I'm having right now is about the place fighting games have within the console space. After hearing about SFV's sales I sort of fear that arcades are a prerequisite in order for a Japanese fighting game to be successful. These Japanese FG's will probably never put the effort in content combined with presentation like MKX. Hence I'm thinking that series like Tekken, GG, VF, etc. can continue to live on with the budgets they currently have despite the lack of AAA sales because of the arcade exclusive profits.

I dunno what Capcom must be thinking now with SFV selling worse than SFIV with no arcade sales to fall back on unlike SFIV. And frankly this has me wondering if Tekken will share the same fate once arcades die. When that time comes, will Namco step up and make a package as good as NRS or will it share the same fate as what we're currently seeing with SFV?

I think people are overthinking it. SFV is doing "bad" because its not what people wanted at launch. And word of mouth spreads fast these days. Capcom wanted to release the game before the fiscal year was up and early enough for Capcom Cup. They also wanted an e-sports plan for a $60 game which isn't a good idea when you think about it. They should've looked at KI(but you know besides Kojima no one in Japan looks at western games as proper influences.)

Its an exception. It's doing "bad" because its a different kind of game than typical FG releases.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Forgot what I said. There's nothing TEKKEN related coming soon.

That way, once you have that in your system, you'll just be surprised. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom