• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to have a go of TTT2 yesterday for the first time in over a year, and I also tried using my arcade stick for the first time, and unlike 2D fighters it felt a lot more natural to me.
So, with my newfound stick enjoyment, I'm thinking of learning how to play Tekken at a somewhat decent level. I could never get into Tekken; most of my time playing the original TTT was devoted to Tekken Bowl, and TTT2 was awkward because I played it not long after playing Soul Calibur V, which I was pretty good at, and TTT2 was a 3D fighter that felt completely different. It was also made more awkward due to the fact that I mained Yoshimitsu on SCV, and the TTT2 version of him felt so different in comparison.

Anyway, I hate being the 'help me choose a character guy', but I honestly don't know how many characters I should be learning. Armor King and Yoshimitsu are my favourites, and I'm struggling to remember all their moves, but I also like playing as Kunimitsu, Wang, Anna, Jaycee, Steve, Jun, Roger Jr., Kazuya, Feng, P. Jack, Miharu, Lei, Christie, Zafina, and Bryan. I definitely want to learn some of these, but I feel like I'm throwing myself in at the deep end by trying to learn 17 characters, and I'm not really sure who I'd narrow it down to. Should I just stick with Armor King and Yoshimitsu for now and learn the basics of Tekken/those characters as them, or would I be wiser to pick a more traditional character instead of Yoshimitsu to learn the basics with?

I've also skimmed through the basics guide on the first page, and am I correct in saying that wavedashing for characters like Armor King, Mishimas, and whoever else has that sort of crouch step forward move with f,d,d/f is done by doing that input then cancelling it with d, so f,d,d/f,d,f,d,d/f,d etc,?

Spuck-uk

Banned
Not just 17 characters, but with the exception of Jack, Feng, Kunimitsu* most of the Hardest characters in the game as well!

*Kunimitsu is garbage though.

Numb

I decided to have a go of TTT2 yesterday for the first time in over a year, and I also tried using my arcade stick for the first time, and unlike 2D fighters it felt a lot more natural to me.
So, with my newfound stick enjoyment, I'm thinking of learning how to play Tekken at a somewhat decent level. I could never get into Tekken; most of my time playing the original TTT was devoted to Tekken Bowl, and TTT2 was awkward because I played it not long after playing Soul Calibur V, which I was pretty good at, and TTT2 was a 3D fighter that felt completely different. It was also made more awkward due to the fact that I mained Yoshimitsu on SCV, and the TTT2 version of him felt so different in comparison.

Anyway, I hate being the 'help me choose a character guy', but I honestly don't know how many characters I should be learning. Armor King and Yoshimitsu are my favourites, and I'm struggling to remember all their moves, but I also like playing as Kunimitsu, Wang, Anna, Jaycee, Steve, Jun, Roger Jr., Kazuya, Feng, P. Jack, Miharu, Lei, Christie, Zafina, and Bryan. I definitely want to learn some of these, but I feel like I'm throwing myself in at the deep end by trying to learn 17 characters, and I'm not really sure who I'd narrow it down to. Should I just stick with Armor King and Yoshimitsu for now and learn the basics of Tekken/those characters as them, or would I be wiser to pick a more traditional character instead of Yoshimitsu to learn the basics with?

I've also skimmed through the basics guide on the first page, and am I correct in saying that wavedashing for characters like Armor King, Mishimas, and whoever else has that sort of crouch step forward move with f,d,d/f is done by doing that input then cancelling it with d, so f,d,d/f,d,f,d,d/f,d etc,?
No need to move away from Yoshi because he is less traditional. Use him together with Armour King and just learn as much as you can. Kunimitsu is also good with Yoshi since she shares moves and some mind games and is almost a clone character to a degree more so than anyone else thus makes it easier to pick a team.

Not just 17 characters, but with the exception of Jack, Feng, Kunimitsu* most of the Hardest characters in the game as well!

Really? That's just my luck.
I like Kunimtsu because she feels like a mix between Yoshimitsu and Natsu/Netsu/whatever not-Taki was called on SCV.

No need too move away from Yoshi because he is less traditional. Use him together with Armour King and just learn as much as you can. Kunimitsu is also good with Yoshi since she shares moves and some mind games and is almost a clone character to a degree more so than anyone else thus makes it easier to pick a team.

Right, I'll do that for now then, then try out others once I get more familiar with the game.

Wang, Anna, Jun, and Kunimitsu are probably my favourites/ the ones I actually understand what I'm doing at a basic level with out of the others I listed. I can also do the non crouching Waning Moon with Wang so I've already got some sick advanced techniques with him
:p

GrayFoxPL

Kunimitsu isn't garbage. No one is true garbage in this game.

On characters it depends what characters you want to mix together. Both straightforward, both complicated, mixed etc. Kazuya+Bryan would be very strong and straightforward. Steve+Kaz is a team I use, super strong but you must know Steve well, he has million different punches.
Feng is a character with both straight offensive gameplay and mix of stance options, can be adapted to anyone. Strong character. Jun has tons of strings but very little of natural combos. If you like mixing up opponent to death you are good to go, but she doesn't get anything for free. Woman got to work. Easy to connect long juggles if you get a launch though. Miharu, Lei, Christie, Zafina are stance heavy characters. Not really characters you straight jump into and start owning. But if you are willing to put time into, the satisfaction is there. 2 characters in this type in a team mind be a mindfuck not only for opponent but also for you, lol.
Kunimitsu is straightforward, but I like her. Pick her if you don't want to memorize billion moves and stances. That comes at a price of predictability, she's not Yoshimitsu. So at higher level you must mix up everything she's got.
JayCee is a specific character. If you know Changs you know Changs. You gotta have that "shotgun" lock and loaded that is d,df+1 and extensions like d,df+1,3_4,1 loop for combos that has annoying tendency to be dropped online for no reason. You just have to be a Chang player.
Wang is deceiving character. Heavy on powerful blows and launches. He hits like a truck, doesn't really screw around. His parry used with timing is borderline broken. He's often unsafe otherwise.
Roger is troll. Roger has hilarious low juggle damage, even in tag. Though on the ground damage from things like f+1+2,2 can cause a facepalm. Has giant swing. You must have that troll in blood. P.Jack, I like him more then Jack 6 but he can't compete. Still way more fun character, just little "junky" lol.
Anna, well Anna is Williams. When she starts her strings into sidestep you lose half of life if you guess wrong. I know people can deal with her but I can't, so I hate her and can't recommend her, lol. Very strong.

Crouch dashing you don't cancel with d. It's f,n,d,df,n,f,n,d,df,n,f etc or even f,n,qcf,n,f,n,qcf,n,f,n

On characters it depends what characters you want to mix together. Both straightforward, both complicated, mixed etc. Kazuya+Bryan would be very strong and straightforward. Steve+Kaz is a team I use, super strong but you must know Steve well, he has million different punches.
Feng is a character with both straight offensive gameplay and mix of stance options, can be adapted to anyone. Strong character. Jun has tons of strings but very little of natural combos. If you like mixing up opponent to death you are good to go, but she doesn't get anything for free. Woman got to work. Easy to connect long juggles if you get a launch though. Miharu, Lei, Christie, Zafina are stance heavy characters. Not really characters you straight jump into and start owning. But if you are willing to put time into, the satisfaction is there. 2 characters in this type in a team mind be a mindfuck not only for opponent but also for you, lol.
Kunimitsu is straightforward, but I like her. Pick her if you don't want to memorize billion moves and stances. That comes at a price of predictability, she's not Yoshimitsu. So at higher level you must mix up everything she's got.
JayCee is a specific character. If you know Changs you know Changs. You gotta have that "shotgun" lock and loaded that is d,df+1 and extensions like d,df+1,3_4,1 loop for combos that has annoying tendency to be dropped online for no reason. You just have to be a Chang player.
Wang is deceiving character. Heavy on powerful blows and launches. He hits like a truck, doesn't really screw around. His parry used with timing is borderline broken. He's often unsafe otherwise.
Roger is troll. Roger has hilarious low juggle damage, even in tag. Though on the ground damage from things like f+1+2,2 can cause a facepalm. Has giant swing. You must have that troll in blood. P.Jack, I like him more then Jack 6 but he can't compete. Still way more fun character, just little "junky" lol.
Anna, well Anna is Williams. When she starts her strings into sidestep you lose half of life if you guess wrong. I know people can deal with her but I can't, so I hate her and can't recommend her, lol. Very strong.

Crouch dashing you don't cancel with d. It's f,n,d,df,n,f,n,d,df,n,f etc or even f,n,qcf,n,f,n,qcf,n,f,n

Wow, OK, this is pretty in depth, thanks. I'll go through it slowly. So...

Kazuya: I can't EWGF at all. I think I pulled one off yesterday, but that was sheer luck, so I don't think I'm ready for him yet.
Bryan: I've tried him once, and don't really remember what he can do. I just enjoyed him on SFxT. Same with...
Steve: He was my main on SFxT, so I have a grasp on his different stances and what have you. However, this grasp doesn't apply to 3D space. I've tried him out a bit on this, and he does seem to be the type of character I like, plus like I said, he was my SFxT main, and Dudley is my SF4 main, so I enjoy boxers. I'd definitely like to put the time into learning him, but he does seem quite complex in the sense that a lot of his moves, being that most of them are punches, it gets a bit difficult for me to distinguish between them at this point.
Feng: I remember him seeming fairly simple to use compared to a lot of the other characters I used. I'm not really a fan of him per say, but he seemed like the best beginner/low barrier of entry character for me I guess.
Jun: I enjoy the look of her combo strings, but you're saying I can't really combo those strings into anything?
Miharu: Out of the 4 stance characters I mentioned she's the one I have the most idea what I'm doing with. She also seems to be the simplest of those stance characters, but I could just be being presumptuous and kidding myself here.
Lei: I'm never going to be able to figure him out, but I love his fighting style so damn much, and on this game he no longer looks like Kevin Sorbo like he did on TTT1, so that's another reason why I like him. I understand his stances, but it's the whole changing between them mid combo/knowing what move'll bring me into what stance that I can't get my head around.
Christie: Elena was my 3rd Strike main, so I tried to learn Tekken's female capoeira character. I know a lot of people aren't very welcoming towards Eddy and Christie due to how mash friendly they are, and while I plan to actually learn how to play, I can see myself falling into bad habits with someone like her, especially if my bad habits actually get me a win or two.
Zafina: She's really difficult to use. I just love the Egyptian theme, and was hoping that she was secretly a simple character to use.
Kunimitsu: I found her easy-ish to understand. Out of all the character I tried when the game came out, she was the only one I could actually do things with. I've not tried her in a while though. She felt familiar coming from SCV.
Jaycee: She seemed to work well with Armor King, and she has some fun looking attacks. I'm not really familiar with the Chang's gameplay to be honest. I remember her, well Julia, seeming very rushdown orientated on SFxT, so I'd assume she'd be the same on Tekken.
Wang: I tried out Wang when I was doing my initial round of going through all the characters movesets to see who I like, and I saw him and thought to myself I'll get his done with quickly so I can try out a cooler character's moves. Turns out he was fun as all hell to play as, and I stayed in training mode for a while trying out different things with him. The parry that he has seems tough to use, and I know I won't be able to pull it off consistently yet, but it looks so damn fun to use. What moves can he parry?
Roger Jr.: Roger was obviously the greatest character in the Tekken series, being a kangaroo and all, and it was a crime that they replaced him with Roger Jr. However, I still enjoy Jr.'s playstyle, and the fact that if I remember correctly they share some moves with Armor King is a plus too. I'm definitely a fan of the more unorthodox characters though, that's for sure.
P. Jack: He seemed a bit too clunky for me, and my loyalty to him is solely due to him being amazing at Tekken Bowl.
Anna: Anna seemed fun to use, and I liked that grab that she has that she can combo into other grabs. I can't remember the inputs for the different strings though, although I'm not sure how important they actually are. I remember a few of Armor King's Cobra Clutch follow ups, but learning two characters with that type of command grab'll get me mixed up. Unless of course they're not really important to know.

I guess looking at it like that I'd say Wang, Kunimitsu, Anna, and Roger are the characters I'd most like to get into using/could use at a basic level, and leave characters like Kazuya, Steve, Jaycee etc. for when I'm more used to the game. I'll just stick with Armor King and Yoshimitsu for the time being though.

And that's what I meant for the wavedash, no idea why I put cancel with d. I was just getting my inputs mixed up. My on screen inputs are showing f,n,qcf,n etc.
Should I be using f,n,d/f,n instead, or am I OK using the quarter circle forward?

Anyway, thanks for that, and I apologise for any dumb questions/statements I've made.

Sayah

You can do EWGF easily if you assign the right punch button to the L1 shoulder button on the controller. Do the same dragon punch type motion and hold d/f with L1 and it'll come out a lot easier.

Being an Anna player, I would highly recommend Anna. :p

Once you learn how to really use her setups and mixups, it's really some of the most I've ever had playing a character.

You can do EWGF easily if you assign the right punch button to the L1 shoulder button on the controller. Do the same dragon punch type motion and hold d/f with L1 and it'll come out a lot easier.

Being an Anna player, I would highly recommend Anna. :p

Once you learn how to really use her setups and mixups, it's really some of the most I've ever had playing a character.

I'm using an arcade stick. I'd only played with a controller before yesterday, but I'm not a fan of assigning multiple buttons to a shoulder button, i.e. putting 2 and 3 as R1 for example, and Yoshimitsu requires a load of inputs like that, so I decided I might as well try to learn on stick, and so far I'm finding it easy to get into.

I'm just having a quick try as Kazuya now, and I think I got it to come out again. Is it an EWGF if it makes the sort of electric sound that his while standing 2 has? What causes an EWGF, is it doing the whole input fast, or inputting 2 at the precise time?

I'll definitely look into playing Anna. From what I've played of her she seems fun to use, and has a lot of brutal looking attacks.

Edit: Yep, it was definitely an EWGF that I did. I have Nina set to guard all, and my uppercut sparked, made a crackling noise, and we pushed away from each other.

Sayah

I'm using an arcade stick. I'd only played with a controller before yesterday, but I'm not a fan of assigning multiple buttons to a shoulder button, i.e. putting 2 and 3 as R1 for example, and Yoshimitsu requires a load of inputs like that, so I decided I might as well try to learn on stick, and so far I'm finding it easy to get into.

I'm just having a quick try as Kazuya now, and I think I got it to come out again. Is it an EWGF if it makes the sort of electric sound that his while standing 2 has? What causes an EWGF, is it doing the whole input fast, or inputting 2 at the precise time?

I'll definitely look into playing Anna. From what I've played of her she seems fun to use, and has a lot of brutal looking attacks.

Proper EWGF causes pushback on block and there is more electric.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgmCDessS4g

Proper EWGF causes pushback on block and there is more electric.

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgmCDessS4g

Yeah, that's what happened. I've got it a few times up to now, but it's certainly not consistent.
My input for it is showing as f,n,d,d/f+2,f+2,2. So I need to hit d/f and 2 at the same time, right? I just got it twice in a row using a shoryuken input, and hitting 2 when I hit down.

OK, I can hit it consistently, like every 3 attempts I'll get it, and then hit it two or three times in a row, using the L1 method on the PS3 controller. How come it's so easier doing it that way, is it because I'm doing everything with one hand?

Sayah

Yeah, that's what happened. I've got it a few times up to now, but it's certainly not consistent.
My input for it is showing as f,n,d,d/f+2,f+2,2. So I need to hit d/f and 2 at the same time, right? I just got it twice in a row using a shoryuken input, and hitting 2 when I hit down.

OK, I can hit it consistently, like every 3 attempts I'll get it, and then hit it two or three times in a row, using the L1 method on the PS3 controller. How come it's so easier doing it that way, is it because I'm doing everything with one hand?

Yeah, you have to time d/f with 2.

And the L1 method is how I learned it. I'm not even sure what makes it easier with the L1 method. Probably is the fact that you're using one hand.

GrayFoxPL

Wow, OK, this is pretty in depth, thanks. I'll go through it slowly. So...

Kazuya: I can't EWGF at all. I think I pulled one off yesterday, but that was sheer luck, so I don't think I'm ready for him yet.
Bryan: I've tried him once, and don't really remember what he can do. I just enjoyed him on SFxT. Same with...
Steve: He was my main on SFxT, so I have a grasp on his different stances and what have you. However, this grasp doesn't apply to 3D space. I've tried him out a bit on this, and he does seem to be the type of character I like, plus like I said, he was my SFxT main, and Dudley is my SF4 main, so I enjoy boxers. I'd definitely like to put the time into learning him, but he does seem quite complex in the sense that a lot of his moves, being that most of them are punches, it gets a bit difficult for me to distinguish between them at this point.
Feng: I remember him seeming fairly simple to use compared to a lot of the other characters I used. I'm not really a fan of him per say, but he seemed like the best beginner/low barrier of entry character for me I guess.
Jun: I enjoy the look of her combo strings, but you're saying I can't really combo those strings into anything?
Miharu: Out of the 4 stance characters I mentioned she's the one I have the most idea what I'm doing with. She also seems to be the simplest of those stance characters, but I could just be being presumptuous and kidding myself here.
Lei: I'm never going to be able to figure him out, but I love his fighting style so damn much, and on this game he no longer looks like Kevin Sorbo like he did on TTT1, so that's another reason why I like him. I understand his stances, but it's the whole changing between them mid combo/knowing what move'll bring me into what stance that I can't get my head around.
Christie: Elena was my 3rd Strike main, so I tried to learn Tekken's female capoeira character. I know a lot of people aren't very welcoming towards Eddy and Christie due to how mash friendly they are, and while I plan to actually learn how to play, I can see myself falling into bad habits with someone like her, especially if my bad habits actually get me a win or two.
Zafina: She's really difficult to use. I just love the Egyptian theme, and was hoping that she was secretly a simple character to use.
Kunimitsu: I found her easy-ish to understand. Out of all the character I tried when the game came out, she was the only one I could actually do things with. I've not tried her in a while though. She felt familiar coming from SCV.
Jaycee: She seemed to work well with Armor King, and she has some fun looking attacks. I'm not really familiar with the Chang's gameplay to be honest. I remember her, well Julia, seeming very rushdown orientated on SFxT, so I'd assume she'd be the same on Tekken.
Wang: I tried out Wang when I was doing my initial round of going through all the characters movesets to see who I like, and I saw him and thought to myself I'll get his done with quickly so I can try out a cooler character's moves. Turns out he was fun as all hell to play as, and I stayed in training mode for a while trying out different things with him. The parry that he has seems tough to use, and I know I won't be able to pull it off consistently yet, but it looks so damn fun to use. What moves can he parry?
Roger Jr.: Roger was obviously the greatest character in the Tekken series, being a kangaroo and all, and it was a crime that they replaced him with Roger Jr. However, I still enjoy Jr.'s playstyle, and the fact that if I remember correctly they share some moves with Armor King is a plus too. I'm definitely a fan of the more unorthodox characters though, that's for sure.
P. Jack: He seemed a bit too clunky for me, and my loyalty to him is solely due to him being amazing at Tekken Bowl.
Anna: Anna seemed fun to use, and I liked that grab that she has that she can combo into other grabs. I can't remember the inputs for the different strings though, although I'm not sure how important they actually are. I remember a few of Armor King's Cobra Clutch follow ups, but learning two characters with that type of command grab'll get me mixed up. Unless of course they're not really important to know.

I guess looking at it like that I'd say Wang, Kunimitsu, Anna, and Roger are the characters I'd most like to get into using/could use at a basic level, and leave characters like Kazuya, Steve, Jaycee etc. for when I'm more used to the game. I'll just stick with Armor King and Yoshimitsu for the time being though.

And that's what I meant for the wavedash, no idea why I put cancel with d. I was just getting my inputs mixed up. My on screen inputs are showing f,n,qcf,n etc.
Should I be using f,n,d/f,n instead, or am I OK using the quarter circle forward?

Anyway, thanks for that, and I apologise for any dumb questions/statements I've made.

No, no. No dumb questions, don't worry. There are players who don't understand how things work, fail and say Tekken sucks. And all you should do is ask, and things get easier.

In SFxT the characters are way different, you shouldn't really look at them in similar way. Kazuya is the most faithful, but still.

Speaking of Kazuya, he's great no matter what. He's the Ryu of Tekken, with the exception Ryu can never get such huge damage of a single uppercut every time, ha. (we'll see in TxSF...). I'll recommend him to everyone. Electrics will come with practice. Online lag will often mess mine up and I still do good regardless. I met players who do great without them. Kaz df+2 is godly anyway. Full combo on counterhit and you'll likely to hit it as much as you would do an electric on ch if not more.
Regular f,n,d,df+2 wind god fist is still great anyway. And has an advantage of having a real long high crush, pretty much as long as you like. Electric has a very short window for high crush. Electrics are great because hitbox becomes huge and it's +5 on block.
They are not technically faster moves because after inputing command both versions are 11 frames it's just your input that must be faster at least one frame to hit f,n,d and df plus 2 on same frame. Kazuya also has the fastest ewgf in the game by his special input f,n,df+2. That is 1 frame faster then any other ewgf in the game but that's for deeper, more hardcore stuff.

Awesome ewgf comparison btw.

But I'm getting off track. I'm saying not being good with ewgf at first is not the reason to not pick Kaz and start playing (and be good with him!). He's great base powerful character that practically teaches how to play Tekken. Anyone should try him. Unless someone hates Mishimas to the gut, haha.

Steve is one of my favorite characters. If you like boxers you my find him best you ever played. You just gotta put some training in memorizing his stances, sways, transitions etc. He has 2 stances Flicker and Peak-a-boo and 5 sways, left,right,back, ducking and extended ducking plus albatross spin. If you'll decide to use him, we'll help you out.

We'll anyone here can help you out with any character pretty much, so just ask.

Sayah is expert Williams sisters. Sasuke on Xiaoyu/Miharu and Hwoarang, Boutdown on Law and Bob, Doomshine on Wang, Zafina, Bryan and pretty much everyone. AAK and Manbig the same. Sayah, Boutdown and AAK are our tournament players so they really now their stuff.

And I just mentioned few.

You asked about Jun's strings. Yeah, to put it simply you can just hold back and block everything. She's not about it. The point is to pester opponent for so long that he loses patience and starts getting hit in the middle of those strings. She can cancel her string loops into sidestep, preferably sidestep+4 because this is +5 on block, so she's pretty free to start pestering with string loops again. Also cancel with b+1+2 stance but it's hard to get anything out of this then simple 1 low hit. For a patient opponent Jun is not a threat.

Some funny thing about Jun's b+1+2. This has build in auto throw counter but I never, ever seen this pulled off in a match. Ever. It just make no sense in the flow of the match to go for a throw when she does that, because everyone just launches her or punishes with a mid. I bet most players doesn't even know this counters throws because they never seen it, lol.
More important this also low parries, which actually makes sense because to stop Jun string loops usually everyone goes for d+1. She wont get huge damage of low parry but it's something and annoying for opponent.

Asuka is the simpler, more to the point, brutal, better damaging Jun. She just doesn't have that class, haha.

Wang can parry anything that is mid and high. Even stuff like Bryans machine gun punches, he just waves his hand at mach speed in hilarious manner, lol.
giphy.gif

He can't parry lows or throws. Still broken imo.

You ment Alex is a best character ever for sure! He even has Tag throw with Kaz.
Best Highest-Lowest tier Tag team eva. XD

giphy.gif

Most important thing is pick characters you like. Then you can make anyone work, no matter what tier lists say.

Wang, Kunimitsu, Anna, and Roger should make for some fun teams, go for it!

It's not magic. It's just your finger hitting a button automatically faster. I have right punch on R1. Any button does if you remember to hit it faster then usual. Matter of preference.

Edit:

Yeah you are ok with f,n,qcf,n input. Otherwise f,n,d,df,n.

DEATH™

Here's my 2 cents with Steve:

As some people said already, Steve is the most fun boxer out of all current fighting game boxers. No joke. Aesthetics wise, he can play slick and technical like Dudley and can play brawly and dirty like Boxer. Can't get any better than that lol.

To easily memorize Steve's moves, I can't recommend watching Ippo enough. Seriously... You will know Steve's moves by heart.

Gameplay wise, Steve relies on safe pressure + setup or counterhit launchers for his damage. b+1 is your primary friend. and because he is a generally safe character, you can afford throwing out some punishable moves from time to time (even some of his most punishable moves aren't launch punishable). Punishers wise he got a decent 10f, 13f and WS 11f punishers, but after that, his punishment becomes extremely weak. You can play turtly with Steve, but it just means you can throw your frame data table away and instead learn to play by feel and device your setups more.

Very very likely he won't make it. But seeing as Hwoarang's getting Baek's animations, I won't be surprised if one of the character's borrows Wangs.
Isn't Ling a student of Wang? And Feng too? I could see both of them borrowing a move or two.

Also, never seen that Alex / Kaz tag throw, hilarious.

sasuke_91

DEATH™;152209070 said:
Here's my 2 cents with Steve:

As some people said already, Steve is the most fun boxer out of all current fighting game boxers. No joke. Aesthetics wise, he can play slick and technical like Dudley and can play brawly and dirty like Boxer. Can't get any better than that lol.

To easily memorize Steve's moves, I can't recommend watching Ippo enough. Seriously... You will know Steve's moves by heart.

Gameplay wise, Steve relies on safe pressure + setup or counterhit launchers for his damage. b+1 is your primary friend. and because he is a generally safe character, you can afford throwing out some punishable moves from time to time (even some of his most punishable moves aren't launch punishable). Punishers wise he got a decent 10f, 13f and WS 11f punishers, but after that, his punishment becomes extremely weak. You can play turtly with Steve, but it just means you can throw your frame data table away and instead learn to play by feel and device your setups more.
After watching Hajime no Ippo I was very disappointed that the Dempsey Roll was called "Eightless Eight" in Steve's movelist^^

Kazuya/Steve is one of the most interesting teams in the game. Kazuya is the most basic character in the game. He doesn't even have a stance. If you want to be decent with him, you have to learn to space and punish properly. And the better your execution, the better Kaz player you will become.
Steve is the complete opposite in that regard and a very unique character. His kicks have been replaced by ducks and sways. He doesn't rely on punishers but on heavy mixup out of his stances. You have to switch between different stances a lot. His best combos have 4 stance transitions with very strict timing. Very hard character to get used to, but extremely fun and very strong. And his combo damage with Kaz as his partner is more than decent.

Good games Sayah. Those matches were a weird mix of fun and disappointment. Playing you is a little frustrating to be honest. It's like every attack results in a counterhit or a launch and not just because of the lag. It just shows the huge skillgap between us and my lack of knowledge when it comes to the Williams sisters^^

Sayah

GGs. You're pretty great with Steve and Hwoarang.

I'm sorry I'm frustrating to play against. I've been told that by others as well. :p Not sure how to fix that.

AAK

Good games Sayah. Those matches were a weird mix of fun and disappointment. Playing you is a little frustrating to be honest. It's like every attack results in a counterhit or a launch and not just because of the lag. It just shows the huge skillgap between us and my lack of knowledge when it comes to the Williams sisters^^

You have no idea about the win streaks he would impale me with using Anna in Tekken 6.

*shudders* the dark ages

AAK

LOL Hwoarang was just someone I used to give Julia max damage... I don't know how to play him :p

Joking aside... I'm half serious. There are still times when I play Hwoarang and I'm not completely in control. I wasted too much time practicing JFSR when I should have really tried mastering his RFF and RFS...

Feel free to ask, but one of the world's best players knows 10x more than I do about the character and he disclosed a hell of a lot of info right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS98Nb03Loo

sasuke_91

GGs. You're pretty great with Steve and Hwoarang.

I'm sorry I'm frustrating to play against. I've been told that by others as well. :p Not sure how to fix that.

There's nothing to be fixed. That's the way it should be :p
And thanks. I had to work very hard on that team.

You have no idea about the win streaks he would impale me with using Anna in Tekken 6.

*shudders* the dark ages
Sounds frustrating xD
Who did you main back then? You mentioned it a few times but I forgot.

Manbig

Yeah I'm joining team Hwoarang come T7. AAK teach me lol

When transitioned into RFL, d/b4 is a low that leaves him 0 on block, which sets up his 10f CH high launcher for anyone that tries to WS4 him after blocking it. That's a nice start to the gimmicks for you right there.

EDIT: No way in hell would I call Speedkicks one of the world's best players. He still has a long way to go to earn that kind of talk.

When transitioned into RFL, d/b4 is a low that leaves him 0 on block, which sets up his 10f CH high launcher for anyone that tries to WS4 him after blocking it. That's a nice start to the gimmicks for you right there.

EDIT: No way in hell would I call Speedkicks one of the world's best players. He still has a long way to go to earn that kind of talk.

speedkicks is a good example of a large amount talent not being a complete substitute for experience.

I'm not gonna touch Hwoarang until after final round since I've been playing with him the most besides my mains.

Hwoarang is really starting to finally still, I just need to figure out how to utitlize his stances a bit better.

This is all assuming Lee isn't in the game at all though but Hwoarang is sounding like a Baek replacement.

AAK

Fun fact, if Lars blocks d/b+4 from Hwoarang and he tries the f+4 from RFS, Lars's ws+1 will launch Hwoarang because that move is a natural high crush for some stupid reason.

As for SK being among the top 5 (IMO) players in the US I think it's fair to then say he's one of the best in the world.

Sounds frustrating xD
Who did you main back then? You mentioned it a few times but I forgot.

A very bootleg Armor King lol

Numb

Team Kazumi baby
If i cant have Pimpachi ill take the one who has some of his moves.
Will try Shaheen for awhile but not main him like i intended.
Also tigers??!! yes please

As for SK being among the top 5 (IMO) players in the US I think it's fair to then say he's one of the best in the world.

I honestly think US TTT2 hasn't been solid enough to really give a Top 5. Old Tekken heads don't care for the game enough and you can see it in the play. People not traveling. Only the new blood seems to really give a fuck which is why they seem to be doing so well.

I would like to blame this on the game because I've argued this plenty of times...the game isn't...solid.

Only concrete play we've seen is from Korea but they have Tekken down pat.

Dereck

As long as SK stops competing, he's the best nothing in the world.

Slow down

I haven't played you in like a year, but that's what I've noticed. Buttons, buttons, buttons.

EDIT: Did you watching swordofdios play in KiT recently? I felt like I was watching you play.

Sayah

It is kind of annoying/frustrating talking with people who say Tekken has the worst, most stiff movement in any fighting game ever and it has stayed the same since 1995. And very likely, these same people have not even played Tekken and are basing their opinion off of video footage.

*shudders* the dark ages

Well, but you improved and now we're pretty even I think. :p
There's nothing to be fixed. That's the way it should be :p
And thanks. I had to work very hard on that team.

You do just frame sky rocket so easily. I keep trying in practice and I keep failing, lol.

As long as SK stops competing, he's the best nothing in the world.

Slow down

I haven't played you in like a year, but that's what I've noticed. Buttons, buttons, buttons.

EDIT: Did you watching swordofdios play in KiT recently? I felt like I was watching you play.

I didn't watch swordofdios at KiT but I know who you're talking about. I faced him online a few times.

Also, I'm the more rushdown type of player and not very patient at all. Thus, buttons, buttons, buttons.

Dereck

I would like to play you in Tekken 6, I don't know if you still have the game, but I think it would be interesting. Primary because it would give me a chance to focus on one Williams sister instead of two, which is pretty hard.

It is kind of annoying/frustrating talking with people who say Tekken has the worst, most stiff movement in any fighting game ever and it has stayed the same since 1995. And very likely, these same people have not even played Tekken and are basing their opinion off of video footage.

I don't think that opinion is as preposterous as you're maiking me out to be. Playing SCV or VF5 and then going to Tekken can feel that way....

Sayah

I would like to play you in Tekken 6, I don't know if you still have the game, but I think it would be interesting. Primary because it would give me a chance to focus on one Williams sister instead of two, which is pretty hard.

I still have Tekken 6. It's my favorite 1v1 Tekken actually.

If you want to play online, I can go for a FT5. But of course, don't expect the netcode to be any good.

Sayah

I don't think that opinion is as preposterous as you're maiking me out to be. Playing SCV or VF5 and then going to Tekken can feel that way....

I've played all three of SCV, VF5, and DoA5 and no, I don't feel that way when I go back to Tekken.

So which opinion are you saying isn't as preposterous..

1. That the animation hasn't changed since 1995. or
2. It's the worst movement animation in fighting game history. or
3. That it's very stiff.

Because all of those opinion are very preposterous to me.

Or you could just do Solo in TTT2 and I can join in as well lol.

I am open to doing solo in Tag.

Whichever way boutdown wants to play.

Spuck-uk

Banned

I was exaggerating, there isn't anyone who isn't viable in the game (maybe Dr.B). She's definitely one of the worst characters in the game, but the lowest tier in TTT2 is decent, its a well balanced game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom