• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

Don't worry about winning matches. Here's speedkick's advice for people that are stuck in that mid-level plateau not struggling to ascend to a higher level status. Try creating goals within your play style that try to accommodate the things SK mentions into your game plan. Even if you lose, as long as you apply those things things will improve.

In terms of execution I might have #1 down, but in terms of "gameplay reflecting what's in my mind" I have a long way to go. Same with #3. I know when to duck strings and how to punish some stuff, but there are too many situations that I'm unfamiliar with and too many moves I don't block and punish on time because of #1.
#2 might be my biggest problem and the one I have to focus a lot on. Seeing what my opponent is trying to do and responding to it. Sometimes I feel like I follow my own "screenplay" without considering what my opponent is doing.

*sigh* This game... it's making me crazy :D

GrayFoxPL

Staying negative with you guys around is basically impossible :p

I don't know why the frustration got so bad lately. I played a few rounds with Ice_Beam some time ago and it seemed like he knew exactly what I would do in every situation to the point where I questioned every move I wanted to make which only made it worse. He destroyed me in a way that I haven't been destroyed in a long time. Granted he's one of the best players in Germany, but I didn't know my playstyle was THAT predictable. At that point I realized what I lacked, but instead of motivating me it kind of made me succumb to that weird frustration.
Someone once told me I should be "more than JFSR" and I think I haven't gotten to that point yet. I want to get to a point where I feel like the moves I use are the right ones in that situation, where my playstyle "makes sense". Sometimes I still stand in front of a lying opponent and instead of proper Okizeme I start throwing out random moves that wouldn't even catch him if he stood up the wrong way. Sometimes I sidestep after getting hit or fall for the same trap 2-3 times. My backdash is so weird sometimes that I forget to hold up my defense and get launched. That's the things I have to work on, but instead I panic and do the same mistakes when I'm in a match.

The best place to learn how to deal with stress is Ranked battles, but that's probably where my bad habits come from. Sometimes I watch replays of matches I lost and don't understand what I was doing. I can't learn from those mistakes because it was too random in that situation to begin with.
I hit a wall half a year ago and I stopped improving since then. It's hard to stay motivated at that point. My execution and combos are pretty good, I can sidestep stuff and my movement isn't bad and I even break throws occasionally. Other than that I have a long way to go, but I'll hang in there. I promise :p

You will do well, you didn't even hit half of your potential.

I already said this before but a really fun way to use character's moveset to full extend is one button (or limb) training. You pick your character and one button (or eg right leg) and try to go through arcade mode using only that. It may seem silly at first but it quickly gives you fresh look at your moveset. Thanks to such handicap you will quickly figure out new ideas how and when to use moves, things you never thought off, increases reaction time and effectiveness using certain moves(because you can't use others) and helps to memorize moveset. I think anyone has times when in critical situation tries to remember "What my character has for this?!" and runs a moveset list in his/her mind but it's too late.

Eg. Picking up Steve and left punch. How far you can go with b+1, uf+1, fff+1, flicker 1 ect.? Doing df+1,2~1 also counts because it's left punch into left punch. Interesting is qcf+1, underused move with huge range that is worth training.

sasuke_91

You will do well, you didn't even hit half of your potential.

I already said this before but a really fun way to use character's moveset to full extend is one button (or limb) training. You pick your character and one button (or eg right leg) and try to go through arcade mode using only that. It may seem silly at first but it quickly gives you fresh look at your moveset. Thanks to such handicap you will quickly figure out new ideas how and when to use moves, things you never thought off, increases reaction time and effectiveness using certain moves(because you can't use others) and helps to memorize moveset. I think anyone has times when in critical situation tries to remember "What my character has for this?!" and runs a moveset list in his/her mind but it's too late.

Eg. Picking up Steve and left punch. How far you can go with b+1, uf+1, fff+1, flicker 1 ect.? Doing df+1,2~1 also counts because it's left punch into left punch. Interesting is qcf+1, underused move with huge range that is worth training.

I should try that. So I can only use strings with one limb? With Steve that would mean left and right punch. Stuff like WS 1+2 would count as a right punch I suppose.
Sounds interesting.

GrayFoxPL

I should try that. So I can only use strings with one limb? With Steve that would mean left and right punch. Stuff like WS 1+2 would count as a right punch I suppose.
Sounds interesting.

Yes, and later you can modify it however it suits you.

Let's say doing hardcore stuff like doing only 1+2. If someone trained that to the bone he'd be the best sonic fang'ing, sendo smashing, punch parrying Steve player there is.

Imagine you can parry 50 or 60% of punches on reaction, especially those that give opponent frame advantage. That be something, right?

That's why I love Tekken, there's always so many ways one can improve, it's crazy.

Dereck

Don't worry about winning matches. Here's speedkick's advice for people that are stuck in that mid-level plateau not struggling to ascend to a higher level status. Try creating goals within your play style that try to accommodate the things SK mentions into your game plan. Even if you lose, as long as you apply those things things will improve.
Speedkicks spittin' hot fire

Sayah

Preview look at tekkengamer.com

I think I might migrate over here if it's an active site. Looks modern and not the janky mess like Tekken Zaibatsu. I just hope it has a main forum page that lists all the recently active topics instead of segregating discussion into 50 different sub-forums like TZ does (and like World Tekken Federation did).

ClhDZ_tVAAAXD1u.jpg:large

Showing my age here, but I'm hella bias in regards to TZ. I opened my account there around the time of the TTT1 regionals. Made a lot of friends there over the years and used their matchmaking section to start locals in my town. That's all outdated now, though. But I'm just a sentimental old man I guess.

I'm always game for something more active though, so maybe it's time to move on....
oldyeller.gif

EDIT
Welp. The host of tekkengamer made a "fam" reference...
FacepalmTransformers.jpg

sigh.

GrayFoxPL

Showing my age here, but I'm hella bias in regards to TZ. I opened my account there around the time of the TTT1 regionals. Made a lot of friends there over the years and used their matchmaking section to start locals in my town. That's all outdated now, though. But I'm just a sentimental old man I guess.

I'm always game for something more active though, so maybe it's time to move on....
oldyeller.gif

EDIT
Welp. The host of tekkengamer made a "fam" reference...
FacepalmTransformers.jpg

sigh.

I rememember seeing MarkMans T4 king and the before that excitment for T4 beta test, pics where you could not see anything . Those were the TZ days. The rumour and legend factor was tthrough the roof!

Who is behind Tekken Gamer?

I rememember seeing MarkMans T4 king and the before that excitment for T4 beta test, pics where you could not see anything . Those were the TZ days. The rumour and legend factor was tthrough the roof!

Who is behind Tekken Gamer?
No idea, but I will agree Tekken needs a fresh new place for the gathering of fans. Something modern and less exclusive than our options now.
What's the issue?
I was being dramatic. I've been used to people saying it a joking way for so long that when I see it used seriously, I do a double take. It's a minor thing with me at best. Otherwise, I support the site and what they're doing. I'm up for a new, active place to talk Tekken.

GrayFoxPL

Guys, if any old stages were gonna be remade in T7, which would be nice candidates? Pick 2.

Mine:

Pirate Cove
(T5DR)

G6RvdVK.jpg

SO8vcUW.jpg

shb8jnq.jpg

PS2 hardware didn't give justice to the whole idea of this stage. I think in T7 it would look insane. Imagine ultra detailed pirate ship, cave and sea and hundreds of gold coins being scattered between fighter's feet all with physics implemented. Soo good.

Beach (T4)
bRwqRCQ.jpg

mVmBFyp.jpg

There's no beach stage in T7 - the fuck is that all about?
Waves, sand in 3D with physics. Bright colors everywhere. Beautiful Blue Blue Sky. Ahhhh. You don't even wanna fight, just relax on a beach drinking dem juices. Haha.

I'm just not sure T7 could handle all this yet. We see rain, but no pools of water. We saw falling snow but no piles of 3d snow characters interact with. The fruits on market stage get their physics turned off after hitting the stage. etc.

I hope FR gets upgraded in the future with more physics and effects. This stuff could look insane then.

Rheon

I've always wanted to see Lei's TTT1 stage back, it's one of my faves in Tekken ever

latest

Sure we've got stages similar to this in T5 and T6 but there's something about this particular stage.

Skyring would also be great to see back

latest

Or like somewhere high in the mountains.

GrayFoxPL

Lei's street stage is so boss. Nothing screams "Fight" like a HongKong street.

Skyring was always so odd for me. I mean someone build a ring in the clouds. o_O

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I think Final Frontier could be really cool with some dramatic lighting. Especially if the fighting platform was actually moving over the space colony buildings during the fight. Maybe on round 3, they could actually descend down into it so you could see a sort of Fallen Colony type area without the destruction.

the_final_frontier.jpg

I also feel like Tekken 7 is missing one of those secluded, intimate woodsy stages.

I think a stage with elements of Serene Forest from Tekken 2

and Mystical Forest from Tekken 6

and maybe even Jungle from Tekken 4 (minus the elevation issues)

could be cool. They'd really have to nail the lighting and music though.

I think a new version of Skyring could also be really nice (moreso the Tekken 3 version than the Tekken Tag version with all the soldiers and helicopters flying around [though the tag version has killer music]), but I'm worried it might be too similar to Dragon's Nest.

AAK

If the wall mechanics revolved around a brand new system then maybe I'd have been interested in seeing how old stages would work in the new system. However, since the system is almost identical as to how things were 10 years ago, I'm more inclined to see new stuff.

Rheon

I think a new version of Skyring could also be really nice (moreso the Tekken 3 version than the Tekken Tag version with all the soldiers and helicopters flying around [though the tag version has killer music]), but I'm worried it might be too similar to Dragon's Nest.

Damn, totally forgot Dragon's Nest covers 'high in the mountains'.

Creaking

If the wall mechanics revolved around a brand new system then maybe I'd have been interested in seeing how old stages would work in the new system. However, since the system is almost identical as to how things were 10 years ago, I'm more inclined to see new stuff.

I think we're mostly interested in how things would look with the visual fidelity of modern graphics rather than how they would behave with new mechanics. Although stuff like wall and floor breaks allow for natural expansion of older stages.

That said, it took me a while to find stages that I think would be neat redone (and that wouldn't overlap too much with what's already present), so I suppose I'm more interested in new stages too.

GrayFoxPL

I miss cool complex stages of T4 with irregular objects like phone booths, parked cars, trees, a fucking airplane one huge airport stage! All those square boxes are depressing in comparison. I know it's for cohesive gameplay but man aren't they boring as shit.

Rheon

Speaking of stages, I can't be the only one who has an issue with low/invisible walls in Tekken.

Tekken will never incorporate ringouts and not every stage can have a high wall so I guess it's a catch 22.

Creaking

Speaking of stages, I can't be the only one who has an issue with low/invisible walls in Tekken.

Tekken will never incorporate ringouts and not every stage can have a high wall so I guess it's a catch 22.

They could have more stage transitions though. Still won't look great with high walls that aren't legitimately just flat walls though, like those with uneven surfaces. Gameplay consistency vs visual design and appeal I guess.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah it's like they are fighting in VR room. Those things in background don't really exist, lol.

They should just flip or fly over waist high wall and continue fighting in another part of the stage like in DOA. But let's face it it's just easier to draw a square and pretty background.

I love Tekken backgrounds, it's modeling and details no matter the game in the series. It's just only in T4 it played such a huge role in actual fighting.

+1 for Serene Forest remake
+1 for Lei /Hong Kong stage remake
+2 for a Beijing street stage with a traditional Dragon Festival in the background
+1 for a Paul stage somewhere so he can break a wall in real time. wuuAHHH!

-1 for parade stage from tag2. #NeverParadeStage

Dereck

I don't care so much for bringing a stage back but rather referencing that the stage is old and that it's in a new game. Maybe having a Tekken character who isn't playable in the background, visible. Kind of like in Street Fighter IV or Tekken 6.

This stage would have to be edited to fit Tekken 7, but maybe have more people around and a Tekken character buying Chinese food in the background or something.

grcNoRI.jpg

The "bring the this stage back but make it look better" idea is cool but there's a lot of stuff that can be added to that.

All this fresh blood in the 360 version of TTT2 tho...
I'm looking forward to this. I've been locked up in ghost battles to get all the customs again, and to make that shop $. Got a few buddies from work that wanna fire up the game for old times sake since the X1 has kinda brought us together again.

May or may not stream though, considering it would be a total scrub fest at this point.

I do see a LOT of Tekken tag 2 streams lately though, which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom