• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys, obviously we don't know anything concrete yet about these new console upgrades, but how would you feel if T7FR could only run in the full arcade visual splendor on PS4K or XboxNewThing?

GrayFoxPL

So guys, obviously we don't know anything concrete yet about these new console upgrades, but how would you feel if T7FR could only run in the full arcade visual splendor on PS4K or XboxNewThing?

They can fuck themselves if so. "Real" version for PS4K and "Poverty" version for normal PS4?

I'll shit Armageddon on Namco if they'd do that. T7 looks nice but nothing that PS4 wouldn't pull with finger in it's ass. T7 doesn't even do motion blur or snow or water effects PS3 handled without a problem.

sasuke_91

I won't get a PS4 until that shit is explained. I don't like that "3DS/New 3DS" story either. I got a 3DS a few years ago and it doesn't run Xenoblade Chronicles, can't exit Smash Bros without resetting the console and Hyrule Warriors runs like shit. SNES VC is also only available on the New 3DS. Way to make your customers frustrated, Nintendo. And we're talking about a 150€ machine. I don't want the same to happen with a 400€ console. And they WILL find a way for people to regret getting a "low-end" PS4.

But fortunately I don't have to worry about T7 releasing before that :)
I do want to play FF XV when it releases though :/

I don't want the graphical downgrade Tekken 6 took arcade to console. I couldn't handle the wait back then either, flew to Cali and played Tekken 6 in the arcade. I know all to well that the console port we got is vomit inducing compared to the graphical excellence of Tekken 6 arcade.

If Tekken 7 doesn't release on PC I will be angry, because there is no way a PS4 can run Tekken 7 without sacrifice. I mean come on, Street Fighter 5 players are already considering a move to PC because the PS4 version isn't up to par.

It is terrible that the consoles will need some sort of upgrade, but they are so underpowered it is appalling. You can actually build a PC better the PS4 for less money. If we wait so long and get an ugly Tekken 6 port again I may break something.

Well pissed. Unless it's just an uprez with VR support or something.

I don't want the graphical downgrade Tekken 6 took arcade to console. I couldn't handle the wait back then either, flew to Cali and played Tekken 6 in the arcade. I know all to well that the console port we got is vomit inducing compared to the graphical excellence of Tekken 6 arcade.

Really? Didn't know this. Happen to know of any footage floating around that shows it?

You guys overestimate what the PS4 is capable of. It can't even run DS3 & Bloodborne at a stable 30 FPS. Given how good FR looks & it's need to be locked at 60 I think PS4K release is pretty probable.

LowParry

It is a main EVO game this year too?

"Sunday finals, featuring Street Fighter V, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mortal Kombat X, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, will take place at the Mandalay Bay sports arena."

Unless that's changed since? That was reported back when the line up was revealed.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
You guys overestimate what the PS4 is capable of. It can't even run DS3 & Bloodborne at a stable 30 FPS. Given how good FR looks & it's need to be locked at 60 I think PS4K release is pretty probable.

Because we all know that FROM is stellar at designing games with stable performance.

GrayFoxPL

Both are done on Unreal 4 both have been getting help from Epic Japan. It's VERY comparable.

We are talking about a game that looks better & runs at double the frame rate on the exact same engine.

Yes it's very comparable. Different programmers, different engine setup(no, game developers don't use "exact same engine" for different games, even if it's UE4. It's always set up, changed and configured differently according to needs of the game) different game scale, different genre. Very comparable.

It all comes to how lazy programmers can be coming down on optimization and I think that word is out of modern dictionary now.

I remember times when Aardvark Software guys could put whole Build engine + gigantic level +every sprite + all textures + sfx in 2mb of PSX ram. Today devs couldn't put an 8 bit sprite into 2 megs of ram.

Dereck

Eo2ds5Z.gif

rhQaQY3.png

sasuke_91

And I sincerely doubt there's going to be a single game that is exclusive to this new PS4k (if it's true).

Yeah but enough games where they're not going to bother optimizing for older hardware. "If you don't want this game to run like shit, you need the PS4k". Just like I mentioned before with Hyrule Warriors. I already see it coming.
I'm not going to get a PS4 before I see what's different. I would really prefer if it was just a PS4 Slim.

Do you guys also have these days were nothing works although you're concentrated and try to be calm? I tried ranking with Hwo/Steve and played like shit. People were interrupting everything, combos were dropped, moves were whiffed that should normally hit and lots and lots of raw tag hopkicks connecting. Haven't had this in a long time.
Oh, and I guess it's the green ranks again for me ;/

GrayFoxPL

Yeah but enough games where they're not going to bother optimizing for older hardware. "If you don't want this game to run like shit, you need the PS4k". Just like I mentioned before with Hyrule Warriors. I already see it coming.
I'm not going to get a PS4 before I see what's different. I would really prefer if it was just a PS4 Slim.

Depressing prognosis. Realistic though. Fuck them all if this happens.

Do you guys also have these days were nothing works although you're concentrated and try to be calm? I tried ranking with Hwo/Steve and played like shit. People were interrupting everything, combos were dropped, moves were whiffed that should normally hit and lots and lots of raw tag hopkicks connecting. Haven't had this in a long time.

Of course. I didn't play Tekken in a long time because I had to clean up hard drive for Yakuza 5 and I'm trying to finish my backlog games - there's too much of this shit. If I would go back straight to Tag2 I know I'd do terrible. I'm playing some DR to not get too stale.

Btw Sasuke if you played Tekken 6 online much lately it would affect your Tag2 play too I'm guessing.

Yeah. Sometimes it's just one of those days. I'm dumb, so even on those days i keep on playing hoping to at least end on a win. Best to just duck out early and do something else if it goes like this, and one day i will learn to do just that ;/

Sayah

"Sunday finals, featuring Street Fighter V, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mortal Kombat X, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR, and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, will take place at the Mandalay Bay sports arena."

Unless that's changed since? That was reported back when the line up was revealed.

So it'll be streamed on Saturday instead?

Awesome! Look forward to it! When do you get to your PS3 again?

I have my PS3 with me but the game isn't with me right now. Will try to get it maybe this coming weekend but probably next sounds more likely.

CSX

Seeing these Pokemon in Pokken doing Tekken moves is so fascinating no joke.

Gengar doing bob's hellsweep

And theres a pokemon i dont know of that's basically bryan fury even down to his intro pose.

And of course PIKACHI PIKASHIMA

Sayah

I've learned a game's popularity on neogaf means squat in terms of actual popularity. Pokken Tournament won't even reach OT2 and it'll probably sell more than SFV, which is reaching OT4.

Seeing these Pokemon in Pokken doing Tekken moves is so fascinating no joke.

Gengar doing bob's hellsweep

And theres a pokemon i dont know of that's basically bryan fury even down to his intro pose.

And of course PIKACHI PIKASHIMA

It's really great!
Garchomp uses Bryan Fury moves.

Also, I really love this game but at the same time feel like my creativity is somewhat limited due to the phase shifts. I've just been using two to three standard combos and it doesn't seem like there's any possibility for using more damaging combos because the phase shifts as soon as you think you have something. For this reason, I think Pokken's going to get old really fast but waiting to see if there's new tech to be seen during EVO. I certainly want the franchise to have a sequel so they can maybe expand the depth a bit. It's still a deep game as each character plays essentially differently - but the potential is somewhat limited.

AllenShrz

I dont think they will make it exclusive the the ps4k, maybe only the VR aspect.

I personally wouldn't mind, Ive already spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money on the arcade, buying an extra console for this game would be nothing for me.

Sayah

I would love a Tekken 6 Remastered with new netcode and Tekken 7 prologue added on. It would make a 2017 T7 release more bearable.

I dont think they will make it exclusive the the ps4k, maybe only the VR aspect.

I personally wouldn't mind, Ive already spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more money on the arcade, buying an extra console for this game would be nothing for me.

I'm glad and all the arcade version was so successful thanks to people like you and Lupinko but I'm sure it has also contributed to a delayed console release. It's conflicting to think about.

AllenShrz

I would love a Tekken 6 Remastered with new netcode and Tekken 7 prologue added on. It would make a 2017 T7 release more bearable.

I'm glad and all the arcade version was so successful thanks to people like you and Lupinko but I'm sure it has also contributed to a delayed console release. It's conflicting to think about.

Well, yes.

At the same time, maybe namco wound not be interested in making more Tekken without the arcade business... Tekken is not as big as it once were.

Sayah

Well, yes.

At the same time, maybe namco wound not be interested in making more Tekken without the arcade business... Tekken is now as big as it once were.

*sigh*

Tekken 7 FR is the best Tekken has ever looked (and literally the best any fighting game has ever looked) but I find it increasingly hard to support that arcade model.

This year in fighting games also brings:

Street Fighter V
Pokken Tournament
Mortal Kombat XL
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
King of Fighters XIV
Killer Instinct Season 3

All these are games/updates to games announced after Tekken 7 but releasing before Tekken 7 on consoles. And I guess all the competition this year may also deter Namco from a 2016 release.

AAK

So it'll be streamed on Saturday instead?

I believe it's already confirmed (Maybe MM can correct me) but T7:FR will start and finish completely on Friday.

I have my PS3 with me but the game isn't with me right now. Will try to get it maybe this coming weekend but probably next sounds more likely.

Alright cool, I'll shoot a PM your way to see if things work out. Thanks!

sasuke_91

Of course. I didn't play Tekken in a long time because I had to clean up hard drive for Yakuza 5 and I'm trying to finish my backlog games - there's too much of this shit. If I would go back straight to Tag2 I know I'd do terrible. I'm playing some DR to not get too stale.

Btw Sasuke if you played Tekken 6 online much lately it would affect your Tag2 play too I'm guessing.

Haven't played any T6 lately. Last time I played T6 was with SquirrelSoup.
I don't know. I just feel like I haven't made any progress these last six months. The progress I made in breaking throws is also gone for some reason. It's frustrating.
I feel like I don't have the necessary reaction time and patience to make any progress and this gets really clear to me whenever I hit ranking. I can block lows to some extent in a "friendly" environment, but I lose my shit whenever I play ranked or in a tournament. Can't handle the stress although I try to.

How can I overcome this obstacle? I have no idea. Maybe hit practice mode and try improving my defense? I'm not really sure how to do that.

Yeah. Sometimes it's just one of those days. I'm dumb, so even on those days i keep on playing hoping to at least end on a win. Best to just duck out early and do something else if it goes like this, and one day i will learn to do just that ;/

I only duck out when it gets REALLY bad. I should just learn to know when to stop playing.

Nobody says it's going to be exclusive to PS4k, just that it might look better on that console. The console version of Tekken always looked a little worse than the arcade version, so this time they might be like "You want Tekken 7 to look as good as the arcade version? Go get a New PS4". That would be horrible...

That was tight. That was tight. The way he broke the ground there.

Jt87O6q.gif

Am I the only one who is frustrated with the 1 HP that's left at the end?
That floor break was really cool though. I don't think that's possible in TTT2. At least I never used that for a floor break.

GrayFoxPL

Haven't played any T6 lately. Last time I played T6 was with SquirrelSoup.
I don't know. I just feel like I haven't made any progress these last six months. The progress I made in breaking throws is also gone for some reason. It's frustrating.
I feel like I don't have the necessary reaction time and patience to make any progress and this gets really clear to me whenever I hit ranking. I can block lows to some extent in a "friendly" environment, but I lose my shit whenever I play ranked or in a tournament. Can't handle the stress although I try to.

How can I overcome this obstacle? I have no idea. Maybe hit practice mode and try improving my defense? I'm not really sure how to do that.

I only duck out when it gets REALLY bad. I should just learn to know when to stop playing.

Note which lows are giving you problems. Test them in practice mode. Try to focus on blocking "big" lows not small low pokes, they are often 0 or - on hit. Generic d+4 poke is -2 on hit. Depending on your eyes it could be better to turn motion blur off since you can see every frame of character clearly instead of a smoodge.

sasuke_91

Note which lows are giving you problems. Test them in practice mode. Try to focus on blocking "big" lows not small low pokes, they are often 0 or - on hit. Generic d+4 poke is -2 on hit. Depending on your eyes it could be better to turn motion blur off since you can see every frame of character clearly instead of a smoodge.

I have motion blur turned off.

I don't have a problem blocking big lows when I'm in practice mode. Same when I play player matches.
Maybe I just can't handle the stress and should play Tekken for fun from now on. Wouldn't be too bad either I guess.

Dereck

Porting Tag2 on PS4 is as hard as making Tekken 7?

Riiight Murray, I believe you.

jW0Z69a.gif
The way I interpreted that is that porting Tag 2 to the PS4 takes a similar amount of work as porting Tekken 7 to PS4.

You could argue that they could outsource the port, but the point is that porting Tekken Tag 2 to PS4/XB1 may not be lucrative for Namco. Porting the game to current gen could be a waste of money and time for them. They couldn't give less of a shit about the small amount of American players who are just itching to play a Tekken game on PS4. Murray is saying that they'd rather focus on the console version of Tekken 7 instead of wasting money to port a 3 year old game that people don't really play anymore to PS4.

Tag 2's shtick is old and garbage anyway so I personally don't care for it to get ported to anything.

Pachimari

I took it as, porting Tag 2 to PS4 would take the same amount of time, as developing Tekken 7 for arcades/consoles from scratch. I can believe that though. It' easier to develop for the consoles nowadays, and the engine on PS3 might give them too much trouble while porting.

I took it as, porting Tag 2 to PS4 would take the same amount of time, as developing Tekken 7 for arcades/consoles from scratch. I can believe that though. It' easier to develop for the consoles nowadays, and the engine on PS3 might give them too much trouble while porting.

Well they did have a very functional T7 beta after only a few months development. The initial T7 loctest was put together very quick by typical development standards. I take Murray's and Namco's disinterest in porting TTT2 as a resource issue more than a time issue. Taking people off T7 to work on porting TTT2, do we really want that? To delay this game even longer?

AAK

KTA is composed of the most competitive Tekken fans. It's the community that wants to excel and master the game. They're the one community Namco has boned the hardest with their business model. When it comes to that, this is the comment that best encapsulates the situation:

https://twitter.com/Speedkicks/status/698881308508999680

The series just isn't meant for the non-Asian competitors and it'll never be taken seriously the way all the other major 2D games are here. All we can ask for at this point is to make the game have a presentation superior to every other game in the market currently the same way Tekken 3 did to get some of that MKX-tier sales.

Sayah

Eh.......this whole namco arcade model topic has been beaten to death and I'm kind of tired myself talking about it now. It's just literally irritating to think about how one region of the world gets to play the game exclusively for two years.

All I'll say is that I'm growing older and my life's priorities are shifting. I don't know if I can be a Tekken fan much longer with the model they currently have in place.

Remember when Soul Calibur went console only? Remember how the series is dead? Remember when SFV went console only & sold sub-500K? This arguement is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom