• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you guys want to sort these characters starting with the easiest to master and ending with the most complicated one, how would you rank them?

Violet
Alex
Alisa
Ogre
Angel
Armor King
Bob
Dragunov
Feng
Ganryu
Jin
Jinpachi
Jun
Kunimitsu
Leo
Michelle
P Jack
Wang
Steve

AllenShrz

Reporting from Korea...

Well that was very disappointing, I was very excited to finally go to the mythical place, green arcade... So I did, I don't mind if is not luxurious but a good mopping goes a long way....

It was very very dirty, stains everywhere, the "office" was a gigantic messy store house with a refrigerator next to it. From that office is from where they stream.

About the actual arcades.... ! They have ghosting! Straight from the mid 2000s lcds!

It doesn't help that the place is rather small with the windows closed, the noise was unbearable.

And knee wasn't there :/

I3qt75b.jpg

I'm never going to complain again about the arcades in Japan... Well maybe about smoking inside them but it did put things in perspective for me.

On the good side, it was a third of the price compared to Tokyo.

AAK

^^^Damn, that sucks to hear about your experience. Hope the rest of your trip to Korea was/will be more enjoyable.

So if you guys want to sort these characters starting with the easiest to master and ending with the most complicated one, how would you rank them?

OMG An actual discussion question!? What a rarity! :p

Assuming *Master* implies fulfilling the entire potential of the character (i.e. Jin has a universal parry where mastering that move involves experimenting with every string and attack in the game to see what is guaranteed in each moment. Another example where Bob has an infinite, so mastering him means getting the just frame timing of his execution down. Violet has a JF Acid Rain, Angel/AKing have a JF 14 frame launcher with DU & ridiculously hard low parry combo optimization so these characters would technically be pretty hard to master to their full potential)

Easiest
Ogre
P Jack
Jinpachi
Alex
Ganryu
Leo
Alisa
Kunimitsu
Feng
Wang
Dragunov
Jun
Michelle
Bob
Angel
Armor King
Violet
Steve
Jin
Hardest

Assuming *Master* implies reaching a sound enough level with the character to competently play in tournament:

Easiest
Ogre
P Jack
Bob
Jinpachi
Feng
Leo
Alex
Alisa
Armor King
Kunimitsu
Wang
Michelle
Ganryu
Dragunov
Angel
Jun
Violet
Jin
Steve
Hardest

* I am very ignorant about Alex/Feng/Ganryu/Alisa/Jun/Wang so I just threw them wherever.

** I also found it really hard to rank them on the dot, much of the people in the middle can be interchanged. I think in general Steve/Jin would be the hardest with Ogre/Jack/Jinpachi in the easy side.

sasuke_91

Easiest
Ogre
P Jack
Bob
Jinpachi
Feng
Leo
Alex
Alisa
Armor King
Kunimitsu
Wang
Michelle
Ganryu
Dragunov
Angel
Jun
Violet
Jin
Steve
Hardest

* I am very ignorant about Alex/Feng/Ganryu/Alisa/Jun/Wang so I just threw them wherever.

** I also found it really hard to rank them on the dot, much of the people in the middle can be interchanged. I think in general Steve/Jin would be the hardest with Ogre/Jack/Jinpachi in the easy side.

To be honest, being decent enough to win with Steve is not that hard. He is an execution monster on paper, but he has decent enough mix-ups without the harder stuff and PAB does the rest. And if we're talking about TTT2, his combos aren't too hard either. I would place Jin in front of him simply for his lack of lows and strong combos.
Also, place Jun behind Dragunov and I'm okay with that list :p
Not too sure about Bob/Jinpachi either. Numb, who's the easier character in your opinion?

EDIT: I didn't read the "competently play in tournament". That's another story. Steve takes first place in that case, no contest.

Ggs Sasuke.

My Paul is getting stronger. It's not "universe" yet but gonna work.

I'm going carefully vacuum my PS3, maybe it's overheat and not YLOD.

I really don't wanna lose my first gen PS3. Buying slim, transferring accounts, hard drives, buying another PS2, I really don't wanna do that.

Ggs. Your Paul becomes a problem again.

You're the first person I know who has a working 1st gen PS3. Seems like you took good care of it. PS3s aren't too expensive now, but it would be bad if it died on you anyway.

Armor King is the hardest character to master IMO. So many difficult execution techniques are required to play him at his optimal level. He is one of the only characters that demands you learn iWR & wave dashing.

Assuming *Master* implies fulfilling the entire potential of the character (i.e. Jin has a universal parry where mastering that move involves experimenting with every string and attack in the game to see what is guaranteed in each moment. Another example where Bob has an infinite, so mastering him means getting the just frame timing of his execution down. Violet has a JF Acid Rain, Angel/AKing have a JF 14 frame launcher with DU & ridiculously hard low parry combo optimization so these characters would technically be pretty hard to master to their full potential)

I guess I needed to explain myself better of what I meant about mastering, but I think you got what I meant with the competent level list. Doing Violet's Acid Rain is cool and all but it isn't as important or even essential as doing b2, Mist Step consistently.

I do agree with Steve being the hardest, although I'm surprised that someone thinks that Jin is much harder than Bob, AK or even Michelle (always thought the Shotgun was hard not to drop, but that's just me).

GrayFoxPL

Beautiful.

Violet
Alex
Alisa
Ogre
Angel
Armor King
Bob
Dragunov
Feng
Ganryu
Jin
Jinpachi
Jun
Kunimitsu
Leo
Michelle
P Jack
Wang
Steve

Difficult to say, some players just do better with certain characters then others.

I'll try from easiest to hardest:
Alisa(?)
Bob
Ogre
Kunimitsu
Jinpachi
Ganryu
Wang
Feng
Leo
Angel
Michelle
P.Jack
Jun
Armor King
Dragunov
Steve
Jin
Violet

It all depends how you look at things. Eg. Dragunov is generally easy but can you do the advanced cc combos from f+3? Angel is the simplest Mishima but with generally bad moves aside Electric, so you gotta work really hard to win. Can you do Violet's Acid Rain just frame on a whim? Online? In ranked? (Nobody does.)

Reporting from Korea...

Well that was very disappointing, I was very excited to finally go to the mythical place, green arcade... So I did, I don't mind if is not luxurious but a good mopping goes a long way....

It was very very dirty, stains everywhere, the "office" was a gigantic messy store house with a refrigerator next to it. From that office is from where they stream.

About the actual arcades.... ! They have ghosting! Straight from the mid 2000s lcds!

It doesn't help that the place is rather small with the windows closed, the noise was unbearable.

And knee wasn't there :/

I'm never going to complain again about the arcades in Japan... Well maybe about smoking inside them but it did put things in perspective for me.

On the good side, it was a third of the price compared to Tokyo.

Daaamn, Korea poor after all?

Ggs. Your Paul becomes a problem again.

You're the first person I know who has a working 1st gen PS3. Seems like you took good care of it. PS3s aren't too expensive now, but it would be bad if it died on you anyway.

Yeah I try to take care of all my stuff, including consoles. I hate when people treat their stuff like shit. My PS1, PS2 are also first gen, and it's just laser that died after those decades of playing. 360 just red ringed after a year like all 360's. Poor quality console tbh. But things like my Gamecube is probably indestructible, it's build like a tank, lol.

Reporting from Korea...

Sounds amazing! You made me want to go more than ever.

AAK

https://t.co/ytSoL3EXWM

Italian TTT2 Tournament in progress. JDCR, Devil, Harry Potter, Bode, and others in attendance. Apparently Bode beat JDCR in one of the round robin sets.

Also:

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/736480306572623877

"3rd, for T7FR, the title will hail a new 'model' for the game. The game will be supported over a long peroid of time."

I change my estimate of T7's console release to 2018.

I do agree with Steve being the hardest, although I'm surprised that someone thinks that Jin is much harder than Bob, AK or even Michelle (always thought the Shotgun was hard not to drop, but that's just me).

Even though I'm not all that good at it, I've seen players absolutely wreck Jin players that can't pressure with wavedashing. I've witnessed a lot of Jin players that couldn't do it and constantly get stepped and punished with ease. That's something Bob really doesn't have to worry about. About Michelle, Shotgun loops in juggles might be hard at first, you just have to realize there's an incredibly generous input window for it and with that comes confidence and consistency. This coming from someone with fairly lackluster execution.

AAK

Or they'll support the Arcade version even after the console version gets released?

Such optimism.... :p

Could definitely be true, but they straight up washed their hands away from TTT2 Arcade once the console version dropped. They didn't even provide them the new movelists of non clone characters like Kunimitsu/Dr. B/A. Ogre or the new stages. Maybe they'll change their ways, but Namco's history doesn't favor that way of thinking hence my skepticism.

Dereck

I don't see a good reason to release a console version of a game that is still profitable in arcades. That doesn't make sense.

AAK

A F2P model for every Tekken fanbase that doesn't have an arcade in their location on steam/consoles to indulge in makes sense to me while waiting for a full on console BRD release.

Doomshine

I don't think Namco's arcade division gives a flying fuck about consoles. Well, other than the fact that they are terrified of a console version being released too early.

AAK

Tekken Revolution shows that it definitely is plausible IMO. All that's left is (like Doomshine said) for Namco to give an F.

Dereck

To me all that Tekken Revolution shows is that Namco is capable of making a F2P game just to see the results. Revolution isn't an arcade mainline title.

I don't see anything that Namco has done or said in the past that would make anything regarding F2P and Tekken 7 have any kind of synchronicity.

If they haven't talked about releasing a beta for console at all or making a F2P Tekken 7.0 or something, I don't see how they would make a F2P version of Fated Retribution in the future, if anything that idea sounds like wishful thinking.

Namco giving a F, I translate that to Namco only cares about Arcade right now because it's profitable, and they aren't focusing on anything regarding console right now because it's not the right time.

AAK

To me, Tekken 7 & Tekken 7: FR's arcade model is pretty much a F2P system. You pay to play for as long as the model let's you to, and when that's over you have to give more money to continue playing. It's very similar to the ticket system. Hence, the T7:FR model can translate pretty seamlessly on a console/steam infrastructure.

I know it isn't happening, i'm just commenting on the fact that a model exists for Namco to make money and profit off the western fanbase using the very same scheme they're utilizing on Asia/Pacific arcade scene. Rather than completely ignore 90% of your market, there are avenues available appease them simultaneously with the eastern world. Hence, either Namco can't see this despite the millions they've made off of Tekken Revolution or they simply don't give an F.

Dereck

They're probably a gamut of concepts like that that Namco has stashed in a drawer somewhere but they aren't being considered just because PUT GAME IN ARCADE, THEN RELEASE ON CONSOLE, is like they're fucking indoctrinated philosophy and they're so adamant on never deviating from it.

sasuke_91

They set their priorities, even if that means neglecting 95% of the players.
If it weren't for the fact that the latest Tekken game is 4 years old and runs on last gen consoles I wouldn't be so mad.

Stay tuned.

LowParry

AAK. Dream killer. I just can't get into other fighters. KI? Nope. SFV? Nope. I go back to play Tekken 6 and man, do I miss Tekken a lot. It's just not the same playing a solo character in Tag 2.

AAK

The blood is on Namco's hands! Not mine!

I dick around with the various inferior 2D fighters out there dropping MKX and (very rarely) SFV in just mess around. Will then have some fun with Revelator when it comes out. Sucks the only other 2 games I take seriously VF5 and SC5 are both in even more dire situations than Tekken. SC maybe has a chance, but VF is gone. I also pretty much closed the book on DOA... really don't see myself going back to that series.

LowParry

There's too many good players online with DOA. I may get into GGX since it's still part of a new crowd. I still need to try out Gargos though in KI. At least that Witcher 3 expansion is next week.

AAK

There is an extremely advanced GG community in my city. One of those guys loves VF, the other is one of the highest ranked Mitsurugi's on XBL. I manage to have a lot of fun games against those guys. When Revelator hits I'm gonna play a lot with LightNight who's in the same skill level as me. It's all about finding people who you can enjoy games with and taking it from there.

GrayFoxPL

I don't see a good reason to release a console version of a game that is still profitable in arcades. That doesn't make sense.

What if they make it the other way around.

New content will be released on arcades first, few months later on console.

That way they can keep higher interest and cash in on arcades and leave console players pissed off. All their favorite things, win-win.

Dereck

Is it really a win-win though?

More like a win 5th place or some shit.

And what I mean is that I think your idea is from the perspective from a person who wants to play the game rather than a company who is trying to maximize profits. Your idea sounds like it could make money but not as much money as putting the game in arcade for like a year and then porting it over.

GrayFoxPL

Is it really a win-win though?

More like a win 5th place or some shit.

And what I mean is that I think your idea is from the perspective from a person who wants to play the game rather than a company who is trying to maximize profits. Your idea sounds like it could make money but not as much money as putting the game in arcade for like a year and then porting it over.

Of course if taking the profits alone they could leave the game till 2020 when they can't make anymore money. But if they like it or not they'll have to think about people's opinion.

I don't think Namco-Bandai, Harada, Murray, Tekken Team want to be called names, made into memes or being mocked or hated for a decade or more because of a comfy business decision.

Right now they are just testing how much can they BEND us before we break.

q8FsHiX.gif

Everyone will get pissed off sooner or later.

uIgUUVq.gif

Dereck

Sz3dugN.gif

We've already watched a game for over year, now we'll have to watch FR for another year and by that point I wonder how much of us will give a shit. Like, I'm sitting here watching Combo Breaker and I'm already getting tired of this FR location test.

While they're being generous by showing us the game, they're also over-exposing unfinished shit and by the time it's finished we will feel like we've had a long relationship with it.

Dereck

lol

I don't even have anything else to say about the situation. These dudes have actually drained all of the concerns I had about their product and now I'm empty.

GrayFoxPL

lol

I don't even have anything else to say about the situation. These dudes have actually drained all of the concerns I had about their product and now I'm empty.

Yeah I think most of us are empty at this point.

Their attitude is like: "Pls don't wait for it but pls don't forget it!"

mQFVXWf.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Bode vs JDCR was crazy close.

Winner Finals: Devil vs JDCR

Damn Devil chokes so hard on JDCR again. I think he said "Every final is the same" to JDCR at the end, lol.

Huh this is the last Tag2 tourney for them. Jumping on T7 on the next tourney. I feel the Italian dude knows something. Like a release date.

Edit: Watch the finals if you want to see JDCR in practice mode.

GrayFoxPL

I caught some FR Paul on stream and dude was basically destroying this Akuma with deathfists.

It seems to me they added even more "levels" of deathfist damage depending on distance. I carefully watched the life bar and it was constantly changing something like 23%, 28%, 32%, 35% etc. and when Paul was raged, one deep deathfist did about 48%.

Of course ch also varies the damage but the various damages really struck me compared to earlier games and vanilla T7. I don't really mind that since Vanilla deathfist damage was simply fucked up high.

One thing did piss me off. I need more footage to confirm but it seems that whenever Paul was hitting opponent little off axis(like with sidestep deathfist) the damage was low even on deep hit.

Now that would be fucked up if true, sidestep deathfist is one of the key shots for Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom