• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

It would be cool, if the left side of the main menu of SFV were dedicated to your CFN friend list, so you had a quick glance of who were online and quick access.

Also, I'm saving up for a Hori RAP4 Kai (with Hayabusa stick and buttons) for Street Fighter V. Maybe it'll go better for me in a 2D fighter.

I honestly believe the Tekken community screwed itself from getting new competitive players by blindly banning solo mode out of the game. Namco too for banning it during their global championships.

I was the only one on TZ.com back in 2012 trying to get people to let it rock before jumping to conclusions.

I was in that "no solo" camp too. "ITS A TAG GAME IT SHOULD BE TAG ONLY EVERYONE IS JUST GONNA PLAY SOLO"

Yeeaah lol

AllenShrz

Gave it a chance but today I decided to drop the stick training , 4 weeks and I still was dropping inputs here and there. This morning my fang game in sf5 has improved so much just using the ds4 , instant standing jab into CA is something I needed for the punishing game with that character , oh and the mix ups are definitely better now as well as I can concentrate on the match itself not on using the arcade stick , btw add me anyone here for a view games cfn same as everything else, will be back from work in about 4 hours for some games .

Don't give up the stick yet
lol sounds weird

What I have been finding out it that for SF I need to grab it differently, I just use the thumb and index finger for SF but for tekken I use a bit of the palm, I if were to use only those 2 fingers for tekken I cant perform the simplest of combos and EGFWs are out of the question.

LowParry

Gave it a chance but today I decided to drop the stick training , 4 weeks and I still was dropping inputs here and there. This morning my fang game in sf5 has improved so much just using the ds4 , instant standing jab into CA is something I needed for the punishing game with that character , oh and the mix ups are definitely better now as well as I can concentrate on the match itself not on using the arcade stick , btw add me anyone here for a view games cfn same as everything else, will be back from work in about 4 hours for some games .

I don't think you'll be able to pick up and be great with a stick in just 4 weeks. You're basically training your hands for muscle memory. It takes a lot of time. A few or so months if that and you'll be okay at it.

You playing Fang...I wouldn't enjoy ranked either lol.
I play FANG also. Mostly because Chun-Li is just too cheap in this game. Maybe I am a masochist, but I just had to pick another character. I wasn't feeling like I earned victories with Chun.

FANG is a fun challenge because you can not make a mistake with him. He really pushes me to keep my anti-airs and punishes a top priority. As frustrating as I am sure opponents get. It is just as frustrating as a FANG player. His poison does such weak damage and one mistake pretty much costs you the round.

I would be fine with the whole, "Play Tag because it's tag 2!" if there was a solo Tekken with good online to go too. Even Tag 2 Solo just doesn't feel like solo Tekken. As much as it sickens me to wait, I already know I will be cheek to cheek is smiles to finally play Tekken 7. I gave Tag a shot because of all the vets who hyped it, but I simply like solo Tekken better.

MarkMan is now Business Development Manager for gaming at EVO. Before Lupe vs Daigo I would have been happy about this news, but I am just not anymore. With such a bad look it gave the FGC from anyone not in the FGC choir. I can't help but feel scared for the future of the genre. Because it may not be a thing of the FGC finally becoming e-sports, but e-sports taking over the FGC. Letting the fame and celebrity take from us that which we hold most dear. If it makes me shunned to say it, then so be it.

MarkMan is now Business Development Manager for gaming at EVO. Before Lupe vs Daigo I would have been happy about this news, but I am just not anymore. With such a bad look it gave the FGC from anyone not in the FGC choir. I can't help but feel scared for the future of the genre. Because it may not be a thing of the FGC finally becoming e-sports, but e-sports taking over the FGC. Letting the fame and celebrity take from us that which we hold most dear. If it makes me shunned to say it, then so be it.

Bad Look?

sasuke_91

Lol. I just watched a Street Fighter 5 video SquirrelSoup shared on PSN, Cammy vs Laura. And who did he play against? Adnanish, one of the best Tekken players in Europe :D

By the way guys, there's one thing I wanted to know your opinion on. It's what I call "Mishima player elitism" and I experienced it quite a lot. Mishima players who think that every other character is cheap and gimmicky and rage quit whenever you do something that he thinks is not okay. Let me elaborate.

There was this one guy I invited once when I played with GrayFoxPL. Forgot his name. He insulted GrayFoxPL because he "spammed PAB moves" with Steve. When I played Xiaoyu he asked how I could play such a scrubby character and asked me to not play her again. He quit after a few matches. Another time I was playing with a friend and another Mishima player. In a clutch situation my friend used Snake Edge. The other player didn't block and he won the round. After the match the other player quit and sent a PSN message "Snake Edge? Really?" although nobody said a word when he used Heihachi's db+2 over and over again (because it was actually appropriate).
Mishimas are considered the best characters in the game. They have the best punishers and the best 50/50 mixup for pressure. They don't even need any crushing properties (in my opinion) because their moves are insanely fast. They have no problems using Hellsweeps three times in a row but using Xiaoyu's SS3 is considered srubby since "it's so slow". All that with the one excuse that Mishimas have a very high execution barrier. So I'm allowed to play like that but whine when my opponent does the same just because I have the better execution? Sorry, but I don't see the point.
Of course I'm not trying to generalize. Just talking about a few players who I consider hypocrites in this case. Did any of you have a similar experience with Mishima elitists?

Rajang

By the way guys, there's one thing I wanted to know your opinion on. It's what I call "Mishima player elitism" and I experienced it quite a lot. Mishima players who think that every other character is cheap and gimmicky and rage quit whenever you do something that he thinks is not okay.Let me elaborate.

There was this one guy I invited once when I played with GrayFoxPL. Forgot his name. He insulted GrayFoxPL because he "spammed PAB moves" with Steve. When I played Xiaoyu he asked how I could play such a scrubby character and asked me to not play her again. He quit after a few matches. Another time I was playing with a friend and another Mishima player. In a clutch situation my friend used Snake Edge. The other player didn't block and he won the round. After the match the other player quit and sent a PSN message "Snake Edge? Really?" although nobody said a word when he used Heihachi's db+2 over and over again (because it was actually appropriate).
Mishimas are considered the best characters in the game. They have the best punishers and the best 50/50 mixup for pressure. They don't even need any crushing properties (in my opinion) because their moves are insanely fast. They have no problems using Hellsweeps three times in a row but using Xiaoyu's SS3 is considered srubby since "it's so slow". All that with the one excuse that Mishimas have a very high execution barrier. So I'm allowed to play like that but whine when my opponent does the same just because I have the better execution? Sorry, but I don't see the point.
Of course I'm not trying to generalize. Just talking about a few players who I consider hypocrites in this case. Did any of you have a similar experience with Mishima elitists?

Yes, completely agree. I have noticed this alot as well. Rage mail on PSN and alot on YouTube, according to the ragers EVERY character is cheap except for Mishima's. It also doesnt help one of the bigger TEKKEN youtubers is always on a very high horse because he uses Mishima's. Constantly saying X or Y character is cheap and requires "0 skill to use" for the damage they do, bla bla bla. And you see his rabid fanboys copying his attitude and shitting on every single character that is not a Mishima if they lose to them. He perpetuates that Mishima elitism with his holier than thou attitude.

"Ugh! Another 0 skill Law player. Learn a real character. Dragon tail is so cheap!" - Meanwhile he spams Hell Sweep 3 times in a row to close a round.

kermit.jpg

I love watching good Mishima players but it really annoys me that so many of them are so toxic.

Nuszka

I play FANG also. Mostly because Chun-Li is just too cheap in this game. Maybe I am a masochist, but I just had to pick another character. I wasn't feeling like I earned victories with Chun.

FANG is a fun challenge because you can not make a mistake with him. He really pushes me to keep my anti-airs and punishes a top priority. As frustrating as I am sure opponents get. It is just as frustrating as a FANG player. His poison does such weak damage and one mistake pretty much costs you the round.

Pretty much why I chose him, a character that you need to put a lot of work as he is the lowest damage dealer in the game. Itwas really hard at the start, I was tempted to go the easy route with anyone else so often, but the wins are so much more enjoyable this way.

Fang is bound to be ragequitted all the time.
I remember you writing that you hate playing against him just learning a view things about Fang makes him so easy do deal with, fact that he dosent have a standing overhead is frustrating so up close you don't have many 50/50 mix up games, creative not guaranteed damage is the way to go. Another thing - his cross up with jHK at first i thought its awesome but ends up being in my opinion the worst cross up tool in the game, first of you need to commit as with this attack the hit box switches sides, on top of things his jump arch is so easy to telegraph. Poison deals to little damage to be worried about , his V Trigger is pretty much useless the only thing i see for it us for combos while activating it. His skill set is best tailored to play against beginners.
In all that he does have positive aspects to him, good keep away game, range, footsies and anti air tools

Edit: in a Tekken releated note , i can't wait for the first lobby and a party chat conversations with some of you here in regards to T7.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

Hi. I don't think you should connect the Lupe/Daigo promotion with Capcom/GameStop in the same bucket as business development for EVO. They are not the same thing.

Also, you don't have any visibility as to what goes on in the background for making EVO happen, making TEKKEN happen or let alone anything that I've worked on the past 8 years.

Again, Lupe/Daigo event has nothing to do with what I do as a mainstay.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Congrats MM, always got a job on deck as you should lol.

Thanks but EVO is not my job. It's actually something I've been doing for years, just now in a more focused/official capacity. It's just one of the things I do on the side. I haven't announced what my new job is yet.

GrayFoxPL

The game is still so badass looking. Way ahead of it's time.

T6 looks > Tag2&Vanilla T7

Thanks but EVO is not my job. It's actually something I've been doing for years, just now in a more focused/official capacity. It's just one of the things I do on the side. I haven't announced what my new job is yet.

Ruler of the Mishima Zaibatsu obviously.

GrayFoxPL

Lol. I just watched a Street Fighter 5 video SquirrelSoup shared on PSN, Cammy vs Laura. And who did he play against? Adnanish, one of the best Tekken players in Europe :D

By the way guys, there's one thing I wanted to know your opinion on. It's what I call "Mishima player elitism" and I experienced it quite a lot. Mishima players who think that every other character is cheap and gimmicky and rage quit whenever you do something that he thinks is not okay. Let me elaborate.

Didn't remember any Mishima elitist. Maybe Mainman can be like that.
Everyone knows I hate some characters, that doesn't mean I don't respect the players. If someone destroys me with Alisa I'm really impressed because I know player has to work hard for the win.

I don't know why there even are Mishima elitists. I love those characters but they aren't really hard to play, crouch dash has every second character and electric is the only difficult thing to do. You could argue if Law's perfect jf dss, Drags iwr 2 or Nina's butterfly loop isn't harder. It's just a specific thing not a rocket science.

I remember you writing that you hate playing against him just learning a view things about Fang makes him so easy do deal with, fact that he dosent have a standing overhead is frustrating so up close you don't have many 50/50 mix up games, creative not guaranteed damage is the way to go. Another thing - his cross up with jHK at first i thought its awesome but ends up being in my opinion the worst cross up tool in the game, first of you need to commit as with this attack the hit box switches sides, on top of things his jump arch is so easy to telegraph. Poison deals to little damage to be worried about , his V Trigger is pretty much useless the only thing i see for it us for combos while activating it. His skill set is best tailored to play against beginners.
In all that he does have positive aspects to him, good keep away game, range, footsies and anti air tools

Edit: in a Tekken releated note , i can't wait for the first lobby and a party chat conversations with some of you here in regards to T7.

Sorry for the Fang bitching. I don't know how that insane crossup can be bad. But I only just licked the game, so I don't know much about any matchups let alone Fang specifics. Fang is just overwhelming because like with all freaky characters you don't even know what too look out for let alone figure out how to fight him.

One correction - Fang doesn't spread poison, he spreads salt, lol.

Btw. only now from those official tutorials I got the knowledge that Kens mp shoryuken is invincible or triggered tatsumaki is invincible to fireballs. Wtf could have used this info way earlier.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yes, completely agree. I have noticed this alot as well. Rage mail on PSN and alot on YouTube, according to the ragers EVERY character is cheap except for Mishima's. It also doesnt help one of the bigger TEKKEN youtubers is always on a very high horse because he uses Mishima's. Constantly saying X or Y character is cheap and requires "0 skill to use" for the damage they do, bla bla bla. And you see his rabid fanboys copying his attitude and shitting on every single character that is not a Mishima if they lose to them. He perpetuates that Mishima elitism with his holier than thou attitude.

"Ugh! Another 0 skill Law player. Learn a real character. Dragon tail is so cheap!" - Meanwhile he spams Hell Sweep 3 times in a row to close a round.

kermit.jpg

I love watching good Mishima players but it really annoys me that so many of them are so toxic.

TMM has always been whiny as fuck, to be fair. It's like his gimmick or something.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The game is still so badass looking. Way ahead of it's time.

T6 looks > Tag2&Vanilla T7

The lighting and texture/bump mapping is just great. Modelling too, in terms of how clothes fit on characters and how some smaller details look. Texture and model quality in stages can be pretty bad though. Plus all of those console jaggies.

Still, changing a default color on Miguel's outfit to leopard print and having it actually look fuzzy (rather than looking like a sticker with flat lighting) is awesome.

Tekken 6 with slightly better assets for stages and cleaned up IQ would look really good.

Nuszka

Sorry for the Fang bitching. I don't know how that insane crossup can be bad.

It's just the way his hit box works, with every other character if you do a crossup and there is a chance they move a bit back it might still hit them from the front , with fang if you press jHK his legs and body move te opposite way exposing him greatly for any damage, on top of that his jump arch dosent help either as it's easy to predict a crossup as I learned the hard way playing higher level players , I basically stopped doing cross ups whatsoever. Tbh maybe I'm just playing him wrong , who knows , still a lot to learn. Need to play something it's not like I can play t7 (still on topic lol). Counting days for dark souls 3 though.

GrayFoxPL

Something else.

I'm really annoyed by one "trend" in modern fighting games. Loading times. Fuck it's like I'm back on my commodore 64 swinging cassette tapes.

You can say that T7 is syncing online rather then load assets but notice how rematches are on once picked single stage, because it's probably it takes too long to load next. Youtube videos are damn 3 hour sessions on a single stage, makes me sick.

Street Fighter V has awful loading times as well, and it's not about syncing, just loading a damn simple stage. They gone even up to the point where in default you can't pick a character, just set one that console will load for online fights and it still takes long to load.

Fucking character select takes so long, they removed it outside lobbies, it's hilarious and sad.

I'm asking - where's the optimization? Now it's like devs give no shit how long shit loads as long as it loads. Regression.

AAK

DOA5 is just ridiculous. It can load a different stage with the same characters wearing completely different outfits with 0 load times.

Dereck

The lighting and texture/bump mapping is just great. Modelling too, in terms of how clothes fit on characters and how some smaller details look. Texture and model quality in stages can be pretty bad though. Plus all of those console jaggies.

Still, changing a default color on Miguel's outfit to leopard print and having it actually look fuzzy (rather than looking like a sticker with flat lighting) is awesome.

Tekken 6 with slightly better assets for stages and cleaned up IQ would look really good.

Didn't remember any Mishima elitist. Maybe Mainman can be like that.
Everyone knows I hate some characters, that doesn't mean I don't respect the players. If someone destroys me with Alisa I'm really impressed because I know player has to work hard for the win.

I don't know why there even are Mishima elitists. I love those characters but they aren't really hard to play, crouch dash has every second character and electric is the only difficult thing to do. You could argue if Law's perfect jf dss, Drags iwr 2 or Nina's butterfly loop isn't harder. It's just a specific thing not a rocket science.

Sorry for the Fang bitching. I don't know how that insane crossup can be bad. But I only just licked the game, so I don't know much about any matchups let alone Fang specifics. Fang is just overwhelming because like with all freaky characters you don't even know what too look out for let alone figure out how to fight him.

One correction - Fang doesn't spread poison, he spreads salt, lol.

Btw. only now from those official tutorials I got the knowledge that Kens mp shoryuken is invincible or triggered tatsumaki is invincible to fireballs. Wtf could have used this info way earlier.
People talk about wanting Tag 2 ported to the PS4, I would prefer Tekken 6 or 4 to be ported over with Tag 2's netcode quickly.

Rajang

Let them focus on porting FR to consoles please. Instead of having to port an old Tekken game, that will delay development even further.

DOA5 is a fun game with some depth to it it's really not that bad. And yes the loading times are amazing and not that bad online either.

Technically speaking DOA has always been good with the visuals (character models not included) and load times.
I hope Tekken 7's load times aren't too bad then again it can't be worse than 6.

AAK

Tekken is now the only fighting game series that has to reload the entire game again when doing a rematch. It's really sucky :(

EDIT: I forgot GGXrd introduced it too despite +R being instant.

Sayah

Let them focus on porting FR to consoles please. Instead of having to port an old Tekken game, that will delay development even further.

They can always outsource the port to some other company. That's what ends up happening with most of these remasters.

And considering that the Tekken Project is also working on/has recently worked on Summer Lesson, Project Treasure, Tekken X Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros. 4 + post release DLC + rumored port to Nintendo NX, Rise of Incarnates, and Pokken Tournament along with Tekken 7, fitting in Tekken 6 remastered should happen too.

Creaking

They can always outsource the port to some other company. That's what ends up happening with most of these remasters.

And considering that the Tekken Project is also working on/has recently worked on Summer Lesson, Project Treasure, Tekken X Street Fighter, Super Smash Bros. 4 + post release DLC + rumored port to Nintendo NX, Rise of Incarnates, and Pokken Tournament along with Tekken 7, fitting in Tekken 6 remastered should happen too.

They were able to put out Tekken Tag HD without any apparent delays to Tekken Tag 2. Smaller/less detailed game, but still...

They even included a little demo of Tag 2 to sate and tantalize.

I'd love to see Bluepoint work on a Tekken 6 remaster. I just wanna see Tekken 6 with some anti-aliasing and a decent resolution.

Sayah

Since Namco is repurposing old VA for Tekken 7, this line would be good for Anna's intro pose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkLiITU1kQ0#t=1m58s

This line would be good for when Nina defeats an Anna opponent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkLiITU1kQ0#t=3m36s

They were able to put out Tekken Tag HD without any apparent delays to Tekken Tag 2. Smaller/less detailed game, but still...

They even included a little demo of Tag 2 to sate and tantalize.

I'd love to see Bluepoint work on a Tekken 6 remaster. I just wanna see Tekken 6 with some anti-aliasing and a decent resolution.

Yep. Same.

Updated netcode, higher resolution. Would love, love love it.

I love Tekken 6.

They don't even have to remaster Scenario Campaign, as I don't think anyone actually cares about that portion of the game.

Creaking

Yep. Same.

Updated netcode, higher resolution. Would love, love love it.

I love Tekken 6.

They don't even have to remaster Scenario Campaign, as I don't think anyone actually cares about that portion of the game.

confused-full.jpg

How else am I gonna afford my customs?

Rajang

Hmm, I would love a Tekken collection by Bluepoint Games.

Or maybe even a Tekken legacy collection with all the mainline titles in one package. Althought remastering Tekken 3 could be a problem because of the Gon license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom