• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's so stupid. MK's success has nothing to do with it being on console. Please remember Midway went BANKRUPT because of shitty MK Sales in the mid 2000s. How quickly we forget.

I think the MK was the only thing selling for them during that time (and TNA). They were doing a mil each I thought.

They tried to make some platformers here and there that didn't sale. And people talk about their shitty management team.

Actually looking it up, it all seems so weird how it went down, heh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Games#Late_2000s_and_bankruptcy_filing

Sayah

That's so stupid. MK's success has nothing to do with it being on console. Please remember Midway went BANKRUPT because of shitty MK Sales in the mid 2000s. How quickly we forget.

I'm not against the arcade model if it's utilized properly. That usually means not making us wait two years. In Tekken history, only Tekken 6 and Tekken 7 will have done that.

Everyone knows Tekken 6 was a brutalizing, almost torturous wait and how it very negatively impacted console sales - and yet Namco still decided to follow that shitty model for Tekken 7 knowing very well how annoyed worldwide fans would be. Namco might boast 3 million sales for Tekken 6 but that was after the game hit $20 in retail after like a week of release.

Sayah

The final thing I'll say on this topic:

I find it hard to forgive Namco, especially as there is precedent and they know how things panned out the last time they pulled this sort of shit. It's even more annoying because they hyped this 20th Anniversary up so much and we won't even have the game in our hands until the 22nd Anniversary with the way things are looking. The 20th Anniversary celebrations were only meant for Japanese and South Korean fans.

They could release T7 for 20dls, all dlc included, perfect netcode best graphics ever and still wouldn't sell a half of that.

MK is popular Tekken is not , is kind of a niche fighting game. I wouldn't be surprised if it "goes away" the same way KF has done.

With "failure" of Street Fighter V, I have returned to Mortal Kombat X by upgrading to XL. It is now the prefect time for Tekken to come out like in 6 months or so. But looks unlikely.

Missed opportunity

AAK

MK is popular Tekken is not , is kind of a niche fighting game.

This is factually incorrect. There was an era where Tekken was more popular than both street fighter and MK combined.

Tekken is still the highest grossing fighting game series even against smash and SF because of that era of popularity.

sasuke_91

Tekken lost its opportunity to be the first fighting game on the PS4. Now it's the last to release. I imagine it would have sold really well.

This is factually incorrect. There was an era where Tekken was more popular than both street fighter and MK combined.

Tekken is still the highest grossing figuring game series even against smash and SF because of that era of popularity.

I hope that era comes back...soon

I don't think it'd be hard for Tekken to get more popular than MK again. Here in Europe at least. MK really isn't that big from what i've seen. I guess they're doing the right thing for that too, wait until there are few other fighting games coming out and then release the most complete bestest version you can.

For the competitive player though, this isn't so nice. Who'd want to compete in a game where everyone else has had 2 more years to practice?

---
Unrelated, TR ragemail i just got: "I've had enough of all of you lili's spamming her juggle"

Uh oh, i'm spamming a juggle~ =D

AllenShrz

Tekken is still the highest grossing fighting game series even against smash and SF because of that era of popularity.

You said it yourself, "there was an era". Im talking now.

Pachimari

I don't even think I'm gonna play that much Tekken 7 when I go to the Philippines in 2 weeks. I'm just not that hyped about trying out the vanilla version, so I'll probably get in 1-3 games with Josie and Chloe.

AAK

You said it yourself, "there was an era". Im talking now.

People said the same thing during the late PS2 era how MK would never eclipse the iconic popularity it had back in the 90's. But NRS straight up did a complete overhaul of the game's presentation and mechanics (just how Namco did with Tekken 3) resulting in MK9 along with MKX smashing all of their previous records. I firmly believe Tekken can also smash their previous records if they follow the same design philosophy.

AllenShrz

Mk did turn around, but from Mk 4 to 8 ( deadly alliance?) they sunk the franchise to the ground AND midway with them. Is was not a painless process nor a fast one. They needed over a decade and a new company to correct the problem.

cordy

Banned
People said the same thing during the late PS2 era how MK would never eclipse the iconic popularity it had back in the 90's. But NRS straight up did a complete overhaul of the game's presentation and mechanics (just how Namco did with Tekken 3) resulting in MK9 along with MKX smashing all of their previous records. I firmly believe Tekken can also smash their previous records if they follow the same design philosophy.

Pretty much.

And it'll all start with how T7's promotion and console content or they can start fresh with T8. We will see. People are forgetting how badly people were shitting on previous MK titles before 9 hit. They sold well but they weren't loved by any means. Namco just has to go all out for the console release and this includes promotion and just making it feel like it's worth it. SFV had shitty promotion and had a shitty release. Namco's gotta avoid that.
Mk did turn around, but from Mk 4 to 8 ( deadly alliance?) they sunk the franchise to the ground AND midway with them. Is was not a painless process nor a fast one. They needed over a decade and a new company to correct the problem.

People like to say that but those games sold a ridiculous amount each which is often overlooked. The games weren't massive hits like MKs previous but they sold great during that era. DA sold over 3.5mil, Deception sold over 1mil first week, MKvsDC sold over 2mil in 1 year. The problem was that MK1-3/MK9-10 were INSANE sellers and these were just great sellers. The difference is what made people think differently about the series. MK wasn't just a regular series, MK was an A+ series.

They were disliked by the hardcore but not the casuals.

AAK

True it did take a while for NRS (who are composed of the same employees of the midway team creating MK back then). But likewise it's been 12 years since Tekken has continuously been iterating off of Tekken 5's gameplay design and aesthetic. The game is still fun to play of course but I can always go back and play those titles for that experience. I think it's very fair to say Namco can treat the situation similar to how NRS had to after MK Armageddon.

True it did take a while for NRS (who are composed of the same employees of the midway team creating MK back then). But likewise it's been 12 years since Tekken has continuously been iterating off of Tekken 5's gameplay design and aesthetic. The game is still fun to play of course but I can always go back and play those titles for that experience. I think it's very fair to say Namco can treat the situation similar to how NRS had to after MK Armageddon.

First of all the team is not the same at Midway that's just a flat out lie, The Co-Creator of MK Tobias isn't even on the team and the entire programing staff and people in charge are different. Boon is one of the only people to remain constant throughout the entire process.

You keep glossing over your own point which is MK sells cause it's on console which AGAIN has nothing to do with why it sells well. MK sells well because it's a Cultural Icon. It has had 2 Hollywood movies, 2 Live Action TV series, Animated Cartoons, tons of toys action figures, and merchandise ALL in the WEST where the majority of the console gamers are now. Not to mention it's wide spread "controversy" in the early 90s that put it all over the news.

And despite all of that Midway went under. You know why Mortal Kombat9 and X sold so much? It's because Warner Brother's had infinite cash to throw at MK to rebrand it, remarket it, and it had the brand recognition in the WEST to pull it off. Tekken does not have that kind of brand recognition in the West, not even SF does.

You talk about going console only but funny enough it was going console only that hurt MK's sales as well. Once they stopped releasing arcade games after 4 the popularity and sales took a huge dip as well.

But let's back that up, WHY did MK stop releasing arcade versions all the way back in the late 1990s? Guess what it's the SAME reason Tekken is still in arcades. MK went to console because American arcades were dying and their game doesn't make money Japanese Arcades so why produce arcade games? Why is Tekken in Japanese Arcades, because TEKKEN is the #1 arcade game and sells in Japanese Arcades. You are literally asking Namco to concentrate on marketing to a region that is less profitable where they have weaker brand recognition. It would be exactly like asking NRS to release MK in Japanese arcades. That's not where they make the their money, that's not where their brand is powerful so why would they?

That's why this debate is so stupid. Obviously they are going to continue to support the arcade model, it makes them a shit ton of money. Why is MK going to keep having guest characters? Cause it makes them a lot of money.

I told you guys I talked with Michael Murray for a long time at Final Round. Guess what? Namco was ready to put a Tekken 7 machine in every single Dave and Busters in America but Dave and Busters didn't want to. Namco gave D&B every opportunity to bring Tekken 7 Arcade to America. You could have Tekken 7 at your local D&B but you don't. They tried to bring it to the west. You guys are hating but what more can they do? D&B is the only established arcade chain in the West. They did it with Round 1 as well and even though Round 1 loved it, there are not enough Round 1 arcades currently to make it worth it for Namco to do a US release of the game.

Seriously you guys need to relax about the Tekken 7 thing. It's going to be launching with the PS4K next year, it will be the first fighter on the PS4K and it will look amazing and will support VR and get lots of love.FR is super fun, it's going to be great. Just fuckin do something else with your time while you wait. Play Dark Souls 3 or Splatoon or Revelator or SFV or something. If you can't handle it get off your ass and go to a Wizard World Event or tournament and play the game.

You can sit here till your blue in the face and complain but your complaints mean nothing. Namco is making smart financial decisions with Tekken and you can't say otherwise. You have nothing other than MKX and Smash Bros to claim console release first or only structure is better for fighters and their success has NOTHING to do with that. Every other fighting game suffer going console only financial. Stop using that to justify your bitterness that you can't play the game from the comfort of your living room right now.

Numb

*Sits on lawn chair*

Come on Tekken 7.

DIY-Skeleton-Lawn-Decorations-for-Halloween-7.jpg

cordy

Banned
First of all the team is not the same at Midway that's just a flat out lie, The Co-Creator of MK Tobias isn't even on the team and the entire programing staff and people in charge are different. Boon is one of the only people to remain constant throughout the entire process.

You keep glossing over your own point which is MK sells cause it's on console which AGAIN has nothing to do with why it sells well. MK sells well because it's a Cultural Icon. It has had 2 Hollywood movies, 2 Live Action TV series, Animated Cartoons, tons of toys action figures, and merchandise ALL in the WEST where the majority of the console gamers are now. Not to mention it's wide spread "controversy" in the early 90s that put it all over the news.

And despite all of that Midway went under. You know why Mortal Kombat9 and X sold so much? It's because Warner Brother's had infinite cash to throw at MK to rebrand it, remarket it, and it had the brand recognition in the WEST to pull it off. Tekken does not have that kind of brand recognition in the West, not even SF does.

You talk about going console only but funny enough it was going console only that hurt MK's sales as well. Once they stopped releasing arcade games after 4 the popularity and sales took a huge dip as well.

But let's back that up, WHY did MK stop releasing arcade versions all the way back in the late 1990s? Guess what it's the SAME reason Tekken is still in arcades. MK went to console because American arcades were dying and their game doesn't make money Japanese Arcades so why produce arcade games? Why is Tekken in Japanese Arcades, because TEKKEN is the #1 arcade game and sells in Japanese Arcades. You are literally asking Namco to concentrate on marketing to a region that is less profitable where they have weaker brand recognition. It would be exactly like asking NRS to release MK in Japanese arcades. That's not where they make the their money, that's not where their brand is powerful so why would they?

That's why this debate is so stupid. Obviously they are going to continue to support the arcade model, it makes them a shit ton of money. Why is MK going to keep having guest characters? Cause it makes them a lot of money.

I told you guys I talked with Michael Murray for a long time at Final Round. Guess what? Namco was ready to put a Tekken 7 machine in every single Dave and Busters in America but Dave and Busters didn't want to. Namco gave D&B every opportunity to bring Tekken 7 Arcade to America. You could have Tekken 7 at your local D&B but you don't. They tried to bring it to the west. You guys are hating but what more can they do? D&B is the only established arcade chain in the West. They did it with Round 1 as well and even though Round 1 loved it, there are not enough Round 1 arcades currently to make it worth it for Namco to do a US release of the game.

Seriously you guys need to relax about the Tekken 7 thing. It's going to be launching with the PS4K next year, it will be the first fighter on the PS4K and it will look amazing and will support VR and get lots of love.FR is super fun, it's going to be great. Just fuckin do something else with your time while you wait. Play Dark Souls 3 or Splatoon or Revelator or SFV or something. If you can't handle it get off your ass and go to a Wizard World Event or tournament and play the game.

You can sit here till your blue in the face and complain but your complaints mean nothing. Namco is making smart financial decisions with Tekken and you can't say otherwise. You have nothing other than MKX and Smash Bros to claim console release first or only structure is better for fighters and their success has NOTHING to do with that. Every other fighting game suffer going console only financial. Stop using that to justify your bitterness that you can't play the game from the comfort of your living room right now.

Tbh.

For all the whining, complaining and insults people say about Namco and their T7 rollout, they're doing damn well pulling in money. People might dislike it and while I wish the game was out already, that company is thriving off of their business model so I can't talk shit about their sales. I'm also not sure where it was said but didn't somewhere say that as soon as the console versions come out these days they make a profit based on the fact Tekken's doing amazing in arcades? I'm not sure.

Either way Namco's business model is amazing and financially they're great. Out of all the fighters out these days Tekken, MK and maybe Smash at the only ones who don't have problem racking up money.

Just give me a beefy console version and I'm good.

I think T7 will sell fine even if it releases early 2017. If it's packed with content and not hamstrung by this PS4/K business I think it can out-perform T6. We know the game plays well, we know the game looks great, and we know Namco's netcode is top notch. Street Fighter didn't take over, MKX has been out for a while and died down, and none of the other surrounding fighters are competing for attention with Tekken on a mainstream level (no new Smash anytime soon, maaaaybe Injustice 2).

There is the sentiment of bitterness among the hardcore players over the long wait, but that shouldn't affect sales. As long as Namco shouts from the rootops HEY GUYS THERE IS A NEW TEKKEN COMING OUT IN X MONTHS so everyone can hear it, and there's a dope story mode and all the other modes and shit people like, Tekken will be fine. I'd be a bit shocked if it wasn't fine considering Namco has two very recent examples of companies that got it right (NRS) and wrong (Capcom), including their own games that they can judge from.

cordy

Banned
TTT2 sold 1.3mil copies in 9 months, who knows where it's at now. Mind you that game wasn't near as hyped as T7 is nor promoted as much. Surely T7 will be fine.

sasuke_91

You're talking about the US all the time but Tekken's biggest casual crowd is in Europe. And we don't have any Arcades or tournaments down here, so there is simply no way for us to try out the game unless we plan to take a trip the US or Asia.

But I agree that we should calm down a bit. Tekken 7 is doing fine in Arcades and while that's actually my biggest concern when it comes to the console release date it's also somewhat reassuring.
What we're asking for though is just a way to try out the game. We've gone 3.5 years without a new Tekken game and 2.5 years without a Tekken game on the current gen consoles. That's a damn long time.

AAK

Oh really, I'm lying now?

Midway MK team's last game: Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (MK8)

Art Director: Steve Beran

Tech Director: Alan Villani

Software Director: Micheal Boon

System Software Lead: Alexander Barrentine

Game Programming Lead: Jay Biondo

Graphics Programming Lead: Jon Greenberg

Animation Lead: Carlos Pasina

... More

First NRS Game: MK9

Director of Art: Steve Beran

Director of Engine Engineering: Alan Villani

Art Lead, Animation: Carlos Pesina

Director of Engineering, Gameplay: Micheal Boon

Lead Software Engineer, Systems: Alexander Barrentine

Lead Software Engineer, Gameplay: Jay Biondo

Lead Graphics Engineer: Jon Greenberg

.. More. Take a look at yourself. Now tell me again that I'm lying.

OK sure, now explain to me how despite all of that "iconic" and cultural relevance MK 1 - 8 never reached the popularity that Tekken 1 - 5 reached (which MKX is only reaching now)? How come that iconic popularity never transferred onto those pre-MK9 games? Despite all of MK's branding and stuff why was it always dwarfed by Tekken until very recently? And why does the "MK is iconic" argument only apply now to MK9 and MKX and not the deadly alliance, deception, and armageddon era? It's almost as if people don't want to admit NRS's effort in advancing their franchise.

Everyone keeps bringing up WB's "infinite" money as if Tekken's budget is some paltry amount. Show me the proof of MK's budget and how much larger it is compared to Tekken. And don't pretend for a second Namco doesn't have that kind of money either allocated to Tekken. And then you were mentioning a bunch about MK's brand recognition in the US.... and that's where MK's brand recognition stops. Tekken's brand recognition is world wide. Tekken has a significantly higher brand recognition in Europe, Middle East, South America, East Asia, Australia, you name it. Why are you depreciating how relevant Tekken is by comparing it to an IP's relevance in a 350 million country compared to the potential of the rest of the world? Tekken's IP is WORTH investing in.

Are you only going to attribute MK's fall to the lack of arcade releases? Not on the design philosphies which NRS completely changed going into MK9 and now MKX?

But more importantly, here's where you are shoving things into what we're saying. NO ONE is trying to deny Namco it's Arcade sales. What we're talking about is how Namco are consciously obstructing anybody else access to the game. I'll get more into that shortly...

Now this is where I'm lost in comprehension. All I hear from MM is " something-something Dave & Busters something-something Round 1". Are those avenues REALLY the only way to sell your software???? Why can't Namco do a Europe-NA EXCLUSIVE console release while Japan-Korea still gets the arcade version??? Make the game region locked also so Japan can't import it. That way the entire world finally has access to the game. Are they worried about selling an incomplete product like SFV? Then release a F2P "competitor's edition" or something on PSN/Steam/XBL akin to Tekken revolution where the people can still PAY AND ENJOY the game? Will Japan bitch? Sure, but no where near the amount the rest of the world are collectively bitching with this current model. And this doesn't impede the Arcade business at ALL since arcades are GONE everywhere outside of East Asia. And the few arcades that are left don't even invest in Tekken. The Japanese will still be forced to go to arcades to play Tekken in this potential scenario... no different than how it is now except now the rest of the world can also share in the enjoyment. Again, nobody is every saying Tekken should become console-EXCLUSIVE. This archaic arcade - exclusive BS is the problem where you've basically fractured your market.

You know, you're sounding more and more like a Namco apologist rather than a Tekken fan. If you care more about Namco's financials than playing the game you're free to do so. As a Tekken fan, I want to indulge in the discovery phase of this game which has now been forcibly relinquished because of Namco's model. As a Tekken fan I'm trying my damnest hardest to build my local community into playing the game in order to enjoy the mechanics the game offers in an offline presence. Again after my exprience with T6 and TTT2 it's also something greatly dwindled because the vast majority of my local community has no interest in a 2 year old game with so many fresher fighters available all because of Namco's model.

And don't think that if Namco catered to BOTH the European/American audiences along with the East Asian markets they're finances would all of a sudden plummet. There's a huge market here for fighting games especially with the 3D vacancies. Again, no one is denying Namco from harvesting the arcade whales with their gambling-esque schemes. They can do the same for the west in other avenues that don't involve Dave and Busters/Round 1 while still making a hell of a lot of money. And when the console version eventually comes around they can finally do a full on Blu-ray release with the story mode + bells/whistles that can be marketed to the casuals.

I also keep bringing up MK not only because they successfully show how much fighting games are viable on consoles but with their ideals when designing a sequel. NRS understood how important it is to rejuvinate the game's presentation with their sequel along with designing brand new gameplay paradigms to sell their new product. Another thing I've been harping on Namco to adopt from them.

MikeMyers

They could release T7 for 20dls, all dlc included, perfect netcode best graphics ever and still wouldn't sell a half of that.

MK is popular Tekken is not , is kind of a niche fighting game. I wouldn't be surprised if it "goes away" the same way KF has done.

Kind of a niche?

IMHO I really don't see the lack of an arcade release for SFV being the main reason it's selling badly. I think there are other things at work on why that's happening.

Anyways, it is what it is and all we can do is wait or not and play something else.
I got Star Ocean 5 in June and FFXV in september so for me personally I have things to play til the release.

I do think they should take a different look on the software for different regions and for non asian territories put out a beta for consoles.

I mean that is what Tekken Hybrid was essentially.

Sayah

Wall of text

AAK is 100% on the money.

It's 2016. Dave & Busters and Round 1 are not the only avenues for making your game available to a worldwide audience.

SFV did betas. GGXrd Revelator is offering a full on demo for pre-ordering. A lot of games offer F2P versions and continually build additional content (see Killer Instinct).

Even if Tekken 7 became available at every Dave & Busters location, it is not how I want to play the game long-term and it does not resolve the core issue.

#1 - Dave & Busters are still scarce around the country
#2 - Europe/South America/Canada are still left in the dust
#3 - I was forced to use the arcade stick control scheme when I made trips to D&B last year, which is something I'm not accustomed to

IMHO I really don't see the lack of an arcade release for SFV being the main reason it's selling badly. I think there are other things at work on why that's happening.

Anyways, it is what it is and all we can do is wait or not and play something else.
I got Star Ocean 5 in June and FFXV in september so for me personally I have things to play til the release.

I do think they should take a different look on the software for different regions and for non asian territories put out a beta for consoles.

I mean that is what Tekken Hybrid was essentially.

Yeah, I want to be as angry as everyone else, but this is a really great year for gaming for me. Dark Souls 3 is in two weeks, Persona 5 might be sometime this year. FFXV is in September (Yas King). And I still have TTT2, Street Fighter 5, and KOFXIV. Also a whole backlog of ps1/ps2 games.

It sucks that I have to wait, but honestly I can wait.

Though it remains to be seen if I'll actually care enough to pick it up when it does come out.

tumblr_moa51miD0S1sozfq0o1_500.gif

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Just give me a beefy console version and I'm good.

That's what I'm hoping for and worried about the most. Release dates are gonna be whatever they're gonna be, I just want the console version to be decked out when it does hit. Show something for all the time spent and all the money being made in arcades. The game in it's current state isn't that impressive in terms of a full package, at least not by Tekken's standards. Needs more stages, especially more visually unique stages (the current set is well rendered, but otherwise feel kind of uninspired, save cool stuff like the raining in dragons nest). I'd like more characters, though I know some folks don't like overstuffed rosters. I think I'd lose interest in the game fairly quickly if the current cast was all we were getting. I'd like to see more customizations that aren't pizzas or bubble blowers or bondage gear, a slightly more detailed customization system like in Tekken 6 wherein gloves are not glued to shirts, layering is possible, and materials are rendered realistically. I'd like to see a halfway decent story mode (lol lol). I'd like to see some more new standard moves for returning characters to freshen them up a bit, and unique 2p costumes like they've had in every game up until Tag 2.

Having that stuff, along with standard expectations like good online modes and servers, will suit me fine.

GrayFoxPL

I wonder what promotional campaign they will run for T7 console when they decide to release it.

Tekken 6 had that Tapout stuff, mma ppl were talking and shit, the T-shirts didn't look bad on King and Bryan though. The mangaka colab costumes was good shit.

Tag2 had Snoop Dog/Lion/Zebra whatever. Awful, worse then halfassed song. Also some deal with clothing brand that tried to do something with existing customs because they didn't even do "real" clothes assets based on said company.

That Tag2 Kazuya's alt is so ugly I can't even find picture of it in google. Anyone has it?

What will they think of now? Hope not some fucking pizza joint, singer or other celebrity. But there will be some kind of "joint-venture" for sure. I have a bad feeling they do something whack. Spiderman-Tekken deal or some shit.

Maybe Anime mini series would be nice, like KOF another day but actually with shit happening.

Probably wont go with any live series, lol.

Numb

I wonder what promotional campaign they will run for T7 console when they decide to release it.

Tekken 6 had that Tapout stuff, mma ppl were talking and shit, the T-shirts didn't look bad on King and Bryan though. The mangaka colab costumes was good shit.

Tag2 had Snoop Dog/Lion/Zebra whatever. Awful, worse then halfassed song. Also some deal with clothing brand that tried to do something with existing customs because they didn't even do "real" clothes assets based on said company.

That Tag2 Kazuya's alt is so ugly I can't even find picture of it in google. Anyone has it?

What will they think of now? Hope not some fucking pizza joint, singer or other celebrity. But there will be some kind of "joint-venture" for sure. I have a bad feeling they do something whack. Spiderman-Tekken deal or some shit.

Maybe Anime mini series would be nice, like KOF another day but actually with shit happening.

Probably wont go with any live series, lol.
They could only go up. As long as it's no related with idolmaster or anything Lucky Chloe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom