• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayFoxPL

Lol "I ragequited because trophy". Who gives a shit about your trophy? You are harassed somehow? You brought the shame on yourself, nobody did this for you, so stop crying and acting up like a victim.

ShinMaruku

They got me intrested with Josie and Chloe but still have a ways to wait unless these guys are gonna have 13 month beta program with if so I won't mind the wait.

Skilletor

Lol "I ragequited because trophy". Who gives a shit about your trophy? You are harassed somehow? You brought the shame on yourself, nobody did this for you, so stop crying and acting up like a victim.

Ragequitting. Srs. Business.

What does any of this have to do with the question he asked, btw?

lol @ "brought shame on yourself."

Have we heard from Harada and his team what kind of approach Tekken 7 will take to educating newcomers?

Harada has talked multiple times in the past about wanting to teach players how to play Tekken through a single player mode Fight Lab was their first attempt at this.

He also mentioned recently about wanting to develop conpetent fighting game AI that can help teach players how to learn the game.

Dereck

I look forward to recording shit from my PS4 directly and not having to use an HDMI splitter and a capture card to record shit. Fuck outta here antiquated methods.

sasuke_91

Harada has talked multiple times in the past about wanting to teach players how to play Tekken through a single player mode Fight Lab was their first attempt at this.

He also mentioned recently about wanting to develop conpetent fighting game AI that can help teach players how to learn the game.
Anime fighters have great tutorials. I played the BlazBlue tutorial and it teaches you a lot about its mechanics.

Good games SquirrelSoup! T6 is definitely the game for you. Suits your playstyle way better than Tag.
I have to change my playstyle for T6. In TTT2 I go for launchers and high damage combos and totally forget about lows and throws. In T6 you definitely have to use those a lot to win. No idea why I couldn't block Lili's sweep though. I saw it everytime.
Playing T6 might make me a better TTT2 player as well.
The connection was solid, except for that one disconnect and the heavy lagspikes sometimes. We should play T6 more often. Right now I have a lot more fun playing that than I have with TTT2.

Good games, Sasuke! Like i said, i got T6 today because it's the one game i hadn't played yet and i felt like i was missing something. Wish i had gotten a PS3 for it back when it came out tbh. This would have blown my mind. The stages and music are so nice.

(Dat Lili costume doe. Oh my. )

1v1 is so much more fun for me.

Rajang

Have we heard from Harada and his team what kind of approach Tekken 7 will take to educating newcomers?

I've always loved Tekken cast and characters, but I'm ass. Granted my learning started with Tekken 6 when SF4 hit, so I am an 09er in regards to learning fighters. I feel I have had great growth in the 2D fighting plane, and the only 3D fighter I could win consistently in was SC5...but with Devil Jin. So, yeah.

Tekken 7 just looks gorgeous. I love that they added supers. Love that Akuma is in it.

Will it be easier to get into and learn ? That's my issue. When I hear the 1 2 2 1, etc strings, Korean dashs, the timing for EWGF, etc I feel like "man I'd need a life time to get that good." SF5 took a great approach in the fighting to get rid of the 1 frame nonsense so I can DO combos, refocus on footsies, etc.

I can definitely go online to video research tutorials when it comes out, but if the game is poised for a more "hardcore" kind of fighting game fan, then I'll be bummed as I'd love to take T7 seriously when it arrives next year.

Harada has mentioned a couple of times that they are trying to make Tekken 7 easier to get into, here's an example: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...ause-it-was-too-difficult-learn-2-characters/

He also had a talk at PSX together with Ono and Seth Killian how they are all trying to bring in more casual players into their games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-cKCd6SNA

Also I dont think there is a character in Tekken that you need to learn first, like most new SF players are advised to pickup Ryu first. You should just pickup a character you are interested in. But in the beginning it may be best to stay away from characters like Devil Jin (or other Mishima's) for example because they are the most execution heavy characters. Strings and combos in Tekken are not difficult to pull off at all, the most difficult aspect of Tekken is the movement. Execution is very easy for the most part except for a handful of characters. So, just pick a character you really like.

And the 1,2,2,1 stuff is the standard Tekken notations. Tekken is a 4 button game:

1 = Left Punch
2 = Right Punch
3 = Left Kick
4 = Right Kick

I think MK has almost a similar notation. If you want to learn Tekken it is advised that you are familar with the notation.

Also, dont be discouraged by the big moveslist. You dont need to use every single move, you just need to know the bread n butter for your character and focus on those.

And stuff like korean backdash cancel, I wouldnt worry about that right now. That is the advanced stuff. I would focus on whiff punishing and very basic movement first. Aris has a few good Tekken tutorial videos on youtube as well, talking about movement in Tekken. Here is one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

lupinko

T6 is the best 1v1 Tekken in my opinion (of course I haven't played T7 yet).

I just noticed that Lili's intro and win poses in T7 are just her T6 ones in French...

Well yeah, until FR anyway.

Vanilla 7 is/was just a long ass beta test/early access game.

Edit: My two cents to get easy wins in Tekken 7.

1) Learn King
2) Learn Paul
3) Learn Shaheen
4) Learn Claudio
5) See 1-4

Manbig

what happened to the old one? im going to pick up a HD pro when I can.

I think it fried. I had it in a spot where sunlight might have been able to hit it, so I think that might have done some damage. If that wasn't it, then it just randomly crapped out on me for no reason.

Most people would not recommend a Mishima character like Kazuya because of their strict execution requirements (bit of a deceiving main character like Akira in VF), despite their overall gameplan being very basic. Jin will definitely teach you some fundamentals. Paul, Jack and Dragunov are probably the easiest to come to grips with in terms of doing everything they can do. Lili, Asuka, Lars, Feng are easy to pick up but can teach you bad habits.

The cool thing about Tekken though, once you "get" it, you can pick almost anyone and be competent.

I'm glad Paul and Dragunov are on your list of "easier" to start with. I really dug Paul in TTT2 and SFxT. Dragunov looks visually pleasing to me in T7 as well.

Try avoiding Kaz, DJ and Hei, for movement don't use sway characters as well at the start like Paul, Bryan or Nina. I would skip also ones that have a lot of different stances like Hwo or Lei. Characters that come to my head that are easy to learn are Jinpachi, Lilly, Alisa.

What about Steve Fox?

I would love to see what they cook up. Like an AI programmed to throw more often to get you good at teching in the fight.

Harada has mentioned a couple of times that they are trying to make Tekken 7 easier to get into, here's an example: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/...ause-it-was-too-difficult-learn-2-characters/

He also had a talk at PSX together with Ono and Seth Killian how they are all trying to bring in more casual players into their games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw-cKCd6SNA

Also I dont think there is a character in Tekken that you need to learn first, like most new SF players are advised to pickup Ryu first. You should just pickup a character you are interested in. But in the beginning it may be best to stay away from characters like Devil Jin (or other Mishima's) for example because they are the most execution heavy characters. Strings and combos in Tekken are not difficult to pull off at all, the most difficult aspect of Tekken is the movement. Execution is very easy for the most part except for a handful of characters. So, just pick a character you really like.

And the 1,2,2,1 stuff is the standard Tekken notations. Tekken is a 4 button game:

1 = Left Punch
2 = Right Punch
3 = Left Kick
4 = Right Kick

I think MK has almost a similar notation. If you want to learn Tekken it is advised that you are familar with the notation.

Also, dont be discouraged by the big moveslist. You dont need to use every single move, you just need to know the bread n butter for your character and focus on those.

And stuff like korean backdash cancel, I wouldnt worry about that right now. That is the advanced stuff. I would focus on whiff punishing and very basic movement first. Aris has a few good Tekken tutorial videos on youtube as well, talking about movement in Tekken. Here is one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

Post of the year. I'm going to hit these up tomorrow morning. Love Aris so this should be interesting.

Super excited to see what Ono and S.Kill commented with him too.

Thank you!

AI that teaches you the game can be such a great idea. Imagine a single player mode where your opponent has some sort of fatal weakness or pattern that real people have that you need to discover and exploit. It can be as simple as this AI opponent keeps doing hopkicks and you have to win by punishing them properly.

Can Namco just come out and confirm they're producing something along the lines of SF Assassin's Fist or the MK web series' to promote the console release of Tekken 7 where they have this guy play every character.
I'm also waiting for him to tap the female character pool. I wanna see his inner Anna!
Not worth the money. They are better off producing high quality story related CG trailers.

AllenShrz

Edit: My two cents to get easy wins in Tekken 7.

1) Learn King
2) Learn Paul
3) Learn Shaheen
4) Learn Claudio
5) See 1-4

I would say:
Shaheen
King
Bryan

And you have troubles with Claudio? That one is super easy, it is a very limited character IMO. His move set is too short and somewhat unsafe.

lupinko

I would say:
Shaheen
King
Bryan

And you have troubles with Claudio? That one is super easy, it is a very limited character IMO. His move set is too short and somewhat unsafe.

I have to play really safe against Claudio's, it could just be me finding him really annoying more than anything.

T6 is the best 1v1 Tekken in my opinion (of course I haven't played T7 yet).

I just noticed that Lili's intro and win poses in T7 are just her T6 ones in French...

you guys are playing T6 now? I can play tonight if you and squirrel soup are down. but the last time I played 6 was when I was playing TTT2 heavily and drag was pretty different in 6.

AllenShrz

I have to play really safe against Claudio's, it could just be me finding him really annoying more than anything.

Against him I try to make him whiff.

Is he coming running with his fist? Duck.
Now he knows that I duck and now hes trying to stop and do a CH or his launch kick? Sidestep and punish.
He's becoming desperate? He's going for lows now, luckily his lows are slow and punishable.

Claudio cant be in your face because his attacks do push back and since Claudio really lacks diversity, he whiffs a lot. He's not like Law, Leo or Kazumi than can attack and be close at the same time without effort

sasuke_91

@Rajang: Great post!

Were you referring to the "best 1v1 Tekken" part of my post? Of course I haven't played any version of T7, so I can't say anything about that. I'm excited for the game, but I'm sick of waiting.
If you were referring to the part about intro and win poses, then... yeah, I was talking about T7 FR.

What about Steve Fox?

Steve is a unique character. He won't teach you how to play other characters and playing other characters won't teach you how to play Steve.
He's also one of the harder characters in the game. Lots of stances with stance transitions and cancels for mix-up. His combos are a little easier in T7 than in T6/TTT2

you guys are playing T6 now? I can play tonight if you and squirrel soup are down. but the last time I played 6 was when I was playing TTT2 heavily and drag was pretty different in 6.

I saw Squirrel play T6 yesterday so I jumped in. I'm down anytime.

lupinko

Were you referring to the "best 1v1 Tekken" part of my post? Of course I haven't played any version of T7, so I can't say anything about that. I'm excited for the game, but I'm sick of waiting.
If you were referring to the part about intro and win poses, then... yeah, I was talking about T7 FR.

Steve is a unique character. He won't teach you how to play other characters and playing other characters won't teach you how to play Steve.
He's also one of the harder characters in the game. Lots of stances with stance transitions and cancels for mix-up. His combos are a little easier in T7 than in T6/TTT2

I was talking about the win poses!

Sweet! and don't forgot Persona man! just hit me up and I'm game. Just sucks i work long hours

Nuszka

Did a mistake by turning on TTT2 for a view online games, and omg how much faster the matchmaking is in that game compared to sf5 its literally around 10-15 sec to get a game , connections are awesome and way better as well, don't even get me started on the loading times. Think I'm gonna take a break from SF5 until the update, its kinda embarrassing looking at this as a current gen title.

GrayFoxPL

Did a mistake by turning on TTT2 for a view online games, and omg how much faster the matchmaking is in that game compared to sf5 its literally around 10-15 sec to get a game , connections are awesome and way better as well, don't even get me started on the loading times. Think I'm gonna take a break from SF5 until the update, its kinda embarrassing looking at this as a current gen title.

Yeah, the state SFV was released in is embarrassing. That game needs a year of development time more.

https://youtu.be/_SHV__aXij4

4ZUkd6N.gif

looks like Paul is my guy in T7.
i usually would play Marshall but man I want dat Forest Law after TTT2

Ok Sasuke, thanks for the games. I'm super rusty at Tekken 6 Drag is missing some stuff, but I'm down to play some more tomorrow if your game. Squirrel you rekt me, jeez I've got to step up my game.

Love T5DR. Most of the cast was stupid good in that game. How balance should be done. Though turtling was particularly powerful in that game.

Is online better in TTT2?

It wasn't as balanced as BR or Tag 2 but it was balanced pretty well. Tracking was a huge issue in DR though & jesus christ were the top tier super good. Mishmas, King, Anna, Bryan, Julia, Ganryu,

Good games, Sasuke, speedwagon.

Netcode was pretty rough today sadly ;/

Ok Sasuke, thanks for the games. I'm super rusty at Tekken 6 Drag is missing some stuff, but I'm down to play some more tomorrow if your game. Squirrel you rekt me, jeez I've got to step up my game.

Eh, i'm sure you could have gotten a better read on me after a few more matches. ^.^

It wasn't as balanced as BR or Tag 2 but it was balanced pretty well. Tracking was a huge issue in DR though & jesus christ were the top tier super good. Mishmas, King, Anna, Bryan, Julia, Ganryu,
I agree with all that, yeah. But DR just felt better designed and was more popular? I felt like you saw a better variety of characters played at DR tourneys than T6, and it wasn't as overly complicated as Tag 2.

It could be just nostalgia and its amazing OST talking to me better. Eh, I just really liked that game.

The netcode in T5DR was absolutely terrible. TTT2 has great netcode, the game barely lags.
I was asking if TTT2's netcode has gotten any better over the last couple of days. It's been pretty bad lately.

sasuke_91

Good games SquirrelSoup and speedwagon. I actually managed to block a few more sweeps this time Suirrel :p
speedwagon you just have to practice those combos. You launched me quite a few times (I always stepped into your launcher after Dragunov's d+2, no idea why I did that) but couldn't really get any damage out of it. T6 is different from TTT2 and I also have some problems doing combos with Hwoarang, but you'll figure it out. And I know you're rusty, so there's no need to apologize.
Squirrel you played great today as well. Those pokes really get me, especially at the wall. And you know Xiaoyu's shenanigans, so I had a hard time with her as well. She lacks some moves and properties in T6 that I always use in TTT2. You have to pracitce playing against Hwoarang though. His strings got you all the time and he has some easily duckable moves.

Netcode was pretty rough today sadly ;/

Yeah. Those disconnects were really weird...

I agree with all that, yeah. But DR just felt better designed and was more popular? I felt like you saw a better variety of characters played at DR tourneys than T6, and it wasn't as overly complicated as Tag 2.

It could be just nostalgia and its amazing OST talking to me better. Eh, I just really liked that game.

I was asking if TTT2's netcode has gotten any better over the last couple of days. It's been pretty bad lately.

my bad, i was unaware. haven't played TTT2 in a minute.

sasuke_91

This looks really good!

You guys are playing T6 or DR today?

I'm in if anyone wants to play. Just pick a time and I'll see if I'm available.

I think with this new PS4 update It could be super easy to plan game days on ps4, has anyone made a TekkenGAF community on psn yet?

Yeah it could be easy, we just need a Tekken game on PS4 :p
I don't think anyone has created a TekkenGAF community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom