• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Happy to see Injustice winning all the E3 awards for best fighting game with it's 6 character limited vs only demo.

Tekken 7 isn't doing too badly. Injustice 2 also caters more to the casual crowd, what did you expect?

ClG-ypqUoAAnkhg.jpg:large

Sayah

Happy to see Injustice winning all the E3 awards for best fighting game with it's 6 character limited vs only demo.

Does it really matter?

Injustice 2 seems to be a complete recycling of MKX resources anyway. They just put a new coat of paint over the same engine. Pretty underwhelming and doesn't look "next gen." But seeing as it has DC characters, I'm sure people will eat it up.

Does it really matter?

Injustice 2 seems to be a complete recycling of MKX resources anyway. They just put a new coat of paint over the same engine. Pretty underwhelming and doesn't look "next gen." But seeing as it has DC characters, I'm sure people will eat it up.

Just annoyed that no matter what the Tekken team does they just can not get the respect of gaming journalists. IGN about to drop another 7.5 score on a Tekken game just because.

One the bright side.

THEY MADE CLAUDIO'S B+1 SAFE IN FR!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT-vSeWCYhE

Manbig

I don't know, I thought that reveal was aping PT really hard, but with less patience. That said, I haven't played the demo.

Well apparently they had some P.T devs help with it, so that makes sense, but after seeing a lot of the demo being played, it really isn't like P.T at all.

Apparently you cannot get a combo on CH anymore? I'll miss that damage if true.

CH b+1 f+3 f,f,f+2

Where did you hear that cause Kane specifically told me he saw no changes to the move besides that.

Also that combo never works. You need to be point blank and hit CH b+1 to get that combo which should never happeed.

Edit:
Nvm confirmed by Weapon X, no more CH stun. That's fine.

Pachimari

Resident Evil VII is phenomenal, or so is the teaser demo. To me it have potential to be among the top three best Resident Evil games. It's suspenseful, mysterious, interesting, with a bit of small jump scares but most of all a tense atmosphere, and it looks wonderful.

That said, bring on Tekken 7 and Josie!

ZeroX03

Banned
Where did you hear that cause Kane specifically told me he saw no changes to the move besides that.

Also that combo never works. You need to be point blank and hit CH b+1 to get that combo which should never happeed.

Edit:
Nvm confirmed by Weapon X, no more CH stun. That's fine.

First you give me hope, then you take it all away.

AAK

So guys, what games caught your eye on E3? (Aside of Tekken)

- Absolver was my biggest surprise of E3. Melee based Third Person adventure new IP.
- For Honor wowed me last year so I was already sold.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably one of my favorite RPG's, so Mankind Divided is on my radar too. But I'll wait for a price drop... GGXrd:Revelator killed my budget.
- Ni-Oh demo had the combat system I always wanted from the souls series, so I'm sold for that game.
- Injustice 2 was incredibly disappointing to me considering MKX. MKX reanimated every character while Superman, Batman, and Aquaman are almost the same from the original. I expected way more from NRS unless there's some B Team working on it.
- Q1 for 2017 is looking insane: Nier:Automata, RE7, Tekken 7, Horizon:ZD, For Honor. I want to play all of them but money... :(

EDIT: 4:08 in this video: Harada calls out JDCR for not making Tekken look fun to play against.

That surprise reveal for RE7 was the coolest thing to happen in an E3 for a long time. I don't care that it's "not RE" because RE 6 was trash and RE 5, Revelations, and Revelations 2 were mediocre as hell, so "not RE" is a welcome change to me.

Resident Evil VII is phenomenal, or so is the teaser demo. To me it have potential to be among the top three best Resident Evil games. It's suspenseful, mysterious, interesting, with a bit of small jump scares but most of all a tense atmosphere, and it looks wonderful.

You two disappoint me......

sasuke_91

Horizon Zero Dawn looked very cool. Seems like a game I'd like.

Nier Automata, but I have to play Nier first.

Nioh looks solid and I heard good things about the demo.

Spiderman took me by surprise. I liked Spiderman 2 on the PS2 and I hope that this will be a solid Spiderman game again.

The Last Guardian got a release date. Last time this game got a release date it was delayed 5 years.

God of War looks different (of course). I like norse mythology and have nothing against a Genre-shift.

Gravity Rush 2 looks really cool.

Berserk!!! The best manga ever gets a game again. Really weird scene they chose for the announcement though.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 got a new trailer and 0.2 looks really good.

I think that's it. I'm still waiting for that Neo announcement before I decide which PS4 I should buy (I'll probably get the Neo). Still hoping for a 2016 release.

GrayFoxPL

- Absolver was my biggest surprise of E3. Melee based Third Person adventure new IP.
- For Honor wowed me last year so I was already sold.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably one of my favorite RPG's, so Mankind Divided is on my radar too. But I'll wait for a price drop... GGXrd:Revelator killed my budget.
- Ni-Oh demo had the combat system I always wanted from the souls series, so I'm sold for that game.
- Injustice 2 was incredibly disappointing to me considering MKX. MKX reanimated every character while Superman, Batman, and Aquaman are almost the same from the original. I expected way more from NRS unless there's some B Team working on it.
- Q1 for 2017 is looking insane: Nier:Automata, RE7, Tekken 7, Horizon:ZD, For Honor. I want to play all of them but money... :(

EDIT: 4:08 in this video: Harada calls out JDCR for not making Tekken look fun to play against.

Yeah Injustice 2 was a bummer. Maybe their budget to make games with all new animations, no copy-pasting, has run out. Zero hype for this.

I don't see any video in the link, but if Harada blames JDCR for that he's more delusional than I thought. Blame the game, not the player.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE7 - meh, after RE6 being worthless shooting gallery with QTE they went into drastic opposite with 7. It's not even anything original anyway, how many fpp horrors came out lately, dozen? The premise, "found footage" - give me a break. Every low budget horror flick does that. Dat demo - spooky house, scary sounds, squeaky stairs, boo! Geez.
In classic RE if you heard something scary, you took a step forward and whatever made that sound killed you in 5 seconds.

Who would give 2 shits about this game if it was called Haunted House?

I think they slapped Resident Evil on this to shock people on E3 and ride on title's legacy.

I just finished RE0 hour ago for the first time and while I also considered it weak game at first, it grew on me. Game becomes hardcore, fast. After finishing I felt that classic RE satisfaction because the game was so fucking hard it hurt, but it felt good.

RE7 trailer and demo did nothing for me as a classic RE fan. It literally feels like a random game with "stolen" title.

RE2 Remake is the only Resident Evil title I'm looking forward to now. They can make RE8 a cart racer now for all I care.

AAK

All that genius wasted........

The way I see it, the last time RE got a reboot we got RE4, I endorse devs trying to break new frontiers. Besides, the talent who made RE4 what it was probably don't work at Capcom anymore. I think it's time for the current workforce carve out their own identity and pathway for the series.

Rajang

Horizon Zero Dawn - I cant believe this is made by the same dev that made Killzone. The world they created in Horizon looks incredible.

God of War - Perfect time for a reboot. Looks great visually and Kratos finally becoming more than a one dimensional character.

Spiderman - I actually cant believe I'm hyped for this game as I dont even like super hero stuff. I loved watching the Spiderman and X-men cartoons as a kid but hated almost every single superhero movie ever made except Blade 1 and 2.

Kojima - Love his games even though TPP was one of the most dissapointing games ever for me.

RE7 reveal - RE finally going back to their horror roots. Im open to new things. Im also not sure if the final game will be exactly like the demo.

Ni-Oh - I always wanted a souls style game in feudal Japan. The game has incredible combat because of the KI system and makes Souls' stamina management and combat look like a joke in comparison. Switching between different stances and making use of the KI pulse is incredibly satisfying. It looks like a mixture of Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden and Souls. I loved the alpha, cant wait for the beta and the eventual release.

GrayFoxPL

Nier Automata, but I have to play Nier first.

Nier, OST Of The Century for me. Pure bliss.

I gotta replay that soon because I didn't get all the story stuff.

I recommend not to go into it expecting something like Nier Automata. From what I saw in the footage, those games don't have much in common beside that little bit where boss shoots hail of red orbs. I think Automata will be much much closer to hardcore action game like MGR then Nier.

Moar Ni-Oh love, yes! This game will own if they don't pussy out and keep the difficulty crushing.

Numb

Nier - P* goodness. Hyped for the OST.
Persona - Yup. Hope Thanatos is in
Berserk - Finally a Berserk game. Will even take musou
God of War - My boy Teal'c is in.hYPE
Spiderman - Surprised how awesome it was
Zelda -
For Honor - Digging it alot. Didn't expect Ubi to make anything good that ain't Rayman

The way I see it, the last time RE got a reboot we got RE4, I endorse devs trying to break new frontiers. Besides, the talent who made RE4 what it was probably don't work at Capcom anymore. I think it's time for the current workforce carve out their own identity and pathway for the series.

And in retrospect RE4 wasn't much different than the earlier RE games, barely a reboot imo. The only difference was taking the action oriented aspects of RE2 and RE3 to another level. Hell you can mod RE4 with fixed camera angles and it feels just like the previous games except a tinge more linear. That's the genius of RE4. All it did was switch perspectives and built the game around that instead. The spirit of the older games were there. Even with the more distant sequels, the spirit and the B-horror camp was still there. People shit on RE6 but it still was Resident Evil to its very core( and the mechcanics it had were shamefully misused in the campaign). I feel like they are trying to take the atmosphere from REmake and the mechanics from recent FP Horror games and slapping RE on the game and moving on. And even if you were to inject more of RE's spirit from what I played its not a game I'm interested in.

Hopefully REmake 2 will come out and be good but if RE7 is the sole future of the series....I'm out.

btw, no one is talking about the new Zelda because while it looks dope, I doubt many would pick up a wii u or the nx just for it.

AAK

And in retrospect RE4 wasn't much different than the earlier RE games, barely a reboot imo. The only difference was taking the action oriented aspects of RE2 and RE3 to another level. Hell you can mod RE4 with fixed camera angles and it feels just like the previous games except a tinge more linear. That's the genius of RE4. All it did was switch perspectives and built the game around that instead. The spirit of the older games were there. Even with the more distant sequels, the spirit and the B-horror camp was still there. People shit on RE6 but it still was Resident Evil to its very core. I feel like they are trying to take the atmosphere from REmake and the mechanics from recent FP Horror games and slapping RE on the game and moving on. And even if you were to inject more of RE's spirit from what I played its not a game I'm interested in.

Hopefully REmake 2 will come out and be good but if RE7 is the sole future of the series....I'm out.

btw, no one is talking about the new Zelda because while it looks dope, I doubt many would pick up a wii u or the nx just for it.

Fair enough... I do think if they incorporate characters like Ada, Jill, Leon, etc. into the narrative it will feel more like a true sequel to RE. (But I disagree on RE4 not being all that different from RE1-CV. Making that game into a cinematic fixed camera angle makes it unplayable. I think it was a drastic shift in gamepaly)

On the topic of E3, here are other games that I think really deserve mentions are:

Bound: This has some of the best animations I've ever seen.
Manifold garden: First Person puzzle similar to Echochrome. If this game gets VR support, I think I'll convert.
Cluster Truck: An Arcade First Person platformer that just looks so damn fun in an Afterburner Climax sort of way.

Fair enough... I do think if they incorporate characters like Ada, Jill, Leon, etc. into the narrative it will feel more like a true sequel to RE. (But I disagree on RE4 not being all that different from RE1-CV. Making that game into a cinematic fixed camera angle makes it unplayable. I think it was a drastic shift in gamepaly)

Lost in Nightmares says otherwise and that's RE5. The Village at least was made for fixed camera angles from what I've seen. And honestly, if they're going this super serious route, none of the current cast will fit right. Better off using a no name with none of the normal cast.

AAK

If I remember correctly, Lost in Nightmare only had like 1 enemy that kept recurring. It didn't need the RE4 style gameplay. That DLC was pretty much just exploring.

Sayah

Yeah Injustice 2 was a bummer. Maybe their budget to make games with all new animations, no copy-pasting, has run out. Zero hype for this.

MKX sold 5 million copies and that's not including MKXL. Their budget definitely hasn't run out. They just want a quick cash in.

If I remember correctly, Lost in Nightmare only had like 1 enemy that kept recurring. It didn't need the RE4 style gameplay. That DLC was pretty much just exploring.

The first portion of the DLC was built around both styles. You could kill the Hook enemies Fixed or Third person no problem.

I think saying NRS wants a quick cash in is a bit much don't you think?

GrayFoxPL

And in retrospect RE4 wasn't much different than the earlier RE games, barely a reboot imo. The only difference was taking the action oriented aspects of RE2 and RE3 to another level. Hell you can mod RE4 with fixed camera angles and it feels just like the previous games except a tinge more linear. That's the genius of RE4. All it did was switch perspectives and built the game around that instead. The spirit of the older games were there. Even with the more distant sequels, the spirit and the B-horror camp was still there. People shit on RE6 but it still was Resident Evil to its very core( and the mechcanics it had were shamefully misused in the campaign). I feel like they are trying to take the atmosphere from REmake and the mechanics from recent FP Horror games and slapping RE on the game and moving on. And even if you were to inject more of RE's spirit from what I played its not a game I'm interested in.

Can't agree with you. RE4 was nothing like classic RE's. Nothing. Item management, actual puzzles and usually one big map where you explore every single place. Where you enter in door and can come out in other part of "mansion" but still within the same huge area or building where the game takes place. Where it is crucial to revisit areas and they can change so you must find new paths because how puzzles are constructed to make you progress but everything eventually becomes connected. You'll return to familiar spots so you finally memorize the "mansion" like it was your home. RE4 is just plowing level after level, nothing RE about it. Yeah you can go back an area to shoot gems out of nests and sell that shit to the merchant...Yeah.... It never menages to present something as cool as "The Village" where's there's brilliance in new concept of open ended fighting. Everyone remembers the village, but later? Puzzles, what puzzles? Item management? What do you have to menage? Filling everything with herbs, grenades and guns is not item management. In classic RE you must plan every move and every spot in inventory is crucial. When and where use the puzzle items, which are tons of, what to leave for later, what to use now. How badly can I get hurt at this or that place, can I risk this scenario or that? How many bullets I waste on these guys so I can reload and make a crucial spot for an item. Careful planning to minimize backtracking and tough enemy encounters. RE4 is item management and playthrough planning is as deep as: "How do I fit all these fucking guns in my suitcase!?" and "Do I take on him my mid-leveled Magnum or hi-leveled shotgun?!"
Don't get me started on enemies dropping ammo(conveniently the type you're needing even) like it's Christmas.

I really like RE4 because it's a masterpiece action game, but it isn't anything like a classic RE. The philosophy, game design and gameplay is far different fundamentally.
And no modding static cams doesn't make it classic, it's totally missing the point.

People shit on RE6 but it still was Resident Evil to its very core

DRPr3FL.gif

What "core" Resident Evil? Run'n'gunning through COD corridors like mad? QTE climbing a ladder or fire up a car? This game on launch was such a shit show of QTE's they patched out like half of them, and I finished the game before that. Still can feel that bad taste in my mouth. The good things in 6 were decent online co-op and wide range of movement.

GrayFoxPL

Open world Zelda could be fun if it isn't buried in meaningless filler activities.

Who knows, if everything clicks it could set a new standards for open world games.

Doesn't look very pretty though.

Wizard World is coming up with the #TekkenTalk and I just remembered about MarkMan pooling together questions for the show. I'm not sure how exactly but If you're going to read them live on the show, I'll slightly phrase it that way.

Anywho, questions for #TekkenTalk:

--

1. Part of an enjoyable online experience is good match making. With Tekken 7, you sometimes see that some of the better players every now and then play their lower ranked 'sub characters' to fight lower or newer players. Will there be measures to combat this?

(Kazunoko was a recent example of someone who recently played Tekken 7 but got demolished running into every other good players's sub haha.)

2. Thanks for the steam version of Tekken 7! Will we be getting all the bells and whistles to come with the PC and have it be a good version? Higher resolutions (4k), support for multiple monitors, AA, AF etc.

3. Back in Tekken 4, you were able to move your characters around the stage before the match started. Will you ever consider adding this back in?

4. Since most characters got a new default costume for FR, will we be getting another batch of character artwork panels by jbstyle, Junny, Shunya Yamashita & Tomio Fujisawa?

5. You mentioned before that when Tekken 7 drops on consoles, it's going to be feature complete and have everything from the arcade version. Is there plans to give the console versions post launch support after it drops in early 2017?

That's all for now but I might come back with more later.

oh and of course 'where's Lei' plz.

Fraeon

I'm welcoming of the new approaches the God of War and the Resident Evil series are taking. The RE series had kind of just settled on churning out worse and worse versions of RE4 and God of War just had few places to go after GoW3.

It reminds me of the disappointment I had with Tekken 7 initially (and still have a bit) where in the changes from TTT2 are pretty tiny in comparison. The game is good no doubt but such safety after years of T5 style gameplay is boring I feel. I'll still get it but the genre really needs something new at this point. Tekken seems like the only fish in the 3D versus fighter pond now with Soulcalibur and Virtua Fighter more or less dead.

Wizard World is coming up with the #TekkenTalk and I just remembered about MarkMan pooling together questions for the show.

I know Reepal is going to pop up with some questions of his own, he'll be at that talk show too IIRC. Maybe you want to send these questions his way if you have contacts with him.

If I'm going to ask something for the Tekken dev team:

In regards to the matchmaking in the latest Tekken games, the search parameters can be set to search for people that you can have the highest connection quality possible (5 Bars), the matchmaking system will find you a person that meets the search parameters chosen, but once you get inside the game the connection quality start dropping down.

Question 1: What causes this problem? Why the game keeps pairing me with players that don't meet the connection quality previously set?

Question 2: How is Tekken 7 matchmaking system going to handle the problem mentioned in the previous question?

Question 3: Is there going to be an in-game filtering system where a player can manually opt-out harassers, players with bad internet connection, players with higher skill level, rage quitters or any reasonable player-related issue from ever getting matched with players that bring these said issues?

Question 4: Isn't it more accurate for the players to display to them the time data packets transfer between peers - also known as Latency - in milliseconds (ms) rather than showing it in arbitrary signs or numbers like it is now? Shouldn't that also be the way of choosing the connection quality?

Question 5: Is World Arena going to come back in Tekken 7? (World Arena is the region based lobby system that is currently available only in TTT2)

Question 6: Is each version of Tekken 7 (PC/PS4/XBONE) going to support cross-platform play between each other or not? If yes, is the PC version going to have cross-platform play between the two consoles or just one of them? Is the PC version going to be Windows only or is it coming out on Mac and Linux operating systems?

-=-=-=-=- END OF QUESTIONS -=-=-=-=-

Of course, I know the answer for the first question. it's because one or all of the players in the online match have shitty/wifi/4G LTE internet. I just want to know their answer in addition that it will give them a clear idea of how to answer the third question about filtering people with shitty internet. It's my legitimate number reason on why I don't use their shitty matchmaking system and I want them to know that this is a problem that they NEED to fix in some way or another.

AAK

My questions to MarkMan to ask during Tekken Talk:

#1) The biggest blemish of Tekken 7 right now is the lack of a proper screw attack animation on a Back Turned launch animation. Any plans to remedy this and add one into the game? It looks incredibly goofy having an animation meant to show someone travelling one direction, yet in reality they're moving in the opposite direction lacking any sense of rigid body motion.

#2) The current customization system recycles so many attires from Tekken Tag Tournament 2. It looks like Tekken 7:FR is continuing to recycle a lot of them as seen from the recent Yamasa x Tekken 7 items. These items are always oversized, feature completely flat textrues, lack any sort of cloth/deformation physics seen in the default outfits, and cause major clipping issues especially on the larger characters like Jack. Why are these customization outfits & accessories originating from TTT2 with such a huge discrepency of quality and assets allowed in this game?

#3) If Namco are still going to feature these wacky customs from TTT2, will you have a feature to disable customizations from appearing when playing online against others?

#4) Fight Lab in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was a monumental failure. The 2 main basics of Tekken were completely ignored which was the wake-up system and movement system. How will you go about teaching these fundamental concepts in Tekken 7?

#5) Western development studios like Lab Zero, Iron Galaxy, and now recently even Netherrealm Studios managed to make really good online netcodes that don't require so much built in input lag. Any plans for Tekken to evolve their system so that Tekken no longer needs to be played with 7-8 frames of built in input lag for the console release?

#6) Thank you so much for having a steam release for Tekken 7. Will you be able to enable PCxPS4 crossplay like in SFV (which also allows you to filter whether you only want to fight vs-consoles or vs-consoles+PC)?

Dereck

3 more weeks and we'll never have to watch this ol dust ass, ol faded, washed out colored, 10 year old costume for every character havin ass, bland graphics havin, over 1 year old ass Tekken 7.0 ever again and we'll get to watch this ol brand new, ol extra colorful n shit, ol brand new costumes for all characters, new stage, new characters havin ass fated retributon.

3 more weeks

sasuke_91

Nier, OST Of The Century for me. Pure bliss.

I gotta replay that soon because I didn't get all the story stuff.

I recommend not to go into it expecting something like Nier Automata. From what I saw in the footage, those games don't have much in common beside that little bit where boss shoots hail of red orbs. I think Automata will be much much closer to hardcore action game like MGR then Nier.

I don't even know what to expect to be honest, but I heard the story was very good. I was sold already when I heard the soundtrack though.

Zelda looks really good in my opinion. I like the artstyle and the game looks fun. I'm not willing to buy a new console for the game though, so I didn't mention it.

3 more weeks and we'll never have to watch this ol dust ass, ol faded, washed out colored, 10 year old costume for every character havin ass, bland graphics havin, over 1 year old ass Tekken 7.0 ever again and we'll get to watch this ol brand new, ol extra colorful n shit, ol brand new costumes for all characters, new stage, new characters havin ass fated retributon.

3 more weeks

2.5 weeks, actually :p

Doomshine

Questions for Tekken Talk:

Will there be a special edition similar to the We Are Tekken edition?

What is your stance on people modding the PC version, will you interfer with it in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom