• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayah

I completely 100% agree with you on the tourney stuff not mattering to more people and the people wanting the game. What I don't agree with is the arcade operators portion since T7 has done so well chances are they don't need that especially considering the same money that T7 made was used to bring FR to their arcades in the first place. T7 did gangbusters money-wise. Arcade operators don't hold a gun to Namco's head in this case because T7 is doing amazing.

Also the WizardWorld tourneys nah, I don't think Namco's like Capcom in which they're structuring an entire game around a major tourney like that which hasn't released. Knowing these guys they'll release it when is and that's contributed to the fact that they're not bring T7FR to every major tourney they can.

Again, the only thing I agree with is how most of this tourney, around the world play T7FR for arcade stuff doesn't help most of us and the fact we've waited this long with no info. Not only is that a bad business model but that's exactly why a lot of companies shoot themselves in the foot. We want to hear info on how the console versions are being developed, what's being planned and exactly how things are coming along. Even if Namco gives us an update every 2 weeks with something as similar as "we're adjusting the costumes" we'd be fine but we need actual updates. Nobody wants to be in the dark about stuff like this especially when you have a game coming out. Look at how SFV sold. It didn't have extra content attached to it like Tekken games but what's even more striking is the fact that it didn't have Arcade or a VS CPU. Sure, Capcom might have said something about it weeks prior to release but most of the public had no idea of it considering they randomly threw it out there before release, people bought the game not knowing that.

The point I'm making is unless they start having a rollout where we know what'll be in the game then we could have bad sales due to the fact that most won't know. You can't spring that upon people like that, it's bad business.

lol you really think arcade owners have a mindset of "we already profited enough off of vanilla T7....no worries namco, you go ahead and release FR only 5 months after we purchase multiple $15,000 cabinets from you."

In regards to SFV, Capcom wanted the game to release before an event. In T7's case, it's the opposite. They are holding trade show type events to showcase the game and there wouldn't be any reason for having those after the game releases. So I'm expecting November 2016 at earliest and even that's being way too optimistic.

I think this is hitting you guys hard because you folks were still so invested in Tekken through TTT2's timeline. I've abandoned hope for a while now so I'm not really anticipating "good" news ever. But whenever I do see a gaming side Tekken thread or when I periodically check here, I sometimes feel a bit of joy (not today though ha).

Don't watch their streams, don't follow their tweets. Make them know you're no longer interested. Otherwise, they have you right where they want you... helping spread hype with your uber anticipation skills.

That's what I've been doing......ignoring the game. I tuned in last night because the "major announcement" tease piqued my curiosity. And I wish I hadn't tuned in because I only left madder. I have absolutely zero interest in watching the game being played for another year. I think the number of stream views is also indicative that other people hold similar sentiments.

Tekken 7 was starting to reach 10,000-20,000 views after the FR reveal. And then everyone realized this game is releasing in July 2016 in arcades and we'll be waiting another long year before we even get to play it. And all interest died down.

Nina was the last thing to hype me up - and even that was a practical lie. They held off releasing her in vanilla saying they were revamping her moveset and the end result was her playing exactly the same as previous iterations with three new moves.

cordy

Banned
lol you really think arcade owners have a mindset of "we already profited enough off of vanilla T7....no worries namco, you go ahead and release FR only 5 months after we purchase multiple $15,000 cabinets from you."

In regards to SFV, Capcom wanted the game to release before an event. In T7's case, it's the opposite. They are holding trade show type events to showcase the game and there wouldn't be any reason for having those after the game releases. So I'm expecting November 2016 at earliest and even that's being way too optimistic. .

?

No I'm saying that due to T7's sales that arcade owners wouldn't mind much when T7FR releases for consoles much considering they've already made their money and they'll continue making a large amount before/after it's console release. Going by your logic if the game's selling bad in arcades then they'd keep it in arcades but if the game's still great in arcades it'll stay in arcades too? That doesn't make any sense. That's not business.

And regards to SFV, my entire point is that from the ground up SFV was built for the tourney/hardcore scene. That's not the same case with T7. Namco does a lot with the tourney scene for T7 but it's not nearly ingrained in their roots as SFV. That's just common practice and given this they wouldn't necessarily have a stranglehold on the game's release around that like SFV did.

I think everyone who's upset about T7 just needs to really take a break and honestly forget about the game and pick it up when it comes out. That's the only thing that'll save you all. Stop coming to threads, stop making posts, stop making predictions just do it because not only will you be saved but Namco will likely see they've made a fuck up to keep this stuff on the backburner for so long. They'll see their own audience is upset and they'll work off of that. That's just the honest opinion. If you wanna send a message then send a message.

GrayFoxPL

Spooky gonna stream Tag2.

Harada got sick or something?

MarkMan didn't know it says K.O. in Tekken when you k.o. opponent.

He was talking to Murray how cool it is when Akuma finishes opponent with Demon it exclusively says "K.O."

Murray must've thought "What kind of drugs he's on?"

sasuke_91

No I'm saying that due to T7's sales that arcade owners wouldn't mind much when T7FR releases for consoles much considering they've already made their money and they'll continue making a large amount before/after it's console release. Going by your logic if the game's selling bad in arcades then they'd keep it in arcades but if the game's still great in arcades it'll stay in arcades too? That doesn't make any sense. That's not business.

One of the reasons why Tekken does so well in the arcades is because it's the only way to play the game. Once that's not the case anymore arcade profits will decline. They'll still make a lot of money, just not as much as they did when there was no console version.
Just think about it. You have no choice but to go to an arcade to play Tekken at the moment. But that's pretty expensive, so once you can play the game at home, why bother?

And regards to SFV, my entire point is that from the ground up SFV was built for the tourney/hardcore scene. That's not the same case with T7. Namco does a lot with the tourney scene for T7 but it's not nearly ingrained in their roots as SFV. That's just common practice and given this they wouldn't necessarily have a stranglehold on the game's release around that like SFV did.

Well... they WANTED to cater to the casual crowd, but they obviously failed at doing so.

I think everyone who's upset about T7 just needs to really take a break and honestly forget about the game and pick it up when it comes out. That's the only thing that'll save you all. Stop coming to threads, stop making posts, stop making predictions just do it because not only will you be saved but Namco will likely see they've made a fuck up to keep this stuff on the backburner for so long. They'll see their own audience is upset and they'll work off of that. That's just the honest opinion. If you wanna send a message then send a message.

Easier said than done to be honest. I tell myself everytime that I'm not going to get excited over the game (and it has been pretty easy lately since there hasn't been any news about this game... :/). The only news that could hype me up at the moment is the reveal of Lee Chaolan.

One of the reasons why Tekken does so well in the arcades is because it's the only way to play the game. Once that's not the case anymore arcade profits will decline. They'll still make a lot of money, just not as much as they did when there was no console version.
Just think about it. You have no choice but to go to an arcade to play Tekken at the moment. But that's pretty expensive, so once you can play the game at home, why bother?

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Arcade culture for fighting games extends beyond merely being the one place the game is available. It's a real social experience over there, learning a game, being mentored, playing team competitions. Early Access isn't the only reason why Asia tends to be on top in competition. The SF scene also had these concerns since SFV isn't getting an arcade release. It looked like Japan/Asia would be slow out of the gate simply because training at home on consoles is foreign to them. We'll see how that all plays out though....

Also, consoles aren't exactly selling too great in Japan. For Japan regarding fighting games, it would seem that arcades are where the real money is made, unless you're Smash Bros. Now it is worth questioning whether the arcade money from Asia is worth sacrificing overall worldwide interest....

EDIT: Final Round, the home of Tekken, can't find time for Tekken on stream. Fantastic. I hope Mike and Dereck are having a good time.

Doomshine

The first time ever i stopped playing Tag 2 and things went to shit?

I actually haven't played it either but I've heard so many people complain about it I assume it's true. They could at least look into it if FR is going to take forever to come out.

Numb

I actually haven't played it either but I've heard so many people complain about it I assume it's true. They could at least look into it if FR is going to take forever to come out.

hmmm
hope they fix watever is going on
no access to new game and old one being useless is not a good thing

AAK

This is pretty shitty, I actually cancelled some plans this weekend to watch a tournament that would have Saint, Venezuelans, SK, Anakin, JFJ, Kodee, BrawlBro, CC and it all went to shit. I'm not as mad about the lack of a release date since I always knew the game isn't coming out until right before EVO but this is a rare moment of such a stacked TTT2 tournament and we missed everything. Real bad time indeed to be a Tekken fan today.

Sayah

Thanks for covering those points Sasuke. You said pretty much what I wanted to.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. Arcade culture for fighting games extends beyond merely being the one place the game is available. It's a real social experience over there, learning a game, being mentored, playing team competitions. Early Access isn't the only reason why Asia tends to be on top in competition. The SF scene also had these concerns since SFV isn't getting an arcade release. It looked like Japan/Asia would be slow out of the gate simply because training at home on consoles is foreign to them. We'll see how that all plays out though....

Also, consoles aren't exactly selling too great in Japan. For Japan regarding fighting games, it would seem that arcades are where the real money is made, unless you're Smash Bros. Now it is worth questioning whether the arcade money from Asia is worth sacrificing overall worldwide interest....

EDIT: Final Round, the home of Tekken, can't find time for Tekken on stream. Fantastic. I hope Mike and Dereck are having a good time.

If releasing on consoles early will still keep arcades thriving, then why was there so much backlash from arcade owners when Tekken 5 was released on PS2 only 4-5 months after the arcade release?

This is pretty shitty, I actually cancelled some plans this weekend to watch a tournament that would have Saint, Venezuelans, SK, Anakin, JFJ, Kodee, BrawlBro, CC and it all went to shit. I'm not as mad about the lack of a release date since I always knew the game isn't coming out until right before EVO but this is a rare moment of such a stacked TTT2 tournament and we missed everything. Real bad time indeed to be a Tekken fan today.

I was wondering what was going on with TTT2, disappointing.

If releasing on consoles early will still keep arcades thriving, then why was there so much backlash from arcade owners when Tekken 5 was released on PS2 only 4-5 months after the arcade release?

I don't think I said that? My comment was mainly directed at the "so once you can play the game at home, why bother" portion of the quote. Outrage could've come from anything. Maybe they were caught unaware by the console announcement. Maybe there are contracts in place to prevent that now. Who knows.

I've long been an advocate of "just release the game for consoles outside of Japan!" but it would seem the whole Japanese entertainment industry is notoriously afraid of the import boogeyman. Plus the game isn't done anyway. :/

So I'm out, last I checked Boutdown was in losers and idk if ZTS made it out of pools. Either way I'm leaving in a better mood than I did last year. I totally feel like when T7 comes out, I'm gonna be a different beast. At the moment I'm not dropping Tekken at all but just playing SFV full time. Gonna use SF as a way to get better competitively till they decide they want to release T7.

Sorry you guys couldn't watch but from the sound of things top 8 for T7 and TTT2 will be dope.

cordy

Banned

Famicon answered this pretty well but basically it's a different spectrum compared to 10 years ago. I mean it wouldn't be that way across the board overseas now.

Well... they WANTED to cater to the casual crowd, but they obviously failed at doing so.

True but at the same time they're on a different plane compared to SFV. T7 will have the modes casuals want but they also need to keep them updated on the happenings otherwise they'll have failed.

Easier said than done to be honest. I tell myself everytime that I'm not going to get excited over the game (and it has been pretty easy lately since there hasn't been any news about this game... :/). The only news that could hype me up at the moment is the reveal of Lee Chaolan.

Tbh, that's one reason why I'm replaying older Tekkens. Nostalgia and the amount of time with them combined with new games can keep me away from T7 if need be. I might look at streams and such but the game is fairly "hidden" in my mind even after all the countless hours of streams I've seen mostly because I haven't been absorbing too much. Just enough to know it but walk in blinded like a new GTA game.
Thanks for covering those points Sasuke. You said pretty much what I wanted to.

Because overseas console gaming is dying compared to everywhere else in the world. Around that time when T5 came out it was a major impact, now? Not so much, they don't rely on it as much. For example, in 2014's total physical game sales for all home console and handhelds generated 369 billion yen (£2bn) in Japan. Back in 2007 that number was nearly double - 688bn yen (£3.8bn). The 10 top-selling games in Japan in 2014 were all for Nintendo platforms (eight of which were for 3DS, a reflection of Japan's preference for handhelds in general).

Basically I'm saying that unlike before, they don't rely on these sales as much and that's mostly due to handhelds but most importantly mobile sales. Notice even with those thriving their arcade scene hasn't died yet. It's tied together.

Numb

That set had me
whew.png

Numb

You can't get matches like these in ANY other game. TTT2 is the gaming industry's magnum opus hands down.

If cuddle did her knee after baiting tag crash with Alisas fly and return i would have lost it
I don't evn know if it could connect

cordy

Banned
No TTT2 Top 8 being broadcast tomorrow? Tomorrow is all T7? WTF. This is a major and yet this happens. That makes no sense. Why am I watching a game with no known release date over a Top 8 of a major?

Fucking shit.

Sayah

Because overseas console gaming is dying compared to everywhere else in the world. Around that time when T5 came out it was a major impact, now? Not so much, they don't rely on it as much. For example, in 2014's total physical game sales for all home console and handhelds generated 369 billion yen (£2bn) in Japan. Back in 2007 that number was nearly double - 688bn yen (£3.8bn). The 10 top-selling games in Japan in 2014 were all for Nintendo platforms (eight of which were for 3DS, a reflection of Japan's preference for handhelds in general).

Basically I'm saying that unlike before, they don't rely on these sales as much and that's mostly due to handhelds but most importantly mobile sales. Notice even with those thriving their arcade scene hasn't died yet. It's tied together.

You're forgetting the arcade scene has similarly suffered setbacks. It's not just the console scene. And if releasing on consoles didn't have any impact on arcade sales, we wouldn't be waiting two years for the game to release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom