• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/567874692972851200

Another legacy skill I trained for... no longer needed? Ah well... should be good for newcommers I guess.

EDIT: WOAH, they're going overboard with making everyone able to break throws:

https://twitter.com/Flying_Wonkey/status/567921836186411008

This changes EVERYTHING.... I would like to play a character that can mix people up with throws forcing them to watch my hands. This makes characters like Leo, Steve, Feng, Kazuya, and others a no go for me since they have no command grabs that use 1 or 2 breaks. They only have 1+2 break command grabs.

Sayah

I'm quite happy with this throw break change.

Seems like they're trying their best to make the game easier to learn. That can only mean good things for newcomers after the complexity of TTT2 turned so many people away.

AAK

For around 2 weeks I spent an hour a day training to break throws on reaction.... haha yo people better start playing this game. Okizeme is severely nerfed and now throw breaks too? Newbie paradise I tell ya.

Interesting thing... every new character after Tekken 6:

Leo, Zafina, Miguel, Bob, Lars, Alisa, Jinpachi, True Ogre, Kunimitsu, Dr. B

With the exception of Jun, none of those characters have command grabs that require a 1 or 2 break.

If none of the new characters that I was planning on jumping to don't have them either... I guess I will have to play a legacy character.

AAK

Generic grab = 1+3 and 2+4

Every other grab I call it a command grab.

So generic grabs, you just have to push any punch attack and you win.... command grabs are still fair game. But apparently the throw break window was also increased.

Well, you can still use that training in TTT2. :p

I REALLY wanted to play a brand new T7 exclusive character.... anyone else I know I'd feel bored with after I've experienced them so much in TTT2 :(

Please Namco give any of the characters (except LC) multiple command throws... please!

EDIT: so Dragunov's 2+3 and 1+4 grabs still demand you to anticipate the hands.

Sayah

I'm not quite understanding this news. Are 1+2 break throws considered generic?

Can't break 1+2's so this news potentially doesn't help me D:

I am thinking generic throws are the 1+3 and 2+4 that every character has.

But certain characters have command throws. Like King's giant swing would still only be broken with 1 and not 2 (if I'm understanding all of this right).

1+2 throws would still require pressing 1+2 to break.

I REALLY wanted to play a brand new T7 exclusive character.... anyone else I know I'd feel bored with after I've experienced them so much in TTT2 :(

Please Namco give any of the characters (except LC) multiple command throws... please!

If Nina is revamped right, she might be the one.

I do not like the report that throws are easy to break. However, I am all for throws being 1 or 2 break. The hours I trained, even when I cared enough to sit and break throws in practice mode for eight hours straight. The fact that a 1+2 break is basically a button just frame and no amount of practice can prevent a finger roll in grand finals. I cheer for the change. Now just make throw breaking super hard because without 1+2's. Reaching perfect throw breaking is now possible for anybody with minimal practice.

Edit:
Wonkey
"Okay got confirmation. Just the generic throws can be broken with either 1 or 2. Not the character specfic left hand or right hand throws."

Ohhh..... Maybe Street Fighter-esque, but uhh... hmm...

DEATH™

TTT1-T4 is completely different. 80% of the scene went back to TTT1 and the rest still stuck to play T4.

Also, T4 was a completely different game.

T7 plays exactly the same to TTT2 solo mode + screw attack/armor. If you know how to play one, chances are you'll be equally competent at the other.

That's overestimate... A big part still played TTT1, some stayed for T7, and some picked up Calibur...

GrayFoxPL

I don't know. I asked one of them once and he just told me that he "hacked his way" to True Tekken God. I didn't really care. Let him have his shiny rank if he needs it in his life.
And then there's people like Princess Ling who is a real Tekken God popping up between the cheaters :D

Someone told me I should back to ranking since I have improved quite a bit. Little did he know that I did nothing but play ranked these last few weeks^^

It's a hack with usb stick I think. Mostly used by those with pirate copies. They set up any rank with these. But why would those retards do it anyway. If they suck, they would be matched with real good players on ranked. On any other mode they would just embarrass themselves to any other player.

How incredibly dumb you must be to artificially up your rank without any skill to back it up? Many idiots out there. Way too many.

Worse when good players lower their rank(or use new accounts) to bully others. These are just lowlife human pieces of shit scum.

Wonkey pouring WATERFALLS of info. Wow!

I like that. She even looks quite normal in devil form. I like bosses like that. No more retarded huge ass Chickens or Ogre's that look like random pile of shit where you have no idea what moves he does.

Lucky Chloe is a breakdancing character, so AAK, if she looked like this, would it change your mind about the character?

Yeah, just drop retarded look and acting and way of talking. Isn't she an adult woman? Acting like an infant is just embarrassing and cringe worthy.

B-GLXD_CIAARctw.jpg

Beautiful boss!

Safe, mid, high crush, tracking, long range launcher, does 28 damage.

So what? People seem to forget Kaz can only activate Devil on red life. One decent move and he's dead.

Another legacy skill I trained for... no longer needed? Ah well... should be good for newcommers I guess.

This changes EVERYTHING.... I would like to play a character that can mix people up with throws forcing them to watch my hands. This makes characters like Leo, Steve, Feng, Kazuya, and others a no go for me since they have no command grabs that use 1 or 2 breaks. They only have 1+2 break command grabs.

Wow I already knew they put huge Revolution throwbreak windows in T7. And if I break throws in Revo then someone really good would never get thrown.

Now this is another level, lol. But the real problem someone (wait it was You!)already pointed out - all post DR characters only have 1+2 special throws. Only Jun is an exception. This is crippling those characters.

I wouldn't be too worried. This is still beta. If most people will hate it they'll change shit before March release.

The huge throwbreak windows are already enough for noobs and will probably stay.

I'm really happy the game is really fast again after shitty Korean build! Also Chloe getting destroyed left and right warms my grumpy heart.

Degen

you mean I can finally break throws??

but if it applies to every throw across the board, NO ES BUENO for the Jaguar

and Devil Kazumi looks like a damn Mugen character

oh god there are two Kaz's now and they're both Devil-related wtf

WAIT WHY ARE THEY GIVING JINPACHI'S MOVESET AWAY FFFFFFFFF

HARADA PLSSSSS

don't give me a character that awesome and just take him away. let's start an online petition yeah those always work

sasuke_91

Damn. Wonkey with his info overkill.

First thing I thought was Amaterasu from Okami

Haha, she looks okay though, although I prefer her human form.

Lucky Chloe is a breakdancing character, so AAK, if she looked like this, would it change your mind about the character?

Even if you remove her cat paws, she still acts like a moe anime-character. That "nya" is so obnoxious.

That is one beautiful woman^^

Okay this is weird. So most characters have 2 different throw breaks now. And for King you just mash 1 now, since that's his only dangerous throw he has...
I am starting to be able break throws more often, but it seems like everyone can do it now. I think throws are something you won't see in tournaments anymore.

ic5OA0L39JDz2.gif

ibitijor50i6Hc.gif

1,2,3 Shut the fuck up.

Very unsafe character. Her dancing around can be interrupted really easily. I wonder if she's a character that will even be used by pros...

The window being larger is unnecessary if you're gonna make 1 or 2 break generic throws.

At this point its not about newbies its about making the game better in general. The oki change is for the better, this....not so much.

Manbig

Okay this is weird. So most characters have 2 different throw breaks now. And for King you just mash 1 now, since that's his only dangerous throw he has...
I am starting to be able break throws more often, but it seems like everyone can do it now. I think throws are something you won't see in tournaments anymore.

Negative. This actually wouldn't affect King at all assuming that he has all of the same throws.

I do think that this is a poor change. They should have just went with the Soul Calibur guessing game throw break system, but with wider break windows in my opinion. All this does is remove the "counter hit" effect that throws had before, where grabbing someone while they were inputting a move with the opposite button would get them thrown. It really doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, I wouldn't call Chloe super punishable just because of those gifs. We all know that people will figure out how and when to use that kind of junk. I don't mind seeing her do dumb shit that will only get newbies and bad players killed even quicker though.

Doomshine

I'm sure Chloe has some quick option from the stance that will beat out most things, even Dr. B has that.

For throws I think bigger break window seems to be the most significant change, assuming they give characters command 1 and 2 throws. Then again, maybe they want some characters to have a bad throw game compared to others.

AAK

@Manny

I don't think making Tekken's grabs soul calibur-like works IMO. I'm no SC expert but this is how I felt when I was grinding on SCV:

The movement system is SC is a lot more dynamic than say in Tekken because of how much people can move around and how quickly they can recover and block/attack after their desired movement. Hence I found throws have that risk to them getting punished heavily along with the range being quite small where the majority of the weapons have massive range (relative to Tekken). That's why it makes sense for it to be a 50/50 guess.

Tekken on the other hand being a non-weapon based fighter relying only on hand-to-hand combat leaves people at that range where grabs can reach a far greater amount of time than SC I felt. Considering the frequency of being at that specific range iff Tekken were to make it 50/50 along with the fact that grabs take priority over strikes unlike Virtua Fighter, throws would be way too dangerous in my opinion. Characters like King when their back is to the wall would be so dangerous since I'd have to guess between a tombstone or a giant swing.

And also, I always preferred Tekken's throw system over the VF system where throws lose to strikes regardless of which would connect first. I felt much more in control with the way Tekken handled things.

But I can really see how this new change in system affects some characters. Lili already lost so much with the okizeme changes, now she along with Xiaoyu lost their BT throw mixups as well! I'm so sorry NinthPixel!

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/RavenboyRH/status/568051669356802048

Dean_cry_gif_by_agigi111.gif

Friend of mine said this with regard to throws in T7:

Since unique throws still are broken by their usual button. Grapplers get better throw game. Generic grappling takes a hit, which is good because grappler characters didn't really have anything to distinguish them from the rest This also puts more emphasis on knowing tools certain characters have for matchups. Rather than just spending hours in training mode doing breaks.

They still will have to spend hours in training mode to learn how to break the grabs those grapplers have.

His argument is that time spent in Training mode should be on things like match-ups. He thinks Tekken is way too homogenized for its own good.

Pachimari

What are some good moves to practice in Training mode with Bruce Irvin in Tekken Tag 2, if I have just started out with him? I can't even do bounce or juggles, and I want to get this down.

AAK

His argument is that time spent in Training mode should be on things like match-ups. He thinks Tekken is way too homogenized for its own good.

It's true that it is getting less homogenized, but the practice mode comment doesn't make sense to me. Instead of practicing for hours learning how to break throws that applied to the entire cast... now we are practicing for hours learning how to break throws for a small number of the cast.

What are some good moves to practice in Training mode with Bruce Irvin in Tekken Tag 2, if I have just started out with him? I can't even do bounce or juggles, and I want to get this down.

I think you'll get a better idea looking at something like this rather than me talking about a character I have no idea how to play :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU34e5jCHqE

It's true that it is getting less homogenized, but the practice mode comment doesn't make sense to me. Instead of practicing for hours learning how to break throws that applied to the entire cast... now we are practicing for hours learning how to break throws for a small number of the cast.

Honestly you won't need to spend too much time learning those grabs compared to learning how to break throws in previous games. King for example, The only real mixup he'll use is GS and Shining Wizard. Not much to practice really, more of a Soul Calibur-esque guess than having to "learn" how to break the throw. Same with the very few other grapple heavy characters. Most of their command grabs are broken with 1+2. Once you get that down...there's not much practice mode left. Compared to the hours upon hours you'd have to do learning how to react properly and break throws in TTT2.

AAK

Honestly you won't need to spend too much time learning those grabs compared to learning how to break throws in previous games. King for example, The only real mixup he'll use is GS and Shining Wizard. Not much to practice really, more of a Soul Calibur-esque guess than having to "learn" how to break the throw. Same with the very few other grapple heavy characters. Most of their command grabs are broken with 1+2. Once you get that down...there's not much practice mode left. Compared to the hours upon hours you'd have to do learning how to react properly and break throws in TTT2.

I disagree, King isn't the only one. THere is dragunov where you have to read the hands for b+1+4 and d/f+2+3. There is Hwoarang where you have to read the hands for qcb+1 and 2+4~b. Asuka has d/f+2+3. Whenever Nina gets revealed she has her d/f+1+3 and d/f+2+4 variations. For getting the matchup for those characters you'll need to learn how to throwbreak at equal skill levels to TTT2.

Or maybe I'm not understanding your argument correctly.

Yeah but that's only a few members of the cast. So instead of the barrier of learning to break generic throws, the time spent on that is lessened. Now you have to learn those few select characters which doesn't equal the amount of time you'd take learning to break generic throws AND character specific throws.

So less time spent in practice mode. Less stuff to learn. You're still gonna be in practice mode regardless but you spend less time.

My friend's issues with Tekken(he used to play T6, dropped it at TTT2) stem from the large wall of mid-level play(the need to practice throwing breaking as extensively as you do for example) and the lack of true match-ups. Its not really my argument but I understand his point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom