• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
AmDfgC.gif

There aren't any good T7:FR wallpapers, unfortunately.

Yes I know. There are some great artwork at Fighters Generation but they are fit for Ipad

lupinko

Dont even bother, is the worst, uninspired and boring. I hope they change it for FR.

Many of the songs sound as if they were made when dubstep was still a thing.

First part of Souq is nice, same with the deciding round for Jungle Outpost and Devil's Pit overall are both great.

My personal favourite is Lars' theme in Twilight Conflict.

I'm surprised that hasn't been ripped yet by anyone.

Sayah

Preach. I'd add 3 with it.

I'd say it goes like

- T2/T3/T5DR
- TTT
- T4
- T1
- T6
- TTT2

Can't rate 7 yet though. Either way Tekken's music had a huge dropoff after 5/DR hit. 6, TTT2 and Rev were all not up to par. Like, how can you compare this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-W7MTjiYUs

to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1EyQjpC-AI

Horrible ranking of OSTs.

And why are you comparing two tracks of clearly different music genres?

Only good tracks from Tekken 2:

Nina
Anna
Character Select (posted above by you)

The Kazuya and Jun theme are also nice - but kind of find them overly praised from people with their nostalgia glasses on.

Compared to the sheer number of quality tracks in later games, Tekken 2 doesn't hold shit to most of the Tekken games.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I will say I'm not a huge fan of Tekken 2's OST. I still like it more than Tag 2 and what we have currently in 7, but most of the tracks just sound a little too dated for me. Compositions might be okay, but the goofy synth choices usually kill it. I do like the boss themes and Yoshimitsu's theme, which is the bossest character theme of all. Stands on another level with the awesome buildup. Not kidding around, I've got it set as my morning alarm.

I think Tag 1 has my favorite OST overall. It's got a very unique flavor to it. Ironically, I don't actually care for the Yoshimitsu theme in that one. I think it's silly and doesn't go anywhere interesting.

I think my favorite tracks are those with great buildups.

Sayah

I will say I'm not a huge fan of Tekken 2's OST. I still like it more than Tag 2 and what we have currently in 7, but most of the tracks just sound a little too dated for me. Compositions might be okay, but the goofy synth choices usually kill it for me. I do like the boss themes and Yoshimitsu's theme, which is the bossest character theme of all. Stands on another level with the awesome buildup. Not kidding around, I've got it set as my alarm.

I think Tag 1 has my favorite OST overall. It's got a very unique flavor to it. Ironically, I don't actually care for the Yoshimitsu theme in that one. I think it's silly and doesn't go anywhere interesting.

I think my favorite tracks are those with great buildups.

Tekken 2's good tracks are really good but its bad tracks are really bad. And there are a lot of character themes from that game I do not care for (Wang, Lee, Armor King, King, Kunimitsu, Devil/Angel, Heihachi, Lei). All of these themes are meh.

I think most people glorifying the Tekken 2 OST just have nostalgia headphones on.

Damn that's nice

Hope they got a version with OST and a good artbook for the release of T7.
Not that garbage WE ARE TEKKEN artbook with just the different select art panels.

Yeah, I hope for a real good artbook packaged in a limited edition
in 2016.

http://youtu.be/WG2L5sU7mwQ

Twilight Conflict deciding match and one or both players has to be playing as Lars.

It's okay....
Bookmarking here since your link isn't time stamped. I'd have to hear it without all the character grunting to make a decision.

lupinko

Tekken 2's good tracks are really good but its bad tracks are really bad. And there are a lot of character themes from that game I do not care for (Wang, Lee, Armor King, King, Kunimitsu, Devil/Angel, Heihachi, Lei). All of these themes are meh.

I think most people glorifying the Tekken 2 OST just have nostalgia headphones on.

Yeah, I hope for a real good artbook packaged in a limited edition
in 2016.

It's okay....
Bookmarking here since your link isn't time stamped. I'd have to hear it without all the character grunting to make a decision.

It's a full vocal metal ballad.

It's great well compared to the rest of the T7 songs, it's really slim pickings from here.

cordy

Banned
Horrible ranking of OSTs.

And why are you comparing two tracks of clearly different music genres?

Only good tracks from Tekken 2:

Nina
Anna
Character Select (posted above by you)

The Kazuya and Jun theme are also nice - but kind of find them overly praised from people with their nostalgia glasses on.

Compared to the sheer number of quality tracks in later games, Tekken 2 doesn't hold shit to most of the Tekken games.

First of all, why am I comparing the 2 tracks?

Did you miss the fact that I linked 2 different character select screens themes? They were posted purely because of that. I'm not going to post 2 different tracks because they're "the same genre of 2 different Tekken games". I'm comparing 2 different tracks because they're both character select music. The same would apply if I posted 2 Credits themes or 2 Intro themes. It all fits within it's purpose.

As for you saying "horrible ranking of OST", that's your opinion but personally I can't take anyone's opinion of T2's soundtrack if they don't rate Yoshimitsu, Paul and King's themes as good/great tracks. If those what you've linked are the only good tracks you see in T2 then it's a lost cause. T2's soundtrack was amazing.

The later Tekken games (6, TTT2, Rev) have a major problem: they sound too similar. Not only are the tempos very similar but the sounds and "aura" are similar. They were probably all mixed similarly unlike previous Tekken games which all seem to have been mixed differently which is why they can go for one tempo to the next and not only that but the tracks aren't limited by how they feel. In the later Tekkens? All of the music is very fast-paced. Previous Tekken games are more diverse, the themes can range from slow to quick to more somber to more rapid, it depends on the situation, the mix and exactly what they used when creating the song. Given today's technology it's likely the plugins used in the newer Tekken games traveled across each track hence why they sound as though they were mixed very similarly which can cause an issue. That wouldn't apply with the earlier Tekken titles as the technology back then wasn't near as advanced as now. An example is this: later Tekken games sound as though an artist had a particular layout and they used that same layout to make each track while keeping the same tempo and boom, they made an album. The older Tekkens? An artist had a set of instruments and built each track based on the setting and then when they're all done they combine into one album which is why they all have different tempos and feels. If I put in T6 or TTT2 each track sounds like fast fight music, if I turn on T2 it doesn't feel that way, it feels like the music to the stage in which I fight to.

Go back and listen to T6's soundtrack. Basically the game had the mostly speedy pace that came with the T5 era and mixed that in with the sounds of the current era. Go listen to the tempo in T6 and also listen to the tempo in TTT2. After that go listen to T2 and T3. They don't have this issue. There's also more transitions in the former tracks as well. Besides that, the later games just have more forgettable tracks.

Basically I'm saying you have your own opinion but I highly disagree.
Dont even bother, is the worst, uninspired and boring. I hope they change it for FR.

Many of the songs sound as if they were made when dubstep was still a thing.

That's kind of what I think of the music so far, not many songs stand out. Only maybe 2-3 and honestly Akuma's theme might have the best music in the game next to Kazumi's. These later Tekken games just don't have that feeling the previous ones do, it's sad.

Completely agree with your OST ranking. T3 is my favorite tho.

Indeed, masterful soundtrack.

sasuke_91

Sometimes I get self conscious and feel bad about how much vitriol I've thrown towards Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Tekken 7, Bandai Namco and the faces that represent the company. At this point I can concisely say that I'm tired of making the same jokes over and over and sounding like I don't appreciate Tekken when I really do. This thread almost has 15,000 posts and I'm willing to bet that about 2/3 of them involve me and others complaining about stuff. I've been complaining about most of the same stuff and I don't want people to genuinely think that I hate anything involving Tekken. I'm tired, we're all tired, and I'll try to scale back the trashy posts about the wait for Tekken 7. Thanks brehs.

My thoughts exactly. I already told you that I have to change my attitude towards Tekken 7 a little. Honestly, constantly complaining about the game is more tiring than actually waiting for the game.

By the way, have you seen the Dark Souls 3 thread in Gaming about Bamco fucking up Dark Souls 3's release because some streamers get to play the game early and "destroy the community discovery aspect" of the game? Good thing he's probably not a Tekken player.

I started playing Tekken with Tekken 3. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, at least for me.

Sayah

First of all, why am I comparing the 2 tracks?

Did you miss the fact that I linked 2 different character select screens themes? They were posted purely because of that. I'm not going to post 2 different tracks because they're "the same genre of 2 different Tekken games". I'm comparing 2 different tracks because they're both character select music. The same would apply if I posted 2 Credits themes or 2 Intro themes. It all fits within it's purpose.

As for you saying "horrible ranking of OST", that's your opinion but personally I can't take anyone's opinion of T2's soundtrack if they don't rate Yoshimitsu, Paul and King's themes as good/great tracks. If those what you've linked are the only good tracks you see in T2 then it's a lost cause. T2's soundtrack was amazing.

The later Tekken games (6, TTT2, Rev) have a major problem: they sound too similar. Not only are the tempos very similar but the sounds and "aura" are similar. They were probably all mixed similarly unlike previous Tekken games which all seem to have been mixed differently which is why they can go for one tempo to the next and not only that but the tracks aren't limited by how they feel. In the later Tekkens? All of the music is very fast-paced. Previous Tekken games are more diverse, the themes can range from slow to quick to more somber to more rapid, it depends on the situation, the mix and exactly what they used when creating the song. Given today's technology it's likely the plugins used in the newer Tekken games traveled across each track hence why they sound as though they were mixed very similarly which can cause an issue. That wouldn't apply with the earlier Tekken titles as the technology back then wasn't near as advanced as now. An example is this: later Tekken games sound as though an artist had a particular layout and they used that same layout to make each track while keeping the same tempo and boom, they made an album. The older Tekkens? An artist had a set of instruments and built each track based on the setting and then when they're all done they combine into one album which is why they all have different tempos and feels. If I put in T6 or TTT2 each track sounds like fast fight music, if I turn on T2 it doesn't feel that way, it feels like the music to the stage in which I fight to.

Go back and listen to T6's soundtrack. Basically the game had the mostly speedy pace that came with the T5 era and mixed that in with the sounds of the current era. Go listen to the tempo in T6 and also listen to the tempo in TTT2. After that go listen to T2 and T3. They don't have this issue. There's also more transitions in the former tracks as well. Besides that, the later games just have more forgettable tracks.

Basically I'm saying you have your own opinion but I highly disagree.

That's kind of what I think of the music so far, not many songs stand out. Only maybe 2-3 and honestly Akuma's theme might have the best music in the game next to Kazumi's. These later Tekken games just don't have that feeling the previous ones do, it's sad.

oh man, I forgot you post walls of text. Why did I instigate this.
I can't have a productive discussion with you if you're writing an essay as a reply.

TONDq.gif

Brevity is Beautiful

Thats the ONLY good one so far.
NO IT'S NOT

Jungle Outpost Version 1
Jungle Outpost Version 2
Souq Version 2
Main Menu

cordy

Banned
oh man, I forgot you post walls of text. Why did I instigate this.
I can't have a productive discussion with you if you're writing an essay as a reply.

TONDq.gif

L4lPe8a.gif

?

Dawg, you're the one who responded to me in the first place, like the last time, I wasn't talking to you. I'm sorry but I can't break my posts down to make them more simple so you'll understand them, if you wanna know why I made the ranking then read above. Until then we have nothing to talk about because you actually refuse to read. The fact you claim you can't have a productive discussion because YOU are the one who refuses to read another's pov is ignorance. It's really that simple. If you refuse then refuse, don't say I'm in the wrong when you refuse to even read why I stated that.

I stick by my ranking. The older Tekkens had better music.

Sayah

L4lPe8a.gif

?

Dawg, you're the one who responded to me in the first place, like the last time, I wasn't talking to you. I'm sorry but I can't break my posts down to make them more simple so you'll understand them, if you wanna know why I made the ranking then read above. Until then we have nothing to talk about because you actually refuse to read. The fact you claim you can't have a productive discussion because YOU are the one who refuses to read another's pov is ignorance. It's really that simple. If you refuse then refuse, don't say I'm in the wrong when you refuse to even read why I stated that.

I stick by my ranking. The older Tekkens had better music.

It's not about simplifying posts for other. It's about not wasting other people's time and learning how to communicate concisely. I didn't read your essay and I'm not going to. Learn to get to the point and post succinctly. I don't know how many people will actually pay attention to your posts otherwise.

cordy

Banned
It's not about simplifying posts for other. It's about not wasting other people's time and learning how to communicate concisely. I didn't read your essay and I'm not going to. Learn to get to the point and post succinctly. I don't know how many people will actually pay attention to your posts otherwise.

Like I said, we have nothing to talk about until you actually read, that's childish and ignorance. I'm no kid who debates with crayons and glue, I have my facts, reasoning, references, examples and points bulletproof hence why the posts are long. I don't debate people who actually make excuses that don't even deal with the actual topic of debate. Let alone, you have the audacity to ask why I was comparing 2 Tekken games themes that were "different genres of music" without even understanding that I was comparing 2 character select screen themes, dawg you know I can't take you seriously after that. The fact you couldn't understand something so simple and now you're commenting on "too long help me"? Yeah, we're done here.

Later lol.

Sayah

:lololol
"crayons and glue"

You still don't get it.

Comparing two character selects doesn't even begin to touch the surface of this topic.
That's like me saying Killer Instinct has better music than SF and then posting two youtube links.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=killer+instinct+gold+character+select

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5trs45xW_c&nohtml5=False

"You're failing to recognize that I'm comparing TWO CHARACTER SELECTS!!!!"

Just like your inane predictions about Tekken 7 releasing before November this year worldwide. lmao.

cordy

Banned
You can't say TTT2's and REV's soundtracks sound too similar when most of T3's OST was techno funk.

Nah, I stick by that statement. T3's soundtrack not only was far more diverse as a whole compared to TTT2/REV's soundtracks but the tempos of the tracks switched up a bit more, they were composed far more differently and the same with them being mixed differently. Most T3 tracks sound differently at the end of the song compared to the beginning, you rarely get that with the later Tekken games. The "sound too similar" comment relates mostly to how the tempo and how the tracks are mixed/layered. Besides that, they had a different aura attached to a good amount of them compared to the later Tekken games which, the majority of the themes, are "fast frantic fight music". Namco's gotten far more lazy. What I mean is this...an example in hip-hop, say an artist has an album with 16 tracks, each with 3 verses, 16 bars a verse, 8 bar hook done 3 times, say they use the same drums on each track. A lot of artists copied that format. Now translate that to the later Tekken games. Same structure, the majority are the "fast fight music", all that that repetitive underlying foundation attached to it, you know, the "du-du-du-du" foundation which acts as the drums. Previous Tekkens didn't follow that pattern. It's not about the instruments used to make the track, it's about how the tracks are composed.

Just go back and listen to TTT2's soundtrack now with this in mind and then relisten to T2 and T3s. I did that after I made my rankings and it's stuck out a bit more compared to when I was a kid and played the older Tekkens.

I do music for a living and work with Pro Tools daily so maybe others don't hear what I mean when I mention the song structure being far more advanced in later Tekken games. I don't know but it's too noticeable to me. It's like comparing a Just Blaze beat to a DJ Mustard beat. Personally, I just can't rate TTT2 higher due to that. It's a bit more amateur to the earlier Tekkens. These guys just have gotten more lazy and it's sad.

cordy

Banned
After sitting with it a bit I think I'm finally used to Heihachi's new costume. While I agreed with the design change (since it's a new costume), it took a while for me to like it.

TK7FR_wga34za03.jpg

It fits him. Hopefully we can customize the upper part if need be.

sasuke_91

https://youtu.be/k3RRGDay_oE

TMM wants to prove how easy it is to play Xiaoyu by getting a 10 win streak with a double Ling team. Starts at ~1:14:00
He barely wins his first match, loses the second one and barely wins his third match. That's where I stopped watching because it got a little embarrassing.
Blaming his incompetence on the characters he can't play against. And of course his fanboys agree with him.

av2k

TMM wants to prove how easy it is to play Xiaoyu by getting a 10 win streak with a double Ling team. Starts at ~1:14:00
He barely wins his first match, loses the second one and barely wins his third match. That's where I stopped watching because it got a little embarrassing.
Blaming his incompetence on the characters he can't play against. And of course his fanboys agree with him.

This dude is playing double Mishimas and is complaining about Lings?

lol.

Rajang

This dude is playing double Mishimas and is complaining about Lings?

lol.

Haha.

Oh man I cant stand that guy.

GrayFoxPL

He didn't even do it. Got 5 wins against kyu's ranked players and died.

Mo8g3NB.gif

Don't worry about guys like him. I heard the same shit about every character I played(online). Most suckers are hilariously bad losers.

I gotta slowly get back to Tekken, I've been on a break for ages or so it feels like.

Where is FR Kuma?!

cMxonyY.gif

cordy

Banned
I gotta ask...what are some things you want in the console version of T7/FR? Or what hasn't been announced you looking for? Not what you'll get but what you want and think has a chance of happening. Here's personally what I'd prefer

- Armor King, Eddy Gordo, Julia Chang, Jun Kazama, Kuma/Panda, Lee Chaloan, Lei Wulong, Mokujin, Raven, Alex/Roger all need to be in the game. It's the end of the Mishima Saga so before an inevitable timeskip we need to get these characters in 1 last time
- Amazing Training Mode: A lot of fighters these days have shitty ones, the majority, Namco it's time to come with it. Give the best training mode you can possibly create, we beg of you
- Tekken Force/Devil Within/Scenario-like mode that's actually fun. Namco's already commented on this, Harada hinted Story Mode will be big so if they combine the 2 modes again like in T6 then make it worth while, fun and just great...
- If they don't combine the modes then make Story Mode amazing filled with cutscenes, actual plot setting up the fights just whatever
- Flashback Mode: To get some newer players (and older players) in you gotta bring in nostalgia and inform the newer players of the story. They won't know about the Mishima history so give us a history mode filled with slides like in Arcade Mode telling the stories from T1 all the way to pre-T7. You win? You get a Legacy Costume and maybe a Legacy Stage.
- Unlockables unlockable unlockables and not just costume pieces. I loved unlocking characters and what not so let's go back to that even specific stages, legacy costumes, just all sorts of stuff
- Legacy Costumes: Like above, give us some of these. I wanna play Jin wearing his T3 outfit, I wanna play Paul wearing his T2 outfit. If not the full costume, at least make it customizable
- Tekken Tunes...yep
- Old Stages: Last of the Mishima Saga so why not? Shit, make this free DLC later, we don't care
- REMIXED MUSIC: Since this game will likely have remixed music (especially judging one of the FR trailers) please Namco make the music great and not half-assed like what's been mostly in these games the past 10 years, ughhhh
- Arcade Mode and Ghost Mode: Unlike SFV I think we'll have 0 problem with this one, throwing shots
- Tekken Theater, yep you gotta, even movies from older Tekken games
- Potentially a "fun" mode like Tekken Ball, bowling, whatever

They do all of that (or most of that) and the game will be classic in my book.

GrayFoxPL

I want the copy pasting to stop. Shit is lazy copy pasted to hell and back and it's like we should kiss their feet for 2 new moves(from which one is old really) per character. It's a new game, make new fucking movesets.

Also maybe pay voice actors few $ to record new lines? Is that too much Scrooge McDuck?

But in the reality I don't expect anything from them. Zero. And it still can end up in disappointment.

They made this shitty mundane situation where there only be a handful of fans left to even give a shit when they eventually release the game.

AAK

Please Namco.... just give me a legitimate BT Screw Attack animation that follows proper rigid body physics for the console release at least.

cordy

Banned
I want the copy pasting to stop. Shit is lazy copy pasted to hell and back and it's like we should kiss their feet for 2 new moves(from which one is old really) per character. It's a new game, make new fucking movesets.

Also maybe pay voice actors few $ to record new lines? Is that too much Scrooge McDuck?

But in the reality I don't expect anything from them. Zero. And it still can end up in disappointment.

They made this shitty mundane situation where there only be a handful of fans left to even give a shit when they eventually release the game.

Yeah you're right about that. Right now I feel that they're only going to replace movelists when they come out with a Tekken 8. After this we'll probably see a TxSF expansion since I doubt it'll be a full brand-new game, ride off of that into TTT3 maybe and then T8 idk years from now.

I just don't see us getting new moves lists until T8 hits since I think that'll be a timeskip with a "revival" of the franchise. Hell, something else I doubt they'll do but I wouldn't mind if Namco came out with a "Tekken Flashback" game that's basically 1+2 remixed with HD graphics, new properties, just throwbacks.

Either way they gotta do something because it's no fun using the same exact movelist from game to game with maybe slightly different properties and maybe 2 new moves.

GrayFoxPL

Please Namco.... just give me a legitimate BT Screw Attack animation that follows proper rigid body physics for the console release at least.

Just find some old animation they can copy for this purpose and maybe they'll do it.

Otherwise every yen goes on those UE4 graphic assets. It takes them 5 months and 400 000 $ to make a hat for Lili.

Numb

Just find some old animation they can copy for this purpose and maybe they'll do it.

Otherwise every yen goes on those UE4 graphic assets. It takes them 5 months and 400 000 $ to make a hat for Lili.
The streets would be red if the hat wasn't there tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom